Aberrant RPG - Background questions

The White Rat

It says that a nova can remove another nova's eufiber and attune it to themselves. When that happens, I assume you would gain a dot in eufiber. If the eufiber has a 3 dot capacity, do you gain three dots, or does it start at one because it is a connection between that particular nova and eufiber?

For resources, and this is a situation that has happened to the White Rat, if you happen upon a large quantity of cash, do you actually gain resource dots? Considering it is not real property like a house, does it simply allow you to purchase things at a commensurate resource point cost until the money is depleted?

Assuming that each of the scenarios are role played out, how would the backgrounds be affected?

For Eufiber if you stole a 5 pip colony you would gain a 5 pip colony. However I do not think the residual Quantum stored in the eufiber would be yours to have. Meaning you would have to reattune it and fill it with your own Quantum.

As for sudden jumps in income. I would say resource could be a fluxating background when you live from bankheist to bankheist. But for intent and purpose I would mark it higher then lower it the longer I went before the next heist.

Wakinyan has the right of it on eufiber. A colony is a colony at whatever rating and what you steal is what you get. Same with money.

However, and this is game mechanics come into play and its related to your resource question, if you want to keep a background at a certain level then you pay the points. Failing that the money is squandered on toys or other things and someone else steal your new eufiber or you find out its sick and you're going to lose it to disease.

Alternately, theft can be the explanation for how you acquire some backgrounds. The drawback being if you ever stop then it goes away. Think of it as a background using the ablative limitation.

Rather than stealing a eufiber colony, could it be purchased instead. Would you still have to spend the experience points in doing so? Or could you just fork over the appropriate amount of resources and bingo...a five dot eufiber with no experience expenditure necessary?

How would you determine what level of eufiber colony is stolen? Would the eufiber colony's level depend on experience spent or randomy rolled?

You would get a 3 dot set of Eufiber. The dots are for how much/powerful the eufiber is, not how much 'attunement' you have with it. You still have to attune it (per the rules), but it wont fluxuate unless you devide it up or add it to another colony.

As for resources, its easy enough to do. Get a reason to increase it (like investing what you have or what you have earned through an elite job or somesuch), spend the XP to up it and there you have it. If you had *just* gotten cash, no investments or anythings...I would wait till you had the amount that the amount would be liquidated before upping it. Then once you spent the cash would would drop the amount.

In all honesty if I was ST, I would just say that you had that much cash to spend if you didnt invest it or put it in the bank or anything like that. No manipulation of the Resources rank, you just have that to spend.

You *always* have to have a reason to up a background. An Ally wont just appear. A contact just dosen;t call you and say 'hey, we never met before, but I wanna be your friend!'. Money dosen't come from no where...and Eufiber only comes from one source.

If you want a colony, you may not have to pay *cash*, but you will have to something to get it (in addition to pating the XP cost).

So if I wanted to purchase a railgun off the black market, I could, but it would lower my cash reserves. If I wanted to convert the cash to resource dots, I would have to 'invest' them into something more permanent, and pay the appropriate xp.

For example: Rat knocked off an armored car for a take of 800K, if he wanted to convert that into 3 dots of resource, he would have to pay 250K and spend 8xp. For the eufiber then, I may be able to steal or purchase the 5 pip colony, but until I spend the xp, the eufiber would essentually be worthless in terms of storing quantum.

Assume again that all these backgrounds are played out in the fiction section to gain or increase them respectively.

Yes, but keeping them really depends on the school of thought that the ST comes from.

1. The Pure RP school of thought.

In your example if you stole it, its yours. You would get the dots for it and everything. If you stole 800k, you would have that available. If you somehow managed to steal a Eufiber of that magnatude, then it would be yours.

2. The BESM school of thought.

This would probably be the more common school of thought. You could steal all that, sure...but no dots would be given. You would not be guarenteed that money would be there later (someone else stole it). There is nothing pinning that Eufiber to you either (it is really easy to attune eufiber). There would be nothing to stop some elite from coming around to kick your ratty kiester and taking it from you if you keep it without paying the XP for it. On the same note, if you pay the XP you are almost guarenteed to keep that Eufiber (even if you pay it in low, though regular, increments for one that costs lots of XP). If you lose it for some reason you will be able to get it back (barring extreme circumstance, like bad rolls).

In either case, if you attune the Eufiber, you can use it. All the XP is for is in the case of keeping it.

In regards to the adversarial backgrounds from Forceful Personalities, are they considered legal in regards to play? And for those who know Rat's history, it would seem he has earned one, two, or maybe even three dots in one of them.

In your opinions, would it be wise to take the adversarial background: wanted, in exchange for the experience points? Or would you rather keep the character flexible in terms of legal problems?

FP isn't cannon, but I don't think anyone would disagree with you using them here. In this environment they'd be a role playing tool.

Bahamut810 is right about the two schools, but few STs are purely members of one or the other.

Example: You have a Mentor who is the President of France (4 dots because you live in France). You screw up and get him killed.

In Pure RP, you just lost those 4 dots.

In BESM, the ST MIGHT (but shouldn't IMHP) give another mentor or some dots back for something else, but I think that those are just the breaks.

Similarly, if you steal 800K and don't pay the experience for resources, sure you have 800K, but it isn't really part of your character.

That doesn't mean that it WILL be stolen, but it does mean that when it is spent, it is gone. I seem to recall that half of lottery winners go bankrupt in 5 years.