Aberrant RPG - Back to Gravity

Ammonites

Ok, under the technique Gravitational Field it states that characters without gravity control in a 1.5g or higher field lose 2 strength and 2 dexterity.

So does this mean that if you ramp the field up to 5g it still produces the same effect? Or should the effect be modified for the intensity of the field, i.e. for every .5 increase reduce strength and dex by 1?

Also, at what point would you start killing normal people from the intense gravity, or could you?

I think the loss of strength and dex is an affect of disorientation rather than the actual loss of those stats due to increased gravity. We're not used to operating in an environment where our own bodies are heavier than they should be. Swimming can in some ways simulate low-gravity environments, butsimulating high-gravity is very tricky.

So, the short answer is, I don't think that making the gravity field significantly stronger will continue to reduce stats. It's a one-time thing, and even those without gravity control can probably train to ignore this.

As for killing someone with straight gravity, the average person can survive at almost 10Gs, I believe. Fighter pilots black out at around 8Gs, and that's the point where your blood has a hard time flowing through your body. I think that, for a baseline, 10Gs is pretty much the upper limit. Who knows for novas.

The best part of the garvity manipulation power is that you can create the gravity field sideways if you wish, meaning that you can hurl people off cliffs, through warps etc with ease.

I'd have to say that the dice penalty might increase... after all, each G means you are carrying more weight, making you more tired and off balance. Would cap it at some point though.

Normal folks are pretty much nailed to the ground at 5Gs, imagine being on a commercial airplane and trying to walk toward the cockpit during the acceleration of take off. Thats not even 3Gs.

Science Lesson! Before you answer a question about Gravity, make sure you understand it. I'm not trying to sound rude, nor, insulting so please do not take that the wrong way. OK, listen up.

There are two forces in nature that we experience every day: gravity and magnetism. You may have magnets on your refrigerator, and you know that a magnet will attract a refrigerator with a certain amount of force. The force depends on the strength of the magnet and the distance between the magnet and the metal. You also know that magnets have two poles -- north and south. Either pole will attract iron or steel equally well; north will attract south, and like poles will repel one another.

Gravity is the other common force. Newton was the first person to study it seriously, and he came up with the law of universal gravitation:

- Each particle of matter attracts every other particle with a force which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

The standard formula for gravity is:

- Gravitational force = (G * m1 * m2) / (d2)

Where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects for which you are calculating the force, and d is the distance between the centers of gravity of the two masses.

G has the value of 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne * cm2/gm2. That means that if you put two 1-gram objects 1 centimeter apart from one another, they will attract each other with the force of 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne. A dyne is equal to about 0.001 gram weight, meaning that if you have a dyne of force available, it can lift 0.001 grams in Earth's gravitational field. So 6.67 x 10E-8 dyne is a miniscule force. When you deal with massive bodies like the Earth, however, which has a mass of 6E+24 kilograms, it adds up to a rather powerful force. It is also interesting to think about the fact that every atom attracts every other atom in the universe in some small way.

Einstein later came along and redefined gravity, so there are now two models -- Newtonian and Einsteinian. Einsteinian gravitational theory has features that allow it to predict the motion of light around very massive objects and several other interesting phenomena. According to Encyclopedia Britannica:

- The general theory of relativity addresses the problem of gravity and that of nonuniform, or accelerated, motion. In one of his famous thought-experiments, Einstein showed that it is not possible to distinguish between an inertial frame of reference in a gravitational field and an accelerated frame of reference. That is, an observer in a closed space capsule who found himself pressing down on his seat could not tell whether he and the capsule were at rest in a gravitational field, or whether he and the capsule were undergoing acceleration. From this principle of equivalence, Einstein moved to a geometric interpretation of gravitation. The presence of mass or concentrated energy causes a local curvature in the space-time continuum. This curvature is such that the inertial paths of bodies are no longer straight lines but some form of curved (orbital) path, and this acceleration is what is called gravitation.

If certain assumptions and simplifications are made, Einstein's equations handle Newtonian gravity as a subset.

The question of why atoms attract one another is still not understood. The goal is to combine gravity, electromagnetism and strong and weak nuclear forces into a single unified theory.

So, in a nutshell... the more successes a Nova achieved on any roll involving the manipulation of Gravitic Fields would result in the possible destruction of a Nova. Even mega strength could be overcome *eventually*. Granted, creating a field powerful enough to overcome a 100 ton max press might be difficult given the cannon math but it is possible.

Let's keep in mind, just because you're strong it doesn't mean your immune. You are RESISTING a natural force. The more you pull, the more it pushes. A Char with MegStr 1 for example could put up one hell of a fight, but given an incredible amount of successes on the part of the Gravity Manipulator he would find that as he resisted he would begin to tear ligaments, rupture blood vessels from the strain, and possibly, if he fought to hard hemorrhage and cause even more damage to himself.

MegSta is a great resistance, it stifles pain, and make a person more durable. It, however, does NOT make a person "harder" (that is the purview of "Armor", "Invulnerability", and "Force Field") and thus more resistant to being crushed.

Gravity Manipulation requires math. You have figure out what an object weighs, and then exercise some common sense to determine when something would begin to crush itself under its own weight. That could begin usually when you have completely reduced a dice pool to effectively 0.

Also the ability to manipulate gravity in a "3D" manner allows for thing such as creating a field that could rip a person apart straight down the middle by manipulating the force of attraction in separate directions. So what is the target doing while being torn apart? Still fighting with full efficiency? I'll bet not. The pain would be insurmountable. Even if the Nova was wearing 20 Flak Jackets simultaneously.

Adaptability would be a great help to the Nova, but that's up the the Storyteller.

Those are my thoughts, take em, put em in yer mouth, chew em... they're delicious.

• 4 weeks later...

Resisting gravity with Willpower is dumb. Targets should resist with Might rolls, similar to resisting Immobilize or the Imprison subpower of Elemental Mastery.

As an ST, I would just apply an encumberance of each person's additional weight to them. A 100 kg person suddenly weighing the equivalent of a 400 kg person would make a might roll to carry 300 kg or fall down/be unable to move.

I would not automatically apply Dex or Str penalties. I would just use the penalties provided by the encumberance rules (which may also need to be changed like so many other WW rules).

Quote:
Originally posted by Revenant:
Alot of stuff I learned in Physics 201
"The effects of gravity changes are applied to characters in a straight forward fashion to reduce the need for formulas and complex mechanical systems."

That's really what it boils down to. You don't need any of those complex equations.

If the field is 0.6g or lower, gain a dot of strength and stamina, lose a dot of dexterity.

If the field is greater than 1.5g lose two dots of strength and dexterity.

It's not for every 1.5g but for "1.5g or higher."

The only time you do a per g calculation is for falling damage or dropping an item.

This is all outlined on page 200 of the core book.

Now you can alter that how you wish for your own games, but I'd think we use the way I just highlighted above for it being used here since it's the by the book method.