Aberrant RPG - free Aberrant d20

Downloaded it, and confirmed my previous opinion: it is a festering pile of poo. However, at least it is a free festering pile of poo.

That said, I vaguely recall someone mentioning that there was a smidgen of additional background material that was shoehorned into the d20 version; anyone happen to know what said material might be?

There's some additional information that integrates Adventure!-Era material slightly better into the Aberrant Setting (ie something exists). It also introduces Magaret Mercer, (we think) Max Mercer's Granddaughter. It also more clearly states that Max Mercer has reappeared into the setting.

Yes, I bought a copy. There are many good ideas from it that I fully intend to incorporate into any game I play (the choice to split up Telepathy into it's three constituent powers was a good choice, IMHO).

Another thing that Aberrant d20 did was actually make L3 powers substantially different to L2s, in that every one of them was a suite power. Worked quite well to provide a bit of flexibility, especially to powers like Healing and Clone, which tend to be much of a muchness in game.

I'm not sure I'd like the idea of L2 suites, although personally I think Bodymorph should be Level 3 in and of itself, and definitely a suite power. The way it currently is set up is not optimal in my opinion.

They have many good ideas but the way they did levels made Nova either one trick ponies or so ubberly powerful it wasn't funny. I mean I have been off on this topic in rants before but realy. A few good ideas doesn't amkea good good game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Girl:
They have many good ideas but the way they did levels made Nova either one trick ponies or so ubberly powerful it wasn't funny. I mean I have been off on this topic in rants before but realy. A few good ideas doesn't amkea good good game.
However, a few good ideas does make it worth perusing. Perhaps, for some people, not enough to buy it, but at least enough to look at the book.

I think it was better developed as a D20 book than the original storyteller system material was. Which is not wholly surprising given that much of the proofing and editing was done with the existing ST system books, along with the ability to pick and choose what was to be integrated into the single D20 book they were putting out. Resisting Warp Gates and the attendent effects of doing so, Sanctum Sanctorum background options, clear science/technology options... A much better book overall.

Quite honestly much of the "it sucks" reaction seems due more to the fact its a D20 book rather than Storyteller system, as opposed to any real complaints. My next opnet character will be designed under the D20 system. You poor unfortunates whose characters have to live out of their parents garages rather than owning a sanctum sanctorum will just have to suck it up.

:P

You can still download it for free E-chan. Search for Aberrant D20, the price will be listed as $0.00 and you then commence to download.

In 1999, I played Aberrant in D10. Many years later I bought D20 and thought it was a very good adaptation. BUT in fact it's a bit disappointing: I didn't feel my players being gods on Earth, they were TOO WEAK. I'm not a powergamer anyway, but I think it's a shame that a 3rd to 6th level character is so weak: his powers won't work because his enemies all have +10 at least in Fortitude, Reflex and Willpo. Combats between 1 powerful nova against many others less powerful simply DON'T work well.

In fact, I think D20 is a bit TOO PRECISE, TOO TECHNICAL, something I like in a dungeon, but I think is useless in Aberrant.

Finally, I'm back to D10. It's certainly not a very good system but very flexible, much more suited regarding powers.

And that's fair enough I think - Even without a playtest, I can tell that Aberrant d20's probably not going to run the kind of game I'm going to want it to run.

That said, I do think it does have some good ideas, unsurprising for what is effectively a revision of many of the original ideas. In the event that I end up running Aberrant again, I fully intend to adapt some ideas from the d20 material.

I think you should try a playtest one of those days : sometimes you get surprised (as I was in fact). But you may not have much time for that?

Many good ideas, but I 'm not sure the way I want to introduce them in D10, especially about Telepathy and 3rd lvl powers.

It's not necessarily lack of time, more that there are a lot of other games I want to play and/or run that are much closer to the front of the queue. To be honest, d20's never been a favourite system of mine anyway, so d20 "must plays" get shunted to the back of the queue.

I'm sure I'll play it someday, but then I'm still far more comfortable with Aberrant Storyteller - for all it's faults it still runs a game that's closer to my ideals than d20 will.

I agree with Rorschach wholeheartedly. Aberrant is about playing a God on Earth, and dealing with the responsibilites and consequences of a deity. The only creatures who have a chance of competing with novas should be novas. I think d20, while having some redeeming innovations, waters down novas too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...