Aberrant RPG - House Rules

NeoVid

Well, after all this time, there's a decent chance I'll be in a campaign, so I was wondering: what house rules have you found that are useful for pretty much any Aberrant group?

I can only remember a few from the last time this came up:

Enhancements can be no more than 1 level higher than the Megastat they're based on.

Enhancements should only cost 2 points at creation, because no one will get them if they cost the same as Megastats.

Suite powers should cost 2 Q to activate, as they're usually weaker than a level 2 power that does the same thing.

The Precision enhancement should allow you to choose how much of your damage to apply after the roll. (Not sure about that one.)

Limiting the use of bonus points on buy quantom the only than comes to being close as good is will power. Witch if you buy quant with BP it cost 7, Willpower cost 2 BP for one point. But it costs five nova point for each quantom point and one nova point for each will power. So if you spent nova point on quantum and and bonus points on willpower you will come with one quantom and three willpower,one BP left. If you did the other way you would get one quantom and five will power,spending the same amount of points.

And that is the least broken use of build points for quantom.

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoVid:
Well, after all this time, there's a decent chance I'll be in a campaign, so I was wondering: what house rules have you found that are useful for pretty much any Aberrant group?

I can only remember a few from the last time this came up:

Enhancements can be no more than 1 level higher than the Megastat they're based on.
I like that. I also limited Quickness to being equal to the dots of MegaWits.

Quote:

Enhancements should only cost 2 points at creation, because no one will get them if they cost the same as Megastats.
I did this one. I also kept their price down during gameplay to encourage expanding on them and not just cherry picking.

Quote:

Suite powers should cost 2 Q to activate, as they're usually weaker than a level 2 power that does the same thing.
Not a bad idea. I like that one.

Quote:

The Precision enhancement should allow you to choose how much of your damage to apply after the roll. (Not sure about that one.)
I think that has merit.

I also allowed people to max and use a power in the same turn simply because in a game as lethal as Aberrant losing a turn could geek you horribly and I always felt that the canon material suggested that maxing powers wasn't uncommon.

I used to notice that suite powers are less powerful so I would allow people to add xp to individual techniques in them to bring them up to speed... I dont remember how much I used to charge... may have been the diff between a lv 2 and lv 3 power of however many dots it currently was.

Also, a house rule we had was that you can only kill someone with a coup de grace. If you reduce them to 0 health levels they are unconscious and, without medical attention, dying. But at the end of combat, you can collect your friends to try to save them. That means if you want someone dead, you must strike them at least once more with even a single health level of damage. This made aberrant a less blatantly lethal game. Certain powers like disintegrate got around this rule but thats the perogative of reasonable story telling.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Experience spent on powers must be "in theme".
Yeah, justifying what you buy is pretty important. That's why no one gets a lot of Willpower even though it's cheap.

Quote:

The rule of 3: If you have 3+ powers with less than three dots in them, then you can't buy new powers.
Maybe... but I believe the GM is pretty stingy on the XP. His last group didn't end up with many powers at all over one dot.

Quote:

Puny Human.
I'm a supporter of this rule. Not sure about the GM, though.

One more old one I just remembered:

Dominate should be based on Charisma, since Cha got screwed on what powers it's used for.

Keeping powers in theme is always a house rule for me.

Also, I limit Mega-Attributes to three dice at character creation. The players are playing humans with powers, not actual gods like the cover suggests. I leave the higher level Mega-Attributes to the massively overpowered and important NPCs and character development.

Additionally I decided that level 3 powers should not go beyond two dots at character creation.

I'm also in the process of "powering down" many of the powers. I was never a fan of how overpowered novas can get (especially from character creation). I'm not sure how far I'll get though...I like to spend more time on Trinity.

Edit:

I forgot about my favorite house rule!

Normally you can buy a quantum power at half cost (rounded up) but with a point of taint. I do something similar.

For half cost (rounded up) you can buy a power that is "restricted" or "less powerful" in some way, or that requires a certain condition to use. Hard to explain...let me give some examples!

- A Mental Blast that causes a level of bashing damage to the user every time its used

- An Elemental Mastery that costs even more to activate untrained techniques

- Shapeshift into one form only

- Animal Mastery over only one type of animal

- Empathic Manipulation that only affects a certain gender

- While Invisible the nova cannot use any other powers

- Can only use Quantum Bolt (light) during the day

- A Stun Attack that loses its long range and becomes "Touch" instead

- Domination that can only be used through the Telepathic Channeling extra of Telepathy

- Disintegration that requires a special device to be used, otherwise it causes a lethal damage level every time it is used

- Healing cannot be used on self, and inflicts one bashing damage to self for every 2 levels of damage healed on target (rounded down)

- While using Hypermovement the nova loses all soak from Armor and Mega-Stamina

This idea occured to me when I was trying to convert a comic book super-hero into Aberrant. Many comic book super-heroes have conditional powers.

This is also adds a little uniqueness to the characters. It makes them stand out as induviduals. This rule also works well for making memorable villains.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Experience spent on powers must be "in theme".

The rule of 3: If you have 3+ powers with less than three dots in them, then you can't buy new powers.

Puny Human.
While I like that idea from a metagame ST perspective what is the argument for it from an IC perspective. What is it about being a Nova that requires that?

While I like that idea from a metagame ST perspective what is the argument for it from an IC perspective. What is it about being a Nova that requires that?

With abilities it is usually easy to find some one to teach you a skill (or even read about it). Nova powers, unlike abilities, are effectively self taught. You teach yourself new powers by using the ones you have, so getting that first dot in a power is a big deal and takes a big investment on your time, resources, etc. Just as there are limits to how many brand new hobbies you can have and use with any degree of skill, there are limits to how many “new” powers you can have and be effective. Since it isn’t possible to lose power dots, players are prevented from gaining new ones.

A power is termed "mastered" when you have three dots (not be confused with “Mastery”). This represents your level of skill in using it. Powers below three dots represent powers that the nova has not mastered yet and it is assumed that the nova’s “training time” is spent mastering the powers he has, and/or that training time spent on new powers is ineffective.

This rule only affects experience points. Nova points are not affected by this in any way as novas can erupt with any number of powers.

This rule prevents someone with one dot in Claws(Fire), Forcefield(fire), and Immolate(fire), from saying “I want to use my fire powers to learn how to fly and throw q-bolts”. The ST’s reponse should be something like “The only control you have over your current powers are “off” and “on”, you’ll need more control than that.