Aberrant RPG - New Attribute System?

fizzbang

In preparation for a large, upcoming Aberrant game, our ST staff are considering adjusting the nine attributes to the new set used in the new World of Darkness books.

For those unfamiliar with the new set, they are as follows:

Physical:

Strength (as usual)

Dexterity (as usual)

Stamina (as usual)

Mental:

Intelligence (as usual)

Wits (now including matters of perception)

Resolve (mental determination and endurance)

Social:

Presence (basically "Charisma")

Manipulation (as usual)

Composure (how well you adjust to social circumstances and keep your cool)

Naturally, this would present many changes, especially for the mega-stats and enhancements. But on the other hand, since the new system is made with such an obvious delineation of "Power, Finesse, Resilience" for each category, it could make for much more coherent mechanics. And who doesn't enjoy the idea of playing a character with Mega-Composure named "Joe Cool"?

Has there been discussion or consideration of this on these forums? What are your thoughts on the idea?

I have given the conversion some thought. But not as much as I'd like to have. The damage system would have to be overhauled and I would worry that the dice pools for checks would be IMMENSE. I would like to hear what you come up with however.

On a side note I also continue to kick around the idea of a Mutants and Masterminds, Aberrant conversion. If one could perfect how Taint and Quantum would work with the system I would be all over it.

Well, the damage dice wouldn't be any more intense than they were in the old system: Mega-Strength is still Mega-Strength, after all.

But I think the existence of Mega-Resolve and Mega-Composure would make for a much better defense against Telepathy and Mega-Socials than Willpower ever did, since defending with megadice would simply lead to a more balanced game mechanic than defending with more non-mega dice did.

Quote:
Originally posted by fizzbang:
But on the other hand, since the new system is made with such an obvious delineation of "Power, Finesse, Resilience" for each category, it could make for much more coherent mechanics. And who doesn't enjoy the idea of playing a character with Mega-Composure named "Joe Cool"?

Has there been discussion or consideration of this on these forums? What are your thoughts on the idea? [/QB]
I agree completely. And there has been a lot of discussion, but nobody has taken the time to write up new game mechanics for the nWoD - at least, not that I'm aware of.

Joe Cool? *nods* Nice.

I was going through a project I called the Neo-Aberrant Project, but that ran out of steam /real/ quickly. Probably because the first disagreement stopped us talking and we never really started up again. Pity, but there you go. It was supposed to be a project that would do a fairly extensive adaptation of Aberrant to a WoD2.0 system, and I was hoping to change a few mechanics to better match with Aberrant's setting.

That said, I have had some fairly in-depth thoughts on certain aspects of the conversion, in particular things to do with Quantum, Mega-Attributes and Taint. If you're simply converting to WoD2.0 Attributes, a lot of this isn't going to be an issue, but if you're doing a full conversion, Wakinyan has a point that the design philosophy of the game almost requires that a Nova-level game work on scales of 10-40(!) dice per roll. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is worth considering.

One of the major issues is finding ways for Mega-Attribute Enhancements for Mega-Composure and Mega-Resolve to show nuances of the attribute, instead of having three or four that basically harp on about the same aspect of the Attribute. I was considering scrapping the Enhancement/Mega-Attribute/Quantum Power distinction and reducing them all to the equivalent of Quantum-Powered Advantages (which gives the advantage that you can have more gradated costings than L1/L2/L3), but I never really got that far, truth be told.

If you'd like to hear some of my ideas, I'm happy to talk, my e-mail's in my signature. If people want me to discuss things on-thread, talk back, I'll dig out some of my old notes.

Hmm... Perhaps I should start getting conversation rolling on the list again. I did have some other thoughts to bring to the table, and I also have been highly busy and very distracted by Evil Genius (It's single-handedly destroyed any sleep patterns I still possessed...)

fizzbang, you are welcome to come on board as well (as is anyone else who'd like to jump on) to discuss various approaches. I doubt we'll ever come to a full system, but it'd still be a nice place to discuss Abberant in the alternate system...

• 4 weeks later...

The system as is for megas work with the enhancements taking up the slack for Resolve and Composure. The new WOD doesn't take Aberrant into consideration and its rules will not balance well with issues of play brought up in Brainwaves and Forceful Personalities.