Aberrant: The Long March - Table Talk: The Long March

Mr Fox

I'm going to be non-committal regarding my continued participation. I need to see just what is going to evolve from this game before I decide. I will however try to stay in the discussion and inject my ideas where I can.

Important factors for any successful dimension/time-line hopping game are IMO:

• A home time line: This need not be the home base but it needs to be the most important to the PCs in some tangible way
  • Clear method of travel and just how it all works: Lorean was our clear method but how it worked never seemed fully dtermined. Does a radically different world take more time and energy to reach or is everything equidistant? Does our device have any "oops" factor?
  • Cosmology: Most multi-verse games tend to have a list of "major" timelines, the big keynotes (dino earth, Nazi earth, Pax Romana, etc) and "minor" possibly (though not required) timelines. How (if at all) do the timelines interact and relate? What events spin off a new timeline? Can timelines merge later on and if so what happens?
  • Aside from pure exploration there generally needs to be an impetus for the PCs to be exploring in the way they are. In Sliders the PCs had no choice, they were beholden to the timer and trying to get home. In Stargate they are trying to protect home and maintain their "prime" time line.

Just a few things to consider there, I'm sure people can think of more.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't forget Omar. smile I mentioned last night that you were the only one left that hadn't spoken up, and that I was waiting on you.

I'm glad you guys are all Stargate fans. Reason I ask is that I have an idea that will work. There are a near infinite number of possible timelines out there and the watchers are only in control of a miniscule number of them. If you guys are interested I would like to introduce the actual Stargate timeline. It is a possible Earth after all and one that could have developed, it doesn't have to be a fictional creation of the Watchers.

- Plus, it contains beings that are the Watcher's equals, but that do not interfere.

- It contains other advance beings that could give you guys a challenge, ie, the Gouald, the Wraith, the replicators, etc.

- It also provides a standard means of travel that are a known quantity, ie the gates.

- (There could be some leeway in travelling to alternate timelines and such, to allow for the concept that Joani wants to do.) There are several methods within the actual technology of the show that would allow that.

- It is a place the Watchers cannot travel to.

- It would allow players to have their own stories and travel about getting into all kinds of trouble, but also have a built in means of returning home without relying on Watchers or Lorean or some other massively powerful thing that would prevent them from being challenged.

- Potential for political intrigue.

- Public doesn't know about the Stargates, on the home timeline. I can see potential fun in that. smile

- Novas would definitely be sought out and put to work as part of the Stargate program if the government knows about them.

- They too would be kept secret. (Alternate timelines are still possible, I'm thinking of Joani's story here that she is planning.)

- Your characters don't know about the stargate universe so it's all exploration to you guys.

- It also gives you a reason for going out there and getting into trouble. Have to protect Earth after all.

- Lots more opportunities for combat for those who like that sort of thing.

- There are shadow groups within Earths governments that take advantage of the Gate and try to increase their own power via alien tech etc, those groups could be recruiting other novas, thus providing for some nova vs nova conflict.

Basically, I can think of lots of reasons it would be a fun way to go, and except for the cheese factor of novas in Stargate, I can't think of any negatives. And frankly I can get over the cheese factor in favor of what I think would be a fun game. grin How about you guys? Does this sound interesting to you?

We could do that. Some folks want to keep their characters though, and I hate to deny them that.

I would be up for just making it a whole new game though. Would make it much easier on me since the power levels would be a lot lower.

I could keep LM open for those who want to play out stuff with their characters, ie Joani. And make Stargate a seperate game.

Hey - if things go a complete different way I don't have to be the one to slow it down. If LM ends, it ends and we start over. My idea was based on the initial Option 3.

If it's going to be a different game based on Stargate I'll join, too if must with a new character.

If there is a way to keep Joani (which I doubt), then I'd appreciate that too. But don't hold back because of me. I can come up with something new if I like the setting.

Cool. Thanks Joani. I'm leaning to making this a new game. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the power levels you guys are at would be a problem. I can also keep LM going for those of you who still have some stories to tell. It doesn't have to be an either or. smile

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the power levels you guys are at would be a problem.

Steve is something like 116 nova points. I'm strongly in favor of a reset.

RE: Stargate & Novas

Given that Novas exist and a Stargate is found (created?) of course novas would be brought in. The idea that baselines can wildly jump into these things without having a (per mission) mortality rate of 50% is absurd.

I like the idea a lot.

Note this doesn't prevent us from having the gate lead to places with other physical laws.

Actually, that's a pretty interesting idea, Courier. A world that had NDay, and discovered the Stargate in the same manner as in SG1. Although it would make the Goa'uld a large bit less intimidating.

Hmn...except the system lords would have freaked out at the novas appearing on their worlds and probably would have banded together to mount an actual offense against Earth instead of what happened in the show.

Max made this suggestion in chat: I rather like it.

[salmonMax] 12:29 pm: SG-1 encountered many technologies and entities who were engaged in the business of advancing human

beings. Annubis, for one, spent a lot of time trying to create a perfect host. There was another goa'uld that was doing that too. It's very

possible, in my view, that some of these technologies found their way into a black op separate from Stargate Command. Maybe similar to

the NID or a branch therof, before it was discredited and discontinued.

[salmonMax] 12:29 pm: This program was tasked with the 'creation' of loyal advanced humans, for the protection of Earth.

[salmonMax] 12:30 pm: Unfortunately, as the show tells us, the techniques used to make advanced humans are generally flawed...

[salmonMax] 12:30 pm: Hence taint.

Actually I think I like the idea of taint. It was a side effect of the process that created the novas and happened because those individuals either didn't have the ancient gene or it was not strong enough in them to prevent the side effects. Player characters however will be limited to 6 taint max, and it has to be aberrations that are concealable. Beyond 6 taint it cant' be concealed and you wouldn't be able to function in human society.

So the novas are people with the ATA Gene or something like it? Are any of them naturally occuring or would it be preferable that they all be artificial in some way? It's not inconceivable that such an "anomaly" would have potentially harmful side effects (i.e. taint) to people who aren't full-blooded Ancients. So even if they were born with it, pushing that genetic potential could be bad.

Just throwing stuff out there.

Yeah, definitely artificial in the sense that ancient technology is used to "push" their potential as you put it. The more of the ATA gene they have the less side effects, but even so, if pushed too far (and it's not an exact science) bad things can result.

Well, Like I told Joani, I can keep LM going as well as the new game if you guys have stories to tell. Joani has a really good idea for a story with his character, and I'm fine with helping him tell it.

Definitely want you in the new game though. You've been great in LM and it would be a damn shame not to have you in the new one.

Interesting...my very first ever PbP game...the one I had before finding LM just finally closed up due to ST RL trouble and apathy/inertia. It was also based very closely on Stargate concepts although not the actual universe.

I feel like we should have ONE game though,not two, for two reasons.

1.) A new game is going to get most of the attention and the LM one is going to face the slow death due to lack of involvement. Might as well call it just an open place for fictions.

2.) I am going to feel cheated if I have to make a 30 point nova. As is now I have something like 30 or 40 xp and 19 nova points that I have banked up for Cody. I was sooo diligent about saving them up and now that I can spend them, the character gains ultimate power/NPC status and I get no reward for my dillegence and due faithfullness.

Just my feelings though...

You do get a reward. You guys start at 35nps instead of 30.

Also, I'm not talking about continuing LM as a full game. Joani has a story to tell with her character right now and would like the opportunity to tell it. I don't have a problem with obliging.

Oh. Well then Im not sure then. The way we talked about it the other night we were going to stay on the epic scale and I could bring in a new character to play at the same level as Cody. 35 is such a far cry from that. Can't say I'm into it. Why are we abandoning the LM universe entirely?

Well, upon reflection and discussion with folks today, I decided it will be much easier to run and maintain the game on a more limited power level. It's awfully hard to give you guys a challenge at those kind of levels and keep the game running smoothly. I know you really like the higher power levels, but I just don't think I can do that in the new setting, we would quickly end up right back in the situation where you hardly ever get a real challenge.

Although you said it once yourself that Cody isn't really all that power. Most of what he has is at 1 or 2 dots only. Even then after 11 chapters I never really got to even use most of his powers.

Sure you can't make us a better offer? I just feel like I played so long and saved up so well. Its just frustrating. In the other stargate like game I mentioned I was also super good...I think I saved something like 60 or 70 xp over 3 or 4 years for a big xp buy later (xp in that game was very sparse and uncommon unfortunately...i like that you were more generous). And then the game died...

It sucks. So much discipline for so little reward and i never got to tell the stories I wanted to tell...

If you want to tell the stories you can. You have all that banked xp and np. I am going to let Joani tell her story in the LM universe. No reason you can't keep writing for Cody until you have it settled. The watchers won't let you join the Sharing until you have your Taint resolved anyway.

Like I said before, it's unfortunate, but you picked a really bad time to be away from the game. All those things that you wanted to spend that xp on could have been done in the last two or three months.

I don't see any better deal happening in the new game though. Given the fact that you are going to be among normal humans, and there will be a very limited number of other novas, I really don't want the characters to be too powerful. I want you guys to feel a bit of apprehension when you go up against a group of Jaffa, or a Gouald, or a Wraith. I want you to have advantages and be more than merely mortal, but not so powerful that you can just ignore what would be a threat to a normal SG team or soldier.

So I guess that's it then...

I have a really hard time writing solo. I'm more of a group participation plot thing. Also from what i read it looks like we jumped from Andrew's cure to Atlantis. IMHO we should have held out on the Atlantis thig. Omar is right...we had a whole plot thread with the aliens to resolve that should have come first. We shuold have had us all go through the taint cure and held off on the Watcher revelation for *at least* a few more chapters.

I feel like you jumped the gun a bit. Oh well. What is done is done now.

Feeling frustrated.

I brought up the Alien menace thing several times and you guys never expressed interest in going back to deal with it. At one point someone even made the comment that they didn't want to go back since it was pointless to make changes in a multiverse situation where there would just be thousands of other time lines in which you didn't go back.

Sky, as an ST I can tell you that it gets really hard to come up with interesting and convincing storylines once characters pass a certain point from their original situation. Partially it's the eventual loss of character development steam and partially it becomes more and more absurd the kind of villains and situation the character have to be put into to give their players another interesting challenge.

LM players are getting a rather nice boost to new/ported characters (16% more powerful than anyone else to start with). Even the option to port in their LM characters seems highly generous for a new game.

Maybe I'm not as attached because like SalmonMax I was a newer addition to the game, but...*shrugs* I don't think you can be happy without either LM continuing on as it was (which isn't going to happen) or without a new game starting off at the power level that this one ended at. That doesn't make sense for the setting of the new game, although the power disparity between us and the normal humans in the SG universe will be similar. It'll take Jaffa groups, powerful Goa'ulds, Prior groups, Replicators, and Wraiths to make our characters break a sweat, and that's for direct confrontations. We'll still be kick ass as far as PC's go, and we'll have some new energy for the RP as well.

Quote:
Im just sayin' Not sure if I really want to start from scratch after all this time.
Those extra 5 points are pretty huge IMHO... although I'd be glad to collaborate with anyone on character design.

Quote:
Are we really wanting to start a whole new game rather than spin off on the current one???
Steve is 116 nova points (or so) and he still has experience unspent. Some of us are looking at Q10. We have total mastery of time and space, the cure for taint, and immortality on top of that.

Steve finally hit the point where I can justify increasing Quantum because he has every single attribute at Mega-2 and every skill at 3+ dots (meaning it's time to transcend his theme).

Basically I think we won.

Yeah. I am sorry I couldn't keep LM going at the kind of level it was a couple chapters ago. That was really something. Damned impressive in fact, but we really had reached the end of new material in the game as it stood. Going back after the aliens and the other options I had mentioned were good and all, but they would have been just more of the same things the group had already done.

I originally thought of the Stargate idea based on what you and others had said. How do you top the Watchers, by giving them some competition, ie the Ascended beings from Stargate, but PCs couldn't possibly get in the middle of their conflict or they'd be squished. But the Stargate idea did really appeal to me and I got to thinking about it more and more and realized that it would make a heck of a game on it's own. So then I was thinking you guys could just port over as is, but despite what you say, can you imagine anything short of Annubis actually giving Cody a challenge? Honestly? So that leaves me with one option. Allow you guys to port or create new characters but at a level that fits the setting. So that's what I've decided to do after much discussion today with a large number of the players on the site here.

I know it bums you out, and I am sorry for that, but I just can't see how the game could be run well on a higher power level. Honestly I should really be setting the power level at 20 to 25 instead of 30(35), but I want people to be able to make characters they will enjoy and it is tough to make some concepts on less than 30.

Archived