Aberrant RPG - Challenge: Create a useless Nova

Challenge: Create a useless Nova

Rules:

1) Spend at least 30 nova points & 15 bonus points.

2) Max Taint is 3 (no aberrations).

3) If Q over 1, please spend bonus points for quantum (meaning min-max if possible).

4) “Useless” is defined as “Someone who couldn’t earn more than 1 million dollars a year if he were willing to take a real job” (no “Joe Lazy”).

Fair enough. This one comes pretty close.

Bonus Points (15):

07 07 +1Q (2)

15 08 +4 Willpower (7)

Nova Points (30)

15 15 +3 Invulnerability: Mental Powers + BC (Physical)

30 15 +3 Invulnerability: BC (Energy)

So you have a guy who has a +18 soak, and that's it. Total soak possible could be as high as 28.

What kind of job could he have? Put another way, who would pay him a million dollars?

His powers don't really help in being an assassin (who really should attack without being attacked). Without enhanced senses, or movement, (or Adaptability) I think he'd make a poor explorer.

RE: Bodyguard or Stunt Man

Granted, he can take a bullet (or whatever), and this is what he is best at... but I'm not sure he's worth a million. The hiring a NOVA works for all novas so I'm inclined to ignore it).

But he might get a million as a second or third rate nova bodyguard/stunt man, so I guess I'll try again.

Nova Points (30)

25 25 +5 Biolumance: Extras Area & Extra Range.

30 05 +5 Strobe Defense.

So he can Biolum a *really* big area. Maybe take the name "glow bug".

Possible jobs: Crowd control (he can blind crowds, the other security forces can wear special glasses), Light shows (human fireworks display)

Most likely job: Las Vegas (or somewhere similar) would pay handsomely for someone that could light up their city every night to keep the insomniacs awake and gambling.

Re: Worth a million.

You're forgetting STATUS. He's not a bodyguard. He's a NOVA bodyguard. That makes all the difference in the world on a paycheck.

You can't just "ignore it," because half of the allure of a nova employee is in the status it provides, not in the actual service rendered.

Bonus points:

14 for Q+2

1 for +1 background in Attunement

25 Psychic Shield with the the Extra Mind and Ranged Extras at 5

5 Willpower +5

Maybe he could be a nitch bodyguard, I guess, but if he was unaware of his abilities, he could think he erupted and nothing happened.

RE: Mind-Shield Guy

Best so far.

RE: Status

I’m trying to ignore it because it’s not really relevant to his powers, it’s just there because he’s a nova. I.e., 20 years from now, when baseline/nova relations are “iffy”, would it be worth 20 million to pay Splash to divert a hurricane so it doesn’t do a Billion dollars of damage to Florida? Sure it would. But would hanging on the arm of a nova be worth a million dollars, probably not.

Our “Wall” (+18 soak, above) really is Invulnerable to everything, so he really could do something like take a bullet for someone. Maybe that’s worth a million and maybe not. He doesn’t have enhanced senses or reflexes so arguably he wouldn’t be great at being a bodyguard… but as a member of a team he might work really well… and if he has Attune 5 then he could grant his Invulnerability to his clients. So, he is worth a Million.

The following is cheesy. He has 5 dots of Q-Regeneration and has Max'ed willpower for full benifit, but he doesn’t have any powers that require quantum.

Battery Boy:

05 05 +1 Quantum (total 3)

20 15 +5 Quantum Regeneration

27 07 +7 Willpower (total 10)

30 03 +3 Body Mod: Extra Health Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
His powers don't really help in being an assassin (who really should attack without being attacked).
Circle concept. The better you are, the closer you can and should approach.

Watch "Léon" sometime, also called "The Professional. Great movie. wink

"What are Anti-Matter Lad's techniques?"

Does it matter?

And yes, he might be valuable in antimatter research, but antimatter researchers don't have a million dollars to throw around every year. They're lucky to get enough cash together to log onto Fermilab or whatever for a few months, much less hire a nova.

Quote:
"What are Anti-Matter Lad's techniques?"

Does it matter?

And yes, he might be valuable in antimatter research, but antimatter researchers don't have a million dollars to throw around every year. They're lucky to get enough cash together to log onto Fermilab or whatever for a few months, much less hire a nova.
You're right of course. Since Anti-matter research is incredibly difficult to carry out, the researchers work mainly on a theoretical level and define experiments that are critical to their research - so that their time on any piece of apparatus is put to best use.

With the help of Anti matter lad however, all they need to do is create antimatter. He will be able to maintain it's existence, increase the amount of it and do all sorts of other useful things with it.
This will push their research ahead leaps and bounds to the point of potentially making a significant breakthrough in engines, energy or power - which could easily be worth millions (if not more)

He does have the potential to be worth a lot of money, even if he does have to start slow and work with others to achieve it.

I personally like:

Q+2 (14fbs)
+1 attune (1fps)
5 Chimeric Aberration (Delayed) (25nps)
Body Mod - Dispersed Organs (3nps)
2 Biolum (2nps)

Note that this guy has no taint and no aberrations. All he does it light up a bit.

Not sure if "delayed" is a legal extra for CA. But even so...

...this guy has no taint and no aberrations. All he does it light up a bit...

With one succ on his Chimeric Aberration he can get one minor aberration (going from nothing to minor using the mismatched aberrations rule).

With 4 succ, he could make himself bleed taint, or radiation, or something.

He might be able to change into any number of "sheer hidious" aberrations, which in turn might make him any number of movie monsters.

That's only 5 nova points (don't think we should count the Q since you're Q-min is 1. Although if we do then you would still only have 15)...

...but it does raise an interesting point. In theory you can erupt with different Nova points, not just 30.

How far down does that go? Could someone erupt with zero nova points? Would they notice?

The first game I played in had multiple levels of eruption. We had novas who erupted with as few as 5 NP, and as high as 100 NP. The PC's started at 30, though. Game Life wasn't fair, just like the real one.

It also makes the whole issue of Michaelite aggression much more relevant when 25% of the novas erupting had less than 30.

It also made dealing with newly erupted novas much more interesting.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Fair enough. This one comes pretty close.

Bonus Points (15):
07 07 +1Q (2)
15 08 +4 Willpower (7)

Nova Points (30)
15 15 +3 Invulnerability: Mental Powers + BC (Physical)
30 15 +3 Invulnerability: BC (Energy)

So you have a guy who has a +18 soak, and that's it. Total soak possible could be as high as 28.

What kind of job could he have? Put another way, who would pay him a million dollars?
I'm kind of amused that the basic premise for your useless nova is pretty much Billy Horrorshow with the in vulnerabilities being more broad/powerful (instead of being hyper-exclusive but malleable). All I can say is that personality goes a long way.

My vote for useless nova (I'm not going to sit down and spend the points) would be the following. (Instead of stacking things into one category I figured I'd make a Nova no one would want to hire):

The Mighty Ass
Bodymorph: Poop
(strobe-smell, decreased density, Immobilize = ewwww)
Body Mod: Slimy
Explosive Crap toss (Quantum Bolt with the Bashing Damage option)+ Explosive (or Area) extra
Poison (why not?)
You could also justify a "control/summon flies" power in there as well as Disorient with an Area effect (due to smell). There's an elemental mastery option in there if you tweak it, but I'm not going there.

Sure he might actually be useful, but who the HELL would want to hang out with a guy who's powers revolve around crap? I don't think it's possible to make a completely useless Nova (take Anti-Matter Lad for example). Sorry I had too much fun with a crap-themed nova. I'll stop typing now.

-jared

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...