Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Chapter 1: The Delicate Sound of Thunder

jameson (ST)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raider and Courier move toward the object and as they approach the surface it becomes clear how large the object is. What is visible above the piled dirt is roughly conical in shape and approximately 7-8 feet long. At its widest it is perhaps 4-5 feet in diameter. The object's surface is radiating some residual heat though not much more than a moderate fire.

Raider is about to move into the object when a sound like cloth tearing can be heard in the clearing opposite the jeep. As the group turns toward the sound it terminates with a loud "POP!".

In the clearing stands an obvious member of homo sapiens novus. His left arm seems to lack any bones and terminates in a half dozen flexible tentacles. He is clothed in dirty work pants and a torn sweatshirt, a device of some sort is held in his right hand.

"Excuse me, would you kindly back away from that please?"

Buzz turns to the newcomer. The tentacles and sudden appearance doesn't seem to faze him at all.

"This your toy then? Where are you from? Why are you dropping garbage in our yard? Back in my day when me or one of my friends kicked our ball into the neighbor's yard, they kept the damn thing..."

"Sorry, where was I? Name's..." he steps forward to hold out a hand and then finally seems to notice the tentacles and inconspicuosly pulls his hand back "..Buzz. Who're you?"

Hearing the noise, Greg spins around, only to see a strange tentacled figure.

As soon as he sees him, Gregory will blend in with the surroundings of the crater wall. For now, he will observe the stranger that is laying claim to their prize.

Jimmy stares at the nova and visibly blanches. Swiftly clipping the detector back on his belt, Jimmy pulls out a thick matte black device that ends in two brass colored prongs.

As he thumbs the trigger of his custom modified taser, his mind races, trying to remember this nova in particular. Also ,he tries to identify the device held in the tentacled novas hand.

Raider stops briefly and turns to hear what the nova has to say. Seeing that everone else is reacting to defend he will sink into the ground where he was standing.

"Hey Courier, I'm gonna look inside this thing. If this guy says anything interesting or any of you need to be rescued, let me know ok?"

With that he moves as rapidly as he can to come up underneath the object and then into it. Raider plans to have a nice look around this thing before it's too late, and see if there is anyone inside, or if there is anything valueable.

The nova steps toward Buzz and transfers the object into his tentacled left "hand" to offer Buzz and handshake. At Buzz's withdrawal he simply allows his hand to fall by his side.

"Indeed the object does belong to me, and as far as your backyard I was hardly aware that Newborough could be said to have control of so much territory.

"As soon as I was able to locate my device I came to retrieve it. While it would simply appear that you were able to beat me to it, that does not make it any less mine."

As the nova talks with the group Raider sinks into the ground and make his way toward the underside of the object before coming back up and into the interior.

Adam can be seen visibly holding himself back from lobbing a bomb, knowing that the blast radius is large enough to get everybody here easily.

As Raider moves upward out of the ground the first thing he notices is the grim spectre of death. Hanging upside down from the interior of the object is a man's body. His bones have been twisted, broken, and crushed - he is quite obviously dead. Earth has plowed up into the cavity making investigation difficult at best.

Raider realizes that it will take him more than a few moments to properly analyze the interior with all of the dirt present as he will be forced to look at each section individually.

Raider comes up in the interior of the object to discover a very jumbled and disturbing situation.

Opening a thought link to Courier he relays what he sees, "Hey man, its a mess in here. There's a deadguy hanging upside down strapped into what I assume is a pilot's chair. Dirt from the crash has filled up a good bit of the interior and its gonna take me a bit to investigate. Just let me know if you guys need my help out there, otherwise I'm gonna be seeing what there is to see in here. Out."

With that he proceeds to start his investigation with the dead guy (checking his pockets etc) and the consoles that he is sitting in front of. After that, if time permits he will methodically move around the interior of the object searching for anything that looks valuable or removable, or best of all, information. He'd like to know the Who, what, when, where, and why's of the situation.

He doesn't sense any danger from this strange visitor, so Gregory moves closer so he can hear the entire conversation.

Did he just say that it was 'his' object?! Gregory thought to himself in amazement. Why did that response NOT surprise me

His mind was formulating ideas to discredit this Nova's claim to the object:

-If it is his, then he will know all about it, if not, then he is lying to us.

-He needs to prove to us that it is his. Don't just trust him because he says it is.

-How did you 'loose' your 'thing' in the first place.

-According to practice, and generally accepted 'law' of the land; the first person to take possession of an object has salvage rights. You have no claim to it.

His head spun from the dizzying machinations that took place in his head. But he he'd to trust Buzz. The man seemed to have been around a long time.

Buzz narrows his eyes a bit, this was obviously one of them brainy Novas.

"So what is it? Is this a ship? A bomb or somethin'? Help us out here. It gave some people quite a scare. A fireball movin' at Mach speed over our town is gonna get people worried y'know?"

"Plus, how do we know it's yours? Like you said, maybe we just got here first and you were followin' it also."

"Where you from also? You ain't from Newborough, where are you from then?"

Courier shifts the link from person to person, and decides that he was badly remiss for not offering one to Buzz earlier. None of the people on the link know any more than he does.

Quote:
Fox:Raider comes up in the interior of the object to discover a very jumbled and disturbing situation.

[Over the] link to Courier he relays what he sees, "Hey man, its a mess in here. There's a deadguy hanging upside down strapped into what I assume is a pilot's chair. Dirt from the crash has filled up a good bit of the interior and its gonna take me a bit to investigate. Just let me know if you guys need my help out there, otherwise I'm gonna be seeing what there is to see in here. Out."

(To Jimmy, and then Adam)

*Raider is inside. It’s a ship of some sort, there’s a dead guy in a pilot’s chair. Oh, and he says it’s partly filled with dirt.*

Hearing Couriers message through the Psychic Link, Jimmy's eyes widen. Manned aircraft? His mind begins to go through a battery of complex calculations, trying to figure out the mammoth costs in construction, fuel and rare parts. The physics of flight, as he understands them, lead him to some conclusions; since the capsule appears to have been sealed, Jimmy reasons that it was designed for very high altitudes or extreme speeds - possibly both. The more he thinks about it, the more he wants to take this marvelous machine back to his workshop.

*Courier! Please ask him to look for detachable pieces. If whoever built this used salvaged pieces, most of it will likely be modular in design. The most valuable pieces are liable to be around the pilot and around the propulsion devices. Try to emphasize to him how amzingly valuable this could be.* As he continues to consider the enginnering required, he adds: *Also, tell him to watch for leaks and exposed wiring. The higher end fuels that would be needed for this kind of vehicle could be disasterously explosive.*

Still reeling from the magnitude of Raiders discovery, he blurts to the nova stranger.

"How did you manage to build such a fantastic piece of engineering?"

The nova replies, “I assure you that it is indeed mine, and it’s specific nature is none of your concern. Were I not the true owner would I not have brought more than just myself to claim it? You are 6 men and I am alone? What would possess a profiteer or salvager to try and take an item from a group of men when he is so outnumbered?

“Now if you would please step away I will remove the item to my own land.” To everybody his answers are both genuine and believable, it would appear that this man is the owner of the object.

Raider goes over the inside of the object and verifies hs assumption, the man, the body rather, is strapped into a seat much like what would be found in an aircraft. The specific cause of death is unknown, either the explosion or the crash could have cause the massive internal trauma which Raider sees.

As for the "cockpit" it appears to be cobbled from all manner of instruments although many appear to be analog, most likly for reliability and to minimize the effects of possible electromagnetic problems/damage.

The object appears to be little more than the cockpit and housing, this appears to have been an aircraft of somekind but the make is unknown to Raider. It is likely that the explosion and the force of the sonic boom ripped the vehicle apart causing the crash.

Adam lets the bolt fade, knowing that at such close range, his powers are a bit too dangerous - even if it's lower yield than usual. He glances at the crashed ship at Courier's message, and sens back, Can he check out to see if it's equipped with weapons systems? If this thing is some kind of new war plane, I don't think Newborough can afford to give it back.

Listening to the man, Gregory felt helpless, and could do nothing but sit with his mouth agape. The man seemed to be telling the truth.

It figures. We spend all this time getting here, only to be denied our prize. Greg murmured to himself.

He shrugged his shoulders in exasperation, and crawled out of the crater.

Jimmy is cought in a tough moral dilemma. Although this man seemed sincere... such technology could not just be surrendered. Such a design... here lay another step forward on the cratered road to recovery for all people. Could this nova, this... aberration do more with this tech than Jimmy Boothe could?

Still holding his modified taser, Jimmy stuggled with his desire, his thirst for pre-Burn tech, his gaze moving from the tentacled man to the scorched husk of the aircraft.

Buzz looks at the Nova and then back to the downed ship and then at the rest of his comrades.

"Well you say it's yours and make a pretty good argument. But what's your hurry? How you gonna get it back to wherever you're going? Newborough's probably a lot closer. Let's bring it back there, we got some good shops, let the brainy guys here have a look at it. You all can repair it there and then fly it out, give us a bit of a show huh?"

"We're all in this together right? I mean we ain't at war with our neighbors, there ain't an arms race, let us take a look at it, take a few notes. Whattaya' say?"

Buzz's eyes are cold like steel, and his voice seems to brook no other alternatives to the situation, firendly as it is.

After looking around, Raider has come to a few conclusions. Opening the link he sends, "Hey, this place is pretty messed up alright, but it's not just that. This whole thing seems pretty random, it's been thrown together from all kinds of spare parts. It's definitely not pre-burn. Perhaps it does belong to that guy out there, but then again, maybe not. If it is his, why was he not the one piloting the ship?"

Pausing for a second he adds, "Have him describe the inside of the ship, or the pilot or something to prove it. I can let you know if he's right. If he can't then he's got to be lying".

With that he goes back to searching the contents. He especially looks for identification on the pilot, and seeks out any computer type systems.

The the group appearing to have backed down the nova takes the opportunity to move toward the object.

Quote:
Courier -"What, you're just going to pick it up and fly off with it before anyone else shows up?"

Buzz - "Well you say it's yours and make a pretty good argument. But what's your hurry? How you gonna get it back to wherever you're going? Newborough's probably a lot closer. Let's bring it back there, we got some good shops, let the brainy guys here have a look at it. You all can repair it there and then fly it out, give us a bit of a show huh?

"We're all in this together right? I mean we ain't at war with our neighbors, there ain't an arms race, let us take a look at it, take a few notes. Whattaya' say?"

Buzz fumbles over his own words at the end and mutters somthing under his breath. He sounds less than convincing and might even be rethinking his own words.

"Actually no, not that it is of any concern to you but I will teleport the wreckage back to my home," he replies. He switches the small object from his left "hand" to his right and lays the tentacles on the shell of the object.

"I am glad to see that we have been able to work this out amiably. Perhaps we shall meet again someday." With his final words the sound of cloth tearing can once again be heard as quantum energy plays out over him and the object.

Raider scans around the interior of the cockpit and the remains of the pilot looking for identification and any computer equipment. He finds no identification on the pilot (which is no surprise) but does locate what looks to be the flight data recorder.

Gregory watches the old timer, Buzz, make an ass out of himself in front of the stranger. If the situation weren't so serious, he might have laughed.

"Wait, where is your home!" Gregory yells to the stranger, in the hopes that he can at least try to get some information. "We'd like to be able to trade with you in the future." He didn't really care about trading, he just wanted to be able to pilfer some of the technology at a later date.

The stranger moves to the object and that ripping sound can be heard again.

He's taking it...damn! He yells frustratingly to himself, and then pauses, realizing that Raider is still inside.

Chuckling internally, Gregory smiles. I sure hope Radar is able to tell us where he ends up. We may be able to steal away with this thing after all

Buzz's eyebrows furrow in frustration, was he ever this rude or impatient?

"Now you wait just a goddamned minute!" he snaps. As he does so the glow around the tentacled Nova's hand begins to waver.

"You think you can drop a ship in our back yard, scare the daylights out of our whole town, walk right up to us pretty-as-you-please and take back your toy just like that?! I don't think so " Buzz's voice takes on a rare timber, he's always grousing and lecturing someone, but usually doesn't get this far.

"Now you listen here. We're being pretty neighborly, found your toy for you, and had a few words. That invite was from the heart and you just spat it back in my face. That ain't very neighborly! Now you hold off before you start trying to zap it out of that crater. Let's take it back to Newborough, we'll fix it up for you with your help, give you something to eat, and you show us a few things about how it ticks. When that's done, you can take it and leave. We'll even throw in one of Nora's apple pies for you to take home with you."

"This isn't an invite any more. Get me sonny?"

Quote:
Dr. Raphael Bradford:"Actually no, not that it is of any concern to you but I will teleport the wreckage back to my home...Perhaps we shall meet again someday."
Courier frowns, clearly not happy to see such a prize slip out from his fingers, then he wonders if everyone isn't missing something.

(To Raider) *This guy is pretty convincing about this being his stuff. He's saying something about taking it back to his place. He knew where we were from, so his place can't be all that far from the settlement. Do you see anything like a map in there?*

After his last sending Raider, notices what he suspects is the flight data recorder. Whipping out his tools and making just those and his hands solid he begins the process of removing the device. After a couple minutes he feels the object shift and rock as it settles into a new position. Not knowing what caused the movement he continues to work as fast as possible at unbolting the device.

Once he finishes he opens the link, "Hey Courier, what's going on out there? This thing just rocked like it was moved. The talks still going well? Has he backed down."

Jimmy is very agitated. He does NOT want to see this marvelous machine dissapear in a tear in reality.

Watching the stranger carefully, he slowly moves closer to him and the crashed flyer. Wrestling with his conscience, he is trying to weigh the implications of attacking. He desperately wants to study this flyer.

Jimmy considers himself a moral young man, yet he does not want to lose such a prescious object... He's deeply hoping the nova doesnt force him to act, and he hopes he can bring himself to fire if it comes down to it.

Trying to reach Raider he sends through the link.

*Courer, pass this along to Raider! The nova is a teleporter. Buzz is trying to talk him down but he might leave with the crashed object, taking you with it!*

Quote:
Jimmy Boothe:
Trying to reach Raider he sends through the link.

*Courer, pass this along to Raider! The nova is a teleporter. Buzz is trying to talk him down but he might leave with the crashed object, taking you with it!*
(To Jimmy and then to Adam) *You say that like it's a bad thing. Raider says this thing is jury rigged, not pre-burn. If he takes Raider back to home base, that'll tell us where he's from, right?*

Quote:
Fox:
Once he finishes he opens the link, "Hey Courier, what's going on out there? This thing just rocked like it was moved. The talks still going well? Has he backed down."
(Only to RAIDER) *He's still verbally duking it out with the old man and talking about taking the whole thing back to his pad. There's something to be said for letting him, if you stayed on board that would show us where he's from.*

EDITED: Second psi-message was labled to the wrong person.

Quote:
Buzz's eyebrows furrow in frustration, was he ever this rude or impatient?

"Now you wait just a goddamned minute!"
The rippling energy around the wreckage wavers momentarily before continuing to envelope he wreckage.

Quote:
"This isn't an invite any more. Get me sonny?"
"This is growing both tiresome and tedious," the nova replies ignoring Gregory's inquery completely. He even seems unphased by Buzz's own quantum fueled charisma.

"I tire of this ... goodbye," he says with finality. Suddenly the ripping sound escalates and then terminates in a loud POP! and the nova and the wreckage are gone.

In the now empty crater Raider is crouched holding onto an oblong dark green box with wires dangling from it. The rest of the group is staring with more than one look of shock on their faces. Only Buzz has no look of surprse but instead appears as though a great weight of weariness has settled upon his shoulders.

Raider stands shocked in the center of the crater. Looking over at the rest he becomes semi-solid. "Um, what just happened? I thought you guys were in talks with the aberrant."

He stands up straight, and walks over to where the rest are waiting. With a grin he holds up the flight data recorder, "Well at least he didn't get the most interesting part of the craft. This should give us as much information as anything else in that bucket could." He chuckles.

Noticing the look on Jimmy's face, "Hey, don't worry about it. That thing really was thrown-together junk. Between the two of us I'm sure we could produce a better craft, even if we had to start from scratch."

Gregory's shock turns to disappointment, when the strange man vanishes with the object. He begins walking towards Jeep, while looking at the shocked, and even angry, faces around him.

Opening the door to Jeep, Gregory states flatly. "Come on guys, let's get out of here. I don't want to be here when the next group shows up. Besides, I'm hungry."

He sits down and closes the door. A look of shocked frustration is evident on his face.

Jimmy's dissapointment seems much mollified by the recovery of the flightrecorder.

"If that machine was connected as an actual flightrecorder is supposed to be, than it will give us a wealth of information about that craft."

He grins at Raider, his enthusiasm much returning.

"I'm glad you grabbed what you did. Come on everyone. We need to examine this device immmediately!"

He swiftly moves back to the jeep, sliding into the drivers seat. He looks over at Gregory and smiles.

"We have the flyers flightrecorder. Its like its memories. It will give us alot of information."

As he turns the key in the ignition, he hopes that what he just told Gregory wasnt a lie...

Buzz's shoulders are slumped and his face is long as he trudges to the jeep. He always mentions how old he is, in fact he usually includes it in his greetings. But now is one of the first time he actually 'looks' old in his demeanor.

"Old and useless." he mumbles as he gets into the jeep.

Raider pats Buzz on the shoulder as he climbs in the back of the Jeep. "Don't worry about it, he was obviously a powerful nova. I mean he teleported that whole ship. I can't imagine the power that must have taken."

As he settles in he places the semi-transparent flight recorder on his semi-transparent legs for protection.

Courier states,

"We'll see broken window pieces somewhere around here... maybe wing parts. Doesn't sound worth the trouble or risk with others bound to show up. I say we just leave now."

Courier starts to hover again but another thought occurs to him,

"Buzz, Gregory, I was remiss to not offer to link to you earlier. That could have cost us, especially since Buzz, you didn't know what Raider was able to see."

"So I'm offerring now, take my hand and it'll be like with Adam, Raider, & Jimmy, a quantum telephone."

Doug offers his hand...

Archived