Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Table Talk: Phoenix Rising

jameson (ST)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Raphael Bradford:
So long as I can keep enough free time to post regularly (which I think I can do) we might actually be able to get a decent amount of gaming in.
Then, to quote Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail:

"GET ON WITH IT!" wink

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueNinja:
The problem isn't strength, it's size. Adam has only one dot in Warp - which means it can only cover, at max, three square meters; by default, it's normally 2 meters long by 1.5 meters wide. That's not enough space to fit any Jeep I'm familiar with.
Jeep Stats

Let's do the math. Adam creates the gate 20 feet up. Normally it's 2mx1.5m, so he adds a meter to the 1.5 making it 2mx2.5m, or 59 inches by 98 inches.

Body Width is 74 inches so that's easy.
Body Heigth is 69 inches so that's pretty darn close.

If he can take 20 inches from the longer side and add it to the other (i.e. add something like 0.5 meters to both sides) then it works.

You get in. Adam fires up the Warp. Doug flys through the gate with it while holding on to the front bumper.

Quote:
Originally posted by Courier:
Let's do the math. Adam creates the gate 20 feet up. Normally it's 2mx1.5m, so he adds a meter to the 1.5 making it 2mx2.5m, or 59 inches by 98 inches.
Without pushing the power, how am I supposed to make my Warp larger? Its maximum size is three square meters. 1x3, or 1.5x2, or something inbetween, is all I've got.

I took the initiative and posted moving you all through the warp and into the forest, if need be I will retcon to fix my post tomorrow.

Warp is fixed size with Quantum so a max would be needed to push the power and get extra size. I suppose I should warn you about my house rules for maxing powers now laugh

Power Maxing

The point of Willpower and the variable Quantum cost are all the same. As well as the roll and spending the sucesses gained. The primary difference - ney the only difference - is that Maxing AUTOMATICALLY gains a point of temporary Taint. Period. Shoudl you botch you will gain MORE taint.

Aditionally every time a character burns health to gain Quantum (be it one level or 10) they gain a point of Taint (temp).

Needless to say the price of power is greater in this game but then I always felt that it was a little too easy to run around ignoring Taint with the normal rules.

I took the initiative and posted moving you all through the warp and into the forest, if need be I will retcon to fix my post tomorrow.

Warp is fixed size with Quantum so a max would be needed to push the power and get extra size. I suppose I should warn you about my house rules for maxing powers now laugh

Power Maxing

The point of Willpower and the variable Quantum cost are all the same. As well as the roll and spending the sucesses gained. The primary difference - ney the only difference - is that Maxing AUTOMATICALLY gains a point of temporary Taint. Period. Shoudl you botch you will gain MORE taint.

Aditionally every time a character burns health to gain Quantum (be it one level or 10) they gain a point of Taint (temp).

Needless to say the price of power is greater in this game but then I always felt that it was a little too easy to run around ignoring Taint with the normal rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueNinja:
Without pushing the power, how am I supposed to make my Warp larger? Its maximum size is three square meters. 1x3, or 1.5x2, or something inbetween, is all I've got.
3 meters square isn't Max, it's typical.

(page 228) "...Warps are typically three meters square; the nova may alter the shape by one meter (either dimension) per dot."

Quote:
3 meters square isn't Max, it's typical.

(page 228) "...Warps are typically three meters square; the nova may alter the shape by one meter (either dimension) per dot."
eekconfused Er ... right, sorry, I had gotten so used to a house rule from the tabletop game I'm in. So ok, I could fit the Jeep, but we're already on our own.

I could use a litte help from you all. I dont really know how the progression of technology works in the Aberrant universe, so what kind of gadgets would Jimmy have accumulated? He has more of an interest in larger machines, and not just military ones. Are there any vehicles that might have caught his eye? Or interesting ieces of futuristic machinery? He does have the resources and skill to fix and keep them (5 in resources, science and engineering)

The real question is whether or not the hyper-engine is available. If that's the case then you could have a flying car... although getting the hydrogen to feed it might be a challenge.

Other than that, it's tough to say. The op-net crashed and that was the big information storage location for pretty near everything. Unlike Trinity we didn't go through the dark era when all of baseline humanity delibrately burned everything that was associated with the Mega-Int minds... although it could be argued we went through something worse.

I was thinking about asking the good doctor if Jimmy could have some sore of flying vehicle. I was thinking something based on turbo-fans. Maybe its still on his repair bench, not yet complete.

Also, regarding weapons, Jimmy wouldn't have a moral issue trafficing in arms and armor. The more interesting things like MASER and rail-gun technology would interest him greatly. However, I doubt he's stumbled upon the remains of a DeVries depot out in the wasteland.

I was thinking he might have advanced forge-type equipment such as tools and molds to make and refine very pure substances and base materials. Its good to be able to make a very strong plow using ceramics and purified metals, but the same materials can make a new shell for a hypercombustion engine.

If you are looking for MASERs and rail-guns, Gregory could check with some of the local warlords, weapons traffickers, and criminal gangs. They might have the Tech, or know where it is most likely found. The feasibility of such a thing is up to the Doc of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by James:
Although Jimmy wouldnt have a problem working on weapons or selling them. He would question giving resources to local warlords. He sees his goal as raising society back up, not beating it back down with despotism.

Does Gregory have that kind of contacts with weapons dealers?
Local Warlords = Powerful Novas.

And a despot might be an improvement over what they have now. The "King" system has the advantage of not being Anarchy.

Quote:
Local Warlords = Powerful Novas.
And a despot might be an improvement over what they have now. The "King" system has the advantage of not being Anarchy.
Not always true.

Remember that while a nova could potentially have world altering reality bending powers they are just as likely to be pretty darn harmless. I would put my money on a group of determined baselines over Raider, Buzzkill, James and probably even Gregory any given day.

While the Aberrant groups will all be lead by a powerful Nova/Aberrant not all groups of hostiles will be lead by anything more than a baseline.

Regarding the "jeep"...

Originally I had not intended the vehicle to be an ACTUAL jeep but I figure why not there are plenty still on the road after 50-60 years so it's not THAT unreasonable.

rgearding hovercraft, turbo-fan craft, teleporter pads, advanced materials and machinery ...

The world's major cities were nuked, heck even secondary and teritary targets got a whupping.

Advanced technology is not going to be common in any form (working or otherwise). Resources 5 may be nice but it'll only get you so much before you have to convert it to rating in Gadget.

If James really wanted to build a hypercombustion turbo-fan hover vehicle I would allow it over a long enough period. It would cost him experience and a certain number of dots from his resources would "become" dots in Gadget to represent the drain to his funds that the materials and time (as in time away from work) would cost him.

Similarly if Raider would like a secret lab under his house he will need to BUY Sanctum dots using experience and resources to build the room and stock it the with the appropriate high tech toys.

I'm sorry people these aren't even my rules they are WWs and are built into the core rules.

Powerful <> Physical Force

If Geisha is still around I expect her to be Queen of where ever she is. Her inability to kill people doesn't matter a whole lot if she can give orders to "thug" type novas who can. Similarly, part of the issue is simply one of compatence. It's difficult to see any situation where Geisha is a member of this type of society and doesn't end up leading.

Granted, that's an extreme example, and there are no doubt groups of aberrant hating baselines around who won't have anything to do with novas for obvious reasons.

But up until the novas go insane and fry their followers, nova lead groups will dominate non-nova groups. James & Raider put together a functional electric grid, water purifier, and hydroponics facility to make a much lager settlement possible.

Having more people and a higher tech level, their settlement dominates it's neighbors and gets bigger, attracting still more people and more novas.

Of course this only holds true all other things being equal. Another possibility is that over the long term baseline only societies will continue to grow in power while the nova lead societies melt from taint periodically.

No argument's there Courier I just wanted to point out that not every hostile force will have an Aberrant or Nova behind it and not every successful settlement needs to have Novas doing infrastructure work.

I apologize if it seemed as though I were saying your point was wrong. I only meant that it was like any rule - doomed to fail because of it's own exceptions.

...not every successful settlement needs to have Novas doing infrastructure work.

Actually this brings up a different point. Is the eruption rates much higher than during 2008, or is it just that the novas tend to live more, or is it even that novas are hearing about our settlement and joining?

This is just an idea, and the Mega-Brains would ultimately have to formulate the plan.

I can have Gregory scout out the location and tell the others what he sees, and whether there are possible hostiles. He has a high stealth and chromatophores. Also, his subterfuge is high, so if he is caught, he has a good chance of talking his way out. We would need to get him closer, however. Once we know the options available, we could formulate some sort of plan.

Of course he could be obliterated instantly as well.

I'm really sorry to have to ask this, but I only have access to a few of the core books...

There is a background called Gadget? And Sanctum?

If I had known of this, I would have put a nova point or two into additional backgrounds.

Could I still do this? All I'd want to do is maybe loose a point in Quantum Conversion and put it towards those backgroudns...

Quote:
I'm really sorry to have to ask this, but I only have access to a few of the core books...

There is a background called Gadget? And Sanctum?
Technically, those are backgrounds from Adventure! which, I suppose, could be added into Aberrant easily enough. I use the Gadget background in the Ab game I run on the Eon forums, specifically to represent advanced nova-tech items.

It is also present in Trinity and bugs me that it is not in the Aberrant book. Similarly for Sanctum which again is a skill that has appeared in many a WW book but not Aberrant (even though Superheroes and secret hideouts are like chocolate and peanut butter)

James PM me and we can discuss.

Quote:
Do you think the Mega-Perception enhacement Electromagnetic Vision could allow one to see dangerous concentrations of radiation?
Not really, that'd be X-Ray vision. Although if you have E-Vision then you should really turn it on and use the telescopic setting to see if anyone is there ahead of us.

Archived