Aberrant: 2011 - OpNet - 2008: Experience

Singularity

Sylvan: I believe I addressed the abuses you mentioned. You may not have liked my explanation, but that does not mean I did not address them.

Fae makes the same point I was trying to make, that we are adults in a community. We can police ourselves and take out the trash if needed. We can't limit creative freedom based how people MIGHT act. You can only deal with those acts after they happen.

You give people the freedom to act how they see fit and deal with the ramifications of those actions. The alternative is to run things like a police state and restrict peoples' choices, because they MIGHT make a bad choice.

My answer to you concerns about abuse: Let the community police itself.

As for experience:

There are two different and competing philosophies at work here in our discussions of XP.

1)XP based on equality= everyone gets the same XP regardless of how many posts they make. Everyone gets the same reward, regardless of their effort or success. This is generally associated with equality of outcome,. .

2)XP based on proportionality= depending on the number of posts, you will receive more XP. This is associated with equality of opportunity. Everyone has the same opportunity to earn XP, but those who take advantage of the opportunity will reap the benefits. Proportional representation is based on this; i.e. one person, one vote.

So what is to be done? Do we run 2008 XP awards like the US Senate, where each state(individual) gets the same number, regardless of population(posts). Or like the U.S. House of Representatives, where the number is determined by the population(posts).

We could have a compromise where both processes are used.

RE: Awards

In theory I'm not opposed, but I’m not sure their value out weighs their limitations.

Awards: Advantages

Encourage play.

In theory might be able to encourage newbies because they, in theory, might be able to catch up with a fair amount of effort.

Awards: Disadvantages

Unless handled well can discourage newbies.

Presumably someone has to keep track of this.

Examples where it might work:

1) 3 exp per month (flat rate) and one more a month awarded to the top 5 posters.

Quote:
3 exp per month (flat rate) and one more a month awarded to the top 5 posters.
I'm not sure if making it competitive would be a good thing. A flat rate of xp per number of posts would be better. Make this not very much (1xp per 20 posts? 50? Dunno, someone else do math) but enough to encourage people to post. And a simple method of penalizing people who obviously spammed (removing xp? maybe) could be enacted.

If it's a flat rate per number of posts it even has the advantage that no one would have to keep track, you'd calculate someone's xp based on the date they created the account and their number of posts.

Lets bare in mind also that quite often (during dialogue for example) we tend to cut down on the size of a post. Thus turning a post that could have been 2 posts into 6 or 8 while characters interact.

I know GMoT and I tend to do this from time to time, it's just a personal style. The issue arises when you are awarded exp based on the number of posts and said posts are hardly what I would consider 'worthy' of being counted towards that number. If I posted several short pissant posts for a fic there is no way I would accept them as my total posts for patricipation awards.

However, not everone sees it that way. We apparently have 'sides of the fence' that wanna be gods in 12 months, and others to whom the concept of 'slow and steady' still has some value.

What's my opinion? Simple, I don't care. My opinion on this matter will not please everybody so frankly whatever you decide will be how it is. Should I choose to participate, and find my character falls behind because I don't as often as others, then I'll simply just ignore those more powerful players, or not get caught up in situations with them that lead me into danger... you know... kinda like the option we all have now... in the 2016 forum.

I love Dr. Troll's enthusiasm, but I'm just horrible with clarifying where to put things. shocked Here's the relevant text as said by him:

Quote:
RE: Exp & Run off Poll

You could simply take an average of all the votes. Unlike most other issues this is one where the difference can be split. For example if there is a tie between 3 & 5 then we could average that out to 4 (since that would be the closest thing to an answer that everyone agrees to).

(yes, this is the correct location for it :P )

Alright, looking at the poll it seems that we're doing monthly experience on the same day of the month. I'm thinking either the 1st or the 15th of the month, depending on when we get the rest of this thing ready to go (as in if we start on the first of October then it'd make sense for November first to be the first day, if we start on the fifteenth etc etc).

As for the amount of experience, we've got a dead tie between 3, 4, and 5 (or more). For simplicity's sake, how about we just go with 4 experience each month?

Quote:
Originally posted by Singularity:
As for the amount of experience, we've got a dead tie between 3, 4, and 5 (or more). For simplicity's sake, how about we just go with 4 experience each month?
I don't see any other good options considering the out come.

Quote:
Originally posted by Singularity:
Alright, looking at the poll it seems that we're doing monthly experience on the same day of the month. I'm thinking either the 1st or the 15th of the month, depending on when we get the rest of this thing ready to go (as in if we start on the first of October then it'd make sense for November first to be the first day, if we start on the fifteenth etc etc).
Just make it the first of the month. That gives encouragement for people to start up in the next 11 days. wink

Archived