Aberrant RPG - New powers Extras and Enhancements

Put your new stuff here, and let me know what you think of the ones that are listed.

Enhancements

Mega Stamina: Longevity

A Nova with this enhancement ages at an extremely slow rate, even in comparison to other Novas with mega-stamina. Each time a Nova takes this enhancement he multiplies his maximum age by a factor of 10. A Nova cannot take the Longevity enhancement more times than he has dots in mega-stamina. Ex. Stan is a Nova with 1 dot in mega-stamina, his lifespan is normally 150 + years. If Stan purchases the Longevity enhancement 1 time his lifespan would now be 1500 + years. If Stan purchased the Longevity enhancement two times then his life span would be 3000 + years.

Mega Stamina: Invincible

There is a point where certain attacks are ineffective against very resilient Novas. Normally attackers always gets at least one die to roll for damage, but if a Nova has this enhancement then the attacker doesn’t get to roll his one die of damage, the Nova is just too resilient to even notice the attack, or at least consider it any sort of threat. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point per attack that the Nova wishes to ignore.

Mega Appearance: A Face too Beautiful

A Nova with this enhancement is just too beautiful to hurt. Those fighting against a Nova with this enhancement often pull their punches, and even go so far as to sometimes miss intentionally. The Nova with this enhancement makes an Appearance roll vs. the targets Willpower. Each net success subtracts one from the targets successes to attack the Nova. This applies only to rolls that may injure the Nova or “ruin” her appearance in some way. If the target botches his Willpower then he has to try to prevent the Nova from incurring any physical injuries of any sort. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point and lasts a scene.

Extras

Power Up

Sometimes your best just isn’t good enough and no matter how many times you blast your enemy with your Quantum Bolt you just can’t seem to hurt him. With the Power Up extra a Nova can spend additional turns charging a power such as Quantum Bolt. For every turn that the Nova spends charging his power he must pay the Quantum cost of the power and he may add up to half again the normal amount of damage that his power does. While the Nova is charging he cannot take any other actions and he cannot spend more turns charging his power than the amount of dots in that power. Ex. Stan is using his Quantum Bolt to attack the Living Mountain. Stan has a Quantum rating of 4 and a Quantum bolt rating of 3 (Lethal Damage). His normal Quantum Bolt does at most 20 points of damage, not nearly enough to hurt the Living Mountain. Stan’s only chance of defeating the Living Mountain is to hit him with enough damage in one shot to knock out the Living Mountain. Stan spends 3 extra turns charging his Quantum Bolt and then on the 3rd extra turn during his initiative he fires his Quantum Bolt at the Living Mountain. His Quantum Bolt now does 20 levels of lethal damage and 30 dice of lethal damage.

New Powers

Quantum Detection

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3

Dice Pool: Perception +Quantum Detection

Range: (Perception +Quantum Detection) x 20 meters

Area: N/A

Duration: Concentration

Effect: Allows a Nova to sense another Nova’s quantum rating, his current and permanent quantum pool, and his approximate location.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description: By attuning to the flows of quantum around her a Nova may sense the quantum in others gauging their quantum rating and quantum pool (current and permanent pool). The Nova can also detect how much quantum other Novas are using for active powers and powers being activated.

Quantum Detection reveals all the quantum signatures within its range giving approximate quantum ratings, and quantum pool ratings. To determine the exact information of an individual requires one turn of concentration on only that individual. Novas that are dormed down may also be detected with Quantum Detection; the Nova using this power must beat the dormed down Nova in contested roll (Perception +Quantum Detection vs. the dormed down Novas dormancy rating).

Ascension

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 5

Dice Pool: Quantum +Ascension

Range: Self

Duration: Scene

Effect: Increases the Novas control of how Quantum is channeled through her body

Multiple Actions: No

Description: The Nova boosts her control over her quantum levels and the way she channels it through her body. Each success on the power roll grants the Nova a pool of dots equal to her successes. These dots can be spent to temporarily increase attributes, abilities, mega-attributes, powers, and quantum. One dot can buy a point of quantum, two points of regular attributes, five points of abilities, one point of a mega-attribute, one point of a power or one extra or enhancement. Only abilities, powers and mega-attributes that the Nova already has can be increased. Also a Nova that has used Ascension to increase her traits cannot use her Dormancy background until all of the increased traits return to normal and other Novas using node detection treat their normal range as doubled to her. Ascension may not be used more times in a scene than the Nova has dots in the power. Attributes, abilities and mega-attributes that can be raised are listed below.

Attributes Abilities Mega-attributes

Strength Brawl Strength

Dexterity Might Dexterity

Stamina Athletics Stamina

Martial arts

Melee

Endurance

Resistance

In Longevity, is the first level upping lifespan by a factor of ten, and each further one doubling that, or is each level upping by a factor of ten, so it goes 1500, 15K, 150K, 1.5Million, ect?

Not bad for the nova who wants to really explore immortality.

Invincible seems a bit costly for the effect, or so it seems to me. Maybe one q a scene, since all it does is stop 1 die of damage per attack, and only then if your normal soak would negate all other damage.

Face To Beautiful:

Hmmm ...

It seems to be a M-Apperance version of M-Charisma's Dreadful Mein. Get rid of the botch result and it seems okay.

Power up ... seems too powerful and too open to abuse. The existing extra for Q-Bolt that ups damage (Supercharge) isn't nearly that powerful. It up the damage dice from x4 to x6, but inflicts a bashing health level to you.

The whole "sitting there, doing nothing else" isn't really that much of a disadvantage considering it ups both the damage dice and the damage add.

Quantum Detection appears to be the Enhancement:Quantum Attunement bought as a power. Good enough.

It has superior range, which is good, but provides too many benefits. It appears to allow the user to "scan a crowd" for novas, plus the duration is concentration, which means it could be used alot for very little cost.

Not good.

I'm not sure how to make this power fair.

Ascension is ... unclear to me. It seems to be an alternative to Node Spark. It seems to mimic some of the abilities granted by Quantum Authority, a level 5 power.

When you say, "add a dot to quantum", you mean the stat, and not the pool, right? That aspect is especially facinating since you have to add it to your already big Quantum Stat of 5 needed for the power. Is this a round-about way to access Q-6 and beyond?

The duration of a scene is pretty heavy as well.

At level three, a Quantum Boost power should stand alone. What you have here is a Quantum Boost added to a Mega-Physical Boost added to something that adds points to combat abilities. I think the combination is over the top, or at least not level 3.

RE: Longevity

That works.

RE: Invincible

This one is going to be tough to balance. As written, it is very weak against regeneration. But decreasing the cost or increasing the duration could easily make it too powerful.

RE: A Face too Beautiful

Broken as is. Book isn’t in front of me but I think Dreadful Mien has a range, only works against one person, and can’t be used when you are attacking people. Also note that subtracting successes is very strong. In theory I could use this enhancement against an army while I was attacking them.

RE: Power Up.

Ouch. That’s very strong... but perhaps not broken.

It’s good you have an example or I’d think that the +50% applied against itself (i.e. +10, +15, +22).

The example should say “spends 3 extra turns charging his Quantum Bolt and then on the 4th turn…”

RE: Quantum Detection

I like it.

RE: Ascension

Very Broken.

I have one dot in Ascension. I roll 6 dice and pay a point of willpower, getting a total of 4 succ (slightly above average). This gives me 16 dots to throw around. I buy 5 dots of Mega-Strength & Mega-Dex (costing me 10 points). The other 6 pumps my core power(s) and/or gives me 5 dots in an attribute. Temporal Manipulation would be especially broken (more attacks), Bodymorph would be even more so (get whatever power you need on demand). And it lasts the scene.

--Edit--

No, it's insanely broken. I do the above and use it for +4 in Q-Bolt, +1 to Q, and get Mastery and MIRV on the Q-Bolt.

Thanks for the feedback, I have made some modifications to the powers listed.

Ascension can no longer boost your quantum rating, I decided that would be too powerfu, and btw Quantum authority is a level power, and do a WHOLE lot more than Ascension can.

The new example should clarify this Longevity

Mega Stamina: Longevity

A Nova with this enhancement ages at an extremely slow rate, even in comparison to other Novas with mega-stamina. Each time a Nova takes this enhancement he multiplies his maximum age by a factor of 10. A Nova cannot take the Longevity enhancement more times than he has dots in mega-stamina. Ex. Stan is a Nova with 1 dot in mega-stamina, his lifespan is normally 150 + years. If Stan purchases the Longevity enhancement 1 time his lifespan would now be 1500 + years. If Stan purchased the Longevity enhancement two times then his life span would be 3000 + years. If he purchased it three times he would have a lifespan of 4500 + years.

This power is now updated, changed and clarified.

Ascension

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 5

Dice Pool: Quantum +Ascension

Range: Self

Duration: Scene

Effect: Increases the Novas control of how Quantum is channeled through her body

Multiple Actions: No

Description: The Nova boosts her control over her quantum levels and the way she channels it through her body. Success on the power roll grants the Nova a pool of dots she can use to raise her traits; the number of dots received is equal to the number of successes scored on the power roll. These dots can be spent to temporarily increase attributes, abilities, mega-attributes, powers, and quantum. One dot can buy two points of regular attributes, five points of abilities, one point of a mega-attribute, one point of a power or one extra or enhancement. Only abilities, powers and mega-attributes that the Nova already has can be increased. Also a Nova that has used Ascension to increase her traits cannot use her Dormancy background until all of the increased traits return to normal and other Novas using node detection treat their normal range as doubled to her. Ascension may not be used more times in a scene than the Nova has dots in the power. Attributes, abilities and mega-attributes that can be raised are listed below.

Attributes Abilities Mega-attributes

Strength Brawl Strength

Dexterity Might Dexterity

Stamina Athletics Stamina

Martial arts

Melee

Endurance

Resistance

I changed this to last the turn instead paying per attack. I was told if it had been per attack it would have more worth it to have regeneration.

Mega Stamina: Invincible

There is a point where certain attacks are ineffective against very resilient Novas. Normally attackers always gets at least one die to roll for damage, but if a Nova has this enhancement then the attacker doesn’t get to roll his one die of damage, the Nova is just too resilient to even notice the attack, or at least consider it any sort of threat. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point per turn.

About Power Up and supercharge, Power up is the only action you can take that turn if you are using it, supercharge can be used and still allow you to use extra actions. You are a sitting duck while using power up, this represent the intense concentration it takes to gather the necessary quantum to fuel such a powerful attack.

For Quantum Detectiona and Quantum Attunement, Quantum Detection cannot detect powers and or mega attributes, it only does quantum, quantum pool, and apparent distance and direction. With Quantum Attuenement you can tell what powers or mega attributes someone has.

Ascension still looks too powerful.

It's Boost with a smaller dice pool but affecting all physical attributes, powers and a host of abilities. Then you're tossing on it lasting an entire scene compared to Boost's reletively quick reduction. And on top of that you're allowing it to add enhancements or extras not already present. It's similar to Node Spark without the massive risk of taint.

Still way broken.

Have you read Node Spark fully? Yeah Node Spark gives you taint, but if I am correct you can temporarily boost your quantum rating with node spark, and then after that temporarily buy level 4 or level 5 powers if you get enough successes. I think Node Spark is broken if you ask me, yeah you can get taint, but I saw a player once with Quantum 5 raise his Quantum to 8, buy Quantum Authority, then turn around and use quantum Authority to become nigh unstoppable. Even Pax couldnt touch him. ALso its not like boost. Lets say you had quantum 6, and you had boost with the extra (extra attribute) twice, that would make it I think a level 3 power. You use it and roll 5 successes, all 3 of your mega stats go up by 5. If you have it for two stats, both stats go up by five etc...

Additional if you read node spark it allows multiple actions, Ascension does not, big drawback.

Additionally Node Spark allows you to buy dots of new powers you dont already have, Ascension on lets you raise things you already have, another big differance.

Node Spark allows:

new enhancement

new extra

one dot in new power

one dot in new m-attribute

That's all.

It does not allow multiple actions, it fades at a rate of one success per [Node Spark] turns, and it grants heightened odds of increasing Taint.

Ascension grants the enhancements and extras, and while it does not allow new powers, it adds to your current powers. This is arguably more powerful, because Node Spark gives you limited dice pools, while Ascension increases your dice pools. What's to keep me from pumping my Ascension dice pool a few times before getting down to business?

Um, you can't raise Quantum with Node Spark, so whoever did that ... wasn't reading the rules. Neither was the GM. There are issues there. For that reason, you can't buy any powers that you could not already do so with xp.

"Lets say you had quantum 6, and you had boost with the extra (extra attribute) twice, that would make it I think a level 3 power."

That would be a level four power, it would fade rapidly, and you could only use it once per scene.

"Additional if you read node spark it allows multiple actions, Ascension does not, big drawback."

Again ... that's not the case.

Also note that Ascension lasts an entire scene (and you can also use it multiple times in the same scene). Node Spark fades rather rapidly. In fact, given the xp costs involved in buying up levels of a third level power, it will usually be fading at a success every couple of turns. And there won't be too many successes because the dice pool (Quantum + Node Spark) is insanely expensive to buy large.

Something I forgot to put in the power description I believe is that you cannot increase Ascension with Ascension. As for raising Quantum you can see I removed that capability from Ascension.

So I know some things seem broken, if you have ideas to make it work better please let me know.

Also I believe Node Spark would have to allow you to increase regular attributes because your mega atts can never exceed your regular atts. I'm at work today and forgot the book, so I can't read it right now.

Nah. Node spark is limited to quantum-based traits. It makes your node work better, not your body. So it doesn't let you increase you physicals or skills.

As written, Ascension is thoroughly broken. I'd say it would make a good level five power, as is (q-min 8). Before you took off the ability to raise your own quantum, it was a q-min 10 minimum power.

If you seriously want to do something like this, I would suggest:

reduce the amount of time the power lasts from a scene to Q+P rounds. Only useable once per scene (otherwise, the ability stacks rediculously well). And doesn't work on skills/attributes.

Alternatively, I'd suggest that you can use the power once per scene, it would last the whole scene, and you could only use it on attributes and abilities (at a one-per success rate). Thus, with five successes, you could raise your dex by three and your martial arts by two, for the scene. This is still a very handy ability, and very versatile (perhaps too versatile, since this might also fail as a power for being unbalancing).

Any power that allows you to do anything is a badly designed power. A power that is versatile but limited is far better.

TOWA, what is the effect you are looking for here? It looks like you are trying to do multiple different things with one power, which is very tough to do.

Anything that boosts the level of individual powers for an entire scene basically voids the xp system.

Boosting attributes is already handled by the Boost powers.

Boosting skills isn't covered, and I'm not sure how to approach it.

Boosting your Q-Stat breaks the game, as it then allows other boosting powers to run rampant.

Boosting skills isn't covered, and I'm not sure how to approach it.

Normal Boost. If I were ST I'd allow it if you wanted to specify one skill.

For a lot less nova points you could get a five in that skill so I'm not sure I see the point. It sounds more like a theme thing.

Q-Vampire can also increase skills, as can Q-Imprint, but both require a host.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
Nah. Node spark is limited to quantum-based traits. It makes your node work better, not your body. So it doesn't let you increase you physicals or skills.

As written, Ascension is thoroughly broken. I'd say it would make a good level five power, as is (q-min 8). Before you took off the ability to raise your own quantum, it was a q-min 10 minimum power.

If you seriously want to do something like this, I would suggest:
reduce the amount of time the power lasts from a scene to Q+P rounds. Only useable once per scene (otherwise, the ability stacks rediculously well). And doesn't work on skills/attributes.

Alternatively, I'd suggest that you can use the power once per scene, it would last the whole scene, and you could only use it on attributes and abilities (at a one-per success rate). Thus, with five successes, you could raise your dex by three and your martial arts by two, for the scene. This is still a very handy ability, and very versatile (perhaps too versatile, since this might also fail as a power for being unbalancing).

Any power that allows you to do anything is a badly designed power. A power that is versatile but limited is far better.
Quantum Minimum 10?!?!, or even an 8!?!?!, have you read the level 4 and 5 powers. Quantum Authority (a level 4 power) can let you raise or lower your Quantum trait. Read Quantum Authority, its pwoer, and only level 4, then read Quantum Supremacy (a level 5 power, which Maul happens to have btw). Level 5 powers are things that are world altering powers, and level 6 powers are on a scale from planetary effecting +. There really isnt any way Ascension could ever be above a level 3 power, it just doesnt compare to Quantum AUthority which does soooo much more.

More Changes

It no longer boosts the Q stat, I thought about it and decided that was broken. I have a character with that power, and even before I re-wrote it to not be able to boost the Q stat (the ST didnt mind if it did) I never used it to boost my Quantum because I felt like I was cheating in some way. Thats why I decided to remove it. As for it lasting a scene, my gaming group has a real hard time keeping track of maintenance powers, so we just made it last a scene. Aside from that it would be like Node Spark in how fast the power fades. Aside from that it does have two weaknesses that Node SPark doesnt, Not being able to use Dormancy while the power is active (which means you HAVE to wait out the power until fades to use Dormancy), and that Node Detection, Quantum Attunement and Quantum Detection all function at double the range when used on said Nova. If you dont think these are enough weaknesses please let me know of any others you can think of. Also in case I didnt state it before Ascension CANNOT be used to give more dots to itself. BTW, yes, this is a Themed power for my character.

If it works in your game, more power to ya. I guess the drawbacks are rather dependant on your gaming group as well. If tracking novas by the nodes and q-signatures is common, it can be a real hinderance.

I get a feeling Ascension is like "Powering Up" from certain anime, right? Kind of "taking it to the next level", but only for a short period of time (the encounter).

• 2 months later...

Neither Quantum Authority nor Quantum Supremacy can be used on oneself. Only Planck Scaling allows for permanent evolution/change. Ascension is a beefed up version of Node Spark without the risk of taint. It should be at least level 4.