Adventure! RPG: Heroes of Our Time - episode 5: Walking in the Valley

Alex Craft

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"No, I ain't met any Pinkertons - think they'd show their faces in this town? Nah, they stay up on the ranches. Their bosses put half this town out of business, so they sure as hell aren't coming here for their drinks."

"And the Marks ... I dunno. Couple a brothers. They used to fight over who was going to inherit the ranch, right? But then their dad went bankrupt, and everything got auctioned off. Ever since then, they've been best pals."

"They used to cause trouble with the ranches, sometimes ... rowdy up some boys and go and tear up some fences, that kinda thing. But now its serious - they stay out for days at a time, and people been killed. I reckon they've got a dozen or so men out there. Maybe more, maybe less ... I can't rightly say who's on the posse and who's with the Marks."

Meanwhile, Kate considers Winston's question and goes poking at her bags, popping open a few buttons here and there to check the contents of a pocket. She tells him:

"I don't really know what I'm going to take. I'll have to go through all of this and pick what I need ... I don't think anything will be too delicate. I build tough, and I don't think it will be necessary to take the most sensitive apparatus along."

"Oh, Dr. Kolani ... wait a moment, um, someone ought to go with you. It looks quiet enough, but we should still stay in pairs, at least."

• 2 weeks later...

Janos look out into the failing light before speaking.

"Jozef, you stick with Herr Bradford. I'll go with the Doctor as she makes her rounds. If Fredrick and Kate find us lodgings, Blaine and Winston can start checking out the last locations of Herr Englebrook. As always, we move to the sound of the guns. Let's get to it."

Blaine nods, pulls his pistol and checks the load on it by sliding the clip out, then pulling the chamber back. Everything looked fine so he re-holstered it.

"OK Winston, whenever you're ready, we can start poking around."

• 2 weeks later...

Radha turns around and gives the men a disgusted glance.

"Do you think I am unable to protect myself?" she demands with all the hauter a Brahman could ever possess. Her dark eyes flash around the group before she sighs.

"Very well, Sahib Rakozi. Just stay out of my way when I do my work."

Archived