Well, I finally go back to d10...

Got some questions to ask about game mechanics:

1) Many enhancements, as Mental Prodigy, Enhanced Memory, Multitasking, require an Attribute roll. Can a player add the character's Mega-Attribute dice to this roll? I think the logical answer is no, but I'm not so sure (I say "logical" cause some of these rolls are +1 difficulty, which seems stupid considering Mega-Attributes rules).

2)The "Magnetic Shield" technique (p208) says "each turn, the player can substract her dots in Magnetic Mastery from the attack successes of any metal weapon used against her character". What does it mean? For example, if a character with Magnetic MAstery 3 is attacked three times in a turn, do the 3 dots apply to each attack, or should the player assign each dot to an attack (ex: 1 dot for the 1st attack, 2 for the 2nd, nothing for the third?). Maybe he can use this power only once per turn? Think the good answer is the first (which is powerful, but this power is only usable against metal, remember?) but, you know what? NOT SURE.

3) Mega Stamine and the Merit High Pain Threshold reduce dice pool penalties du to injuries and pain. What about movement penalties?

4) Soaks provided by Invulnerability apply to Aggravated Damage. Does it mean that the characteruses his whole lethal soaking total, or only his Invulnerability soaking against such an attack?

5) Does a character using Hardbody apply his whole lethal soaking against aggravated damage, or only his "natural" soaking?

I mean, do his armor (kevlar, reinforced suit, Eufiber) apply against this damage type?

Answers are important to me in order to balance the game (almost every character round my table got one of these powers...*sigh*).

Thanks a lot.

• You can add M-Att dice to any roll that calls for the normal Attribute, unless it specifically says otherwise. So go for it.

• Magnetic Shield should work against every attack - after all, it does say 'of any metal weapon' not 'of a metal weapon.' And yeah, I think that's balanced, since it only affects metal and it's wicked expensive to get a high rating in a suite power like that.

• I'd say that reducing dice pool penalties would automatically reduce movement penalties, since movement penalties are calculated from dice pool penalties. However, I'd also say that a character still has movement restricted to 1 meter/turn at Crippled and can't sprint at Wounded.

• Only the Invulnerability soak would apply to the attack, not the lethal soak.

• Armor wouldn't apply, since it isn't influenced by the power - that only affects the nova's body. I'd even say that it also doesn't affect nonphysical soak like from Force Field. You should probably have the player note his/her Aggravated soak separately from lethal.

...Can a player add the character's Mega-Attribute dice to this roll? I think the logical answer is no, but I'm not so sure (I say "logical" cause some of these rolls are +1 difficulty, which seems stupid considering Mega-Attributes rules).

You can use it, but statistically you are better using the Mega-Dice to reduce your difficulty.

2)The "Magnetic Shield" technique (p208) says "each turn, the player can substract her dots in Magnetic Mastery from the attack successes of any metal weapon used against her character". What does it mean?

"Any metal weapon" means exactly that. If you are attacked 100 times then it counts for all of them. Note substracting successes can very easily turn a really good attack into a botch. One of the best (though limited) defenses.

3) Mega Stamine and the Merit High Pain Threshold reduce dice pool penalties du to injuries and pain. What about movement penalties?

Reduced dice pool penalties, Yes. (See Mega-Stamina section).

Movement penalties, No. (Nothing says it so you don't get it). (Meaning the above poster was dead on the money for its effects).

4) Soaks provided by Invulnerability apply to Aggravated Damage. Does it mean that the characteruses his whole lethal soaking total, or only his Invulnerability soaking against such an attack?

Only your Invulnerability soak. INV always should be tracked seperately since it only applies sometimes.

5) Does a character using Hardbody apply his whole lethal soaking against aggravated damage, or only his "natural" soaking?

Rules say his lethal soak. In theory he could be wearing a flack jacket and have that apply in addition. On the other hand, even an attuned flack jacket wouldn't be able soak Aggravated damage for itself (APG section on Attunement says Attuned objects get your powers but not enhancements).

So if he wants to stay with the rules your flack jacket helps you with one attack but gets hosed in the process... but I wouldn't object if the ST skips the "helps you once" part.

Note attuned Eufiber gets ALL your powers and mega-stats. If you turn on Hardbody you should assume it gets it as well.

1) It isn't as insane as it sounds. For Mental Prodigies, each success on these rolls counts as "extra dice", not extra successes. Multi-Tasking cuts down on the Multi-Action dice penalty for one action per round. Enhanced Memory gives a textbook understanding of a subject, not the actual training, and fades after a max of 9 days. Each costs a q.

2) Troll's right, except that losing success doesn't turn an othewise successful attack into a botch. It simply means you fail. After all, if you roll only one success on a +1 difficulty roll, you only fail, not botch. Treat the defense as an extra Attack difficulty.

Quote:
Jager:2) Troll's right, except that losing success doesn't turn an othewise successful attack into a botch. It simply means you fail. After all, if you roll only one success on a +1 difficulty roll, you only fail, not botch.
Intuition used to tell me this was right, but the defense mechanism is much stronger.
Quote:
Jager: Treat the defense as an extra Attack difficulty.
The math is very different. Note that there are lots of things that grant extra difficulty, but very few that remove succ.

The Math.

Joe Nova is stabbed by a baseline with a knife. The baseline gets 3 succ off of 6 dice (he rolled 1,3,3,7,8,9).

If Joe has Super Heavy Armor which imposes a +3 difficulty, then the baseline just failed. He rolled 3 succ but that wasn’t quite enough to cover the difficulty of the action.

If Joe has three dots of Magnetic Manipulation, then the baseline rolled zero succ on a die roll where he also rolled a one. He botched and stabbed himself.

Note that this is pretty reasonable under these circumstances. Using a metal weapon against the Master of Magnetisum isn’t a good idea.

Note also that this is normally only going to come up where baselines are attacking novas. The VAST majority of novas use their flesh or Q-Bolts to attack each other. Novas like Totentanz presumably would know better, and even without his spears he still has Mega-Strength 2.

• 3 months later...

Reducing your difficulty rating works if your ST is fairly cooperative in letting you know how difficult the action is. This is a problem for new gamers that may not own books or know all the rules.