Aberrant RPG - Neo-Aberrant Project

I have become entranced recently by the possibilities of porting Aberrant into a WoD2.0-flavoured system. I think that there are several elements of the system that go a long way to resolving some of the issues I have with the system (in particular, the Mega-Social abilities, and how they all seem to do roughly the same thing only with different ways to get there, may be resolved with the adoption of the Power/Finesse/Defense Attribute paradigm).

With that said, however, Aberrant d20 has shown that a simple port is unlikely to create a truly satisfying port that accurately represents the Aberrant world as written. As such, I wish to do a full system/world port. As in, as we are porting the Aberrant system into WoD-2.0 Storyteller, we are also adjusting various parameters of the Aberrant setting to better "gel" with the system. System, of course, defines reality, so we should embrace this as we port the system.

In short, I'm interested in at least discussing the possibilities of a full re-fit of Aberrant. I'm tentatively calling it the Neo-Aberrant Project, as I think there's an Aberrant 2.0 project already going on somewhere.

What I'd like, however, is some people who would like to assist me in bouncing ideas off of, providing new ideas to put into the project, and to help keep the inherant spirit of the game constant while we adjust elements of the game. If people are interested, please post on this thread. I'll likely be creating a Yahoo Group for the purpose of the project at the end of the week, and will probably start inviting people around then.

The idea is to work on both simultaneously. I'd like to port the game to the system in a way that the ported system can create what the ported setting implies is possible. The trick is to do so in a way that still creates a recognisably Aberrant setting.

Id be incredibly interested in this... kind of streamlining the strengths and intricacies of aberrant, trimming the confusion and inconsistancies and supporting the underlying themes and events...

Count me in full time

Well, one way to do things would to make the world more deadly and then port over some of the nova rules.This would make changing of numbers for the nova a smaller deal and at the same time make them less powerful.

Hi there, I'm new to this site. I caught this thread and would like to join you since I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing for the purpose of an online game I am running.

I have had a number of ideas concerning redesigning the system to enhance game balance, but I've found myself lacking ideas to tackle certain subjects (Mega-Composure and Mega-Resolve in particular have left me a little stumped).

I am keen to engage in a brainstorm and idea-sharing project whose goals match what was outlined above.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Can you spell out your ideas on what an Aberrant setting would be like? Also, are you planning to dispose of the APG?
For the moment, I haven't really elucidated what the "feel" of Aberrant is, it's currently at the point of "I have a gut feel, I'll let that take me where it goes".

As for the APG, I think it'd be prudent to, during this port, focus on the Core Rules that most people would be playing with. Not that I'm totally ignoring it, or disposing of it, but it's not an emphasis by any means.

I think it'd be a mistake to throw out the APG. At the very least, the Merits and Flaws would also be useful, since WOD v2 uses those pretty extensively.

It might be a good idea to bring in Strengths and Weaknesses on the ground floor. Extras are useful for simple edits to powers, but I think that the customization system would work better if extras were more like package deals that you could actually build from smaller bits. Adds a more unified feel to building a power.

Really, it could be pretty nice to sit down and rework the power system from the beginning so that everything is built from the same basic components. Doing that would allow pure customization, rather than the shoehorning of concepts into the established powers. That might be crazy talk, though. ( :

It might also be a good idea to think in terms of bringing Gadgeteering in, probably drawing more from the Super-Science in Adventure than from the APG rules. However, that is somewhat secondary to the meat of building a nova - perhaps better left to supplementary material at some point.

Unless I badly misunderstand the situation, they mean replacing the version of the Storyteller system that is in Aberrant with the version of the Storyteller system that is in the new World of Darkness; they aren't talking about Novas mixing it up with Kindred and Garou.

Timeslip is correct - This is a port, not a crossover. I'm exploring the possibility of converting the current Aberrant Rules to the new WoD2.0 system. While that is happening, I'd also like to work through the setting as well, and do some work on it to better integrate it with the new rules (and, possibly, make it a little more consistent while we're at it.)

At any rate, I've set up the mailing list that I'm intending to use to discuss the project. It's a Yahoo! Group, so people know, and those with a Yahoo account can join up at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neo-aberrant/

Those who have no Yahoo account and have no wish to sign up for one can subscribe by sending an e-mail to:

neo-aberrant-subscribe AT yahoogroups DOT com DOT au

replace the capital words with their correct punctuation to get the real email address.

People can feel free to still use the thread, anyone who is interested can feel free to join. I've deliberately set up the archives of the group as public so people who are interested in observing can merely read posts from the website (or, use the RSS feed that's supplied on the website).