[Fiction] Dr. Troll - Parent Troubles

kestrel404

[submitted for Canon Considderation]

Memo

Quote:
3/27/15

Director Ozaki:

Send me an update on the Smith situation. I have decided that the child should come to term. Have the appropriate information leaked to the papers, we should get as much press out of this as possible. Also, have someone make up a list of doctors for the Smiths to see, make sure all of ours are available to him, and that the rest are too busy. Once our doctor has run all of the necessary tests, have the child disposed of. Genetic disorder, incurable. Make it look good, or this could turn into another Slider.

Director Thetis

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily Smith's day so far has been wonderful. David went to work late so that they could spend a little extra time together, she'd taken the day off herself to run some errands, and little Everette had been an angel, quiet and happy in his stroller, all morning. Right now, she was headed for the doctor's for a checkup. Doctor Cross had been so very helpful throughout her pregnancy, and she's been happy about her choice ever since Utopia sent that list of recommended doctors.

After arriving at the clinic, she hadn't even sat down in the waiting room before the Doctor arrived. Her pleasant greeting died on her lips as she got a look at his concerned face, and suddenly her heart turned to ice as he said, "Emily? Could you come into my office, please?"

Confused and frightened, she followed him through the halls. She pushed Everette's carriage in front of her, but somehow he sensed the change in her mood and he'd stopped giggling happily. After a few twisting white corridors, they arrive, and she sits on the other side of his spartan office. "I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you, Emily. There's no easy way to say this. I just got the genetic tests back from our labs, and Everette has a rare genetic defect. All of our models predict that his heart is going to atrophy at an accelerated rate."

She's struck momentarily speachless. No, this couldn't be happenning. It wasn't possible. He must be mistaken. But what came out of her mouth was far more calm than she felt, "What can we do?"

Doctor Cross shook his head sadly, saying, "I'm not sure there's anything we can do. We will, of course, make every effort, but unfortunately not even a heart transplant or a nova healer would be able to undo the damage the Everette's body is doing to his own heart. We think that the genetic defect is directly related to your husband's nova genes..."

The Doctor's explanations wash over her, grief consuming her completely for a brief time. She hears herself sob once, and then Everette is crying as well, feeling her stress and reacting to it. She holds him, rocking him mechanically, but he only continues to cry. The Doctor moves around the desk and calls her name. After a few moments, she responds by looking at him.

"Emily. Emily. We need to run some tests, Emily. We should find out how far the atrophying has gotten. We don't know how long Everette has. It might only be days, or he could live for years without a problem. Please, Emily, give me Everette and I'll take him to the Hospital for you. I'm sure this has come as a horrible shock to you, we're all very sorry about this. Yes, that's right, we'll take care of everything from here. Go home, lay down, and try to get some rest."

After a few rounds of soothing words and firm orders, Emily relinquishes her child to Doctor Cross. He was the Doctor, after all, he knew what he was doing. As if in a dream, she walked out of the office, down the halls, out to her car, and started driving home. It wasn't until she pulled into her own driveway and reached over to pull Everette's car seat out of the car that the shock wore off and she started screaming. She didn't care that she was standing in her driveway, she just screamed and cried and raged that her baby was gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Mrs. Weidermeyer looked out her window to see what had happened. She thought for a minute that there'd been some kind of car accident and that her neighbor Emily Smith had been run over. Looking out the window and seeing her standing there by her car screaming, she wasn't sure what had happened, but she wasn't just going to sit in her house and ignore it. So, slowly and painstakingly, she waddled outside, careful of the arthritis and the patches of ice, and got accross her lawn to the crying woman. "Why Emily, dear, what ever is the matter?"

The younger woman turned to see her greying neighbor, and hugged her, clinging onto her like a life preserver. The words come gushing out of her, mostly incoherent, but Nancy Weidermeyer gets the gist of it anyway. "Oh, heavens, that's horrible! I'm so sorry, Emily. Here, come with me, I'll make you some tea. Tea is always the best thing for a battered heart."

Prattling on in a soothing manner, the old woman helps the younger one back to her house. While she's making tea, she digs out David's work phone number, which he left in case of an emergency, and she was certain this qualified, and left him a message. Then, she took her tea to the still sobbing woman, and did her best to comfort the distraught mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

David decided that he was fortunate that he was small when he received that message. If he'd been green, he most likely would have leveled his office in rage. As it was, he felt like doing so anyway. The message that his neighbor had left was short and clear: "Your wife says Everette is dying, and she left him at the Doctor's office. She's here on my couch, and really needs her husband right now."

Rage warred with the fear that was clogging his mind now as he ran towards his car. Rage was winning, and without really meaning to, he shifted to big green just as he left the building. The fear washed away, replaced entirely by the rage, and rather than stopping to get in his car, he leapt. Not towards his house, he'd get there soon enough, but towards downtown and the Doctor's office. He'd get the full story, now rather than later, and he'd see his son for himself. He didn't know what was going on, and he didn't care. Any puny baseline that thought he'd let his son die would find out soon enough how wrong they were.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Doctor Cross finished placing the sensor pads on the baby, and moved to insert an IV. He'd already run the child through the appropriate scanning devices, producing 'evidence' that would prove the child had heart defects. The equipment had been modified by a nova, and not even another nova would be able to tell something was wrong without taking apart the scanning equipment. Now, he had the child hooked up to some monitoring equipment, so that he could record his valiant efforts to 'save' the child from the heart attack it would have.

While he took no joy from this, he was mildly relieved that all of this would finally be over. The nova that had altered his testing equipment had been stalking him for years, sending him the occasional 'gift', and asking for various favors in return. When the Smiths had chosen him as their doctor, though, he'd been shown records for every one of those favors, and been offered a choice. Hand over DNA and test results on this child, then fake it's natural death, or else face expulsion from the medical community, jail time, and the anger of the nova in question. Having tasted that anger once before... He couldn't take that again, and what was one child considdering he'd saved the lives of dozens, and helped bring hundreds more into the world?

So he prepared himself to commit murder for the first time in his life, pacing, fretting, holding the trigger to the electric probes hed inserted into the child's skin, alongside the heart monitors. It was amazing how little current it took to actually kill someone, once you got through the skin. Completely untraceable, especially if you do it through one of the new painless syringe needles they use to inject adrenaline in patients with failing hearts. He's steeled himself enough to push the button when the intercomm beeps and he nearly has a heart attack. His resolve flares, now or never, and he pushes the button. The baby gives a piercing cry, and then goes silent. Immediately afterwards, the intercomm buzzes again and his secratary's voice comes over, saying, "Doctor Cross, Doctor Smith is here to see you. Should I let him in?"

His resolve almost fails him completely as he hits the emergency button on the baby's table. The flatline alarm is starting to sound just as he pulls the syringe needles from the child's chest and the nurses rush in. A frantic effort to save the child ensues, doomed to failure because of the damage subdermal electric shock did to the child's delicate heart muscles. Even if Smith showed up now, all he'd find would be his doctor struggling to sustain his child.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let me in there right now."

A security guard looking like he was about to wet himself stood off to one side of the secretary's desk, as she nervously paged the doctor again, "Doctor Cross, Doctor Smith is here to see you. Should I let him in?"

No response from the intercom, and now his patience had worn out. He (literally) walked through the locked doors of the clinic, ignoring the guards surprised shouts, and started loping through the hallways looking for his son. He heard a commotion from one hallway, various medical alarms and panicked medical jargon. Fear began to seep past the rage, but the rage swept it aside as he crashed through another set of doors and found the source of the noise.

Cross and several nurses were clustered around his child, with various syringes and paddles and other instruments gathered attempting to revive the child. The monitors in front of him showed his hyperintelligent mind quite clearly that there was little hope of that, so he called, "Out of my way!" Most of the nurses moved away, but the Doctor and one especially dedicated male nurse stood their ground against this angry green giant. He negligently swept them aside, breaking a few ribcs in the process, and moved to pick up his child.

He seemed so small now, shrunken even more than he would be in comparison to David's green form. His rage was replaced with a hollowness almost immediately, and that hollowness threatened grief. But he shook that away, focusing on the emptiness, using its cold, bitter embrace to help him think clearly.

There was really only one choice here. It was too late to find help. Too late even to get back to Utopia's facilities. He would have to heal his son. It was that simple.

He'd considdered it before. He could make clones of himself by regenerating bits of himself that he'd cut off, so what if he put one of those bits into someone else and started the healing. Would it heal them, or replace them? Well, since there was nothing to lose...

He bit off a fingertip. Ignoring the pain this caused, he gently, almost lovingly, fed this finger to his son's body. Then, concentrating on his healing, on what he wanted to do, on letting his son live, he let the quantum flow.

It was the most difficult thing he'd ever done in his life. Making his first clone was a pale shadow compared to this. For a moment, he thought HE would die from the effort, but he pushed on, and as seconds turned to minutes and he felt like his reserves would run dry, Everette let out a pitiful, painful, wonderful scream.

Doctor Cross, unseen by all, fled the building, clutching a broken ribcage and afraid for his life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Memo

Quote:
12/01/15

Director Ozaki:

The cleanup on the Smith situation is less than satisfactory. The fact that the child is still alive would be of little consequence if it weren't for the fact that there is no satisfactory explanation for the sequence of events that occurred. I recommend that you cut our losses and have the agent responsible for this failure painted as a rogue independent and eliminated. Make sure that the Doctor's blackmail materials are leaked, unless they expose sensitive projects. Also, plant evidence of Teragen involvement.

I will leave the remainder of the details in your hands. Do not fail me again regarding Doctor Smith.

Director Thetis

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived