Aberrant RPG - New enhancement

sanicon

I just thought of this new enhancement, but I'm not sure if it's a good one. Oh well.

For Dexterity

Constant Movement

Sometimes, there is that saying that something “moves, even if it doesn’t move.” Well novas with this enhancement are constantly moving even if they stand still. When they stand still, they move fast. When they move slowly; they move very fast. When they move at a good speed, they move really fast. When they move fast, they move extremely fast. Even if they are not running, their arms and other body parts still move quickly. If a very fast nova is running with this enhancement, nothing can slow him down, ever. No one, not even the strongest nova can change the Nova’s course of movement.

System: To use the enhancement the nova simply spends a quantum point. Once activated, this will protect against all physical damage, but not energy attacks. This will last a full round.

How is it?

Thinking about it.

For 3NP/5XP, and spending 1q a round, I can render myself immune to ALL PHYSICAL damage. It also trumps any level of Mega-Strength used against you for that round. You can't be grappled, Immobilized (Physically), or even deflected from your course, thus trumping some parts of Momentum Control (among other things).

Anyone of those is probably too much and combined, it is mind-bogglingly powerful.

This enhancement looks like a must-have for any nova contemplating combat, thus I think it is broken.

Keeping in line with other Enhancements, I'd say that a somewhat less broken version of this enhancement would provide 1 free dodge action per Quantum spent, or possibly for 1 Quantum, provide an extra action which does nothing but Full Defensive Dodge (I prefer the second). Either of these are probably a better course.

It would really be more in line to give 3 dice or 3 successes toward dodge rolls, as per Accuracy or Athletic Prodigy. That mechanic shows up a lot, and would work fairly easily.

Also, it doesn't make sense for physical attacks, but not energy attacks to be defended against - that restriction is pretty random (you can avoid a bullet but not a Quantum Bolt?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Craft:
It would really be more in line to give 3 dice or 3 successes toward dodge rolls, as per Accuracy or Athletic Prodigy. That mechanic shows up a lot, and would work fairly easily.
See, I did have a think about that, but I realised that such bonus dice wouldn't really give much bang for the buck - typically when dodging, one does so as part of a multiple action, and +3 dice doesn't go so far in such a case.

Spending a Quantum for a free Full Defensive action gives definite bang for your buck, but isn't so overwhelmingly powerful that everyone's gonna want it.

There is a slight issue that such a mechanic technically impedes on Quickness, seeing as a Quickness action can be used to go Full Defensive. That said, I think it's a little better than the +3 dice.

Well, the same argument applies to Accuracy, which exists - it's just dice for an attack action instead of a defense action.

Could just as easily make it +3 successes (which is pretty meaty, and is also a common mechanic), but the precedent seems to be that combat boosts (Accuracy) are weaker than noncombat boosts (Athletic Prodigy).

How about if it gave one free defensive action per dot in mega dex, but only costs one quantum? Like you spend 1 quantum and can add (m-dex) defensive actions... and also, perhaps you do not need to see them coming? Like you spend it reflexively?

Endgame: Umm...apply Jager's first comment to you to that power. Yep, good fit. Definitely broken.

If you want super dodging power, I'd say take FF and make it dex-based. But even that's more than you really need since just HAVING a sufficiently high mega-dex lets you dodge things like bullets and explosives.