Aberrant RPG - Multiple Aberrations

Wanderer

If one wishes a character to have more than the usual 1:1 number of Aberrations per Taint dot (say, two or three Aberrations per Taint dot), is it possible ? Does it require a Flaw, or taking additional Aberrations as Flaws? Does it change the normal progression of social penalties per Taint dot, as well ?

You can take aberrations as flaws per the Player's Handbook.

Do you want to do this on a continuing basis, or as a one time thing?

The number of aberrations does not normally effect your social penalties, but there is a flaw that increases the social penalty as well.

Mostly I wished for a mechanic that allow me to add an increased number of (mostly low-level, but some mid-level and high-level ones as well) Aberrations. E.g. picture the typical cosmic marvel brick/energy projector: Aberrant Eyes (opaque or glowing), Colored Skin (golden/silver/green) (or maybe Scales), Bulging Muscles, Glow, Black Thumb, and maybe Hairless, or Unearthly Beauty, or Disturbing Voice.

There is no mechanic in canon for giving additional Aberrations, except using Flaws and 10 points fill up rather quick (especially if you pick up some canon Flaws, some of them are quite nifty, and IMO work much better as Flaws than Aberrations: e.g. Bad Temper or Lusty vs. Hormonal Imbalance, Dependence or Addiction vs. Feeding Requirement); in general, Flaws work much better, and are better reserved for Mental Aberrations. I wished for a mechanic that would allow both picking up all the additonal Aberrations that may be appropriate for a character concept, without having to agonize over limited slot choices, both as a one-time time at character creation, and on a continuing basis as the character accumulates Taint.

So far, the only ones that can do it are Teragen with Chrysalis. This would not be a problem, since I find myself much more sympathetic to the Teragen POV (with DeVries Elites a tentative second), but and Chrysalis mechanics are woefully broken and unworkable. The only way they may be used is starting a character that has already undergone Chrysalis once.

Really ?? Maybe I was a bit forceful, and I'm sure that canon Chrysalis, with a lot of good will from players and ST, may be used, but working quite well, I find it difficult to believe. In my impression, they have several problems:

Even taking into account every Chrysalis should be a pivotal event for a nova's life, it takes forever and following day to reach the first one: this comes both from the fact it is very difficult to accumulate temporary Taint (and canon rules give very little reason from maxing out powers), and it is excessiviely difficult to convert it into Chrysalis

Inducing it is far too difficult and dangerous (most of all, I find the fact novas supposedly don't regain Quantum in Chrysalis, err, incomprehensible).

Chrysalis converts into xp at a very miserly rate. As it stands, Terats have very little benefits from undergoing it if their taint isn't approaching 10 and they have a truckload of normal xp to spend, or they have some particularly obnoxious Mental Aberration to shed (and they'd be far more wise to learn Aberration Transfer and/or Chimeric Aberration from some wiser fellow, to deal with unwanted Aberrations).

At the very least, I think Chrysalis hould be tentatively re-written as follows:

Difficulty of entering Chrysalis should be normal, or +1 at the very most. Temporary Chrysalis should be gained both if a nova is very successful (e.g. a “10” is rolled on the roll), and fails spectacularly in maxing out his powers, rapid quantum recovery, use of Node Spark, etc. Insight is gained at least as much by exceptional success as by colossal failure. Permanent Chrysalis should convert in experience points at least with a x6/x8 exchange rate. Failure to enter Chrysalis should at most cause the character to lose all temporary Chrysalis and/or give some (1-3) temp Taint. Botching means the nova is unable to channel Taint into chrysalis or enter Chrysalis for a story, or a month of downtime. The character regains quantum normally during Chrysalis. Converting Taint into Chrysalis should be allowed if temporary taint is gained in a scene where most of the nova's actions and use of quantum abilities were appropriate for the Archetype; this may include the very occurrence that caused taint to occur, or not, but overall during the scene the nova's behavior must clearly characterize him/her as the chosen Archetype.

Terats should be able to exchange unwanted Physical or Quantum Aberrations with others of equal or higher value, following the rules for exchanging mental for physical (or quantum) ones.

Chrysalis is hard to get. You have to be doing something in Archtype (ususually dangerous/stressful), you have to botch the roll, you then have to be able to convert the Chrysalis with 7 more quantum points.

Now, assuming you have accumulated the 50 Chrysalis points minimum necessary, you have to have a triggering event, and make the dice roll (between 5 and 9 dice) at a +2 difficulty. Botching is really bad, failure costs you all your accumulated Chrysalis and you get another point of permanent taint. Good luck rolling those three (or two if you are allowed to spend a willpower) success with such a small dice pool.

That is kind of harsh.

Wanderer, just do it. You can pick up flaws without points. That is the fun of the Storyteller system.

Not every thing not human are aberrations.

Metal skin for armour, glowing eyes, wings, tiger skin, living darkness, no hair, glowing body ETC... Are not always aberrations.

Some of things may or may not cause people to like ,love,fear or hate you. But when you simply have them as flavor text, and such it leaves it open for wiether or not people like or dislike hose fetures.. When they are taken as aberrations, they tend to be feared and hated, with only few people thinking of it as anything good.

Vanguard has a taint of 3, he has only three aberrations, and I don't think anyone on the board knows what they are. Yet, when he walks in a room, he is covered in darkness. Nope, that is not an aberration.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Chrysalis rules. As it stands it prevents mini-maxing players from using it to level-up themselves. It's a role-playing tool, a way of plotting your character's development as a Terat posthuman. Yes you get some cool toys when you undergo the process but it isn't really the point.

You don't get a huge return for undergoing chrysalis. But in my opinion that's part of the entertaining inevitable fall into Taint that the Novas are facing. Chrysalis is the only way to control taint and it doesn't work well enough to save the majority of Nova-kind from their final fate as space-roving insaniac Aberrants in Trinity.

As a GM I'd certainly give a Player who's undergone chrysalis free Background dots in Influence to represent the boost in status amongst the terats that they'd get. Plus a few ep's as a reward for good roleplaying.