The Great Character Writing Contest!

Ashnod

Okay. I was speaking with Tarot's player about this back in '04 and want to present it to the group.

I want to do a year-long writing project with interested parties here.

This is what it comes down to: Ever think, DAMN, I wish Jager was my character, I could tell such a tale about him! Or, I love the idea behind Salamander, I'd love to write about her!

Well, this is your chance to do just that!

1) Each "month" a character will be featured. Everyone who participates will write a story that in someway is about that character.

2) The story does not have to be canon for N!Prime. It doesn't have to be canon at all. All it has to be is an attempt to tell a story about that particular character. For example, if the character of the month was Ashnod, someone might write a tale about an alternate timeline where she was a Utopian, or an Elita. Someone might write a love story between her and another nova.

3) The "winner" of that month is selected by the character's player, (who does not participate that month except as judge). I haven't figured out prizes or if they'd be needed, but if enough people joined in we could come up with something.

4) Everyone who participates in the writing project has the chance to have their character (or characters) be the feature that month.

5) All stories are written up, just like the Day in the Life contest. Anyone can read them.

Who is game?

What I envision is that the character is selected randomly from all the participating writer's stables, or only those characters the writer wants to submit. So if 12 writers participate, and among them 19 characters are submitted, 12 will be used, selected at random, throughout the year.

If we get a lot of writers, then I'd like to limit entry to one character per writer, but we'll have to see on how much interest there is.

Might I suggest, without an attempt to be offensive, that there be a limitation in place requiring each character have enough of an OpNet presence to be ranked as a Nova rather than a baseline? Simply because less than that and we likely won't have an accurate idea of whom the character is supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
just so everyone understands...

You do not get to submit a character unless you are willing to be a writer.

The only characters submitted for random selection will be those from the writer's stables.

Everyone still in?
No. I do not think so.

Sorry. I do not think I could write that much.

I'm in, if only to drudge up the side of the game that Billy hails from. As long as the great American novel isn't required, I might have a bit of fun going in on the creative character perception butchering that this could turn into. Once a month isn't so bad for pseudo-busy monkeys like myself. Great idea, btw.

And of course I'd like to put Billy's name forth.

Neat.

yes, we write each month. yes, you contribute on each month's character. There is no length requirement, however, and you'll have about 4 weeks to write what you wish.

If a year is too long, we can shorten that. But I don't want people desiring stories about their own characters, yet slacking on writing them for other characters not their own.

Planning on starting the first go around on Wednesday, the 19th, which will last until about the 16th of February.

Feel free to post everything at once, or if it is a longer tale, in sections as you choose.

I'll reveal the first randomly selected character soon.

List of WRITERS thus far includes myself, Codex, Totem, Tarot, Bandwidth, Long, Prodigy, Alchemist, Horrorshow, Amped, Endeavor, and Jager.

Anyone withdrawing?

Final note: at least three of us have multiple characters we can enter. Some are choosing to enter a single character from their stables. Should I limit how multiples from each writer get put in the drawing for featured character each month, or is everyone cool with all multiples going in? I ask because there's a good chance if we put all characters in, someone might not get to write/we'll all be writing about one person's alts.

If I had enough creative energy to do 12 half-decent stories I'd love to be in on this, alas my ideas come completely at random, cool idea one month, sod all the next. Plus I just know fate would kick me in the nuts by blowing up my computer or something as soon as I'd promised anything long term, usually happens that way wink

Still I can't wait to read what you lot write, sounds a really, really interesting project.

Meh, lemme try on the story, It's been a while, but if we're allowing re-envisioning, I think I'll be able to cope.

For people's benefits, Sydney Holland and Teknokat will be my two into the draw. Those who are new here will likely have to look them up, although if people like, I'll repost the original uber-writeup of Sydney and finish one for Teknokat...

Archived