Aberrant: Nova Reality - Procyon - The Office Memo Saga

kestrel404

TO: WCK Members List (Secure)

RE: Procyon

I'm sending this out on the secure list so that the things we say here don't come back to bite us on the ass later. I'll put Crusader back on that list when we're done. I trust everyone else to be discreet with what's said here.

I invited Procyon over to talk to us about Teras. Some of you may think that's the stupidest thing I've ever done. You may be right, but hear me out first.

I agree with what he's done. It's correct morally, and it's something I've been hoping a Terat would do for a very long time. I had my hopes pinned on Ashnod for a while. Sean, you were a possibility but never enough of a key player to swing something like this. Procyon has gone and made himself a target. He's made all of his associates targets. He's made this entire city into a target. It's probably why he chose to live here - because right now Chicago has more defense against nova attacks than any other city on the planet, including Tokyo and New York.

So, basically, if we ignore this situation, Chicago will likely get leveled in the backlash. If not Chicago, at least a number of Novas that I know many of you considder friends. I'm not one to sit back and let that happen, that's why I'm on this team. So, by asking for 'lessons on teras', I've just painted an even bigger bullseye on us than there is on him. We'll be the novas who know teras without being in the Teragen.

And this is why you're all going to think I'm an idiot. Because it means we're all going to be magnets for trouble. But if we can spread this beyond just us, get it so the average nova can learn teras without joining the boys club that is the teragen, it would diffuse the situation on so many levels that we might be able to eventually divert the oncoming war. All we need to do is hold off the Terats until then.

Which is the other reason I invited Procyon here. I'm hoping we can get strategic and tactical information out of him. We need to know what's coming, how bad it will be, and how we can fight it. Otherwise, we're sitting ducks.

Anyone who disagrees with me better speak up now. I'm not about to tear apart the team just for the sake of getting everyone killed. If you don't think we can do this, if my plans are flawed enough that you all disagree, I'll back down, and we'll play damage control like good city defenders. But I think we can make something great out of this, and I hope you all agree with me.

To: WCK Members List (secure)

RE: Upcoming meeting.

-Procyon is a citizen of Chicago. We have an obligation to defend him while he stays within the locals laws.

-We are in serious danger of turning this city into a war zone. (Sadly something we are all too familiar with anyway).

-I recommend to Sandcaster that she activate Revenant at once and consider adding other temporary members to the roster as she deems necessary.

-Personally, I vote he stays. Making the Human Authorities in this city realize they have to keep him isn't going to be easy. We have got to get them to realize that no other municipality wants him either (so we are stuck with him no matter what.) We play this as a matter of human and transhuman rights and freedoms, something at the (theoretical) core of American Civil Society.

To: WCK Members List (secure)

RE: Upcoming meeting.

I guess by now some of you might have figured out that I will support Procyon a hundred percent. Just because we're no longer human doesn't mean we can't work together with open-minded baselines.

Sandcaster, I'm happy to help out. If nothing else, I can help with keeping things polite at the meeting.

Samhra

To: WCK Members (secure)

RE: Meeting

This may be a damgerous step for us to take. Let us not do so lightly. That said, I support this course and will do all I can to rally public support to whatever is decided at our meeting.

Secure in his "sanctum sanctorum" high in the HQ Building of the Windy City Knights, the majestic form known to so many as The Crusader swivled in his reinforced chair, the magnificent view of Chicago sweeping out of his line of vision to be replaced by a panoramic view of his office... and then the window once more, for the twentieth time in as many seconds. "Ah, the sign of quality of a really good chair; pivot without limit!"

He finally came to rest facing his desk after the third exploration today of the chair's remarkable pivot engineering, and his eyes took in The Computer. He had thought of it in capital letters ever since he had first laid eyes on it; the screen set in the surface of his desk, elevated at just enough angle to afford a touch of privacy when working on super-secret communications; the touch-sensitive keyboard within the glass surface of his desktop; the intricate inner workings buried somewhere within the mahogany and oak of the massive desk itself.

He reached out a mighty yet gentle hand and caressed the edge of the monitor almost lovingly, running his sensitive fingertips lightly across the keyboard, then respectully to the edge of the desk once more.

"Yes, you're a marvel of crime-fighting technology, a digital diva of dedicated deducing." The blonde god sighed a wistful sigh, his eyes raising heavily once more to the darkened screen. "If only I knew how to turn you on...."

Archived