sanicon

As an ST I am wary of anyone trying to use complicated scientific based knowledge in game. It seems to work out that the player has a wealth of some data and has found a way to exploit that in game. A biology major with the Animal Mimicry power in Marvel figuring out how to duplicate every power under the sun. A physics major explaining how to use kinetic control in ways never designed in the system. I look at it from Bandwith's point of view, just use those powers in existence and apply them.

Brief consideration indicates: Fictionally speaking ZPE is primarily functionally a 'generic power source'. Powers relating to the generation and dispersal of more conventional energy (primarily electromagnetic, possibly kinetic) could be justified, but nothing seems to stand out as ZPE-specific.

That is, one could just as easily justify many abilities by saying 'I harness the power of the sun!' (Except ZPE-charged powers would presumably work anywhere).

One -might- consider allowing enhancements that lower quantum-cost for powers used (because the majority of the energy employed is distilled from ZPE, with quantum only being employed to harness and direct that energy).

Sounds like a play to bend/break the rules using a cutting edge theorum. Since this is a supposed baseline/constant of all energy, IT CAN BE USED TO CREATE ANY KIND OF ENERGY EFFECT.

My suggestion is that you tell the player that such powers can not be accessed by someone with the starting allowable Quantum Score (5). Since it is a "Foundation" power, like some of the Authority/Supremacy Powers listed in the APG, it isn't something a beginning nova can do.

In my opinion, it sits around a Level 5/Min Q:8, so it is way out of bounds.

I agree with both Jager and Prodigy. However, if you (and your ST) really want to find some way to include it in your game I'd take a different approach. Instead of looking at powers initially, look at how ZPE already appears in the game. For instance is ZPE actually the underlying power source for nodes, which are biological organs capable of interfacing directly with the quantum field? This would explain where all the power (energy) is coming from that novas manipulate. This also ties in nicely with the backgrounds of A!dventure and Trinity.

With this in mind "ZPE" powers are just manipulating quantum so you should look at the metapowers like Quantum Imprint (Note: just because Nova ZPE could create any energy effect doesn't mean he should intuitively know how to do it), Quantum Leech (drawing away the stored ZPE/Quantum of other novas), etc. You might even want to look at a form of force field or invulnerability with the weakness that it only works against nova quantum powers.

Another thought occurs to me; if Nova ZPE could affect raw background ZPE then you should look at disintegrate to reflect what happens when the ZPE is pulled away from an area.