Aberrant RPG - How much Gaming is there in your Game? Or: Comics among us?

Ok...the world of Aberrant is more or less reality-based. According to the cannon, DC comics exists as does White Wolf (the mention of Vampire Larp/Primogen crap)....

So the question is do you just ignore this or how do you deal with it in your game?

For Example: Billy's got a habit of calling the Teragen the Sabbat (for obvious reasons)....which for some people is kind of funny but to another member of our troop it seems to take him out of the game a bit.

I mean would Marvel try to sue Second Story Man (from the Underworld book) because he's almost Spiderman? Or do you delete spiderman from the reality of Aberrant to justify that Second Story man's eruption is so fucking parallel to Peter Parker/Spiderman's that's it's not even funny and mostly lame? (Or do you just accept Second Story man as one of the many "Joke" or Mainstream Rip-off (Variant is a kinder term) characters in Aberrant and ignore him?)

Is it wrong to have a character who use to read comic books and roleplay?

Is it right to have a charcter who used to read comics and roleplay?

People can roleplay or write most convincingly on a subject when it's one they know well. I think there is some truth in in the maxim 'you should write about what you know'. I don't think it's a hanging offence to have a character that used to be a roleplayer but I wouldn't use that device myself. I think it makes more sense to have a character who used to read comics in the Aberrant world because I would imagine that comics/superhero films would have undergone a massive revival in the wake of Utopia/T2M.

WW Rip-off characters. I tend to ignore most of the 'joke' characters that WW include in their sourcebooks because my players can do that sort of thing for themselves. Some of them are good though, I can't help but include the Hunter S Thompson clone myself.

Question; does Billy call the Teragen 'the Sabat' and actually expect anyone else he's with to understand the joke? Or does he do this in a John Crighton/Farscape way where all the people around him are wondering what the hell he's talking about?

Sure some role player and readers of comics are going to erupt. The question is how they will interact with the people that aren't of a similar background.

I don't know Farscape too well but I can assure you him mentioning the Sabbat gets about the same look you would get telling the bus driver about the Teragen, or a Plumber explaining the economics and history of fecal-resisting polymers....

It's weird random knowledge that points out you're either a) geeky or B) enjoying being weird (which is more Billy's route).

A bit of Rambling on the Topic/problem:

For what it's worth, calling a "villain" or whatever by a Marvel/DC name is a fairly standard way of Unsettling and or pissing off someone....but it shouldn't unless they actually care/know about comic books or what not. Of course that's In-Character. Out of Character is another thing. No one wants to hear "in character" that their character reminds another of an almost identical character in a comic book. We all want to be original (or if we make a tribute we pretend the original didn't exist). If someone asked Tarot if he read a lot of comics and picked his name after the Marvel's Fortune-telling Psychic Mutant "Tarot" it might irk the player a bit. I mean, it's just a name, more or less, that applies to one's powers. 2 people named Tarot are going to end up with somewhat similar powers for them to have chosen that particular name. It's not a dig, your name just seemed like a good example of the issue somehow.

To be fair, Billy's pretty close to the old Dr. Spookshow stories now that I think about it. Nothing's really original when you get down to it.

A lot of people just create a character and expect the troop and the world to accept it as is. If you make a guy who's a habitual cigar smoker that turns into a Orange Rock-skinned man, don't be angry when people call you the Thing (or do the FF comics not exist and you really are the "original" Thing?). If you name your character Venom don't be upset if someone makes Spiderman jokes around you.

It's that kind of thing. I've done it on the forum from time to time. Anytime I see Dunkelzahn post Billy always makes some obscure Shadowrun joke. He's cool with it (or has been so far).

btw Walker, thanks for being the 2nd person to encourage the idea that in the world of Aberrant Super-hero comics and movies would have gone through a popularity renaisance.

Since we have no reason to believe that White Wolf didn't exist, it is likely that anyone doing an Opnet search on Sabbat would come up with a corollary from VTM.

A fictitious group espousing total freedom and the abandoning of the "established" way, versus the public philosophy of the Teragen, which espouses absolute personal freedom and how the established order has no hold over you.

Hmmm ... not a huge reach.

BTW do WW ever give any real hint of what happens in the Cannon timeline on Candlemass 2017? I was so expecting to find out in the Reignofevil book... and so dissapointed. I would have liked to have seen some explanation or even a bit of discussion about the social and political fall-out.

Might not have actually used WW's plot device but I would have at least liked to have SEEN it in the book that dealt with the organisation.

Quote:
billy Horrorshow: Out of Character is another thing. No one wants to hear "in character" that their character reminds another of an almost identical character in a comic book. We all want to be original (or if we make a tribute we pretend the original didn't exist).
Ahem. :rolleyes:

I've taken the opposite track. The comparison is annoying to the character but not to the player.

Everyone knows (OOC and IC) who Troll looks like and what his 'theme' is. He had the misfortune to identify with the comic book character right before his eruption (lost his temper dealing with a dysfunctional computer mouse).

On the other hand he takes a lot less teasing about this than you would think.

There was a miniseries out last year called "Secret Identity." It was about a normal guy in a normal world who just happens to share his first and last names and place of birth with the world's most famous fictional character. And then came a time, when - in a very Aberrant style way - he wound up with the powers of the Man of Steel.

That's an Aberrant character I could get into.