[OpNet] 5-11-2015 - [PUB] Searching

Sakurako Hino

Sakurako.gif

Mood: Stretched Thin

Music: Rows and rows of humming machinery

Ever feel hopeless? Ever had someone depend their life on you and your actions?

I'm in that situation right now.

Someone right now depends on me to find him. Someone I owe my life. But right now I feel so... powerless.

I cannot find him with any technology I have, I cannot even begin to figure out some alternate way to search for him, and my clues are next to naught.

If something happened to him... if he's... dead... I do not know what I would do or how I would react. All I know is, I have failed him if that happens. I'll be damned before I let him die after he helped save my life.

I cannot even begin my duties at the WCK untill I complete this last obligation. I owe him that much.

Experience has taught that impossibly complex problems can be subdivided into smaller discrete tasks or problems not impossible. Experience has also taught that groups may accomplish much denied to mere individuals if they are capable of working in groups. There are many that with the best of intentions fail miserably when part of a group but if their own motivations can be turned to accomplishing their portion of the group effort what can be accomplished is truly inspiring.

*sigh*

It's Conduit. After Typhoon and Him tangled with a US Submarine that DS pirated, Conduit somehow got lost in the mix. All signs point to him being alive, Since Ty, Long, and Jager seem confident he survived, but every attempt so far to find him has turned up naught.

The worst I can think, is that where he is, he's in a regenerative or supportive stasis. Using as little energy as possible to just keep his life going. I can only believe that's a fate worse than death.

I've tried everything from monitoring heat distortions, to using readouts of sonar anomalies to find him.

I've even used a sensor that picks up on ambient quantum energies, but all I've picked up on is the quantum haze of the sorrunding area, or even my own. I've even dormed down just so that I didn't mess with the readings.

Most likely, this may be a waiting game. He may have to send what could be called a distress signal once he can fully recover from any injuries that he's dealing with.

I know, longshot there. But as soon as I can grab some sort of way to find him... I can do something. It's just right now, I cannot see how my WCK teammates can assist when I can't even get to square one regarding this.

Dammit... if he really is... dead...

No... I can't think that.

Conduit is likely still in his metal form, I've seen no idication that he can dorm. My searches thus far were like yours Endeavor. I searched for his quantum signature. But perhaps a simpler search is in order, say for large deposits of copper. Heck, may even electrical field sensors may help. Due to certain events going on right now I can't participate in long range searches, but I will search the area around Japan. I realize you may have already tried these simple techniques, but perhaps we should return to simpler methods, highly advanced ones don't seem to work.

Seeing as sitting on the bottom of the ocean is one of the less pleasant ways to spend your days, I suppose I could chip in.

If someone would convey to me his quantum signature (through teeping or simply with something that he burned a lot of juice around), I could attempt periodic scans for him when I'm between projects. Technically, he's well within my range, though in practice it could still take a while - picking a single signature out gets pretty hit and miss beyond a hundred kilometers or so.

Good lord.

MAD. It is an acronym that stands for Magnetic anomaly detection. This was the technological method used in the last century to localize submarines by the manner in which a metallic hull and electromagnetic signature would distort the magnetic field of the Earth. You are searching for a being composed of quantum faux copper. A being who possesses the ability to generate high voltage electrical discharges, which indicates an inherently high energy potential. Once the various factors of currents with the relative effects on set and drift are determined, and Conduit's extremely high mass with low relative surface area are taken into account, you have a search radius of less ten miles. While I understand this not a particularly small area given the environmental conditions, neither is it an especially large are.

While working to capitalize on last century's technology you might also consider a member of your group by the name of Typhoon, who is reportedly able to operate in those harsh conditions, is extremely swift and apparently has high visual acuity in low light conditions. I would think you'd find his sonar abilities to be most useful however. Given Conduit's high mass, probable descent rate and the composition of the ocean bottom in the area your group's post have indicate, it is most likely your team mate is mired in the bottom rather than resting on it. Fifteen to twenty-two feet into the bottom to be exact and dropping approximately 1.2328 inches per day.

All of the preceding assumes Conduit wishes to be found. After all, he has the ability for self propelled flight to off-set his mass therefore he wouldn't find it necessary to walk out of the ocean.

As I recall, Conduit's ground bound. He needed Amped to carry him to Tokyo the last time they went.

So, you're most likely correct that he's stuck, sinking into the goop on the ocean floor. Unless he's developed a new locomotive ability.

Incorrect. A more careful review of the data will conclusively demonstrate his ability to utilize his inherently high energy potential to perform feats of electro-magnetic levitation. Self-propelled flight by another name.

In the instance cited, Conduit likely found his top speed unsatisfactory for long distances, and perhaps was uncomfortable using the Earth's magnetic field as a balancing source. You will note that pictures of him in flight are nearly always taken near power distribution equipment.

What about a Psi-Tracker? A potent enough telepath might be able to locate Conduit's though patterns. Based on Psimon's assesment of the preliminary search radius, and with the help of people who know the guy, it really shouldn't be that hard to make some sort of mental contact.

Provided the telepath has some trace of the signature to look for, and that Conduit is not in a state of deep repose or other altered mental state. I recall an instance wherein a peer mistook a sleeping nova for a cat while conducting a psychic reconnaissance, much to their later detriment.

All ideas duly noted.

As far as I know, Long and Typhoon are in on this little rescue mission.

I did think of looking using a Magnetic Anomaly Detection sensor, but you're looking at an object 1.6 meters in height down about 2 miles and quite possibly hidden under a good meter or 2 of silt by now. If he's in the water.

You know... that is something to consider too... What if after the fight he left to heal somewhere quiet.

Crap, if that's it, he is probably avoiding me. But then again, he would have told me he's alright by now...

In any case, I'm looking and so is everyone else. I will let everyone know if something does come up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako Endeavor Hino:
I did think of looking using a Magnetic Anomaly Detection sensor, but you're looking at an object 1.6 meters in height down about 2 miles and quite possibly hidden under a good meter or 2 of silt by now. If he's in the water.does come up.
Procrastination is rarely a useful skill in critical thinking or decision making.

Build the device then use Typhoon to carry it at a nominal distance of 50 to 100 meters above the bottom of the ocean, trailing it behind him so that his own quantum faux titanium form does not cause it to register false positive responses. You will have negated the "2 miles down" and the silt is irrelevant unless its comprised of a high ferrous content although I believe you're look at 3 - 4 meters of it rather than 2. Using the telemetry feeds cross referenced to a GPS system for the location of the anomalies will provide a suitable means to record probable sites.

Hm. I'll get on that. Then again, this still is a needle in a haystack. Think of it like this. Ever think of how big the Pacific is and how small Conduit is?

Even since we can narrow down the area of where he possibly went down, it'd take a bit to find him. I'm leaving no stone unturned when we start scanning.

The size of the Pacific Ocean relative to the size of Conduit is irrelevant to the task you've chosen for yourself as we've already ascertained. He is either within the search area or he is not. If he is, then he may require your assistance. If he is not, then he is not in need of your assistance and you may go on with your life knowing you will have behaved responsibly and achieved closure.

At this point self doubt and procrastination serve no purpose except that of delaying the completion of the task.

Archived