Aberrant RPG - Read this....

Ruckus

I found this on the web looking if anyone had put up a d20 aberrant site.

Its a story of what can go wrong with the Permanent Vacation scenario in the back of the storytellers screen.

Whether you agree with it or not you'll laugh your ass off....

Around this time last year I had a hankering to try a bit of GMing. But being both busy and lazy, I wanted something I could run using purchased scenarios only, and so - rather stupidly - I picked Aberrant, from White Wolf.

Not that there's anything wrong with the game system. It's a great game. It's just that the scenarios leave a little to be desired, although that wasn't immediately apparent. I'd bought "Aberrant Worldwide (Phase I: A Worldwide Sourcebook for Aberrant)" which, contrary to what the title might imply, was a mini-campaign consisting of four linked scenarios. I also had the booklet which came with the Storyteller's Screen, which consisted of another mini-campaign, with three linked scenarios. A campaign wasn't what I was expecting from a GM's screen, but I wasn't going to complain.

It seemed I had an abundance of scenarios. Considering we only do sessions of two or three hours, once a week, and we take it in turns to GM, seven scenarios could take care of my GMing duties for a year or more.

Oh sucker that I was...

Now I should warn you at this point that the rest of this article contains some spoilers to the scenario concerned, although given the vacuous nature of said scenario, I'm not sure what facts there are to give away. But you've been warned, so if you're an Aberrant player, now would be a good time to piss off.

The Player Characters

Before we continue, I ought to take some time to briefly outline the various factions that Aberrant PCs can belong to. Aberrant is a game of superpowered people, set in the new future of a world similar to our own. It's not really a superhero game. Instead, it tries to create a world as ours would be, if ordinary people started to develop extraordinary powers.

Most of the supers - called Novas in the gameworld - are affiliated with an organisation called Project Utopia, a benevolent body which aims to harness the powers of Novas to make the world better for all, Nova and non-Nova alike. But a faction of Nova's called the Teragen believe that they are a new superior form of humanity, and as such should not be bound by human laws or society. These are the two major factions, but there are two additional factions still largely unknown to the outside world.

Project Proteus is the secret, black-ops, dirty warfare section of Project Utopia. (Of course, the fact that it exists rather challenges the peaceful, benevolent nature of Project Utopia).

Finally, there is the newest faction, the Aberrants. These Novas were previously affiliated to Utopia, and still strongly reject the racist philosophies of the Terragen. But they've started to learn of the darkness that lies at the heart of Utopia, and are trying to uncover the truth.

Now, from that brief summary, you can hopefully appreciate that the four factions are diametrically opposed both in aims and beliefs. However, this is a fact that appears not to worry the scenario writers at White Wolf, for the blurb on the back of the Superviser's Screen campaign book cheerfully proclaims: "...enables players to jump into the action as Aberrants, Utopians or agents of the sinister Project Proteus."

If that wasn't enough of a challenge, inside the book it adds: "It's not impossible to bring unaffiliated or even Teragen characters into the plot."

Let's think about this for a moment. Imagine you were a professional RPG author being asked to write a scenario to be published for a World War II RPG.

Imagine this was the brief:

"The scenario will be set in occupied France. It should be suitable for player character groups who are from any of the following organisations: British Special Operations Executive, De Gaulle Resistance, Communist Resistance, the Gestapo."

You might say that would be a bit tricky. I'd say it would be damn near impossible. But that's the task that the White Wolf writers had set themselves.

Now I was unsure which faction the PCs should belong to. (They obviously had to belong to the same faction or it would be a very short, violent campaign). So, I thought that perhaps it be best that they be unaffiliated, or perhaps very loosely affiliated with Utopia.

I thought this would give me the best of all worlds, with much future freedom of movement. In fact, it was the worst of all worlds, since I had no hooks to motivate the PCs. In the end, the theme we came up with was that the PCs would be members of a security consultancy called, with stunning originality, "the Consultancy".

So what characters did the players come up with?

Well at this point in time, a year or so later, I can't remember many details, but here goes:

Bog Boy: Bog Boy invariably plays female characters, but I have a ban on this kind of questionable practise, so he instead played a smooth-talking bloke in a suit called Dual. With the power to shapechange. Which meant that he spent most of his time in the guise of a women. Which was fine, because in this case the slightly "urrrgh" feeling this aroused was absolutely what you would feel when you just found out that the cute brunette you just spend fifteen minutes chatting up was - in fact - your boss.

Bubba: I can't remember anything about Bubba's character except for his name, Mr Jones, and the fact that he was supposed (according to his statistics) to be incredibly charismatic, but as he was played, wasn't. (Actually, he has now informed me that the character's main power was to pass as a "nobody" whom no-one noticed, which I guess he succeeded in doing, since no-one did).

Demonic: A nice friendly chap by the name of Ebola, who had two main powers. The first was Disintegrate, an invisible beam which melts and corrodes the victims flesh, and was described in the rulebook as a "terrifying power". The second power was Invisibility. I think you begin to realise just quite what a sick fuck Ebola was.

Mark: Some bloke called Blackout who was largely unremarkable save for his ability to turn into a shadow and hide on the ceilings of rooms.

Evil G: Some ex-army bloke called Brand. Didn't say much. Didn't do much. (Except get ripped off by a Spanish taxi driver, who charged him 500 Euros for a two-hundred metre drive).

And so play began, and I encountered my first problem: the scenario's layout, which consisted of eleven pages, loosely divided into three sections.

The first section served as an introduction to the location, combined with a plot summary. The second section laid out the timeline of the scenario, divided into four parts, one for each of the three days, followed by a conclusion. Finally, there was a section describing each of the major NPCs.

The problem with this layout was with the way it scattered information. For instance, information about one of the major locations, a nightclub, was spread through the introduction, the section on the first day, the section on the second day, and in the writeup of one the characters. I'd end up saying to a player: "Hang on a mo", whilst I desperately flipped through the book looking for an answer to his question, which I was sure I'd read somewhere, but couldn't remember where.

(This is a particular problem if, like me, you're a lazy GM who can't be bothered to memorise the entire scenario in advance, and tries to wing it on the basis of one read-through).

But undaunted, I plunged in.

This first scenario took my dysfunctional group of PCs to the island of Ibiza, which in the Aberrant universe is a typical hangout for Novas. A female Nova, in possession of information potentially revealing the truth about Utopia had been assassinated. They were being employed by an anonymous client, to find her, and get the data.

The basic facts of the case were these:

Charlotte Holden had been staying with her friend Andy "Ironskin" Vance, and his husband, Jake "Dragon" Korelli. (Yes, you did hear that right).

Now, I guess that by putting in a couple of gay Novas as main NPCs, White Wolf were probably trying to achieve two things: a) Emphasise that the world of 2008 had moved on from where we are today; and B) Make a positive statement on behalf of gay rights.

Nice idea, and I expect when you're sitting round a table in a meeting room it plays great. But when you're sitting round a table in someone's living room, and it's ten O'Clock at night, twentysomething blokes quickly revert to sniggering twelve-year olds, and it all goes to hell. If there'd been women present I'm sure they'd have stayed mature, but there weren't, and they didn't.

It wasn't too bad at first. They found out the gay angle pretty quickly when they did a bit of net surfing for info on Vance, and found a transcript of an interview he'd done. (I read a piece out of the scenario book at this point). I say "they found out", but Demonic for one was still pretty confused.

This was despite the fact that the transcript contained the following section (in response to a female phone-in caller enquiring if Andy had ever "given girls a real, you know, try?"):

Andy: "To be honest, I can't say that I have tried them, Amy, but I can't say I have any real inclination to do so, either. My partner, Jake "The Dragon" Korelli and I just celebrated our second anniversary last month, and we're pretty happy together. Thanks for your interest, though."

After I finished reading that, Demonic said: "Is it me, or is that a bloke a bit gay?"

At that point, I and the other guys, pointed out in somewhat blunt terms that, yes, that bloke was "a bit gay". But like I said, it was still okay at this point. I could no longer claim that we were walking the surface of planet serious, but we were in a reasonably, stable orbit.

(I was discussing this whole episode with one of the players just the other day, and he said that he found "Ironskin" to be an unfortunate choice of name, given that "iron" is cockney rhyming for a gay man. I was unaware of this, but it might explain why the others found it difficult to stay serious.)

Now, as I was saying, Charlotte had been staying with Andy and his husband Jake. But, a few days before the scenario's start she'd been killed by a car bomb. Andy, who was in the car with her at the time, escaped unhurt, due to his "iron skin".

[FINAL SPOILER ALERT... stop reading now if you don't want to find out stuff. Seriously, I'm not pissing about here]

SPOILER: There were only two facts to be deduced in the entire scenario.

The first of these was that Charlotte had faked her own death. This wasn't that hard to figure out, given the fact that the blast had apparently been huge enough to vaporise her, leaving no trace, but not so huge that it had killed any of the many bystanders.

The second fact was - of course - where she currently was. The PCs correctly deduced that Andy had helped her fake her death, but then they made a fatal mistake.

They assumed that the scenario contained some "method" by which they could obtain this second fact.

It was a reasonable thing to think, but they were very, very wrong.

This is what the situation was. Charlotte Holden was in possession of information damaging to Project Utopia, which meant that Proteus was after her. To avoid capture, she faked her death and fled. She was helped in this by her friend Andy, and by the leader of the Terragen, a bloke by the name of Orzaiz (who was hanging around in Ibiza at the time... as you do). Meanwhile, a Proteus Nova assassin was in Ibiza on her trail.

There was only one method outlined in the scenario by which the PCs could find out where she had gone. (Actually, there was an emergency backup method which you could use, but I'll get to that later).

This "method" didn't involve clues, deduction, detective work or anything similar. The "method" was as follows:

If Andy Vance:

a) Got sufficiently worried about the Proteus assassin and wanted someone to go after Charlotte to protect her; and

B) Thought that the PCs were generally all around good guys,

he would tell them where she had gone so that they could go and protect her.

That's it. That's the scenario. Except that there is a three-day timeline. So the basic way to do this scenario is:

a) Each night go to the Nova-only nightclub where Andy is Head of Security, and generally suck up to him. (That's "suck up" not "suck off", he's married, remember?)

B) Spend the days on the beach building up your sun-tans and generally trying to avoid getting into any trouble.

c) Whatever you do, don't piss off Andy.

Unfortunately my PCs decided not to spend their days on the beach, and their nights sucking up to Andy. They decided to hunt for items of information they termed "clues" in a effort to "solve" the case.

Right idea. Wrong scenario.

Their first action was to go to the nightclub and walk around in shades, looking suspicious as hell, and pissing Andy off by asking him loads of questions.

Since they were doing nothing, I decided to throw in one of the possible encounters that the scenario offered, which was to have a PC get approached by a recruiter for a Nova security agency, who was hanging around the club looking for Novas to recruit. He approached Ebola (Demonic) and the conversation went something like:

(You should be aware at this point that when the PCs were offered the job, the lawyer who was representing the anonymous client told them that under no circumstances were they to discuss any aspect of the job with anyone else).

Recruiter: "Hi ya, you interested in work?"

Ebola: "No. I'm here working as it happens."

Recruiter: "Really? What are you doing?"

Ebola: "I'm with an organisation called the Consultancy. We're looking for Charlotte Holden. Do you know where she is?"

At which point the recruiter made his excuses and left, to make a phone call to his bosses to spread the gossip.

This was a bit of a problem for me, given that the premise of the scenario (the campaign in fact) was that the Consultancy were a shit-hot investigative outfit, when in fact they were a bunch of muppets. Highly dangerous muppets with an array of extraordinary powers, but muppets nevertheless.

I think I resolved this little encounter by having Dual flown back to the US the next morning for a lunchtime meeting with the lawyer at which he was soundly bollocked for Ebola's fuck-up, and told that if they screwed up again they were sacked.

There then followed a breakfast meeting with Andy where they pissed him off some more.

Oh, and on the way they managed to piss me off by establishing that, not only did they understand the Aberrant rules more than me, they knew more about the setting too. (I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to reading gamebooks, so the minor fact that Novas don't require sleep had somehow passed me by).

So, having made no progress, and still operating under the misapprehension that there were some "clues" they could discover, they decided to do a little snooping around.

They decided to break into Andy's house.

It was decided that the break-in would be conducted by Dual and Blackout (Bog Boy and Mark) whilst Ebola (Demonic) stayed outside the house in reserve. Meanwhile, Mr Jones (Bubba) and Brand (Evil G) stayed back at the hotel, for reasons that I now can't recall, but were probably related to Bog Boy's fear that they would fuck things up if allowed to participate.

They watched Andy set off to work, waited for darkness to settle, then entered via a kitchen window, disabling the security system on the way. Korelli (the husband) was in the living room, so they headed on down the passageway, up the stairs and into one of the bedrooms.

(I was of course having to make up the layout of the house on the fly, since the scenario didn't even include floorplans of the places the PCs were *supposed* to visit, let alone Andy's house).

Now, at this point, as they started to rifle through the room, I, as the GM, was in a bit of a dilemma. I could just let them find obvious evidence that Charlotte had in fact stayed in the guest room the previous night, which would be a bit of a surprise if you subscribed to the generally accepted view that she'd been blown to shit three days previously. I could have just let them found the evidence, and left it at that.

But that seemed a bit too easy. Not that I'm some kind of sadistic GM you understand. It's just that I think it would have seemed too easy to the players. Also, I didn't want them to think they could just go around breaking into people's houses without any possibility of things going wrong.

Then I had a brainwave. I thought of a way in which I could give them a subtle clue that she had only just left, but also give them a bit of a fright. Think about it. Charlotte had been staying in the guest room just that very morning. And what do you do after someone who's been staying in your guest room leaves?

You wash the bedsheets, so they'll be clean for the next guest who comes calling.

Would Jake have done them immediately? No. He was with Andy. He'd have waited until Andy went to work, and then - having some spare time - would decide to do the laundry.

That was my brainwave. I'm telling you now that this was what I thought up. But the players insist to this day that I'm lying. They insist that the laundry thing was something I thought up a few minutes later (don't worry, I'll explain when we get there) and that I then tried to make out I'd thought of it earlier.

But let's continue.

As the players rifled through the room in search of clues, I told them that they could hear Korelli walking up the stairs. I thought they'd do something - like hide for instance - but they did nothing.

So I told them that Korelli had gone into the bathroom (I figured that him and Andy would keep the laundry basket in the bathroom) and they still did nothing.

I told them that they could hear tinkling, splashing sounds from the bathroom (I figured Korelli needed a piss first).

"Standing up sounds, or sitting down sounds?" asking Bubba, ignoring the fact that he wasn't there.

There then ensued the first of the evening's "homophobia" discussions, as the various parties around the table accused other parties of holding unsound views on the subject of homosexuality, and the accused parties vigorously defended themselves.

In this particular incident, the case for the prosecution was that Bubba had been asking a "joke question" about whether Korelli was pissing standing up (like a man) or sitting down (like a women).

The case for the defence (put most vigorously by Bubba) was that he was asking whether Jake was taking a piss, or a crap (e.g. sitting down splashes), since that had a bearing on how long he was liable to be in the bog.

Actually, I do believe him, since he really isn't prejudiced, but at the time everyone had a great time attacking him. Of course, this didn't do much for the serious conduct of my game, but eventually, after several minutes, we managed to get things back on track. Ish.

Then I told them that the splashing had stopped and asked them what they wanted to do.

Nothing was the answer. I was getting a bit non-plussed by now.

So I told them that they could now see that the bedroom door was being pushed open.

Now they seemed to realise that something was happening. Blackout turned into a shadow in the ceiling corner about the doorway.

Dual shapechanged into a pillow.

A second before Korelli entered the room holding a wicker laundry basket.

What then ensued was the second of the evenings "vigorous discussions" as the assorted players accused me - the GM - of cheating. Their view was that I had spitefully thought up the laundry basket purely to shaft Bog Boy (i.e. that I only decided Korelli was carrying a laundry basket after Dual transformed himself into an item of laundry).

My defence against this accusation was that I can't actually think that fast. They still don't believe me.

So now we have a slightly awkward situation. Dual is shapechanged into an additional pillow. Korelli has come to strip all the laundry off the bed. The players think I'm cheating, and I think they're taking the piss.

Now you have to remember that this was our first game of Aberrant, and we were still feeling our way through the rules. So, we hadn't yet had a chance to establish a house rule on how to do a "spot suspicious extra pillow" roll.

Cue five minutes of arguing, which included discussions about whether gay men might be more houseproud, and therefore more likely to notice that extra laundry had appeared.

Eventually, a consensus was reached on how I could roll to see if Korelli managed to notice that there were now *three* pillows. I rolled. Amazingly, it had not occurred to him that there was now an extra pillow.

But we weren't out of the woods yet.

Because what do you do when you strip the bed? You take the pillowcases off the pillows, one by one.

I made a roll to see which pillow he would strip first... and it was Dual.

Cue five more minutes of arguing.

What we were arguing about now, was precisely what would happen to Dual when Korelli attempted to separate the "pillowcase" from the "pillow". Bog Boy was still sulking about the whole laundry basket thing at this point, so he was mostly a silent partner in the discussion, but the rest of us tried to work something out.

Eventually, one of us - can't remember who - clicked on the perfect solution, involving a piece of equipment that Aberrant characters can possess, called a Eufiber suit.

(When I say "can", I do of course mean *all*. The background might say that some Novas wear them, but you aren't going to find many PCs without one.)

The Eufiber suit (which you "buy" at character creation with background points) has two very useful features:

a) You can mentally change its shape and appearance (which is obviously highly useful to a shapechanger like Dual).

B) It soaks up damage rather effectively.

Our solution was this: Simply say that Dual was the "pillow" and that his Eufiber suit was the "pillowcase". So Korelli could simply remove the pillow case, put it in the laundry basket with the rest of the bedding, then go back downstairs - leaving the pillow (a.k.a. Dual) behind.

It was a good solution.

And it was totally unacceptable to Dual.

"Bollocks! I'm not losing my Eufiber suit!" he proclaimed. "I'll just say that the pillowcase is my finger."

I pointed out that this meant that when Korelli removed the "pillow case" he, Dual, would have his finger ripped off.

"That's all right!" he declared. "I've got regeneration, I'll grow it back."

Cue more discussion.

Eventually Bog Boy shortcutted all the discussions by announcing that he was shapechanging into: "a really horrible nightmare looking monster". Under normal circumstances I would have said that the shapechage power required him to be a bit more specific, but I think we all wanted to get the action out of the bedroom.

So he shapechanged, Korelli - who to be fair must have been slightly shocked at his pillow turning into a monster - fumbled his fear roll and therefore bricked it, Blackout dropped down from his hiding place, and they both piled down the stairs followed closely by a now somewhat upset Korelli.

Blackout reached the kitchen window first, and dived out headfirst onto the lawn. Dual attempted to follow him, but was grabbed by the chasing Korelli, who then proceeded to give him a bit of a slapping.

Now do you remember when I said that we were still a bit hazy on the rules, and that I knew even less than the players? Well, at this point we started to discuss just how the combat rules worked. The two options on the table were:

a) Bog Boy's understanding: Roll to attack. Every success (7 or over on a D10) you get over the amount you needed (which I think was one) counts as an automatic level of damage. Then you roll your damage, and the number of successes you get there counts as additional level of damage.

B) My understanding: Every extra success you get on your attack roll gives you an extra dice to roll on your damage roll. Then every success on the damage rolls counts as a level of damage.

As you can see, Bog Boy's method would results in much more damage being done per attack than mine (probably more than twice as much). A week or so later, when we properly read the rules, we realised that I was right, and he was wrong, but on this occasion I deferred to him (the rules expert) and we used his damage rules.

Which were bloody deadly.

Korelli basically gave him one hard punch, and it took him though unconsciousness and into a near-death coma. I was a bit perturbed by this, because although Korelli was supposed to be hard, so was Dual. What kind of superhero system was this?

It was at this point, with Blackout lying on the grass, and the comatose Dual being carried back into the house by Korelli, that Ebola decided that the time had come for him to get involved.

I should point out that at this point there was a fair amount of hysteria going on amongst the players as to what Korelli might do to Dual. I did try to point out that Korelli was actually a "good guy" and was probably at this moment calling for an ambulance... (and police, after all Dual was an illegal intruder) but they seemed to be locked into some kind of group victim mentality, and were having none of it.

They seemed to think that Dual was in some kind of terrible danger (there might have been some references to Korelli's sexual orientation at this point).

So Ebola, invisibly, entered the building, knocked on the living room door, waited until Korelli opened it, and then dakked* him with his disintegrate power.

(* "Dak" is our groups slang for a ranged energy attack, usually accompanied by a chant of "Dak! Dak! Dak!", and inspired by the film Mars Attacks!)

Now you have to remember two things at this point:

a) Disintegrate is a pretty heinous power which litterally melts the victim's flesh.

B) We'd misunderstood the damage rules, and as a result combat was two to three times deadlier than it should be.

Ebola didn't actually leave Korelli dead, but the poor bastard was terribly fucked up.

I think maimed was the expression we used.

Plan B

Do you remember earlier in this piece, when I was talking about the only way for the players to solve the scenario, I mentioned that there was actually an emergency Plan B for the GM to use?

Well, since Plan A was to suck up to Andy, and the PCs had just maimed his boyfriend for life, I figured it was time to fall back on Plan B.

What was Plan B? Well it was similar to Plan A, in that involved someone who knew where Charlotte was, simply giving this information to the PCs because he thought that they were all round good guys. In this case, the person was Orzaiz, leader of the Terragen (if you've forgotten my primer at the start of this piece, they're the racist Nova-supremacist terrorist types).

Now the heroes had already met Orzaiz earlier on the first evening. Mr Jones (Bubba) had been invited by Orzaiz to sit at his table, where for two hours he had said damn all, and then left abruptly. Apparently he wanted Orzaiz to think he was just another dumb, arrogant prick of a Nova.

No, we didn't understand either.

Plan B involved a Proteus assassin, disguised as Orzaiz, killing Orzaiz's assistant, after tricking her into revealing Charlotte's location. Basically, the PCs would see Orzaiz following the woman into the toilet. At this point the scenario considered it could go too ways, depending on whether the PCs follow Orzaiz into the bog:

Outcome 1

One or more of the PCs follow Orzaiz into the bog, where they see him reveal himself to be the assassin, brutally murder the woman, then attempt to leave by busting a hole through the wall. They (the PCs) attempt to stop the assassin. Although they (presumably) fail, the real Orzaiz is so:

a) Worried about Charlotte; and

B) Angry about the murder; and

c) So impressed with what really cool, together guys the PCs are,

that he tells them where Charlotte is.

Outcome 2

The PCs (who in this outcome didn't follow "Orzaiz") see some other women (who happened to be in the bog when the killing took place) come out of the loos screaming. They enthusiastically investigate, attempt to stop the assassin, etc. etc.

What Actually Happened

Ebola (Demonic) was a bit curious about why Orzaiz was going to the bog, so he followed him in (having turned invisible). He then just stood back and watched "Orzaiz" transform into the assassin, and brutally slaughter the woman (think of the liquid metal geezer from Terminator II).

But he didn't think he should "get involved", so while the assassin smashed his way through the wall and escaped, Ebola just went back to his seat and said nothing.

At this point I figured my scenario was basically clinically dead, so it was time to whack the voltage up to max, shout "clear" and give it (the scenario) a couple of thousand volts through the chest.

To be honest, I can't remember exactly what happened in the next few minutes. I think I've repressed the memory. I think I fell back on the second outcome recommended by the books, which was to have two women come out screaming having found the body (except if Ebola hadn't gone in they would have come out as the murder was happening, not a few minutes later).

The PCs did a bit of skulking around outside to see if they could spot anything, but discretely, so no-one knew they were doing anything.

(At this point I figured the scenario was flat-lined and it was time to call the time of death).

Then Dual (Bog Boy) wondered over to Orzaiz and said a few words that could, if viewed in an extremely generous light, be viewed as comforting words of sympathy and support.

I thought to myself:

Dual's only saying what anyone would say...

Orzaiz thinks they're all a bunch of dickheads...

He doesn't know them from Adam, they could be Utopia, they might be Proteus, they certainly aren't his Terragen...

There is no reason, absolutely, on this whole wide world why he would tell them where Charlotte Holden was...

He told them.

What else could I do?

taken from the Critical Miss Website

http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue7/index.html

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the superhero genre ...

Trusting the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club (Selene) over Professor X, even though, amongs other things, there was overwhelming evidence she had killed his parents and tried to kill his sister, had sent him into a suicidal situation, revealed to him that she was a psychic vampire, revealed to him that she had willingly transformed herself into a psychic vampire, and that she took great pleasure in not only draining the life out of people, but took even more pleasure out of draining mutants ... especially mutants like his sister ...

Maybe not the biggest, but it does still stand out in my mind as one of those events were I had to ask myself "am I giving him enough clues that she is EVIL?" and another player turned to me and said, "why doesn't he realize she is evil?" right about the same time.

Never ever let your players forget where they are.

I had a 4-color Champions series( this was college 1994 before good superhero RPGs came out- too many numbers!!!!!!). My team of players were on a moonbase that was in fact a jail for some of the worst criminals in the world. There had been no communication with the base so they had sent a group of government supers to investigate.

They had with them a character (I think his name was Blowback) that had a god awfully powerful explosive energy blast and the rest of the team had little else in the way of being protected from the environment. The entire team thought of there being some sort of jail break when in actuality an alien horde invaded the base and had siphoned of the life of the guards. Irronically, the cells that housed the criminals was also protecting them; the Aliens would eventually get through but it would take time.

Despite *every* hint i could throw that it seemed that the jail was still in lock down and it might be a good idea to keep on the space suits only 2 kept them on. The rest expecting a superbattle wanted more mobility.

I thought to point out that maybe something more was going on that i would show one of them one of the creatures in a non-combat arena. So as they walked from the landing bay to the main complex through a 10 foot wide transparent tunnel i pointed out that a creature *on* the lunar surface about 100 meters away was observing them.

Before the leader could ask any thing of me or any players, Blowback rolls his dice and announces that hes goiing to fire through the godawful- explosive energy blast at the creature. I pointed out that this was a relatively confined tube *on* the moon. I looked from player to player for someone to state the obvious, no one bit. Everyone agreed that they could fly or use other powers or use one of the other players to help them. I even fudged the first die roll ensuring that:

A: the tube didnt completely give way and

B: the explosive energy blast didnt injure the team standing only maybe at max 10 feet away.

I even made a point of just putting a crack in the plexiglass to emphasize that there was a hiss of escaping air.

To no avail.

Blowout undaunted fired again this time pushing his powers up a notch and faster than you can say explosive decompression; "spaced" himself and all but two members of his team.

The two suited player had no powers that were of any use in getting the characters back inside. Even not allowing for the instant death of what is in effect dry cleaning ones lungs.

ironically it led to a more interesting version with some of the criminals along with the heroes getting off the base.

Generally,

All of the gaming supplements for Aberrant are VERY open-ended. Much of the conspiracies read like a conspiracy theory: it could be true, or not. WHITE WOLF is a BAD system to use for pre-packaged gaming. AD&D are better for their pre-packaged agmes. although, as Ive stated before: I hate pre-packaged games