[OpNet] (PUB) 8-17-2014: Question that needs answering.

Sakurako Hino

Sakurako.gif

Mood: Confused

Question for the philosopher types...

If a Nova does a good deed, just out of the kindness of their heart, does that make you some sort of sentimentalist or wannabe superhero? Or perhaps it's a higher form of concience?

Sorry, just dealing with some questions in my head. Perhaps you guys could figure it out.

But I am not a human, Liam. I am a Nova.

I have recently come to the conlusion that alot of Novas find Humans completely under their notice...

*sigh*

I tend to view myself as more of an evolved being spiritually and physically. Although mostly mentally. But I do feel that showing such higher traits such as charity, mercy, caring, that should be what a higher being should posess and show to others.

So Endeavor, you are not human becuase a small lump of grey mater in your head? You are not human because your can do things others can't?Are those who supper from mental illness not human? Or those who can't walk? Are they not human? they are not as capable of things normal poeple do evryday. As if out gifts make us not human, then their flaws do as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako Hino:

If a Nova does a good deed, just out of the kindness of their heart, does that make you some sort of sentimentalist or wannabe superhero? Or perhaps it's a higher form of concience?
It makes you neither.

It means you have performed a single act of kindness, and that is all it means. Do not embellish a single act with destiny-making or destiny-shattering proportions.

Yeah, perhaps I am just blowing the question out of proportion.

And Signy, I am no longer human. I do things, that are impossible to any extent of human achievment.

By gaining this node, I have become more than, if not in a whole new league far from, Human.

To call me Human, would be like downgrading the Human race to the level of a Gorilla.

I'm no longer ashamed on admitting the fact that I'm no longer what I was. I'm darn happy for it. I may be part of the same "family tree" as our progenitors, but, we're stuck with this, we might as well deal with it as best we can.

Sakurako, you are more narrow minded than you wish to admit. You do not look into the past to see that the scope of human achievements have changed many times. Your node does not change you, but it changes the scope of human achievements. But then again you most likely will try to claim you are no longer human, in your typical angst ridden way.

My node hasn't changed me? You make me laugh. Serously.

Ever since I became a Nova my life has been completely changed. Irrecoveribly, even. I have also looked at my physiology. I no longer have the same blood chemistry, hormone levels, or the same chemicals running through my body.

I have been changed, Signy. Why can't other Novas admit that?

Change you say? You act, as humans can't change. You act as if what humans can do now is the limit of what they ever will achieve. Donors have used my blood. They are still the same people as they used to be. Miss Hino, you have changed, that doesn't mean you are not human.

I have changed many times in my life, bot5h before and after Novemeber, 18 1998. I used to think you could fix the world by sowing people the logical and reasonable way to help people. I used to think that people were narrow minded and greedy by their very basic gene structure. I no longer think this.

You look at novas and say we must be some mystical ideal. We must no longer be human. We have changed. Some of no longer look human, all of us can do things that humans can’t. Child, if you based on the definition of human on a genetic level, we are human. If you say humans are human because the limits and boundaries of what hey can do, then you should look into history. People break records all the time. People do the impossible on daily bases. You may see these things if didn’t you have your head rapped up into yourself. So, go forth and define what it means to be human on half-truth and blind spots. Go forth but remember that you were born of a human mother and father, also that humans can use your blood, and chances are you could have children with them. I did, I had three children.

So tell me how are you not human? You have a lump in your head that lets you alter the flow of Quantum?

Quote:
Sakurako Hino: If a Nova does a good deed, just out of the kindness of their heart, does that make you some sort of sentimentalist or wannabe superhero? Or perhaps it's a higher form of concience?
Quote:
Ashnod: It makes you neither.

It means you have performed a single act of kindness, and that is all it means. Do not embellish a single act with destiny-making or destiny-shattering proportions.
Agreed.

And Sakurako, what it means to be human has changed a lot since we came down from the trees. It will change again.

We used to claim that the color of someone's skin was something to divide us. In the future, it isn't all that hard to imagine parts of mankind choosing to be cyborgs, or to undergo massive bio-engineering, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Signy Malory:
You have a lump in your head that lets you alter the flow of Quantum?
I also have a lump in my head that gives me sentience and reasoning. I kind agree with the idea if not the reasoning but isn't it like calling the moon a big rock?

I have to ask if your question is answered by having a node or by what you do with it.

Signy, we come from two completely different ends of the spectrum.

But from what I'm seeing from your post, you're really saying I try to hold myself to a higher ideal I'm struggling to attain.

I guess that's something that makes me fallible. It's what everything has to deal with.

What's wrong with setting a higher ideal for yourself? To at the very least try just to be a little better? Not perfect, no, God's perfect. I just wish to be better than my ancestors.

And Doc, you do have a valid point. But then again, Bio-Engineering and Cybernetics don't come with you out of the womb. Being "latent" then becoming a Nova has to have been written in our genome at birth. That's what makes your point moot.

Quote:

And Doc, you do have a valid point. But then again, Bio-Engineering and Cybernetics don't come with you out of the womb. Being "latent" then becoming a Nova has to have been written in our genome at birth. That's what makes your point moot.
You are impressing me, Sakura-chan. It is refreshing to see such growth in you.

Quote:
Signy, we come from two completely different ends of the spectrum.

But from what I'm seeing from your post, you're really saying I try to hold myself to a higher ideal I'm struggling to attain.

I guess that's something that makes me fallible. It's what everything has to deal with.

What's wrong with setting a higher ideal for yourself? To at the very least try just to be a little better? Not perfect, no, God's perfect. I just wish to be better than my ancestors.

You missed my point.

And genetic and bio-engineering is most cost effective and causes least amount of problem wile done in the "womb".

Well, untill I can find an old blood sample of mine pre-eruption, and compare it to my genes now, we won't know for sure. Unfortunately, all I can get my hands on are post-eruption samples, and the blood out my own veins. Many pre-eruption samples I could check out had been destroyed through age, and use for tests for baseline diseases back when I was not a Nova. So unless I've committed some crime in my past where there is a non-erupted DNA sample I can check, I'm out of luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
If you were anyone else I'd say there was no way you could have a different DNA now than before. However, your mom was a high tech nova brain, right? That means she had access to all sorts of stuff. Do you remember any tests or experiments from when you were younger?
Before my eruption, I was "Beneath my mother's notice" as it were.

And while Japan did sample DNA, I haven't been able to find said samples. I stirred the hornet's nest enough to get some people looking into it, but otherwise, no dice.

I believe that the growth of a node simply represents the appearance of a latent trait - not new genetic coding. This isn't really all that uncommon. Take hereditary diabetes - if you have the genes, you may or may not actually develop the condition, and there is no genetic change if you do develop the condition.

There have been cases of novas whose DNA changes before or after eruption, but this is an individual change - sometimes linked to physical 'aberrations.' I think that there were one or two examples of that mentioned way back in Widget's thread on taint.

"Yet I still can get that nagging feeling of being different."

Makes sense. Think about it: every one of us is constantly evolving in a totally unique direction. We are 'different' in ways that humans can't even touch. Genetic modification is actually rather simplistic in the face of, say, transforming into sentient energy.

Archived