[OpNet] Stupid money.

Wakinyan

I realized today how silly it must look for me to be paying for something with money. I am so far outside that system anymore it feels like I am going through the motions for someone elses sake other than mine.

Why do I even bother?

I am going home next week and I think I am going to give all my account and money to the Tribe. If I want something they should give it to me. It's not a matter of greed it is because they should know better.

You don't make a Tornado pay for what it has done. You don't charge the sun a toll for rising in the morning.

Neither the tornado or the Sun is a sentiant being that can relate to us and we can relate to.

If you look at money as merely a function of work and services, and not an end unto itself, it may help.

When you take, you are taking the efforts of someone getting up and working all day so that they can feed their dependants.

If you want something from somebody and they refuse to give it to you, what then?

To them, it may very well mean their life and livelyhood. To you, what is it worth?

Do you really want to become an extortionist and thief?

You are a very smart man Mr. Preston but you miss the point. Sentience does not always dictate one's role. The Sun rises and that is what it does. The tornado is destruction, no one questions that or tells the tornado to seek another path.

Do I wish to steal? No. Do I wish to extort? That needs more definition.

But I do have to wonder if there is another way. Bartering for services rendered and such. I don't think I want to accept money as payment anymore.

Besides how can money be really of any worth to use when most of us can generate huge amounts with generally little effort? I get paychecks for nothing more than what I LOOK like! Some of the brains among us use stock and money as nothing more than games to play. I just don't see Nova fitting into a human economy.

After seeing myself on Papparazi video paying for those Tshirts last week it just seems beneath me and I felt somewhat ashamed.

Quote:
Totem:But I do have to wonder if there is another way. Bartering for services rendered and such.
Money is better than barter.

Person "A" needs a pot and produces corn.
Person "B" needs a shoe and produces pots.
Person "C" needs corn and produces shoes.

With barter, none of these people can deal with each other. Sitting all of them down to deal with each other loses it's attraction when you have thousands of goods and not just three.

Granted, the system of money is subject to abuse, but barter is by far worse.

...and when I become a force of nature there are larger problems than just money.

Totem you're an idiot. If the BaseOs want to toss money on you letem! So what if it is just the way you look. So what if you feel silly giving a little plastic card over to pay for something. You want to live in their world play by their rules. They are easy to get around anyway.

I walk into a store with a buck. I grab as much as I want to buy and at the checkout I buy a instant lotto card that wins me enough money to pay for everything. THat's the way I play it. You gotta find the way you play it. I hope it doesn't include virgin sacrifices.

David 'Dr. Troll' Smith: ...and when I become a force of nature there are larger problems than just money.

Totem: I saw video of what happened in South America a few years back Doc. I think you are well past becoming one.

:P

I don't think I'll ever live that one down. frown

But even so, that kind of proves my point. Becoming something that primal costs a lot and IMHO you give up far more than you gain.

Archived