Aberrant RPG - John Kim's Aberrant Notes...

Has anyone read the notes John Kim made? I'm speaking in particular about the Aberrant/Trinity crossover and timeline stuff. He mentioned that it would be best to avoid this altogether. I mean, he does have a point that it is sort of a damper on play when one considers the fact that their Nova character will eventually be turned into a horrible monster, and so on. What are everyone else's feelings on this? Should we sort of ignore this facet or alter it? What have you all done in YOUR campaigns?

neXus

It doesn't bother me at all. Your character is going to die at some point in time, even if you play the game not linked with Trinity. Does that dampen your fun? It shouldn't. Aberrant is about characters from a certain time period, 1998-2050. You should have more than enough role playing possibilities from that time.

Remember that not all Novas become crazed monsters. Aeon does have a few working for it. There are some on Eden. And a lot of them that we don't know what happened to. Trinity paints a bad picture of them, but doesn't say that they are all evil monsters. The majority of Aberrants in Trinity time are followers of the Colony, who is supposedly an evil monster. Of course White Wolf does have a way of changing what you thought was the truth.

The metaplot is something you can use or throw away. I think both can be fun. It's usually just a matter of what everyone playing wants to do. I personally love Trinity, so in my main Aberrant game they will link up. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't run a few game that they don't.

Well, true, I agree it shouldn't hamper fun and is up to the ST and the players involved to what direction the campaign should follow.

What I have been thinking about is that there are those Novas with Mega-Stamina, typically, that have expanding life-spans than the normal human. It just makes me wonder what happens to them. I mean, I am sure that it could be used by Storytellers and so forth to throw into a campaign, or create a campaign out of a concept such as that. Do these Novas we know and love mutate, die off, escape, what? Would these Novas try to reinstate the former glory they once possessed, fight for Nova rights, whatever. I'm just curious, speculating.

Could kind of be a "fast-foward" of any present campaigns already present or entirely new. Then again, I'm pretty new here, and learning as I go too. Just throwing some thoughts out there. :-)

neXus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:
Do these Novas we know and love mutate, die off, escape, what?

Well, many things could happen. It is speculated that with the majority of novas leaving with Mal around 2068 (?), the effects of taint increase dramatically. This might force others off-world, to become taint-ridden monsters, or to dorm down and attempt living normal lives. Just an option, mind you.

Originally posted by Nexus:
Would these Novas try to reinstate the former glory they once possessed, fight for Nova rights, whatever. I'm just curious, speculating.

Novas could attempt to do such things, but remember that they would be subject to the same levels of public anger as, say a civil rights worker back in the Deep South around 1890. Aberrants (all novas are called aberrants by then) are the bad guys and everyone knows it (that is what all the media and authorities are saying and most people believe it).
Let's not even mention the various groups that what to keep aberrants off-world. The Doyen, the Proxies (you are a threat to their power, don't ya know), and the Aeon Society would all like you to go away. Any attempt to re-establish novas on earth should be extremely difficult. Also remember that the last time someone helped the aberrants, the Psi Orders wiped out the offending member. Tread with caution and you had better have a damn good plan going in.

Remember that not all of the Novas become Aberrants in the end. That means there is no reason to have an Aberrant group survive to 2120. Might even be intriguing as they end up in direct conflict with friends they have had for a century such as NPCs or some members of the group.

Aeon

------------------

My aim is to live forever, or die trying. So far so good. :-)

Archived