Aberrant RPG - 19 points left...

Ferret

So I'm making a new character for the next Aberrant game I'm in, and I'm at a bit of a quandry. We were given 40 nova points, and the following guidelines: Up to 9 points of flaws, no starting taint, can take Mastery 1 for one power. Now, I'm set up with Disrupt5 with multiple power and mastery 1, some M. attributes, and that's about it, leaving me with 19 Nova points left to spend. We're a combat-heavy game, so I need some effective defense. I would also like to get a few points in Quantum Leech, and maybe Deflect/reflect?

Anyway, I've seen you guys do some magic with the system before, and I'm interested in what you come up with. The basic character concept is a character who is largely immune to all other nova powers. He's going to be a bounty hunter/gunslinger. It ought to be quite fun to play. smile

Thanks for the help!

Ferret

Quantum Forgery. Lots of it. Possibly with the Total Forgery Extra. From the Teragen Book, p128. Either 4-5 points without the extra, 1-2 points with the extra.

Deflect/Redirect works, to a point - It's really up to the player as to whether D/R works better in character than Force Field. D/R has the problem, however, that only Ranged attacks are going to be deflected, and they won't always be. Force Field is blanket protection against everything.

Quantum Leech I'd hold back on, at least for the moment. Unless he's going to be Disrupting every damn nova he comes across, this character doesn't sound like he's going to slurp up the QP in a hurry (this may be wrong, I don't know your Precise Mega-Atts, but with the concept relying on tech rather than quantum powers...

Also, I'd recommend you looking at Invulnerability, especially with the Broad Category Extra. It's expensive, but at high levels, nothing short of Q6 mayhem will get through. You seem to be lacking Mental protection as well - Perhaps consider Psychic Shield, or even Invulnerability: Psychic Powers.

They would have to allow mastery without Quantum 6.

Just having a Quantum of 6 breaks the no starting Taint character creation rule.

For defensive purposes I would aim for a mixture of Force Field and Invisibility - High protection and 'if they can't see you they can't hit you'.

If your going for Deflect/Redirect I would advise at least a point or two of Mega-Dex to make it effective - you have to exceed the shooters successes for this to be truly effective.

Combine this with a couple of dots of Mega-Charisma (useful outside of combat) with the Dreadful Mien (mein?) enhancement.

Dreadful Mein reduces the number of successes/dice an opponent uses in his attacks, making it easier to use Deflect/Redirect to sort out that first attack.

This might be of interest to you.

I came up with a custom power for an NPC in my game who had a similar concept of being immune to other novas powers. Psi Dampening was what I called this custom power, has the same game mechanics as psyhcic shield but with the area of effect extra tagged on i.e. (quantum + power rating) x5 metres. In effect it extends psychic shield into the immediate area thus providing shielding for you and your team mates. It seemed considerably more powerful than the suggested extra for psychic shield, (one extra mind), so I deemed it a level 3 power, you might like to have a word with your storyteller/GM and see if they will allow something similar. Comes in dead handy for stopping enemy telepathic scans for your team mates I even ruled that it upped the difficulty for Nova's scanning with their node, being the Storyteller I could rule it that way, it was neccessary for the plot.

She also had Disrupt with the extra power Extra, the rationale for the character was that they erupted from exposure to Quantum Powers whilst being a journalist covering the 2007 Kashmir conflict. She was caught in the middle of a bunch of Novas slugging it out, hence the manifestation of powers in that particular way.

Just a general power gaming note that your PC's Disrupt power would be most effective with lots of mega-int so you may want to spend a few points there.

Can't Touch This

15 Density Decrease -5

3 Invulnerablity to Disrupt -1

1 Intuition -1

Very few attacks will be able to affect you. Will need to check with the ST that you can use Disrupt while intangable. Intuition should warn you of danger in time to activate DD. The Invulnerablity to Disrupt will help protect you from getting nailed by someone else with your signature attack ... plus it makes sense that your mastery of Disrupt would give you some sort of ablity to resist this power in general.

Quantum Tough

9 Mega Stamina -3 [Hardbody] (more dice for FF)

3 Armor -1

3 Force Field -1

3 Invisibility -1

1 Luck -1 or Stamina +3

Both Invisibility & Force Field are improved by high Quantum. At Q-6 they will be powerful with one dot. High Stamina + Mega Stamina + Armor will give you some resistance if you get caught with your FF down.

Soakman

3 Mega Stamina -1

5 Invulnerable to Physical Attacks -1

5 Invulnerable to Energy Attacks -1

3 Armor -1

3 Force Field -1

Lots of soak. Others could probably get you more but by starting with all these powers now you can easily buy new dots in them later for truely sick soak down the road.

• 5 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Kage.:
They would have to allow mastery without Quantum 6.

Just having a Quantum of 6 breaks the no starting Taint character creation rule.

Unless they are playing at a later date such as 2020 and they are Second-gen Novas (see Players Handbook p.65 & p.68

Oh, and if he took the Taint Resistant [5 point Merit] it would certainly justify why he was so powerful and yet so little Taint (or the character has been through chrysalis at least once or twice prior to the campain start and is just part of the character background wink )

• 1 month later...

I'll suggest this as a defensive tactic I came up with a few weeks ago:

Holo 3

Invisibility 3

The premise is that you create a Holo of your character, and position it 6 feet to the side of him. Then, you use Invisibility to renain unseen, while the Holo copies every one of your actions. If all works well, the oponent goes for the holographic double, while you remain unhurt. It doesn't matter if the enemy dishes out 30+ dice of Aggravated damage, because the holo remains unaffected. Then you disintegrate the enemy.

Archived