Aberrant RPG - Strengths and Weaknesses.

Jordan

I am trying to build a character and modify his powers using the strengths and weaknesses in the player's guide. Here is my difficulty.

I am modifying Disintegrate to be a touch only power. According to the PG to I can reduce the range by 1 power level per point of weakness. The problem is that range is based on both power level AND quantum. To buy down just the power level would still leave 5 dots worth of range (the 5 quantum needed to obtain the power).

I know its a matter of symantics, but how would storytellers rule on this one? Buy down the power level only and once you reach 0 power level, its a touch power? or would you be able to buy down both power level and quantum?

Jordan,

Both are reasonable alternatives but I would have the player buy down the power level only. At 0 I would rule it a touch power despite the fact that technically the formula is still:

(Quantum + Power Level) = Range

The rationale would be that at power level zero, for the purposes of range you are at the equivalent of not having the power.

Don't forget that for each five points of weakness you reduce the quantum level of the subject power by one.

[This message has been edited by Wizard (edited 07-20-2001).]

Hmm... but if he only buy 1 point of weakness in range, as soon as he gets the power at 2... won't he gain some range?

He'll have to get 5 level of weakness to make sure it remain a range power no matter how many dot he has in it.

Does that mean that making a ranged power into a touch one automatically lower it's level?

Quote:
...but if he only buy 1 point of weakness in range, as soon as he gets the power at 2... won't he gain some range?

Yes. If he buys the power up a level then he would want to take additional weakness as well to keep it at touch and offset the increase in power level.

Quote:
He'll have to get 5 level of weakness to make sure it remain a range power no matter how many dot he has in it.

Weakness is taken at the level necessary to offset or limit the effect the power currently has. In this case you take the weakness equal to the dots you have in power level to make the range touch. If, at a later time, he were to increase that power level then he would either be altering the character concept to allow for range or he would take additional weakness to off-set the now greater power level. You don't (shouldn't) get to take the weakness in advance as it has the effect of decreasing the quantum level of the power when you reach weakness levels of 5 / 10/ 15 etc..

Quote:
Does that mean that making a ranged power into a touch one automatically lower it's level?

If, in making it a touch power, you have taken five levels of weakness then yes you have lowered the quantum level of the power. In actual practice I usually see players take the power at five dots, add the weakness to shift to touch which changes the quantum level, and then add an extra to the power which shifts the quantum level back up.

[This message has been edited by Wizard (edited 07-20-2001).]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived