Cyberpunk Red (2078) - Setting Notes

Note: Since this game will be taking place after the events in the 2077 Video Game, I will be using some events that happen in game, some events that can happen in the game depending on different endings, and some events of my own so as to not spoil the game for those who have not played or finished it yet and to set the stage for certain stories.

In addition, the information listed here is more of what has been released to the public, or what the public knows (or believes). Rumors abound about virtually all of these events.

2077 was an eventful year in Night City...

large.Arasaka_Logotype_White-410x231.png

Arasaka

At the ripe, old age of 158 years old, the Corporate God himself, Saburo Arasaka, was murdered in the penthouse of Konpeki Plaza, right under the nose of his own son, Yorinobu, and his Security Chief, Adam Smasher. Apparently the assailants managed to infiltrate into the Konpeki Plaza penthouse, murder Saburo, and then fight their way back out and make their escape.

According to reports, their infiltration was aided by some sort of experimental Militech prototype, the presence of which certainly pointed the finger squarely at Militech. That fact that the murder of Saburo Arasaka himself, apparently with Militechs involvement, did not start a 5th Corporate War on the spot is due largely to Hanako Arasaka, Saburo's daughter. After the death of her father, and a brief power struggle at the top of the megacorp, Hanako assumed control of Arasaka and her cool head prevailed. 

Arasaka Security reported that the assassins were swiftly tracked down, apprehended, and interrogated, where was determined they were not working on behalf of Militech.

...and the city is thankful for it.

The year ended with some sort of attempted assault and infiltration of Arasaka Tower by unknow terrorists, but according to Arasaka Security, they were swiftly intercepted and neutralized, but unfortunately not before they had managed to inflict some casualties on Arasaka staff. Chief of Security, the solo known as Adam Smasher, has not been seen since the terrorist attack.

Night City Mayoral Race
After the unfortunate death of beloved Mayor Lucius Rhyne in 2077, Deputy Mayor Weldon Holt served as interim Mayor until elections could be held.  Former Night City District Attorney Jefferson Peralez ran against Holt in the election where he was touted as an idealist and anti-establishment type who opposes corporate control of the city's government.

A Peralez campaign advert...

Spoiler

large.Peralez_Banner2.png.2a46087bde8c02

"I've always been an activist for social change. That's why I'm running for mayor of Night City, because I know what the people of this city need. I know because I'm one of them. Under the neat haircut and clean suit, I'm just a kid who grew up on the streets of Heywood. If anyone knows how hard it is to break out of the vicious cycle of poverty, it's me.

Thanks to the Night Foundation Scholarship, I had the privilege of studying at the Asukaga university in Berkeley. Out of thirty candidates, only five received full funding. I'm not saying this to brag, but because to this very day I think about all those who weren't so fortunate, about the millions who didn't get the same chance I did. Deep inside, I know I owe something to them - them and their children, who face the same barriers their parents did a generation ago.

In terms of the injustices facing us today, the runner-up to social immobility is corruption. We've put up with this city council and NCPD palm-greasing for far too long. Something has to be done. Something CAN be done. That's why I'm refusing support, financial or otherwise, from any large corporations. Only a mayor that's fully independent can bring about real change in this city, and together we can make that happen."

Peralez was embraced by the city, especially the worker unions, and won the election in a landslide with 70.7% of the total vote. Since taking office Mayor Peralez has already unveiled his anti-homelessness program and has proposed tax hike.

large.Clouds_Banner.png.eb78852b0dc8fddeb63aea4b4b3a31bd.png

Clouds
After an internal altercation between management and employees, Clouds, the very esteemed nightclub known for its braindance venue, dolls and catering to its visitor's every desire (located in Megabuilding H8 in Japantown, Westbrook), has been closed until further notice to the chagrin of many,

large.Logo_org_aldecaldos1.png.3010cd03e22188c9c28961ed26ab5f8a.png

Aldecaldos
After about a year in the vicinity of Night City, the Nomads known as the Aldecaldos appear to have moved on, though some stragglers can still be seen in and around Night City. It is unknow if they have moved on in search of work or to possibly avoid local trouble as there are reports of a Militech cargo train being hit in the Badlands south of Night City with the Aldecaldos and Wraiths being likely suspects.

Archived