"Separation Anxiety" Discussion

Warren Verona

Okay. I have an idea for a fiction, or well, to be quite honest a character defining event for Revenant. I know what some may be thinking. Why post it and announce it?

Simple. The possibility of this event is something that, while is possible within the realms of the Aberrant universe, is not at all likely to be summed up in a strictly canon manner of speaking.

Okay, to put it bluntly… as a Story Teller myself, I’m looking to possibly break the rules for the sake of good drama. I’ve done it at the table more times than I can count, and I’m sure some of you have done it as well.

Get to the point Rev? Okay.

Revenant as a character, has come quite a long from the homeless ball of self loathing (thanks for those who have helped me make him so much fun to play). However, deep down inside, his greatest wish is to be rid of that essence that makes him who he is: The Revenant. He desires to be rid of the sinful presence that tears away at him. Lust, Pride, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Gluttony, and of course his very own, Wrath.

Granted these are facets of every person, but for him they make up chains of guilt that shackle and haunt him. He has quite literally given them a life of their own in his mind. While they may not be able to direct his actions, they certainly have some measure of presence when he really needs help or inner guidance.

So, what are they? Simple, they are anthropomorphic personifications of his guilt, guilt for crimes he feels he can never be forgiven for. He created them, and quite simply only he can overcome them.

They say that if a nova desires something enough they can make it happen. So, that’s where this off the wall, completely off base idea came from.

Six of the seven sins will separate from Revenant. They gather into a single identical clone of Warren. This new “Revenant” will aptly dub himself Synn. He is the side of Warren that has no qualms about what he is. He revels in the delight of being super human and unstoppable.

Warren will just be Warren. The man he would have been if he had grown into a man normally, yet still a nova, trapped in a dormant state. (The severing cannot ultimately chance what he is; there is no ‘cure’ for novadom.)

The point of the event is that while the two are separated, one of them is slowly dying. Without the constant influx of quantum energies to stabilize their dual nature one of them will have to go, the one who dies first will break down into a quantum signature (similar to when you use Parasitic Domination) to be absorbed by the other, bringing the two back together.

To the victor go the spoils. The one remaining becomes the new “Revenant”. Either Warren accepts what he is and over comes Synn or is forced to live as Synn, the one thing in the world he fears more than anything, until the end of his days.

Here is where I’m having issues. From a canon point of view I cannot justify a feat like this occurring and still saying “Yeah, it could happen.” With out a disgustingly high quantum score.

That’s why I want to turn it over to the players. I want you to help me hammer this out to the point where it makes sense (and there by not step on any ones toes while we play this out) or to scrap the project and go with something else.

I know, I come off with some zany ass ideas, but it’s a game and I try to have fun with it.

For the duration of the separation I will play two separate characters, obviously “Warren” and “Synn”. Revenant will enter sleepy time during this period. Both characters will be open and available for fictions, and would greatly look forward to amusing everyone with both characters.

Ask any questions you need to and I will do my best to answer them to help you understand the whys and wherefores.

Here is one Artemis asked while I was typing this up:

Why does Synn only take with him six of the sins and not seven?

The one sin that ‘Synn’ does not take with him is Wrath. Wrath is Warren’s military code name, it was the person he became when they broke him and turned him into nothing but a machine. It’s honestly a part of him, while the others are manifested guilt for the companions he murdered under the orders of his superiors. Synn cannot take Wrath from him, because Warren did not create Wrath separately, it was always a part of him. Wrath is The Revenant, he must accept that or Synn will destroy them and subsume them both.

I like it thematically but a physical result of this sort is rather extreme. Hence, I would suggest not having Revenant divide into two and instead default back on the standard split personality plot device (a'la Sally Field in that old TV movie). Synn and Warren, both distinct personalities, would have control of his body and be aware of each other. You could have them aware that they are sharing a body or you could have them both in the dark (that in itself could be an interesting plot; they're hunting each other without knowing they're sharing the same body).

However, that leaves your climax as to who "wins" a little cerebral (pardon the pun and the sloppy nature of the post).

Quote:
Originally posted by Singularity:
I like it thematically but a physical result of this sort is rather extreme. Hence, I would suggest not having Revenant divide into two and instead default back on the standard split personality plot device (a'la Sally Field in that old TV movie) instead. Synn and Warren, both distinct personalities, would have control of his body and be aware of each other. You could have them aware that they are sharing a body or you could have them both in the dark (that in itself could be an interesting plot; they're hunting each other without knowing they're sharing the same body).

However, that leaves your climax as to who "wins" a little cerebral (pardon the pun and the sloppy nature of the post).
This was considered. I've had this idea for about 3 weeks now trying to get it together. The reason I went with two seperate bodies was to place urgency on it.

One is dying. Warren most likely, the only way for him to escape death is challenge and accept back into him the one thing he's been fighting his whole life to be rid of.

I thought it made for a more powerful plot device.

How about making Revenant's body dying due to his quantum signature fragmenting internally? You retain the urgency of impending doom and the solution to the issue would be the personalities reintergrating (with one "winning"), hence their aggregate restoring Revenant to his healthly state. And if you're dead set on a physical confrontation, have them split for that specific confrontation. Then you don't run into the limitations of Clone.

One of th actuall Moderator Rules is "You cannot hange your quantum signature." so avoided messing with his.

Splitting them into two identical signatures was not specified however, so I went that route. This also means that since they share identical signatures they would be immune to one anothers powers.

I have a couple of questions, actually.

What are you looking to gain from the fiction, both as a player and for the character?

Is either ending equally likely? (Meaning, if certain requirements aren't met, will you actually give 'consent' to have Synn take over and become Revenant with all the consequences attached, or will 'Warren' win out either way?)

Identical signatures are covered under Clone and the broad number of "Quantum" powers and, as you noted, those rules cannot do what you want. Perhaps a slight realignment of the situation would work better.

Synn and Warren could be limited to two separate and distinct personalities within Revenant's mind. While they share the same quantum signature (since they are, in fact, the same person), the unstable nature of his mind could have an adverse effect on his unconscious ability to control the quantum energies running through his body, leaving him "leaking" quantum and slowly dying (hence retaining the imminent death situation). And, again, have him split into two bodies with a Node Spark (or whatever) fueled use of Clone, leading to a catharsis that cures his mental infirmity, therefore curing him of the fatal "leakage."

Quote:
Originally posted by Velvet:
I have a couple of questions, actually.

What are you looking to gain from the fiction, both as a player and for the character?

Is either ending equally likely? (Meaning, if certain requirements aren't met, will you actually give 'consent' to have Synn take over and become Revenant with all the consequences attached, or will 'Warren' win out either way?)
Excellent questions!

Character: I hoped this would be a milestone for Warren. A point in his life where he can finally slough off his past embrace his nature and come to terms with his nature as a nova.

The black wolf and the white wolf need to face one another and when the dust clears balance can be achieved, physically, spiritually, emotionally, grammatically.

Player: No point in bull shitting anyone. As a player I was going to use this as a petition for Reven to achieve Q6. If after all is said an done with this if the powers that be feel it was done well enough to merit it, cool. If not, I hope we all had fun doing it. Let's cook up something else and get crazy with the CheezWiz.

As for the second question:

<sigh> Yes. If all things work out against Warren I will doom myself to play as Synn. I neve liked it when my PC in D&D was transformed into a woman, but I accepted it and she kicked all kinda of ass.

Synn is not the direction I meant to go with this character, but sometimes you have to accept what the world thros at you.

I like the idea of a freak accident with Node Spark and Clone. Personally, I would like it if neither part could live without the other. So, one part can't just run off and kill the other. I also like the imagery of someone using Warren as a shield against Synn. laugh

The Q:6 idea makes perfect sense especially if Node Spark is used. That's probably the ultimate expression of pushing your node.

The quantum signatures should be the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I like the idea of a freak accident with Node Spark and Clone. Personally, I would like it if neither part could live without the other. So, one part can't just run off and kill the other. I also like the imagery of someone using Warren as a shield against Synn. laugh
The Q:6 idea makes perfect sense especially if Node Spark is used. That's probably the ultimate expression of pushing your node.
The quantum signatures should be the same.
Okay, Node Spark and Clone. However the trouble is the Clone would be weaker, and only have 1/2 the original Qpool, not to mentino a limited life span. Unless we just blow it off and assume both clones are of equal power due to a an UQE (Unexplained Quantum Expression). To explain the life span, I assume that Revenant very one vampiric nature begins to canabalize itself, the process would be slow but still a hazard none the less.

The idea of someone using Warren as a shield aainst Synn is interesting, but if you could clarify that somewhat I'd be greatful.

Well, Synn would be unwilling to outright kill Warren (thus committing suicide), so someone could hide behind Warren as cover if Synn attacked.

Also, the only difference between a Clone and its Originator is the Clone doesn't have the Clone power. It is just as powerful as the original. It also draws on Warren's quantum pool and Warren can't stop it.

Likewise, with Quantum Vampire, Warren would feel Synn draining people, since it would be their "group" pool that was being fed. That could increase the torture effect for Warren.

Archived