Weirder Stuff - Session IV - CHASING DEMONS

WS ST

Spoiler

This is a second thread running concurrently with Chasing Rainbows it is centered on The Jauntsons

CHASING DEMONS

I keep that part of me with bloodlust at bay
I keep the anger in the safest place
They put their hands on books that they don't believe
Saying words they'll never honor, digging us so deep
If we're asleep hands to heart with the keys
Something must wake us with the answers we seek
You won't find me
Chasing demons
Over the deep end
Chasing demons
Leaping into the dark
I keep the memories just where they belong
I weave in faith hoping that you'll find the thread
I tempt the wolf in the blackness again
It's nothing new when your choices are grim
If we're asleep hands to heart with the keys
Something must wake us with the answers we seek
You won't find me
Chasing demons
Over the deep end
Chasing demons
Leaping into the dark
You'll do

By Jasta

Marissa strangely enough had taken the news, story, explanation, whatever you want to Call the things their father and mother had told them Saturday, much better than Devin. But then she had always been the Pragmatic one.

They spent Sunday, the twins, away from everyone away from Shelly, family, US Marshals, and supposed cartel assassins. For the first time, Devin had discovered that he could carry another person with him, at least he could his twin.

They had stayed all day on the shore of a pristine mountain Lake somewhere in the Alps. Devin had popped away several times to get them supplies and tried to convince his sister that they shouldn’t go back. Ever. Mari listened to him but in the end just shook her head.

“We can’t run Devin, we are part of something back there, whether we want to admit it or not. And anyway, look at what running did for our parents.”

Devin scowled.

He was still scowling Monday morning when he parked his motorcycle in its usual spot at the front of the student parking lot. He hated this place. His scowl grew deeper as he entered the school. The other kids either greeting him with trepidation or trying not to draw attention to themselves. He looked at the missing person flyers, on the walls and bulletin boards, Cody Sikes picture from last years school portraits staring out at him that goofy idiot smile like he was laughing at the world. Like he was laughing at Devin.

No one else even glanced at the flyers. It was as if everyone, but Devin, had forgotten about Cody. Chet Walker and a couple of girls he was chatting up walked by, Chet nodded at Devin but ignored the flyer. It seemed even Cody’s friends had forgotten the lost boy.

“And why do you care?”

Devin turned toward the voice from behind already knowing that no one was there. The voice had been that of Cody Sikes.

Marissa chewed her lower lip as she walked by her brother’s motorcycle, he hadn’t said more than a dozen words since they had come home, since she had made him come home, the day before, and he had left the house early today. At least he was here at school.

She had left when her parents did. They were going down to Great Falls and the FBI office where they were going to get a more detailed briefing on THE THREAT. For some reason, cartel hitmen didn’t scare her half as much as what lay here in Shelly.

God she had so much work to do.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WS ST said:

He was still scowling Monday morning when he parked his motorcycle in its usual spot at the front of the student parking lot. He hated this place. His scowl grew deeper as he entered the school. The other kids either greeting him with trepidation or trying not to draw attention to themselves. He looked at the missing person flyers, on the walls and bulletin boards, Cody Sikes picture from last years school portraits staring out at him that goofy idiot smile like he was laughing at the world. Like he was laughing at Devin.

No one else even glanced at the flyers. It was as if everyone, but Devin, had forgotten about Cody. Chet Walker and a couple of girls he was chatting up walked by, Chet nodded at Devin but ignored the flyer. It seemed even Cody’s friends had forgotten the lost boy.

“And why do you care?”

Devin turned toward the voice from behind already knowing that no one was there. The voice had been that of Cody Sikes.

Then ex-bully of Shelly high stood there in the hallway, looking as everyone passed him by.  It was difficult these days to tell what was real and what The Dark messing with their heads.  They still hadn't found Cody and the last time they went and looked for him a monster born of nightmares almost killed Devin, or at the very least, severed his leg and junk.  Aside from the severe emotional and physical trauma that would have put Lona through by denying her what was probably the greatest thing to happen for women since Hedy Lamarr invented WiFi, Devin wasn't eager to go back to the Upsidedown Thunder.  Frankly the place scared the hell out of him.  Disembodies voices in his head scared the hell out of him too.

Today he was in typical jeans and a t shirt with black leather jacket to keep the chill of the motorcycle winds away.  Unlike Lona's heavy metal, faded and worn leather jacket, his was the stylish, sleek sort that said he had way more money than most and was dying for something to waste it on.  He shifted his shoulder, pulling the strap of his backpack up higher on his shoulder as per the sacred teachings of Channing Tatum who said 'you never two strap it'.  He looked at all of his fellow classmates and knew, for certain, that he wasn't friends with a single person at a school he'd attended for three years.  "I don't know, Cody," He said softly, more to himself than anyone else.  He wondered if Cody could hear him, wherever he was, or if maybe The Dark could hear him, or was trying to get in his mind.  "Maybe it's guilt.  Maybe it's me growing up.  Maybe I'm just so lost lately that I've decided to give a flying fart in the breeze because no one else does."

He looked at the flyer for the missing boy.  "For what it's worth, Cody.  I'm sorry, but don't think for a moment a few caring people can't change the world.  Spoiler alert, bro... that's the only kind of people who ever have."

"Have what?"  Came a rather bland voice from behind him.  He spun around, a bit startled, only to come face to face with Sophia Fingleman, the coroner's daughter and owner of the largest tits in Shelly high and possibly the most unfortunate last name as well.  He stared at her awkwardly... which was odd, because she was odd... and usually pretty awkward.

"Uh," his mind froze.  He had a lot on it lately and with all the frustrations and irritation surrounding he was way out of focus.  "Uh, nothing, Fingerban-... I mean, Fingleman, what do you want?"

"Well, I was going to skip first hour and was wondering if you wanted to make out in the prop closet," she smirked mischievously.

Devin stood paralyzed.  Sure she wasn't the hottest girl in Shelly, but she was a misfit, an outcast... which meant this poor girl was harboring so much pent up frustration that she was bound to be a freak.  He eyes narrowed.  "You're fucking with me."

She laughed.  "I totally am."  She slapped his shoulder in a playful manner.  "Looking for your sister, actually.  Homecoming is a big deal at the moment, and she's on the planning committee I got voluntold to be a part of, so if you see the Cuntess of Cruelty tell her I'm looking for her."

"Hey, that's my sister you're talking about."  Devin's voice grew stern and irritated.

"I'll tell everyone you came up with the name first," she bartered.

"Fair trade."  He shrugged.  "If I see her, I'll let her know."

"Thanks," she turned to walk off then paused, spinning about halfway to address him again.  "Hey, question... are the rumors true?  Are you really like, not messing with people anymore?  Like, gone legit?  Trying to be a decent guy and everything?  Because that's what everyone is saying."

"Yeah, something like that, why?"

"No reason," she smiled.  "Just, I dunno, looks good on you, I guess.  People are talking, saying you've been different.  Just wanted to hear it from you is all."

7 hours ago, WS ST said:

Marissa chewed her lower lip as she walked by her brother’s motorcycle, he hadn’t said more than a dozen words since they had come home, since she had made him come home, the day before, and he had left the house early today. At least he was here at school.

She had left when her parents did. They were going down to Great Falls and the FBI office where they were going to get a more detailed briefing on THE THREAT. For some reason, cartel hit men didn’t scare her half as much as what lay here in Shelly.

God she had so much work to do.

//Hey.  I'm worried.  Stop being a jerk and talk to me, please?//  She typed out to her brother on her phone as she made her way down the hallway of the school.  She noticed Jase in the office, so decided not to go that way.  Several other moved out of her way like she was parting the Red Sea of Retardation as she moved down to her locker.  She paused as her phone vibrated and she stopped to check it.

//I'm fine.  Just a lot on my mind.  BTW call or find Sophia Fingerbang, she needs you for Homecoming.//

"Homecoming?"  She asked herself out loud as the realization that she had completely forgot sank in.  "Shit."

Tawny approached as Marissa was distracted by her phone. "Hey."  She startled Marissa, which there seemed to be a lo of that going around these days.  "Woah, sorry, you okay?"

"Fine," Marissa snapped.  "What do you want?  Devin is off somewhere else, he's not with me so go be clingy away from em, please."

"Wow."  Tawny leaned away like she was trying to dodge the flames spewing from the mouth of madness.  "What's got you all riled up.  I mean, geez, I just borrowed a pair of sweats."

"Oh, that's right," Marissa sneered at her with the sudden reminder that Tawny helped herself to her clothes regularly during her stays over.  "Stay out of my sweats drawer.  Christ, bring your own clothes over."

"Uh,"  Tawny folded her arms and rest her weight on side of her hip.  "You still have my purple hoodie, that pair of jeans, and that trashy top you bought me for my birthday which we both know you bought for yourself since you borrowed almost immediately and still haven't returned.  Ringing any bells?"

Marissa tapped her phone to her chin gently.  "Oh, that's right... I did borrow those."  She smiled evilly.  "Still, stay the hell out of my drawers."

Tawny exhaled and let her hands drop to her sides.  "Emjay-"

"Don't," she raised a finger at Tawny.  "Call me that.  You're not my brother."

"Fine, fine," she raised her hands in defense.  "What has you so mad?  I mean, I've seen you mad, but... is everything okay?"

"No," she said softly.  She fell back let her her back hit the wall of lockers.  She let out a sigh.  "Everything is not okay.  For the first time in a long time, Tawny... I don't have control.  I don't have control and it's scaring me."

Tawny smiled and folded her arms.  "How can I help fake, sis?"  Marissa glared at her.  Solid daggers of pure malice.  "Come on, Marissa.  You and Devin are trying this whole new leaf thing right?  Come on.  Let me help you.  Trust me, please.  Let me in, I want to help."

"Fine."  She huffed.  "Help me find Sophia Fingleman.  We have to start Homecoming, oh, and by the way, I have to promote the Fellowship to the rank of popular..."  She gripped Tawny's hand and drug her along down the hall.

"Wait,"  Tawny stumbled to keep up.  "We gotta do what?  Is that really wise?"

• Nina pinned this topic

Mari

As Marissa and Tawny made their way down the hall Marissa kept her face in her phone but still she noticed the other kids more than she would ever let on. Tawny kept up a string of chatter that was basically nonsensical and easily sloughed off into a back part of Mari’s brain where it would ferment until she decided to remember what the half-wit had been yammering about.  

No, Marissa wasn’t paying attention to her brothers want-a-be star-crossed lover , but she was paying attention to those who passed and got out of her way as she walked down the center of the hall and she mostly noticed that a lot of them were sneering or giving her and Tawny contemptuous side glances. This was not normal.

“Hey, there you are,” Sophia Fingleman stood in the center of the hall books held defensively in front of her breasts to ward off the straying eyes of the pubescent teen boys passing her. “Did Devin give you my message?”

Devin

Devin followed Sophia with his eyes as she walked off, she really was a good-looking girl, and weird, just like the other nerds.

“She’s hot for you man.” Colby’s voice said. It wasn’t in his mind he was sure of that. Ever since Hutchins had displayed the ability to speak to him that way he had been working hard to block that sort of shit. Plus it just sounded real he could hear it just like he could the other kids in the hall, even though it seemed that they couldn’t.

“You should go after her, man. Science 3 is empty this time of day, you could take her in there, man. She’ll put up a little fight, say no, over, and over again. But she’ll give in she wants it, man. She wants you, man.”

"If by give me your message you mean 'Fingerbang is looking for you', then yes.  Yes he did."  Marissa snapped, already annoyed and obviously the butt end of a joke or rumor she was not yet aware of.  That didn't sit well with her at all.  "Homecoming, Sophia.  What?  You're on the committee, I'm not so what do you need to fix for you?  It's obvious your bra isn't filled with double D brains, so what did you screw up?  I literally handed you a list, how did you screw it up?"

Tawny stood patiently at Marissa's side, looking at the other students while Sophia received what was one of many verbal lashings from Marissa.  "Uh, M-Marissa... why's everyone snickering and eyeballing us?"

Marissa eye rolled as she turned her attention away from Sophia.  "At the moment, I don't care.  I mean, seriously, have you noticed your fashion choices lately?"

"But, I like paisley," the attractive teen blond looked down at her blouse.

"If only paisley liked you," Marissa snarked with venomous annoyance.  "We'll solve one thing at a time and get you back on Antique Roadshow before you know it," like an annoyed mother trying to juggle two children she turned her attention back to Sophia.  "What is the problem, Sophia?  Come on, I don't have all morning."

Devin walked down the hall, looking agitated and nervous as the voice of Cody kept talking to him.  He'd spun about to look over his shoulder more times than he could count but each time he came off as nothing more than a paranoid kid looking like he was losing his mind.  "Is that how it is?  Huh?  Just gonna walk away like you don't hear me, huh?  Thought you were a badass, Devin.  Always walking around the school like Johnny Bigdick, taking what you want, cowering the masses with threats and you're little band of thugs."

"Shut, up."  Devin mumbled through gritted teeth.

"Shut up?  Oh, come on bro!  I'm not judging!  You could own these fucking people, man!  Foot on the throat, crown on the head... motorboat you some Sophia... maybe tie you down some Laurie and redden up that pale little ginger ass of hers...

Devin shut his eyes tight and walked faster.  He stormed down the hallway, slamming people into lockers who unfortunate enough to get in his way.  "I'm not listening to you.  You're not real.  Shut up."

"Ah," the tone carried the telltale gesture and implication of 'Cody' arriving at the thought of yet another little knife to twist into Devin's side.  "Wait... Lona.  That's what you want, isn't it?  Poor, damaged, broken, emotionally diseased little Lona.  Shattered and scared like poor little Devin and his sister.  Yes.  That's what you want... so?  Take her.  A few twists of wordplay and you'll be prodding those matte black lips in search of a gag reflex in no time..."

The voice was a constant droning in his mind, always on the edge of his ears despite the commotion of his classmates all around him.  Covering them didn't help.  His balance began to be affected as two worlds claimed his senses and he began staggering about the hallways.  The force of will he was exerting to try and clear his mind was exhausting and sweat began to form on his brow, glistening in pale, souls sucking lights of the school's hallway.

"Oh, wait..." The Cody voice practically smiled.  "She doesn't even want you, does she?  Sure, she'll hang out... spend your money... then when you drop her off at home it's straight to her top drawer Amazon order she's still embarrassed about, but oh, so thankful she bought it and it's nothing but Cade!  CadeCADE!"  The voice in head twisted to the mocking sound of Cody doing a poor impression of Lona climaxing.

"SHUT UP!"  He screamed, clamping his hands on his ears.  The hallway froze in horror and silence.  The voice stopped, Cody decided to shut up... at least for the moment as everyone all around him stared in silent confusion as to what caused his outburst.  Devin took a few breaths, to him the silence was welcomed.  To his left some random student stared and the bully of Shelly High glared back.  He pushed the kid out of his way.  "Fuck you looking at?"

"What?"  He asked the silent crowd.  Slwoly people went back to their own business.  "Go back to being losers.  Show's over."

Marissa

"Wow. Panties too tight there Marissa, cause it's really too early in the week for you to be such a bitch," Said Sophia, as she held up her phone. "Maybe if you took your face out of your phone for five minutes and applied your incredible wit to, I don't know, the shit you volunteered for, things might get done. One, I was just handed this committee thing Friday at the end of the day. Two, I haven't talked to you since the end of last year so no you didn't hand me a list. And three, well, three is just that your a bitch and you should maybe take leaf out of your brothers book and stop being so fucking full of yourself, and try to be a real human being for a change." With that she spun around intending to stalk off dramatically,  but instead, found herself face to face with Mrs Myers and a gorgeous Blond Woman dressed conservatively who was giving Sophia a very disapproving eye.

"Miss Fingleman, you  know language like that is not allowed in school. This is Miss Forster, she will be subbing for Mr Carlson the rest of the semester, possibly the year. And you are not making a very good first impression."

Sophia paled visibly and Miss Forster gave the other two girls an appraising look with her gaze meeting and lingering a moment on Marissa.

Devin

Most of the kids looked away and retreated leaving Devin, well, not alone.

"Who are you talking to," asked the redheaded Cassidy girl (the real one)?

"Man it's like they all want you. Just look at her all but throwing herself at your feet." Colby chuckled in Devins ear.

Spoiler

Devin is confronted by Laurie. She is standing about two feet away and looking up at his face. Before he says anything, when colby just spoke, lauries didn't move but devin will see her eyes flicker to a point onhis right where he imagins if colby were real he would be standing

"Who did I give that list to?"  Marissa looked off into the distance as if to sift through her thoughts.  Then shrugged and put on her game face to show Sophie how tactful diplomacy worked (in case she wanted to try it some time, ugh, she was such a bitch.)  Her gigawat smile lit up the hallway as her heels clacked on the floor to close the distance between her and Miss Forster, because high school was like running a corporation and she was always ready to own a boardroom if need be.  She extended her hand.  "Miss Forster, hello.  I'm Marissa.  Marissa Jauntsen.  Mrs. Meyers, it's fine, really.  While I don't approve of her use of language, Sophia is right in that I was being unnecessarily short with her.  I'm having a bad morning and she called me on my attitude.  I'm just thankful that I have the sort of rapport with my peers that they feel comfortable expressing themselves on equal footing with me."

Marissa didn't just own the room, she practically owned the school.  Having been stopped by Mrs. Meyers Sophia paused for he lecture then found herself standing next to Tawny while Marissa worked her social voodoo.  "Wow."  She said.  "She's good."

"Yep."  Tawny nodded through pursed lips.  Not buying an ounce of Marissa's B.S. she wondered how everyone else did?  I mean, sure, from time to time no matter much she tried to dislike Devin's sexy twin, she just couldn't do it.  It was like hot and cold with her.  "Girl's got her some skills.  God, you know I want to hate her, but then... I don't know..."

"Then she open her mouth twenty minutes later and you want it to be Fist-to-faceville... population my fist, her face?"  Spohia asked.

"That," Tawny paused for consideration.  "Didn't even make any sense."

Sophia turned and looked at the super model of a teen.  "You're blouse is ugly."  She said flatly and turned and walked off in a hurry.

Bearing a look of being wounded deep the attractive blond looked down at her blouse.  "But... I like paisley."

"...and please, Miss Forster, if there's anything I can help with to make your transfer to Shelly High any easier, please let me know.  I'd be happy to help."  Marissa finished while offering a maroon framed smile.  "And, Mrs. Meyers, I know you have a lot on your plate, busy man that you are, so if there is anything I can help Miss Forster with, do not hesitate to ask."

Laurie was a bigger bitch than Marissa.  Most would disagree, but Laurie lacked ambition and maturity behind her attitude.  She was just one big bitch cannon looking for someone who irked her so she could fire away.  It was kinda hot... as long as Devin wasn't the target, not his ego would allow him to accept that he did anything to warrant a retaliation.  He found her mind bogglingly hot... just couldn't stand her personally.

At the moment though, she was an angel in his eyes.  Slow motion while a breeze whipped her hair about, the whole nine yards, because he could talk to her.  She knew.  She was in on all the weirdness and he could trust her.  She had the Shine.  Sure, she was a total bitch... but any port in a storm, right?

"Come with me,"  he grabbed her arm and drug her off while she offered a 'hey!' of complaint.  He could see it in her eyes, the dancing, swirling imagery of Cody skirting the edge of the worlds by hiding in the one place no one could see him... the soul.  He pulled her off through a door and as it closed the students in the hallway all jumped, startled at the loud implosion of air that echoed on the other side of the men's restroom door.

The place they were in now was musty and smelled like sweat and old sports equipment... all the old sports equipment around them was a dead give away.  "Woah."  Laurie tried to get her bearings as the feeling of instant transmassion didn't seem to sit well with her breakfast.  "Warn a girl next tiem, geez, That was very unsettling. And what is that smell?"

"Spare equipment room, off from the gym."  He walked away from her and to the back of the room, away from the door.  She tried to follow him, if only to get her self moving after the awkwardness of teleportation.  "No!"  He pointed to her.  "No.  Stay there.  By the door."

"Devin, what the fuck if your problem?"  She backed away a few steps.

"Cody is my problem, Laurie!  He's in my head.  The Dark is in my head!"  He gripped the sides of his head an walked about the back of the room.  He swayed back and forth like he was working out an injury... or had lost his mind.  "I thought the Shine protected us.  I thought we would be immune... but... but we're not Laurie... we not and right now Cody is in my head and he's got some really great ideas... the more he talks... it's like when you're a kid you idolize Batman but when you grow up... you realize the Joker was right."  He slammed the tip of his finger into the side of his heard hard enough that she could hear the thumping sound.  He shifted to his side.  "Shut up!  Just fucking shut up!"

Laurie cautiously took several steps towards Devin. "Devin stop hitting yourself in the head it won't help. I mean come on look at Chet."

"Laurie, warn the others.  Tell them we're not immune.  It can get in our heads too... we're not safe."  Sweat was pouring down his forehead at the strain it took him to ignore the constant taunting of Cody.  The longer Cody whispered into his ears the more palatable his ideas became.

"The fuck are you doing, Devin?"  Cody taunted.  Always inched from ear but miles away from being in swinging distance.  "You think she gives a fuck about you dude?  She doesn't.  All she wants to do is dress up her little brother like a doll and parade him through the streets... so he can be embarrassed and jeered at mocked by his peers... kid has enough problems and she treats him like a toy... c'mon Devin... let her know what it feels like to be treated like doll... undress her... let's play..."

"Wh-why you, mother fucker"  Laurie spat balling her fist. She wasn't looking at Devin when he looked at her but behind and to the right, right where Cody had to be whispering in his ear. "My brother is not a toy and you have no idea the shit we all go through because of him"

She stepped closer as if she were ready to tear some ones head off.

"Wait, you can hear me?"

"Wait, you can hear him?"

"Well Duh, yes I can hear him is that Cody Sikes?"

Devin feels a heavy pressure then nothing the funk and confusion seems to pop. Sort of like when your sinus congestion suddenly clears and you can breath again.

Laurie comes up close to Devin and reaches out and touches his arm, gently, "It's alright Devin, it's gone. You are not crazy, and the dark is not in your head."  She reaches up and pushes his hair back from his face. "It wasn't really Cody, you were right it was the dark, but not in your head, it was here trying to break you down. You beat it."

2 hours ago, Marissa Jauntsen said:

"...and please, Miss Forster, if there's anything I can help with to make your transfer to Shelly High any easier, please let me know.  I'd be happy to help."  Marissa finished while offering a maroon framed smile.  "And, Mrs. Meyers, I know you have a lot on your plate, busy man that you are, so if there is anything I can help Miss Forster with, do not hesitate to ask."

Mrs Myers either missed the barb or over looked it  because she knew she couldn't compete. Ms. Forster on the other hand tilted her head and she realized what kind of person Marissa was. She smiled atthe teenager, "I may have to take you up on that, Marissa, such a pretty name. I'll see you in class, in about an hour."

The two adults walked away up the hall, leaving the two teens standing there. 

"Wow, this morning has been kind of intense," Said Tawny.

"Laurie... it's.  It's like it talks and you know better, but you want to listen.  Your brain scream no but you body says 'eh, what the hell'. It's not mind control.  It's like you're soul just lets go of everything that keeps you... inhibited.  You can fight it, but..."  He looks at her, suddenly coming back into the now.  "Wait."

He realized now how close they were, her hand rubbing gently through his hair.  The situation suddenly became way more intimate than he was comfortable with.  Took a step back away from her.  He didn't feel comfortable near her after The Dark just ran through a tawdry rape fantasy involving her in his head.  Devin, uncomfortable around a woman?  Wonders never ceased.  "H-how did you know?  How could you see him?"

"Looking forward to it,"  she smiled brightly.  Once they were well out of earshot she folded her arms across her chest and mumbled softly.  "It's Latin, bitch."

She took in a deep breath rubbed the bridge of her nose.  "No, Tawny, it's not intense.  It's totally fucked.  Come on, we need to find Sophia and figure out what happened with Homecoming... and find that god damned list.  Who the hell did I give it to?"

"Why do I have to help?"  Tawny protested.  "How am I suddenly a part of your problems?"

She'd only made it a few steps and halted to turn and face Tawny with a spin that made her skirt flair.  "Because I'm at my wits end.  I have a lot of on my plate right now and since you come to my house, eat my food and wear my clothes, you can shut up and help for once instead of being a love sick parasite."

"Yeah," Tawny twisted her hands together like she was washing this whole situation clean.  "I'm out of here."

Marissa's lips curled in frustration.  She wasn't above doing it, especially to people like Tawny who she considered something akin to an associate, but still, she wouldn't stay out of her sweats drawer.  "I'll talk to my brother."

Tawny stopped dead in her tracks and she didn't see the evil grin that spread across maroon lips.  She turned to face Marissa who now wore nothing but a humble expression.  "You said he was talking with Lona, and we both know how he feels."

"True, I did."  The Queen of Shelly took a few soft steps forward.  "But Lona is about as AWOL as a girl can get.  She's ghosted him and in a few days he'll be down about that and looking for something to lose himself in to keep his mind off the anger and heartbreak of rejection at losing both his precious little Lona and his Fellowship... he'll listen to me.  He could lose himself in you."

"You promise?"  Tawny asked her through pursed lips, realzing she was being manipulated but to lost in the offer to allow herself to think straight.

"I shouldn't have to," Marissa said.  "I may be a horrible person, Tawny, but I'm not the nerd herd.  I don't high five at the thought of missing children and laugh at the thought of parents never seeing their child again.  I don't slit throats, or hospitalize people for kicks.  But if you think one of the local psychopaths can make it happen for you, then run to them, but I assure you, my brother has checked out on listening to anyone but me for the short term."

"Fine."  She agreed reluctantly.

Marissa perked right up and the vile, evil tone in her voice went right back to chipper and clear.  "Great!  Let's go find Sophia."

“Dummy, I didn’t see him, neither of us did, because he wasn’t here and he isn’t a he, its an it. We heard it.” She grabs Devin’s hand and pulls him to the door, “Lets get outside in the sun and fresh air, it stinks in here.”

For a moment Devin resisted but she was a lot stronger than she looked. Once outside he pulled his hand away. “How could you hear him? No one else could.”

“With my ears…” she started sarcastically but something about the way Devin looked made her back off. “Look Devin, my hypotheses are, no one else heard it because they don’t have the Shine, whatever that really is. But it wasn’t in our heads, it was probably vibrating the air at some frequency which only we can hear now.”

She took a breath and Devin took the opportunity to ask a question, “How do you know it wasn’t in our heads?”

Laurie took a deep breath, “Because if it could get in our heads, Bannon would have killed Liam, not beat him up. This thing doesn’t want pain it wants death."

Devin squinted from the sunlight the pierced the windows and lit up the gymnasium.  "You know, we didn't have to use the door.  I could have taken us anywhere.  Christ it's bright..."

He grumbled and followed on after her.  Like his sister, he rubbed the bridge of his nose, a sure tell that he was dealing some measure of anxiety or frustration.  "Well, I'm glad you have it all figured out.  When did you get so smart, anyway?  You're a jock..."  Then he stopped like something had dawned on him.

"Hold up, why are you being nice to me, anyway?  You hate me.  Hell, the whole Nerd Herd hates me, so why are you telling me all me this and not them?  Shouldn't you be running off to them so you can all make snarky jokes behind my back about my sister and me?"

"I have always been smart, and I am not a jock. Its just no one noticed because of Sean's computer skills and stuff, and the football, that's more a female solidarity thing, and I'll admit to a bit of a girl crush on Lilly."  She stopped and faced Devin placing her hands on her hips.

"As for figuring all of this out, I haven't, not yet, but I can put two and two together, and when that doesn't  equal four, you have to look for what's missing."

Deep breath and a heavy sigh follow as she studies Devin, like he's a specimen on a microscope slide. "Hating you and Marissa is Illlogical and serves no purpose. The fact that you and your sister can't understand that you hurt people is your problem not mine, and the fact that they can't get over it and have an " I have to hurt them back now' mentality is theirs. I am here with you telling you all of this for two reasons: one, when i was walking in the hall I heard Colby talking to you and didn't see him so I investigated, and two, because you grabbed me and jaunted my ass into that closet so that is why I am here with you.  And as for running off to tell everyone else?

What for? In case you hadn't noticed if it isn't any idea that Bannon thought of or read about or approves of it isn't worth following up on, and if it is he co-ops it and everyone listens to him and not the originator of the said Idea."

She blows out air from her nose in an almost but not quite snort, "Okay that last might be a bit of jealousy, but, hey I'm a kid."

Laurie tilts her head to the side and gives the anxious boy a little smile, "I don't hate you Devin. And neither do any of the others, they may not like you , but they don't hate you."

Devin sighed crossed his arms.  She didn't get it either.  "Hate, 'don't like', it's semantics.  Look, my sister and I aren't stupid and we're not Jase.  We know exactly how we are.  We know exactly what we say, and asking us not to be that way is tantamount to demanding you to not be smart, or not follow your dreams to carpet shark Lilly in the girl's shower.  If that's who you are, wear it and love it, girl.  Best of luck to you and hope you get there and I don't care how you walk, talk, or dress or who you love on the the way."

"They want everyone to talk like them, behave like them, and not be mean unless it's them being mean.  I mean, did you see how they reacted to Jase and what he did?  No one cared.  My sister is scared to death for you guys that he's going to hurt one of you and all you have to go on is his word, compared to the evidence... and what?  A gripping tale about how he's a psychopath and now everyone's to milking his cock waiting for their turn to ride like a bunch of desperate house wives trying to collaborate a bondage sex book with a less than subtle self insertion."  He shook his head.  "Had that been me, they'd have strung me up and fed me to the Sheriff.  Look how Lilly reacted to me saying 'what's up, bitches'.  She's so stupid that couldn't see that the pizza was a peace offering, and nothing about what I said was meant as an insult, but she just had to pick a fight and just like that... I'm done."

"I wanted to be friends with you guys, I did,"  He paced around, letting the venting flow through him like the Force.  "What guy like me wouldn't?  Surrounded by hot chicks all the time," he gestured to Laurie.  "Always some sort of trouble to be had... it was fun.  You guys seemed cool.  Then it was just a breakdown of everyone's masks coming off... Clara is a horrible person, and seriously... Lilly?  I have never met a person so self-obsessed in my life, and that's saying a lot because we all know who my sister is."

He laughed and shook his head.  "And not a single one of them has even bothered to come talk to us.  Either of us.  I'm the one who brought a peace offering to get everyone together and wash things under the bridge... which Lilly turned into a fight.  I'm the one who clarified that we don't have to like each other to be a team and fight this thing, my sister and I were the ones who put for the plan to not only unify us, but the town as well... and no one has said a damn things about it.  Jase hasn't even bothered to ome and talk to us about what he did, he's just content to go on letting people be afraid of him.  But coming to us means that, what?  You or the Nerd Herd are some how wrong for what you did or how you acted?  We all have faults, we all wear scars from our past, Mari and I just wear them in plain sight.  It's not about who's right or wrong, it's about becoming a team and fighting that monster before it kills us all and the people we love.  At this rate, we're all dead."

He paused for a moment and shook his head, sighing.  "Look, I'm sorry, Laurie... I'm generalizing, I don't mean you specifically.  This isn't your fault, none of it is.  I-,"  He seemed stunned and at a complete loss for words (for once).  It was an interesting side to him, at least.  No quips of jabs or heavy handed insults on the coattails of back handed compliments, he seemed almost vulnerable, like he couldn't keep up with his own problems let alone worry others'.  "I guess I just needed to vent.  Hey uh, look... about you and Lilly... don't walk around admiring a crush from a distance.  Be bold.  Talk to her, don't wait and let an opportunity for happiness slip past because of fear of rejection.  Lilly barely knows what Lilly wants half the time, make a play and most she can do is just say 'no'.  You went in without her as a lover and you could leave the same way... you've lost or gained nothing, you break even and you don't have to worry about what the 'what ifs'.  Lilly is too... well, Lilly to ever not be your friend over something like that.  Be brave, it suits you, Red.  Best of luck to you two, hope it works out."

It was classic Devin, if anyone took the time to get to know him.  He was daring and brave and never allowed doubt and fear and keep from enjoying all points of his life because it was the only one he was going to get.  He never carried regret or worry because he knew, in the end, he would come out the survivor and have a lesson to share.  Everything that embarrassed the average teenager was just soemthing for him to do to pass the time.  Ask out girls, take everyone up on 'I bet you won't' moments, and most of all - own every room he walked into.  "See you around, Laurie.  And thanks for having my back but uh, I ah, gotta go," he paused and walked backwards.  "...but call me f you need me.  I owe ya."

It was hard, not laughing, so very hard, she almost made it until the 'about you and Lilly... don't walk around admiring a crush from a distance. ' part. She couldn't keep it off her face but Devin was on form and didn't notice until he started to walk away and she actually couldn't hold it in any more.

Devin turned back to the laughing girl just know that she was laughing at him, and glared "What?"

"Dude, do you not even know what girl-crush means? OMG, you are so full of yourself, its almost cute." Laurie wipes the tears of laughter and walks over to him, beaming. "But you are right no one has made an effort. So how about you walk me to class. I'll explain the whole girl-crush thing to you and maybe ask you about the weather or something." Laurie slipped her arm around his, "Have you been to New Zealand?"

"It's current year,"  Devin said, relatively unabashed.  "I'm not about to blow it off and then get yelled at for being an insensitive prick who's somehow anti-gay because he didn't acknowledge your loin-moistening love."  He looked down at his arm as she looped hers in his.  Chivalry was not dead, at least in Devin's small corner of the world.  Sure, he'd call a bitch a bitch, but that didn't mean he couldn't be a gentleman.

"And, no, I haven't been to New Zealand.  I couldn't think of anything to do there."  They were getting looks in the hallway as teenagers immediately began thinking there had to be something going on if Devin was holding Laurie's arm in public, it was tantamount to hand holding, or making out.  In fact, a few of the sheltered students thought it was how babies happened.  There was a slight pause but Devin knew an opening when he saw it.  "But, if you'd like to go sometime?  I'm sure we could make a day out of it."

"Are you asking me out," she chuckled at the stones on him.  Like her brother, Sean, Devin never missed a chance to get in girl's pants, just for different reasons.

"Inviting," he laughed.  "I'm inviting you out.  Lona and I are sort of 'talking', whatever the means, so I don't think it'd be right to ask another girl out until whatever we have is resolved, but... inviting you out for a day and taking you to New Zealand... I don't see the harm in that."

"Sweet, we can go see Hobbiton, Sean will be so jealous."

Marissa

1st Period Biology

They didn’t find Sophia before it was time to head to class, apparently, she was in a drama class, nerd. Marissa and Tawny parted ways with Tawny heading off to English or history or something, and Mari made her way to biology.

When she entered the class, she saw that the freak brothers were there, she had momentarily forgotten that she had Sean and Jason in her first period class. Last week she had sat by Jason but not today Mari walked up the desk where Terry Cox, the weirdo big Goth girl was sitting, one look and with a sigh Terry gathered up her books and loved to another desk.

The bell rang as Mari was putting her things in order and a moment or two later in came the new substitute teacher.

Kaitlin Forster paused briefly to survey the class and was rewarded with the awestruck looks, mostly from the boys, which made her produce a slight smile which could only be described as wicked. Then she went to the whiteboard and with the convenient marker wrote her name on it in big sweeping letters.

Ms. FORSTER

Turning back to face the class, “Good morning, students, my name is Ms Forster and I will be taking over for Mr Carlson who has been called away to Colorado with a family emergency. Right now, I am not sure how long I will be here but at least through the current term.

I am excited to get to know each of you and share with you, the fascinating world of Science and Biology.”

She leans back on the desk and crosses her ankles in front of her, giving everyone a nice view of her legs. “Now I know some of you probably most of you took this class for what is basically an easy credit, or to cut up frogs,” She looks at Jason, “But Biology isn’t just about flesh and blood, it isn’t just about Life, it is about so much more than that. And I hope that We will explore all of this together.

So to get started, I want to know what each of you expects to get out of this class. Who wants to go first?”

She waits a bit then pushes away from the desk and going around behind it. “Come on you guys aren’t 6th graders, you are almost adults. We can be honest with each other.

Marissa, you’re a shaker and a mover here at Shelly high, why don’t you go first?”

Devin

Walking Laurie to class was kind of nice, she talked but not incessantly and it was pleasant, and it was over a bit faster than he would have liked.

“This is my first period,” She said and immediately realized that she had given him the perfect opening to make a crass remark.

Devin just shook his head, “Too easy Cassidy. Thanks for earlier and Remember I owe you one.”

Lauri laughed and smiled at him, “I will, see you later Jaunt.”

And then she was gone into her classroom, and he realized he had to get all the way back to the other side of the building to make his own first period. He looked around for a out of the way spot where he could, well, jaunt from. He saw an alcove that was recessed with a water fountain and cut across the hall and into the empty space where he opened his senses to find the boys room near his class and an empty stall and  he closed his eyes and…

…opened them.

He wasn’t in the alcove any more he was in a toilet stall, but his smile faded, and his heart began beating furiously in his chest with fear.

The light was tinted blue and the smell of rotten wood permeated everything. The stall was decayed the porcelain toilet cracked what little water was in the remains of the bowl was black and chocked with mold.

He knew that some how he had teleported to the otherside.

"Certainly, Mrs. Forster,"  Marissa smiled politely and stood, taking a brief moment to straighten her pleated skirt that, thus far, no faculty had noticed was a teansie bit outside the school's regulations for length.  "Again, welcome to Shelly High."  There were several groans and eye rolls.  Sure, Marissa might be the Queen of Shelly High, but she played the adults for the fools they were but ruled the student body by virtue of the fact that she had the adults in her pocket.  She could (and had, on a few occasions) ruined students socially and academically just prove a point.  Her 'good girl' act didn't fool the students (most of the time), but they knew not to mess with her.

"While none of my career paths involve the physical sciences, Mrs. Forster, the very first of biology's thirty eight branches is anatomy.  Studying it-"  She began with perfect poise and a social grace that immediately owned the whole room, well, almost the whole room.

"I'd like to study your anatomy." Came an interuption whose location became indeterminable through the laughter and snickering.

When Marissa snapped her head around to investigate the room there was an awkward moment every student in the class, including the culprit knew they were dead meat.  Marissa's veneer of perfect princess facade faded for only a moment, but Forster saw the girl for exactly what she was: evil.  The glare she gave the class silenced them like a furious mother about to hand out beatings at a big box super market to her load of misbehaving children.  Normally, that would have been all that intimidating, Marissa was, after all, one girl.  Her Shine, however, descended down upon them like a thunderbolt and suddenly Marissa carried with her an undeniable presence that demanded their horseplay cease.  Mrs. Forster didn't seem all to affected by it (after all, it was directed more at the class) but she saw enough to know that Marissa was more than the gracious princess she led others to believe.

"Are we finished?"  Marissa asked the class.  "Hmm?  Because I do believe I was talking and someone decided to be rude."  They all sat in silence, a few swallowing hard.  None of them, however, dared rat on the one who interrupted her.  To do so was a death sentence for that guy and no one wished that on anyone... what Marissa didn't do, Devin, her brother and protector, would certainly finish.

"I-I'm sure who ever that was," Terry Cox stuttered, feeling ashamed for the guy who interrupted (how did that work?).  "Is really sorry, Marissa.  Y-you were mentioning anatomy?"  She finished, hoping Marissa would take the hint and move past this moment.

She did, and she hid her crazy well.  Like nothing had happened she spun gaze right back to Mrs Forster (complete with a hair whip) and continued.  "Sorry, Mrs. Forster.  I hope you don't take that example of immaturity as a statement that speaks of entire student body.  As I was saying; anatomy.  The study of anatomy along with an understanding homeostasis, knowing and understanding how my body reacts to things like exercise and dietary needs, as well as destressors, has helped me understand my body and how it works so that I may continue to live healthy both physically and emotionally."

Did she believe any of that?  Hell no.  It was a text book answer to sell a teacher she was convinced already was not what she seemed.  Between Dr. Cook, and Eddy and the slew of other absurdities going on on the daily around Shelly, a sudden teacher swap was sketch as hell.  Politely she sat back down, taking care to straighten her skirt again and crossed her legs, waiting for someone else to be called upon.

Fear.  That's the first thing that came to grip the young teen as the realization of here he was sunk in.  Devin played a hard game, sure.  He was brave, quite the daredevil, and was never really good at backing down, but here was in an alternate reality of death and misery... and he was alone.  Only a complete idiot or a fool wouldn't feel some measure of fear at the thought of having to survive a sojourn to a place like this on one's own.

He took a deep breath to collect himself, closed his eyes, and went for the obvious solution first.  It ws like a horror movie in the bathroom all of a sudden and his body suddenly convulsed in a spasm of rapid teleportations all over the place.  He blinked in and out his form nothing more than a waver and a blur, like a television with bad reception.  And the sound... each 'pop' of air sounded more like horrible audio reception with the squelch on full.  He lost control and was flung about the room maybe thirty or forty times in the span of a few seconds before coming to a halt as he was thrown against the wall near the entrance.

Everything hurt.  Whatever just happened, all those jaunts at once, his muscles felt like he was in the middle of full on flu and had been up all night vomiting.  His core ached and it hurt to move.  "Ow."  He mumbled as he stood up, using the wall for support, and took a moment to collect himself.

"At some point," he grumbled too whatever entity might be listening.  "A guy starts to feel picked on.  Who was I in a past life?  Hitler?"  Wincing again at the pain as he stood up straight he collected his thoughts.  "Okay... that didn't work.  I need to find the weakness.  The rift.  A spot in the veil I can hop through, like in the woods... think Dev... think..."

He slung his pack over his shoulder and peeked his head out from the rest rooms entrance, scanning for Ginasaurs.  "Somewhere positive... it can't hold me if I find the good feels... right?"  He realized there was no one around to answer him... but where in Shelly High were people not miserable (certainly wasn't biology)...

21 hours ago, Marissa Jauntsen said:

When Marissa snapped her head around to investigate the room there was an awkward moment every student in the class, including the culprit knew they were dead meat.  Marissa's veneer of perfect princess facade faded for only a moment, but Forster saw the girl for exactly what she was: evil.  The glare she gave the class silenced them like a furious mother about to hand out beatings at a big box super market to her load of misbehaving children.  Normally, that would have been all that intimidating, Marissa was, after all, one girl.  Her Shine, however, descended down upon them like a thunderbolt and suddenly Marissa carried with her an undeniable presence that demanded their horseplay cease.

It was funny, a small part of Jason's brain wryly observed, how different people viewed the same thing.

Beside him, Sean sympathetically flinched in tandem with the rest of the students in the class at Marissa's imperious scolding, pulling his attention almost guiltily away from where he'd been - albeit less grossly blatantly than some of the male population - ogling Ms Forster.  Jase had been aware that his friend was staring at his mother, registering a kind of wry detached amusement as he imagined Sean's face when he told him.  Whereas Sean, and the other guys and some of the girls, probably, had been eyeing a surprisingly hot substitute teacher, Jason saw only his neglectful biological parent, the woman who had abandoned him and now had been possibly brought to Shelly by enemy or enemies unknown to somehow exert influence or sow confusion on him.

And whereas Sean, and the other students saw their Wrathful Queen ready to strike down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger...  Jason beheld love.

She was stunning, challenging, haughty and full of fire.  Jase couldn't be cowed, or scared - but he could be impressed or struck with awe and (not for the first time) Marissa Jauntsen had impressed him.  She always had, really.  Ever since he'd first seen her when the Jauntsens had moved to Shelly.  That he knew she was capable of fear and terror simply gave her fierce poise more impact.  Of course this would be the nature of her Shine: the projection of her personality taken to a compelling extreme.  She stirred him as no-one else could - which could not be normal at all, any more than Cade speaking to animals or Lilly being able to dent steel with her bare fists.

His brain being his brain, he registered all of this in the first few seconds, processed it, stored the image of her dark eyes snapping with regal fire in his mental palace (in a place of high honor in the main hall), and enjoyed the effect she had on the others.  He didn't hear birds singing or music playing.  What he heard was the answering call to her roar of dominance, a rumble of approval from deep in the fiery darkness of his soul, beyond the icy crystalline construct of his thoughts.  Even as he registered that, he analysed the sensation, this new thing not entirely carnal and not entirely cerebral.  Like / respect / desire / lust.  Was that love?  It wasn't a chemically induced, daydream-like crush - he could still think clearly, there was no pink haze such as was described in various works on the matter.  It was appreciation of her as a being that flared and shone in his sight.

And yeah, he also wanted to 'appreciate' her all night long.  He was a high-functioning psychopath, not a eunuch.  Plus that hair flip was adorable.

And yeah, she hated him right now.  It was a good thing he didn't get depressed or sad, or he'd be miserable, he noted with a wry quirk of his lips.

The only outward sign that any of this was taking place was that slight smile and Jason's intent gaze resting on Marissa, the copper flecks in the pale green depths seeming to brighten as he watched her resume her seat after the facile explanation of her interest in Biology.  Some of it might even have been true - perhaps most of it, to a degree.  But as with most things Marissa, there were layers of complexity to the construct.

Something else he privately added to his reasons for enjoying her presence, as he waited to be called upon by Ms Forster.

Sean had been developing a new respect for Devin, if not over all the shit he'd put him through the last few years, and as his twin, Sean was trying to grant a modicum of that to Marissa. If he didn't hate her, he still didn't like her. But God Damn, if Marissa didn't have it. Sean didn't feel Jason's cerebral infatuation, but he couldn't help but feel the impressed awe and increased wariness most of the rest of the class did. And not a little envy that he wouldn't ever admit to anyone. He might have been getting better at retorting against harassing comments and behaviour, getting them to shut up, and maybe even having his or her friends laughing at their expense.

But Marissa had cowed the entire class with a glare and, like, two sentences. The reverberations of that glare would probably stop anyone from making a crass comment about Marissa into next week - well, if she didn't decide to spit her venom all over someone, Sean supposed - and he never seen a hair whip be so... emphatic before. Sean wished he know how to do that, at least a little bit. Not the hair whip - his hair wasn't nearly long enough, nor did he intend that it ever would - but the ability to utterly silence a catcaller that he practically choked on the regret, and made everyone around him feel for sorry for him.

Ms. Forster gave Marissa a slight nod, giving her the point, even if she didn't seem to believe her answer anymore than Marissa did. Her unprofessional smirk didn't waver as she surveyed the rest of the almost unnaturally quiet class. "Well, come on, no one else willing to step up next? Aren't you all supposed to think you're immortal at this age? I didn't expect my class to be so... demure. Very well." She picked up a clip with attendance and seating chart on it. Her brows rose at some of the notes Mr. Carlson had made for her convenience. Her smirk widened a trifle. "How about you, Sean Cassidy? Why did you decide to take biology"

Sean gave a small start from comparing Ms. Forster to Mrs. Jauntsen, which lead to comparing Mrs. Jauntsen to Marissa in her terrifying and glorious ire, showing off her legs in the too short pleated skirt. Not for the first time, he could barely believe Misti Jauntsen had a daughter like Marissa.

Sean had taken biology pretty much for the easy science credit, but he couldn't admit that to Ms. Forster and her appraising gaze and her faint smirk. He knew new subs got notes on his unique condition, so he was treated appropriately, with varying success, along with any sudden new substitute teacher being suspicious to one degree or another. He also wasn't about to stand up to answer when his cargo pants were feeling two sizes too small at the moment.

"I've learned a fair bit reading my own medical file and researching on my own to understand what it all meant," Sean said, straightening up in his desk, his voice clear and sweet, though his odd eyes had darted about for a moment when caught with his attention wondering. "But with my slew of genetic quirks..." There was a faint snicker at the back of the class, but no one dared to shout out again after just being so succinctly lambasted by Marissa. Sean's cheeks reddened faintly, but he didn't look around and his voice stayed steady. "... I figured having a basic foundation in biology would help in understanding how and why my genetics developed as they did... And it looked like an easy science credit."

"Ahh, youthful honesty."  Ms Forster smirked, her blue eyes studying Sean with a flash of wry, dispassionate humour in their depths.  There was a faint rustle from the class and one or two amused coughs.  "No, no.  I like honesty in my students.  Do try to separate your own condition from your studies, however.  A scientist that becomes too personally invested in the outcome of a path of study starts to see patterns where there are none, or disregard data that is actually important - The phenomenon of which is commonly known as what, Mr Bannon?"  The question had lashed out with quiet whip-like speed as her eyes turned to the lean form sprawling in the chair next to Sean's, narrowing slightly.

"Confirmation bias, the inclination to seek out and favor data that supports pre-held beliefs or an emotionally-invested hypothesis."  Jason had been studying Marissa's profile, but didn't even blink as he answered.  His  gaze now shifted to meet his mother's as he went on.  "It can even lead to interpreting as favorable or unfavorable results - or situations - that are in fact ambiguous, simply to prop up the observer's point of view."  His head tilted to one side and he smiled very slightly.  "A certain amount of discipline is needed to maintain intellectual integrity, because some errors can be very costly or, indeed, irreversible in the damage they can do." he paused, then added almost as an afterthought.  "To the process, I mean."

Ms Forster did not blink either, but there was a flicker of something in her gaze.  It might have been approval, or anger, or disdain.  It wasn't amusement, that much was certain.  "And why do you want to study Biology, Mr Bannon?"

"I'm looking to get into Human Anatomy, Zoology and Med Prep by the end of the next semester."  he answered without any hesitation or shifting of his gaze.  There was a faint shifting of asses on seats and some exchanged looks amongst the other students.

"That's an... ambitious academic plan."  Forster returned, smiling a little now, head tilting to one side as she considered him.

"Perhaps.  But I'll need them - I can hardly show up to intern at the Medical Center in senior year saying 'Trust me, I already know this stuff.'  Some bona fides will be required."  Bannon replied evenly, his head also tilting slightly to one side - though he was not smiling.

"Looking to get into medicine."  she mused, nodding.  "Any particular area."

"I've always been fascinated by Diagnostics."  he replied, a faint smile now curving his lips.  She studied him carefully.

"So why Zoology?"

"Because I find it personally interesting, and because I can."

"My, this will be an interesting class to teach." she smiled broadly, glancing at the rest of the students.  "Thank you, Mr Bannon.  Now, let's see... Who shall I pick on next...?"  Her blue eyes caught a whispering girl.  "Well volunteered, that girl." she smirked, pointing at Lori Heath...

Jaunt

Devin stepped into the hall he was so familiar with in the other side, but here, not so much. The layout was the same, but the condition was post-apocalyptic/midnight horror show: the floor was uneven with strange humps and ripples, as if the earth underneath were trying to break through, the tiles were filthy and cracked. The walls were damp and moldy, the lockers rusted, their doors hanging bent and useless if they were even there, most were simply missing.

There was little light coming in from the high placed windows which were miraculously still intact but filthy blocking the blue sunlight,  the overhead electric lights also worked but intermittently making the shadows squirm and crawl with each flicker.

The air was humid and smelled cloyingly sweet and it was the only thing which wasn’t un[pleasant about this horrible place, and that made Devin very nervous. A sound intruded, a click clacking like Devin had never heard before click-clack, click-clack, shuffle, clack-clack, then a pause then it repeated. The sound came from deeper into the building from the lunchroom Devin thought.

He slowly moved to his right, away from the sound, and came to the hall junction. He peered both ways to the left a portion of the ceiling had caved in, water or something dripping in and pooling on the floor. The wreckage was blocking that way. To the right Devin saw the Office and the glass front entrance, dim bluish light leaking through the filth.

Mari had told him that when they were up at the camp on this side that the cars had been there. If things were the same his bike and her car should be here as well.

Behind him there was a crash and the click-clacking grew louder as if whatever it was had left the lunchroom and was now in the halls.

Biology Class

One by one the rest of the students muddled and muttered their way through the new teachers request, with no further interruptions. Mari had payed no attention or at least appeared not to, to the rest of the kids. Devin wasn’t returning her texts. He was in History, a subject he was very good at and probably knew more about that Mrs Gibbons. And they always kept up a text conversation during class.

She had just sent her fifth message to him when a shadow blocked the light, she looked up to find Ms Forster looking down at her texting. That, in itself, was a shock. She realized she was worried about her brother and hadn’t notice the teacher noticing her using her phone something she was a master at covering up. Despite being caught Mari simply looked up at Ms Forster.

“Marissa, I’d like to talk to you after class please,” she said, then walk on down the isle while the kids kept droning on.

Spoiler

I left the biology class time frame open so any of you could post in the thread with out feeling restrained by time. If no one posts i will move it on in a second post later.

"Of course, Mrs. Forster."  Marissa replied eloquently and yet blatantly uncaring of the fact she'd just been caught.  Her brother was 'missing' and that bothered her.  Even when he was sulking or brooding, as teenage boys were wont to do, he would at least send a reply, something to just let her know he was safe.  Especially these days, more than ever, they needed to stay in touch.

She sighed, worried, and set her phone face down.  The moment she did, her smart watch vibed a pulse on her wrist.  She looked a her wrist.

Lacey Heath: //Hey, Mari.  Lilly Pryor said you and Jason Bannon had a thing going.  When did you start dating?//

Did she now?  Marissa seethed internally.  It was one thing to have a problem with her.  Mari could go her whole life and not say a single word to Lilly and find her years enriched for the better, but spreading rumors?  The twins were content to leave bygones bygones and for the most part they avoided the Nerd Herd and didn't speak to them if it could be helped.  The last thing she expected was prim and prissy Lilly Pryor to turn around and vengefully spread rumors the following Monday all because of what?  No one followed her out of a barn after she threw a hissy fit?  Some people.  She filed away destroying the Juice Tart's life for now and focused on the problem.

Marissa: //Jason Bannon and I do not have a 'thing'.  I do not date.  I do not 'hook up'.  I know him.  We've talked.  We're acquainted.  Now, since when has my personal life been the concern of anyone in this school but me?//

Lacey Heath: //Wait, so you're not dating him?  Is he available?  Lori really wants to go to Homecoming with him, but is too shy to ask.  Lilly said she'd talk to him, but... if you're closer to him, could you?  Please?  Pretty please?//

Marissa's face twisted into an evil grin.  Oh, this was too delicious.  Lori Heat wanted Jason?  He'd ruin her for all men for the rest of her life.  She was all in.  The problem though was that Lacey was tugging the one string Marissa seemed to have: she was, under all the rage of the storm, a hopeless romantic, like her brother.  If Lori really wanted her chance, Marissa was honestly glad to help her out.

Marissa:  //No promises, but if Lilly isn't timely about talking with him about it, I'll ask on her behalf.  Lilly's known him longer, I'd prefer to let her deal with him first.//

Lacey Heath:  //You're the best!  Anything she needs to know?//

Marissa smirked and tapped a response.

Just a moment later, from the far corner of the class came an audible gasp and Lacey Heath said, as her face turned a beat red, "Oh, my god."  Realizing everyone just heard that she snickered to herself and set her phone down quickly.  Slowly, after a few moments, she tipped her phone back enough to see again what Marissa had sent her:

Spoiler

🍆

The sound was getting closer.  He was running out of time and he knew it.  His heart thundered in his chest like a drum ready to burst from his ribcage and summon everything to him with it's loud, fearful rhythm.  He didn't need to keep thinking about it.  He needed to move.  His phone didn't work here, he knew that, it couldn't broadcast... but it could play.  He slipped his earbuds in and they immediately auto started his playlist.  Devin held his smart watch to his mouth.  "Bixby.  Take me home."

The thunder of drums matched his heartbeat and he nodded his head to the new rhythm he looked behind him and saw the shadows creeping and stretching along the walls.  He smirked and said quietly.  "You want me?  Work for it.  This is my school, bitch.  You're just a tourist."  He pulled his hood up and he his sneaker squeaked on the damp floor and he took off.

He hit the debris from the fallen ceiling with both hands and with a hand spring vault cleared in in less than second and never broke stride as he continued on.  The faster movement and squeaks of shoes lured whatever was stalking him out and it screeched in anger as its prey played hard to get.  It tore off after Devin, slamming into the debris and getting caught as it puled and crushed it's way through the fallen wreckage.  Devin might not be able to teleport out of The Thunder... but he could teleport in The Thunder.  His mind was still connected to the school, he knew the lay of the land, and when the beast lashed out at him the shift in the air sent Devin's spatial location off and dropped into a slide on the slick, wet floor of the school.

The world slipped into an awesome slow motion scene as he smirked while the tentacle/tongue of the beast shot over him and snapped back into its mouth.   He shifted to his back and kipped up, regaining his stride and the world seemed to slow again as he did a no handed cartwheel, bringing his legs of the ground in time to avoid the lashing tentacle/tail that slipped through the debris and swiped at him in an attempt to grab him while he was on the floor.  The world sped up and Devin spun about the corner, not looking back.

The 'demon' wailed in the darkness and shadows as it lamented choosing this kid out of all of them to steal away in to The Thunder, because he was going to have to work for it.  With aggravated wails and thrashing the beast slammed and smashed through the wreckage.  Even through his music Devin could hear the beast smashing through, but he did stop running.

He couldn't stop running.

Devin tore around the corner, slowing to a skip and a hop to keep himself from losing his footing on the slick the ground.  He bounced up and down a few times like a boxer in the ring to keep his momentum flowing and his field of vision caught a glimpse of the massive beast tearing through the barricade.  His eyes grew wide and there wasn't enough music in the world to quiet his heart rate.

The switch in his brain flipped, and survival became his main, and only, focus.  "Oh, fuck.  My.  Life!"

He turned and burned.  He had to stay ahead of this thing.

Biology

The rest of the hour went by uneventful and quickly, Mari stayed at her desk as the rest of the kids trundled out Sean and Jason were some of the last to exit, Sean talking about something on his phone to which Jason was paying skant attention in stead as the approached the door he let his gaze linger on Marissa but she deemed not to notice. 

Then Mari and Ms Forster were alone. Both sat atthe desks a moment regarding each other then Mari got up gathered her books and approached the teacher. 

"You wanted to see me?" Marissa figured she was about to get the don't use your phone in class lecture. But that wasn't the case.

"I liked your answer it was well thought out and even better delivered, but we both know it was bullshit. I liked the Cassidy freaks honesty, I want that from you from now on. Honesty.

I don't know these kids and I don't know this town, not any more, which means I do not know the parents of these kids. That can often lead to misunderstandings. So I want you to be my Teachers Aid. You have a study period fifth hour I am going to have that changed to a TA assignment to my class. Since your already here for first I'll give you a second TA credit for that hour as well."

The Otherside

The thing freaked Devin out and scared the shit out of him He ran down another hall and stopped. He didn't hear the thing, briefly he wondered if he had lost it then he looked both ways at the intersection of hallways and stopped again. Shit, he almost said it out loud. He looked both ways and shook his head.

Everything is where it's supposed to be. Exactly where it was supposed to be, not flipped left to right like it had been before. 

This wasn't the same place

Terror gripped his heart, then his phone vibrated. 

//Science #3, go!//

1 hour ago, WS ST said:

"I liked your answer it was well thought out and even better delivered, but we both know it was bullshit. I liked the Cassidy freaks honesty, I want that from you from now on. Honesty."

There were ways to summon demons from the bowels of the Infinite Abyss that involved long, drawn out rituals and sacrifices and offerings to dark powers.  The simplest way though?  Ask Marissa Jauntsen for her honesty.  "Cassidy was full of shit."  Marissa said bluntly.  "That kid isn't interested in understanding his genetic condition, he's only interested in talking about it and flaunting it every opportunity he gets because he's a sniveling little attention whore who gets off on wearing women's clothing.  That's why he has his sister dress him up like her personal Barbie doll and tries to giggle it away as a bet he never had any intentions of winning.  He's pathetic.  I mean, it's current year and I totally accept his transvestite lifestyle, I mean, you do you, right?"

"Seriously, this town is only three thousand people and he's lived here his whole life, everyone knows about his condition and, spoiler alert, no one cares! Yet he claims he can't take two steps without getting cat called?  Puh-lease.  Me, and I can name a list of at least ten other girls, who are way hotter than him, walk in public all the time and we never get cat called at all so he's obviously just placing himself in situations where he can continue to garner sympathy and pity and attention for his condition or he's making it up.  Okay, the peer group is a bit rough, but he did offer to expose himself to another student, which is a crime, so honestly I think the kid has serious issues piled on top of genetic mutations.  I'm from California, I know intersexed people, we were doing it before his special snowflake ass thought it was cool, and even they tell me he is like a walking Ru-Paul's Drag Race and every episode of keeping up with the Kardashians all rolled into one:  total drama that will suck away minutes of your life you can never have back."  She finally paused and folded her arms, resting her weight on one leg.  "Honest enough for you?"

"Dear, God child," Mrs. Forster leaned back in her chair and folded her arms as well.  "You're like a tornado of words searching for the trailer parks in everyone's soul."

Marissa help but smile at the compliment.  "Maybe I misjudged you, Mrs. Forster.  Thanks for the job, I'll see you tomorrow."  Marissa spun about with a twirl of her skirt that really could afford a twirl today, and walked out from the classroom.

"Marissa," Mrs. Forster called back to her.  Again the teenage fashonista spun about to address her teacher.  Mrs. Forster smiled.  "Cute skirt."

Marissa beamed with pride and joined the ocean of madness that were the halls between classes.

1 hour ago, WS ST said:

//Science #3, go!//

Devin looked at his phone and looked around him.  The school seemed still.  Water seemed to dribble and he could hear the odd rustle of the breeze through the shattered structure of ruins that in another dimension was a center for learning, and getting high behind equipment shed during lunch, but mostly learning.  The glow of his phone's screen was eerie in the pale blue shadows of the... he wasn't in the Thunder.  The Thunder was a reverse, a mirror of the world he lived in... this place was... different.  Or was it just the school?

He had been lost in thought and sudden darkness of his screen shutting off on its own lured him back into his sudden predicament.  He pressed the button on the side of his phone and the screen lit right up with the text message again.  "Science #3."  He mumbled softly.  He looked to the heavens, speaking to whatever god might be listening.  "Yeah, because you've done a bang up job of being cool to me so far..."

Science 3 wasn't too far away, shorter if he could teleport there, but only short hops were possible.  Dodges and evasions, maybe, and he had to conserve his strength.  Something about this place ate away at his energy when he tried use his powers.  He was going to have to make in on foot, but he was tired.  That teleporting mishap in the bathroom was like being wrung through a meat grinder... everything hurt and he was running on pure adrenaline and fear.  He could only live on chicken so long before your body craved a steak... he had maybe one good burst left in him.  It was go time.

"When I get there, there better some super fine chick with tits like... and an ass like... I'm just saying... because this?  This right here?  This is some buuuuull shit."  He pressed on and every muscle in his body tightened like thousands of strings were wrapped around him, cutting off circulation.  The aches were starting.  The adrenaline was wearing off.  He took a few deep breaths, spat, and pressed on.  His loogie dripped down the wall and he didn't notice it as he staggered away but it was more blood than saliva.  Something in that uncontrolled jaunt tore him apart inside.

"What do you think Ms Forster wanted with Marissa?"  Sean asked Jase as they walked away from Biology, the bustling kids diverting around the brooding lanky shape of his friend.  The answer was a grunt.  Sean looked sideways and upwards at Jason's face, which was currently expressionless, his eyes distant.  Sean was not oblivious - there had been what his grandma would have called 'an atmosphere' in the classroom when Jason and Ms Forster had had their exchange.  He wondered what it might be due to - Forster was new, and Jason didn't know her.  Or did he?

"Too much to ask that it was to call her on her Strawberry Bullshitcake act."  Sean muttered, mostly to himself.  It irked him how dumb the adults were that they couldn't see that Marissa was a phony who was laughing at their stupidity from the other side of her smile.  He wasn't sure if that was due the principle of the thing or due to envy that she got away with it, though.  "Hey, I'll see you later."  he said to Jase as they reached Sean's next classroom, his friend giving him a nod and smile before heading onward.  His own next class was only twenty yards away.

Marissa

Mari went straight to Devin’s locker ignoring the cows and sheep filling the hallway. Her brother had not answered her texts once, I swear, she thought, if his phone is off.

She waited at his locker and texted him again then Tawny walked up.

“Hey, Marissa, you seen Devin?”

“No I have not and it’s making me a little Irate…”

“He was seen walking little Miss Cassidy to first period,” cooed Courtney as she slid in behind Marissa all smiles and cheer as if she was still besties with Marissa.

“Laurelei Cassidy?”

Courtney grinned at the look one Tawney’s face. “That would be the one.”

Mari didn’t say anything just texted

//Laurelei Cassidy second period? Now please//

In a blink of an eye an answering text flashed on her screen.

//Algebra, Mr Dell.//

The Other Place

Devin went as fast and quietly as he could he was hurting now and exhausted more so than he should have been. Somewhere behind him and some distance away he could here it again but it wasn’t close he found Science #3 and ducked into the room and froze.

Fuck, this is the science lab!

Spoiler

The Science Lab  lab-refurbishments-by-Innova-Design-Solutions.jpg

As if on que a loud crash and unearthly howling wail reverberated from the hallway outside the door.

The creature had found him.

5 hours ago, WS ST said:

//Algebra, Mr Dell.//

Marissa was off like a rabid hound set loose on a ginger fox.  Her skirt swayed and dared more than a few eyes as she passed through the halls in a swift, regal stride that denoted someone was about to lose their head.  Everyone knew that look on her face.  She was hunting for someone and looking to crush a spirit, to grind a good day into powder for they were the weak and she was the wicked.

Finding Cassidy was no difficult task, she just followed the scent of cheap shampoo and faint scent of desperation that read she was going to die alone in a small apartment filled with cats and her computer games while she collected disability checks for a thyroid problem she didn't really have but she needed someway to make ends meet after she had a complete mental breakdown in college because someone addressed with the improper pronoun.  What?  Marissa is a vivid thinker.

Laurie was resting against the lockers outside the class, sliding swiping through her phone, knowing the only reason Marissa asked was because she felt the need to come by and hara-

Marissa stopped like the roadrunner in heels, violating way more than a bit of Laurie's personal space.  "Aw, Amazon-ing a new skirt to dress your brother up in?  Adorable.  Now where's my fucking brother?"

Bingo.  Called it.  Laurie sighed and rolled her eyes.  "Back up off me, Kardashizard."  She took a few steps away.  Marissa looked worried, and it was rare that the Queen of Shelly looked anything other than in one hundred percent in control of her crazy.  Laurie kind of admired her for that.  "Last I saw him he walked me to class last period."

"You sure, hon?"  Tawny asked.  "Because he's not replying to any texts.  He say he was ditching, or anything?"

"Nope," Laurie shook her head.  "Thought it was just me.  He's not replying to me either."

Tawney folded her arms and 'harumphed' in thought.  "Do you think he lost his phone?"

Both the girls looked at her like she'd just proclaimed Santa Clause was real.

Laurie blew out the air she had been breathing when Tawny said what she said and blew their minds."Yeahh." She put a hand on Marissa's arm

"I think he jaunted," she said using the term she had been using for his teleportation, not know how much, if any Tawny knew or comprehended.

Tawny giggled at the word, "Jaunted," repeating it.

"He may have gone on a scouting trip."

Mari gave Laurie a look which made the young redhead grimace and shrug apologetically, "To New Zealand."

5 hours ago, WS ST said:

The creature had found him.

Devin was tired.  Scared.  Hurting.  Sweat beaded on his forehead as his tee shirt clung to his body from the sweat and chill from the damp air.  The lab was empty.  There was no portal back, no tear in the World Veil that would send him home.  There was nothing more than rotted, darkened and tainted lab equipment and tables.  He could see his breath he panted and tried to take a moment to gather in his surroundings.  He looked to his phone.  Nothing.

He was going to die here.

The creature wailed and screeched far down the corridor.  He looked up again.  "Well, I'm here."  He waited a moment for his phone to vibrate.  Nothing.  He could feel himself about to break emotionally, but he fought hard to keep it back.  "Oh, come on!"  He said in a loud whisper.  "What do you want from us!  If you're going to help... then fucking help.  This cryptic message shit... it might work in the clubs PTB, but that shit isn't flying here!  That thing is going to hunt me down and it's going to kill me.  Now why the hell did you send me here!?"

Nothing.

"Fine."  He said.  "Because I'm not a genius.  I'm not an olympic athlete or that guy with no personality who's good ant blending into the background and staying ignored.  I'm not a psycho.  Okay?  Whoever the hell you are..."  He hunkered down and crawled under the table, resting his back and pulling his knees in close to his chest wile tightening his hoodie around him.  "I'm not crazy fearless, or going to suddenly produce a shotgun and stand my ground because I finally think I seem relevant... I'm just a kid.  Scared.  Hurting.  Tired..."

A snort echoed through the hallway just outside the lab.  He could hear the crab-like legs of the beast tick and clack on the ground, cracking the floor tiles to pull its bulky, misshapen form along the passageway.  He quietly waited, scared and huddled up as the massive Lovecraftian afterbirth slithered past the lab and away from his hiding spot.  This was it.  He was going to die here.  He took out his phone and slid it to the texting app where to bean tapping everyone in the Fellowship, and Marissa and Tawny.  This was the final word.  The text that leave behind in hopes that they would find it and understand why never came home and hope they could picture with vivid clarity his awesome slow motion moment and capture it for the movie deal.

He chuckled at that, but it was time to be serious... because he wasn't coming home.  He sighed and thumbs prepared to send his final farewells when he recieved a text.

//GAS//

He looked at his phone and shook his head, confused.  "What?  Seriously?  You lured me here and left me hanging because you had to go take a shit?"

//😕//

"You're confused?" he shook his head.

//GAS//

"The fuck you mea-" Science Lab.  Every school based horror movie in the genre used the the old science lab trick.  "Ooooooh... use the gas to burn this sumbitch..."

//🔥 👍//

"Goddamn I'm good."  he smiled wickedly, suddenly reinvigorated.  He didn't feel any better, he was still in a lot of pain... but hope had a way of making a person look past their limits.

//🙄//

Quietly he stepped out from his hiding place and looked around.  Now he saw it.  Now he had a plan so the things needed for that plan seemed to pop out at him.  Some rubber hose, a few zipties, and every gas lever in the room, ready to roll...  He quickly got to work, knowing the beast was only a few minutes away from circling back.  Gas.  Igniting gas caused a chain reaction, but it was quickly consumed... only a second or so for the ignition and heat to be consumed.  Fire roiled.  It didn't fill.  Thank you, Shelly High.  He kicked on every gas nozzle and tilted them to face the doorway, save for the one in the far end of the class room, where he loosely zip tied the hose, leaving it loose on one end, and left the hose to rest in the sink.  It was gonna stink, but only for a moment.  The room needed to fill.  All the way.  This was so fucking stupid.

//😟//

He looked at his phone.  "Chill.  I got this.  I'm the fucking king of stupid ideas."

The creature slithered back.  He could hear it clacking its talons into the floor.  He stood on the far end of the room, away from the door.  Just in view, but far enough away that the fucker would have to work for it.  It slithered past the door and stopped, lurching its 'head' to peer into the room it saw Devin standing there, out in the open and making no effort to run.  Devin made two jerking motions at his crotch then opened his hand like he was offering the beast the spider's web.  It howled and wailed and tore through the doorway, getting stuck for only a moment as it forced it's bulk through the frame.

"Hey!"  Devin yelled at it.  It actually paused like it heard and understood him.  "You smell that?  No, of course you don't... because you have an asshole where your nose should be!"  It howled at him and put more strength into forcing itse;f through the doorway... Devin waited, narrowing his eyes to catch the fucker at just... the right...

//🍿//

Half of it was through and he smiled and raised a metal flint torch lighter.  The beast paused again, a single spark in intellect warning it only too late.  "Flame on, shit-strudel."  He clicked the torch lighter and the whole room went up in a glorious ball of magnificent flame with all the nozzles pointing toward the creature.

So... where was Devin?  He knew he had one last jaunt left in him, but he had nowhere to go.  So he chose to go home.  Just like when he arrived he willed himself to go home and The Thunder punished him for it.  He blinked out as the room erupted and while the world burned he was catapulted across all four corners of the lab, not quite there and not quite solid.  He teleported so swiftly that he wasn't physically in the room long enough for the heat and the fire to seriously injure him.  While the beast cried out in agony and was scorched from head to... other ugly parts, Devin was flung about the world in a non-state before being cast back out where he'd started, on the far end of the room.

His hand slapped the top of the teacher's desk.  With what little strength he had left, he pulled himself up.  His clothes were smoking, he was covered in smoke and looked a complete mess.  His eyes were bloodshot and before he'd fully composed himself he hurled up and coughed blood all over the desk.  It dribbled down from his lips and down his chin.  His eyes were heavy and it looked like he was going to collapse... he was held together now by sheer will and dumb luck.

The creature convulsed... it shuttered and pulled it's twisted, burning flesh up as best it could.  Both of them seemed like fighters in the fifteenth round... barely able to even raise their gaurd and at this point it was anyone's fight.  With a stagger, Devin fell into the table, his hand slapping down the nozzle to the gas he reached into the sink and fastened to the nozzle, pulling the ziptie taught to keep it in place.  The rubber would burn fast, but for a few moments he'd have a solid, steady stream of fire...

His breathing was heavy.  Every part of him felt like it was shattered... but if he was going to die here, he was going to make it work for it.  "S'wrong?  Didn't know a dog with rabies was up in the cut?  That?  Whole... fire thing?  Oh, bruh... that's not even the dumbest shit I got planned for today... welcome to my world, it just goes down here form here."

The Not World

Thack-qwip-thack

The creature jerked and convulsed again half turned before folding and flying to the room where it slammed into a counter with bone crunching force it struggled to rise but a new thing stepped into the room and raised it's arm in it's hand some sort of hi-tech crossbow the size of a large hand gun. 

Thack-qwip-Thack 

A six inch bolt buried itself into a hump oh the back of the monsters neck along side the first arrow and the monster died.

Devin coughed and blood splattered his lips the armored figure  a woman Devin saw from the way the chest was shaped came toward him. the Crossbow folding up into a space in the armors forearm.

It, She knelt down and produce what looked like a star trek hypospry from a pouch and held it to Devins neck.....

1 hour ago, Laurelei 'Laurie' Cassidy said:

Mari gave Laurie a look which made the young redhead grimace and shrug apologetically, "To New Zealand."

Marissa's face was one of pure irritation as she looked at the soulless Cassidy girl.  "New Zealand?"  She asked the question in the tone that demanded an answer from someone even though she already knew it.  "And just why would my brother have any interest in New Zealand, Cassidy?"

"For real," Tawny said.  Looking at her phone she'd looked up the cost of airline tickets.  "It's a red eye flight out of Great Falls, what the heck is going on?"

"She doesn't know?"  Laurie point to Tawny while looking at Marissa.

"Apparently not," Marissa replied, looking at Tawny the whole time and speaking in a uncaring tone.

"Christ," Laurie folded her arms, now irritated herself.  "That just like him to leave others to clean up his messes."

"Right!?"  Marissa replied in complete agreement, which caused both of the ladies to pause and make eye contact for a brief moment as they awkwardly realized that somewhere, the occurrence resulted in either an angel getting its wings, or losing them.

"Tawny, no time to explain," Marissa said.  "You know my brother almost as well I do.  Assume he's doing something stupid, and we'll fill you in later."

"Fair enough," the perky blond tucked her phone away.  "He can't have gotten far though," she didn't notice the look Laurie and Marissa gave each other.  "I mean, how much trouble can one guy get into on his own?"

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unlocked this topic
  • GDP_ST unpinned this topic

Archived