DR: OOC

The Story Guide

Hey all, this is my account for Kyria. Character sheet bits are in the signature. Kyria's been in a coma in Hereford, England until the first thread. I'm open to character connections to be built once the game starts, so just ask here or in Discord!

Alrighty! I have a character thread template up. You don't have to use the table template, it is a bit finicky. I just was archive delving and came across some old sheets and remembered how much I liked the look of them. I do have a few rules about character sheets, though:

• They need to have a running total XP log like what I have on Kyria.
  • If you're not using the table template, please use numbers or the large dots, not asterisks. It screws with my eyes. 
  • Uh, actually, that it so far!

Let's see those beautiful characters!

Two updates to the character sheet template: Aspirations listed at the top so I can reference them and create opportunities for your character to resolve them, and just above the XP log, a place to record your dots in Paths. Please don't put the actual description/mechanics of the Path here. That can be something you put in your character submission PM thread for reference. I'll eventually get a Paths thread so people can look over paths they might be interested in. I'll update the Society Paths and new Role paths we'll end up getting through the course of play there. 

Updated and expanded on rules: Buyer's Remorse about two thirds of the way down the first Rules post and made separate posts for the three different supers alternate/expanded rules. Also, Talents *will* be getting some expanded rules, I just haven't had a chance to really run through them yet. 

Also: Ryan, Emily, Deezy, Evo, Renata - Get your character sheets in your signatures, please! I don't care if you use the template I threw up, I know the table format is irritating to a number of people. I'll get a non-tabled template thrown up soon. It's super convenient to me to be able to look at what characters are capable of (or not capable of) when crafting scenes/posts. Please do this!

Social threads for those that want them after their plot threads are an option, here's some info for them: 

• Everyone will be put in quarantine by the respective governments unless they hide their new nature (if that's possible) or stay out of a government's reach (looking at Ryan and Emily there). For those in US quarantine, you will all be moved to a single facility on the third day. There's maybe a dozen other people there also under quarantine. It's a large building complex somewhere in the desert, and you'll be taken there by helicopter, not driving. The CDC personnel and soldiers will be nice, even concerned and sympathetic, but firm in boundaries. Not that most of you can't run roughshod over those boundaries if you choose to. People have been allowed to contact family to let them known that they're okay and in quarantine. You all have access to television as your main entertainment - you're not under a news blackout, just a communication one beyond the family phone call.
    • The whole world is in recovery at the moment. Monsters and monstrous weather wreaked havoc on a global scale and governments are scrambling to clean up - and in some cases, still fighting said monsters. Every military in the world is mobilized as the ratio of monsters (whether literal or insane powered people) vs. superheroes is incredibly low. As in nearly 99% monsters of one stripe or another. Those parts of any given military not engaged with subduing said monsters are out in force with humanitarian aide and emergency relief. 
    • Coming out of the UK is a massive amount of information and chatter about Colour Sergeant Steve Nord, with footage of him - shirtless - fighting a giant ice monster. He's being held up right now as the prime example of a real superhero. No one's actually gotten to talk directly to him in the media, but at least the general information of his life is incredibly easy to come by right now. Also the fact that he's single. A red-headed woman is also in the footage flying along with him, but there's likewise really no information about her that doesn't come from the footage itself. 
    • Footage of Deezy's windmills and Lake Eerie's antics are all over the place. No public connection to her and the whole situation has been made, though rumors are floating about less reputable sites. Most give a general description that fits Deezy, none name her directly. Deezy may or may not be in quarantine pending a final conversation in Collateral Damage. 
    • There's actually cellphone footage of Donald and Renata. Yes, some moron stood near zombies to be able to film the exchange and he's talking all about it. An ARK brother, of course. Donald has been identified, Renata has not (unless you have her unmask in the scene - Zombie Dude didn't rip off the hood.) 
    • There's no footage of Emily or Ryan, but plenty of soldiers and sailors making reports and singing their praises. Several scientists have already made public demands to have Ryan and Emily released from quarantine as soon as the CDC declares them safe and not have them disappear into some blacksite indefinitely. 
    • Absolutely nothing has been reported of Eva, save a missing persons by one of her closer friends. But there's a lot of missing, presumed dead all over the country. All over the world. 
  • If you want your PC to have avoided quarantine, talk to me privately and we'll figure out what's going on with them. 
  • Unless you want otherwise, characters will be released from quarantine after one month. This is mostly due to the CDC "leak" that most of those in quarantine have not been shown to be a medical threat, and the media/public outcry against "imprisoning American heroes". PCs are assigned "liaisons" which act as actual liaisons, but also bodyguards, minders, and watchful governmental reporters. Congress has mandated them for those "affected by the Storm and exhibiting unusual abilities - for both the personage affected and public safety". You can make up your PCs minder if you want, or I will when I get a chance. Until then, they're a suit and mirror shades shadowing your PC. 

This set of social threads is meant to cover post-eruption and up to the next three months. Some of these social threads will be run/directed by me to lead into the next plot thread, set for three months after the Storm. Oh, that was on September 19, 2019. I'll be getting a calendar thread going soon that will also have embedded links to threads. It'll likely be a bit since I'm also rl moving right now and I haven't decided exactly what format my calendar is going to have. 

Talk to me if you want to do something that has any sort of large effect on the setting, or if you're stumped for something to write and want to, I'll do my best to make things interesting. 

On 9/7/2019 at 1:03 AM, The Story Guide said:

So, I have a question for those interested in the game. I'm debating having this be an analogue to our Earth with different political figures and a slightly different world state - mostly to avoid acrimonious issues cropping up in regards to politics. Much as I think any of us might like to punch certain politicians or have our PCs make various situations around the globe "right", it leave actual people far too heated for something that's meant to be a fun game.

Am I overthinking this? Do people want to run as just our Earth and then diverge once game starts? Or go with the analogues and have creative freedom to make the game world a little different from the start?

I didn't quite see if this has been answered. I read real quick through all of this thread though. From what I understood, we kept the same Earth for before the Storm. What comes after ? Political changes in-game to allow us to keep our heads cool ?

I don't care much about politics if you ask me, so I can take whatever comes, I'm just being curious here.

After is the game. We'll do timeskips of various lengths to get the changes to world up and revving, but I wanted PCs to be able to have an affect on that. It's currently about two days after the Storm and the initial threads of characters so far was the Storm. Later PCs can have become supernatural after that, but the game started with the Storm so all the PCs so far have "popped" in the Storm.

So, Bastion is one of the few characters I've played in a long time that literally has no skeletons in his closet or in anyway, shape or form has an interesting life before the game started.  That said, I'm open to there being some background drama he's not aware of that the ST can spring on me later.

Maybe he's adopted.

Maybe he and Ein are actually part of cloning project... one was sent to Europe the other to the U.S. (Bastion is so much younger because perfection takes time)

Maybe he's an alien sent to ruin the world like in Brightburn.

Maybe... he's just a kid from Montana.

Point being he'll be easy to mold into whatever the story needs him to be, even a villain if that's what is required.

With all their belongings burned up on the plane.  Sebastian's parents will offer to put up anyone from the plane that survives until they have a change to make arrangements to get their lives back to some semblance of normalcy.  If you don't mind old fashioned country hand me downs, they'll have clean clothes, a place to stay, good food and good ol' Montana hospitality on the Stone horse ranch.

Just an idea, unless Mala had somewhere else to take the story.  This could provide at least a temporary solution for where they go before quarantine and give Zac and Jael a place to crash... so to speak.

Hey, for those in Peers & Pressures, this first part was mostly meant to be for characters to talk with each other and start forming bonds. If people are bored at this point, I can move us forward a week to the point where the main quarantine has been lifted. There's still a "populated areas" quarantine in effect until they make sure that using your powers doesn't spike your radiation levels, make you go nuts/mutate, or the powers themselves don't cause others to go nuts/mutate. That would be montage scenes of people showing off with their powers and seeing how they work with each other. There isn't meant to be deep plot here other than some of the push-pull of people being awed by the super-humans, wanting to control them, and figuring everyone would be better off if you all just disappeared permanently. 

The game seems to have slowed down and I just want to make sure that's not because the social quarantine thread is just boring everyone. ;) Let me know what you guys would prefer, because I can also just wrap up Peers & Pressures and move everyone to the three month jump so you're all loosed on the world and can go from there. 

For those in Angels & Demons: Do you need anything from me? I can add to my last post if there isn't enough actionable info there, or you can just tell me life's swallowed you for a bit and everything is elsewise fine. 

Ein: I promise, I'm getting to you! :P

6 hours ago, The Story Guide said:

For those in Angels & Demons: Do you need anything from me? I can add to my last post if there isn't enough actionable info there, or you can just tell me life's swallowed you for a bit and everything is elsewise fine. 

I've been a bit busy these last days, but I'll work on a post for sure. Looks like weird stuff is happening, I can't miss that.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm getting a bit better of a timeline for our move and just life in general. I'm going to leave Peers & Pressures open for player input until November 3. The thread will lock at 9 AM CST on November 4 and I'll put up a final post as to how it all wraps up - unless the PCs are done with it beforehand, in which case I'll try to do the final NPC/ST post before then. I'll have the State of World thread up by then for what happened during the Storm and the immediate time while you all were in quarantine and few weeks after that. I'll update the State of World as people do things in personal plot threads that would have ripples or splashes on the larger stage. 

After that, I'm going to have the game on personal plot threads until the New Year. You guys will ICly have until Valentine's Day to write about. While I won't be putting up a next plot thread until then, this doesn't mean that I'm not available to run NPCs or for your PCs to do things that affect the game world - just that next ST-driven plot won't start up until early January.

• 3 weeks later...

For clarification of those in Peers & Pressures:
You guys will be let out of quarantine just a little bit after where Peers is now. Literally a meeting with a bureaucrat that'll boil down to "Here's what we were able to do to preserve your privacy while you were here. If you go back to your life you will/won't be able to hide that you're a Stormer. Do you want to go into Witness Protection instead?"

Ryan will be asked if he's up for 'porting people home, otherwise it'll be a little time waiting for mundane transport to Tuscon and then wherever else.

So, I'm upping the monthly XP to 2 XP. 8 months of activity to be able to buy at Quantum dot seems fine. I'm also giving another XP out for Peers. At this point people's XP gains should be:

+2 for October
+2 for November
+1 + Benny from the Storm threads

+2 for Peers for everyone but Steve and Kyria

+1 for Close Quarts for Karrie, Steve, and Kyria
+2 for Assessing Assets for Steve/Kyria

+0-5 XP for Casting Call! 

I'm going to change the point break you get for buying a power with Transcendence. Instead of "half" - because I mucked with the costs - taking a dot of Transcendence lowers the cost of the whatever by -5 XP. This does mean that a character can flat out purchase a Mega/Quantum Edge dot with a dot of Transcendence. I'll even allow multiple tradeouts on a singe thing, like getting a dot of Quantum for "free" by taking 3 dots of Transcendence. Just be careful, this can put your character at risk of Full Transformation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived