Weirder Stuff - Rainbow In The Dark

WS ST

Session II

RAINBOW IN THE DARK

Marias Medical Center, Party Ridge

Shelly and The Blackfeet Reservation, Montana

Afternoon, Day of the Fight

Bannon watched Marissa drive off leaving him to walk back either home or to the griddle, then he noticed that Sara was still there parked at the edge of the parking lot, waiting. He walked over. she pushed the sunglasses she was wearing up over her forehead. "Go well?"

"We'll see," Jase replied. "You waited on me?"

"Well I figured that since your ramrodding this thing, it might be a good idea to know how to get to where you’re going to hold it. What do you say?" She drops the glasses back over her eyes and nodded toward the passenger seat.

"Definitely” he nodded, giving her a rare lopsided smile as he yanked open the passenger side door of the wrecker and hopped up into the cab.

"Got her digits, then?"  Sara nodded to the written number on Bannon's hand, currently out of sight, but which she'd seen Marissa scribble there.  Jase's answer was a short dry bark of a laugh.

"Yeah, cos this whole thing was a ploy to get that.  Marissa promised to get people to the party and to leave my friends alone for the night."  he rested his head against the back of the seat, glancing at her sideways.  "Sweet girl - I don't understand why she terrifies everyone so much. She even scrawled a little heart at the end.  Anatomically correct, too"

"Man, don't even joke!" Sara actually giggled - the first time in a while she'd done that - as she turned the truck onto the highway and started off.  "Hard to believe you sold it to her."  she commented.  "You're not exactly a used car salesman type.  Too blunt."

"It was easy enough, once you duck the spitting venom."  Bannon said casually, betraying that glacial calm that made him a hard kid to read.  "I know what she finds interesting.  I didn't have to sell it, just promise delivery on my end."

Sara giggled again, "She is something else, isn't she, both of them are really." She shakes her head as if clearing the thoughts inside, "But she is hot."

Jase turns his head slightly to look at the overly muscled girl sitting beside him, driving, the very definition of butch, "Yeah, I guess."

She glances over and smiles, "But then you’re probably used to being around the hot chicks and good-looking guys. I mean you have to admit for a bunch of geeks and nerds all of you are pretty easy on the eyes." She cut her eyes toward him again, "Not that I'm implying that you’re a geek or a nerd." She left the hot part unsaid.

They had been driving for a while the small talk had lapsed into silence. Sara took the heavy wrecker up the highway then took one of the numerous farm roads. then as they approached the river, she took what looked like an infrequently used dirt road. "We can put up a marker or something there so the everyone can find the right road." 

The road twisted and turned following the river until it came to a set of grass overgrown railroad tracks. Sara crossed the track and turned left toward the river again on the access road that followed the tracks and in a few moments, Jase could see a railroad bridge crossing the river and right there beside it a very large and solid wooden bridge he had never seen before.

They crossed the bridge and the road left the railway and headed up a ridge which followed the river as they climbed, they passed through a moderately wooded landscape. Jase could see that the area was in a pretty natural state and the state of the road was much better shape than he would have expected. As they climbed the wood grew thicker and crowded the road.

"Are you sure no one comes up here? This road looks to be in too good a shape for it not to be used."

"It's just the way it was built. They couldn't pave a road up here and those old logging trucks were heavy, so the used treated wooden pallets laid down to form the road. Well they pallets over the years have been covered up but they are still there and the chemicals they used treating the wood prevents the grass for completely growing through."

They came to the top of the ridge past through the dense wood entered a large cleared area that ran the length of the top of the ridge. "This is the camp site," Sara said as she parked the wrecker and hopped out.

Jase got out and studied the location. They were at the top of the ridge which like so many in this part of Montana, formed an elongated plateau. The area had further been leveled by the loggers in the decades past and cleared. The road continued, presumably to the end of the ridge. The tree grew heavily on both sides of the clearing and a few trees had encroached to the edge of the roadway. Jase could make out where wooden log structures had once stood but all of them where gone now, possible torn down to feed the fire of what looked like a large pit pretty much toward the center of the road, a good place for a bonfire though it didn't look like it had been used in a long time, months at least.

"And you’re sure no one comes up here? What about the Rez kids you rode with, the ones that showed you this place," asked Jase?

Sara put her hands in her jean pockets and shrugged. "Nah they don't come up here anymore. Three of them,” she looked away from Jase, “they died in the fire at that trailer park in Browning last Christmas. Two more moved to California after that and the rest, a couple of girls, our age, they don't ride anymore." After Sara finished Jase didn’t say anything just nodded and went back to surveying the place.

He strode back and forth across the site, a tall sun-browned figure in jeans and plain white t-shirt, as lean and rangy as Sara was bulky and muscled.  His eyes darted here and there, measuring and planning as he came to a stop by the old fire-pit.  He didn't seem like a geek or a nerd - more like some general planning a battle. Sara could feel his brain working from where she stood leaning against the wrecker - a heat shimmer to match that coming off the blacktop they'd travelled over to get here.  Finally, he glanced back at her and slouched over to lean against the truck beside her.

"Better than I hoped."  he said with a slow nod and a faint smile.  "We're going to need extinguishers and sand buckets, because I don't want some drunk asshole to set fire to the Rez. Kegs can be stored in the river to keep them cool, and we'll have iceboxes for the sodas and stuff."  He rubbed his chin, nodding at Sara.  "Good pick."

They fell silent for a moment, the distant buzz of insects and birdsong the only sound next to the faint *plink* of the wrecker's engine cooling.

"I never really thought about it."  he spoke quietly, and Sara looked at him quizzically.  "Attractive people and hanging around them."  he explained, tapping another roll-up from the plain packet and lighting it up.  "I mean yeah, objectively Lilly's hot - but she's just Lilly, y'know.  She's a good person, too good for the world, so I'm happy just to be her friend and cheer her on when she goes to the Olympics.  Never thought about her romantically."  He took a puff on the rollup, the faint scent of weed curling from it as he exhaled, then offered it to Sara.  She took it with a smile, taking a draw on it and surprised - the taste of the fine tobacco mixed with a strong but smooth hit of marijuana was a pleasant departure from the mainstream blunts she'd shared with others in the past.  She wondered where Jase got his supply.

"Same with the others.  I don't really see people in terms of potential hookups. I've got plans of my own for my life, and I'm not interested in being slowed down by heartache.  I saw what it did to my dad."  he finished, falling silent as he took the joint back and drew on it once more, holding the smoke in for a long moment before exhaling, his gaze on the horizon.

Sara nodded, "Amen to that brother." 

They finished the joint, made plans, and got to work.

Spoiler

the above was written by GDP and Myself

Shelly Montana

It was County Fair time and the city was all a bustle getting ready for the yearly extravaganza. But not everyone was prepping for the parade, the livestock show, the rodeo, or demolition derby. Not everyone was waiting for the rides or the fair food. Some had other things on their plates.

Jase Bannon and Sara Hutchins were making the ridge on the reservation ready for the upcoming party. Lilly Pryor helped with hauling things for them up to the site in her old truck.

Marrisa Jauntson did her part and go the word out and swore those invited to secrecy and with her being the origin of the threat the event remained a secret better than to be expected.

Sean Cassidy held his weekly D&D game the evening before the Fair, not at his usual venue but at the Wright’s property in their pool house. Wit a couple of new players added to their troupe the campaign went very well and they played and talked late into the night.

The next day, Thursday, Fair day, dawned bright and sunny and even slightly cooler than it had been the last couple of weeks. Last minute preparations at the fairgrounds and by late afternoon everything was ready, and the people of Shelly and Toole county were lined up and ready to go.

At 4:30 the gates opened, and people started entering the grounds, kids headed to the rides and parents and older folks to look at the exhibits. At 5:00 the Mayer and several other guests gave the opening ceremony speeches and the fair was officially opened.

Sheriff Alistair wasn’t one of the speakers but he had been on the stage since he was one of the civic leaders in the county, also on the stage had been Dr John Rayleigh, the chief physician at the medical center, Lt Colonel William Pryor from Bulawark AFB, and Duncan Hess, warden at the Crossroads prison, as well as a other members of the City Council. After the speech’s Dr Rayleigh and Warden Hess approached the sheriff.

“Sheriff you got a minute,” Dr Rayleigh asked?

“For Pete’s sake John this is the fair we are not working…” Allister grimaced as he was cut off by the approach of a slim handsome man with slicked back hair wearing an expensive burgundy silk shit and shoes that really should not be worn out on a fair ground.

“Ian by god where have you been? You have missed tee time for the last two weeks.” Lucius Cole smiled a big smile that was bright and even showing off his perfect teeth, with him, standing about 3 feet behind him with an equally perfect smile was his perfect (and much younger) girlfriend, Susanna.

The three men stood quiet for a second staring at Cole then the sheriff spoke up “Just been a bit busy Lucius, you know Dr Rayleigh…”

“Of course, of course, Tuesday and Thursday 8:15, How are you John?” Lucius beamed.

“Fine, Lucius,” John looked embarrassed.

“And this is Duncan Hess, the warden at the prison.” Ian introduced Hess last.

Lucius blinked staring up at the giant black man, he seemed confused. “Hess?’” Lucius shook his head slightly “You don’t look German.”

Both Rayleigh and the sheriff looked away. Duncan took in a big breath and glowered at the smaller man who looked even more confused at the reaction. “What,” he asked raising his hands in a tell me gesture…

Spoiler

bambi.jpg - Susanna                                                          Dr Rayleigh -   30-paul-reiser-stranger-things.w700.h700.jpg

Across the fairgrounds where most of the food stalls were located Lucius’ son Charlie was hanging out with one of his best friends Kyle Everson who was working at his family’s Griddle stall. At that moment Kyle was busy with another customer and Charlies checked his watch and wondered if any of the rest of the gang was here yet, when he saw his Drama teacher Mr Abraham  about ten yards away up the through fair talking with some who Charlies didn’t think of as a friend at all, Andrew Beck. As Charlie watched Andrew nodded and shook Mr Abraham’s hand and Abraham patted him on the shoulder and turned away as the boy left, toward Charlie who when he saw Charlie a big grin spread on his face. And he quickly approached the young man.

“Charlie Cole just who I was seeking in this place of overpriced pleasure. Can I have a word?”

Only a few yards away Jase Bannon leaned on the side of the order counter of a very busy stall with a sign that read ‘AURBANS GREAT AND GOOEY FRIED GOODIES’ He was watching the two very large person a man and woman as the fried a veritable collection of things which god had never meant to be fried. Fried Butter, Fried Pig Ears, Fried Beer, Fried Kool Aid, Fried Ice Cream Cheeseburger, Fried Twinkies, and Fried Snickers just to name a few.

All the way across the other side of the Fairgrounds where the livestock shows were held Sean Cassady and his sister, Laurie were tending to Rascal, Laurie’s pet goat, who was acting very skittish around the other animals.

“Laurie we should go as long as we’re here he’s going to keep acting up,” said Sean wanting to get out and see some of the fair and find his friends.

“No! I am not leaving him while he’s scared. You can go on if you want. Weren’t  you supposed to be helping dad anyway?”

“Hmph, he told me to stay and help you.”

Party Ridge

Blackfeet Reservation, Montana

Sara put down the last of the water fire extinguishers Jase had insisted upon and looked back down the camp site. Startlingly she had caught Jase's fever about this thing, the party or for her more specifically the camp site and what they had made it into from the little ruined place she had come here with her indian friends to a real place clean orderly, nice looking. something to be proud of. And she was. She was also alone again.

She glanced at her watch, the fair was going now but it would still be hours until the party goers started to arrive. so she went to the wrecker and pulled out the folding lawn lounger she had taken from the trailer porch set it up and got her book and a Dr Pepper and settled in to wait with the history of the battle of midway island as written by Craig L Symonds. 

She was completely unaware that she was being watched.

Spoiler

Session II is begun. The fair is going. I have placed some characters at the fair at specific places that is where those characters should start their posts in session II from. The rest of you are probably at the fair at this time as well but do not have to be you can be elsewhere at the beginning but in the end while those characters not at the fair don't have to be, everyone needs to be at the party. I have also placed a couple of NPCs at the fair and I intend for more to show up, depending on how much posting i get at the fair. The actual Shelby fair is some what more boring than I want this fair to be so just imagine every big fair from movies and tv and that is what you have here. nearly all of Shelly is there. a good many off duty military are there and persons from the surround counties. There are a good number of people from the reservation both attending the fair and working it with booths and food stall and even showing livestock. So for the time being it is open world at the fair go to it.

Intermezzo will be closed soon so if you are working on anything there put it up soon or if you can fit it in here do that.

Good posting!

• Nina pinned this topic
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fried Ice Cream Cheeseburger."  Bannon said, slapping down a couple of bills.  The corpulent man behind the counter looked at him in pleased astonishment.

"Damn, son.  Most folks can't handle more than one.  That's your third!"  he chuckled, making change and passing it back before turning round to get the deep-fried Evil that was the ice-cream cheeseburger.

"Got a metabolism."  Bannon shrugged before taking a swig of water from a plastic bottle, then nodding at Aurban as he took the greasy package and moved away from the stall.

As has already been touched on, Bannon quite liked fairs.  There was something about the energy and excitement which he found infectious, at least somewhat.  The bustle, the noise, the bright lights - not so many years ago he'd fancied that big cities were like fairs all the time - places full of excitement and junk food and crowds where he could mingle with the herd and never have to worry about standing out, because everyone would be watching the spectacles, not him.  Though now he realised that was a childish notion, he still enjoyed the illusion of being an unseen observer of the flow of humanity-

"Jase!  Jase.  Man am I glad to see you!"  Bannon managed not to flinch at the bellowing of his name, glancing around to see a couple of seniors in letter jackets - what the fuck were their names again?  Ah yes, Greg something and Ewan whatever.  Ex-seniors, he reminded himself.  Next academic year they'd probably be at college while he was just starting junior high.

"Gentlemen."  Jase turned to face them, regarding both athletes with his business face - which to be fair was similar to his regular face, at least to the layman in Bannon-Studies.

"You've got to hook us up, bruh."  Greg said, leaning close conspiratorially.  If he'd been talking to anyone else, he would have thrown a friendly arm around Jase's shoulders... but this was Jase, and the lanky kid radiated 'don't fucking touch me' at the best of times.

"You know the rules, gents."  Jase replied, taking a bite of his deep-fried treat.  "I can do you something tomorrow if you go through the right channels.  I don't do last minute rush jobs."

"Aww, c'mon man!  There's a party tonight, and it's going to be off the fuckin' chain, and we've gotta have something to party with."  Ewan urged plaintively.

"You mean Chet's gathering for village idiots that he flyered up over town?" Bannon snorted.  "The sheriff knows about that one.  Save yourselves an embarrassing sit-down with Allister and your folks, guys."

"No, man.  Another party-"  Greg began, only to be hushed by Ewan.  "What?!  You think Jase is gonna narc?  No way, bruh.  Dude doesn't sweat under the lights.  Allister could wire him up to a car battery and all he'd do is flip him off."

"Yeah, but we're sworn to-"

"Guys."  Bannon cut in urgently, his tone low.  "I already know about it.  If you're going to be there, I can hook you up on-site.  And for fuck's sake, don't mention it to anyone you don't know for sure is on the list.  In fact, don't talk about it here at all."  He turned and strolled off through the crowd, muttering "Fucking amateur hour..." under his breath before finishing his melting treat.

A handful more encounters, these with people not urgently wanting product and prepared to go through the correct procedure, and Jase was feeling a bit less grumpy.  Fairs were good for business - people liked to party on fair nights, even if it was just them and some friends getting stoned.  He figured if this kept up every day, he could be up over eight hundred bucks by the end of the week, not to mention the party tonight, where he'd be selling small quantities - 'party bags' large enough for a couple of joints - to those that wanted them.  At a mark-up, of course.  Only VIPs got free weed, and only the Very VIPs got the best stuff.  Of course, Jase prided himself that even his standard product was damned good, but the Lucifer's Reserve, as he called it, was like smoking silk woven from gold and sunlight.  Not even a handful of customers were rich enough to buy it regularly, which suited Jase fine as it was harder to grow the stuff and had taken a lot of experimentation to get right.

For now, though, he wandered through the food stalls, checking for other strange and wonderful delights...

Clara had snuck off the fair on her own - Lona had left early to set up for her busking and Clara knew better than to....well, try to do anything with her. The elder Wrights and Lona's mother had left with Felix a little after that; they'd offered for Clara to come with them, but she just couldn't stand to be around them, still. Boredom and restlessness had set in pretty quickly after that. She'd tried reading, tried a lap in the pool, and then nearly burst into tears when the thought crossed her mind to go running. She threw herself of a solitary pity party for all of five minutes, then changed and poured herself into her car, heading for the fair. 

She did her best to avoid the places she though Lona might have set up shop. Somewhere along the way a funnel cake covered in powdered sugar and more calories than she usually at in a week made it into her hands. The chocolate drizzled over it counted as emotional therapy and she steadily picked it apart as she walked. She spotted her family a few times, mostly around the kiddie games or at the food stalls, and she steered clear with almost the same distance she gave Lona's possible haunts. It left most of the fair mentally off-limits to her, but she found a secluded bench under a golden spice pear tree - it was in the middle of the fair, but away from the venders and games, making it feel like a cloistered retreat. She watched the fair with a pensive expression, debating what to do about the party later that evening. 

"I'm so sorry I Wasn't there, Deej," Tawny said for the hundreth time since arriving about a half hour ago.  If there was a Bell of the Fair, it was her, with Suzanna running a close second because most of her was plastic, but still serviceable.  Tawny, or Tee, as Devin called her, looked about as country girl as a girl as a girl could get with Daisy Dukes that were barely modest, a whit tank top and a red and black checkered shirt.  Most would think she was trying to hard but she loved playing up the stereotype and besides, if her shorts got shorter and her tees got tighter, eventually Devin would have to notice that she wasn't the thirteen year-old brace-face he'd met when he first moved to Shelly three years ago.

Devin chuckled as she wrapped her arm in his and they walked together.  "Tee, it's cool, really.  It's not like you could have done anything.  These things just happen."

She rolled her eyes at his comment.  "Nothing 'just happens' with you, Devin.  You and your sister are like crime bosses.  Everything you two do is planned meticulously, besides, I could have at least kept you from punching Chet."

"What makes you say that?" He looked at her, curious where this thought was coming from and going too.

She shrugged and squeezed his arm tighter, smiling up at him.  "I don't know.  You just always seem, different, around me.  Like all the problems you have aren't as heavy, and you listen.  You're never angry around me the way you seem to be around everyone else."

"Huh," he nodded.  She wasn't wrong.  He was always in a better mood around her.  "I guess I never really noticed.  Well, you are my only friend.  See?  Told you there were perks."  He smiled at her and she rolled her eyes at him.  "C'mon, let's get some carny food.  I wanna fill up before the 'meet' tonight, I seriously doubt anyone considered brining food."

The same corpulent man Jase had shared words with several minutes ago looked down from his truck at the pretty, young couple.  Neither could make up their mind so the browsed the menu together, pointing and joking and suggesting to the other how many calories they really needed in one day.  The man chuckled.  "Well, ain't you two about the cutest pair that's been along all evening, so far."

"We're not dating," the two said in unison with such rehearsed acuity that the large man had to laugh out loud.

"Yeah, okay."  He laughed and took their order as Devin slapped out a few bills for the guy.

The two stood around the food truck while their food was being made, laughing and talking like normal teenagers should.  Anyone noticing Devin would not have guessed that he was the same guy who broke a kids nose two days prior in a fit of blind rage.  It was in the middle of one of these moments that the large shadow of Chet blocked the light near the two.  They immediately stopped and gave their attention to the newcomer and is small cadre of 'friends', among them Courtney.  Her and Chet had been eyeing the throne of Shelly High's popularity royal family for quite some time and were tired of living in the shadow of the Prince and Princess.  Ready to cast off the yolk the twins had placed on them and their 'quaint country education' they felt it was time they rose to the status of King and Queen of Shelly High.  This was the year they were going to make their move, and Devin had given them the opportunity they needed with his outburst.

Devin looked up at Chet, he was a tall guy, about six two at sixteen years old and about as corn fed as a Montana boy could get.  Only two days after the fight his face was still a swollen mess of bruises and tender tissue.  A broken nose was no joke, and Devin was kind enough to not only break it, but hit him two more times afterwards for good measure.  The boys face looked a sickly mess of purple and blue.  "Chet," Devin composed himself with the measured grace of an expert charmer.  "You're... looking well.  All things considered."

"It'th not funny, Jaunt'then!"  Chet yelled, his fists clenched at his sides.

"Who's laughing, hm?"  Devin met his eyes and let his stare speak in the volume he wouldn't allow his voice to raise to.  "Go on, Chet.  Take a swing.  Right here at the fair, really?  An awful lot of witnesses around her and let's faec it, while most would agree I have it coming, the revenge play isn't going to earn you any sympathy from the sheriff and two fights over the summer will have you off the team before the season even starts and we both know that.  I'm not on any teams, Chet.  I stand to lose nothing."

Chet was quivering with anger.  "You know you have it coming, Devin."

Devin stepped forward, placing his finger in Chet face.  "You crossed a line, I put you back in your place.  Cry about it if it makes you feel better, but next time, don't talk shit and you won't breathing with a whistle."

"I never th'aid th'e wa'th a th'lut, you ju'tht jumped up and punched me!" Chet argued, with a whistle.

"It was you who crossed a line Devin, and you're going to pay for it," Courtney snapped, getting her face just a little to close to Devin for his liking.

From the side of all the commotion the voice of Marissa spoke up in the momentary pause.  "Is there some problem I need to be made aware of?"

Chet swallowed hard.  "No.  Dev and I wa'th ju'tht talking ith all."

"So I saw," she smiled coyly.  "Chet, I know you're angry about what my brother did.  You've every right to be, and if it's a fair go you want, then I'm sure my brother will have no problem meeting you in a proper place at a proper time... of which the Fair is neither.  Try to remember though Chet that my brother was simply being chivalrous in his way and were your roles reversed you'd have done no different, I'm sure."  This was why Courtney hated Marissa so much.  She was brilliant with people while Courtney's rancid personality only drove everyone to despise her.  Marissa, while no less horrible, had the adults in the palm of her hand and could systematically destroy anyone's future in Shelly with a few well placed lies... or truths.  And Marissa knew all the lies and horded all the truths.  "So, why don't the two of you step away before the sheriff notices and ruins all our nights, hmm?"

"Mari'tha, I never th'aid you were a th'lut, you know that, right?"  Chet's puppy dog eyes practically begged her to understand.

"I know, Chet.  I know you didn't because you're too sweet for that," she smiled at him and stood on her tip toes and gently kissed him on the cheek.  "You're a sweetheart, and I'm sorry you and my brother got into a fight.  But we really all should not be seen together..."

With a nod Cet and his crew backed away and broke off as Courtney stared daggers at Marissa.  Once she was certain they'd left she glared at her brother in disapproval.  "Seriously, Deej?"  She spat on the ground and it was the most unladylike act Tawny had ever seen her commit.  "I just had to kiss that walking piss stain to keep you from fighting him, again.  Are you trying for some kind of Medal of Rebellion or something?"

"Screw him," Devin tossed up a middle finger in the direction of Chet and his band, which thankfully none of them saw or it would have really started a brawl.  "I'll break his other nose."

Tawny's face scrunched into a mask of confusion.  "Um, Devin, I don't-"

Marissa waved a hand at her to symbolize to give up before she started.  "Don't bother, sister, trust me."  She smiled at Tawny, one of few girls she could tolerate, if only for her brother's sake.  "Hi, by the way.  Loving the outfit, oh my god!"

"Foods up," Devin walked off and broke away from the ladies in his life.

Marissa's smile dropped faster than a suicide jumper.  An arctic chill froze her face into a Wednesday Adams dead pan scowl.  "Trying a little too hard, don't you think?"

"What?  No.  You just said that you lov-" Tawny tried to stumble out an answer but the truth of the matter was: Marissa scared the hell out of her.

"Wake up, Tawny.  He'll never date you.  Trust me, we've talked and know when I know when my brother likes someone and if you, especially after three years, haven't gotten out of the friend zone, then get comfy because you're not leaving it.  Especially if you think shoveling in four thousand calories worth of carnival food is make you any more appealing."  As Devin returned he held two large plates of burgers and fries and prepared in the usual greasy fanfare of the carnival.  Marissa's eyes lit up wide in enjoyment.  "Oh my god!  Those look amazing.  Well, I have things to do, you two have fun and enjoy your food!"

"Later, EmJay," Devin nodded to her while he swung his arm about to present Tawny with her food.  He smiled at his 'non-date'.  "Okay, seriously, the smell of these things are like sex in my nose right now, you're gonna love em'."

Tawny just stared at Marissa as she walked away, waving to all the people she knew and playing herself off as the perfect little Princess.  She's right. "I-I'm sorry Devin," she managed to choke out a soft reply.  "I'm not really all that hungry..."

"What?"  Devin said with a mock surprise.  "Who are you and what have you done with Tawny?  Carny burgers are like, the best!"

"I-It's... just a lot of calories is all..."

"Aight," Devin shrugged.  "I'll just eat em' myself.  Your loss."  He set them down on the picnic table and straddled the bench to dig in, all the while his eyes were narrowed in on his sister.  He recognized her handiwork when he heard it.  She was family, that's true.  Which meant when she over stepped her boundaries it was his place to deal with her.

The Princess of Shelly was due for a reckoning.

At The Fair

Bannon wanted a smoke but the deputies were out in force and more than one of them had taken an interest in him when they recognized him, but being Jase Bannon he easily avoided them and found a spot that was out of sight and where he could snatch a smoke.

He had lit up and had only a couple of puffs when he heard stealthy, but not stealthy enough, foot falls. With a flick of his finger he knocked the cherry off and ground it under his foot and was about o destroy the rest of it when he saw it wasn't a deputy. It was a girl, and not one he knew. He was pretty well hidden and she hadn't seen him although she was looking around nervously then she dug a crumpled pack of Marlboro out of a leather purse and started to get a cigarette out of the pack.

She was about sixteen or seventeen with long black hair pulled back into a ponytail and exotic features, he could tell right away she was Native-American. She was wearing worn jeans sneakers and a Bobaflex t-shirt.She put the cigarette between her lips and began to light it with a bic lighter but the lighter wouldn't cacth, so she started shaking it and tried again...

bUyG074sstfcjecJWLNPiqTeGX5.jpg    bobaflex-logo-youth-t-shirt-black.jpg

He regarded the girl with indifference for a long moment as she flailed with the cheap lighter.  He didn't know her by sight, which meant she probably went to school on the Rez.  A calculating stare assessed her clothing, her purse, and her choice of smokes, looking for anything out of place.  Although Jase knew he was smarter than the likes of Sheriff Allister in the same way that he knew that the sun rose in the east, that didn't mean the erstwhile defender of law and order could be dismissed entirely as no threat or was unable to come up with schemes if he really wanted to get Bannon.  And this girl just happened to find the same out of the way spot...

His assessment completed, Bannon then calculated.  At worst, the Sheriff could confiscate a handful of hand-made cigarettes and give Bannon a stern lecture during which he would have to fight to stay awake.  Jase had no weed on him here, had nothing more incriminating than the smokes.  Screw it.

The girl's muttered cursing at the lighter was interrupted by the *snap* of a metal Zippo.  Looking around in alarm, she saw a small tongue of flame illuminating Bannon's face in a Mephistophelian fashion, sparks dancing in his eyes as he re-lit his cigarette while staring at her.  Another *snap* and the light was extinguished, but in the gloom she could see the glimmer of metal as he offered the Zippo to her wordlessly, the tip of his cigarette glowing as he drew on it.

The girl took the lighter and lit her own cigarette . "Thanks, you scared the hell out of me." She blows the smoke away from the two of you and then looks back the way she had come to the noise of the fair. "So then I guess what my brothers said is true they will bust you for smoking underage. That's fucked up."

She reaches out to hand the lighter back. "I'm Mary."

Bannon looks at the lighter for a second then takes and slips it into his pocket, "Jase."

Neither looks directly at the other they just smoke. The girl, Mary,  crosses her arms over her breasts, and watches Jase from the corner of her eye. Jase doesn't move he just stays leaning against the boxes he had been behind until his smoke is done then he field strips it and with a little glance walks by her and heads back around the storage shed and to the fair. He can feel her eyes follow him but she doesn't move.

Lilly watched the speeches with her mom, waiting for her dad to finally get free so they could enjoy the fair, at least for a bit, as a family. With their work schedules and Lilly's school, training and practices, they did not have much time to spend together like this, so the fair was a much welcomed reprieve from their day to day.

Unlike many of her friends, Lilly still had both parents, who were still married and, for the most part, happily so. She liked spending time with them and had a good relationship with a great deal of trust built over the years by her discipline and dedication. Being an only child, she was doted on a bit, especially when she was younger, but now her parents were having to accept her growing up and blossoming into a beautiful young woman and a fine person. And though her parents showed concern for her breaking up a fight between two boys, they (especially her dad) generally praised her for her quick action, likely greatly minimizing the injury to Chet, and then Devin, but were also grateful that she was not seriously injured too.

Lilly had on a drab green/gray, open knit sweater over a short white tank top and jeans. Her hair was done, which was rare, but also a testament to the relaxed and happy atmosphere of the fair. Her mother had on jeans, though lacking the 'distress' of Lilly's jeans, and soft blue, a cap sleeve shirt. Her father, having been invited as a representative of the base, was in uniform, which was not unusual for Lilly. Growing up she had seen him in uniform as much as in 'civilian attire', possible even a little more.

The trio wandered the fair, enjoying some snow cones and taking in the sights when they came across a booth by the Shelly High Boosters. They were selling various things, water bottles, key chains, shirts and so forth to raise money for the various teams and actives at the school, when she saw it. The shirt had a rough image of a football on it and above the football, looking like rough stenciled letters it read 'THROW LIKE A GIRL" with the Shelly High letters below the football. Lilly's eyes went wide in surprise, which caught her parents' attention, causing them to look to the source.

"Well, we've seen the practices, and honey, you got the best arm this county's ever seen. We just know you're gonna be great this season." Mrs. Beaumont said as she wriggled out from behind the table to give the surprised Lilly a hug. "And show those boys what a girl throws like." she added with a smile.

"That's awesome." Lilly's dad , William, said with a huge smile. "We'll each take one." he said as he pulled out his wallet.

"Dad!" Lilly said, strangely slightly embarrassed.

"What? We'll wear them to the games to support you. We'll always be in your corner Lilly Bear." Lilly's mother, Cassandra, chimed in, pinching Lilly's cheeks.

"Mom!" she said, pulling her cheeks away from her mother's grasp and looking around now, even more embarrassed, hoping to high heaven that none of her friends or schoolmates had seen the display or heard her mother call her 'Lilly Bear'.

"Oh calm down. Your friends have parents too." Cassandra said with a laugh and roll of her eyes as her daughter's shoulders rose up and her head sun down, as if trying to hide in plain sight.

"I'm not five, you know?" Lilly pointed out with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh believe me, I know." Cassandra sighed as she tugged at her daughters loose knit sweater, adjusting it a bit. "But you will always be our little girl, no matter how many trophies or medals you win."

"And besides, it is our job as parents of a teenager to embarrass you at ever conceivable junction." William added as he threw the newly purchased shirt over Lilly's head with a flick of his wrist.

"Oooookay. Well, I am gonna go say high to Lori and Lacy. They are pretty proud of their pig.. or hog.. or whatever.." Lilly told her parents as she pulled the shirt off of her head. "Oh. And me and the others might game tonight too." she added, slipping in a not entirely lie.

"Again? You just gamed last night." Lilly mom asked.

"Yeah. I know. But the game is going really good and it's summer anyways..."

"Okay. But remember if-" her mom said before Lilly cut her off.

"If I feel too tired to either see if I can crash there if it is not an inconvenience or call you to pick me up rather than driving home tired because driving tired is as bad as driving drunk." Lilly recited. "I know and I will. And we'll scope out the best food and stuff so we can come back and do the fair proper this weekend." she tacked on with a smile.

"Love you!" Lilly said as she jogged off.

"You know, she will always be our little girl, but we have to accept that she's not a little girl anymore." William said as he walked up behind his wife, slipping his arms around her, on top of which she rested her crossed arms, and kissed her on the top of her head as they watched Lilly jog off into the crowd.

On her way to the livestock area Lilly had been scanning the crowd, looking for her friends and occasionally waving with a smile or saying high to other acquaintances when she spotted a face that very much stood out to her. Devin Jauntsen. He was sitting at a picnic table scarfing down a burger while a cute blonde... Terry? Tammy? Tawny! Tawny sat there watching him. Lilly thought about what had happened at Bunnee's for a moment. She could see how differently things could have turned out.. how bad they could have been.. and was just grateful she managed to stop it, or was it his seizure? Did she trigger it?

Lilly sighed. 

She felt bad. She did not want to hurt anybody, even Devin, despite how he and his sister acted most of the time. Still though she hoped he was okay and that she hadn't bee the cause of his seizure. She just wanted to know that he was okay and that she hadn't made things worse. She chewed on her sleeve cuff for a moment and then dropped her hand, stepping forward, approaching the pair a bit cautiously. She was unsure of the response she would get, but if it was anything like Marissa's had been, it wouldn't be good.

"Hey Devin." Lilly said, biting the side of her bottom lip as she gave a wave to him and Tawny.

Devin looked up, pausing in his voracious hunger and looking up at the unexpected voice. A piece of lettuce was sticking out the side of his mouth which he sucked into his mouth in an almost reptilian fashion.

"Look. I just wanted to say that I hope you're okay and I'm sorry if it was something I did that... you know... made you seize. I didn't want to hurt you or anything. I tried to stop you from hurting yourself when you did. My mom's a nurse and so I knew kinda what to do. Jase helped too. I just.." she said, her voice trailing off for a momentary pause. "I dunno. I Just hope your okay." she finally said again with a small shrug.

Spoiler

Lilly's attire (though not Lilly in the pic)
dsc_0217_1.jpg

He emerged from the hideaway, thrusting his hands into the pockets of his jeans as he slouched in the general direction of the stage across the fairground.  Lona's set would be soon, and though Jase was not a music-lover as such Lona was part of the group, and so he'd turn up and support her.  Besides, she was pretty good insofar as he was any judge, and so he joined the Brownian Motion of the crowds and let it carry him in the direction he wanted to go, his eyes people-watching, his thoughts inscrutable behind his immobile features.

There was Courtney and Chet, pretenders to the Throne of Hubris and Vanity that was the top of the Shelly High pecking order, clustered with some of their hangers-on and being seen, which was about all they were good at in Jase's opinion.  Shallow as paddling pools, motes of dust to be forgotten when they were left behind.  And there was Marissa, the incumbent, stalking through the crowd like a tigress through the long grass, camouflaged in sweet smiles and perfect poise to hide her venomous nature, which itself was shown a little too often to be anything other than a mask over depths of insecurity.  Jase was reasonably certain, though not definite on that point.  It would be interesting, he mused, if she were like him-  But then that would be dangerous, wouldn't it?  Still, he studied her from under lowered brows as she passed some distance away, wondering what was the act and what was the reality.  Feint within feint within feint... Round and round she dances.  Do not watch her body, do not watch her lips, for they lie.  But how deep does the pretense go? 

"I'm the only sociopath in the group" he had said with a smile, disguising the truth with a lie veneered in truth masked as humor.  "You don't have the eyes of a sociopath." she had bantered dismissively.  Bannon laughed silently to himself - she was right, he didn't have the eyes of a sociopath. It had taken all of his self-control not to answer "Thanks.  That took a lot of practice."  But even if he had, she would have probably dismissed that too, so what damage would have been done, really?  And it had taken a lot of practice, to make his gaze diffident, to let it drop or slide to the side, to give the impression of an awkward eccentric rather than...  The truth.

A shoulder jostled him, a random shove of the crowd, and he went with it, letting it turn him and direct him, his eyes finding Sean, walking along with Laurie, who had her pet Rascal on a leash with her.  His friend, so happy to find someone who treated him normally that he was willing to overlook Jase's oddities.  And Laurie, who was content to treat Jase as a secondary, albeit eccentric big brother.  He liked them both, even though he seldom communicated it.  He caught Sean's eye as they passed by, nodding companionably before disappearing once more into the swirl of the crowd, reveling in the partial illusion of anonymity.  There was Lilly, looking beautiful in the loose sweater and with her hair down, nervousness rolling off her as she spoke to Devin and Tawny, who herself was far from hard on the eyes in her country gal attire, her sweetness obvious in her face.  Whatever dragon Lilly was setting herself up to face, it was her choice to speak to Jauntsen and she was a big girl, and so Jase drifted past unheeded as that drama played itself out.

Finally he caught sight of a familiar figure, seated alone near the center of the grounds under a tree.  Clara Lys Wright, a half-eaten treat in her hands and a pensive expression on her face.  Curiousity tugged at him - why was she not with her family, or friends?  There was something melancholy about her, and he wondered why that would be so.  He had time before Lona's set, he was sure.  Time enough to explore a mystery.  He stepped from the crowd.

Clara, on her island of relative quiet in the bustle of the fair, was aware of his approach and looked up as Jase, clad in clean, but rumpled white shirt worn open over a black t-shirt, jeans that were well-frayed and his habitual combat boots, moved over to her.  As usual, his hair looked as though he had wetted it down, then jumped backwards through a thornbush to get the end result.  Wordlessly he sat on the bench beside her, unscrewing the cap of his water bottle and taking a swig.  He smelled of smoke and a touch of aftershave, and he didn't say a word, simply offered the bottle of water to her.

Charlie had come mainly for the food, and since Lona was going to be playing at the fair, be a supportive audience member. But right now his itinerary was hanging alongside Kyle while keeping eyes out for his so-called father and being ready to move somewhere else to ignore him and the bimbo as blatantly as possible. Not exactly much to speak of. So when Mr. Abraham came up, Charlie brightened with a smile for his mentor.

"Of course. What's up?"

8 hours ago, Lilly Pryor said:

"Look. I just wanted to say that I hope you're okay and I'm sorry if it was something I did that... you know... made you seize. I didn't want to hurt you or anything. I tried to stop you from hurting yourself when you did. My mom's a nurse and so I knew kinda what to do. Jase helped too. I just.." she said, her voice trailing off for a momentary pause. "I dunno. I Just hope your okay." she finally said again with a small shrug.

"I'm fine," was all he offered.  Not because he didn't have much to say, but because he didn't like being reminded that he, the Prince of Shelly High, looked weak in front of most of the soon-to-be Junior class.  There was an awkward pause as he looked a Lilly and honestly didn't know where to go next.

Tawny reached over the table and back handed his arm with pursed lips and nod of her head in Lilly's direction.  "Well?  Go on.  You promised."

Devin sighed at the secret between them and set down his burger and stood up, meeting Lilly face to face.  "This is stupid."

"You promised," Tee said again, flashing a smile at Lilly.

"Fine, fine.  Look, uh," he paused, looking everywhere but at Lilly directly.  "I'm not good at this sorta stuff, but... thanks.  Doc Cook said I could have been seriously hurt if you the other window lick-" A fry bounced off the side of his head, courtesy of Tawny.  It was his turn to purse his lips as he inhaled and restructured his thoughts.  "If you guys hadn't done what you did.  I'm okay, really."

Cade was at the fair with his family though he'd driven his jeep there since he didn't plan on staying all night.  The fair was bigger than normal, and indeed, he knew that nearly the whole town was here.   Mr. Bancroft wasn't, he'd declined Cade's offer to bring him out, saying he'd go another day, simply to avoid the crowds.   As he was a private man, Cade just nodded.  

Of course Haruka wanted to ride some rides, and he went along with it, riding them with her, and sometimes their mom joined in.   Now, the trio were just wandering around, Cade's hands empty, while Haruka held a large stuffed teddy bear that Cade had won for her.   The booth attendant recognized him, and gave him an almost pleading look, as it was a baseball toss.  "Pick one thing you want, and I'll get it."  She'd chosen the bear, and he got it on the first play."  The attendant was relieved that he stopped, like he said, and that his sister was happy.

Miyako chuckled, it was heartwarming to her to see her children get along so well.   She only wished her husband Ian was with them, but he'd explained he still had his duties to do, even when he wasn't "On the Clock."   She'd been understanding and hadn't reminded him of the duty to his family out loud, but she saw in his eyes that he'd understood.

Miyako looked to Cade and smiled.  "So no bringing Coraline along tonight?  The way you two have been, I'd have imagined you invite her to come along with us?"

Cade looked to her, wondering just how much of his conversation with Dad she already knew, and shrugged.  "You and Dad said it was a family night, so no i didn't.   I think she's here with her family though, so we'll likely see each other around."

Pre-show nerves were nothing new, and Lona tolerated them as best as she could, breathing through the waves of anxiety. Every time her lizard brain started to scream about how she was going to embarrass herself, she instead reviewed lyrics or chords. Tonight, she focused on God’s Country. Knowing that Luis had requested it and she’d had only a couple of days to learn it had left her nerves on edge.

And, if she were being honest, it wasn't just the usual jitters. Honestly, after years of playing for her dad's various medical fundraisers, she had home field advantage in any venue in Toole County. No, it was that she was doing it alone. 

Shit. Avalon pulled out her phone and opened her contacts, looking at a number she hadn't used in months. She opened her saved texts from Clara, frowning over the latest one. Just days after her father's funeral, Clara had texted, Get out of bed, I have a surprise for you! The surprise had been how much Clara sucked at emulating human feelings. 

And yet, knowing that Clara probably wouldn't be at the performance left a hollow feeling in her gut. She'd lost her dad, then her brother, then the closest thing she had to a sister, right before Mom had lost her mind and started "finding herself". She missed the days when they had been each others' staunchest supporter. Homework, lyric help, tears and giggles over cute boys, support as Dad's health waxed and waned: all of that and more had been ripped away without warning. 

Before she could second guess what she was doing, she typed, Hey, if you come to my show, I wanted to warn you that our parents will be there. So just a heads up. And I get if you don't want to come because of that. Or for any reason. 

She hit send before she talked herself into erasing the message. She felt like an idiot afterwards, but the action had settled her, as if she'd reached out to an anchor. Taking a sip of water, she bent her head over her instrument and picked out the intro to God's Country again. 

Clara took the bottle, the swig of water clearing out the now too-sweet taste of the funnel cake; she pushed the less-than-half-eaten confection at Jase in return. The companionable silence amid the raucous, chaotic sounds of the fair prevailed for nearly a full minute before Clara's phone rang out to the starting notes of Seether's Broken. She started, digging the electronic out from her pocket and wondering what disaster could possibly have happened that would have Lona willingly communicating with her. She read the text, her brow knitted in confusion, then read it again. Is she just nervous? She's performed for years. 

"Jase?" she spoke more tentatively than the other teen had ever heard. "Um, do you know where Lona is performing? Which stage?" God, I really don't want to be there if Mom and everyone else are, but....I can't just not. Especially if Lona has to be staring at them the whole time, too. She took another long drink of water - completely forgetting that it wasn't actually her water bottle until she was already halfway through it. "And I'll buy you another water," she offered with a chagrined weak smile. "Sorry."   

Coraline had smiled as she listened to the speeches, saw her Dad speak so proudly about his work and the community and how the two helped make one another. She rolled her eyes at the irony of what was planned tonight. Her Rules were clear: for every privilege, a price to pay. However, this price, spending a few hours seeing and being seen by the right people with her best smile and her best manners and her best summer dress for a few hours, was one she was glad to pay.

Two, *just* two, years from now, and she'd be picking her New York apartment and scouring the boroughs for the best budget eateries and this whole Shelly, Montana thing would be behind her, just another stepping stone on her way to Julliard and the rest of her life.

She had a lot of work to do to get there and live up to her parent's expectations, her 'potential'. Tonight though... God, she was going to smash more of Her Rules in one go than she had in years, far more than she felt comfortable really, but... Her friends needed her, and *Cade* needed her, and she was Coraline 'the tall, nice girl who danced' Hess and, and... Well, they were her crew, her pack, her team, so *that was that*.

So. Yeah. Party. Go go, rule-smashing rebel Cora. Just don't think about the lockdown afterwards when she got caught. It was miracle enough that she got permission to bounce away from her parents for the evening in time for Lona's show. Making curfew unscathed after the party? Yeah. Right.

Coraline smiled, waiting near the stage, and tried not to think about it. DnD had been fun even if her character had nearly died. Maybe this could be, too?  

2 hours ago, Clara Lys Wright said:

"Jase?" she spoke more tentatively than the other teen had ever heard. "Um, do you know where Lona is performing? Which stage?" God, I really don't want to be there if Mom and everyone else are, but....I can't just not. Especially if Lona has to be staring at them the whole time, too. She took another long drink of water - completely forgetting that it wasn't actually her water bottle until she was already halfway through it. "And I'll buy you another water," she offered with a chagrined weak smile. "Sorry." 

His lips twitched upwards as he glanced sideways at her, the remains of the funnel-cake having already disappeared in the short space of time they'd been sitting.  Though he was less imposing when he smiled, his eyes were just as inscrutable as ever as his gaze studied her face briefly, then slid away to go back to crowd-watching.

"I was on my way there when I saw you."  he replied with a nod, then stood and half-turned towards her.  "Let's go - and forget about the water.  If I didn't want you to drink it, I wouldn't have offered."  He smiled again, that same faint curving of the lips as he considered something, then offered her his hand.  When Clara took it, sliding her fingers into his palm with only a heartbeat's hesitation herself before standing with graceful ease, Jase blinked even as his own clasp became a little more firm.  Together, they headed into the crowd.

Jase's mind was humming along new pathways as they walked together.  He'd been expecting polite rejection of his gesture at best, having only made it as another form of the cigarette test he'd performed the other night by the pool - partly from curiousity, partly from a sense of devilment.  He'd never held a girl's hand before - not like this.  He usually eschewed physical contact beyond the most superficial of gestures - but this did not seem superficial, not at all.  It seemed like his sense of touch was concentrated in that simple handclasp, his awareness of self expanding to include the slender figure walking close to him, and it was not unpleasant.  He found himself adopting a gentler gait than his usual slouching stride, standing a little straighter.  Human contact - such a small catalyst, yet potent he mused as he analysed this feeling for meaning and significance.  He glanced at Clara, walking beside him with her own flowing, neat grace - did she feel that too?  Was this how everyone felt with such simple gestures?  Was it significant to her?  He smiled at her as she felt his gaze and returned it, gaining a tentative smile in return.

Enjoy the moment.  She would not have taken my hand if she knew me truly.  She would have recoiled.  He reminded himself sternly, without self-pity.  His freedom depended on people not knowing his nature.  More importantly, his friendships depended on that too - and he valued his friendships.  He valued the simple human contact.  He imagined Sean being afraid of him, or Lilly looking at him with pity or loathing, or Cade saying that his father had been right about Jase all along... or Clara pulling away from his hand and screaming for help.  The images were painful.

They passed by Lilly and Devin, deep in their own conversation, and joined the crowd gathering around Lona's stage.  Here and there Bannon saw some of his friends.  Hard to miss, the tall Cora was over there, waiting with the rest of the throng for the set to begin.  Jase steered himself and Clara to a spot where they could clearly see the stage and waited there, still aware of her hand in his and, in the moment, happy.

Sean and Laurie made pretty much a complete circuit around the fair ground until Rascal was tired out and they headed back to the livestock pins with Laurie even carrying the little goat the last of the way. Sean looked at his watch impatiently, Laurie noticed. "Go on Sean I'll be fine I'm just gonna wait with him then I'll come find you. Go find your friends before one of them does something stupid."

Sean grimaced at his little sisters comment. He didn't know how but she and her friends had found out about the fight and somehow in her mind it had become the fault of his friends and not those two douche-bags. But it was getting awfully close to the time when Lona was supposed to go on stage and he didn't want to miss that . "Ok but when your done come straight to the stage area and find us. Dad will kill both of us if you go wandering around by yourself."

"Oh for christ's sake I'm not a child. Go on." She shoo'd him away with a waving hand and Sean chuckled and left the barn where the small animals were penned.

He hadn't taken more than a dozen steps when he heard familiar voices from off to his left and saw Chet and Courtney and their wannabes scarfing down carny food at a picnic table.

"Well if it isn't the little freak!" Courtney's voice was loud and harsh and Sean looked around to see who else had heard. He blushed when he saw a few adults he didn't recognize looking his way. When he turned back Courtney and Chet had left the table and were standing only a couple of yards away their minions right behind them. Chet's face was a swollen mass of bruises and the splint on his nose, his look unreadable but Courtney's was clear as day, full of scorn and condescension. She was staring at his chest.

"Oh My God, what are you doing taking fucking hormones? Your tits are at least two sizes bigger than they were at the end of school." She spins back to her gaggle of hangers on. ,"Here you are guys the freak show you don't have to pay for!" She spins back grinning like a shark, "The girl who used to be a boy, or is it the other way around/ Who can Tell?" They all laugh. Courtney glances down at Sean's crotch, "I wonder if his pecker shrunk to balance out his tits growing. Maybe we should check?"

Spoiler

if some one hasnt gotten to the Lona Show fell free to run into Sean and his tormentors

14 hours ago, Charlie Cole said:

Charlie had come mainly for the food, and since Lona was going to be playing at the fair, be a supportive audience member. But right now his itinerary was hanging alongside Kyle while keeping eyes out for his so-called father and being ready to move somewhere else to ignore him and the bimbo as blatantly as possible. Not exactly much to speak of. So when Mr. Abraham came up, Charlie brightened with a smile for his mentor.

"Of course. What's up?"

Mr Abraham always such a happy man adjusted his glasses with one hand and with the other on Charlies arm led the boy away from the noisy crowd at the food stand.

“Hope you are ready for a very busy year after school starts. I am assuming you will continue your drama studies?”

Charlie nodded vigorously “Yes sir I am.”

“Good, good, What I wanted to discuss with you, and I just had this same discussion with Andrew, is the musical. For starters the school board shuffled the schedule of activities at the last minute and I just found out Monday that the musical which we usual put on in the second week of December as you well know, has been moved up to the week before thanksgiving. This produces several problems for moi, and by extension my star pupils.

As you know it is myself and Mrs Mckay who usually brainstorm the first weeks back at school to decide on which musical to produce, however Janice will be on maternity leave for the first half of the year. So now it is all on my shoulders and you know how I love sharing.” He flashes that infectious smile.

“I need some suggestions for what play we should do and I am going to need some help producing it this year from my stars.

What do you say Charlie, you up for a little off stage work this year?”

Fuck.

Sean's jaw tightened, teeth grinding as he turned back to face his tormentors, his small hands balling into fists. He could laugh at himself in self-mockery about warning his younger sister about being careful while alone at the Fair when she was three inches taller than he was. But it was absolutely infuriating that he hadn't made it more than five yards after warning Laurie that Courtney and Company couldn't resist making his life hell.

If they tried to pants him, he wouldn't be able to stop them. Chet was nearly as tall as Cade and wider through the shoulders. Hell, as the head cheerleader, even Courtney was more athletic than he was - and also taller. But Chet did have that splinted nose. He'd try for that, dish out at least a little pain before he - and his shorts - went down and then try to run. He turned slightly to the side, planting his feet, ready to resist or run.

Sean followed Courtney's gaze down to his well tented green shirt, his weird, multi-coloured eyes going wide in feigned surprise.

Spoiler

Sean's shirt
call-me-zelda-one-more-time-tshirt-textu

"Oh-Em-Gee!" Sean squealed, making his sweet voice even higher. "Where did those come from? I'm sure glad you noticed, Courtney, so you could point them out to me and everyone else." He dropped his voice back to his regular register - well, not entirely, he tried to subtly make it a bit deeper and gruffer, but it didn't help much - he just sounded like a girl trying to sound like a guy. "I've told you before, but it seems you just can't understand. I take stuff to try to stop my hormones from doing this. Stop being bitter that a guy has a more impressive rack than you do."

Under Courtney's deepening glower, Sean forced himself to do something he knew he was going to regret latter. He smiled, a challenging smirk even.

"And if you wanted to see my package, Courtney, you and your lackeys just had to not make a stink about me changing in the girls' locker room for phys. ed. Than you could see for yourself almost any time."

"You fucking abomination," Courtney screeched, incensed. "You're going to regret that, titboy."

Double fuck.

10 hours ago, Jaunt said:

"I'm fine," was all he offered.  Not because he didn't have much to say, but because he didn't like being reminded that he, the Prince of Shelly High, looked weak in front of most of the soon-to-be Junior class.  There was an awkward pause as he looked a Lilly and honestly didn't know where to go next.

Tawny reached over the table and back handed his arm with pursed lips and nod of her head in Lilly's direction.  "Well?  Go on.  You promised."

Devin sighed at the secret between them and set down his burger and stood up, meeting Lilly face to face.  "This is stupid."

"You promised," Tee said again, flashing a smile at Lilly.

"Fine, fine.  Look, uh," he paused, looking everywhere but at Lilly directly.  "I'm not good at this sorta stuff, but... thanks.  Doc Cook said I could have been seriously hurt if you the other window lick-" A fry bounced off the side of his head, courtesy of Tawny.  It was his turn to purse his lips as he inhaled and restructured his thoughts.  "If you guys hadn't done what you did.  I'm okay, really."

Lilly looked surprised and confused when Devin rose up to face her, expecting an insult laden, verbal barrage based on his past actions for the last several years. What she got though was quite unexpected. She thought it must be Tawny's influence. Girlfriends did have a way of trying to smooth out the rough edges on a guy. Still, she took what he said and ran with it.

"Dr. Cook? Oh yeah, he's really good." she said with a nod, going off of what her mother had mentioned here and there about him and her own first and meetings when she was volunteering at the hospital.

"Well, you and Chet were both pretty bad off after that. Chet will be missing practice for the next four to six weeks or so while his nose heals and I just wanted to make sure that you were okay too, and that, like, it didn't expose some previously un-diagnosed serious condition or something. I'm glad you're okay. Sorry I don't have a 'get well' card or something, but I didn't expect to run into you here." she said, nodding again. "Well that, and I guess it's kinda moot now anyways, since your fine." she added with a hint of her somewhat goofy smile and a shrug of her shoulders and small wave at Tawny.

"And thanks, but we just did what anybody would do in that situation." said to, showing her optimism and belief in the basic goodness of people. 

30 minutes ago, Lilly Pryor said:

"And thanks, but we just did what anybody would do in that situation." said to, showing her optimism and belief in the basic goodness of people.

"Not me," he said flatly and with the cold emotionless tone she'd come to expect from him.  His attention though was elsewhere, over her shoulder and he'd checked out from the current conversation.  Which accounted for his cold measure of tactless honestly... he wasn't truly aware that he'd just said it.  Lilly almost turned about herself as Tawny leaned to try and look around the two just as Devin placed his hand on her arm.  He touched her.  Devin didn't touch anyone.  Except maybe Tawny or to punch someone in the face.  Touching was a sign of closeness and comfort and Devin didn't maintain that level of comfort with people and it was no secret.  "S-sorry," he said, still completely distracted.  "Could you excuse me?"

The way he spoke was almost like he was an actually human for a moment as he walked past Lilly towards where Courtney and her cronies had cornered Cassidy.

Sean jumped as a hand touched his shoulder and he inwardly cursed his luck as Devin squeezed to hold him fast from running away.  Chet or Courtney might just embarass him, but as he saw the other day, Devin could possibly beat him within an inch if his life!  "Problem, Courtney?"

"No," Courtney said with a sneer and a crooked smirk.  To say that the Courtney, Chet and the Jauntsens didn't get along very well was an understatement.  The twins' cruelty came from making others recognize a certain order and hierarchy to what was school life.  When order was maintained, all was well.  When it was disrupted, Devin swooped down upon the offenders with fear and intimidation as his weapon of choice.  Chet and Courtney were the extremists in their camp, the ones who believed that cruelty and mockery were fun and should dolled out on the daily at another's expense in order to keep the masses cowed pliable.  There was nothing to gain from that, though.  It only made teachers and parents pay more attention to the school's problems and the adolescent pecking order, and in this age of school shootings... it drew too much attention.  TLDR, if Shelly were in their hands, the whole school would be fucked.  "Just reminding Cassidy here of the pecking order."

Devin smiled wide.  Sean wanted nothing more than to just run.  His stomach churned as the sickness of anticipation reared it's ugly head.  "Sounds like a great idea, let's do that."

Lilly's eye narrowed as she's witnessed the situation up to this point, but morbid curiosity led her to see how Devin might take it.  He had a fondness for targeting Cassidy.  Shoving him into lockers, swirlies, wedgies... you name it, Sean had gotten the worse of it and he was now trapped between a rock and a hard place... in public no less.  The town would see if the commotion got to be to much.

"Devin..." Tawny said softly, as if to whisper a word of warning for any foolishness he was about to get in trouble for.

"You see, Sean.  Can I call you Sean?"  He threw his arm around Sean and pulled him close.  He didn't wait for a reply as Sean's keen mind was currently in a parallel processing phase between 'WTF is going on' and 'Dear God, please delete my browser history'.  "Great.  You see the pecking order is simple, so I'll try not to take up too much of your time... see it's Devin and Marissa... then everyone else.  So, these fucking cads right here," he thumbed to Chet and Courtney.  "Know that if they lay a hand on you, they answer to me."

"Since fucking when?" Courtney shot at him.

He let go of Sean and approached them so fast that Cassidy thought whiplash may have just occurred... which was least of the concerns stacking high on flapjack plate strangeness at the moment.  "Since we moved here and fucked up your program, Courtney.  Now, it's real simple, so listen up, it's flows from my sister and me, to the gods, and then into your little ear holes for you to listen and not fuck things up."  He pointed at the two of them.  "And that's exactly what you two are doing.  There is a time and a place, and this forum is neither, you two should know that."

Chet sniffled in some fluid under his bandage.  "You're getting awful cocky Jaunth'en..."

"No, Chet, I'm not.  Now, my sister and I were quite clear that the Nerd Herd was off limits tonight.  Everyone is off limits.  We will gather, we will enjoy the evening, it will be good.  I'm not gonna let anyone, even you two screw that up with ignorant bullshit like this."  He took a step back and threw an arm around Cassidy, just as he was attempting to escape in the confusion.  "Cassidy is in my camp.  You wanna piece of him, step up and get wrecked, because I really don't have time for this cave man bullshit and a ginger who has to pick on someone just because she's cranky she didn't the have time to finger bang her self out to a Halsey video on YouTube before coming to the fair."

There was an awkward silence as Chet nodded his head softy.  "Th'e i'th hot though."

"Dude, bump it,"  Devin nodded and actually fist bumped Chet while still holding on to Sean in what felt like a strangle hold.  His mind reeled with 'this isn't happening, this isn't happening' "I know, right?"

"I'm getting awfully sick of you and your sister thinking you run run this town," Courtney leaned in, her eyes daggers.

"Well, if you could formulate a thought you vapid, vacuous, sand trap, we probably wouldn't be, now would we?"  She slapped him hard enough to make him completely realize he deserved every bit of what he just got, but damn did it feel good to say.  His lips pursed and that look formed in his eyes... that one he got right before he throttled Chet a few days ago (who now took a moment to take a few steps back).

Tawny clasped her hands over her mouth with an shocked inhale.  "Omigod... Lilly, he's about to do something stupid."

"He seems to have it under control," Lilly said honestly.

"It's Devin," Tawny reminded her.

"Fair point."  Lilly took her first step forward.  "Wait here."

4 hours ago, WS ST said:

Mr Abraham always such a happy man adjusted his glasses with one hand and with the other on Charlies arm led the boy away from the noisy crowd at the food stand.

“Hope you are ready for a very busy year after school starts. I am assuming you will continue your drama studies?”

Charlie nodded vigorously “Yes sir I am.”

“Good, good, What I wanted to discuss with you, and I just had this same discussion with Andrew, is the musical. For starters the school board shuffled the schedule of activities at the last minute and I just found out Monday that the musical which we usual put on in the second week of December as you well know, has been moved up to the week before thanksgiving. This produces several problems for moi, and by extension my star pupils.

As you know it is myself and Mrs Mckay who usually brainstorm the first weeks back at school to decide on which musical to produce, however Janice will be on maternity leave for the first half of the year. So now it is all on my shoulders and you know how I love sharing.” He flashes that infectious smile.

“I need some suggestions for what play we should do and I am going to need some help producing it this year from my stars.

What do you say Charlie, you up for a little off stage work this year?”

Charlie lit up even more, like a flashlight with overcharged batteries. "I'd love that!" It was the most glorious of dreams, helping pick and set up the musical of the year! Already ideas and dreams were flashing through his head at rocket speeds. Just when everything had been so rotten for a long time, Lady Luck was finally throwing him a bone. "When do you want me to start?"

Charlie

"You have my school e-mail right? Send me two or three possibilities you think we could pull off. I told Andrew to do the same. We'll whittle it down to one of them and then if your up to it and it won't interfere with anything else your doing we will try to get ahead of the curve and start pre-production before school even starts. What do you say Charlie."

"That sounds great Mr Abraham," Charlie beamed.

Mr Abraham patted his arm. "Oh and Charlie don't go safe or traditional. I'll be in touch" And he was off.

Charlie watched his favorite teacher as he walked away through the crowd and as he lost sight of Mr Abraham he caught site of something else. Sean being held in place by that asshole Devin Jauntson and Chet and Courtney, good lord knows what they were going to do to his friend!

Spoiler

Charlie can't tell what is going on and that Devin is actually helping Sean nor can he see Lilly heading that way from where he is standing.

Lilly strode up to gaggle of friends and foes as she gather her long, dark hair and pulled it back, tying it into a simple ponytail. Without warning she interjected herself directly between Devin and Courtney, irrespective of usual 'personal space' conventions.

"Hey Court." she said flatly with a forced smile, looking Courtney right in the eyes. "Chet." she added, giving him a quick glance and a nod of acknowledgement before returning her gaze to Courtney.

"What are you doing here 'dude'?" she said mockingly copying one of Lilly's most common verbal affectations."Shouldn't you be out scoring yourself some  more r-"

'Roids? Really? That's your only line of attack?" Lilly shrugged. "I mean, I guess I should expect it 'cause look at you, you sure only ever go for the easy stuff. I mean, like, seriously? Saying I take steroids and picking on Sean Cassidy? Really? It's been three years. Are those the only plays in your playbook?" Lilly scolded.

"I mean, I get that it is all just to hide your envy, but you do a bad job of it. It's cool though, the green goes with your red hair nicely. Now if only you'd eat some makeup so you could be pretty on the inside too." 

Chet let out a snort laugh and winced, raising a hand to his nose.

"Chet. Dude. You gotta take it easy of you want that to heal up before the season starts." she said, giving him a pat on the shoulder.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up, Lilly." Courtney growled.

Unfazed, Lilly turned back to look at Courtney and continued,

"Or what? You're gonna hit me? We both know that's not gonna happen. I mean, violence is never the answer, but it's one thing to hit a guy because you know, or at least think, he would not hit girl. It's quite another to to hit me." Lilly pointed out.

"Yeah, you might flip out and go all 'roid rager on me." Courtney said dismissively as she rolled her eyes try to salvage the situation and take control of it again..

"No. It's just that you're a coward. You have to pick on the little guys, and you only got uppity with Devin because you think can hide behind your vagina." Lilly said with a shrug.

"I mean, think about it. Look at what he already did to Chet in, like, half a second. You think he wouldn't have some line like, 'I won't hit a girl, but I'll sure as hell smack a bitch.' or something like that, and then totally check you if I weren't standing here? Do you really want me to step aside and let you finish rolling those dice?" Lilly asked.

"Just accept that you've overstepped your bounds, Court. You're never gonna beat Mari at her game, much less Devin. Just walk away while you still can. Lick you wounds, and live to fight another day. Or better yet, just grow up."

Charlie started running forward. Devin Jauntsen, if he thought they were going to do whatever malicious thing they had in mind to Sean... Well, to hell with them, Charlie didn't look favorably on violence - real-life violence anyway - but so help him, he would give Devin a nose to make a nicely matched set with Chet! He might lose, check that, probably would lose against that maniac in a brawl, never mind Chet and Courtney, but Charlie Cole would exact a high price for it!

And then ground to a halt as Lilly appeared and tore into Courtney and Chet, but seemed to be missing the part where Devin was manhandling Sean. So he still walked in with all the fury he could muster - and more that he could fake with acting. "Yes, do that. And the same goes for you," he directly a withering glare at Devin, "so get your paws off Sean."

"Dude," Devin rolled his eyes, "I was protecting him."

Charlie's eyes called bullshit enough for anyone with synesthesia to get a headache. "So help me, get your..."

"Actually," Sean mumbled, still in shock, "he kinda was?"

Charlie's eye twitched. "Sean, don't let him intimidate-"

"Charlie," Lilly cut in with a sudden bit of amusement, "Devin was, I saw and heard everything."

There was that dramatic pause, where Charlie digesting the words that by themselves were comprehensible and understandable, but together and in that order made no sense. "Alright. Then one, you can let Sean go now Devin. Two, you do not get to play that card."

"What card?" Devin asked, confused at what the drama nerd was referring to.

"The near-death experience has made me an actual human being card! Let go of Sean!"

Charlie was owed an ass whoopin'.  There was just no getting around it now, but there was more at stake than Devin's ego and that was his leadership and control of Shelly High.  He'd just told Courtney and Chet to leave Sean alone, so to turn around and throttle Glee Club for suddenly reaching down and feeling a dropped nut would only make him look like a hypocrite.

He squeezed Sean's neck like it was a walnut trapped in a nut cracker.  He leaned in and whispered to Sean, never taking his eyes off Charlie.  "Flutter away little butterfly."  He released his grip on Sean and approached Charlie.  "Flutter away."

"Let's focus on your first point, Glee Club.  You don't tell me, ever, what I can and can not do.  I'll not ask if you understand me, because the next time you do it, I'm gonna slap the taste of the rest of the drama nerd's sacs out of your mouth."

Courtney, Chet and their entourage looked upon the new spectacle like hyenas ready to feast on the scraps of Charlie's torment.  "But, the Nerd Herd is off limits tonight, so I'm going to let you and Cassidy go play grab ass with each other with all of your teeth intact.  Don't go pushing your luck, Glee Club.  Tonight won't last forever."  He gave Charlie a pat on the arm, which resulted in a flinch because these days no one quite knew what Devin was capable of.

Like Lilly a moment before he stepped around Charlie and gave Tawny a head nod signaling her that he was leaving.  "S'what I get for being nice to people.  That's why I don't do it."

His lovely blonde date scampered up behind Charlie and Devin met up with her.  "C'mon, let's go check out that weird looking girl do her music."

Tawny turned about, skipping backwards to keep step with the irritated Devin.  "Bye guys!  It was nice seeing you Lilly!  Have fun tonight!"  She waved gleefully, like nothing that had happened damaged her mirth and good cheer.

Rubbing his throat, chest heaving as he caught his breath, Sean stared after Devin as though he was some strange, unknown relative of the platypus, his eyes still wide with WTFedness. His mouth did tighten at being called a butterfly and the comment about grabbing asses - that was the pure Jauntsen he was used to. What the hell just happened? Did Devin just save him from a beating by Chourtney, or had he marked him as his personal punching bag with the headlock of death? Was he going to wake up tomorrow with Rascal's head next to him in bed?

The small, voluptuous boy gave a small two finger wave back at Tawny and Devin's retreating back, brows furrowed with uncertainty. "Um, bye?" Sean muttered, then he coughed several times to clear his voice. When he looked at Charlie and Lilly, his brows were unfurrowed, but he seemed barely more certain. "And thanks, guys. I dunno if we've been in opposite land since Devin had his seizure, but lets get out of here before Cuntney and Friends recover from being Jauntsened and we miss the start of Lona's set."

Without waiting for their agreement, Sean began walking briskly away, going a different way than Devin and Tawny did and ignoring the dark scowls and gestured threats from Courtney and Company. He was going fast enough that Charlie and Lilly had to lengthen their strides for a bit to catch up.

Sean couldn't escape the thought that he might have to thank an complete asshole like Devin, or at least that he might owe him. It seemed like Devin had interceded on his behalf, but this was Devin! He must have some ulterior motive beyond just staking a claim like the gamers and him were off limits for the night. In his experience, it just did not compute, it was like dividing by zero.

Practically on autopilot as he tried to resolve this conundrum, Sean bought a large cup of tangerine-lemonade and a bacon-wrapped corndog. Refreshed with tangy sweet lemonade and refuelled with deepfried bacony goodness, Sean began to relax as they reached the area where Lona was to perform, a growing crowd milling waiting for the show to start. He glanced up at his friends flanking him.

"Okay, I'm going to chock all that up to Devin having a seizure. A glitch that will clear up after he's been rebooted a few -- oh what the hell is happening now?! Am I the one having a seizure and misfiring synapses are making see and hear things that can't possibly be happening?"

As he exclaimed, Sean was staring at Bannon... and Clara. Holding hands! And Bannon looked... content?!

The full set on Youtube, so you can listen along. 

The small stage wasn’t much, just an elevated platform hidden in a corner of the fair. Two rows of hay bales set up in a semicircle around the stage were the only seating available, and set so closely together that people had to watch out or they’d knee the person in front of them. Still, the fair team had put her banner up for her: it was one of the more expensive things she’d bought from her busking this summer after the band went from Lara and Lona to just Avalon.

Lona peeked out from behind the army-blanket curtain to make sure everything was set. Her guitar was already on stage, in its stand, as she didn’t need it for the first few songs. She was in her cutoff jeans with combat boots, topped with a demure gray sports bra under a black sleeveless hoodie. The microphone, already run through its checks, waited for her patiently.

She scanned the audience, noting who was here and who wasn’t. Her mom was in the front row, sitting next to Lisa, with Felix bouncing on a hay bale next to her. For a second, Lona wondered if her last song was such a good pick; then her mother laughed at something Lisa said and all doubts faded. She spotted Cora from the gaming group and frowned. She’d thought that Sean would be here, too, at least. Grady and Hannah were there, of course, and so was Chloe, from the music store -- and holy shit, even Dr. Winters sat on a bale, looking completely out of place even in casual clothing. Luis and two similarly-featured boys younger than him were figuring out their seats and stomach-butterflies attacked in force as Lona realized that people were really coming to see her. Fucking Devin and sweet Tawny walked in, which was just fucking awesome. Even as she was dealing with the fact that the Shelly Sociopath was going to be watching her perform, Sean, Charlie, and Lilly made their way to the front of the crowd. Then she spotted Clara standing next to Bannon and her gut unknotted. She wasn’t alone.

“Go on, girl, it’s time,” Marv the scheduling manager said, not looking up from his clipboard. “This ain’t New York, you can intro yourself.”

Rolling her eyes at the top of his head, she stepped up to the mike and centered herself under the single, stationary spot shining on her. “Hi, I’m Avalon. Thanks for coming,” she said simply as soon as her mom stopped clapping. She nodded to the sound guy (with his system of two speakers and a laptop set up on a folding table in the back) and smiled as the first uplifting notes of Joy filled the area.

Lona belted out the lyrics, feeling the energy rise from the audience. People moved, nodding heads or dancing as they felt moved; Felix was grooving away with six-year-old enthusiasm. As she wound to the end, clapping filled the little nook, but the music never stopped, just moving into the next song. Alligator continued the theme, as Joy flowed neatly into it, keeping things lively and upbeat. 

Then came Sister, and Lona found herself looking anywhere in the tent but at Clara, right until she sang the final chorus. Clara stared at her, tears flowing down her face and Lona just gave her a single nod before she had to look away or cry herself. She couldn’t lose it yet, not until the finale.

The thumping beats of Bad Guy pounded through the speakers, and Lona flipped the hood of her hoodie up as she jerked the zipper down several inches. Anyone who had seen the song’s music video knew the look she was going for, and Lona added a bit of sway to the song during the times she wasn’t singing. By the time she was done, Lona was pleased to see the uncomfortable look on her mother’s face. 

Enjoy being the center of town gossip for a while!

Zipping up the hoodie as she retrieved her guitar, she turned back to the mike. “Here’s a few of the songs I love to play. I hope you enjoy them too.” Setting her fingers on the strings, she started the chords to What if I Never Get Over You. As always, the sad lyrics left her feeling bittersweet, and she relaxed into the familiar notes. Now that it was just her and the guitar, she could feel the energy building from the audience. 

The next song was relatively innocent, and the second song without overt mentions to sex relaxed the adults more, even if her mother still wasn’t looking happy. She managed to clap when someone else in the audience started it, but it looked a little stiff, even from the stage. Hey Brother wasn’t the type of music popular around here, but it was fun and a little peppy, and a nice choice to make people think that the worst was over.

Pausing at the end of Hey Brother, she leaned into the mike again and said, “This next song is a special request from a fan. I just learned the song, so I haven’t beta tested it.” Smiling at Luis, she strummed the opening notes of God’s Country. He whooped in delight as she started singing, and when she finished, he gave her a standing ovation. His enthusiasm dragged a few more people to their feet, too. 

Shifting into the familiar notes of Hurt brought the alarmed look back to her mother’s face, but Lona didn’t stop. She had a plan and she was seeing it through. Several people were singing along with the lyrics; Cash was popular in the area. Most gratifying and unsettling than her mother’s reaction Gerault’s. His pleasant expression through Bad Guy hadn’t shifted an iota, but as she started to croon the opening lyrics, he frowned. None of Lona’s rebellion had caused him to so much as raise an eyebrow, but apparently something about this song had finally caught his attention. Adele was just glaring, even as she forced a smile, trying to pretend it was alright even when everything was wrong.

The messages continued with You Don’t Know. Lona didn’t care anymore that she was baring her soul to the whole town, that she was letting everyone see her fucked up head. She had been planning this exposure all summer, ever since her mom had set her own for the “Little Talk” that had ruined everything. This moment had become her time to speak without being ignored, without interruption, or an adult talking down to her. Everyone here was listening to her, and Lona didn’t hold back. For one song, she was a siren of old, entrapping the crowd and drawing them into her grief and anger with her. 

The applause from the last song faded as Lona said, “Thanks for listening tonight, guys. This last song is a dedication to my dad. It was one of his favorites. In fact,” she added, locking eyes with her mom, “this is the song he picked for his first dance with his wife.” As Adele paled, Lona strummed the opening of I Cross My Heart, singing every word to her. 

Her mother started to cry, but she lasted the first verse, hunched over on herself. As the chorus filled the area, Adele bolted, pushing through the crowd in her haste to get away. Lona shifted her baleful gaze to Clara’s parents, but Lisa had followed Adele, ever the faithful friend. Gerault met Lona’s gaze without flinching, his hands followed in his lap. 

She was elated by the results of tonight, but the trap set for her mother had caught her as well. Her father had asked her to sing this to him so many times when he was sick or in pain, and Lona felt the tears come. With a mental fuck it, she let them go, tracing silver lines down her face as the focus of the song shifted from hurting her mother to loving her father. 

Lona waved to the crowd, suddenly worn out. “Thanks, guys,” she said one more time, clutching her guitar. The trusty old instrument felt like it weighed a hundred pounds, but she held tight as she exited the stage and sank into a chair, head hanging. She thought she’d be fine when she was done singing, but the grief had her in its jaws and soon her guitar slipped to the floor as she wept into her hands, beyond caring who saw her cry.

Jase lost the hand he'd been clasping when Clara wiped away the tears from her face after Sister.  He could feel the other teen tense more and more through the rest of the songs, a coil winding well past what should have been a breaking point. An angry frown followed Adele and Lisa when the two exited the performance area; she made no move to go after them.  When the set finally ended, she murmured a distracted, "I've got to go," to him before melting away from his side.

Lona felt arms descend around her - not the adult arms of the mother that they should have been, but the scent of Clara's light perfume brought back memories of years living in the same room and crowded close around her father's bed, singing him to sleep when the meds didn't work. For once, Clara didn't say anything; she didn't try to fix anything, she just held Lona like they were both ten again and hiding from the monsters that had moved in under Lona's brand new bed.

The two sat there, faces wet and ignoring the entirety of the world swirling around them, but the world was not ignoring them. Gerault watched his two young women he thought of as daughters finally seem to reconcile, a pensive frown as he mulled over Lona's song choices. Seeing the two bonding again, he sighed and pulled out his phone, following the blue dot of his wife's own pocket supercomputer away from the small temporary stage. Further back, a lanky teen kept himself to the shade of a food tent. He slid the stone beads of a bracelet back and forth, trying to understand the scene he'd walked in on. His eyes flicked between Jase and Clara, considering, before he pushed off the pole of the tent and retreated back into the fair. Not the time, not the place. Maybe it's something else.

When her hand was pulled from his Jase tensed for a moment, glancing sideways at Clara.  A look at her face glistening with tears as she watched Lona perform reassured him, even as the calculus of camouflage told him that 'reassurance' was not the appropriate response to tears on a young woman's face.  But then, what was?  Should he make some gesture of sympathy?  Would she welcome that?  As the warm glow of human contact faded, clarity resumed in the chilly depths of his mind, petals that had opened to the warmth closing again protectively from the frost.  She had been alone, and lost.  He had used her for a moment of warm contact, providing an anchor against her isolation, but now she did not need that anchor  anymore.  Watching Clara's face as she watched the 'stage', Jase realised that he had only ever been a temporary measure - Lona was Clara's focal point.  Whatever had come between them was being broken down, or at least weakened by the music.

He turned back to watch the set, eyes half-closing as he listened to the music, each piece raw with the emotion of Avalon's voice.  Even to his limited awareness of the emotions of others, he realised that a lot of the songs had meaning for her - meanings of pain and anger.  They had meaning for Clara, too.  Curious, he opened his eyes once more and looked around, finding the family in the front row.  Lona's mother looked stricken, Clara's parents looked disturbed.  He tried to analyse this, but was only left with supposition and more questions.  The emotional landscape many people moved in was foreign territory, especially when dealing with grief or guilt or remorse.  Jase could intellectually try to comprehend it, but had only the muted sense of loss he had felt when his father had been jailed and his mother had abandoned him.  Was that grief?  In many ways he felt more anger than anything else regarding those events, anger that he had long since learned to mask, embers tamped down under a layer of ice.  He didn't know enough about how people felt and processed feelings, and that was frustrating for more than one reason.  Without that understanding, his mask was tenuous and badly crafted, too easy to see through if he let anyone close enough.  Without that understanding, his friendships would always be shallow things.

As Clara murmured her intent and slipped from his side, he felt the absence of her for a brief moment, a pang like a stitch being pulled - a twinge then done.  She hurried to Lona's side, kneeling and wrapping arms around her, and Jase watched with an intent, direct stare, head tilting to one side as he absorbed what meaning he could.  He was not discomfited by the display of emotion as were those around him, who were turning away or talking to one another, pretending that what was in front of them was not happening.  He wanted to go closer, to witness this thing.  But that would not be appropriate and so he turned away, moving through the crowd, his habitual slouching gait and shuttered expression back in place.

Deep in thought, head lowered and hands in his pockets, Jase wandered away from the stage.

As Lona played the audience went along with her. The older folks in the crowd didn't care much for the first few songs, most of them didn't understand or even make any attempt to listen to the words the girl most of them knew but hardly recognized anymore sang. The younger persons, Lona's peers, and her friends, and even those younger, felt the beat and many even knew the songs and were impressed that Lona had the, not only the guts to play this music here, but the talent to pull it off. They swayed and danced.

Everyone by the end of the set was carried away by the intense emotions displayed even if none of them knew what it meant.

INTERCUT

BULWARK AFB

SECRET REMOTE OPERATIONS CENTER

Six hundred feet underground in the single most secure facility in the state of Montana, so secure that you needed a top secret security clearance just to sweep the floors. Usually this facility did it's work when it was the dead of night where their targets were and now was no different but still it was a time of war even if most of the world had forgotten or chosen t o ignore that and so, the stations were manned should their particular skills and services be needed by their country.

Most of the screen lining the view wall displayed their screen savers as they had no feed currently, the central screen had an over all image of the operations theater from the direct satellite feed. the image shifted ever few minutes or so as the monitored satellites were cycled through.

No one noticed the first few flickers of static, they each lasted less than a second. then every screen and data feed went out for 4.6 seconds came back and then failed again.

"What the hell!"

The screens came back flickered and this time the lights in the facility flickered as well. This went on for the next twenty three minuets then abruptly stopped and all systems were fine as if nothing had occurred. Diagnostics were run and according to the machines nothing had occurred.

The officer of the watched reported the incident to his superiors.

Spoiler

FYI none of your characters, even Lilly know of the existence of this facility.

It had taken some doing to convince his Mom and sister to go to Lona's concert, but they did go, even if they arrived abit late.   He saw some of his friends in the audience already, but remained with his family, simply there to share the experience.   While most of the songs weren't his kind of music, he recognized her cover of Hurt, and smiled at the soul she gave the song.   When the set was over, the crowd began to break up, and his mother smiled.  "Your friend has a lovely singing voice."   

Cade smiled back.  "She really does.   That took alot of guts, getting up there and singing in front of everyone like that, I could never do that."   

Haruka was quick to come back "Yeah, I've heard you sing, and you really shouldn't."   Cade grunted as his little sister too a shot at him, and let it go, mostly.

"That right squirt?"   She was quite petite, and teasing her about that was always sure to get at her.   As Haruka looked up at him, making it worse for her, Miyako chuckled.  "allright you two, settle down.  No need to keep trading barbs, each of you got one."   

Ever the peacemaker, the diminuitive Japanese woman still had a calming effect on both of them, and they were soon back to the happy family they were the rest of the time.   

It was at this point that Ian Allistair finally joined his family.   "So, have y'all had fun tonight?"

Cade was the first to reply  "Finally free for the evening Dad?"   Haruka of course hugged her Father, always happy to see him and showed him the bear Cade won her.   "You went easy on him I hope?"  

Cade nodded, and Miyako chuckled again.   "He stopped after he won her that only, so I'd say yes, he did.  I trust you're free the rest of the evening?"   When Ian nodded, she turned to Cade.  "I know you'd like to spend some time with your friends, so after we go get something to eat together, you can go ahead and do so.  Your father will be with us the rest of the night."  

Cade nodded in appreciation.  He'd said nothing, but his mother clearly read his intentions, so With his father in the lead they went to eat from the fair's many stalls.   Not too long after that, Cade was on his own, heading off to see what the others were up to.

THE FAIR

Dr Cook wouldn’t normally be at this sort of event but sometimes you must do things you don’t want too. Rayleigh had made it perfectly clear that he wanted all the senior staff to attend the opening ceremonies of the fair this year after last year’s embarrassing showing where only those with family members who had other fair commitments showed up.

Cook might not like these sorts of affairs but at the vary least they could be educational and made for some interesting in person observations

With him tonight as his ‘date’ was Julia Carter and as dates go, he could have done worse. She was elegant and attractive and while she could be cold when at work outside of the hospital labs, she was pleasant to be around.

They had had an early dinner before coming to the fair since neither were inclined to partake of the exceedingly unhealthy offering there and had after arriving simple walked around watch and chatting about their observations. They eventually made their way to the entertainment area and the main stage where Lona was performing.

“She’s good, very talented,” said Julia after the teen’s performance (totally missing the emotional turmoil).

“Hmph” Was all that Cook responded with his attention being on a couple of his patients. He took Dr Carter gently by the arm and led her through the crowd until he was only a few feet away from Devin Jauntson. He stopped and when Devin acknowledged his presence with a look, he spoke. “Julia I’d like you to meet Devin Jauntson and… Tawney Roberts, isn’t it?” Tawney looked surprised that Dr Cook knew her name. “This is Dr Julia Carter; she is our top neurologist.”

Carter completely ignores Tawney and extends her hand to Devin, “The boy who had the seizure, pleased to meet you.”

Cook’s slight shake of the head at Julia’s manner was unnoticed by everyone but devin. “So, Devin, How have you been feeling,” Asked Dr Cook?

Arriving a bit late, Sean, Lilly, and Charlie found a spot in the second row of hay bales, double-stacked they could see over the first row. Lona had been moody last several months, clearly dealing with stuff at home and the lost of her father, but Sean really had to give her props for putting it all out there. He was still working at not worrying as much about how others saw him. He didn't want to presume, but maybe he should offer Lona his therapist's number. She needed to talk with someone, and with cutting Clara off...

At Lona's rendition of Sister, with Lilly grooving unabashedly to the tunes, Sean smiled crookedly, unable to see the effect it was having on Clara as he was sitting behind her.  Sean's sisters had pretty much always teased him, and yes, sometimes they had gone too far. But it had been them that had gotten him to embrace dressing up for Halloween. And now with Teagan gone off and joining the military, Laurie was hanging around with him more than she used too. Missing one sister, she was using a brother who could pass as a sister to cushion the loss. Surprisingly, he didn't find it that annoying.

Okay, still annoying sometimes, but not as much as he expected... except for her subtly suggesting he should try on a dress.

When Lona got to I Cross My Heart, a melancholy smile curved his lips as he pulled his knees up to his chest, hands wrapping around his shins. His odd turquoise eyes with their jagged rings of teal grew tight as he forced back impending tears. Having always been delicate in appearance, and increasingly feminine while afflicted with puberty, Sean had always tried to hide his tears from everyone.

It had been near five years since Sean had lost his grandfather on his father's side, but the clear pain and loss in Lona's evocative singing made echoing sentiments rise inside him, though a different song was ringing in his head. His grandfather had passed away after a bad bout of Alzheimer's, and though he had kept a good, funny self mocking deposition to the end, it had been hard, especially to Sean. With an excellent, maybe too excellent memory, the though of losing his mind was terrifying terrible to Sean. He had thought he had come to terms with it, it had been five years, but Lona's singing seemed to prove the sense of loss still lingered.

When Clara went to Lona, Sean looked away in the pretense of giving them what limited privacy he could for their release of emotion and missing Jase skulk away. But his jaw was tight, teeth gritted as he breathed deep and slow, as he collected himself and pushed down tears that had threatened to well.

"Hey, dude, you okay?" Lilly asked, placing a hand on his slender shoulder.

Sean tossed his head of deep, vivid red hair and offered her a small grin that even seemed genuine. "Yeah, I fine. It's just Lona's song made me think of Grampa. I hadn't thought about him in while." He stood up and nodded at where Clara was holding Lona without actually really looking at them. "I know we've been hearing her play and sing for years, but Lona's good. Like, really good."

Standing on a level of hay bales, Sean was able to see over the heads of the crowd and was surprised to see Dr. Cook talking to the Jauntsens. A faint frown crossed his face. Dr. Cook was a renowned diagnostician - Sean had been seeing him since he was ten. If he was seeing Devin, then the cause of his seizure must not be a simple thing.

He pursed his lips, considering going over there to say hi to Dr. Cook, but didn't want to intrude, and mostly, not sure what he'd say to Devin. "I should probably go and see how Laurie and Rascal are doing."

Lilly listened to the first few songs as she relaxed on the hay bale. They were fine, but not particularly her taste, though she could still appreciate Lona's vocal talent. Then she got the third song, "Sister", and Lilly smiled broadly. This was a song she knew and would listen to in her running mix. It was a great beat and an enjoyable song and Lilly was clearly grooving to it in her seat, swaying and mouthing the words herself. Granted, she did not have any siblings, but for Lilly her friends were her surrogate siblings. The idea that the song had some special meaning meant for Clara, like some sort of peace overture, did occur to Lilly. She hoped Clara was there to hear it, however unlikely it might be. She did not want friends fighting, most of them already had enough pain in their lives. 'Shared joy is a double joy. Shared sorrow is half sorrow.' was a Swedish proverb her mother had cited several times in her life and one that always stuck with Lilly, making her appreciate friends and family all the more.

Like the first two songs, Lona performed "Bad Guy" well, but the way the lyrics would start and stop was a bit off putting to Lilly, not to mention the song in general. "What If I Never Get Over You" was new to Lilly, but she liked it almost right away and in no time she was swaying in her seat again, clapping along to it and singing along, at least with the chorus, pretty quickly with a big smile which continued through "Hey Brother". Lilly enjoyed both songs and certainly seemed to live the 'Dance like nobody is watching' saying as she swayed, clapped and sang along with the songs, utterly uncaring what anybody else might think. She was there to support and friend and Lona was a great performer which made it even better. With luck, Lona would see her and find some support in her friend's enjoyment of her performance.

The rest of the songs were fine and not nearly as 'grooveable', but Lilly did appreciate Lona's retention of "Hurt". Johnny Cash had taken that song and lifted it to a whole new level with simplicity and emotion, which Lona was easily on par with, causing Lilly to close her eyes for most of the song, singing along softly.

1 hour ago, Sean Cassidy said:

When Clara went to Lona, Sean looked away in the pretense of giving them what limited privacy he could for their release of emotion. But his jaw was tight, teeth gritted as he breathed deep and slow, as he collected himself and pushed down tears that had threatened to well.

"Hey, dude, you okay?" Lilly asked, placing a hand on his slender shoulder.

Sean tossed his head of deep, vivid red hair and offered her a small grin that even seemed genuine. "Yeah, I fine. It's just Lona's song made me think of Grampa. I hadn't thought about him in while." He stood up and nodded at where Clara was holding Lona without actually really looking at them. "I know we've been hearing her play and sing for years, but Lona's good. Like, really good."

Standing on a level of hay bales, Sean was able to see over the heads of the crowd and was surprised to see Dr. Cook talking to the Jauntsens. A faint frown crossed his face. Dr. Cook was a renowned diagnostician - Sean had been seeing him since he was ten. If he was seeing Devin, then the cause of his seizure must not be a simple thing.

He pursed his lips, considering going over there to say hi to Dr. Cook, but didn't want to intrude, and mostly, not sure what he'd say to Devin. "I should probably go and see how Laurie and Rascal are doing."

Lona and Clara were having a moment that was best left to themselves. Cade was with his family and Lilly had sworn that she saw Jase with Clara when she got there, but could not find him now.

"Oh yeah! I'll walk with you. I wanna see Lori and Lacy's pig, Applesauce, too. They are pretty proud of him. Or her? Whatever. "It" I guess." she said to Sean. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on her friend just in case Courtney and/or Chet got any bright ideas.

Lilly then looked to Charlie. "You coming? Or are you gonna go tell Devin to leave Tawny alone now?" she said joking with a smile

20 hours ago, WS ST said:

THE FAIR

He stopped and when Devin acknowledged his presence with a look, he spoke. “Julia I’d like you to meet Devin Jauntson and… Tawney Roberts, isn’t it?” Tawney looked surprised that Dr Cook knew her name. “This is Dr Julia Carter; she is our top neurologist.”

Carter completely ignores Tawney and extends her hand to Devin, “The boy who had the seizure, pleased to meet you.”

Cook’s slight shake of the head at Julia’s manner was unnoticed by everyone but devin. “So, Devin, How have you been feeling,” Asked Dr Cook?

"Top neurologist," Devin said, pursing his lips into that frown people make when they're feigning being impressed.  "Wow.  As a sixteen year old young adult you gotta understand that... 'neurologist' doesn't really impress me."  He nodded.  "Yeah, prolly shoulda opened with what she looks like in a bikini, maybe back it up with a few pics?"

He shrugged as Dr. Carter concealed a smirk in response to the kid's gall.  "Nice to meet you though," he extended his hand and greeted her more formally.  Leaning into the handshake he added.  "You can do better though, this guy?  Strictly missionary and and you strike as more a Fifty Shades kinda needs.  It won't last."

"Wow," Dr. Carter said with a raised eyebrow and a devilish smirk that border lined on flirtatious.  "You're right."  She slid two fingers out from her pocket and between them was a slip of paper.  For a moment Devin thought she was going to slip him her number until she instead she slipped it to Dr. Cook instead.  In better light it was a crisp, five dollar bill.  The flirtatious smirk left her lips.  She was friendly, but far from phased by his antics.  "Kid does have quite a mouth on him."

Adorned with an equally crisp smirk while he tucked the five spot away.  "Yes, yes he does.  Sorry, Devin, she was forewarned."  He pointed at Devin while addressing Dr. Carter. "I only twenty four hours he managed to cause one nurse to resign, two refuse to ever work with children ever again, two others wondered if it was possible to file sexual harassment against someone who recently endured brain trauma, and yet another one, an intern, actually wanted you to call her back.  She said he was, and I quote, 'cute'."

"Stacy?"  Devin asked.

"Janelle," Dr. Cook corrected.

"Ah, Janelle... crazy kid, we had such good times."  Devin shook his head in reminiscent thought.

Dr. Carter laughed softly.  If anything Devin was certainly unique among Shelly's teenagers.  "I'd say he's feeling okay."

"Yeah," Devin shrugged.  "Been feeling great, honestly.  I was a little worn down after all the testing for a day, but after a night of sleep, I've been great.  Oh, and half that five is mine, dude.  I totally set you up for that profit."

Cook shared another look with Carter then turned that smile back on Devin and this time Cook included Tawney. "I'm glad to hear that. I still want you to come in next week. Your mom hasn't made an appointment yet, you'll remind her. And Devin," again he includes Tawney in the look, "remember anything out of the ordinary, any pain, dizziness, even mood swings, you let me know okay?"

Cook ended that with a hand on Devin's should for just a second, but in that second Devin felt that Dr Cook was being completely serious and sincere. Devin, for a split second robbed of his uncanny wit, just nodded, "Sure Doc, I will."

"Good," Cook beamed at the two youths, "Well we have to go mingle. Dr Raleigh's orders and I am sure you two don't want to hang out with a couple of old fogies. You guys have fun and stay out of trouble."

Everyone mutters good byes and Cook and Carter walked away casually but with purpose. Devin noticed that the two doctors were heading toward Sean Cassidy and his gang of nerds.

Sean saw Cook and a woman he didn't recognize coming toward him, he cursed silently and looked at his friends, "Hey guys I'll catch up in a minute." the he made a bee line toward the doctor to at least get out of earshot of his friends. "Hey Dr. Cook," he said with a little wave. Dr Cook stopped and watched the small boy close the distance.

"Hello Sean, " He gestured at the woman, "Dr Carter, Sean Cassidy. Sean has been a patient of mine for several years as well as Dr Thayer's, who," Cook turns that smile full force upon Sean, "has informed me that he has called off his last two appointments."

Carter is now very openly looking Sean up and down as if he were one of the animals in Rascals barn.

Spoiler

Thayer is the endocrinologist that has been treating Sean for years.

"Hey kid."  The greeting was softly spoken, but the familiar tone was enough to pull Jase from his introspection as he looked up to see Hank standing in his path, dressed in his usual hard-wearing denims and shirt.  The imposing, craggy features relaxed in a smile as the ex-Marine offered Jase a fist-bump in greeting which Bannon returned almost automatically, still surprised to see 'Uncle Hank' down from his farm in the boonies.  The stoic teen smiled back slightly, accepting the offered bottle of water and taking a swig before handing it back.

"Hank."  Jase relaxed a little as he spoke.  Hank Graskle was technically a resident of Toole County, but was so seldom seen in anything resembling a social situation that most people thought of him as an outsider - which suited the recluse just fine.  At least in part, the Bannon household's friendship with Graskle was one of the reasons Sheriff Allister was wary of his son hanging around with Jase.  Though both ex-Marines with plenty of decorations, Graskle's military record was a mass of blacked-out and redacted information, which did not reassure the Sheriff when he considered the man's affiliation with a local militia group.  Not that Hank broke the law, at least in any obvious ways.  He was quiet, even polite in a laconic country-boy way.  He didn't cause trouble and indeed had calmed down situations involving his fellows in the Sons of the Constitution.  Sheriff Allister couldn't point at any concrete evidence that Graskle was trouble, but he found the man unsettling to his strait-laced law-enforcement instincts.  Graskle wasn't trouble, but he could be a lot of trouble if he got it in his head to be - that was the issue.

To Jase, Hank was a guiding star in a similar way to Lilly and Sean, and possibly the only person in the world Jase trusted to see the 'real' him.  Though they had never come right out and discussed it, they recognised something similar in each other, and the older man had worked hard to help Bannon rein in his temper and impulses, teaching him self-discipline.  It was Hank that had gotten Bannon into running to work out his frustrations, that had taught the teen what he knew about first aid, hunting and making things that go 'bang'.  After the incident in freshman year that had seen Bannon suspended for a week, Hank had taken him under his wing for a time, giving Gar Bannon a break from his hostile, angry son.  It was the calm, patient talks they had while spending time fishing that helped Jase formulate guidelines for not getting into trouble, and had started him down the path that led away from disaster.

"Didn't think I'd see you here."  Jase said with a wry flash of a grin as he looked around at the crowds and the lights.

"I like listening to the girl sing.  She's got talent."  Hank shrugged.  "Pity it was just Avalon this year - but maybe next year the band'll be back together."  Deep set eyes regarded Jase steadily as he spoke.  "Saw you with the Wright girl." he remarked.  Jase nodded, meeting Hank's eyes in the same unblinking fashion.  Hank was the only one he didn't need to pretend around.

"Yes.  She needed to know where the stage was."  Bannon responded with no trace of embarrassment.

"You like her?"  Hank asked directly.  Jase pondered that.  He'd spent very little time with Clara, but... 

"Yes.  I think I do.  She's surprising."  he replied.  "I expected her to act as though she was too good to talk to me, but she doesn't.  She took my hand."  He paused.  "It felt nice."

"Don't expect things to come just because of that."  Hank warned calmly, scrutinising Jase carefully.  "She seemed distracted.  Maybe she likes you.  Maybe she likes you likes you.  But let her decide that.  It'll save you pain."  Jase nodded, matching Hank's advice with his own musings.  "How're your other friends?"  Hank went on, his eyes and Jase's still on one another.

"Good."  Jase said, then paused and frowned, analysing his words.  "I mean, I think they are.  Sean still is very embarrassed about having tits.  Lona-"  he glanced at the stage, then back to Hank.  "I think she is still hurting?"  He asked rather than stated.  Hank nodded, motioning Jase to continue.  "I don't know what to do about that, so I just don't do anything.  I just treat her as normal.  Lilly is Lilly."  And the young man smiled a little.  "Always seeing the best, always trying to show it to others."

"You still think you love her?"  Hank asked, head tilting to one side.  Jase didn't blush or look away, instead adopting an air of concentration.

"She is a good friend.  And I find her attractive physically - I mean, she's hot.  I trust her more than most.  I care what she thinks."  He frowned, brow furrowing in thought.  "Is that love?"

"Can't answer that for you, kid."  Hank shrugged.  "There's a shit-ton of songs and poems and movies about love, but everyone's got their own point of view.  What's important is what you think."

"'Love is a thing that is full of cares and fears'."  Jase quoted, considering.  "I care what Lilly thinks of me, I fear that she will recoil from me.  But that applies to Sean, too.  And to a lesser extent Lona, Charlie and Cade."  And now maybe Clara, he mused silently.

"Yeah, but you don't lust after Sean."  Hank stated with a short bark of a laugh.  "Love of a friend is different from romance.  Do you think Lilly likes you the same way?"

"Why are we talking about this?"  Jase asked with a smile, not at all uncomfortable, merely curious.  Hank clapped him on the shoulder with a grin.

"You're at the age where it needs to be thought about.  And your dad can't talk to you about it."  The older man shrugged.  "He has scars that are too fresh, and he's too close to you.  He'd fuck it up with his baggage."  Hank paused.  "Word to the wise, kid.  Don't try to force love, in you or them.  Let it happen if it happens, don't try to make it happen.  You understand?"  At Jase's nod, Hank nodded in return before turning to go.  "See you on the weekend, kid."

Jase watched the burly figure of the ex-soldier move away through the crowd and scratched the back of his head, considering.  Hank had a way of pushing his thoughts into clarity, removing confusion and frustration.  The lanky young man leaned against a fence post, hands in his pockets, and watched the crowd as he pondered.  He saw his friends being approached by a couple of 'dults - doctors, he realised - and decided not to approach them yet.  Bannon's attitude to doctors was similar to his attitude to vultures - they served a purpose but he didn't care to hang around them.  Especially doctors who liked to try and analyse him.

"Ah, Cassidy," Devin smirked.  He was seeing the world differenty lately, that was for sure, but a leopard never truly changed it's spots.  "One of Shelly's seven great wonders.  Greeks had centaurs, we have Sean.  Fifty percent man, fifty percent woman, and one hundred percent drama about the whole damn thing.  Well, you guys enjoy, I'm out.  I'll remind my mom about the appointment."

Later Doctor Carter, when you dumb this clown, gimme a call," he put his thumb and pinky up like a phone to his ear.  "Thanks for the mammaries."  He winched, faking catching himself.  "Oops, sorry Sean, my bad."

Devin and Tawny, who for the most part didn't say much, after all it was Devin's medical business, turned to leave and walked off a few steps.  "Oh, hold on a sec," Tawny asked Devin as she let go of his arm and ran back to the doctors.  "Girl issues, be right back."

Like most guys Devin wanted no part in feminine issues and if that's what Tawny said it was... oh look, a food truck.  He meandered away and proceeded to order them both a big souvenir cup of freshly made lemonade while she handled what she needed to handle.  The perpetually sweet blonde approached Dr. Cook with a smile and shot Sean an energetic wave.  Hey, Doctor Cook?  Um, i it possible for someone to, I don't know, be 'damaged' by a seizure like what he had?"

"It's a possibility," Dr. Carter inserted.  He expression took on a tone of seriousness as Devin seemed the least likely of sorts to admit to any problems.  Like most teenagers thought, his friends were always the most likely source of information out of naive concern.  "Why, is Devin alright, Tawny?  Has he shown any sort of awkward behavior?"

"Jauntsen was damaged before the seizure," Sean interjected with a bit of spite.

"I'll not argue that, Sean," Tawny said with such empathetic kindness that Sean almost felt bad for saying it.  She was so nice, like the anti-Marissa...  "But he, like you, has his own problems to deal with.  We all do.  You cope and lash out in your ways, and he in his.  Which is sort of my point, Doctor Carter... Devin seems fine but he's just... doing stuff.  Red flag stuff, like when a suicide candidate starts giving away all their stuff-"

"Tawny," Dr. Carter suddenly became very serious and very focused.  "Is Devin hurting himself?  Has he said or done anything that might make you think he would?"

"N-no!  No... please, don't misunderstand what I meant... he's just... I don't know.  Not Devin lately.  Devin hates everyone and everything, he's like the Joker but without the laughter."

"Just wants to watch the world burn?"  Sean said calmly, getting the reference she was trying to make.

"Yeah, but lately he's been decent, kind and borderline generous.  I mean, traits of himself are still bleeding over, but he protected the lower class man from bullies and offered a sincere apology to someone, which I honestly didn't think he'd ever do.  Plus, of all things, he said 'Montana has such beautiful sunsets'.  Devin hates Montana.  Hates.  And he never uses words like 'beautiful' it either 'doesn't suck', 'I'd hit it' or 'it's a dumpster fire'.  It's like he's gone and spun about... I'm a little worried about him."

23 hours ago, Lilly Pryor said:

Lilly then looked to Charlie. "You coming? Or are you gonna go tell Devin to leave Tawny alone now?" she said joking with a smile.

"What does she see in him?" Charlie grumbled, but took the point of the joke. "Sure." Then Sean swept off to meet up with the doctors. "Or not. Shall we wait or start out to greet Wilbur?"

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unlocked this topic
  • Nina unpinned this topic

Archived