WEIRDER STUFF - Over The Rainbow

WS ST

Sean was distracted by the escalating confrontation between Devin and Chet by the arrival of Sara Hutchins. His mouth dropped open in shock, and if he was being honest, at least some (a lot of) envy. Sara had always been tall and athletic, but over the summer, she'd grown massive with muscle. If she wasn't quite as tall as his sister Teagan, she was clearly broader across the shoulders, with thicker arms. She's twice as wide as I am, Sean wondered. I could have worked out since I started growing boobs and I still wouldn't be half that buff...

His gaze was pulled away from Sara by the sound of a fist finding a face. His lips twitched into a grin at seeing some of his biggest tormentors coming to blows, but it quickly faded into a frown when he saw how serious it was. Chet was taken out by a single punch that busted his nose. Lilly jumped up to intervene and he didn't even see her down anything, but suddenly Devin was going down. No, not down, having a fit or seizure or something.

Sean froze for a moment, not sure what to do. Devin and Chet bullied him mercilessly, but even so, he should probably do something to help. Bannon, Charlie, and Lona followed right after Lilly, but he didn't. By the time he remembered his phone on the table, Cass and Clara were already on their own, calling 9-1-1. Sean glanced anxiously around the table as though an answer would congeal there if he looked hard enough. Water? I should get them water...

At the snapping of fingers and Bannon's command, Sean shook his head and focused. When he caught up to what Bannon was saying though, he hesitated, chewing on a lip. He really didn't want to take off his hoodie, let alone being the one to give Devin something soft to lay on.

"Now, Sean!" Bannon's sharp voice and hard eyes brooked no delay.

"Oh... okay, Jase," Sean said reluctantly, planting a hand on the vinyl cushion and shifting his hips to scoot out of the booth. Dammit, dammit, dammit.

He scampered over to where Lilly was bracing Devin, scowled sulkily, then with a sigh began pulling off his hoodie. He struggled a bit, trying to get it off, face going almost as red as his hoodie and when he did, it was clear why. Where Sara had added considerable muscle over the summer, the Triforce on Sean's sweat-stained green shirt was distorted over a chest at least as impressive as Max's. It wasn't that much of a surprise to those who saw him regularly but the addition of a couple more cup sizes was a surprise to most of the others.

Except with the commotion, it seemed like nobody noticed or cared. Sean folded his hoodie and then squatted down to sit down on the linoleum, his legs stretched out before him, a hand behind to brace himself. He could feel sweat trickling down his back and his front, but taking off the damn hoodie was a relief from the heat, at least.

With Lilly's help, they positioned position Devin so that his head was pillowed by the hoodie over his thighs. Sean was anything but calm, and even in the best of times, he rarely would have been able to find calm words for Devin. But math and numbers were easy, Sean could do that in his sleep, so he began quoting famous equations and number sequences, using them to calm himself more than Devin.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scene was deteriorating into a sea of pandemonium as the other patrons across the restaurant finally began to recognize what was happening. people stood and started to crowd as the teens, as uncharacteristic as it seemed for teens, kept calm and level headed and tended the fallen with skill beyond their years.

Bunnee flew from the kitchen and shouted for every one to make room He told Max to get everyone back  and he stomped in to assess the situation. He didn't interfere with the kids who were helping Chet and Devin and he took note that at least two of the young adults were on their phones talking to 911. Max for her part tried to get the crowd to give them room but her diminutive size and demeanor didn't have much impact. Sara Hutchins seeing this, moved to her aid and with a louder voice and imposing frame got the other patron to move back. Already sirens could be heard approaching

On the floor Chet's eyes fluttered open, they were unfocused but at least he was alive and conscious.

Devin could see but he couldn't move, couldn't even feel the spasms shaking his body, could hear anything except the roar of a raging river. The room still spun haphazardly the only constant was a face and a pair of eyes, Lilly's eyes. Then he heard something as he stared into those eyes. numbers, equations he felt something soft under his head and there was a second set of eyes with Lilly's, the weird eyes of Sean Cassidy eyes he had made fun of but this close they were kind of pretty.

He felt his body give one massive jolt and he could feel again. He could move.

Outside in the parking lot two ambulances from he Trauma center screamed onto the property at the same time the Fire rescue truck arrive at the side of the diner

Spoiler

Ambulances and emt's are on the scene the Sheriff will be there shortly. Devin is awake and fully functional  Chet is awake but has a concussion. back in your court

Lilly's gaze shifted back and forth between each of Devin's eyes as awareness came back to them and the seizure seemed to subside, cradling his cheeks in her hands. Devin and Chet might be asses, and was not against them checking each other, but in the end she did not want any real harm to come to them

"Dude? Are you back? You were having a seizure or something, but we got you. EMTs are here." she said to him, checking to see if he seemed to register what she said. "Just try to relax." she added before turning and scooting toward Chet as the medical personnel came rushing in, leaving Devin's head resting on the folded hoodie in Sean's lap.

"Chet? Chet? You good, dude? You awake? You're gonna be okay, got it? Just chill." she said to him as she looked into his eyes, trying to get his attention and reassure her teammate in time for the EMTs to come over, so Lilly got out of their way, but stayed kneeling nearby as long as she could.

"They got into a fight. He punched him, might've broken his nose or even knocked him out. I pulled him off him and then he started having a seizure or something." Lilly tried to explain to the EMTs, though it came out far less calmly, pointing back and forth between Devin and Chet as she relayed what had happened.

Lilly looked on with concern, biting her lower lip nervously as she watched the EMTs set to work on the pair, silently hoping they would be okay.

As the EMT's barrelled in and the crowded restaurant filled with people in uniforms and an attendant ring of gawkers, Bannon got to his feet and moved back from Chet.  The lanky, odd slacker seemed torn between making himself scarce and finding something else to do to help before his eyes fell on Lilly.  He wanted to reassure her - Chet just had a broken nose and maybe a concussion - the lack of clear fluid made it plain there was no breach of the brain area - but he wasn't sure how that would be taken and besides, the EMT's were right there and one thing he didn't want to do was get 'dults noticing he knew about this sort of thing.  Word spread around Shelly fast, and he'd spent too long practicing the art of going unseen and flying under the radar to blow it all now.  People started expecting things of bright kids, and he wasn't here to fulfill their damned expectations.

Instead he moved to the counter, reaching over and grabbing a towel and some ice before moving back to where Lilly was kneeling.  Wrapping the ice in the towel, he handed it to the star athlete, motioning to the back of her head.

"For your bruise." he muttered, making eye contact for a moment before nodding and moving back to their booth, scooting back to the corner and watching the events unfold without much apparent interest.  Idly, he wiped the few drops of Chet's blood he'd gotten on his hand off with a damp napkin, then pocketed that before resuming his meal.

Sheriff Alistair paused at the door taking in the scene  saw Jase Bannon, recognizing him as one Cade's friends, grab a towl and ice from the counter and take it to Lilly Pryor the girl that started playing football and the daughter of the chif of police at Buwark AFB. Then he notice the rest of the kids and the two teens being treated by the EMTs.  He scowled Devin Jauntson. 

Turning to Deputy Carter he began issuing instructions "Start moving everyone out, take a statement. Those teens over there," he points at Jase and Lilly and the rest, "Keep them inside, I am going to want to talk to them. see if any of them got this on video. I'm going to go talk to Bunnee" The short blond deputy nodded and set out to carry out her bosses orders.

The Sheriff sauntered up to Bunnee who was watching the EMTs work on the kids with obvious concerns. "What can you tell me Bunnee?"

Spoiler

the deputy is coming over to make sure you kids don't run off she is a native from Shelly her name is Jill Carter and  some of you probably know her

Cade smiled  "You look nice today Coraline." he said as they got into the jeep and set out.  The ride wasn't all that long, and he answered her questions as best he could, though as he pulled up at the diner, The presence of two ambulances and his father's official car raised some alarms.   "Something going on.  I wonder what."
He quickly sent a text to Sean, once he'd parked.  

"Hey, Coraline and I are outside, what happened?" the message read, hoping Sean would answer.   He didn't expect any of the group to be involved, but he saw their vehicles, but they weren't outside, So he took that to indicate they were still inside.   There was a momentary flash of concern on his face that Coraline could see, maybe they'd seen something.

Never talk to the police alone. It never, ever helps you.

Coraline's Dad had pounded that lesson into her head early on, told her horror stories about witnesses who found themselves suspects because they wouldn't shut up for five minutes, and she hoped that the others knew the lesson already. If they were inside that is. The tall brunette remained in her seat in Cade's care, radiating worry. She had more than half a mind to blast out a blanket text to them to give them that basic reminder, but if it went south... She fretted and hoped that Sean's answer to the text would be a big 'no' and the sight of them all across the street or something. Big dramatic fake out. Cue background music.

"They better all be okay. They just... Well, they better be," she voiced aloud with a grunt.

It was chaos of a sort.

It may not have looked like much, but the muscle spasms he experienced wore him out and left him weak and fatigued.  His vision slowly came into focus and everything he'd been hearing and processing sudden;y 'turned on' and he was aware of his surroundings.  His recovery came as a small surprise to Sean.  Like a horror villain Devin's eyes suddenly shot open and focused with laser precision on the chude (chick/dude) cradling his head.

Like a doe Sean realized too late that were this an actual horror movie, he'd already be the first white girl to die.  Devin palmed the side of his face and pushed him away, rolling himself off and onto the floor away from Sean.  "The hell off me Cassidy.  The fuck?"

He still struggled to recapture some semblance of machismo, but his muscles were still shot from the seizures and his first attempt to stand only resulted in him slipping and falling to his knees.  A quick thinker that, he leaned to the separation in the booths and used it to balance himself until he was able to stand up on his own.  He kept flexing his hands like he was pumping them and his neck and shoulders still shook like he had the chills.  He just stood there for a moment... creepily looking out in nothing like no one was around him and he was in dead silence.

"Deej?  Deej?"  Marissa shouted for her brother as she swung open the door to Bunnee's.  No one had ever really seen Ma-rissa ever not look fully in control, but a panged look of worry was evident in her expression.  She saw him by the booth and rushed over and hugged held him tightly.  "Oh, god, Devin."  She pulled away and gave him a once over, noting he hand was bruised and covered in blood.  It didn't escape anyone's notice that while Chet was not but ten steps from her and clearly in her field of vision, he may as well had been invisible.  "What happened?  Mom got a call, Dad's on his way, I was closer... seriously, we need to get damage control started.  Which of these idiots started this?"

"I...," his wobbled about like he was still trying to figure out which way was up.  "...I did."  No one at Bunnee's could claim they knew Devin except Tawny, but she left.  Had they, however, they'd have know that while he was the the largest colostomy bag in the state of Montana, he was as honest as a person got.  "Ch-Chet called you a slut.  Fucked his shit up."  He pointed to Bannon. While offering Marissa a pride filled thumbs up and a smile that was almost comedic.

"Chet called me a slut, so you punched Jason?"  She shook her head looking confused.  She'd already pieced it together, but hadn't quite figured out what had happened to her brother and why he seemed out of it.  He looked okay.

"Yeah, sure," was all her brother could muster while his world was still repairing itself.  "We'll go with that."

"Devin, what's wrong?"  She asked, cupping his chin and trying to get him to focus on her, but his fatigue was a bit much.  The poor guy felt like he just got rammed by a Mack truck.

"He had a seizure," Lilly interjected, trying to help Marissa get up to speed on the events that transpired.  "He punched Chet and after I tackled him off he began seizing and-"

"Did I ask you?"  Marissa shot a glare at Lilly like she was trying to steal her Lucky Charms.  She shook her head in disbelief.  "No.  My brother has never had a seizure in his life."  She turned and got in Lilly's face.  "So why don't you tell me what your steroid chugging, bumpkin, hick-a-billy ass did to him?"  There was a tense moment where the possibility of another fight loomed in the air between Lilly and Marissa, well, more like Marissa taking a shot and Lilly folding her up and booting her out the door, but 'fight' had many meanings.

"Em Jay, shut up."  Devin quieted the area using his sisters initials, a thinkg only the two of them seemed to do.  He'd call her Em Jay and she'd call him Dee Jay, or 'Deej'.  Lilly certainly didn't seem very bothered by Marissa.  Devin's sister was a cheerleader and Lilly had been dealing with her diva attitude for three very long and painful years now.  "Dad's sending me to military school anyway."

It was first Marissa had heard of it and the anger drained from her face to be replaced by worry and concern.  "What?"

There it was.  The bomb all of Shelly had been waiting for for years now... Devin was leaving.  They would be free of his torment, his bullying, his general disregard for others well being.  He was going to get his wish and be rid of Shelly and never have to look back again.

"Sheriff..."  Devin staggered up as his balance was returning.  "You don't need statements.  Chet implied my sister was easy.  I punched him in the nose.  Then a couple more times.  In the nose.  It felt good, I enjoyed it and until the seizure I was probably erect the entire time and I'm not sorry." He paused and shrugged, offering a smart assed smile.  "For the punches or the erection.  Better arrest me.  Because if you don't, my next big thing is stealing Christmas... so don't say I didn't warn you."

The sheriff glared back at the door at Deputy Norrenson who had let Marissa in despite be told not to let anyone in, then back at The young man whom he had never expected to take responsibility for anything, rocking unsteadily. "Devin that is not how things work. What I want you to do right now is sit down and let James and Cathy here, " He indicated the Emts, " look you over and make sure your not in any immediate danger, then they are going to transport you to the hospital, where we send your parents as soon as we get a hold of them" The Shriff gestures the two Emts forward. "As for the rest of the stuff we'll worry about that later, right now your health and safety are what is important.

"Miss Jauntson you can ride with them to the hospital if the Emts say it's ok."

Sean scrambled to his feet, shooting Devin an irritated glare (once he was sure Devin was still recovering from his seizure rather than seeming intent on following through on the horror movie threat). Holding his hoodie in hands, staring out of the diner at the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles, he muttered, "Well, fuck you too, Devin."

"Miss...ter  Cassidy," Jill Carter said with just a small slip-up. She knew him, of him - his father had done renos for her and her family in the past, often with his children helping out. But she just couldn't quite get used to seeing a teenaged boy who looked like a girl, a well-developed - some would say over-developed - one at that. "I hope you aren't thinking about leaving. Sheriff Alistair is gonna want a word with all of you that we involved in the incident."

"I wasn't in--" Sean protested before cutting himself. "I wasn't planning on leaving, Deputy Carter. Promise. Just looking at the lights." He pointed over to the booth were Bannon and Lona were sitting. "I'll be right there at our booth."

Carter nodded sharply and Sean slunk back to the booth. Before sliding onto the bench, he considered his hoodie. The cat was out of the bag, as if were, and it was too hot to put it back on now that he had taken it off, so he tied the hoodie around his slim waist before sitting down on the same side as Bannon. Then he noticed the blue light blinking on his phone that he had left on the other side of the table and with some effort, almost knocking over one of the jugs of water, he reached over to get it.

He read Cade's text and quickly tapped out a reply. <We're fine. Devin punched out Chet. Then had a seizure. Your dad is here. Wants to talk to us.>

Sean had to stifle a giggle when he heard Devin was being sent off to Military School. He would be missed less than what Devin thought of Shelly.

Sean left the phone on the table, in case Cade texted back. "Cade and Coraline are outside," he mentioned to Jase, when he noticed the wetness of shed tears on Lona's flushed face. He poured a glass of water, melting ice cubes tinkling, then offered it to the second newest player in his D&D campaign. "Here, Lona. Are you okay? Stuff isn't as bad as it looked."

Sara was stopped from leaving at the door by Deputy Norrenson who actually sneered at her, "You can't leave, sheriff wants to talk to you kids."

"I'm not with them, I was just getting lunch I was at the counter.."

"Tell it to the sheriff, Hutchins, Go wait with the rest of them over there."

Sara was caught up short at the hostile familiarity the deputy was putting out, she had seen him around town of course but she didn't know him. "Do you know me?"

He chuckled and shook his head, "No. Just go wait over there. the sheriff will get to you in a little while."

Frustrated Sara turned away from the idiot deputy and the exit and looked over at the gathered kids from school. She hadn't even gotten to eat her lunch.

Sara walked up to where Sean Cassidy was sitting. "Hey Cassidy," she says as she sits on the edge of the booth bench baking the booth Sean is sitting at, " seems I have to talk to the sheriff, about this crap that I wasn't even a part of. Do you know what this is all about?"

Lona watched the chaos ensued and then abated as the center of attention -- because  of course fucking Devin Jauntsen couldn't have a seizure in the privacy of his own home -- recovered. Her own shakes subsided as well, and Lona pulled herself out of bad memories with effort.

The phone sat in her hand, her fingers holding it tight. It was expensive just like anything the Jauntsens owned. You could buy so many cigarettes if you pawned this.  No more scraping together change for guitar strings. It wouldn't be too hard; she knew some guys--

"Here, Lona. Are you okay? Stuff isn't as bad as it looked."

Sean watched her carefully,  his expression concerned. The glass of water he offered seemed inadequate when what she wanted was a smoke or joint. Wiping her face, she took the water, her mind spinning with possibilities. Devin's phone was a literal windfall, a chance to shore up her paltry cash and maybe be able to relax and enjoy the rest  of summer. 

The owner of her prize staggered and nearly fell over, aided by the EMTs. Dad had barely been able to walk either, after his seizure. He'd been so vulnerable and unable to defend himself. For a second, when she looked at Devin the Douchebag, all she saw was a shaken person, weak while trying to be strong, struggling to even walk unaided. 

If she took advantage of him, she'd be worse than him, worse than soulless Clara or bitchy Mari. "Excuse me," she muttered to Sean. "Let me out."

Confused, he did, even as Sara Hutchison came over to the table. Lona slipped to Devin's side, fighting the urge to throw the phone at him and run away. "Devin, I," she said, her voice trembling so hard her words hitched in her throat. She'd tried to avoid him all her high school life, so what the fuck was she doing now? 

He looked at her, scowling, and she almost fled. She could get Bannon to give him the phone. She'd never tested her charms on the other player, but she knew if she really tried, she could do it. 

Then she'd be just like her mom, relying on others to do the hard work of life. 

"Here." She held out the phone. "It hit my foot."

Great, you sound like a moron. Fucking awesome job, Avalon.

Currently Devin was weak, he knew and everyone around him knew it.  When the Alpha of the pack fell ill, it wasn't long before other predators began to see him as prey and right now Devin was currently defending his crown from all those present he'd tortured over the years.  Whether real or imagined, his reputation as the apex predator in the hierarchy of high school popularity was in serious jeopardy.

So why didn't he care?

He sat there, glowing and scowling, hating the world and life he called his own as his sister, Marissa, turned on her viper's charm and praised the EMTs for their prompt and dutiful response.  They had to hand it to her, around the other teens she was mean and cruel, but she never let her insults or venom be heard by the adults around them and the moment one showed up a switch was flipped and there she was all sunshine and smiles and the picture perfect teen for all of America to aspire to be like.  Like Devin, everyone hated her for their own reasons, and it was all justified.  The Jauntsen twins were spun from pure evil and stitched together from pure misery.

When Lona approached it was just as she imagined it would it go.  He shot her a look like her was going to leap for her throat and rip in out with his teeth in some display of power to prove to Shelly that he wasn't dethroned yet.

"Devin, I," she said, her voice trembling so hard her words hitched in her throat. "Here." She held out the phone. "It hit my foot."

For someone as frail and shy as Lona to approach Devin was folly.  His was the fields of agony and misery and upon them he would tread upon the deficiencies and deformities that plagued the lack of self-confidence of the teenage condition.  On his battle field, nothing was off limits from a victim's families income, to the name brands they wore (or didn't wear), to their scholastic accomplishments, to their weight or hygiene all they way up to their appearance as a whole or physical and mental handicaps.  If being a teenager was a war, Devin broke every rule and convention in order to decimate his opposition.  Lona certainly, with all her history, shyness, and shortcomings (real or imagined) was easy pickings for a monster like Devin.

The younger crowed, especially the Sean Contingent, silently paused as if watchng Atreyu approach the Sphinx's Gate and wondering if Devin would indeed, destroy her with eye lasers if she proved lacking in his sight.  Lilly stood at the ready, prepared to pull her out if need be, or at least what was left of her..

His expression changed though.  It was subtle, but she caught it.  He didn't glower or stare at her with eyes meant to intimidate or force her away from him.  He was listening.  He was looking at her like a person who was, if only for a moment, interested in what she had to say.  "Thanks," he said softly, offering her a side smile that was faint but there.  For a moment it was as if a real human being dwelt behind those eyes, or perhaps a king who'd simply lost the will to keep fighting.

For a moment the whole scene was in full DisneyHD as two kids from opposite walks of life shared a moment until Marisifent noticed Lona and quickly intercepted.  Stood interposed herself between Devin and Lona and looked down at the bashful young woman (stylish wedged heels allowed her took down on everybody) she cocked her head in the typical Mean Girl stance of 'what the hell'.  "Okay, fine.  You gave it back.  Now get away."  The swiftness of the evil wind caught Lona off guard and the shy young woman didn't really know how to react.  She just stood, paralyzed for a moment.

"Mari, stop," Devin offered quietly from behind her.  "She was just returning it."

"Sure she is, Dev, right after she just stole if from you so she could go pawn it for meth," Marissa's words, although just words, had a strange magical power to spoken with just the right level or truth and spite with a dash of vitriol that could make the listener almost believe her, no matter what the truth of the situation really was.  Lone knew that if she stayed too long that soon she would believe that she did steal Devin's phone, that she was really was a meth head, and it was her fault there would never be a Teen Titans Season Six!

Lona was a decent enough girl.  Like every other teen in Shelly she had her own problems and her own way of coping, but she wasn't hurting anyone and that's what was important.  Lona tried to put up some sort of mental wall to protect herself from fumes of the vile Marisma that was washing over her, but she just couldn't break away, not right away.  Marissa had her, locked if only for a moment.  Marissa never took her eyes off Lona, she gazed into them peering past all sense of warmth and kindness in Lona's soul so she could feast on the misery and darkness (it kept her young, Marissa was nearly three hundred years old... or so the rumors said).

"What?"  Marissa leered at her, her vile tone and bitter words seeping into her skin like a acid burning away her armor of confidence.  "Why are you still here little orphan?  Don't you have to writhe through the Wright's scraps for your next meal?  Better hurry along meth head... you're wasting daylight."

And she did all just low enough that only her and the teens of Shelly could hear it.  She a master.  She had an evil possessed by few and was hopped to have been lost in the ancient times of the Sons of Aryas... she was vile and full of hate.  Many believed not even a kiss from Kevin Sorbo could destroy her evil fire that burned in her breast because as the EMTs continued to their work she spun right back around and with a smile like the rising sun across the plains of America.  Her sweet, chipper words were spoken with a praising tone that just screamed 'I love freedom and apple pie!'.  "You two are doing such a great job, thank you so much for all you do.  We certainly appreciate all this, despite my brother being a magnet for trouble..."

She patted her brother on the shoulder.  "I going to go head off Dad.  I'll fill him in and keep him out of your hair for as long as I can, okay?  Just," she shook her head like she really didn't have an answer.  "I don't know, try not piss him off when you see him.  Maybe he didn't mean it."  Her voice was no different that how Lilly would talk to others when she spoke to her brother.  It was as if she was a different person around him... almost human.

Spoiler

Marissa is an NPC so I don't want her owning the scene, but I did want to insert a bit of her special brand of evil.  Besides, Lona can't be shy, bashful and fearful if she doesn't have anything to be afraid of.  Monsters like Mari prey on timid creatures like Lona.  It keeps them young.

Marissa will be leaving by my next post.  I just didn't want to her to jab and run without Lona having a chance to get in some kind of reaction.

Sean watched Lona go, shaking his head as she willingly walked over to Devin when she had been in clear at their booth. Then he leaned around the edge of the booth to face Sara sitting behind him, his odd eyes catching her thick arms before finding her face. They'd had shared plenty of classes over the years, being natives and life-long residents of Shelly, but hadn't really interacted much beyond occasionally in those classes. They just didn't have much - or anything - in common, really, beyond catty rumours the last couple of years about the boy who looked like a girl and the girl who was more than boyish.

"Sorry you got caught up by the Sheriff's decree by proximity, Sara," Sean offered with a shrug and a glance at the very tall sheriff, his sweet voice low. "Chet said something to Devin - something 'bout his sister from what he said to the Sheriff - Devin went Hulk Smash on him and busted his nose, then had an epileptic fit or something. Lilly tried to stop the fight, then she and Jase, Charlie and Lona tried to stop Chet from drowning in his own blood and Devin from choking on his tongue."

Sean didn't mention his own minor contribution as he muttered, "though pretty much everyone in school has wished he would do just that at least once." He raised his voice back to a more clear and normal level. "And that brings us to now and the Mari show. Not entirely sure why the Sheriff wants us to stay, except maybe hearing our version of events, if he has to write a report about this."

"I have his phone? Still?" Lona belatedly defended herself but she was talking to Mari's back now, utterly ignored by her divaness. She looked down at the phone she was still extending to no one.

High school logic said she should set the phone down on the nearest flat surface and flee, but Devin had been slotted into the "needs help" category in her head. Years of being one of her father's caregivers had left her with an inability to ignore someone in need, no matter what her exterior appearance suggested. Or past history between the two. 

Plus, Marissa had just pissed her off. 

Stepping around the Bitch of Shelly, Lona gently took Devin by the wrist and placed the phone in his hand. She waited until his fingers closed around the device before she let go. "You're welcome," she told him sincerely. "I hope you feel better soon."

Turning, she slipped back past Marissa the Mantis to rejoin her friends. This moment had changed nothing between her and Devin, but she'd probably just earned the full ire of Marissa.  On some level, she knew that, but a gentle soul like Lona wasn't aware of the full agony the other teen could unleash. 

Dave, if Mari wants a last shot, take it. Otherwise, the next Sean group post can just have a line about her rejoining them.

The procession of events quickly flew past for Charlie. Lona had gotten psyched out for some reason, so he had to help snap her out of it. The Sheriff and the EMTs came, putting Devin and Chet into better hands (but who would send the EMTs better people to put in their hands?), while she whom Bannon had given the catchy dubbing of Mari the Mantis popped into the scene. 

And the Sheriff insisted they stayed, even as Devin admitted to what had happened and then revealed the clear, blessed impending departure that would await him. Oh, frabjous day! Calloo callay! Well, not quite, since the metaphorical Jabberwock of Shelly High was not entirely slain until Marissa went to military school as well. Oh, that would be precious, her having to do muddy crawls or whatever trials they did at boot camp.

Then Lona gave back Devin his phone and... no. Charlie steadfastly  refused to believe his eyes, ears and the universe. Devin thanking her and defending her from Mari? No. Charlie was an actor, but he believed a near-death experience making Devin become a better person was too contrived. He put his mind aside, putting a comforting hand on Lona's arm. "Forget what that ball of hate and misery says. I'm sure Daddy Dearest will be sending her packing soon enough too."

Cade frowned.  "Goddamit."   Devin was alright, and Chet would be, hell he might have learned a lesson.   He could probably walk over and get in, but he didn't like using the fact he was the Sheriff's son to do things.   So he just sat there in his Jeep with Coraline and text Sean.  "They're probably just going to ask you all to explain what you saw, and then let you go.  I can go talk to Dad if you guys want, but I don't think there's going to be any getting out of his questioning.  Best to just be honest.   If we need to move the meeting to somewhere else, We can go to my parent's home, they're both working late, so we can have some peace there if it's needed."

He looked to Coraline  "Devin punched out Chet and broke his nose, then had a seizure.  That's why everything's crazy.  The Sheriff wants to speak to everyone, and will then let them go."

Mari's words had little impact on Lilly by this point. They had interacted plenty with Lilly being on several sports teams for the school at Mari being a cheerleader. The vitriol usually spewed forth from Mari when she was feeling superior (which was always) or especially when upset, was almost comical in it's intensity, so for the most part Lilly ignored it. It seemed Mari had come to realize that her words had little effect on Lilly, so the two essentially stopped speaking to each other. Neither had anything to gain from it. Mari was never going to chill and she was not going to get a rise out of Lilly.

That did not stop Mari from trying again though, even when Lilly has just been trying to help and actually tended to her brother until the EMTs arrived. That was lost on Mari though. She was protective of her brother and lashing out at anybody her venomous tongue could hope to cut; Lilly, Lona and anyody else in range.

Devin telling Mari to shut up and stop was a bit of a surprise though, bringing a small smile to Lilly's lips at Mari getting checked by her brother. Lona was just trying to be nice, despite how Devin had treated pretty much everybody pretty much the entire time he had been in Shelly, so if Mari's malicious mantis mandibles had opened any further and went for Lona, Lilly would have been there to step in and protect her friend. This situation had seemed to have had an affect on her, and Lilly was not going to let Mari make it any worse. Thankfully, she didn't have to.

Lilly rose to her feet, still holding the towel full of ice to the back of her head, and walked over to the booth with the rest of her friends, and Sara. She did not sit though, instead electing to stand, giving Sara a casual 'whassup' nod of acknowledgement. She did look to Jase though, catching his attention for a moment.

"Hey. Thanks man." she said, lightly lifting the towel full of ice behind her head as she gave him a nod.

Jase looked at her with a sideways glance and just gave a small, easily missed nod, which for anybody who knew him, was quite a response. Lilly smiled faintly at his nod and then shifted her gaze to look around, taking in all of the activity in the diner as best she could. She sighed wistfully, a small frown replacing the smile on her face. The day had started off so great, then BLAM!, from out of nowhere THIS happens. Devin had a knack for doing that, she supposed, as if he fed on the ruined days of others.

Chet's nose was likely broken, which meant he would be missing weeks of practice, but would probably be ready to play by the time the season started. He was a valuable part of the defense after all, and with luck, what happened might have taught him a lesson about watching his mouth, but in the end Lilly would settle for no real long-term damage to him.

Devin though, Lilly really had no idea about. Mari said he had never had a seizure, so he probably wasn't epileptic. But a seizure like that could mean any number of things. Either way, that would be for the Jauntsens to deal with. Who knows, maybe Devin learned a lesson too.

Then she heard what Charlie said and turned to look at him with a bit of a glare.

"What?" Charlie asked defensively, catching the look.

"Dude. It's... I know he's a giant douche and she's a raging bitch, but, I dunno... A seizure is pretty serious. It's like..." she said pausing for a moment.

"I dunno." she finally relented, shifting the towel full of ice on the back of her head. 

"This just sucks. It was such a good day..." she sighed.

"Still is a good day."
Bannon's voice was low, but carried easily to those teens at the table despite his not looking up from his meal and speaking around a mouthful of burger.  Chewing once more and swallowing, he continued,  "Jauntsen is alive and uninjured thanks in no small part to the actions of Lilly and Sean."  Now he looked up at Sean and Lilly, his eyes bright as he met their gazes without looking away.  "Seizures can have many causes - stress and anxiety being one of them, which the news of being sent to Junior Boot Camp could definitely bring on.  Other seemingly innocent factors could be dietary or even the heat."  Hazel irises regarded Charlie with the same uncharacteristically direct stare that Lilly and Sean had gotten.  "Chet is also alive with only a sore face and concussion to mark the occasion.  Lona - " and now that gaze fell on Avalon "- returned property to it's owner despite the overwhelming bitch-blocking of the Mantis - which would have given me cause to rethink any good Samaritan tendencies or possibly use it as a suppository on the USI suffering thot."  His lips twitched in a faint smile at her.  "Bravo."

In the sudden silence brought on by what seemed like more words than anyone (save Sean) had heard from Bannon at once, he idly chewed on some fries as his words sank in then leaned forwards, his voice and gaze intense.

"We did well.  WE were winners.  Do not let the words and actions of mental pygmies take that from you.  Remember it."  And with that he sat back against the booth seat once more, his gaze focusing on the far wall as he appeared to lose all interest and sipped at the now-warm remnants of his float,  leaving those at the table with the sensation of having been close to a blast furnace when the door opens.

Sara leaned around the booth and looked past Sean at Bannon, she gave him a nod. "Wow man, that is the most I think I have ever heard you say at one time, and good words, respect."

"Marissa." The word was low, pitched to carry to the Mantis, and remeniscent of the cold center of Hell. Clara wasn't free from Marissa's cruel side, but she had several advantages many others in Smelly didn't - namely her own claim to money and an self-esteem unreliant on the opinions of the teens around her (at least in her own mind). It made her a bitch too, but it meant that Clara was less willing to roll over for the viper cheerleader. 

"Step a toe over that line with Lona again," she gave Marissa a plastic smile, "and I'll chop the leg off. M'kay?" Threats weren't her style nor her expertise, but Devin and Marissa could both easily recognise the same level of sibling protectionism in it - even if Lona and Clara weren't technically siblings and couldn't stand each other right now. "Devin, you could always try to emancipate yourself, but if you're epileptic, the school might not take you anyways. The military won't." 

She shrugged, not promising it was a way out but throwing it out since Devin had actually tried to reign in his twin for once.

Across from the teens where the fight (if you could call it that) took place the Emts finished putting both boys on stretchers and wheeled them out to the waiting ambulances Marissa glared at Clara, with a 'we will finish this later' look before she followed Devin out to the ambulance.

As the casualties exited the diner, the sheriff finished his talk with Bunnee and Max and walked over to where the kids were gathered waiting, a sheet of paper held casually in his hands. "Alright kids now I'm gonna want to hear what you all know about this. But first, Cassandra, Clara, you two called this in to 911, did either of you get the fight on camera, or for that matter did any of the rest of you?"

Ambulances gone. People apparently allowed in and out again. It would have taken a lot more patience than Coraline had to keep from jumping out of the car and hustling over to Bunnee's, folder of abruptly forgotten dnd character notes left behind. The Sheriff seemed like a good guy, but two kids had just been driven off in ambulances. They'd want to say they'd done something to prevent a repeat, and if that was at her friends' expense... Well. She'd come up with a plan later.

She heard Cade say something and hop out as well, but paid it almost no mind.

The tall brunette entered the diner with the little jingle-jingle of restaurant door openings everywhere, just far enough in to get line of sight on the detained cluster of teens and pause, frowning. Okay. Later was suddenly now. Here was where the plan fell apart. Okay, non-plan really. Shit. Being moral support if anyone got handcuffed and marched off was not an idea that made her happy. So..? Ugh. Coraline settled for offering a smile and a wave, the go to place holder tactic, even as the jingle-jingle sounded again with Cade's entrance in her wake.  

Cade came in, somewhat surprised by Coraline's haste to get there, but he sighed.   The Sheriff didn't turn instead seeing the vague reflection of his son and another of his friends coming over.   He sighed, and turned his head to the side.  "Cade, Coraline, can you two just give me a while longer with your friends?  Let me do my job and this will be over faster for everyone."   Cade seemed ready to say something, but then nodded.  "Alright."  he placed a hand on Cora's shoulder.  "Let's just take a seat, the Sheriff won't be long, then we can get back to normal."

He guided her to a nearby booth, ready to rejoin them once his dad was gone.   The Scions of Law enforcement duo quietly looked at the menu to pass the time, and Cade thought how something like this wasn't new, but he'd never seen people actually fight Inside Bunnee's.   "I bet Bunnee's pissed." he muttered softly.

Cassandra cleared her throat uncomfortably. As ludicrous as it seemed now, with hindsight, she hadn't even thought about the footage she'd taken being used as evidence. She'd just wanted to capture the moment for an article. Hell, she wasn't even sure there'd BE an article, in which case she'd just delete it. It was just kind of her first instinct when seeing something remarkable...document it. She hadn't really thought about it.

But now she had to choose between her phone being evidence...and lying to the sheriff. And everyone had seen her recording it, so...

With a sigh, Cassandra offered up her phone. "I didn't get all of it," she admitted. "It happened really fast. And I had to stop to call emergency, so...there's probably only like a few seconds of the actual fight on it." She thumbed the keypad to unlock it.

"You're not going to have to keep it, are you?"

10 hours ago, Sara Hutchins said:

"Your eyes look different, I thought they were blue. Are those contacts?"

"My eyes?" Sean said, dark red brows crinkling in puzzlement. His eyes were hardly his most noticeable genetic anomaly, nor the one people were usually interested in. He hardly even thought of their oddity anymore. "Oh! Right, you see..."

Sean trailed off, slowly turning his head away from Sara towards Bannon, raising his brows in mild shock. He might have been one of the few to have ever heard Jase string so many words together in one go, but usually it was about some unique chemical formula or when they were talking about the newest gadget. Even his Alchemist in the D&D campaign was generally terse. This... this was almost empathetic, encouraging even. Sean shot him a quick grin.

4 hours ago, Bannon said:

Sara leaned around the booth and looked past Sean at Bannon, she gave him a nod. "Wow man, that is the most I think I have ever heard you say at one time, and good words, respect."

"Seconded," Sean agreed, shooting Bannon a quick grin before turning back to Sara and continuing where he had left off as Clara went bitch-to-bitch with the Mantis. "Nah, no contacts. My eyes have been like this pretty much for ever, it's just the colours have differentiated more as I've grown older. Another bit of my messed up DNA. It's called Central Heterochromia Iridium, it's genetic, but I see fine, it just messes with melanin, the colour, of the iris." He nodded back at her. "Seems like working in a garage is better exercise than working on renos and landscaping."

Just then, the Sheriff came over to speak with them and Sean sat up straight in the booth. He wasn't tall, for a girl, let alone a guy, and the Sheriff always made him very aware of his lack of height. He noticed Cade and Coraline sitting at the booth by the door, he gave them a small wave.

Sheriff Alistair watched as his son and the wardens daughter took a seat in a booth nearby, he was really going to have to have a talk with Cade soon.

12 minutes ago, Cassandra Allen said:

With a sigh, Cassandra offered up her phone. "I didn't get all of it," she admitted. "It happened really fast. And I had to stop to call emergency, so...there's probably only like a few seconds of the actual fight on it." She thumbed the keypad to unlock it.

"You're not going to have to keep it, are you?"

He turned back and looked at Cassandra, her offer actually catching him off guard. He took the phone from her and looked at the screen, saw it was already qued up and hit playback. he watched the few seconds of the fight and the Pryor girl pulling Devin off the other boy and then falling. He rewound it back to the beginning and played it again. "No I don't need to keep it, Miss Allen, but if your gonna use video in your reporting, I suggest you get a cameraman." He hands the phone back to Cassandra.

"Alright, I assume that all of you are going to tell me pretty much what that showed so we will forgo that. If we need statements I'll have your parents bring you into the station tomorrow." He twists and raises his hand and  motions Cade and Cora over tot he rest of the group.

Once those two have found a seat with the group. "No what I really wanted to talk you guys about is this." He holds up the sheet of paper which is the flyer that Chet had given to Clara or a copy of it. "I know that I can't stop this party or others like it from happening, but when I know about them, and I will know about them just like this one. I will break them up and anyone underage caught at one of these things will be in a lot of trouble. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal clear, sheriff."  Bannon spoke once more, his eyes studying the lawman intently with a glimmer of something in the depths before he once more let his gaze drift to the far wall as he spoke.

"Rather than thank certain people here for their civic-mindedness and help in preventing a bad situation from getting worse, what you really want to do is warn us away from bad beer, loud music and other such teenage frivolity."  He realised he was being incautious - he should just shut up, grunt vague acknowledgement, and let Johnny Law fuck off to write up a report on two brawling idiots.  But in the face of the sheer lack of acknowledgement that his friends (and they were his friends, he silently recognised) had acted well in a crisis, the authority figure instead choosing to use this gathering to try and exert his dubious (at least in Bannon's mind)  authority was suddenly profoundly irritating.

In the cold deliberate machinery that was the back of Jason's brain, something was starting to tick. 

"I think we all understand perfectly.  Now if that's all-"  He stood up on the seat, then stepped onto the table, walking two strides across it and dropping onto the floor outside the booth.  "I'm going to get some fresh air."

"Hey!"

The shout all the way from across the room cut the sheriff off and froze everyone in place as Bunnee strode up hands on hips.

"Did I just see you walking on my table Bannon? Walking.  With your feet. On my table?"

Jase stopped his march to the door, swiveling on his heel and staring at Bunnee for a long moment.  His head tilted to one side as he appeared to consider something.  Then he turned back to the table, leaned over the spot where he had planted his feet, and made a show of dusting the surface with a napkin before turning back to Bunnee.

"No disrespect meant."  He said with a shrug, in as close to an apologetic tone as anyone felt Bannon could get.  His pale hazel eyes still glittered with irritation, but it wasn't directed at the joint's proprietor.  "Heat of the moment.  Nice burger today."

And with that he shoved his hands into his pockets and headed outside.

Lilly watched with concern as Jase talked back to the Sheriff. She knew he had a general dislike for 'authority', but it was his walking across the table to exit the booth that truly stunned her, causing her to slowly drop the makeshift ice pack from the back of her head, which then snapped around to look at the source of the outburst.

It was Bunnee... and he was ticked.

Jade did apologize, or the closest he could manage, but the wiping of a table with a napkin with the soles of boots walked across was clearly not enough, and probably insulting to Bunnee.

"Hey Bunnee. It's been a crazy morning and I don't think any of us are thinking straight. He honestly didn't mean anything by it." she said to him trying to smooth things over and minimize the impact of what Jase did with the sweetest smile she could muster.

Lilly then sighed, set the towel full of ice down on the table, and walked after Jase, waiting until they were outside at least a little distance from the door before she spoke.

"Dude? What was that? I know the Sheriff is a bit overbearing, (and maybe a bit ungrateful), but saying stuff like that sure isn't going to do any good other than get his attention on you as a 'troublemaker' or whatever."

The sheriff lets Bannon go then he and Bunnee exchange looks before Bunnee heads back into he kitchen. The sheriff faces the rest of the teens. "Alright all of you get out of here, go on."  He is obviously angry.

"Cade."

Cade stops as the rest of his friends leave the diner. Cora is the last and she looks back at Cade then goes outside. The sheriff puts a hand on his sons shoulder. "Son that is the second time today that I have been disrespected by one of your friends."

"Dad, Devin isn't..." Cade's voice trails off under his dads angry stare.

"I don't expect there to be a third, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. I expect you to make that abundantly clear to your friends. Some of them seem to be getting a little too big for their breeches. Go on get out of here I have work to do."

Cora and Cade’s arrival had Lona sinking into her seat in subtle embarrassment. She rubbed her chin on her shoulder, using it as cover to see if her deodorant was holding up to the heat and stress of the day. She didn’t feel or smell particularly bad, but definitely not fresh and clean, or anything like a “clear mountain stream”. Sighing but trapped in the booth, she could only watch Bannon add to the drama, then they were all shooed out of the building.

Outside, Lona leaned against the outer wall of the building and tried to collect her thoughts, her guitar case resting against her legs. Did I just lay down the white glove to Marissa Jauntsen? Just to give Devin Jauntsen his phone back? A phone his parents could replace without blinking or even seeing a dip in their monthly lifestyle. My life expectancy is zil. I am the dumbest person I know. Except maybe Bannon, white-gloving the Sheriff and Bunnee on the same day.

She wondered what Allister had wanted from Cade. No doubt he’d tell them when he was released to join them. Her eyes fell on Lilly and Bannon and she pushed off the wall to stand with them. “I still didn’t get my burger,” Lona said with a sigh, looking at Bannon with only a hint of recrimination in her gaze for getting the lot of them group-ejected from Bunnee’s by the sheriff. “Or my shake.” Shaking her head, she sighed, “I need something to eat. Where should we go now to finish our talk?”

40 minutes ago, Lilly Pryor said:

"Dude? What was that? I know the Sheriff is a bit overbearing, (and maybe a bit ungrateful), but saying stuff like that sure isn't going to do any good other than get his attention on you as a 'troublemaker' or whatever."

Bannon grunted, taking a rolled up (probable) cigarette from an unmarked pack in his pocket as he leaned against the wall in the shade.  He was out of sight from the street and the parked Sheriff's cruiser was on the other side of Bunnee's, so unless Allister was looking for cause-

Scratch that.  Of course the prick will do a quick once-over to see if he can catch me up to something.

As Lona came over, stating she still hadn't eaten or drunk anything, Jase gave her an apologetic shrug as he tucked the roll-up away and pushed the pack back into his pocket.  "We'll figure out a place when the rest get out here, I guess.  Sorry for getting you all kicked out - wasn't my idea."

"So what was the idea?"  Lilly persisted.  "You know the sheriff is-"

"What?"  Bannon retorted coldly.  "What is he going to do?  Hassle me because I pointed out what a prick he was being?  Bust my balls every five minutes because I made him look bad?  Because I didn't - all I did was call his attention to how bad he made himself look."  Jase's eyes had that weird intensity again, a glitter that betrayed some deep well of emotion somewhere behind the cool facade as he looked at Lilly.  "I was right in what I said.  It was the truth. And notice he didn't even say 'Hey, he's right.  Sorry guys, well done for not letting that douchenozzle bash his own brains out on the floor'. So fuck him."  Bannon started to pace restlessly, eyeing both Lilly and Lona.

"I didn't give two shits about some dumbass kegger.  But now- now I want to go to a party, even if that means having to help organise a new one."  He snorted as a thought hit him lips twisting in a sneer.  "Fucking flyers to advertise a high school party?  Seriously?  What are these people, remedial?  Is there some initiation trepanning or lobotomy you've not undergone?"  He demanded, glaring at Lilly.  "How do you even get them to run or throw the fuckin' ball the right way?  Pheromone markers..?"

And so on.  Once more the blast furnace door was open, and whilst this time it was scathing critiques of the football team and Sheriff Allister, it was still eerie to see an emotional Bannon.

6 hours ago, Bannon said:

"I didn't give two shits about some dumbass kegger.  But now- now I want to go to a party, even if that means having to help organise a new one."  He snorted as a thought hit him lips twisting in a sneer.  "Fucking flyers to advertise a high school party?  Seriously?  What are these people, remedial?  Is there some initiation trepanning or lobotomy you've not undergone?"  He demanded, glaring at Lilly.  "How do you even get them to run or throw the fuckin' ball the right way?  Pheromone markers..?"

And so on.  Once more the blast furnace door was open, and whilst this time it was scathing critiques of the football team and Sheriff Allister, it was still eerie to see an emotional Bannon.

"Repetition and conditioning." Lilly flatly answered without skipping a beat, which caused Jase to stop in place and tilt his head to glance at her, cracking a smile.

Her unexpected wit and humor had successfully disarmed him, shutting the blast furnace door again for now. It was a bit more than Jase had expected from the her as he stopped his pacing, leaned against the wall once more and regarded the grinning Lilly for a moment.

"For the record, I do all the throwing. Everybody else essentially plays fetch." she jokingly added with her mildly goof smile.

"And yeah, you were right and the Sheriff was being... well... kind of a jerk... But telling him off like that. I mean. Nothing good is gonna come from it. He's not gonna suddenly open his eyes and be all, 'You know you're right. My bad kids. No go run and play.' or whatever." she said, doing a exaggerated voice for the sheriff.

"So checking him like that is just gonna piss him off and get him looking for something to hassle you on to show who's boss. I know it sucks, but.. I dunno what I am even trying to say. What ever." Lilly said with a sigh and shrug.

"Seriously though, thinking for, I dunno, sticking up for us or whatever." Lilly offered to Jase.

The gaming group were her friends, and though some were more so then others for the moment, she still did not want to see anybody hassled or in trouble. Jase has come out of shell a good bit more today and was rather nice to herself and Lona and she did not want to see that progress thwarted by an overbearing sheriff. Lilly didn't even want Devin and Chet, despite all that had done over the years, to come to any real harm, though some comeuppances would be good.

"There's always the Subway across from Albertson's. They have salads and wraps and stuff too." she suggested to Lona, trying to be helpful where she at least could.

Then her eyes widened and bit and she smiled.

"And there's The Griddle. Pancakes, waffles, and french toast make everything better." she joked, her smile faintly returning. "Between Cade and me, we should be able to get everybody wherever we want to go, though some might have to ride in the bed of my truck." 

Sean slumped down and stretched a leg under the table to hook his computer bag on the other side of the booth with a foot. He reeled it in, slung it cross-wise over his slim shoulders, then slipped out of the booth, his head bowed as he mumbled to the Sheriff that 'yes, he was being clear,' and an apology to Bunnee. At the last moment, he reached back and snagged his basket of fries and followed the others out of the Diner, giving Cade a look of commiseration in passing.

It wasn't like he'd ever go to a party with the likes of Chet and Devin and their ilk. He got enough harassment at school, hell, and out of it too for that matter. He didn't need to go seek out more opportunities around people who were drunk and high as well.

"Hey, at least we weren't held up too long, right, Sara?" Sean mentioned up to the much bigger teen as they exited Bunnee's.

7 hours ago, Avalon Wilson said:

“I still didn’t get my burger,” Lona said with a sigh, looking at Bannon with only a hint of recrimination in her gaze for getting the lot of them group-ejected from Bunnee’s by the sheriff. “Or my shake.” Shaking her head, she sighed, “I need something to eat. Where should we go now to finish our talk?”

"I didn't get mine either," Sean groused in agreement as he joined the others around the side of the Diner, Jase and Lilly continuing their back-and-forth.

Sean wondered if something was bugging Jase, like how being banished to Military School might have set off the Devil Devin. Bannon was being extra Bannon-y at the moment. But Sean wouldn't bring it up. That wasn't how guys did it. If Bannon wanted to talk about it, he would. If he didn't, he wouldn't.

Sean held up the half-finished basket of fries, offering Lona some, mouth twisting wryly when Lilly made her suggestions about where to relocate. "I was going to say we could go slum it at Pizza Hut or the Subway, but the Griddle sounds much better, if we can get a table for us all." Sean nodded further down the side of the Diner at a scratched-up green hybrid bike locked up at the twisted metal of the bike-rack. "Thanks for the ride, but I got my bike. I don't want to have to come back for it."

"Food's on me, wherever we're going," Coraline offered from one side, trying to make the day suck less, "First timers bring snacks or something?"

She didn't quite know what to think about all this. The Jauntsen twins were... not the nicest people in school, burned her more than once when she'd stood up for some of their victims, but still. Chett was just a guy, a little crude but someone she'd even give a chance if he had the courage to dare her Dad's Rules. You never knew unless you tried sometimes.  Other than stupid parties. She'd be on lockdown for at least a month if her parents found out she went to something like that. And Coraline wasn't good enough a liar to hide something like that from them. Not worth it.

The tall brunette kept one eye on Bunnee's, rubbing the back of her neck and hoping Cade wasn't catching too much hell.

Cade didn't scowl at his father's reprimand, though his neutral face let his dad know he wasn't happy, and that he didn't appreciate the dressing down of his friends.  If he had, it would have only made things worse, and he just wanted to get out of there at this point. He'd seen his father angry before, and this was way, way beyond that.  Devin and Bannon had gotten to him, and it was really likely that their problems were only just beginning now.   The Sheriff was actively watching now, waiting for either to take a step out of line, then he'd come down on them like a ton of bricks.    Devin was an ass, everyone knew that, and nothing was going to change that.  Threatening his group over the party, and then Bannon's outburst, God, did the guy really want his dad's attention that damn much?   Cade sighed, being among the last to join the others, hearing the plan to shift over to The Griddle, and Coraline's offer...  "Allow me to help with that too, my way of apologizing for what just happened."

In truth he was damn embarrassed by what his Dad had done.   "I can help get us over there, if y'all want.  Still got the whole back seat open."  

Cassandra, belatedly realizing that the eviction included her as well, ambled out with the remains of her lunch awkwardly held in her hands. On seeing the Teen Gang assembled outside she nodded in greeting and quipped, "Bunnee's Diner. Come for the food...get thrown out for the drama."

Then she took a big bite of her burger and leaned against the wall. From here she wasn't sure what to do or where to go. The whole thing where she'd wanted to talk to Clara about the fair seemed way in the distance now. After all this...weird stuff that had gone on, who knew if Clara was still up for it?

Marias Medical Complex

Urgent Care room 107

Devin had been at the hospital for over an hour, Mari was there, he had heard her shouting more than once, but they wouldn't let her in the room. All that they had done so far was bandage his hands and take his blood pressure and temperature. They had brought several machines in that looked like they belonged on a Star Trek TV show but hadn't hooked any of them up to him.

Yet.

Other than that they popped in every ten minutes or so, a fleshy nurse who had tits bigger than Sean Cassidy's and a thicker mustache, and another nurse, a guy,who looked like that Bannon kid except that he was fat and short. A hospital full of fat people. Great

The door opened and man in a lab coat walked in, sat and pepper hair cut short almost like a military hair cut. He was holding tablet not the usual binder with charts. He looked up from the screen and quirked a smile at Devin.

“Hi Devin, I'm Dr Cook, I'm the head of the Diagnostic team here at Marias. I just wanted to let you know that your Mother is on the way and should be here shortly. They are still trying to get word to your father but ..ah... apparently he is out in the hills chasing rabbits or something.”

Spoiler

Dr Cook dr cook2.jpg

• Nina locked this topic

Archived