Star Trek

Nina

Star Trek  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any interest in me running a game of Star Trek?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If I were to run a Star Trek Game what Era would be Preferred

• Enterprise Era (Birth of the Federation, Romulan war...)
    • Discovery -TOS Era
    • TNG ERA
    • Deep Space Nine - Voyager Era (Dominion War and Beyond)

as far as timeframe goes, much of the DS9 series coincided with TNG. I think for the game purpose, 'DS9' era refers to the period late in the series when it extended past the end of TNG, into the Voyager series and so on. The 'late game' Star Trek occupied by the new cast Star Trek movies and so on.

Which is all good by me. :)

yes technically it is all the same era but there is a shift for my thought the TNG era would be like Max says the first half of the TNG series the first 4-5 seasons basically starting before the borg are discovered and moving forward.

this is enough to work with

I will be using the Star Trek Adventures Game by modiphious... it is a 2d20 game. but much more crunchy and has skills. For PBP there will be some serious house rulings mainly for Ship combat but also in other places, which i will post later after I create a forum for the game.

In the meantime you can play around with character gen. we will be using the online generator found here:

https://sta.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

I have the books if anyone needs instruction PM me

For character creation select core, beta quadrant, and command division (operations is not available even though it is implemented in the generator)

Choose the TNG Era (The game will begin in 2368-69 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek#24th_century   )

All characters will be Federation Races... Mixed species are allowed

All Characters will be Star Fleet and should default to the experienced category however if you wish you  may make a young officer that choice is yours

When it come to assignments the following will be available.

Flight Controller Not a typical senior staff role, some captains, particularly those operating in uncharted space, choose the most senior helmsman or flight control officer to serve as senior staff as well.

Science Officer A science officer is responsible for advising the commanding officer of all matters scientific, providing hypotheses in matters concerning the unknown. Not all ships have a dedicated science officer within the senior staff, often having the operations manager take on these duties.
Chief Medical Officer The chief medical officer, also known as ship’s surgeon, or ship’s doctor, is responsible for the health and wellbeing of the crew and other persons aboard the ship, and leads the ship’s medical department. A chief medical officer can order, and countermand the orders of, senior officers where matters of that officer’s health are concerned.
Ship's Counselor On larger ships and starbases, it’s common to have personnel dedicated to the mental soak. Some captains regard them as valuable advisors, as their training covers both culture and psychology, making them exceptionally good at reading the moods and intentions of others.
Chief of Security The chief of security oversees the ship’s security department, and is responsible for ensuring the safety of the ship and crew during missions, for the investigation of disciplinary and criminal matters, and for overseeing the protection of important persons aboard the ship. On many ships, the chief of security operates from the Tactical station on the bridge.
Chief Engineer The chief engineer is responsible for ensuring that the ship remains operational and functional, and commands the engineering department aboard the ship.
Operations Manager The operations manager manages and oversees all technical operations aboard or involving the ship, normally from the Operations station on the Bridge, or in conjunction with the chief engineer (on smaller ships, one officer may fill both roles). This often entails taking on the duties of a science officer, if there is no dedicated science officer in the senior staff.

Y'all decide among yourselves who will do what

any questions post here until I get a dedicated forum set up

If the young officer option were chosen how would that work with the assignments given in the list? These assignments definitely appear to be senior staff and wouldn't seem to be open to a junior officer without some really serious Voyager-esque shenanigans going on. 

Why the question? Because I'm not familiar with the game system and don't have the books ergo being an ensign would probably be a good fit.

it will likely be a small ship but young officer could be a brilliant LTJG assigned to gain the experience on the fast track.... characters that fit that bill are Chekhov (chief navigator) La forge (originally Conn officer then Chief engineer) and numerous officers in books and comics. Remember starfleet tends to play loose with ranks and stuff especially in the lower grades.

Hi Noir.

Embarrassingly, when I first read your reply on my phone I thought it was from Nina. Sorry about that. So why engineering rather than medical? On a small ship it wouldn't seem to be terribly unusual for the medical officer to be a lieutenant so someone with a background advantage might be selected for the posting despite being young. And some of the life events look like they'd give a medical depth a lot of normal path doctors wouldn't have. Being a ship's counselor would be an easier medical alternative but its just not the same.

For everyone and along more general lines; I notice Borg show up in the chargen system. Are there any examples of this outside of 7 of 9 from Voyager? 

Ah!

I misunderstood what she was saying.

Thanks for the clarification on the Borg. I'm wasn't going to go with a Borg or Borg-ish character for my first go at the system but I could see where the developers might include it in chargen. There were a lot of Federation (and Romulan, and Klingon, and...) citizens assimilated by the Borg in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. The Borg wouldn't assimilate then pull all the new collective members back into the Delta quadrant so eventually there would be people liberated from the collectives that would try to get on with their lives but still have remnants of their Borg experience. Some of them would be Star Fleet or young enough to go on to Star Fleet when older.

What factions would you like to be our main adversaries/encounters (yes the Klingons are allies but they have issues) during the beginning of our game.

Klingons

Romulans

Cardassians

Talarians

Tzenkethi

Some one New

this is multiple choice so just list the ones you wish to interact with in an order of most to least

post them here please

thank you

click on the map to open a larger version

8gg8tuq2qpgz.jpg

For what it's worth, among the list of species listed in the Character Generator thingy, the follow are Federation species;

Andorian, Ardanan, Benzite, Betazoid, Bolian, Deltan, Efrosian, Human, Rigellian Chelon, Rigellian Jelna, Risian, Tellarite, Trill, Vulcan, and Zakdorn

Archived