ABERRANT WEIDER STUFF: MORE THAN WHAT WE ARE

Sara Hutchins

Spoiler

ANYONE IS FREE TO JUMP IN FOR SOME RP

Bunny's Burgers occupied it's singular place in the Shelly universe, ubiquitous, unchanging, a temple to teen drama and angst, a gateway to adulthood.

Despite the increase in business and the still growing number of new patrons (mostly military) as well as the occasional superpowered battle on or near the premises, the drive-in looked the same as it had five, ten, or even twenty-five years ago. Bunnie, the proprietor, also looked much the same, oh a little fatter maybe and the hair on top of his head thinner and what was there now was mostly gray, but still he was Bunnie. Even Maureen the waitress who, had been working there when Bunnie took the place over before most of the current crop of customers had even been born and had been middle aged then, still looked pretty much like she had always looked and still chain smoked Marlboro's, two full packs a day. Only the good lord knew how she could afford that.

Then on second thought and a third glance, there had been changes. Since Devin's departure Bunnie had been unable (or unwilling) to settle on a second short order cook to help out and work when bunnie was off. Instead a line of them had come and gone usually not lasting more that a week, two at the most. And of course there were the young waitresses who had a lower turnover than the the cooks but still most of them, girls either in high school or a new version, girls from nearby (a misnomer here in Montana) coming to Shelly to catch a husband from the base, they only last a month or two.

Still as far as unchanging goes, in Shelly, Bunny's was about as good as you were going to find.

Sara Hutchins pulled into the parking lot of Bunny's Burgers and parked in the long stay area instead of the car hop section. She intended to go in but sat instead the engine of the Jeep her girlfriend, the Key known as Savant, had bought her, clicking as it cooled. She looked inside through the big glass window she could see Maureen and a couple of younger girls she didn't know waiting tables even after lunch the place was still over half ful, she also saw Bunnie who was talking or berating his newest short order cook, a tall insanely skinny African American kid who was wearing of all things a Fedora. The kid was nodding at what ever Bunnies was forcefully saying but Sara could see the tension in the kids jaw. She had felt that same tension a lot when she was younger. Ha, younger. She was only eighteen and , that only for less than a week, but damn how seventeen felt like a life time ago. She glanced over at the carhop section it was full. There were only eight spots and until recently hadn't even been in use but Bunny had had the speakers replaced with modern screen menus and he now had carhops in shorts and tanks running order day and night on the weekends some of the girls even wore roller skates. Sara admired the nice legs of one of the girls as she walked into the restaurant carrying a tray of trash. She frowned then got out of the Jeep, grabbed a book bag and went inside.

A few people kids, well young adults, she knew from high-school, looked at her as she made her way to the booth where the Irregulars usually sat when they were there. She was a little over five six in height, while not fat or overweight by any means, she did tend to fill out her cloths, especially the shoulders and hips due to inheriting her fathers bone structure. Unfortunately she also inherited her dads looks, squarish jaw, high brow, same long chin and broad nose. Finished off with a wide thin lipped mouth and anyone would be hard pressed to say she was pretty yet still she drew the admiring desirous looks she always had. Today due to the heat she had her short hair combed back, held in place by sunglasses pushed up on her forehead. She was wearing a white tank top with a pale yellow vampiric fanged smiley face emblazoned across her chest the words SUCK IT! in red letters below. She was bra-less as she was most often and her nipples were clearly outlined through the thin material. Her jeans were wide bottomed, patched and embroidered and would have been in fashion back in the nineteen seventies during the heyday of the hippie movement. A look which was only reinforced by her bare naked feet. On anyone else in Shelly her look would have been scandalous but for Sara it was the norm. When people in Shelly said she was queer they meant it in the old way, meaning weird.

Vampire-Smiley.jpg

She sat and ordered a burger and fires along with an large chocolate shake made with real ice cream as advertised on the nineteen fifties style table menu, another new addition playing up the nostalgia angle of the drive-in. While she waited for her food she took out three of the books (Natural Law and Natural Rights byJohn Finnis, On Liberty by John Stuart Mill, and A Treatise of Human Nature by David Hume) in the bag and looked at them trying to decide which to dive into.

At about that time the bell over the door jingled and she glanced back over her shoulder to see who had entered.

It was uncommon, but there were days Abel left his lab, office, and the Irregular solutions Headquarters and just went out.    Today he was alone, driving back to Shelly proper in the same jeep he'd driven since he got his license.    Given that money was no concern, he could have something truly nice, but he liked what he had.  It let him blend in, as it were, far better than his preferred mode of travel, simply flying there on his own.   He pulled up to Bunny's, and smiled.  Some things simply didn't change.

Of course when he got out, the heads of nearly everyone who saw him turned, their gazes drawn to Young man who exuded a calm serenity that was nearly infectious, all the while looking like he'd simply leaped fromt he pages of comics.   It wasn't that he was in a costume, Indeed, his suit was reconfigured to look like a simple Tee-shirt emblazoned with the same Autobot symbol his jeep was, and jeans, not torn like so many worn, but they had the faded look of  something he wore often.   On his feet were a pair of heavy leather workboots.   Aside the Autobot symbol, he cut  the image of the perfect teenage male from Montana.   

Attire aside, Abel was among the most physically handsome men alive, though not quite on the level Sean and Courtney were among women.   Heads turned when he walked in the diner, and he sighed inwardly.   It was like this pretty much everywhere, but at least now he wasn't reading the thoughts of those around him like before.

He took a moment, and saw Sarah, Seated at the booth they all shared, and smiled.  It was odd to see her alone, but then that was how things had been before.  He made his way to the booth and asked quietly.  "Mind if I join you?"  He took in the changes to the place, happy in some ways, but abit wistful with nostalgia.   There was still part of him, albeit a tiny one, that liked things to remain simple, and like they used to be.

Seeing Abel coming through the door and hearing all the snaping as heads turned that way Sara sighed a bit and beagane putting her books back inot her bag. She was just finishing when Her friend stopped at what was ostensibly their table.

16 minutes ago, Abel Cross said:

"Mind if I join you?"  He took in the changes to the place, happy in some ways, but abit wistful with nostalgia.

"Sure," she said with a shrug and a gesture with the hand that had just closed the book bag at the seat across from her,"Kind odd seeing you outside the lab these days. Everything okay?"

Abel smiled as he took a seat.  "Nah, nothing's wrong, just felt like taking a day off, since pretty much everyone else is.   James is on a walkabout, seeing the world, and Mariah's running her own tests and catching up on some coursework.   I don't know what exactly Sean's got going on today, I figured he'd be spending today with you honestly."

"How about with you?  Everything back to normal now, no new issues?"  He looked at some of the patrons who were still looking at him, and raised an eyebrow.   That was all it took for them to look away, and go back to their own conversations.   Like Sarah, Abel knew most everyone here, he'd grown up alongside them, and he was still getting used to drawing attention the way he did now.

Her laugh caught Abel off guard.

"Nothing will ever be normal for any of us Abel. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that ever fully realized and accepted. Even before Apollo blasted me."

She shook her head and picked up several fries and swept them through the catsup on her plate before popping them in her mouth. She looks back over her shoulder at the other diners many who quickly look away embarrassed to be caught staring. "God their wondering if I have powers, if I ever did," She looks back at Abel and smirks, "And you know I do but you don't know what and your afraid to ask and even more afraid to use your own powers to find out."

Sara shakes her head again as she takes a strong sip of her thick shake.

"I seem to remember a very specific threat if I used that power on you again without permission, and unlike Lily and Kia, I'm not unkillable."   he smiled.   "Point of fact, I actually did die once already, I'm not keen on repeating that experience."

His gaze met hers and he shrugged.  "I can do things that way if you want,  its easier for you to show me without anyone coming to harm in such a demonstration."

The fact was he had been practicing.     The irregulars trained together, and despite some misgivings, a few had agreed to help him in his own quest to master ALL of his abilities.   "I know what I saw, and it raised many questions, but I know that was only the surface.   I do want to know more. we all do, so I will ask you to show me."

He wasn't asking for everyone really, though their peace of mind was important.   The truth was nobody really knew what happened,  and while they were thankful she had her abilities back,  there was some unease on just how it had all happened, and the nature of her transformation, a form that forced a god to back down.   It was obvious he was asking her to show him in her thoughts,  asking permission to read them, or at least have her send it via guildchat, so that he could understand.

• 2 weeks later...

"I was scared back then. I didn't understand. None of us did except you and you kept it from us. We were kids," she shrugs," really, how did you expect us to act, for me to act."

Sara pushed her plate aside and leaned forward folding her arms onto the table. "I'm not the same. I changed. Now with me sitting here you can tell that i'm just a girl, I don't have any powers, I'm just like the rest of them. Except I'm not." She reaches over and puts a hand on the bag of books and slides it across the table top to Abel. "I think you need these mor than I do."

Sara leans back and grabs her shake after taking a sip she  asks "So how are you and Kia?"

Spoiler

if abel looks there are seven or eight philosophy books in the bag

Abel looked at her, and an inner part of him bristled slightly at the insinuation, but it never made it from the depths of his mind.   Still, he took the books and nodded.  "Kia and I are doing well.  Things are abit different now, but not in a bad way.   We accept and love each other, that's the important thing.   Our trip to Hawaii was an eye opening experience for us both."     He wasn't one to kiss and tell, though he felt certain the others knew or at least suspected what happened, if they had any concern over it.   

"I ended up buying the Condo we stayed at, so we've all got a real nice vacation spot if we want to just get away for a weekend."   It may have seemed quaint, simply traveling to another part of the planet when other worlds were out there waiting to be explored, but sometimes it was good to stay close to home, as it were.  

"And you and Sean, I trust everything's going good with the two of you?"   

Archived