21 [2d20=12, 9]
7 [2d20=5, 2]
21 [2d20=2, 19]
23 [2d20=5, 18]
20 [2d20=1, 19]
40 [2d20=20, 20]
3 [2d20=1, 2]
18 [2d20=11, 7]

Originally I wanted Evie to use a bow.  I know, I know... why when you can use a gun?  Because.  That's why.  Now, like most players of Starfinder, I was pretty disappointed to learn that there is one bow in the equipment listings.  Apparently when you have magic and technology doing the horizontal mambo all over the place... no one thought to create a series of bows that do cool shit. 

So, I did (with some help from the Paizo peeps).  So, submitted for approval...

Starfinder Bows

A bow is a weapon for shooting arrows, typically made of a curved piece of wood whose ends are joined by a taut string.  The technology involving the creation bows are wide and varied, from a single piece of wood, to carbon fiber.  They generally come in two varieties: compound or recurve.
Compound: A compound bow is a bow that uses a levering system, usually comprised of cables and pulleys, to bend the limbs.  This results in a much more powerful draw, since the pulleys do most of the work for the archer.  In game terms, a compound bow allows the the user to apply their strength bonus to damage rolls.  The bow must be set to particular strength adjustment and anyone attempting to use a compound bow set for a strength higher than their own takes penalty equal o the difference in their strength adjustment to that of the bow (so someone with a +3 adjustment attempting to use a bow set for a +5 adjustment, takes a -2 penalty to their attack roll, but still gains a +5 damage bonus).  Compunds are desired by larget, stronger species who wish to kill silently, but from a distance.
Recurve: A recurve bow is a bow with limbs that curve away from the archer when unstrung. A recurve bow stores more energy and delivers energy more efficiently, giving a greater amount of energy and speed to the arrow.  The limbs are usually made from multiple layers of fiberglass, carbon and/or wood on a core of carbon foam or wood, but in Starfinder they ould be made from anything.  In game terms, a recurve bow allows the user to use their dexterity adjustment as a damage bonus.  Almost anyone can use a recurve bow, although larger, stronger species tend to gravitate towards compound bows.

Regardless of the name, any of the following bows may be designed as compound or recurve (Example: Eldarian Compound Bow or Tactical Vesk Recurve Bow).  In Starfinder, technomancy and technology have developed bows that, for the most part, are relatively easy to store and carry.  Each bow can fold itself up via a series of gears and joints that allows the weapon to be no larger than the riser of the bow, allowing for them to be stored in hip, thigh and small-of-the-back holsters.  Readying a bow (since they unfold themselves at the flip of a switch) is as easy as drawing a gun or a blade.

Short Bow: Level 1 | 300 credits | 1d8 P | 60 ft |  1 Capacity | Usage 1 |  Bulk L | Quick reload
Composite Bow: Level 7 | 6000 credits | 2d6 P | 120 ft |  1 Capacity | Usage 1 |Bulk L | Quick reload
Vesk Power Bow: Level 10 | 19000 credits | 3d6 P | 120 ft | 1 Capacity | Usage 1 | Bulk L | Quick reload
Eldarian Bow: Level 13 | 46000 credits | 4d6 P | 120 ft | 1 Capacity | Usage 1 | Bulk L | Quick reload
Tactical Vesk Bow: Level 15 | 92000 credits | 3d12 P | 160 ft | Knockdown Critical | 1 Capacity | Usage 1 | Bulk L | Quick reload
Advanced Eldarian Bow: Level 17 | 215000 credits | 4d12 P | 160 ft | Knockdown Critical | 1 Capacity | Usage 1 | Bulk L | Quick reload
Tactical Arc Bow: Level 20 | 710000 credits | 5d12 P | 160 ft | Knockdown Critical | 1 Capacity | Usage 1 | Bulk L | Quick reload

What about grenades on arrows?
Any grenade attached to an arrow over rides the damage of the bow it is fired from.  So, if you fire a 3d6 grenade arrow from a Tactical Arc Bow (5d12 damage), your arrow will only do 3d6 damage, but will explode, affecting all in the radius as a grenade would.  These is no way to combine your bow damage with a grenade arrow, sorry, no double dipping.

(Techno)Magical Bows:
The Torch Bow: This bow can be of any of the style listed above.  Not very fancy, but any arrow fired this bow bursts into flame and strikes its target with searing heat.  All of the damage from this weapon is considered fire damage.  These bows can be of any elemental type: Gunk (corrosive), Rime (cold), Spark (electrical), Whistler (sonic).  Regardless of the element attached to it, they all function the same: all of the damage is converted to a particular element.

Eldarian Oathbow:  This white compound bow (+2 Str bonus, although it can be adjusted) whispers “Swift defeat to my enemies” in Eldar when nocked and pulled. Once per day, if the archer swears aloud to slay her target (a free action), the bow’s whisper becomes the shout “Death to those who have wronged me!” Against such a sworn enemy, arrows launched from it deal an additional two dice of whatever damage the bow normally inflicts, and ×3 on a critical hit instead of the normal ×2. After an enemy has been sworn, the bow is treated as having a +0 strength adjustment against all foes other than the sworn enemy, and the archer takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls with any weapon other than the oathbow. These bonuses and penalties last for 7 days or until the sworn enemy is slain or destroyed by the wielder of the oathbow, whichever comes first.

The oathbow may only have one sworn enemy at a time. Once the wielder swears to slay a target, he cannot make a new oath until he has slain that target or 7 days have passed. Even if the wielder slays the sworn enemy on the same day that he makes the oath, he cannot activate the oathbow’s special power again until 24 hours have passed from the time he made the oath.

'Darkstriker': Generally formed from blackened, cold materials from the planet Eox this generally creepy looking bow follows patters of death, skulls, fangs and other less flattering images.  Any arrow fired from this bow may strike incorporeal beings.  Further more, the bow may create its own spectral arrows, fueling itself with the wielder's life force.  For each hit point the user sacrifices, they gain two arrows for the weapon.  The arrows are stored within the bow, appearing when needed by pulling the bow string back.  Although this hit point damage may be cured normally, the wielder may never have more spectral arrows stored within the bow than their total character level, and any unused arrows fade after 24 hours.

Pentad Arc Bow: What happens when you pack Vesk Technomancers into an archery think tank?  You get a bow with very limited range, but it's a shotgun... because Vesk.  Any arrow fired from this bow silently bursts into a volley of smaller flechette arrows.  The result is a silent shotgun style effect with a range increment of 20 feet and the 'Blast' quality.  Other than that, this bow inflicts whatever damage it was designed to inflict from the listing above.

The Widowmaker: This bow possesses a small reservoir in the riser where liquids can be poured.  The bow is capable of holding 5 doses of any poison, but whatever poison it is filled with will ave it doses double.  So 5 doses will fuel 10 arrows.  Whenever the bow is drawn after poison is placed in the reservoir it will automatically coat that arrow with the toxin with a command word (spoken as a free action).  Any toxin on an arrow fired from this bow has its DC to resist it's effects increased by +2 and on a critical hit the DC to resist the toxin is increased by +4.  Only poisons may be used with this bow.  Players can not transfer the effects of potions or oils and any other hair brained thing players can come up with.  Once the reservoir is filled, it may not be removed.  You may utter a command word to destroy the poison in the reservoir, allowing it to be filled with a new type of toxin.  You may not mix poisons either.

Loot from Episode 1

1- Green level force field

1- magic scepter - needs to be identified (we will do this in character when the next adventure starts)

5 - redstar plasma pistols

27 - cred sticks each with 2d20 creds (roll for each one) = 621 credits

1-  blue crystal  cut in the shape of a five-pointed star. found by the mummies corpse radiates magic

aboard the ship are  10 cred sticks each with 2500 creds loaded = 25000 credits

Total Credits = 25, 621 /6 = 4270 credits a piece if divided equally, with a credit left over.

Mewtoo (The Mummy Priest) also had a Staff, but don't know if it was of any particular worth.

So loot totals...

Credits
27 looted cred sticks, totaling 621 credits.
+ 10 Cred sticks waiting on the ship (2,500 cr each), totaling 25,000 credits
25,621 Credits total

Looted Gear
5 x red star plasma pistols (Gorunta called dibs on one already)
1x Green level force field (Jexa will likely give it to Jordayn)

We have to identify the following in character when the next adventure starts
1 x magic scepter
1 x blue crystal cut in the shape of a five-pointed star. Found by the mummies corpse radiates magic

And, of course, we now own the Solenya!

There are seven of us, counting Ninura (or eight if the drow joins and we give her a cut). 

This is also probably a good place to sell or trade gear among ourselves, instead of selling it back at 10% retail value.

Also, between Jexa, Echo and Jordayn, we can make virtually anything (meds, drugs, food packs, potions, spell gems, magic items, tech items, hybrid items and so on) that is lvl 5 or lower. The cost is the same, but the custom built items are easier to repair and a little more sturdy.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Ok I am agreeing with Noir on the harshness of Concentration in Starfinder. I propose changing it to a condition instead of an action.

"Concentrating - While concentrating to maintain a Spell or Effect the Person Concentrating cannot cast another spell nor activate another Effect until She ends Concentrating. A Character Concentrating may take His Standard action and His Move Action but any Checks are at -2."

I'm not going to arbitrarily change this since i never played Pathfinder before so don't really know if this will make a big impact or not. So I would like to here if you are for or against this change.

I think that is perfectly fair.

It reflects that you are concentrating to maintain a spell, and therefore are not able to conjure forth new arcane energies (no new spells while concentrating), and also reflects that concentration does take some effort, so splitting your attention (-2 to other actions) if you try to do other stuff.

It is a good middle road between SF and 5e.

5e lets you still cast other single action casting time spells while maintaining concentration (which is super generous in my opinion), or take other actions, including attacks, while maintaining concentration.

SF made concentrating a Standard action, so you could still get your Move action, but take no other standard actions.

This way you cannot cast new spells AND even suffer a penalty if you try to do anything besides concentrate.

So I looked up the rules on upgrading the ship and it turns out that ship upgrades are on a different economy than our personal pay. However, an emergency share of loot is still probably a good idea.

That brings me to my question: what're the stats for our ship, and do we get to upgrade anything now that we're level five?

Captain would be Evanna, I think. Co-pilot could be anyone who has Pilot skill. Tactical also uses Pilot.

Science Officer uses Computer, so I think Jexa could do that?

Medic is just something I threw on because it's something the ship has space for, but it's not something we necessarily have to have an official one of on the crew. :)

If that is the case then..

Crew Complement
- Captain = Eve?
- Pilot =: Sunshine
- Co-pilot = ?
- Science Officer = Jexa
- Engineer = Echo
- Tactical = ?
- Medic = ?

Jordayn has no Piloting or Computers, so I guess Medical is all he is qualified for? That means all of the people with Piloting (Sunshine, Eve, Jexa, Echo) are filling other rolls, so no Co-pilot and we have to fall back on Gorunta's BAB of +5 for shooting instead of somebody with Piloting +10 (Eve, Jexa, Echo).

Well, we can dynamically assign people as needed.

Turn 1 we have Evanna give orders as Captain, Sunshine do some manuevers, and Echo focus shields while Jexa operates the turret, for example.

Turn 2, Sunshine keeps evading, Echo locks down some damage we took while Jexa does a sensor lock and Evanna takes the shot.

And so on.

Good point on Jordayn, he's the logical choice for medic.

The crew positions listed there would be sort of the 'default' choices at any encounter's beginning. Our official crew roles don't define the only actions we can take.

I think as the 'Face' Evie was the default 'Captain'.  If only as a figure head for the crew.  Considering the joint ownership of the ship its hard to peg down any one person as 'the leader'.  Since all of her social (Leadership) skills are 2-7 points higher than the current skill cap (thanks to class abilities) she makes the standard choice for leadership rolls aboard the ship.

Yeah, place Jordayn as 'Medic'. I purposefully didn't give him any of the standard ship-based skills of Computer, Engineering, Pilot, or Intimidate. He could manage the Captain rule using Diplomacy to try to bolster others, if Evana is needed to use some of her other ship skills elsewhere.

Keep in mind that if people are looking to squeeze every possible bonus from every possible situation, you won't get that with me or my character.  That's just never how I've played games.  With Evie as the 'Captain', just because she can bolster doesn't mean she's going to.  Starfinder doesn't leave much uniquness among skills, every class is pretty much capable of everything it all boils down to how many SP they get each level.

RPGs aren't numbers games to me, so I don't wanna hear any complaints if Evie could have bolstered or some other skill feature and didn't.  If you guys are looking looking to suck out every possible bonus and 'win', I'm not the person whose gonna do that for you.

It does not mean he is a good one either.  ;)

"Good" is relative and somewhat a patter of personal opinion.

The fact is that entire rest of the crew (with the exception of Jordayn), has double or even triple Gorunta's bonus to hit when using the ships guns.

The 'best' people for a job, which OOC is generally determined by their bonuses and such, do not always do said job though. It's part of life. We all make do.

• Matt changed the title to OOC: Starfinder Discussion
  • 4 months later...

Aside from the cash, none of what was discovered is particularly interesting to Eve.  The cash, nor the XP are going to affect any of Evvie's playability, so I'll get that updated as soon as I can.  That said, if you wanted to begin the next Episode, Evvie's lack of being updated won't affect anything.

I'll get to the update when I'm able.  Been hella busy.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if you guys are still interested in this y'all have a shuttle with a bunch of vesk approaching your ship. and while i have had post dancing around it no one has addressed what y'all are actually doing.

If the interest is gone let me know  and i will either cancel the game or rework it for those who are still interested.

but please give me something

Similar place as Dave. I've had limited time to post lately, and I've tended to focus on the games that people are posting to...the ones that are quieter have fallen by the wayside for me, which isn't fair to them. I'll try to be better about that.

you did and so did a couple of others but the posts were not action posts and really didnt give me anything that i could use to move the scene forward and there are three other players who have not posted in a long time. I know rl gets in the way, i know that sometimes you just dont feel like posting lord knows i get that way and have to drag my ass back to the keyboard.

I am not criticizing anyone I just want to know if we still want to play this one or if it's grown tired and needs to be put to pasture.  I have two games going that are fairly actice and get a lot of my attention and two that are quite frankly growing grass. This is one of those and I can and want to give it full attention  if the return is there.

that's all

again not bitching at anyone just want to know

Archived