ABERRANT: WEIRDER STUFF SEASON TWO - EPISODE ONE - "WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE"

WS ST

Abel followed behind the bear, his thoughts having reached out to the helicopters and their pilots.  "They're RCMP, so yeah, we should get a move on."

Once again, Abel nudged the bear, getting it to lead head back to its den at a more quickened pace, heedless of those following it.   It just wanted to sleep, and everything else be damned.   

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CANADIAN WILDERNESS
BEAR'S TRAIL

"I hope Pooh gets there soon, because the clock is seriously ticking." Lilly sighed as she kept an eye on the trail to see if the bear was heading back the way it came, or to some other destination.

She had caught the glare from Sean as Tease had departed. Sean seemed to believe what Tease had said, and she could imagine the outrage that might be coming from Sean for it. Sean was protective of Laurie, but it was weeks ago, and all Lilly could do was hope that Sean might understand once she explained herself.

Lilly was not sure if the others had even caught it, or if they even cared. If they did, she hoped that they might understands too. Regardless, this was not the place nor time for that discussion.

CAMP AZURE
PLANET APALON

Lilly looked down into Sara's eyes, relieved at her regaining consciousness, but then a bit surprised at Sara's soft caress of the side of her face. She had know Sara for a while now, but she had always been a bit standoff-ish with pretty much everybody, aside from Sean. Lilly just smiled and gave her a hug, glad to see her friend was, at the very least, not hurt.

"Fine, as in not hurt, or fine as as in ;I got my powers back'?" Lilly asked as she broke the hug, adding "And how do you know we have to get back now?" as she helped up Sara, though she simply took her at her word.

She then moved to Kyle and crouched down in front of him, making sure to get to his eye level as she took each of his hands in her own.

"And my mother will be worried too. We have to go for a bit, but between Sara's dad and my mom, you'll have two great people looking out for you. I can stay behind too, if that would make you feel better, but I would only be here for a day or so unless I return. But either way, you are safe here, and have nice people to take care of you. And when I come back, I will bring you something too." she explained to Kyle with a soft smile.

"But don't you worry. I said I'm not going to let anything happen to you, and I meant it." Lilly said as she pulled him close, giving him a hug and a kiss on the head. 

Tease's claim about Lilly and Devin could have been just another barb to get a rise, but she had said with such desire to see Lilly taken down that Sean didn't believe she was lying. And then too, the subtle change on body language between Lilly and Devin made sense with that revelation. It would have to be addressed, but not at the moment. Still, she couldn't refrain from giving Lilly a hard look, and the faint tightness of her mouth, a tenseness about her eyes said the accusation was true.

Aware of the helicopters, calculating their route and velocity, she urged the others on, directing them so they could use any cover they could from the terrain for as long as they could. Some of the helicopters would stay at the crater where the bear was dealt with, but not all.

Her phone vibrated in a distinct pattern of pulses, and Sean's jaw tightened as she pulled her phone from a dedicated sleeve for it. Though with it's functions and more computing power than most top of the line gaming rigs, smartphone was a misnomer - she'd have to come up with a better term. The vibration pattern told what the alert was for and with a flick of her thumb, she brought up the feed from her home. She practically ground her teeth audibly before she forced herself to calm down.

It seemed to be a particularly aggravating act, flaunting and meant to antagonize, serving no purpose beyond to annoy. Especially after realizing General Pryor's death had been faked, meant to fool her in particular. Her mouth tightened as she considered the reasons Ronin would do such a thing and why Pryor would seemingly work with him of his own apparent volition.

Sean fell into step with Pete, the oversized Jeane on his other side, and gave the man a tight smile and a casually intense once-over, not willing to take anything at face value anymore. Human, Key, or something else altogether. They hadn't seen or heard from Hooli in some time. Sean pursed her lips, musing on Pete. Nor had there been evidence of entity riding or possessing Taleena.

"If it was you, thank-you for... influencing Jeane to come back and whatever 'little' aid you could provide," Sean said, ignoring his jibe about their ages. She couldn't exactly say he or Tease were completely wrong. "Is there any chance you saw what was done to the bear or have some inkling on how?" Her nostrils flared in a silent snort - it still troubled her she hadn't seen or could figure out where all that energy had gone. "Or who or what did it?" Her lips quirked wryly. "We don't have much time left before we have to depart. Will you need a lift someplace? We can do that for you at least."

Kia gave Lilly a sympathetic look. The implication from Tease was a bit of a shock...she hadn't really thought they were each other's types...but it wasn't THAT big a deal. They were in high school, not married with kids. It wasn't that it wasn't serious, but...well...mostly she just wanted to help everyone get through their stuff without getting hurt.

Maybe, for now, focusing on the really super confusing stuff going on with the bear?

"Yeah, it seems like now there's two big mutated animals appearing and threatening people," she chimed in with Sean. "That can't be a coincidence. Is there another Key doing this?"

On 5/31/2018 at 7:16 AM, Sean Cassidy said:

"If it was you, thank-you for... influencing Jeane to come back and whatever 'little' aid you could provide," Sean said, ignoring his jibe about their ages. She couldn't exactly say he or Tease were completely wrong. "Is there any chance you saw what was done to the bear or have some inkling on how?" Her nostrils flared in a silent snort - it still troubled her she hadn't seen or could figure out where all that energy had gone. "Or who or what did it?" Her lips quirked wryly. "We don't have much time left before we have to depart. Will you need a lift someplace? We can do that for you at least."

Pete shrugged, he seemed to do that a lot. "Nah I was sleeping and saw the giant bear in my dream saw that he was in pain so in my dream I followed him then I ran in to Little Fire, or she almost ran into me. Ever since I had my frisrt awake dream a few months ago that happens sometime. I ddint see what happened to the bear  or who did it but maybe he did."

Pete had stopped and pointed up along a ridge about 200 meters away and the rest of the Irregulars stopped as well.

Apollo was standing there, naked, ebony skin glistening in the sun, his eyes glowing with Quantum fire.

Sara explained as they made their way to the portal. "I think when I was connected to Kyle that I saw some of the things he saw and one of them was that our friends are in danger and if they fail the world will pretty much be over. So it's back to saving the world Lilly."

It took a little convincing at the gate but soon they were stepping out of the portal back on Earth.  "Do you know where they are?" Asked Lilly

"Not really Can you find them through your clone?"

A hurt look flashed across Jeane's face as Pete ignored her question in favor of answering Sean's. Not that she could blame him entirely, the older Key was very... present. Try again with less backpedaling next time Sean was busy doing *anything else*. The bundle of ugly thoughts was put aside as she processed just exactly *what* he had said and looked at the new arrival.

Oh, come on! Six months without meeting another Key or even so much as a two-tailed squirrel, and here was *another* guy looking even more Keyish than anyone else she'd seen today. Even if he was naked. Wait, why was he naked?!?

"Tell me you know him and that he's friendly," Jeane exhaled, stepping between Pete and the stranger on the chance that glowing eyes was a sign he was about to attack them or preparing to, "That would be very nice."

"That is Apollo, and his appearance, especially like that, isn't something any of us are used to."  There was a warning edge in his voice, and his entire sensory suite of abilities narrowed to the renegade titan, or at least that's how he thought of him.   

Abel spared a quick thought to Charlie.  <any idea on why he decides to show up looking like a pissed off deity now?  You have spent more time with him than the rest of us.  Just think your answer back and I'll catch it, since we don't have the link right now.>

<About as much as the handle I have on you guys.> Charlie's sour mind-voice spoke for itself on that subject. He was just worn out already trying to deal with the issues between a group that clearly predated his meeting them, and were outside his understanding. Honestly, even Apollo appearing naked did not elicit much of a reaction from him. No defense like that of a stewing teen, super-powered or not.

Sean noticed Apollo's appearance even before Pete pointed. Her eyes glittered but her expression was smooth and calm, despite Apollo appearing like a dark skinned Dr. Manhattan. There might have been an innocuous reason for him arriving in such a way, but Sean doubted it, not naked and with the quantum roiling in his eyes. Could Ronin have suborned him as well in his plans like he had General Pryor? Initially, Sean would have doubted it, but now...

"Interesting Pete," Sean murmured, her turquoise eyes almost glowing as she focused on the quantum spectrum, seeking a hint of what stirred inside Apollo or what his appearance portended, assessing him for any sense and direction of threat. "You aren't the only I've heard talking like that with the advent of Keys, and I'd like to talk more about it with you, but I think it might be best if you took the opportunity to head back home. Not sure how friendly he's going to be."

Her ability to trust was rapidly falling, not that Apollo's appearance was engendering trust or security. Guildchat was down and Sean presumed Apollo had senses as near as sharp as her, if not greater, so even whispers would be a give away. She caught the eyes of her companions with a warning glance and flicked her eyes, suggesting they begin spreading apart so they would be less likely to all be caught in a single attack. She doubted she fooled Apollo, but it's what she had at hand.

Sean glided fluidly forward and to one side, and arched an unassuming brow towards Apollo, while ready to explode into action, calculating potential moves and countermoves an ever escalating series ahead. "Surprised that you showed up here, Apollo, just at this time, and without even a bathing suit," Sean called out smoothly, her voice clear despite the distance between them. "To what do we owe the pleasure of this... visit, if I may ask?"

CANADIAN WILDERNESS
BEAR'S TRAIL

Lilly looked up at Apollo off in the distance, a bit confused. Why the hell was he here, much less naked? Pandora and Apollo generally did not seek the Irregulars out, especially when on a mission. Then again, it had been a strange and trying day, so this just fit right in. Par for the course.

Lilly then felt the touch of another in her mind, failing to hide her surprise at the fact Lilly had returned. 

< Hey. I am back, and with Sara too. She's... better. Where are you guys? We need to get to you ASAP. Something big is gonna go down. > the newly returned Lilly asked mentally.

< We are up here in the Canadian wilderness, near a town called Tete Jaune Cache. We just fought a giant glacial bear, a lot like the orca-zilla, and met a key up here. Apollo is here too... and naked, for some reason. Do you have a way here? > the duplicate thought back to the original.

CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN
COLORADO

"We do not share a mental link or anything. I mean, we are all in Guild Chat, but using that means risking Devin hearing. I suppose I could try to open a psychic link right to her though." Lilly considered and then remembered what else Sara had just said.

"Danger? What kind of danger? And you... You've stopped soaking up quantum, but I don't sense a node in you either. What happened to you? DO you have powers again? If not, I can at least juice you up for a bit to help you out, because I am pretty sure there is no way you are not coming. It might save your life if things go bad." Lilly asked and offered as she reached out mentally, touching the consciousness of the Lilly she had left behind just a few hours ago.

Lilly's eyes moved from side to side a little, almost like she was reading, as she mentally listened to the other Lilly and nodded.

"Okay.  Canadian wilderness, near a town called Tete Jaune Cache. She said they met another Key, and Apollo is there too, for some reason... and naked?" she told Sara.

The doorbell rang and Tawni shouted that she would get it. Both Pryor and Devin paused in their semi argument to look toward the front of the house and the door. When it disintegrated into shards of wood and plaster exploding inward to engulf Tawni.

At least that's what Pryor saw. Devin had felt the tingle from his node and his instinct kicked in time slowed as he accelerated himself he was at Tawni's back and grabbing her pico-seocnds before her own synapses began to respond to the command for her to answer the door. The front of the building was blown in by the largest quantum blast anyone had ever seen. It would have torn the young Californian girl to shreds if not vaporized her outright.

But Devin was faster than than that he saw the still form of the old woman at the door eyes still glowing from the beams of energy she had blasted the house with, but Devin didn't pause his own quantum snapped him far away and he dropped Tawni and popped again this time into the kitchen the blast had consumed the living room and the staircase leading to the second floor which was already in the first milometers of collapse. The blast wave was a tangible wall of quantum resonance that he could see rolling into the kitchen when he grabbed Pryor and popped again back to where Tawni had been left.

“Stay here do nothing. General if you can get a hold of Lilly do it then and tell her Pandora is trying to kill me” and then he teleported back to face the music.

Apollo floated up into the air and began to move silently and slowly toward the Irregulars his voice rang out with an unearthly timbre. “I don't see Tease. Where is she Charlie? There is no need for her and you to have to face this.” he glanced at Jeane and Pete. “I don't know you two but neither of you are of any consequence. Charlie take them and go. I may find use for you after.”

He landed with a step and went into a fighting crouch.

“The rest of you, time to show me what you've got”

Sara nodded at Lilly's words then at the soldier “Can you open this to that place Vanguard said?”s code name to lend an official air.

“Ma'am I … we could if we had the coordinates and the authorization but...”

“We're the Irregular's I thought that meant something?”

CANADA

Jeane had been laughing inside as she pieced together what she thought she knew about this new Key. Sure, he had to be Powerful by the reactions of the other Irregulars, but the sheer quantity and quality of Personal Issues he had to have to name himself after a god? Too funny. She could picture what kind of insecure person was like that because she was like that when she was nervous. Like today, to be honest.

Then he gave his dismissive little super villain speech and she saw red.

"Three things, Mr. Drama Club. One, you don't get to tell me when to run. Two, wear at least shorts, please," she mouthed off, thumbing her nose once with a smirk as she shifted onto the balls of her feet and danced in place, right arm dropping to her side, "Three, how fast do you think you can chuck one of these at him, Sage? All yours."

With that, the red lightning flashed down her arm and into the form of a two-pronged spear longer than she was tall, gripped loosely in one hand in case Abel took her up on her offer as a weapon caddy.

Spoiler

Spliting action twice.

First action, Activate Quantum Weapon.

Second action. Reserving a Block in case Apollo tries to punch her or goes after Pete. Die pool of 5+5 Mega.

Kia grimaced and rolled her head back, suddenly irritated. Of all the times...

She waved at Jeane before anyone got into trouble.

"It's okay Jeane. Apollo, I know we're supposed to train with you, but this really isn't the best time. There was this giant bear and someone's messing with wildlife and Devin's still running around and...there's just a lot of stuff going on. Can we do it later?" She did her cutest puppy-eyes at him. "Pleeeease?"

Abel's face betrayed nothing.   Kia wanted to see the best in others, but there was no mistaking Apollo's stance, or his tone.   He wasn't here as a friend, and this wasn't training.   He didn't reply to Jeane, he wasn't about to risk tossing her at him, not right now at least, this was not going to be like the Bear.

Even as he shifted the defensive shield he made for others to defend against any attack Apollo might launch, several trees were uprooted from the ground and flung at Apollo at nearly impossible speed. The wooden missiles weren't so much meant to harm him, simply to buy time for the others to get their heads in this game, because this was the real fight here.  Lacking guildchat, they couldn't communicate effortlessly.  Still the trees shed their needles even as they moved through the air at prodigious speed, idly Able wondered if they'd ignite from the friction before they impacted, and sure enough, they did.   

They'd been betrayed from the very outset, operating on flawed Data, and now they'd pay for it.

The icy fingers that ran up Charlie's spine at Apollo's words heightened as Jeane, not knowing who was challenging her - and her competiveness was making her make a very bad mistake. "Jeane..." he reached out, trying to catch her arm, but it was too late, and Abel was already launching trees.

Only then did his hand catch her arm. "Jeane. Apollo is practically a god - completely out of your league- and it looks like he wasn't our friend after all. You and Pete run, now!" And Jeane realized Charlie meant every word of it, and the resigned look on his face - that he seemed to be saying the goodbye.

There was a moment of Jeane looking down into Cole's eyes as the explosion of smoke and dust masked Apollo from conventional sight after impact. Of red lightning dancing around her fingers begging to be used in violence on a bully. Of the refusal to be seen running away again today. Of a mind dancing on the knife's edge of a jump towards the immediate challenge in front of her.

Then, as the smoke cloud billowed towards them, she nodded once, "Okay. But you've beaten bigger, and I'm coming back after you win."

"Yours if you want it," the blonde daredevil added with a flicker of a smile, planting the spear in the dirt next to Proteus and pulling her scarf up around her face, "Coming, Pete? I'll drive. Let's keep some mounties from getting blown up."

Pete's trademark shrug signaled his acceptance, and Jeane scooped him in a fireman carry, Lilly's borrowed strength making it easy as she got her balance centered and beat feet away from the upcoming clash.

Betrayal. Failure. Solutions eluding in too many things when everything else came so easily to her. Sean could feel her heart hardening against trust and hope even as she fought against the lost with resigned determination. Apollo had shown himself to be a false god, as well as false - They had to assume Pandora has as well - and there was no else here to face him.

The world seemed to slow as her thought processes sped up beyond digital capabilities. The strop of the helicopter blades was a low, deliberate thrum in the distance. Long shadows cast by sunlight and the red spear of tight, quantum lightning danced languidly across the ground. Sean could feel the tingle of Jeane's energy spear against her skin as she flowed around to flank the dark-skinned Apollo under Sage's assault.

She could see every twitch and flex of tendon and muscle beneath that black, flawless flesh as Apollo stepped between or around the flaming trees Abel had thrown at him, letting some break and splinter against invulnerable hide and slapped others aside. With inhuman dexterity and strength, the alien creature redirected several of the missiles towards the tall beauty.

They seemed to almost float in the air despite moving the speed of sound several times over. She didn't have Apollo's strength, but she slipped between them like an ephemeral dancer. One evading stepped landed her right in front of another tree, its velocity turning it into a giant, fire-hardened spear and in a motion too quick for the human eye to follow, Sean had her plasma-blade in her hand, like a piece of the sun itself, and cleaved the spear in half lengthwise.

She was not surprised by the second giant flaming spear following the second as she leapt upon it, more graceful than a gazelle, lighter than a feather, ran down it in three flashing strides, then flew through to air to engage the feigned Sun God himself. She'd had preferred allowing him to make the first move, but the scene had been set. Instants mattered and she'd give them to her companions.

Her sunblade of magnetically-constrained photons flickered as she pressed Apollo, striving to step him back, as she eluded counters with almost prescient fluidity and balletic precision, every step eye-catching and flowing into the next. It would be easy to believe she was trying to end him, but it was an illusion, each strike a test, as Savant watched and analyzed, seeking a flaw in his form, in his responses, looking for a weakness to exploit.

Apollo, by his and Pandora's assertions, was hundreds of millennia old. After that much time, raw, brute force wouldn't defeat him, defeat him and Pandora and their arriving siblings, though it might weaken him. More would be needed, something other. Hypotheses and conjectures flashed around her mind faster than lightning. Jeane's great red blade shriving the quantum energy from the Bear. The pulse that had depowered Sara... There had to be a way. Infinite gears of though turned, churning away as she engaged with a being that could destroy her in a blow.

"You have seen a measure of us, Apollo," Savant said with melodious, cool condemnation. "We can grow and evolve. Whereas you and Pandora, you are stagnant... You are apparently unable to grow beyond what you are, what you've always been. Too bad we've only seen the truth too late."

CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN
COLORADO

"Coordinates?" Lilly asked rhetorically as with she pulled out here phone and tapped on it with hand speed so fast that the human eye could not even perceive. She slammed the phone down necks to the solider with a map displayed, showing a single point and GPS coordinates. "There's your coordinates." Lilly said as she turned and look the same solider in the eye.

"Now as far as authorization..." she said as she took in a deep breath and let it out. "My father, Air Force General William Pryor, was just murdered a few hours ago. Right now the rest of the Irregulars are possible facing the same fate if I am not there to help, in force. So if you keep me from my friends, and the rest of the Irregulars perish because you kept me from helping them by not open this portal, then God help me, I will hold YOU personally responsible for their deaths." Lilly said in a calm, yet firm tone that, when combined with her gaze, gave her words a  quite, yet unmistakable intensity.

Sara had never really seen Lilly quite so intense. She was not being overtly intimidate, threatening violence or even displaying her physical power. But she was using ever bit of charisma and gravitas she possessed and speaking her truth, from the heart. Lilly had always felt that she was given her abilities to protect people, and had already let down one of the two most important people in her life. She was NOT going to let the Irregulars... her friends... her found family... down as well. 

"And POTUS will likely share her assessment of the situation as well." Sara chime in. "We can get him on the phone you know, if you need. We know him and he's taken a personal interest in us. Maybe you remember the press conference?" she then added.

The solider, despite his training and experience, looked a bit flustered, unsure of what to say or do as he shifted his gaze to Sara, then to Lilly, and back to Sara to escape the irresistible force of Lilly's gaze.

"Well.. It's just.. There's..." he stammered out, trying to formulate a response and course of action when a new, not unfamiliar voice was heard....

"Open the portal." came an authoritative, familiar voice.

Lilly snapped up and spun around, her eyes wide at the sound of her father's voice. There, standing in some sorts of black, spec ops or high tech ninja outfit, with the helmet off, was her father, and some blonde girl. Or at least it looked like her father. Without a thought Lilly put herself between Sara and them and took a defensive stance.

"Dad?" she asks, cautiously, yet hopefully as she sent out a 'ping' with her node.

He smiled and nodded.

"If you're my dad... then what is our favorite guilty pleasure movie to watch together?" Lilly asked as she mentally hand her hand on the quantum tap in her mind, ready to engage while she reached out with her mind, trying to connect to, not the man before her necessarily, but instead her father, wherever he may be if in range.

"UHF." he said with a sigh. < I showed it to you when you were ten years old. > he added mentally.

In a flash Lilly was hugging her father, though still showing a bit of caution as she examined his physical form with her her quantum powers.

"Ohmygod! We thought Devin killed you!" she said, hugging him tight as Sara, the blonde and solider all looked on.

"I know Lilly Bear. And I am sorry about that. We had to. But we'll have to talk later. Right now, Pandora is trying to kill Devin."

"Wha? Pandora?"

"I know. I know. You just have to trust me on this."

"Dad. He's been going off the deep end. He's-." 

"I know, honey. I will explain later. Please just trust me on this. Right now, there is no time. Your friends need you."

Lilly broke the embrace and stepped back, thinking for a moment as the General turned to the solider and gave some sort of authentication code or something.

"Send them wherever they need to go." he ordered the solider at the portal controls, who nodded.

"Yes sir." he responded.

Spoiler

Before going through the portal:
Activating Multitasking for the scene (-3q)
Boosting herself, 3 sux (-4q)
(Lilly's Atts w/ Boost: Str 6 + 7 Mega, Dex 6 +7 Mega, Stm 6 +6 Mega, +2 B/L soak and +2 health levels for the boosted m-stm)
Activating Enhanced Movement (-2q)
Activating Superheavy (-1q)
Activating Claws (-1q)

CANADIAN WILDERNESS

"Yeah. And we have grown quite a bit..." the Lilly duplicate said with a knowing grin as a portal disk appeared and another Lilly burst though, followed by Sara. 

< Hey guys.> she thought to the others. < My dad's death was faked so he could work with Devin secretly. Seems Devin really took one for the team to make himself look like he was acting a certain way with a certain agenda, in order to trick Pandora and Apollo, but I guess now they've caught on, since Pandora is trying to kill Devin. So I figure this is safe to use. >

"We are each pretty damned amazing in our own right, but none of us are alone. We are a team. Friends. A family. WE are the Irregulars, and together, we are even greater than the sum of our parts." Lilly said as she began to focus.

"Heck, some of us can even multiply THAT sum too." added as she stood between Apollo and her friends.

Quantum surged through every bit of her body... every bit of tissue, bone, blood... down to every single single cell and particle. She then sent even more quantum through herself, forcing it through and out of herself as spirals of quantum energy appeared behind her, to her right and left, again and again, coalescing into physical forms, until finally Lilly was standing at the point of the "V" formation, with over a dozen more Lillys on her left, matched by the same number on her right. It was quite a sight, even for the other Irregulars, to see over two dozen identical Lilly's standing there in formation, when the most duplicates that had ever seen her create was less than a third of this number. This a small army of Vanguards standing there, their fists crackling with kinetic energy as they stared at Apollo.

With bursts of speed so fast that non-enhanced eyes could not even follow, several of the Vanguards in the rear peeled off, one each finding their way to each of the Irregulars, and even Pete, taking up defensive stances, their only purpose to block and defect incoming attacks and essentially protect her friends as much as possible. Several more headed toward the sounds of the choppers, to turn them away, while the rest of the Vanguards, led by Lilly herself, surged toward Apollo, some moving into the brush while the majority fanned out, surrounding Apollo, and attacked, each unleashing a flurry of punches, elbows, knees, kicks and grapple attempts that even Sean had difficulty observing. When Apollo would try to move or fly, arrows would burst from the brush at him, each traveling at an unearthly speed and guided with unwavering aim.

Spoiler

Activating Clone +2q (-4q) for 27 more duplicates +1 duplicate already there, for a total of 28 Lilly clones.

CANADIAN ROCKIES

Blow after blow after blow the titan staggered.

Apollo the great god was assaulted by the irregulars from the telekinetic barrage thrown at him by Sage to the relentless attacks by the multitude of Vanguards.

Dust swirled and began to settle, Apollo staggered, cut bleeding pierced by dozens of arrows from Vanguards super bows. He stood teetering and reached out blindly in supplication "Why"

Then fell flat on his face to lay in the dirt unmoving.

Canadian Wilderness

Jeane hadn't looked back as she took off to give the older Irregulars room to work, focusing on her run with her precious cargo balanced on her shoulders. Then came the booms and the bangs and the bizarre declarations as twin blurs popped up to flank her progress from the corners of her vision. She skidded to a stop as the noise dropped, half-turning in time to see the naked Key slump to the ground surrounded by a mob of Lillies. Her escorts turned out to be two more Lillies who came to a halt as she did with a grace that left her feeling both jealous and stupendously eager to learn once this day came to an end. Huh. That was quick. It brought the phrase 'puny god' to mind, in fact, whatever Ancient Alien crap was going on. She took a deep breath.

"Pete, I'm going to put you down. I think someone was making fun of me," she muttered darkly.

"I'm sure he meant well, Little Fire. Go easy," he offered as she bent and put and put him back on his feet.

"Okay. Woah. Explain please. Who the hell are Apollo and Pandora? What did *he* do to justify this level of beatdown? Yeah, he sounded like an asshole, but he's still a human be..," she asked, plainly struggling to remain calm as the blood drained from her features as she took in Apollo's appearance, "...He is alive, right? Ya know, Key toughness and all that..." 

The spear choose that moment to erupt into a crimson bolt of lightning and thunder, as it dissipated back into the quantum from which it came. 

Sensing an opportunity and weighing against the possibility that it was a trap, Abel tensed for a moment, and came to a decision.   He didn't answer Jeane, instead he focused on the fallen god.  he reached out with his mind, into Apollo's, hoping to get the real truth of what had been going on, and just why they'd come to them in the first place.

Only at the last possible moment did he keep frim hitting the dangerous wall of his mental defenses with his consciousness.   He had mental defenses unlike any he'd ever seen, a wall of titanium crystal rails and spinning razor blades of neutronium.  They spun at such a speed that they absolutely shredded his powers attempts to breach the defense, and he scowled, withdrawing.  

"He's not dead, he's not even unconscious, he's just toying with us."  He spoke the words aloud as he withdrew from the probing attempt, taking note of how the defenses were arranged, for later perhaps.   in truth he knew it had been too easy, and prepared mentally for the real fight.

With all his defenses still up he placed the barrier field between him and them.   This fight was far from over.   He reached down to his hip and drew his own lightsaber, igniting it with it's standard form.  This was going to be a truly unpleasant fight.

"Damn. You're tough. Did I hear Kia right in that you helped train the team? That's awesome. I'm new. Just met the Irregulars today in fact."

Jeane kept her voice even, keeping as much of the 'holy shit, this is nuts and today has been way too long' out of her voice as possible. She gave the closest Lilly a look that begged 'trust me' behind  her blue eyes. The tall blonde tried to avoid thinking how shark-like his grin was as he snapped arrows out of his flesh even as she forced herself to move. One foot in front of the other towards him, arms easy at her side.

"I'm sorry for being rude, sir. Get hot when people dismiss me out of hand. My name is Jeane Hebert, codename Traceuse as of 20 minutes ago just before I beat one-third of a giant ice bear. Or was that after? Anyway. Nice to meet another potential teacher if you're done sparring with my elders and betters. Can't *quite* promise that level of performance, but I hope to have the chance to learn," she continued closer to the forefront of the group, one hand in position for a potential handshake if they let her through. She kept her eyes on Apollo, breathing steady, hoping to hell she was reading this scene well enough to walk away from it alive. If violent escalation wasn't doing the trick...   

Intercepted at well-before the halfway point of her progress to Apollo, Jeane diverted her gaze from Apollo with an apologetic shrug. She raised her hands and stepped back from Charlie, blue eyes amused, "No. But I'll make you a deal. If you're right and I'm wrong, we both get out of her. He told you to run away, too. Call up a portal, step through, and I'll be right behind you. No more fuss from me with you safe. Two less or a thousand more Keys like us shouldn't matter if he's as powerful and violent as you say, right?"

There was a swirling cocktail of anger and concern in that downward glance, the steely desire to not leave someone in despair alone on a ledge.

Then she looked away and back to Apollo, tramping down her worries. She refused to believe that just because someone was stronger than her, they meant her harm without evidence. You  ended up huddled in a closet with a knife pointed at the door 24/7 that way, and something in Apollo, the way he invited, endured, and smiled at the Irregular's best efforts reminded her of one or two of her more... hardassed teachers. And if he could shrug off that kind of beating... Yeah, Jeane could believe this was sparring for Keys. It wasn't like he had actually hurt any of them yet.

She flashed another apology smile, still waiting for an answer.

Kia actually shrank back from the sudden explosion of violence that erupted, forgetting her own physical resilience for a moment. What was she supposed to DO? She trusted Abel and Sean's judgment, and if they thought Apollo meant them harm who was she to object?

But...he hadn't DONE anything yet. Not even after eating a facefull of trees.

"Guys, just...hold on a second! Maybe we're jumping to a conclusion!" she called out. Then she addressed Apollo nervously. "Just tell us what's going on, okay? What do you want with us?"

Spoiler

The following is a dramatic narrative and takes the place of further combat. I does not use the game rules as I was going for narrative instead of accuracy.

Somewhere in California

Devin came back and came back hard he had teleported Tawni and the General back to Cheyenne Mt. Then back to where Pandora had blown her cover and attacked. He reappeared already at superspeed and flashed past her repeatedly hitting her as only he could all to no effect then on his next past she caught him.

Just reached out and grabbed his throat like he had been standing there offering it up. With a flick of her wrist Devin flew back into the wreckage of the house his old house now just a ruin. Before he could get up she was there and slammed him with two fists literally driving him into the foundation of the house the concrete vaporizing into dust from the force of the impacts.

It hurt and he knew he couldn't take much of this kind of beating. He needed Time.

His intention had been to slow time for her and allow him to gather himself and make some sort of plan. But that's not what happened.

Only his quantum enhanced mind kept his sanity from unraveling as his manipulation of time revealed the thing he knew as Pandora.

She wasn't human

Of course he had known that but he had had no idea. Her form was not describable in any way she existed in multiple dimensions all at once her being was segmented and amorphousness she was matter and energy. She was quantum.

At that second he understood something no one else could have understood the fear they had of the one power in the universe they couldn't resist.

Devin twisted and forcing his broken arms up he grabbed The thing that was Pandora.”Bitch, let's go for a ride”

He Jaunted.

A Canadian Mountain Side

Once a pristine idyllic nature site now a war ravaged wasteland. It looked like years of warfare had been waged on the mountain but it had only been minutes.

At first it had been the Vanguard and Apollo alone, Apollo shrugging off all that the Vanguard could throw at him and the Vanguard taking all he could hand them back. Then Chimera had joined the battle, Sage had kept up his mental assault and even Charlie and Jeane dashed in and out taking what shots they could. Apollo was starting to show signs of the battle. His glow was diminished and his wounds didn't close as fast but still even with their numbers it looked like a war pf attrition and one he might win.

Savant was the only one hanging back her mind working fervently concocting and discarding idea after Idea, plan after plan. Sara stood to the side out of the way, apparently normal, watching the battle unfold.

Bruised and bloodied the Vanguard kept up their assault going along with Chimera. Apollo lashed back with Lances of Hard Light and explosions of fusion fury as wll as his own Titanic fists. To say that he wasn't shocked or surprised that the Irregulars hadn't fallen with the merest effort would be a lie. He had quipped and joked at first now he was silent, his face grim set and stony

A sudden blast of light and fire threw the heroes back leaving the black Titan standing cut bruised and bleeding chest heaving as he caught his breath. The heroes battered but not beaten picking themselves up all of them showing wounds all of them weary.

Able seeing that he was clear scooped up rubble and debris with his telekinetic powers and made an attack with the intent of burying Apollo under tons of debris as the makeshift missile flew beams of solid light burned and brushed most of it away. But it gave the girls time to regroup and as they prepared to reenter the fray a voice called out over the sounds of battle to be heard by all of them.

Off to the side out of the fight Sara floated some ten meters off the ground but it was a Sara none of them had ever seen before.

Her hair burned and flew like white fire, her skin was jet black and speckled with stars. She appeared to be naked or it was a skin suit so tight as to be skin for all intents and purposes. Quantum wreathed her hands like miniature galaxies swirling.

“Enough Apollo, She is gone now and she won't be back. End this now, surrender or I will end you.”

Glances were exchanged by the Irregulars none had expected this.

Apollo clenched his fist, try as he might he could sense Pandora no more. “This is a bluff there's no way he could have beat her.”

“Apollo, he didn't have to he merely needed to remove her and he has. Now you know that I am the result of your tampering. You created the very thing both of you feared and you know that I can destroy you. You were her slave, you did her bidding. Surrender and find your freedom.”

Apollo looked at the Irregulars arrayed before him each ready to fight and give their all and he shrugged. I guess I'm done. My heart wasn't in it anyways. I like you guys.”

"She's not someone we need to beat up, right? I said I was done before, but I *really* mean it now. Fresh out of juice for anything," Jeane called, plopping down on the ground, features smudged with ash, mud, and dust to mute the bright red-and-whites of her PAM suit. Her node, now that she knew what the lump in her head was called, gave a dull throb of warning behind her eyes, the kind she got after a long training session. One trick, maybe two, and she'd be double done...

The tall blonde damped down her powers to avoid the temptation. Not like 'her' Lilly had let her come to any harm during the actual fight. Ugh. Sudden sick nervousness roiled in her gut at the absence of her powers and the fading buffs from Vanguard. At how bad today had gotten. At how long it might before they unwound this Jaunt/Devin/Ronin witness protection mess. She ran a hand through her hair, grunting in disgust at the muck she came up with, a mundane problem, "God, I hope we have all the shampoo back at the base. Do you think we can borrow some from the mounties if we don't..?" 

"She's not someone we need to fight, Jeane," Sean assured the towering blond, placing a hand on her shoulder in passing as she began to approach the being floating before them. Sean's rich, melodious voice contrasted sharply with the devastated ruin of the valley. "Sara is my girlfriend. I think the danger is passed, Jeane, we won't need to hide at the base. We'll be reunited with our families and yes, be able to get cleaned up and any other necessities."

Sean's modesty was barely retained by the straps of her tactical harness and the shredded remains of her bodysuit, revealed tanned flesh reddened and blistered, yet her heart-wrenching beauty was undiminished. Incongruously, her multicoloured haired seemed untouched, flowing in glistening waves past her shoulders, a smudge of dirt on her cheeks highlighting the flawless perfection of her face.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:01 AM, AWS ST said:

Apollo looked at the Irregulars arrayed before him each ready to fight and give their all and he shrugged. I guess I'm done. My heart wasn't in it anyways. I like you guys.”

"You'll have to do better than that, Apollo," Sean told the fallen god firmly, but her eyes remained fixed on Sara. She was a blinding figure of pure, writhing Quantum energy - it was like looking into the sun, but Sean couldn't look away, wouldn't look away, though she could discern nothing more than the coruscating light despite her super-human perceptions. "We can't trust anything Pandora told us. You're going to have to tell us what her and her... siblings plans were for us, how events have been manipulated."

Sean felt more than saw Apollo power down, though physically he didn't appear any different beyond seeming relatively uninjured. The big black man shrugged again. "I can do that," he rumbled in apparent good cheer. "If you all are strong enough to hear it." He felt nearly every eye turn on him, many of them Vanguards', more than one set Chimera's, and smirked. "I guess you are."

<It would take more effort and resources to try and contain Apollo than it is worth,> Sean sent to Abel, knowing the concern he would feel. <And it seems Pandora was the true villain. With her... disposed off, he may actually be of aid to us now.>

Sean was a storm of conflicting emotions. The feeling of betrayal from Pryor and Devin hadn't lessened in the least, but she couldn't help but feel a sense of wonder at Devin's audacity and success in neutralizing Pandora. It was with bitter regret that Apollo was likely to escape justice for all that he had done, but there were more like Pandora arriving. And while Sean was disappointed that she hadn't had a hand in helping Sara, she was ecstatic that Sara seemed no longer in danger, if not in a manner Sean had expected or theorized.

As though the threat Apollo posed was no longer, entity composed of star-stuff and primordial energy was suddenly wreathed in crackling quantum lightning then flared with a brilliant flash so bright Sean had to close her eyes against the sight, and suddenly, it was Sara again. An almost mundane Sara with short, messy blond hair, dressed in jeans, a white t-shirt, and a leather jacket, her combat boots unlaced.

Sean glided closer, so close she had to look down to meet her eyes. From a being a pure quantum energy, Sara now seemed completely human, a seventeen or eighteen year old woman, just about to graduate high school rather than someone who may have just saved the world. She didn't have the uncanny symmetry most Keys possessed, her heart beat to a human rhythm, where her node should have been was a tiny, almost vestigial, lump of inert flesh like a benign tumor and was no longer drawing in any and all energy in proximity. It was not active on the quantum spectrum at all.

Sean's arms went around Sara's waist and drew her close, pressing her forehead against the shorter girl's for a long moment, then gave her a tender, lingering kiss on the lips.

"I was worried when I saw you and we started to fight Apollo," Sean whispered with heart-wrenching emotion she didn't bother to conceal. "I couldn't figure out how to save you and stop him and..." She inhaled deeply, drawing in the scent of her. "I hope you know what happened to you and can explain it because I can't right now."

Abel had watched everything unfold, surprised by Apollo's surrender, but then, it had seemed that his heart wasn't in this.  He wasn't as at ease with the god as Sean, but it was true that they simply didn't have the time or resources to restrain him, they'd have to trust him, at least for now, and he nodded once.   Sara's change back into a mundane young woman was startling, made moreso by the fact he couldn't tell what happened, or how, and from her words, neither could Sean.

Having a moment to actually notice Sean, he waited for the two women to part from their embrace before creating a jacket and handing it to Sean.  "Put this on, please."   his tone suggested a multitude of reasons for the request, which Sean quickly caught onto.   

Abel looked around, at the irregulars, Pete, and Apollo.  "it's time to go home.  We can talk there.   Pete, thanks for your help, if there's something we can do to repay you, let me know."

He pulled out his phone, and called up Gatekeeper.  "It's Over.  Yeah, we're all fine.  Bring Maria and Blitz, we're going back home for now."
Not a minute after he hung up and closed his phone, A portal opened, with Blitz and Maria leading the way, as James came behind them.  The portal closed, and the new trio took in the veritable army of Vanguards, and of Course Apollo.  "So um, Did we win?"

Abel moved to put a hand on his shoulder and smiled.  "We're all still alive, the bear's back to normal, and We're not fighting a God, so yeah, I'm gonna call this one a win for us."

James smiled and opened up a portal back to the base in Montana.  "Good, this was way too intense a situation.   I don't look forward to the conversation I'll have to have with my family after all this."

As Everyone went through, Abel was the last, aside Blitz and James "We're all going to have to have a conversation I think, maybe even a big one as a group."  With that he went through with Blitz, with James following, Only Pete remained,  and the Canadian wilderness.

Once back at Bulwark, assured that the families are safe but on another world currently the Irregulars both new and old, get cleaned up and debriefed first by McKeller then after General Pryor returns by him where he takes the time to apologize for the deception and hopes that all but especially Lilly can forgive him. He was acting under Orders

RONIN AND POTUS

He watched the entire proceeding from the window of the windows of the Oval Office. The president showered upon them with accolades and awarded them with some sort of presidential shoulder pat and false smiles and a few applause for the media hypes. Granted, the Irregulars deserved them all. Together they had saves the world, twice, and rescued the entire population of Africa from a giant mutant threat. They deserved a back slap and a toast, that was certain. 'Ronin' on the other hand, formerly Jaunt, was an ex-Irregular. He'd turned his back on the super hero business. He watched his ex-team mates and shook his head with a sneering grin.

After the proceedings the President had a lot of meetings with military personal and members of his cabinet to tackle the increasing issues with the awakening of Keys all over the world. He could hear them approaching the office, eleven people all on his heels talking and tapping on mobile screens and mumbling things under their breath. Ronin sat relaxed on the most important desk in all of the United States.

The door swung open and the President walked through the door with a hurried stride. “Good kids, but I want to all we know and want to know-,” he paused at the sight of Ronin sitting there relaxed and he froze.

The teenager was well groomed and in black cargo pants, a tee shirt, and a deep purple leather trench coat that looked like he robbed The Joker to get it. “Afternoon, Mr. President,” he said confidently.

The President spun on his heels, a bit stunned and new to his position he wasn't quite sure what the protocol was for strange teenagers being in his office. He looked to his staff and none of them were moving, frozen in the moment where they were following him through the door. They were, unfortunately all now rooted into that moment of time and blocking his escape.

“My name is Ronin, Mr. President. I'm an Irregular, and we need to talk.”

“Wh-what did you do!? You don't have clearance to be in here. Security!” He yelled for someone, but no one was coming.

“I've frozen time in an area roughly seven and a half miles, Mr. President. You and I are the only ones here, so, please, relax and listen. Had I wanted to hurt you, well, you'd be hurt. So let's be reasonable.”

“This country will not bow to any terrorism from you,” he searched for the right phrase but all the clumsily came out was: “Super people.”

“Which is precisely why I'm here,” Ronin moved from the desk, taking a few steps before teleporting around the room to investigate the various curios and American artifacts. “As I said, I'm an Irregular, I'm the one that went rogue, or at least they think I went rogue. You see, with the creation of Keys came a new era of chaos and intolerance for our entire world. There are terrorists out there who have awakened and they no longer play by the rules of physics. Someone, or something has been making a statement with their abilities, a person, a group, a faction... I don't know.”

“And you can prove this,” the President asked. He seemed a bit more relaxed now that Ronin had begun talking. The more he spoke the more the intruder seemed less and less of a threat to him. There was just something about him, something soothing.

“Not yet, that's where you come in.” Ronin faced the Leader of the Free World, and offered up another confident smile. “Look, the Irregulars think I've gone bat shit crazy evil, and they need to. I need to infiltrate and locate the source of whomever is working behind the scenes to destabilize the world. The only we can do that is if one of us is willing to work outside the rules. Every time we go kicking in doors they're just going to hide and we'll have to wait for them to come out of their hole and the process starts a new. That's no way to catch a criminal-”

He waggled a finger at Ronin, his gears turning now in sync with the young super teen. “You're talking going undercover.”

“Exactly.”

“But, why me? What does any of this have to do with me? Sell me, kid, or you're wasting my time. Why not just run all this past your command?”

Ronin clapped his hands together and smiled. Now came the pitch. Time to spin this like it was Shark Tank. “Because, Sir. We are Keys. We can read minds,” there was a pause and a look of worry from the Presidents face. “Well, not all of us. I can't for example, but some us can, like Sage, whom you just met. If my command knows, or the Irregulars know and we investigate as a team then whomever is out there scanning our thoughts knows our entire plan. Were I to go undercover I need as few people to know as possible to compartmentalize the data. Plus, I would need to do some pretty shady things, things that it would be wiser if you knew than all of the military, plus the Irregulars, and CNN. I'll need to say and do things that won't always paint the Irregulars in the prettiest colors. They need to think and feel that I'm legit, and even try to stop me or this will never work. When it's all over you'll be at the fore front of an elaborate U.S. Operation targeted and bringing down and eradicating a Key terrorist cell, or terrorist. Your approval will be the highest in history.”

The President stood for a long time, pondering his words, considering his proposal. He pulled out his over-sized leather chair and sat down at his desk, steepling his fingers. “What do you need from me?”

Ronin smiled and approached his desk and sat down, resting his foot on his knee. “Well, for starters...”

THE ASSASSINATION

General Pryor was burning the midnight oil in his office on base. Several things had changed in the last few months, most of all his list of duties when it came to watching out for and protecting the keys that were springing up all over American soil. To say his work was cut out for him was quite the understatement. A majority of the Keys from Shelly and the surrounding counties had been moved to a private academy on the base to keep them safe from those who didn't feel the emergence of keys was a beneficial thing for the human race.

Hate crimes, protests, riots those were just the start of the mess of problems the world was facing against emerged keys. Local law enforcement was stretched to it's limit trying to keep everyone safe while still protecting and serving their communities to the point that the military had to get involved all across America. In just a few months General Pryor's responsibilities had gone from six kids with special gifts to hundreds of children, nationwide, all needing asylum from the prejudice of mankind.

His hand slid across the paper as the pen scrawled out his signature for a series of orders that would keep the Midwest of the united states safe for another few weeks, he hoped. In all his years of doing this he'd never ceased to be impressed and equally disgusted by how intolerant his fellow human beings could be.

Evening, Devin,” he said, never looking up from his stack of papers. He noticed a pair of boots just suddenly fade into view along with black cargo pants in the chair just in front of his desk. While Devin was not the only QEH to have granted instantaneous methods of transportation, he was the only one on Earth with such a finally honed level of Mastery over his distance and destination. “And what fresh Hell have you decided to lay at my doorstep this evening? You know you've a lot to answer for, son.”

Dismissively Ronin, as he called himself now, tapped out a text with a smile and a chuckle, ignoring the General... in general. “Still don't get it, do you General? Still haven't gotten it through your head that I don't answer to anyone.”

You answer to the American people, he laws of this nation and rules and customs established by United Nations of the world, Devin.” He set his pen down and looked at the teenage boy. “What you have done, the people you've hurt. Devin, you need to stop this road you're walking down and let us help you.”

Help me?” Ronin laughed. It was full, honest and insulting. “Because you humans have been doing such a bang up job with that so far. Your laws are penned by a flawed species, it stands to reason that your laws are flawed as well.” He slid his phone in his pocket as he stood up. “Your governments are corrupt, your militaries oppress innocent people who have no power to protect themselves. People starve, children go uneducated because a military budget is more important than an education. For two thousand years you've spilled blood of your fellow man over an invisible, magical man who lives in the clouds.”

It was an old argument, sure, the problem was it was so accurate in its accusation that it was difficult to deny. “We're not perfect, Devin.”

No, no you're not. But, thankfully for you a new species has come along for you to ride the coat tails of their accomplishments, right? We do all the work, you humans reap all the benefits. It's amazing how you monopolize on everything and then find some way of imposing your laws over it. Who are you to impose anything on a superior species? America was founded on theft, greed, murder, oppression and racism... and you humans think you get to stand over us like some moral authority? No, General, you all nothing but a verminous plague.”

Devin, you're young, I know none of this makes a lot of sense to you now, but there is so much at work here that you don't understand-”

Don't understand?” Ronin looked at the General with genuine disgust in his expression. “You dare to tell me I don't understand? My brain processes at speeds faster than Savant can calculate pi. I notice everything, mt perceptions are so keen. I've counted the beads of sweat that have formed on your forehead since I've arrive. I can hear your elevated heart rate, I've read every micro-expression and know your lying to me. I know you're scared. And a man with nothing hide, has no fear...”

Of course I'm scared Devin, you're not yourself,” He knew Devin had noticed him hit the switch under his desk to alert security. Devin was never much of a brawler, he talked a lot, and his mouth was one of his greatest weapons. Armed guards would hopefully scare him off. Unlike General Pryor's daughter, Lilly, Devin wasn't bulletproof. “Let us help you.”

The corner of Ronin's mouth curled into a malicious grin. “Shouldn't have done that. You've just killed those men.”

He spun about with blinding speed and as the two men kicked the door open and raised their weapons he'd already connected his fist to the first soldier's chest, slamming him with the impact of a semi moving at sixty-five miles per hour. The force threw him backward, into his partner, and they both slammed into the concreted wall opposite the General's office. They both lie there still. So focused on the soldiers was he that when the gun shot rang out and tore through Ronin's shoulder he cursed himself for forgetting about the General.

Now focused the second gun shot didn't connect. Ronin blinked out to avoid it, and reappeared in a fraction of a second. He was now facing the General, having turned one eighty in the span of his short teleport. It was freaky watching him, it was like watching one of those ghost movies where they just skidded the ghost in and out of the frame, moving it's location each time. Blood dripped from his shoulder but his body had already staunched the bleeding and the General knew healing had already begun.

He rolled his injured shoulder. “Nice, General. Didn't know you had it in ya.”

Son, stand down. I missed on purpose. Lilly-,” he took a deep breath at the mention of his daughter. “She cares for you Devin, she holds out hope that you're okay, that this all some condition that we can cure. A sickness you contracted from channeling too much energy... let us help you. Let me take you to her, and we can all figure this mess out.”

The only key on the planet with any chance of subduing me? Nice try General.” He smiled evilly as he took a few steps toward him. There was grim satisfaction in his face as he read the General's micro expressions and watched the dismay that resulted from Ronin calling him on his botched attempt at another lie. Tactically he was always ten paces ahead.

Defensively the General kept the gun trained on him but it did little to stop the advance of Ronin. One blink and he was right in the General's face, one hand gripped tightly around his throat and his other on his wrist keeping the gun under control. “I can tolerate not seeing eye to eye, General,” he gasped and fired a few shots reflexively. Alarms had already begun sounding and an airman was already in the doorway, unarmed and screaming at Ronin to release him. “But, you tried to kill me. Not, cool, bro. You know what the cold, dark vacuum of space does to humans?”

An iris opened to Ronin's left and within it's frame was the empty, cold darkness of space. The airman rushed Ronin. He let go of the General's wrist and swatted the interloper aside effortlessly. Is gun hand free the General Pryor raised he weapon and set for another shot. He fired the weapon and a bullet tore through Ronin's leg, another tore into his side. He knew Devin couldn't blink out and still maintain his grip. He'd either need to take him and the gun with him, or let go.

Ronin grunted in pain, but didn't flinch as much as his victim had hoped. He punched the General in the gut, hard, and as the human's eyes swelled from the pain of the impact, he threw him into the warp gate, casting him off into space. Fear gripped the face of Lilly's father as he floated out of sight as the iris closed... and that was it. Somewhere in the cold blackness of space the corpse of Vanguard's father floated listlessly, with never the opportunity to say goodbye to his family.

Ronin clutched his side, grimacing. He looked to the spot where the portal was a moment ago. He shrugged. “Eh, no body, no crime.” He mused as more airmen entered the room.

Just for fun, he battled his way through most of them then simply vanished...

Tonight's top story... eleven airmen are hospitalized after an unknown assailant, a suspected Key, attacked Bulwark Air Force Base.  While details are as of yet unknown, we have do know that General William Pryor, according to witness testimony, was attacked and killed in the assault.  General Pryor, as you may know, is the father of world renowned key Lilly Pryor, who often goes by the name 'Vanguard'.  More as details come in, our hearts go out to General Pryor's family, he leaves behind a wife and daughter.

[[[[[OFF CAMERA]]]]]

The door opened with a hiss. General Pryor stepped out of the zero-g chamber Devin had re-purposed and painted to look like a convincing part of the comos, and looked around, there just beyond the technicians and engineers was Devin, talking with a pretty blonde girl about his age. He walked over, approaching the two of them in mid conversation. “Really, Devin? Did you have to hit me?”

Devin laughed. “Dude, you shot me three times! I don't wanna hear it. I thought we were using blanks.”

We were, then I remembered all those times you... spoke. In general, just, spoke. Since this'll be the only time I'll be allowed to legally shoot you, I decided to sell it.” He slapped Devin in his injured shoulder, like a frat boy bro would. The strange relationship between the two was a mix of awkward friendship and professional douchery. They actually respected the other, just, neither would admit it. Ever.

Dick move,” Devin said, rubbing his shoulder, then he smiled wide. “I love it. Good call, General. Oh, this is Tawni, she's a key and will be a part of our mission. I'm sure the president has briefed you so I'll fill in the blanks.”

Devin,” the General stopped him. His glare was stern and concerned. “I've been briefed, but I don't like lying to my daughter, or my wife. Faking my death... that's serious trauma you're inviting. Now, I'll serve my country and follow the orders I've received, but I need you to know...”

It wasn't my idea, General. Look, I know it's messed up, I do. I hate it just as much as you do. I care about Lilly, a lot, but this isn't about what we want. We have a world to save and this one of the only ways to do it. We can't prepare for what's coming if we don't handle what's already here in our house trying to kill us and innocent people. I know we've had our differences, but, we need you on this. I need you, General. You're the only one I trust to lead this.”

He took in a deep breath. He'd never seen Devin so serious, so focused. He wasn't looking at a smart aleck, loud mouthed kid anymore but a young man who'd taken the fight to save his world from an unknown threat to preserve a species that wasn't being particularly welcoming to his kind. He allowed himself an approving smile and extended his hand to the young man. With a strong grip he shook hands with Devin and gripped him on his shoulder (the uninjured one). “Let's get started, son.”

Sara reveals that Her apparent powerlessness was caused by Apollo's first attempt to create a mega creature. The reason he was doing that was because Pandora wanted to create a world that would have to rely upon the quantum enhanced to survive. Simple war with humanity would defeat the purpose so a horde of mega monsters was the path she chose. Apollo had learned the technique employed on another world and attempted to adapt it to terrestrial life. But the first test had wildly mixed results.

Sara was hit at the same time the whale was but her absorption power did what it was supposed to and siphoned of fully 90% of the quantum used by Apollo. That energy had nowhere to go so it internalized itself causing disruption in Sara's powers and a mutation of her MR Node. Her later encounter with the Key child Kyle resulted in even further Mutation and the Creation of an entirely separate Superego with powers far beyond anything she or any of them had seen or displayed.

The President Portals to Bulwark where he gives you the thanks of the nation and the world, and confirms that General Pryor was acting under presidential orders.

Apollo reveals that Pandora had been playing all of the irregulars all along. There are seven galaxies, her six brothers rule six of them and she the lone female ruled this one. He reveals that they are multidimensional being born at the moment of creation of the universe their one weakness is quantum teleportation as as it disrupts their multi dimensional existence possible fatally. She realized that the Irregulars were unlike any other Quantum entity they had seen yet and your existence awakened the desire to rule all of the seven galaxies. They are not human and as such they didn't think like normal beings. She believed Devin's crazy act and knew that with his mastery of time and space she could wield him like a weapon not only against her kin but to keep the rest of the Irregulars and Keys in line or use him to destroy those who wouldn't fall into line.

When Devin revealed that he had faked General Pryor's death to her she realized that Devin was not crazy or evil and thus was danger that had to be removed.

According to Sara, who when in her Superform has Cosmic awareness, Devin used his time and teleport powers to rip Pandora from this dimension and across multi space. The two are not dead but are locked in cross planer struggle at the quantum level that is both instantaneously occurring and infinitely long.

As for the brothers, we have multiple weapons to defeat them now. Keys that can teleport and warp, we can or will be able to adapt portal technology into weapons. Their threat is still real but not as great as it was.

This is the world you find yourselves in now, A wold that still needs heroes.

At this time I am making AWS an Open World. I want all of you to tell the stories you want to tell. I will moderate where needed and I will offer input if asked and may even write in your stories with new or old characters but for now I am tuning over the storytelling to all of you.

• Nina unpinned this topic

Archived