World of Darkness: The Chosen Chronicle

Dave ST

World of Darkness: The Chosen Chronicle

"Have I gone mad?"
I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.”

-Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I'm looking for 4 players, 5 if the backgrounds are really good.  The main focus for the players of the Chosen Chronicle is discovering their place in a world that doesn't seem to make sense anymore. Is this really all there is? Nine to five jobs with crappy benefits, bosses who are less than human, dead end career choices, cheating spouses/lovers, drug addled friends and neighbors, and no possible end or escape in sight? Can they rise above the shackles of their accursed, banal lives and find something... some meaning in all the madness? Or are they just mad?

You as the players are welcome to decide how you will fit into it all, but you're all dealing with personal drama in some way. Perhaps it's a toxic relationship, struggling with substance abuse, toxic family or friends, mental instability (depression, phobia), perhaps you're a complete pushover that everyone takes advantage of.  Maybe you are a perfect angel trying to live among a world filled with depravity.  Despite your flaws, your character must be capable of functioning in society and in the grand scheme, their personal problems will become very trite in comparison to where the story leads.

You will begin play as a mortal. An exceptional mortal, but mortal nonetheless. All sources, providing I have access to them will be used and throughout the chronicle your characters will come to meet Vampires, Werewolves, Wraiths and a whole slew of others. To begin with though, start with a mortal. It should be noted that your characters are not in the upper echelon of society, so you're not likely to have high resources, be corporate CEOs, or Nightclub owners. Also, you are not Kunf-Fu masters, Highlander melee masters, or John Wick... you're average people doing incredibly drab and boring things with your dead end lives.

Character Creation

Why do you go away? So that you can come back.
So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors.
And the people there see you differently, too.
Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
-Terry Pratchett

Step-by-step Process

• Step One: Character Concept
    Choose concept, Nature, and Demeanor.

• Step Two: Select Attributes
    Choose primary, secondary and tertiary categories of attributes. Start with one dot in each attribute. Divide 7 dots among primary attribute, 5 dots among secondary attributes, and 3 dots among tertiary attributes. Mortals generally start with 6/4/3, as I said, your characters are... exceptional.

• Step Three: Select Abilities
    Choose primary, secondary and tertiary categories of abilities. Unlike attributes you do not get an automatic dot in each ability. Divide 13 dots among primary abilities, 9 dots among secondary abilities, and 5 dots among tertiary abilities.
    Talents are innate aptitudes (the stuff you were born with).
    Skills are not innate. You had to train and practice to learn these skills.
    Knowledge is academic and intellectual lore you have learned.
    No ability can have more than three dots at this stage.

• Step Four: Select Advatages
    7 dots among virtues (you also get one free dot in each virtue, like attributes), 5 dots among backgrounds.

• Step Five: Finishing Touches
    Humanity is equal to Conscience + Self-Control. Willpower is equal to your Courage.
    Spend 15 bonus points.

• Step Six: Merits and Flaws
    You may select Merits and Flaws. You may have 7 points worth of Merits and 7 points worth of Flaws.

Bonus Point Costs
Attributes: 5 per dot
Abilities: 2 per dot
Ability Specialties: 1 per dot (max of 3 per ability)
Backgrounds: 1 per dot
Virtues: 2 per dot
Humanity: 1 per dot
Willpower: 1 per dot

If you need a sheet:

Spoiler

Name:
Nature:

Demeanor:
Concept:
Physical: Strength ●, Dexterity ●, Stamina ●
Social: Charisma ●, Manipulation ●, Appearance ●
Mental: Perception ●, Intelligence ●, Wits ●

Talents: Alertness, Athletics, Awareness, Brawl, Empathy, Expression, Intimidation, Leadership, Streetwise, Subterfuge
Skills: Animal Ken, Crafts, Drive, Etiquette, Firearms, Larceny, Melee, Performance, Stealth, Survival
Knowledges: Academics, Computer, Finanance, Investigation, Law, Medicine, Occult, Politics, Science, Technology

Backgrounds: Allies, Contacts, Influence, Resources

Virtues: Conscience ●, Self-Control ●, Courage ●
Humanity:
Willpower:

Background:

Image:

So far two people have come at me with the idea of using NWoD instead.  I'm not opposed to this, but the 'world' will still be OWoD in style and setting in terms of strangeness and beasties.

Also, I don't speak fluent Hodor, so if this idea is to be discussed I'll need more that just grunts and single syllable responses.  If I'm wasting my time, lemme know people.

ok new concept

over qualified barista

A poorly paid individual who politely endures the torture of rude posh customers every day they are at work. They are usually extremely interesting and intelligent people, yet are submitted to constant patronisation and unnecessary abuse by the individuals they serve.

Identifying a Barista:

They often show fabulous abilities in memory...
Customer: "can I have a large extra hot soya 2 shot latte, 3 small cappuccinos, a medium wet chai latte, and a tea with 2 tea bags...to take away?"
Barista: "No problem"

They are identifiable by their muscular arms built by carrying enormous trays of dishes and coffee beans across their store...
"Look at those arms on her!"
"Yeah, definitely a Barista"

When a Barista approaches, you will smell them before you see them, and can hence never be tired in their presence..
"Do you mind going on the sofa tonight? You smell of coffee so much that I can't sleep!"

They are faster than ninjas with their hands on that coffee machine...
Barista: "Your coffee is ready madam"
Customer: "Woah already? I hadn't even reached for my purse yet!"

They are polite, despite being continually tested by rude people...
Silly individual: "I want a filter coffee with no milk please"
Barista: "Sure, here you go - enjoy!"
Silly individual: "I WANTED MILK WITH IT, WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID?"
Barista: "Oh, I'm so sorry sir, here's your milk"

A Barista is always hard working, yet underestimated and under appreciated by many.
That girl is amazing, do you know much about her?
She's a Barista.

Name: Casey Mason
Nature: Defender

Demeanor: Stoic
Concept: Over Qualified Barista

Physical: Strength ●●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●
Social: Charisma ●●●, Manipulation ●●, Appearance ●●●
Mental: Perception ●●●, Intelligence ●●●, Wits ●●●●

Talents: Alertness●●, Athletics●●, Awareness●●, Brawl●, Empathy●, Expression●●, Intimidation, Leadership●●, Streetwise●, Subterfuge
Skills: Animal Ken, Crafts●●●, Drive, Etiquette●●, Firearms, Larceny, Melee, Performance, Stealth, Survival
Knowledges: Academics●●●, Computer●, Finanance●, Investigation●●, Law●●, Medicine, Occult, Politics, Science, Technology

Backgrounds: Allies, Contacts●●, Influence, Resources ●, Certification (Notery Public) ●●

MERITS:

Gall (2) (K:UH): You got moxy, kid. Add an extra die to any Social roll requiring backbone.

FLAWS:

Allergic (1) (vpg2, bos): you suffer from an allergy to some substance; a 1 pt. version inconveniences you and may increase difficulties in certain situations, the 3 pt. version means you have an incapacitating or even a potentially fatal reaction to the substance. Taking this as a 1 Point flaw to reflect that she is not allergic to a specific thing but rather has common sinus and food allergies which are controlled by prescription, missing her daily medicines can result in debilitating illness.

Soft-hearted (1) (most): You can't stand to witness suffering, and if you do, difficulties are at +2 for the next hour.

Virtues: Conscience ●●●, Self-Control ●●●, Courage ●●●●●
Humanity: 7
Willpower: 7

Background: Casey was girl who had it made. A law degree from Columbia, passed the bar on her first attempt, an internship at one of the most prestigious law firms in the city, all by the age of 25. She was a girl incredible prospects, then her mother was diagnosed with a virulent form a cancer and within three months she was gone. This had a terrible effect on Casey. She and her mother had been very close best friends close. Depression and acting out followed and in a night of somewhat drunken partying after hours at the law firm. One of the partners tried to take advantage of her state. When she realized what was going on she said No and a pretty intense scene unfolded. The next morning Casey found herself without a job, and basically blacklisted in the city. No other firms would hire her so she ended up back where she had worked while at collage. A small family owned Coffee house called The Full Pot. For the last year Casey has worked full time at the Full Pot the old couple who own it are falling on hard times and Casey is pretty much the only reason the place still turns enough of a profit to keep the lights on. Casey doesn't make a lot of money even though she works more than her fair share of the shifts always taking up the slack of the younger less caring kids who also work there. She loves to old couple like they were her own grand parents and recognizes that they are well beyond the time of retirement. That is one of the reasons why she stays there. She doesn't want her surrogate grandparents to lose their lively hood and she densest want to see this place that she loves close down. Trying to make a living in the legal field would require her to leave New York and she just can't bring herself to do that. So she stays, runs the coffee house and does notary on the side.

Image:  Kat-Dennings-in-Jeans--04.jpg

BP SPENT

2points on virtues

10 points on Attributes

1 point humanity

2 points willpower

Name: Mel Grimson
Nature: Survivor
Demeanor: Soldier
Concept: Bereaved Veteran

Background:

Mel Grimson was born to poor white parents, Matthew Grimson and Melicia Grimson in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago. Matthew Grimson was a local mob enforcer, anti-Semitic, a rabid Daley and Democratic supporter. He is quick and harsh with his hand and words; his maxim of fortitude and ruthlessness that Mel carries for the rest of his life is: "It's a damn hard world. Do whatever you gotta do to survive and smash the bastards."

Under his father's influence, Mel found himself smashing doors and shaking up the stingy while still a teen. In 1998, at 18, he was finally arrested as part of of a major Organized Crime Unit raid.

Already suspected on a number of charges, Mel would have found himself in prison, but for a dedicated lawyer who pointed to his abusive upbringing and persuaded the District Attorney's office and judge to a plea deal that would send him into the Army.

Surprisingly, Mel measured up to the tough regimen and was quickly scouted for the Rangers. He qualified and completed Ranger School in time for Kosovo, and over the next decade would lead the way as Rangers did in the War on Terror in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In 2008, Mel met a woman 10 years older than him, widowed TV executive Cecila Janet, at the wedding of one of his platoon-mates. She was brunette, tall, and told a snooty woman who mistook her for the staff: " You got two arms that aren't broken. Get your own damn food." And broke a egg on her head, saying "You wanted real eggs? You got em!" Love at first sight. They got married within a year. And Mel was happy.

Seriously, in-laws trying to stay over? "Please, if I can't drive that bitch out of here in less than a week, then I don't deserve to be your wife." The only thing they weren't ready for, was children - at least partly out of Mel's fear he was unsuited to be a good father.

Until years later, when Mel returned from another deployment to learn Cecilia had been killed in a home robbery. Wrecked by her loss, his determination slipped, and eventually the Rangers declared him RFS'ed. It was the end of his career in the Army.

Now, Mel is dealing with veteran's affairs madness and trying to find something to get his focus back and his life on track.

Physical: Strength ●●●, Dexterity ●●●● (Lightning Reflexes), Stamina ●●●
Social: Charisma ●●, Manipulation ●●, Appearance ●●
Mental: Perception ●●●, Intelligence ●●, Wits ●●●

Talents: Alertness ●●●, Athletics ●●●, Awareness, Brawl ●●●, Empathy ●, Expression, Intimidation ●●, Leadership, Streetwise, Subterfuge ●
Skills: Animal Ken, Crafts ●, Drive ●, Etiquette, Firearms ●●●, Larceny, Melee ●●●, Performance, Stealth ●●●, Survival ●
Knowledges: Academics ●, Computer, Expert Knowledge [Military Science] ●●, Finance, Investigation ●, Law, Medicine ●, Occult, Politics, Science, Technology

Backgrounds: Allies (Army Buddies) ●●, Contacts (Military) ●●, Influence, Resources ●●●

Virtues: Conscience ●●, Self-Control ●●●, Courage ●●●●●

Merits: Fighting Style: Firefight ●●, Iron Stamina ●●, Professional Training: US Army Ranger [Brawl, Firearms, Stealth] ●●●

Flaws:
Insensitive (1 point, HtR PG): You have problems understanding how to gauge others' emotional reactions. You can be rather blunt in handling delicate matters, and you often find yourself apologizing without really understanding what you've done to offend someone. Add two to the difficulty of any Empathy rolls you attempt.

Humanity: 5
Willpower: 7

FREEBIE POINTS
Willpower +2 – 2
Abilities +3 – 6
Merits +7 – 7

Flaws +1 (-1)

Name: Maya Flynn

Nature: Explorer

Demeanor: Sage

Concept: Frustrated Underachiever

Physical: Strength ●●, Dexterity ●●, Stamina ●●

Social: Charisma ●●●, Manipulation ●●●, Appearance ●●

Mental: Perception ●●●, Intelligence ●●●●, Wits ●●●

Talents: Alertness ●●, Athletics ●●, Awareness ●●, Brawl ●, Carousing ●, Empathy ●●, Expression ●●, Intimidation, Leadership, Streetwise ●, Subterfuge ●

Skills: Animal Ken ●●, Crafts, Drive ●, Etiquette ●●, Firearms, Game-Playing ●, Larceny, Melee, Performance ●●, Stealth ●, Storytelling ●, Survival

Knowledges: Academics ●●●, Computer ●●, Culture ●, Finance, Investigation ●, Law, Medicine, Occult ●, Politics ●, Science, Technology

Backgrounds: Allies ●, Contacts ●●, Influence, Resources ●●

Virtues: Conscience ●●●, Self-Control ●●●●, Courage ●●●

Humanity: ●●●●● ●●

Willpower: ●●●●● ●

Background:  

• Works at Yorkville Public Library, lives in a small furnished studio apartment on E 79th St., Upper East Side.
  • Can drive a car (and has a license), but who drives in NYC? Smart people ride bikes.
  • Studied Anthropology, had difficulty finding work after college and took temporary employment with the Yorkville branch of the NYPL at the request of a family friend.  She’s still there, beginning to despair of ever accomplishing anything meaningful with her life.
  • Saving up to travel overseas- she has a list of “must-see” places gleaned from magazines and friends who’ve actually gone. Had an opportunity to study abroad for a summer in college, but a family health scare caused her to miss out.
  • Owns precisely one cat. Just one. She blames him for a lack of dating prospects. He doesn’t seem to care.
  • Her social life is largely limited to reading aloud for the children during story hour on the second floor of the library, and helping her friend Mason create a weekly podcast about a lonely, fictional town in upstate NY.
  • Has one sister, Leticia, 2 years younger, married to a financial analyst. Is occasionally called upon to babysit her niece and nephew on “date night” because, honestly, what else does she have to do?
  • Sometimes screens her mother’s calls, despite concerns over her health, because she is tired of being compared to her more successful sibling.
  • Lists her ethnicity as “colonial.” (Her family is of Irish, English, Kashmiri, and Maori ancestry. It’s complicated.)
  • When in the neighborhood, stops by The Full Pot for an afternoon pick-me-up

Bonus Point Costs

Attributes: 5 per dot

Abilities: 2 per dot (x6)

Ability Specialties: 1 per dot (max of 3 per ability)

Backgrounds: 1 per dot

Virtues: 2 per dot

Humanity: 1 per dot

Willpower: 1 per dot (x3) 3

Nice work overall, guys.  I'l fine tooth comb them and get things started here soon.

Keep an open mind that what your character is now, or the vision you have for them can drastically change or not change at all.  I've a ot vague intentionally so I'm asking for some faith here.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, Nina said:

Gall (2) (K:UH): You got moxy, kid. Add an extra die to any Social roll requiring backbone.
Good Old Boy/Girl (2) (K:UH): You're just a nice person, and people recognize and appreciate that. +1 die on social rolls when interacting with your fellow folk.

Both of these merits are technically reserved for Kinfolk only, because they function in relation with other kinfolk or Garou.  I don't mind them being used, but they are used in relation to other mortals.  Basically just because they are Kinfolk merits doesn't mean they'll make her any more accepted by Kinfolk, should you guys come across any, or Garou for that matter.

On a side note, I've always liked the 'Gall' merit.

Curiosity (2) (most): Your incredible curiosity often overrides your common sense. Resisting temptation requires a successful Wits roll, difficulty depending on the situation. A very bad flaw to take with certain evil sadistic Storytellers.r your reaction to something or cause you to act socially inappropriate, add a +1 difficulty to social or whatever rolls.
Soft-hearted (1) (most): You can't stand to witness suffering, and if you do, difficulties are at +2 for the next hour.

'Curiosity' was a hard for me to 'get'.  There is nothing in her write up that shows that she is in anyway curious or poking her nose into things that are better left alone.  Even her Nature and Demeanor aren't related to curiosity.  Although this does seem like something the Librarian would have.  Especially with 'Explorer' as her Nature.

Soft-Hearted I like the idea of, it shows that she's a genuinely decent person, however in the World of Darkness this can be a very crippling flaw since you can'y walk down the street without seeing someone suffering.  Don't worry about it though, I'm going to go easy on you.  'Witnessing Suffering' will happen, but I'm not going to penalize you every time you cross a homeless guy on the street.

So, a Lawyer turned Barista has a 5 in Courage?  I'm having a hard time swallowing this.  I mean really, that means she can stand firm in an alleyway while Black Spiral Dancers are charging hee and she's armed with nothing but a pot lid and a steak knife and her only thought it 'bring it on'.  Where did she get this courage?  What trials and tribulations did she endure that hardened her nerves into a bastion of calm and cool under pressure.  I get that when people stand up for themselves against sexual assault and harassment people always say 'she was so brave'... but 5 dots worth of it is a bit excessive.  In fact, based on her write up and her merits/flaws you seem to describe a higher Conscience (soft-hearted, wants to care for her surrogate grand parents, preserve the business, hurt by the loss of her mother) than you do Courage (stood up to her colleague).

That make sense at all?

Mel

All the shit Mel's been through and he doesn't have a single flaw?  Seriously?  C'mon Jer... gimme something.

I'm still iffy on the 5 Courage but he is an Army Ranger who has seen battle and he did come out of it with low Conscience and a low Humanity, so he's paying for it.

23 hours ago, Vivi OOC said:

Background:  

• Works at Yorkville Public Library, lives in a small furnished studio apartment on E 79th St., Upper East Side.
  • Can drive a car (and has a license), but who drives in NYC? Smart people ride bikes.
  • Studied Anthropology, had difficulty finding work after college and took temporary employment with the Yorkville branch of the NYPL at the request of a family friend.  She’s still there, beginning to despair of ever accomplishing anything meaningful with her life.
  • Saving up to travel overseas- she has a list of “must-see” places gleaned from magazines and friends who’ve actually gone. Had an opportunity to study abroad for a summer in college, but a family health scare caused her to miss out.
  • Owns precisely one cat. Just one. She blames him for a lack of dating prospects. He doesn’t seem to care.
  • Her social life is largely limited to reading aloud for the children during story hour on the second floor of the library, and helping her friend Mason create a weekly podcast about a lonely, fictional town in upstate NY.
  • Has one sister, Leticia, 2 years younger, married to a financial analyst. Is occasionally called upon to babysit her niece and nephew on “date night” because, honestly, what else does she have to do?
  • Sometimes screens her mother’s calls, despite concerns over her health, because she is tired of being compared to her more successful sibling.
  • Lists her ethnicity as “colonial.” (Her family is of Irish, English, Kashmiri, and Maori ancestry. It’s complicated.)
  • When in the neighborhood, stops by The Full Pot for an afternoon pick-me-up

Same issue as with Mel, all the things that have brick walled her success in life and she doesn't possess a single flaw?  Throw me a bone here people.

Aside from that, flesh out a few of her stressors for me so I know what I'm working with.

Alright, that said, I'll work on getting this party started here soon, I've already started story boarding your first fics.  You will be starting separately, since the three of you don't actually know each other (maybe recognize each other by passing through the Full Pot, but that's about it).  Great work guys, thanks  for getting these up quickly for me.

8 hours ago, Dave ST said:
On 1/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, Nina said:

Good Old Boy/Girl (2) (K:UH): You're just a nice person, and people recognize and appreciate that. +1 die on social rolls when interacting with your fellow folk.

Both of these merits are technically reserved for Kinfolk only, because they function in relation with other kinfolk or Garou.  I don't mind them being used, but they are used in relation to other mortals.  Basically just because they are Kinfolk merits doesn't mean they'll make her any more accepted by Kinfolk, should you guys come across any, or Garou for that matter.

On a side note, I've always liked the 'Gall' merit.

was not aware of their origins

dropping good old boy/girl for point reasons.

Curiosity (2) (most): Your incredible curiosity often overrides your common sense. Resisting temptation requires a successful Wits roll, difficulty depending on the situation. A very bad flaw to take with certain evil sadistic Storytellers.r your reaction to something or cause you to act socially inappropriate, add a +1 difficulty to social or whatever rolls.

'Curiosity' was a hard for me to 'get'.  There is nothing in her write up that shows that she is in anyway curious or poking her nose into things that are better left alone.  Even her Nature and Demeanor aren't related to curiosity.  Although this does seem like something the Librarian would have.  Especially with 'Explorer' as her Nature.

Soft-Hearted I like the idea of, it shows that she's a genuinely decent person, however in the World of Darkness this can be a very crippling flaw since you can'y walk down the street without seeing someone suffering.  Don't worry about it though, I'm going to go easy on you.  'Witnessing Suffering' will happen, but I'm not going to penalize you every time you cross a homeless guy on the street.

Replacing curiosity wit Allergic (see my sheet above)

So, a Lawyer turned Barista has a 5 in Courage?  I'm having a hard time swallowing this.  I mean really, that means she can stand firm in an alleyway while Black Spiral Dancers are charging hee and she's armed with nothing but a pot lid and a steak knife and her only thought it 'bring it on'.  Where did she get this courage?  What trials and tribulations did she endure that hardened her nerves into a bastion of calm and cool under pressure.  I get that when people stand up for themselves against sexual assault and harassment people always say 'she was so brave'... but 5 dots worth of it is a bit excessive.  In fact, based on her write up and her merits/flaws you seem to describe a higher Conscience (soft-hearted, wants to care for her surrogate grand parents, preserve the business, hurt by the loss of her mother) than you do Courage (stood up to her colleague).

Going for the "hidden depths of courage" trope here. Just because nothing in her life has challenged her, yet, in a way that outstanding courage need be displayed, does not mean that she doesn't have incredible courage. Courage is often unknown until it is needed.

Since 5 is the max in a virtue . 2.5 would be the average. she is slightly above average in the other two and has depths of courage unseen as yet. if your still having trouble swallowing let me know and i will see what I can do.

Nope, that's fine.  I just try to relate the write up to what I'm seeing in the dots.

I'm okay with her abnormally brave, just keep in mind that no amount of dots in courage can save someone from being afraid.  It' been a popular misconception the high courage means lack of fear.

14 hours ago, Dave ST said:

Same issue as with Mel, all the things that have brick walled her success in life and she doesn't possess a single flaw?  Throw me a bone here people.

Aside from that, flesh out a few of her stressors for me so I know what I'm working with.

I've been looking at Merits and Flaws today, I'll find something that will work. I hadn't really intended on using them, since I couldn't think of any that I really liked for the character, but I can make it happen. Thanks for letting me know.

Archived