Savage Rifts: Here Comes Tomorrow

IXNtcVQ.png

The Premise:

The war is over, and the wrong side won.

Tolkeen, a bastion of magical theory and learning, where mystic practicioners, other-dimensional refugees, misfits and malcontents could live in peace, was forced into warfare with the human supremacist Coalition States, who had recently begun expanding after years of consolodating their gains and delving into Golden Age technological stores to upgrade their weapons and robots.

The people of Tolkeen knew what occupation would mean for an empire founded on the notion of the eradication of anything that didn't fit the Coalition's narrow definition of sentient life, so they used every means available to protect themselves, including long-forbidden magics involving blood sacrifice and pacts with ancient demons. They told themselves it would be worth it when the Coalition was driven back, that the metaphorical (and sometimes literal) genies could be put back in the bottle.

It wasn't enough. The Coalition was battered, but ultimately triumphant. Tolkeen was razed. The monsters it summoned now roam free; the people clinging to it for stability are scattered and being hunted by the Coalition. The cyber-knights have been shattered, with a significant number having joined the Tolkeen war effort and having lost their way; no one has seen or heard about their founder, or his closest associates, in many months.

Even more troubling, Lord Dunscon - self-proclaimed ruler of the Federation of Magic - has begun a campaign of consolidation of his own, seeking to unite the cities of the Federation of Magic under his own tyrannical rule, pointing out that if the only alternative is destruction by the expansionist Coalition States, his rule will at least allow free cities such as Dweomer and Stormspire to exist - even if it is the rule of a man whose chief criticism of Tolkeen was that it was too soft.

Some people joke that the second apocalypse is upon us. But it's a joke no one laughs at. Those outside the borders of the Federation and the Coalition wonder if they'll be next, and what, if anything, can be done about it. Those within said borders who don't toe the party line are wondering where they can go. Everything in North America is in flux, and no one knows what will come out the other side.

The Setting:

A sizable settlement called Prince's Landing, chiefly an argicultural and mining town. The primary crop is barley, and the local stout is noteworthy; the primary mining export is a vein of zinc which is often used in the maintenance of advanced technology. Limited robotics are used to mine, and the local hedge mage has helped ensure that harvests are reliable.

It's a relatively small town, and like most small towns in the world of Rifts, can't affort to be overtly picky about who stays there - many don't have the power to resist powerful forces such as pilots with their own power armor suits, or mages with a reasonable grasp of spellcraft, and as long as people are willing to work or have credits to spend, people tend to live and let live. There is reasonably close proximity to a ley line, but it's a weak ley line and it hasn't caused any trouble in living memory.

However, Prince's Landing is sandwiched in between the two Coalition states of Missouri and El Dorado, and to the east is the Federation of Magic. Furthermore, their two major trading partners - the city-states of Kingsdale and Whykin - are on opposite sides of "the Coalition issue," with Kingsdale a more tolerant city and with Whykin more fully embracing the Coalition ambassadors that come calling. The current mayor of Prince's Landing favors Kingsdale, but without any support from any other major powers, the Coalition could decide to wipe them both off the map with ease - and many people in Prince's Landing are in favor of taking Whykin's side, with hate crime incidents on the rise. The d-bees and freethinking scholars and radicals in the region are all waiting to hear a metaphorical pin fly out of a possibly literal grenade.

Your Characters:

I'm looking for four to six players who can post relatively often and work well enough together. This is a cooperative game, though you need not know each other at game start; you could have met in the war (as mercenaries employed by either side, or even on opposite sides.) The Tomorrow Legion is going to factor in at some point, though all anyone's heard at this point are rumors, if that. You've wound up in town and are trying to figure out what to do next - or a way to do what you want to do next, if only you could catch a break.

To create a character in the Savage Worlds version of Rifts, you'll probably need the Savage Worlds rules and the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide. Character creation starts on page 11 on the Player's Guide. You can select a template from the following choices:

Combat Cyborg: Heavy combat man-machine, greatly enhanced by cybernetics.
Crazy: Psionically enhanced supersoldier, mentally unstable but able to take great advantage of it.
Cyber-Knight: Part holy warrior, part psionic martial artist with an energy sword, and all kinds of trouble for enemies using tech weapons.
Glitter Boy: Owner of the ultimate powered armor and personal ranged weapon, though with drawbacks in terms of mobility and side effects.
Juicer: Born to die, a live-fast, fight-hard super soldier with the ability to burn her life force for truly heroic moments.
M.A.R.S.: The mercenaries, adventurers, rogues, and scholars of Rifts who have less raw power but more experience and variety.
Burster: Raw, awesome firepower. A super powerful pyrokinetic for a world gone mad.
Mind Melter: A true master of psionic power, employing unparalleled telepathic and telekinetic abilities.
Ley Line Walker: Master of magic, they can interface with ley lines effortlessly for nearly unlimited power.
Mystic: Combines faith-driven magic with psionic power, intertwining two Arcane Backgrounds with a spirituality others do not comprehend.
Techno-Wizard: The ultimate gadgeteer, combining arcane science with an innate talent for tools and machines.
Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling: A newborn dragon seeking its place in the world. Yes, a dragon.

In addition, the various races - humans, mutants, d-bees and aliens - are available. Custom races are potentially available upon request, and even if you're human, no one says you have to be a human born on this Earth - or from this time, since rifts that bend time are not unheard of.

There are two house rules I've added, one at character generation and one at character advancement. The latter is that that buying a new skill no longer consumes one entire advance; instead, it's treated like buying a single skill point in an existing skill, so you can buy a new skill and raise another. This is to encourage people to branch out into new skills should they realize they forgot to acquire a useful one or that there's a critical skill no one in the group's covered.

The at-character generation rule is this: at the start of the game, your character is down and out and not at their best, the circumstances of which I'll work out with individual players (though I'll take suggestions.) This is a temporary drawback and should be gone by the end of the first adventure. Examples include being a rookie cyber-knight who's unable to yet summon their psi-sword; a glitter boy whose bracing system for the boom gun is miscalibrated, rendering it unable to fire; a magic or psychic who encounters something bad every time they use their powers, a dragon that for some reason can't remember how one of their instintive abilities works, and so forth. I'll work with you to find one you want to roleplay through - the idea being that life has temporarily set you on the back foot, and the first adventure features you in part getting your footing back.

If you have questions or comments, let me know!

Unholy Mystic seeking redemption.  Not really good with these SW characters but this is what I have so far.

Mystic Dude, The Black Knight
Agility d4 | Smarts d4 | Spirit d8 | Strength d6 | Vigor d8
Skills:
Fighting d10
Intimidation d6
Mysticism d8
Notice d6
Psionics d6
Riding d4 (for his trusty dragon!)
Shooting d4
Charisma: –; Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 6(7)
Hindrances: Code of Honor, two Minor Enemies, Bound in Darkness (RP)
Edges: Alertness, Arcance Background (Miracles), Arcane Background (Pisonics), Brawny, Champion, Danger Sense, Master of Magic, Rapid Recharge (PPE), Sweep

Equipment: SFD Huntsman Lightweight Personal Armor (+5 Armor, +1 Toughness), Agabeddon, the Dark Blade (Long Sword (STR+d6)), Medium Shield (+1 Parry, +2 Armor to ranged shots that hit), the

15PPE
Armor, Bolt (Darkness), Detect Arcana (at will), Fear, Healing (locked)
10ISP
Succor

*Bound in Darkness - The Dark Knight took up evil at the behest of his superiors to grant them an edge in defending their lands and winning the war.  The atrocities he committed during that time haunt him and mar his soul.  His dark blade, Agabeddon is bound to him, never far from him and always thirsting for blood, as long as his soul remains blackened he can never put the sword down (meaning he will always use it over anything else in combat).  He battles the lure of the dark sword but with every passing battle he feels more and more of his sou slip away.  Against any being of Evil or Darkness (GM decides how that's defined), Agabeddon recognizes it's own and refuses to let slip from this word a like agent of evil.  The blade always inflicts the minimum possible damage to any Evil or Dark creature or person.  Also, any other assorted evils the GM wants to set up (nightmares, haunting visions, whatever).  Carrying Agabeddon should be like hefting the weight of The One Ring (spiritually).

Game Start - With his [kingdom, lands, lords, state, city block] in ruins The Dark Knight has set out on his own to find some means of shattering the curse he willingly placed upon himself.  Hindsight is 20/20, and somewhere within him is still a spark of light.  While he may never be forgiven for the acts he's committed, he can strive towards redemption...

Background:
Unholy Mystic Knight Dude was once a renowned warrior in the lands of Tolkeen.  When the walls Pratchettville were under siege, he was there to drive back the assaulting armies.  When the 5 Brigand Lords rallied their forces against Adams Shire, he was there to protect the people and drive off the invading hordes.  When the dorcs raided and pillaged the settlements at the base of the Riordan Mountains, it was he who led the charge to reclaim the stolen lands in the name of King and Country.

When Tolkeen went to war Unholy Mystic Knight Dude fought bravely on every front line he was sent to, win or loss, it was always Unholy Knight Dude that came back alive.  With so many near death escapes and an impressive body count languishing in his wake the Kings advisors, Weiss and Hickman bent the ear of King Sal Vitore' the III, informing him that if the war to be won, then drastic measure needed to be taken and Unholy Knight Dude was the perfect candidate.  They sent him to the Hallowed Pits in Lovecraft, an ancient and foreboding place locked deep between the Swamps of Sadness and the Bogs of Eternal Stench.  From this quest he returned with Agabeddon, the Sword of Sorrows, The Reaper of Regret, The Killer of Kindness, the Butcher of Beauty, The Liquidator of Love and the Slayer of Synonyms.

At the behest of his great king, Unholy Mystical Dude set out mastering the dark blade and it, in turn, began blackening his soul.  With every battle the blade savored the blood and life force of those U.K.D. put to death and he, in turn grew drunk on its power.  For all the good it did.  Tolkeen still lost.  Wankers.

Countryless, kingless, homeless and technically unemployed, Unholy Knight Dude was on the precipice of ending his life, quite literally, in fact, when Coalition Forces had the smarts to prod a dragon and spark a battle that would last far longer than he was planning staying on the planet anyway.  He didn't though... after the long, heated battle (that he didn't bother getting involved in) Unholy Knight Dude searched the battlefield, mostly for loose change, a nip of booze and something he could hawk for a bowl of ramen or something.  He came upon the CF numbers decimated, but their target didn't fare to well either.  The dragon was mortally wounded and her heart stopped beating only moments after he arrived.  The injured few of them that managed to survive were no match for the wrath of the blade when they decided to turn their efforts to exterminating Unholy Knight Dude.  Convinced that there wasn't even a quiet spot for him to kill himself in peace, he went on his way.  Not far from the battlefield he stumbled upon the dragons lair where there lay a single (really frickin' big) egg.  The lair was good enough for escaping the elements for the evening so he bedded down.  [Meeting with Kensie]

I used the Great Weapon fighter, reworked his atts to fit the Champion reqs then tacked on all the Edges they gave for Mystic since it was the closest one I could see that would resemble a potential Paladin character.  I think I got it all right.

Hehe, can't tell if serious. :)

Assuming you are, I don't see any Hero's Journey rolls, and it's hard for me to see how you're calculating your skill points, particularly the d10 in Fighting with a d4 in Agility. I do see that Mystics get some of those skills for free though, which must help...

I just used the template and it said I had +4 skill points left over.  If I need to rework it I can, the book is just so damn vague when it comes to making a character or a rule you missed is like 100 pages past where you'd expect to find it.  I may have missed something, I just used the skills they had listed and reworked the Atts for Champion.

Ah, I see. Well lets break it down a little...bearing in mind that Hero's Journey can modify stats and skills, so it's not a bad idea to roll for that stuff early.

All attributes start at d4 for free, so this is 2 points for Spirit, 1 for Strength, 2 for Vigor. All fine. Though you may want to go d6 Agility, d6 Vigor...or if you focus on melee, a d8 in Strength.

Skills:
Fighting d10
Intimidation d6
Mysticism d8
Notice d6
Psionics d6
Riding d4 (for his trusty dragon!)
Shooting d4

Skills cost 1 point per dice, or 2 points if they go higher than your attribute. You get 15 to start with. So in this case:

Fighting 1d10 = 7 points.
Intimidation = 1 point
Mysticism = Free from the framework.
Notice = 3 points
Psionics = Free
Riding = 1 point
Shooting = 1 point

That's 13 points, so you have 2 more to spend.

Finally Edges:

Alertness, Arcance Background (Miracles), Arcane Background (Pisonics), Brawny, Champion, Danger Sense, Master of Magic, Rapid Recharge (PPE), Sweep

You get one for being human, two more from Hindrances, and of course any from your Iconic Framework and possibly more from any of your Hero's Journey rolls.

AB Miracles, AB Psionics, Alertness, Master of Magic and Danger Sense come from being a Mystic.

That leaves Brawny, Champion, Rapid Recharge and Sweep.

You might be one over on Edges then, unless Rapid Recharge is included in Mystic and I just missed it.

Either way, make those 1d20 Hero's Journey rolls. :)

Character Name: Squidge
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: MARS Personal Concept
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: +4; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 7 (+10 armor) ; ISP: 30
Skills:
Psionics 1d12 (4)
Notice 1d10 (2)
Persuasion 1d8 (3)
Shooting 1d6 (2)
Fighting 1d4 (1)
Driving 1d4 (1)
Streetwise 1d8 (3)
Knowledge: Computers 1d10 (2)
Knowledge: Electronics 1d6 (2)

Hindrances
    Overconfident (Major): "Yep, I can do this."
    Delusional (Minor): "If I were in charge, I could get everyone to get along."
    Wanted (Minor): A fugitive from a Coalition State.

Edges
Human: Arcane Background (Psionics)
Hindrance: Major Psionic
Hindrance: Master Psionic
MARS: Rapid Recharge
MARS: Improved Rapid Recharge
F&J: Charismatic
F&J: I Know A Guy
10xp: Attractive
15xp: Extra Power: Mind Reading
20xp: Telemechanics

Powers:
    Slumber
    Greater Slumber

Mind Reading
    Mind Walk

Telepathy
    Exalted Telepathy

Illusion
    Deadly Illusion

Gear
300 cred
Lightning Rod (TW), 2d8 elec dmg, gives access to Armor power vs fire/lasers/electricity/plasma only
Wilk's 237 Laser Pistol; 2d6+1 laser dmg, AP4, rng 15/30/60, 16 rnds e-clip
Wilk's 447 Laser Rifle; 3d6 laser dmg, AP2, rng 40/80/160, 20 rnds long e-clip
Vibrosword; Str+1d10 MD, AP 4
Coalition Deadboy armor, +2 toughness +10 armor
-* +1 Pace
-* +3 armor

NG-S2 Survival Pack
    2 person tent, +20% water supplies
    Sleeping bag
    Flashlight w/knife; solar
    Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
    Short range (5 mile) radio
    First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
    Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
    Three ‘saw wires’
    Fire starter
    Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
    4 signal flares
    Climbing kit w/30 rope
    Soap and washcloth
    Canteen
    2 weeks rations

===
Iconic Framework (MARS - Personal Concept)
Roll 3 times on Fortune and Glory Table
Roll 3 times on Hero's Journey
Gain an additional Fortune and Glory Roll
Gain +5 skill points
Choose any two Edges, ignoring any prerequisites other than other Edges
Use any IF's starting gear (Crazy)

Fortune and Glory
A Mighty Weapon (Lightning Rod)
Strong Armor (Med CS deadboy +2 toughness, +7 armor, full environment; 2 mods from HJ Body Armor table)
Smart and Learned (+1d Smarts, 3 smarts skills at 1d6)
Charismatic (gain Charismatic and I Know A Guy)

Hero’s Journey
    Narrative Hook
    Roll result 14
    Description: Formerly associated with a Coalition State; fugitive now of course.

Psionics
    Roll result 6
    Gain +10 ISP

Psionics
    Roll result 17
    Description: Gain a powerful personal presence, giving +2 to Intimidate and Persuasion, and the Fear power if you possess it.

Psionics
    Roll result 11
    Description: Chose one power (Illusion). When your Psionics roll activating this power is successful, treat the success as if it was a raise.

Advances
Human: Arcane Background (Psionics)
Hindrance: Major Psionic
Hindrance: Master Psionic
MARS: Rapid Recharge
MARS: Improved Rapid Recharge
F&J: Charismatic
F&J: I Know A Guy
5 xp: +1d Smarts
10xp: Attractive
15xp: Extra Power: Mind Reading
20xp: Telemechanics

Background
Squidge was born in Chi-Town, a loyal citizen of the Coalition. Her psionic potential was spotted early on, and her parents dutifully registered her. This meant she had legal status, but it was the status of a secondhand citizen. Even her parents came under additional scrutiny, for having given birth to a potentially dangerous mutant.

By the time she was about finished with her vocational training, she was also about done with her situation. She was of a relatively gentle disposition, but there was only one way for a psychic to gain an easier life in the Coalition States...and that was to join the Psi-Battalion of the military. At first it wasn't even THAT bad. Sure she was still looked on with some fear and loathing by normal soldiers but that was nothing new, and here there were others like her. The psi-hounds were friendly and a joy to work with. Their psi-stalker handlers were...scarier. There were other psychic operatives as well, and here...alone of all places...she was encouraged to develop her abilities for the good of humankind.

It wasn't until later that she learned what that really meant.

Her telepathic abilities made her ideally suited for interrogations. However, in probing minds for secrets, she couldn't help but notice how many of these 'threats to humanity' were nothing of the sort. Their bodies sometimes looked different, but their minds were hauntingly similar. Most of them didn't want anything to do with the Coalition, or humanity, let alone to destroy them.

And then the war started.

The campaign and siege against Tolkeen showed Squidge just how bad war was. Not just because of the bloodshed and death and horror, but because of what it made otherwise good people do, and feel. It was a factory of monsters, and too many of them were just as human as she was. Squidge decided...she couldn't stop the war, but that didn't mean she had to fight in it.

-Adjusting backstory to work with Noir-

Once away from the Coalition, she adopted a nickname in place of her given name and looked for a good place to lay low until the Coalition forgot about her.

A little place called Prince's Landing.

One thing that might be tripping Dave up is that the character creation system for the Rifts version of Savage Worlds is contained in the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide, which uses templates (i.e. character classes.) The way it works is that you select a class/template, select a race, then distribute 5 points in stats and 15 in skills unless your template says differently. There are more details on page 11 of the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide, which you can snag here.

The closest to "champion with sword and pseudo-mystical powers" is the cyber-knight; there's also the Mystic, which covers the magic side of things even if it's a less melee-ish character.

Want to check this for me max see if I missed anything

Name: Kensie 

Iconic Framework:Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling
XP:

Agility d8| Smarts d6 | Spirit d4 | Strength d12+4 | Vigor d8

ISP: 20

Psionic Powers:

PPE: 10

Derived Stats (Base/Mod):
Pace 6 | Parry 7| Toughness 7/11 in Dragon Form | Charisma -2

Skills:

Fighting (Ag): d10
Notice (Sm): d6
Psionic ( ) - d6
Stealth (Ag): - d4
Tracking (Sm): - d6

HEROES JOURNEY

Psionic (roll = 4) More ISP means more power to work with, and your character has it. He gains +10 ISP to his base.

Training (roll = 4) Whether via formal training in a dedicated school, learning at the hands of a master, or just surviving a dangerous world, your hero’s picked up some serious fighting skills. He’s got the Martial Artist Edge (or Improved Martial Artist, if he already had the former), as well as the Brawler Edge.

Edges: Arcane Background (Psionics) - Psionicists have discovered how to tap into their own psychic powers. They can manipulate matter, create fire, or control their own bodies with but a thought.

Brainburn: When a psionic character rolls a 1 on his Psionics die (regardless of his Wild Die), he is automatically Shaken. On a critical failure, the psi lets out a psychic scream that causes him to be Shaken along with all allies in a Large Burst Template who fail a Spirit roll. This can cause a wound.(IF), Martial Artist - This character is highly trained in hand-to-hand fighting. He is never considered unarmed in combat and so is never subject to the Unarmed Defender rule (page 87). With a successful unarmed attack, he adds +d4 to his Strength roll (as if he were using a small weapon).(HJ). Brawler - Frequent fights with his bare hands have given this thug a powerful punch. When he hits a foe with a successful bare-handed Fighting roll, he adds +2 to his damage.(HJ),
Hindrances: Outsider - In a society made up of only a few types of people, your hero isn’t one of them. An Indian in a Western town, an alien in a sci-fi game of human marines, or a half-orc in a party of elves, dwarves, and humans are all examples of outsiders. Locals are likely to raise prices on the Outsider, ignore pleas for help, and generally treat him as if he’s of a lower class than the rest of their society. In addition to the roleplaying effects above, your hero’s Charisma suffers a –2 modifier among all but his own people. (IF)

ABILITIES

Arcane Background (Psionics): As a Minor Psionic, a Dragon Hatchling begins with three powers (from the Mind Melter list) and 10 ISP. He also has a beginning Psionic skill of d6.

Impervious to Fire: Fire and heat (including plasma weapons) do not affect a Flame Wind Dragon at all.

Infravision: Dragons halve the penalties for dark lighting against living targets (round down).

Inherently Magical: Hatchlings know no magic spells, but they have a natural pool of 10 PPE and can use any Techno- Wizard devices. A dragon who takes an Arcane Background adds his starting PPE to any gained from the Edge. Additionally, whenever he takes the Power Points Edge, he gains +10 PPE instead of +5.

Limited Metamorphosis: A dragon begins life able to adopt a single human or humanoid form for a limited amount of time each day. He can maintain this humanoid form for a number of hours equal to his Spirit die before needing at least six hours of rest. The dragon gains no special properties of what he mimics, only the size and appearance, but he retains all of his own abilities except those only usable in dragon form (marked with an *). Weapons and other personal effects (up to body armor) are assumed into the dragon’s form and reappear when returning to humanoid form. Any other objects are dropped. The process does not work in reverse, all gear carried by the dragon is dropped when transforming into humanoid form.

Mighty: Even Dragon Hatchlings are incredibly strong, beginning with a Strength of d12+4. They are also very resilient, starting with a d8 Vigor. Neither attribute has a maximum limit.

Nigh-Immortality: Unless killed through violence or other means, dragons can live anywhere from 6,000 to 12,000 years. They require only magical energy to sustain themselves, eating and drinking simply for pleasure. They are immune to normal poisons and diseases.

Slow Regeneration: These creatures can even regenerate lost limbs over time,making a natural healing roll once per day.

Only usable in Dragon Form

Armored Hide*: The Hatchling has +16 M.D.C. Armor and +6 Toughness in dragon form.

Claws/Bite*: Dragons can naturally attack with massive teeth and talons (Str+3d6 AP 4, Mega Damage).

Fear*: In her natural form, a Dragon Hatchling is a terrifying creature to most folks, who must make a Fear check when first seeing him.

Fire Breath*: Flame Wind Hatchlings can fire a bolt of flame at Range 12/24/48 and Damage 4d6 (Mega Damage), using their Shooting skill. Alternately, they can do 2d10, Mega Damage in a Cone Template starting from their mouths. Every target within the cone makes an Agility roll −2 to avoid the attack. Those who fail suffer 2d10 damage.

Flight*: The Hatchling has a F lying Pace of 12" and Climb 0. Flight is usable in another form if it has wings.

Size +6*: In their natural forms, Dragon Hatchlings are usually 15 –20 feet from snout to tail-tip, and weigh up to 7 tons. This means, when not using their Metamorphosis abilities, Hatchlings gain +6 Toughness.

Tail Lash*: The dragon can sweep all opponents in his rear facing in a 2" long by 4" wide rectangle. This is a Fighting attack which ignores size penalties, doing Str+d8 (Mega Damage).

COMPLICATIONS

Cybernetics: Dragons cannot take cybernetics at any point. Their bodies reject such foreign implants.

Enemies: Dragons are illegal and reviled by the Coalition. Any known dragon is immediately hunted with extreme prejudice.

Form Limits: I f a d ragon t ransforms into a humanoid race with a restriction based on its body type (such as Non- Standard Physiology, see page 51), it suffers the same penalties as that race. The GM m akes t he fi nal c all o n what counts as a body type restriction. In their natural form, dragons cannot wear any armor and can only use vehicular weapons specially adapted for their use at four times the normal cost. Most other gear can only be used in humanoid form (again, GM’s call).

Hatched: Dragons are born not made. They do not choose a race.

Large: When not shape shifted into a humanoid form, dragons make for very big targets. Normal-sized opponents gain +2 on all attacks against them.

Outsider : Dragon Hatchlings understand so little of the world, they inevitably cause socially awkward situations wherever they go, even in humanoid form. All Dragon Hatchlings have the Outsider Hindrance.

Territorial: Dragons tend to dislike their own, and other dragons generally treat a newcomer as invading their territory unless great care is taken in interactions.

Untested: Being so young and without any life experiences, Dragon Hatchlings have not had time to develop moral codes, physical limitations, or foibles. When creating a Dragon Hatchling character, the player selects no Hindrances to start (and, thus, doesn’t get the extra points to spend on character creation). Instead, he selects one Hindrance at the end of the first session. He may then select another Hindrance at the end of the second session, and a last one at the end of the third session. Only when all Hindrances are selected (one Major and two Minor, per normal rules), may the player spend the points on his character, working out what is appropriate with the Game Master. This represents imprinting and a “growth spurt” for the Dragon Hatchling.

Very Young: Very Young: Dragon Hatchlings start out very young. They begin with only 3 points to adjust their attributes and only 10 skill points. Unlike the Young Hindrance (which they cannot take), this complication does not grant an extra Benny each session.

POINT LOG

Attributes:  Agility 2 points d4 to d8, Smarts 1 point d4 to d6

Skills: Fighting 5, Notice 2, Stealth 1, Tracking 2

Weapon:

Armor:

Hindrance Points

Advances:

BACKSTORY - HOOK - rolled a 1 The Siege of Tolkeen. One of the most tragic and destructive events of recent times, the invasion and subsequent destruction of the magical state of Tolkeen by
Coalition forces in 109 PA reverberates throughout North America and the world. Your character may have fought in that war, perhaps as a part of either side’s military forces, or as a mercenary hired by one faction or another. She may have been caught in the crossfire, trying to survive and help as many folks as possible.
Many refugees from that war are now in or around Castle Refuge.

Since she is only a few weeks old my thought is her egg was hidden in this location and since dragons are inherently psionic the psychic emanations of the battle probably left some imprint. To give a connection one of the PC's (dave's most likely since he has this incredible desire to ride a dragon) could have fought there as well and found her egg. They could have knowing or not knowing what it was took it as loot or what have you and got a big surprise when it eventually hatched a few weeks ago.

bender_by_know_kname.jpg

Name: BB Rodriguez

Iconic Framework: Combat Cyborg
XP: 0

ATTRIBUTES
Agility
d10 |  Smarts d6 | Spirit d6 | Strength d12+2 | Vigor d12

Derived Stats (Base/Mod):
Pace 8" | Parry 7 | Toughness 16 (8 Natural + 8 Mega Armor) | Charisma -2
Strain 0/6

SKILLS:
Fighting (Ag) d10
Gambling (Sm) d6
Intimidation (Sp) d6
Notice (Sm) d6
Repair (Sm) d6
Shooting (Ag) d10
Streetwise (Sm) d6
Taunt (Sm) d6

HERO'S JOURNEY
Training (1): After serving in a military, paramilitary, militia, or security force for some time, your hero has some solid combat training. She gains +5 Skill Points, which may be spent on Fighting, Shooting, or Throwing in any combination.
Training (15): Constant battle, for cause or survival, means your hero knows a great deal about combat. Select one Combat Edge; you may ignore all requirements except where an Edge has a specific predecessor: Combat Sense.
Experience & Wisdom (2): Your hero knows how to make the most of second chances. He has Elan.

EDGES:
Combat Sense: The champion has the perception, skill, and agility to handle multiple foes. Opponents halve any Gang Up bonuses against him (round down).
Dodge: Some crafty types know how to get out of harm’s way. This Edge allows them to use cover, movement, and concealment to make them harder to hit. Unless they are the victim of a surprise attack and taken completely unaware, attackers must subtract 1 from their Shooting or Throwing rolls when targeting them. Characters who attempt to evade area effect attacks may add +1 to their Agility roll as well (when allowed).
Elan: When this spirited hero puts his heart into something it tends to pay off in big ways. When you spend a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls), add +2 to the final total.
Fleet-Footed: The hero’s Pace is increased by +2 and he rolls a d10 instead of a d6 when running.
Quick Draw: This Edge allows a hero to draw a weapon as a free action (and thus ignore the usual –2 multi-action penalty if he chooses to fire as well). If the character must make an Agility roll to draw a weapon, he adds +2 to the roll.
Upgradeable: This hero can handle a lot more cybernetic invasion in his body than most. He increases his Maximum Strain by +6. Note Combat Cyborgs and Cybernetic Techno-Warriors already have this Edge.

HINDRANCES:
Enemy (Minor): You'd think more people want BB dead, but someone really wants him dead - not that BB knows who, why or that they're after his head... yet.
Quirk: BB consumes vast amounts of alcohol and cigars, however due to his near-completely modified body, they don't have the same consequences normally expected. It does make it easy to ask around about him, and people can get pissed off when you've sucked down all the beer.

ABILITIES:
Bionic Augmentation: Combat Cyborgs begin with Strength d12+2, Agility d10, and Vigor d12. These traits do not have an attribute maximum.
Cybernetic Enhancements: All combat cyborgs begin with the following cybernetic systems: Audio Package, Bionic Strength Augmentation, Core Electronics Package, Cyber-Wired Reflexes, Optics Package, Synthetic Organ Replacement.
High-Performance Legs: Full-conversion ‘borgs possess powerful legs and actuators; they begin with the Fleet-Footed Edge. This can be enhanced with additional cybernetics.
M.D.C. Armor: A Combat Cyborg alloy structure provides +8 M.D.C. Armor. This cannot be combined with body armor.
More Machine: ‘Borgs add +2 to recover from Shaken, ignore one level of wound modifiers, possess a self-contained breathing apparatus, and are immune to poison and disease.
Unarmed Combat: Metal frame construction allows the Combat Cyborg to deal Str+d6 (Mega Damage) in unarmed combat. Cyborgs are always considered armed.

COMPLICATIONS:
All Those Moving Parts: ‘Borgs cannot be healed or treated with medicine when they are hurt. Instead they must be repaired. Fixing a cyborg requires the Repair skill—which is used like the Healing skill, only with no Golden Hour.
Gray Matter: Combat Cyborgs only start with two points (instead of the normal five) for attributes and these may only be spent on Smarts and Spirit. Points from Hindrances and Advances may be used to raise any attribute.
Inhuman Appearance: Combat Cyborgs suffer −2 Charisma when dealing with most beings.
Loss of Dexterity: While a Combat Cyborg’s systems and parts are specifically designed for combat excellence, little attention is given to anything else one might want to use his hands for. The lack of real feeling or delicacy of construction in the hands (the exception being specific sensors installed to interact with weapon triggers), as well as the “run through the battlefield” focus of the legs and feet, means the ‘borg suffers −2 to all Agility rolls and linked skills not directly related to combat.
Malfunctions: Cyborgs are subject to the same potential problems all tech items and gear face (see the Technical Difficulties Setting Rule). For example, a critical failure on a Strength check means penalties until the ‘borg’s strength systems are repaired.
Spiritually Numb: All that metal and so little meat means no Arcane Backgrounds are available to a Combat Cyborg.
Total Conversion: The process of becoming a Combat Cyborg uses all of a character’s personal Strain. A Combat Cyborg starts with 0 Strain before applying the Upgradeable Edge.

CYBERNETICS:
Audio Package: Ear canal replacements, embedded speakers and microphones, and a number of other enhancements give the cyborg an array of listening and projection options — +2 to hearing-based Notice checks; hyper-sonic and sub-sonic ranges to his hearing; a loudspeaker capable of projecting audio over a 100-yard radius; automatic sound dampeners that give a +2 to resist any audio-based attacks or deafening effects. Finally, the audio package allows sounds and conversations to be recorded and played back later.
Bionic Strength Augmentation: These are already factored into the Cyborg’s starting Traits.
Core Electronics Package: This set of electronic and data systems grants the following—a mini-computer; a computer interface jack for direct linking to other systems, which grants a +4 to appropriate Repair checks and Common Knowledge rolls; a radio with a 20-mile range.
Cyber-Wired Reflexes: These are already factored into the Cyborg’s starting Traits.
Optics Package: One or both of the cyborg’s eyes are replaced, granting the following: +2 all sight-based Notice checks; thermal imaging and night vision (ignore illumination penalties); 50× magnification for distance; 20× macro lens for up-close detail; glare filters that give a +2 on checks to avoid blinding flashes and related light burst effects. Finally, the Optics Package provides the ability to record still or moving images and store them for later viewing or display. Switching modes is a free action.
Synthetic Organ Replacement: These are already factored into the Cyborg’s starting Traits.

GEAR:
NG-56 Light Ion Pistol [Range 10/20/40, Damage 1–3d6, RoF 1, AP —, Shots 12, +2 to Shooting]
Mini Rail Gun [Range 75/150/300, Mega Damage 2d8+4, RoF 4, AP 6, Shots 25, No Snapfire penalty.]
Vibro-Sword [Mega Damage Str+1d10, AP 4]
10,500 credits

BACKSTORY
Narrative Hook: Amnesia

BB Rodriguez didn't remember anything beyond his name when he woke up to discover he'd been turned into a cyborg. The ranting of the mad scientist who'd achieved this, the whys and reasons, it was all noise to BB (though the one-eyed mutant chick was worth a second look) - who forced his metal ass out of there. While wondering who he was, BB wandered rather aimlessly along the ways of North America - getting into many many fights and realizing he had some rather ingrained military training and skill on hand.

Until his luck almost ran out when he tried to take a short cut through a stretch of ruined Tolkeen and found himself beaten into unconsciousness by a maddened Daemonix. Once again, he woke up, this time on a truck, courtesy of Firanis, whom had picked his body up and had the kindness to not finish him off when she realized he was still clinging to life, not dead as she'd thought - and fix him up for good measure.

BB was grateful enough to stick around as muscle for her - she too didn't have good relations with the CS and had people after her, so they kept going south, and the Red Rambler brought them to Prince's Landing...

Alright, I think I'm done.

Spoiler

'Adam' The Black Knight
Skills:
Fighting d10
Intimidation d6
Mysticism d8
Notice d6
Persuasion d6
Psionics d6
Riding d4
Shooting d4
Charisma: –; Pace: 6; Parry: 7 (8); Toughness: 6(7)
Hindrances: Code of Honor, two Minor Enemies
Edges: Arcance Background (Miracles), Arcane Background (Pisonics), Brawny, Champion, Common Bond, Improved Rapid Recharge, Killer Instinct, Sweep

Equipment: SFD Huntsman Lightweight Personal Armor (+5 Armor, +1 Toughness), Long Sword (STR+d6), Medium Shield (+1 Parry, +2 Armor to ranged shots that hit)

Mystic Powers: 20PPE / 10ISP
Spells: Armor, Bolt (darkness), Fear, Healing (locked)
Psionics: Succor

Hero's Journey
Enchanted Items & Mystic Gadgets
1 Made of a metal unknown to most of the world, your character’s elegant sword is a powerful weapon and tool for magic work. The blade has 10 PPE (which regenerate at the same rate as the caster), grants a +1 to all spellcasting rolls for AB: Magic and AB: Miracles, and contains two spells (powers) of your choice, which can come from any list. Finally, it’s a combat worthy sword (Str+d6) that even does Mega Damage if 2 PPE is channeled through it that round. (Powers left up to the ST)

Experience & Wisdom
6 Some folks come to understand that lone wolves don’t make it in a world as dangerous as this one. Your hero has Common Bond.

Magic & Mysticism
4-7 More PPE means more power to work with, and your character has it. He gains +5 PPE to his base.
11-13 Often, one crisis is quickly followed by another, and your caster needs to get his energy back quickly. He has the Rapid Recharge Edge, or Improved Rapid Recharge if he already has the former.

Training
15-16 Constant battle, for cause or survival, means your hero knows a great deal about combat. Select one Combat Edge; you may ignore all requirements except other Edges (to take Improved Frenzy; your character must have Frenzy first). Combat Edge: Killer Instinct.

Character Name: Phere
Experience: 20 
Advances Left: 0
Race: Psi-Stalker
Concept: Former CS Psi-Stalker
Iconic Framework: MARS Merc Solider

Attributes
Agility d10
Smarts d10
Spirit d6
Strength d6
Vigor d8

Charisma: -2 with all but other psi-stalkers (Psi-Stalker), –4 if her cruel habits are known (Bloodthirsty), −4 Charisma with Simvan (Psi-Stalker)
Pace: 8 (d8 running die)
Parry: 7 (8 with Vibro-Blade Vambraces)
Toughness:
   -Armored: 9 (+10 Armor)

Skills
Climbing (St) d6 (2) 
Driving (Ag) d4 (1)
Fighting (Ag) d10 (4)
Healing (Sm) d8 (1)
Intimidation (Sp) d6 (2)
Notice (Sm) d10 (2) 
Riding (Ag) d6 (0)
Shooting (Ag) d10 (4)
Stealth (Ag) d10 (4)
Streetwise (Sm) d6 (2)
Survival (Sm) d10 (2)
Swimming (Ag) d4 (1) 
Tracking (Sm) d10 (2)

Hindrances
Bloodthirsty (Major): Natural instinct for a wild psi-stalker that she still has difficulty controlling.
Loyal (Minor): As a second class citizen, true friends are rare and valuable.
Wanted (Minor): A fugitive from a Coalition State.

Edges
(Psi-Stalker) Ambidexterity: No off-hand penalty
(MARS) Killer Instinct: Wins ties on opposed rolls of any sort. If her skill die on an opposed skill roll is a 1, she can reroll it (but must keep the second result).
(MARS) Elan: +2 when spending a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls).
(F&G) Brawny: +1 Toughness. Load limit is 8 x Str in lbs (as opposed to the usual 5 x Str in lbs).
(HJ) Healer: +2 to all Healing rolls (including natural healing rolls for her own wounds), whether natural or magical in nature. She can give a +2 bonus to natural healing rolls to a maximum of five companions as well.
(HJ) Assassin: +2 to any damage roll where she strike a foe unawares (even with ranged attacks).
(Advance) Two-Fisted: When attacking with a weapon in each hand, she rolls each attack separately but ignores the multi-action penalty.
(Advance) Danger Sense: She can sense when something bad is about to happen. Anytime she’s about to be the victim of a surprise attack, ambush, or other nasty surprise, she gets a Notice roll at –2 just before the attack or event occurs. If successful, she knows something is about to happen and may take appropriate action against it. This means she is on Hold for the first round of a combat. Should she fail his roll, she still follows the normal Surprise rules, if applicable (see page 73).

Psi-Stalker Racial Traits
Ambidexterity: Psi- Stalkers have the Ambidextrous Edge.
Animal Empathy: Psi-Stalkers have an inherent empathy with animals. They start with Riding d6 and animals treat them as one of their own. This effect can be problematic if the animal in question is a territorial loner.
Fast: Psi-Stalkers have Pace +2 and increase their Running die by one die type (usually Pace 8 and d8 run die).
Outsider: Psi-Stalkers are creepy and off-putting, and make those with magic or psionic abilities especially nervous (for obvious reasons). They are barely more than a slave class in the Coalition and despised in the Federation of Magic. They suffer −2 Charisma with everyone except others of their kind.
Psychic Sense: Psi-Stalkers have the inherent ability to detect arcana, usable at will. They use the Notice skill to detect the presence and location of any psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. They can also use the Tracking skill to track a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn’t work inside sealed armor or vehicles. Cybernetic implants also cause problems; every point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty when the Psi-Stalker uses his Psychic Sense (the Cyber-Psychic Alignment Edge can negate this penalty). See sidebar on the next page.
Psychic Vampire: Psi- Stalkers require a diet of PPE or ISP drained from living beings. They gain this using the Draining PPE/ ISP rules (page 121), which only works by touch. The Psi-Stalker must cut and draw blood from her intended victim or donor (which must be super naturally, magically, or psionically active to provide sustenance). Psi-Stalkers must consume at least 5 Power Points (PPE or ISP) a day or suffer Fatigue. They starve to death after a week of being Incapacitated by lack of “food.” Each 5 PPE/ISP drained restores one level of Fatigue. Consumed Power Points cannot be used to fuel spells or psionic powers.
Racial Enemy: Many Psi-Stalker and Simvan tribes have been at war for years. Meetings between the species start argumentative and get worse. Psi-Stalkers suffer −4 Charisma with Simvan.
Restricted Paths: Working arcane magic is impossible for Psi-Stalkers. They cannot take any Arcane Background using PPE, nor any Iconic Framework that includes it.

Gear
8,000 creds

Vibro-Blade Vambraces 
Damage: Str+d8,
Weight 8
Cost: 11,000 cr
Notes: AP 4, Mega Damage, Parry +1. Requires Agility d8, worn as a pair.

L-20 Pulse Rifle
Range: 25/50/100
Damage: 3d6+1
ROF 4
AP 2
Payload 40
Weight 7
Cost: 25,000 cr
Notes: Semi-Auto, 3RB

"New Style" Coalition Deadboy Armor
+2 toughness +10 armor
-* The helmet of his armor has exceptional embedded targeting enhancements, granting your hero +2 on all ranged attacks.
-* Extra high-density plating and other design factors grant +3 Armor to your hero’s starting armor

NG-S2 Survival Pack
    2 person tent, +20% water supplies
    Sleeping bag
    Flashlight w/knife; solar
    Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
    Short range (5 mile) radio
    First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
    Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
    Three ‘saw wires’
    Fire starter
    Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
    4 signal flares
    Climbing kit w/30 rope
    Soap and washcloth
    Canteen
    2 weeks rations

===
Iconic Framework (MARS - Merc Solider)
Roll 3 times on Fortune and Glory Table
Roll 3 times on Hero's Journey
Gain +5 skill points
Select any two weapons of choice from Close Combat and/or Ranged Weapons—Personal. If one of the choices is grenades, take an assortment of eight of any type.
Begin with any one Body Armor, an NG-S2 Survival Pack and 3d6 × 1,000 credits

Fortune & Glory
2 = Strong Armor: New Style CS Deadboy +2 toughness, +7 armor, full environment; +2 mods from HJ Body Armor table
5 = Smart and Learned: (+1d Smarts, 3 Smarts skills at 1d6)
7 = Strong and Powerful: Your hero adds one die type to Strength and begins with the Brawny Edge.

Hero’s Journey
Education
3 – 4 = Your character is a talented medic and a huge boon for any group she runs with. She has the Healer Edge and the Healing skill at d6.

Training
1– 3 = After serving in a military, paramilitary, militia, or security force for some time, your hero has some solid combat training. She gains +5 Skill Points, which may be spent on Fighting, Shooting, or Throwing in any combination.

Underworld & Black Ops
18 = There are many killers in the world, but your character is a wetwork expert with a particular set of skills. She gains the Assassin Edge. She also gains +2 for Fighting, Shooting, and Throwing rolls, but only to offset Called Shot penalties.

Skill Points
15 (Base)
+ 5 (MARS Merc Solider)
+ 5 for any combination of Fighting, Shooting and Throwing (HJ)
+ d6 Healing (HJ)
+ d6 in any three Smarts skills [Notice, Survival, Tracking] (F&G)
+ d6 Riding (Psi-stalker)
+ 1d in two skills below their Attribute [Climbing, Intimidation] (Advance) 

Advances
(Psi-Stalker) Ambidexterity
(Major Hindrance) +1d Agility
(Minor Hindrance x2) +1d Smarts
(MARS) Killer Instinct
(MARS) Elan
(F&G) Healer
(F&G) Assassin
(5 xp) +1d to Vigor
(10xp) +1d to 2 skills below Att [Climbing, Intimidation]
(15xp) Danger Sense
(20xp) Two-Fisted

Background
Phere was a 'wild' psi-stalker, orphaned as a child, but that did not stop her from surviving. A CS patrol came across the resourceful (and rather tenacious) pre-teen, and deemed her young enough that she could still be 'civilized' and be of use to the CS. They captured her and took her in to begin her education. She resented the CS for taking her from her home, but she was no fool and being ever the survivor, she quickly realized playing along with the CS was her best bet.

Her natural talents for survival and killing were deemed to be of more military value, so she was enlisted into Psi-Battalion and given a team of dogboys to work with, and a partner to help rein in her killer tendencies and interrogate her quarry, from time to time. They even taught her detailed medicine, though it was meant to make her a more effective killer, she often used it to care for her dogboys, tending to their wounds herself since the CS saw them largely as expendable. To her they were anything but expendable.

Over time she found it to not be so bad. She always had plenty to 'eat' and she loved her pack of dogboys; Bubba, Rufus, Laddie, Rowdy and Oliver. The pack loved her right back too. And her partner, Squidge (though she went by a different name at the time) actually treated her with respect and courtesy, which was rare since as a psi-stalker she was a second class citizen at best, and psychics tended to be on edge around her. Over the years their friendship developed and along with her dogboy pack, they became a rather effective team.  

Squidge's interrogations began to bring her doubts, which she shared with her psi-stalker friend, causing them both to reconsider the CS, and their place in it.

And then the war started.

The campaign and siege against Tolkeen was brutal. Phere did her part, but toward the end she saw just what the CS thought of her, her dogboy pack and Squidge. When it came down to it, they were fodder. Her pack was wiped out in a foolhardy mission and Phere was nearly killed herself. Both sides were desperate and were doing anything to win. It wasn't even a war anymore. It was just... one atrocity after another. Squidge decided...she couldn't stop the war, but that didn't mean she had to fight in it, and Phere stuck by her friend. Together they went AWOL, trying to leave their demons and nightmares of what they had seen, been through and done behind them.

Once away from the Coalition, she adopted a nickname in place of her given name, just like Squidge, and they looked for a good place to lay low until the Coalition forgot about them, or hopefully assumed them KIA. Together, they found their way to a little place called Prince's Landing.

Along the way though, they came across an old, wounded bobcat caught in a crude trap. It was missing an eye and was badly scarred from a long, hard life in the wilderness. Phere freed the bobcat, tended to its wounds and fed the animal before they set off on their way again. The bobcat followed her afterwards, and so she adopted it. He is nothing but a surly ball of fangs and claws with others, looking at at them like he is plotting their demise and in general being a mean, old bobcat. Strangely enough, with Phere though, he is all purrs and cuddles, which causes her to dismiss any stories of his surly demeanor. The only exception is Squidge, who he barely, grudgingly tolerates, but even she is cautious around the animal.

Phere and Squidge

large.PhereAndSquidgeNoHelmets4.png.7dba   large.PhereAndSquidgeHelmets2.png.4eeac4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your patience, all - the end of the year is always a weird time for me, and doubly so this year since I'm wrapping up my job.

Max, overall looks good - I'm not 100% sure that a TW weapon is available via MARS Fortune & Glory, but I don't see why you wouldn't have it - though you might have a good story for why a forbidden weapon wound up in the hands of a Coalition member of Psi-Bat.

Kensie, B, Phere, all looks good.

Dave, I might need a few more details - a bit more background (where does he come from, where did he get the sword, who're his enemies, etc) and I think if you're taking the Mystic background you get more psi-powers.

Asarasa, did you have anything for the character you were considering?

Also, upon further reflection, I've decided that the temporary hindrances thing I was considering is unnecessary - everyone seems to have done a great job of creating hard-luck heroes on the back foot on their own, and I've got every confidence that you'll be good at playing them as such in the game proper.

I pretty much have every character in background if not in terms of full mechanics, so we should be good to go shortly. I just need a couple of things:

First, let me know if you're just entering the town now, or have been there for a little while, so I know how to intro you.

Secondly, the six of you seem to be divided up neatly into three pairs, so I'd like each pair to work out, then send to me, two rumors - one true rumor and one false rumor. These'll then be sent to the other two groups as prior foreknowledge (or misinformation) about your characters. Obviously tell me which rumors are false and which are true, but other players will have to work that out in-game.

I'll have a forum for us shortly. Thanks!

Archived