OOC: HfH Combat Thread

• Matt changed the title to OOC: HfH Combat Thread
  • Nina pinned this topic

"See!" Gorunta's voice boomed, "This is why we listen to the dog!" His sword flashed forward as he charged the testi-gina-cle on the right... which caught him with a well-timed swipe of the tentacles and yanked him aside with a quick toss. The vesk's frustrated growl echoed off the walls.

Spoiler

Quick Draw sword, move, and attack!
Sword Attack: 1D20+9 = [1]+9 = 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok since this is our first ship combat we are going to do things a bit differently than regular combat

The three phases of ship combat are

ENGINEERING

HELM

GUNNERY

Only certain roles can act in certain phases. you know what roles you are occupying so what I want you to do is

write your actions and make your rolls here in this thread. Start each post which what Phase you act in and include any relevant fluff you wish  to be added into the actual rounds post. once everyone has posted I will put it all together and post one single combined post with my relevant parts included. then we will rinse and repeat.

note there will probably be some RP posts between combat turns

There are six fighters

Speed 12

Ac 15    TL 14

HP 20 CP4    

Shields 10- F3/S2/P2/A3

Range at the beginning of combat is  25 hexes (a range increment is 5 hexes for modifier purposes)

To determine your Gunnery Check Gunnery Check = 1d20 + the gunner’s base attack bonus or the gunner’s ranks in the Piloting skill (do not add the class bonus) + the gunner’s Dexterity modifier + bonuses from computer systems + bonuses from the captain and science officers + range penalty

Sunshine twisted the sticks around, reconfiguring the ship into short-range attack mode. Xrays on the sensor holosphere lit up, and her pilot instincts kicked in. Not analyzing flight paths so much as feeling them, with an instinct that went beyond rational thought. She was good at sneaking, good at shooting, but Sunshine was born to be a pilot.

Spoiler

During the Helm phase, Sunshine will maneuver the ship so that whoever's in the side turrets have an arc to shoot in. If there's only one active turret, she'll flip the ship around to give them an arc to shoot in; if there are two occupied turrets she'll optimize firing potential by diving through a hole in the fighter's formation.

Sunshine Piloting check: 1D20+16 = [16]+16 = 32

GUNNERY PHASE
Action: Firing

Spoiler

Basic Gunnery Check: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
Well, with Jexa's Lock On Bonus and one of the ship's +2 bonuses, I turn that into a 16 and a hit.

Particle Beam Damage: 8D6 = [4, 2, 4, 1, 5, 3, 3, 1] = 23
And that's enough to take out one fighter regardless of which arc we're in!

Gorunta had not served directly in the navy when he'd been a proud soldier of the Veskarium. A soldier, a fighter. So it was true that he did not have particular ship experience. But a gun was a gun, whether it was a pistol, or a ship-mounted particle beam. Aim and shoot. Admittedly, adjusting for fighters was different than people - but Jexa had conveniently provided targeting information to make up for it.

"Thanks, and boom."

you are correct noir. you don't need to post here in order as i will put everything in the right order when i compile the round for the main thread post making any adjustments needed

here are the instructions again with a little editing

Ok since this is our first ship combat we are going to do things a bit differently than regular combat

The three phases of ship combat are

ENGINEERING

HELM

GUNNERY

Only certain roles can act in certain phases. you know what roles you are occupying so what I want you to do is

write your actions and make your rolls here in this thread. Start each post with which  Phase you are acting in, post the action then the rolls and include any relevant fluff you wish  to be added into the actual rounds post.  please do not use spoilers for these posts. once everyone has posted I will put it all together and post one single combined post with my relevant parts included. then we will rinse and repeat.

note there will probably be some RP posts between combat turns

Helm Phase

Action: Attempting "Lock On" Action.
Result: 34 vs DC 27 (or higher if they have defensive countermeasures) = Probable success!

NOTE: The ship grants +2 to any two combat rolls per round, so if Gorunta uses one of those, combined with the targeting lock (if successful), it would make Gorunta's shot of 12 into a 16 and therefore a successful hit!

Crunch

Spoiler

DC: 15 + 12 target's tier + ? its bonus from defensive countermeasures = at least 27 
Roll: 1d20 + 10 Computers + 6 Int mod = 1d20 + 18 = 1D20+16 => (18 + 16) = 34 (Probable success) 

Fluff

"Okay big guy, I'll pick'em out and you light'em up." she said over the comms to Gorunta in his gunner's chair. Swiftly her hands gliding across the console of her station, her fingertips tapping almost like she were playing some sorts of instrument as she accessed the sensors, specifically the targeting sub-routine and looked over the pursuing ships.

"Okay. Who's gonna be our bitch?" she said, mostly to herself, as she looked them over and finally singled out a specific fighter, the leader of the flight for Abadarian fighters.

On Gorunta's display one of the fighters was suddenly highlighted with all manner of speed and heading data displayed next to it, allowing the computer to assist in building in lead and other targeting functions.

"Light'em up." she said said with a satisfied grin.

Helm Phase

Captain's Action: Taunt
Skill Result: Intimidate - Roll (1d20)+18: 17,+18 Total: 35

Fluff:
Evie's Captain's Chair spun about as those on the bridge were avidly tending to their duties, and immediate survival.  She still hadn't gotten a shower and was still in her outfit she'd worn for the set... needless to say, she was still not happy.  She peered at the holoscreens floating all around her, detailing their pursuers.  "Oh, I've bloody well had enough of this.  Opening the comms."

She pressed a few buttons on the arm of her chair.  "Vessels that are in pursuit, you know damn well who this is.  Let's cut to the facts, shall we?  Your boss made a bad move: he annoyed us.  He sent his goons after us and look where they are: dead, with their face in the lap of some well hung devil by now.  At the moment, ladies and gentlemen, we're currently annoyed.  We were enjoying some drinks, winding down, enjoying an evening.  Then you pricks came along and buggered it all up for us."

Her face blipped up within each of the cock pits of the pursuing craft.  Her eyes were narrowed in an expression of pure malice despite the calm and simple manner with which her sensual lips explained the situation.  "We're past games.  We're done screwing around.  There will be no quarter if you press on.  You've seen what we do at annoyed, piss us off and see what we're capable of."  Their screens went blank as the beauty blinked out.  She killed the comms.

"Just like we practiced, people."  Her eyes darted about the screens trying to take it all in.  "Sunshine, get us out of here.  Gorunta, obliterate every son of a bitch that tries to scratch our paint, no warning shots, no disabling.  Obliterate.  Please piss us off you bastards.  I fucking need this right now."  She leaned back in her chair, crossing her right leg over her left knee.  With the threat of imminent death looming over them, Evanna always knew just how to handle it: with absolute, self-centered nonchalance.  "So, drinks are a bust, do you guys wanna, maybe do a movie night or something?  After I shower, of course.  Gods am I feeling icky...  I think it's Sunshine's pick."

Engineering Phase

Action: Divert Power - Engines
Skill Result: 35 vs TN 22 (10 + 2x ship tier)
Divert Power - Engines: 1D20+16 = [19]+16 = 35

Fluff
Echo had a wide grin as she burst into Engineering and began adjusting controls. With unearthly precision and speed, she bounced from one console to another, in what could almost have been a dance, if there'd been someone else there. Her drone, Goomba, rolled over to the engine stack and curled its legs to make itself as small as possible, to ensure it wouldn't get underfoot.

"Chase scene, eh?" the android said over the intercoms. "What THIS needs is a little more POWER!" With three fingers she shoved the virtual sliders controlling the Solenya's reactor output upwards...ignoring the warnings from the safety protocols she'd just systematically disabled. The sliders went from bright green to a flashing yellow.

"Lets see if you can run a race, champ."

(Solenya has Speed 12 this round!)

No Phase/Any Phase

(Jordayn has no skills applicable to ship combat, save for some uses of Diplomacy, but a ship can only have one Captain and Evana looks better in the Captain's chair)

Fluff

Avid traveler that he was, Jordayn was woefully inadequate at handling a starship. Still, with everything moving into action, he made his to the bridge for the simple expedient that was where most of the rest were. If he couldn't keep the ship running, he could keep the crew running through any bumps and scrapes and stray plasma fire.

"Sunshine can pick anything they want, as long as it is something different. I can't handle watching 'Do Ysoki Dream of Electric Cheese' one more time."

GUNNERY PHASE
Action:
Firing
Result: Using +2 computer bonus to add on is 13+2 = 15, hit! (Basic Gunnery Check: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13)
Particle Beam Damage: 8D6 = [4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 2, 5, 5] = 32

"Right, I can't make any promises about that cruiser." Gorunta told Evana, targeting another fighter for destruction. "I can obliterate the fighters."

"Cruiser!?"  Evana now noticed the larger blip on their tactical display.  She'd minimized it to harry the fighters.  "Oh, balls."

Her finger hit the engineering button on the holodisplay.  "Echo, my darling, um, I'm pretty sure my bullshit will spread only so far, so I'm afraid I must ask: what are we still doooiiing heeereee?!"  The last part was sung in a worried, why aren't you making miracles happen, tone.

"Case you haven't noticed, sweetie, they have a cruiser,"  she smirked.  "Can we please show them what an overly energetic, mildly imbalanced, technophile android can do?  I don't think I have more distractions in me, short of flashing them."

Spoiler

Encouraging Engineering. (+2 to Engineering rolls)

Roll(1d20)+19: 13,+19 Total: 32

"Should we start - one second - "

Sunshine didn't even hesitate when she saw the cruiser, immediately engaging turn, roll, pitch and yaw thrusters and making use of an intuitive grasp of microgravity inertia to throw the ship into a series of evasive maneuvers, while being mindful to keep Gorunta's turret pointed in the general direction of "them."

"... should we start plotting a jump to Driftspace?"

Engineering Phase

Action: Divert Power - Engines
Skill Result: 35 vs TN 22 (10 + 2x ship tier)

Engineering - Divert power: 1d20+16 32

Fluff

"Just RUN!" Echo called back. "If we start drifting now those fighters'll have free shots! We can kill the fighters, gain ground, and THEN drift while they try to catch up!"

The ship shuddered slightly as the android adjusted reactor output and distribution to make sure the engines didn't overheat while maintaining the increased power flow. Hard to say how long the Solenya would put up with this, but it was a far cry better than eating missiles, right?

(Solenya has Speed 12 this round!)

Helm Phase

Action: Attempting "Lock On" Action.
Result: 34 vs DC 27 (or higher if they have defensive countermeasures) = Probable success!

Crunch

Spoiler

DC: 15 + 12 target's tier + ? its bonus from defensive countermeasures = at least 27 
Roll: 1d20 + 10 Computers + 6 Int mod = 1d20 + 18 = 1D20+18 => (6 + 18) = 24 = Failure!

Fluff

Jexa cheerd as the fighter she had locked onto vanished from sensors in a brilliant flash.

"That's how you do it! Okay. Who's next up?" she asked aloud, to nobody as she began to seek another targeting lock.

"Damn it. These guys are getting getting slippery now." she muttered as she she kept trying to acquire a new target, but the evasive moves of the small, maneuverable fighters made it much more difficult now that the Solyena had lost the element of surprise.

"I'm tryin', bug guy, but you're gonna be on your for a few.." she cursed.

Archived