OOC: D&D 5e: A New Age - OOC

Noir

There is not really rules so much as etiquette, like do not go nuts with Italics, underlines and bold. Use them for emphasis here or there, not entire posts. You also do not need to put your actions in italics either. If you want to add a OOC note to a post, then you put it in a Spoiler. Stuff like that.

It's kind of hard to spell it all out, but you will get a feel for it.

Noir, how are with character knowing or having worked together before the game has begun?

The reason I ask is that 4th level is not a small amount of prior adventuring under the belt, so if other players are the adventuring type, they may have met, heard of, or even worked with other PCs before.  The Crossing doesn't look like a small place (10,000+ people?) so it would make sense if they've never adventured together, but hearing of one another could prove difficult since small communities generally have nothing better going on than rumor mongering.

Oh, also, what Gods are we using for this setting?

Being 4th level, you have developed a bit of a rep in the area, having dome some small things for, and/or around, The Crossing.

Pre-existing relationships are encouraged. Any of you could have worked together before, grew up together, be from the same shelter and so on.

I know Dread and Kao's bard are both from The Crossing, so you could have known each other. Max' and Kao's PCs might know each other too. Just talk with people and work it out. I have no issues at all with any of you knowing each other or having worked together before.

As you will see in the first IC, essentially a young man and woman for a village a couple of days away came into the tavern asking for help since people have gone missing in their village and they are scared. They could not offer much but to feed you, a place to sleep and their thanks. As for why you all went, there are any number of reasons from PC to PC. Kindness of your heart, boredom, something to do and so on. Regardless, you all accepted and we will be starting in the village.

So the party is....

Krsuk Tragmaw - Half-Orc, Paladin (Devotion) 4

Rhosh Lixis - Dragonborn, Rogue (Thief) 4

Dread Delgath - Human, Fighter (Champion) 4

Shayuri - Half-Elf, Sorcerer (Draconic) 4

Eon Silvertongue - Half-Elf, Bard (Valor) 3 / Rogue 1

Looks like a nice, very capable party!

Suggested relationships. The depths of these is up to you, but you at least know names and are not hostile. Feel free to work out other relationships to tweak these or disregard them. I am just trying to get the ball rolling here.

• Dread knows Rhosh and Eon know each other, both being from The Crossing. They have had some small adventures together (as pairs or duos), mostly in town and dealing with angry people or mobs after barfights, trysts, botched pickpocketing and so on.

• Rhosh and Eon know each other, due to the circles they run in (Criminal and Urchin) and both being Rogues.

• Shayuri and Eon have all met before, searching for/sharing lore and such. Shayuri studied many books and Eon has heard many tales and legends.

• Krusk, Dread and Rhosh have worked together in the past, with the temple of Bahamut paying hiring the latter two to aid Krusk to recover an artifact from some Orc raiders.

I'm fine with that, it should be noted that Dread probably doesn't get along with the Paladin all that well.  Grudging respect (one warrior to another), but for the most part, if they know each other they probably do not agree on much.  Possibly even a few arguments in the past on how to deal with things.

Dread would not be fond of Rosh as there's no honor in thievery.  However, his skill set is useful so while Dread may not be fond of him, there is still a professional courtesy there.

Eon... ugh, bards.  Eon is a Valor bard, so Dread would offer him up the same warriors respect.  On the plus side, at least there will be someone to tell the tales of Dread's legendary exploits.  Eon can pen himself in a few places if he likes, for posterity.  Dread is a caring god after all.

He's not sure what to make of the mongrel, kobold girl (and refers to her as such, if only to irritate her).  She's a Sorcerer... so obviously she's to weak to be useful, poor thing.  At least she's easy on the eyes... except the horns, the horns weird.

Now, I'm not the sort of player that steals from, backstabs, or, lastly, kills other PCs.  They can disagree, argue, hell, even fist fight in the dirt, but as a player my PC won't ever draw steel on another character with the intent to kill them (barring DM magic, or course).  Since I know we have a few new players and they aren't familiar with us around here, I just wanted to be clear that we tend to play nice (even if our PCs are assholes).  We're, for the most part, more interested in the story, not the dice rolls or the 'who wins'.  Have fun and roll with it.

Mmm. For the most part. That's not to say that the characters can't argue like it's going out of fashion, though. But yeah. Its the same conceit that ensures that I will never steal from another party member. A certain level of suspending disbelief is to be expected in order to game together properly.

And honestly, nothing destroys parties quite like having the rogues steal from them. It's one of the few things that actually pisses me off OOC as much as it does IC. :P

That all sounds good to me. Rhosh is chaotic good based on his overall goal to buy his clan's freedom at any expense (including stealing/smuggling from non-clan members), so his version of good will always lean that direction. As a former scout in his clan, he can appreciate Dread's sword skill, but will never understand the brooding demeanor. He's used to being more open with emotion, but guarded in thought.

Though Eon is more in the spotlight than Rhosh cares for, he does enjoy sharing the occasional scheme with the bard. Eon's abilities are hard for him to relate to, but useful and he likes having Eon as a person to rely on if a scheme should need it.

Krusk is an honorable being in Rhosh's eyes being a servant of Bahamut. Rhosh personally has a love/hate relationship with the deity; love for being his clan's ancestor, hate for not protecting them when it was needed. His love for Bahamut seems bi-polar, but Krusk serves as an exemplary servant and helps remind Rhosh of Bahamut's importance. Beyond that Krusk may seem a little naive to Rhosh, but he assumes that's just a side effect from being in the temple too long.

Shayuri is intriguing to Rhosh, but namely for the presence of scales. She's not dragonborn so there's no interest there, but between the use of draconic magic and visible scales he is more confused than anything. He'll always be a little skeptical about Shayuri and repeatedly try to remember if any of his clansmen had relations outside the clan thinking her to be a distant relative.

Just for sake of conscious, Rhosh has no intent to harm and/or steal from anyone in the group because it would bring too much attention to him. He needs allies, not enemies, if he will ever be able to free his clan. He has no problem stealing from the complete stranger, but he'll never spoil relationships (business or otherwise) by double-dipping, so to speak.

Unless an actual encounter happens, it's irrelevant.

Dread/Rhosh - 00:00 - 0200

Eon/NPC Apprentice - 0200 - 0400

Krusk/Shayuri - 0400 - 0600

That gives everyone about 4 hours of rest, if we sleep in til 0800 that gives everyone 6 hours and by 0800 the village should be up and going by then so no one needs to take a watch then.

You have no clocks, but the sun has been down for a few hours, so it is currently 9-10pm or so. And yeah, most villages and towns, especially farming communities, are awake at dawn or so. So 5-6am the village will probably be waking (maybe a little later for those who drank a bit too much).

• 3 weeks later...

Dread has torches and an assorted other useful adventuring supplies.  He has ten.  Assume he ignites one if it's needed.  If you have darkvision, you should still have torches.  It's handy, but it doesn't allow you to make out fine detail, like read.

Does the Sorcerer have any way to make light as a cantrip in 5e?  If so we should make use of that, so we can save the torches.

The Paladin spoke up first, so let's hit the tomb.  I'd prefer not to have to sit and wait for everyone to chime in with their ideas every time there is a new room... it'd prolly be best of we designate a party leader and they just tell the GM where to take us next and we go from there.  Turning this into a question/answer session every time there is a decision to be made will get tedious.

The Pally spoke up, so I say for now let's just follow his lead.

• Matt changed the title to OOC: D&D 5e: A New Age - OOC

Archived