Game Proposal - Adventure! 2033

Noir

Okay, lets try this...

Game: Adventure! 2033

GM: Noir (Persephone)

System: Adventure! (with some slight tweaks)

# of players: 2-5 (or so), though if only one person is interested, solo is a possibility

PCs: The PCs are all "exceptional" people who have been recruited by a private firm that specializes in "problem solving". It allows HUGE room for varied stories from, cleaning up some mess, rescuing hostages, finding a lost research team, recovering (or stealing) an experimental thingy, obtaining secure data or whatever.

It a small, private company, so without actual governmental authority. Thereby the may be hired to do some things that a government cannot officially do and it means that sometimes the authorities are as much of a threat as the bad guys you encounter.

The team is likely a diverse group of people with many talents allowing for a wide range of concepts. The money and/or action would attract quite a few people as being so exceptional it is hard to really push yourself of find a thrill in mundane life.

Why you are exceptional can be for any number of reasons (luck, indomitable willpower, intensive training, experimentation, and many, many more), but it needs to fit with your knacks.

Setting: The year is 2033, so the world is not all that dissimilar to today. Cities, cars and so on still look virtually the same. For the average person, phones are better, as are computers and other common advancements for the masses. Some newer construction, especially higher end homes and office buildings are often "smart" with integrated computer control and refrigerators that order milk automatically when it detects the level is low or the expiration date is near. Things like that. 

In fact, it would likely take somebody from 2017 a little while to even notice differences.

On the cutting edge though, things have advanced rapidly. The highest end computers may have holographic displays and/or limited AI. Gene therapies cure all manner of conditions. Advanced materials engineering allow for all manner of manufacturing and construction. And so on.

That same advancement always has a darker side as well...

(This is NOT full Cyberpunk or Ghost In The Shell, or Blade Runner by any means, nor are people playing "superheroes". As far as tech, especially the cutting edge stuff, think along the lines of the general tech in the MCU, such as Captain America: Winder Solider, Civil War movies. Very similar to today, but just bumped up since things in developments in 2017 are reality 2033).

If there is interest, I will post more background and stuff for character generation. Seeing as this is PBP, and time is a premium, I may award a few extra points to give people a starting bump.

Hmm! In Adventure we play extraordinary characters with abilities beyond the rank and file. Is this game going with the 'z-ray' thing, or is there a specific setting background for unusual powers? Or can the various possible powers be defined in different ways, like genetic alterations or cybernetics or etc?

The knacks can be explained in all manner of ways, from intense training, gene therapy/alteration/enhancement, cybernetics, genius, and so on. 

The z-waves thing will be used in a very limited way, but nothing that will impact character generation. Just like today, Dr. Zobo never attacked New York with his fleet of blimps, but people did rarely come out of far off places with tales of strange things (which were generally promptly dismissed and/or laughed at).

I will post more stuff on CharGen shortly

If Max is going with super soldier, I'm considering going an ex-military pilot turned body guard.  His powers will come from an experimental implant installed on his brain.  Although originally designed to monitor his body's reactions to extreme stress, G's, and control the release of endorphins, adrenaline and the like to keep him functioning long after a normal body would have given out.

An accident occurred and his experimental plane was struck by a massive EMP, wrecking everything in the cockpit and sending his implant into a tizzy.  Long story short, the algorithm that controlled the implant somehow managed to map his brain and understand how human intellect worked and found of spark of sentience.  The Variable Interface Virtual Intelligence or 'Vivi' is now his constant companion.  Monitoring his body's capabilities it stimulates muscles, organs and tissues to allow him achieve things that are borderline superhuman.  Still a computer in it's own right it aids him by allowing him access to vast amounts of Intellect driven skills that aren't technically his (like an ability to build things that are technically super science).

This character will draw heavily on themes from the 6 Million Dollar Man and human/AI relationships like Master Chief and Cortana.  Vivi is, obviously, an Artifact.

If this ain't cool, lemme know.

CharGen - Adventure! 2033

Note - The Adventure! charter sheet does not list some skills more fitting the modern age, such as Intrusion, Computer, and for some reason Biz. You can take them, along with other skills from Aberrant as well as running any non-standard skills by me.

The weapons and equipment in Aberrant will also serve as baseline equipment stats as well.

Only changes to character generation in the book are stated here, otherwise, go by the book.

Skills: 25 dots

Backgrounds: 6 points. You begin with Backing 2 and Resources 3 for free.

Bonus Points: 18 points

Transformation Points: 15

Knacks

You still select the type of Inspired you are (Daredevil, Mesmerist or Stalwart), but may purchase Knacks from from the other types of Inspired at a cost of +1 TP (or +5 xp) over the listed cost.

Additional Knacks can be created as well. The book is not a complete list of all possible Knacks, especially with more modern times and technology.

Some notes about superscience...

Advancements, Innovation, Gadgets & Artifacts

Gadgets vs Inventions

Implements purchased under the Gadget Background (see p. 146) are distinct from items created via the superscience rules. However, the distinction is not one of function but of its importance to the character and/or the story.

A gadget is a special item unique to a character, a defining aspect of who that character is. As an example, although both are certainly inventions, Cliff (the Rocketeer) Secord’s rocket pack is a gadget but Tom Strong’s autogyro backpack is just an invention.The Rocketeer wouldn’t be who he is without his jet pack, while specific equipment is incidental to defining Tom Strong’s character.

So "Vivi" would be a gadget (or likely Artifact), not just an invention.

A superscience invention is a marvelous creation, but unless it’s purchased as a gadget, it is not considered an intrinsic aspect of the character who built it (or who uses it).

An Artifact is an extremely high level Gadget (purchased with the Artifact Background Enchancement). It may have multiples advancements and/or Innovations.

Advanced tech/inventions are progressions on existing tech. 

Innovations simulate Knacks or do other utterly amazing things..

Characters can start with a number of Advanced inventions (not Innovations) equal to his Resources x2. The combined number of options among all of these inventions cannot exceed the characters Resources x2. (So the more levels you have in an invention, the fewer inventions you will have. All inventions are pending my approval). These are just inventions, essentially just really good equipment and do not not define a character like gadgets do. This is in addition to any inventions purchased with the Gadget Background. The character may have as many gadgets as he likes, so long as he has the bonus, transformation and/or experience points to spend.

If you have one of the Knacks for creating superscience, then consult the box on pg 177 of the book (and me as well) about starting with additional Advances and/or Innovative inventions.

Merits and Flaws... yes or no?

By the way, I'm working on a Character Template for this, I'll be mixing some of the Trinity Players Guide skill in with since they are relevant for a modern game (Heavy Weapons, Gunnery, etc...).  If the skill doesn't apply, simply remove it from the sheet.

Spoiler

Birth Name:
Alias(es)/Code Name:
Nature:
Vice:
Virtue:
Inspiration:

Allegiance:
Nationality:
Height:
Weight:
Eye Color:
Hair Color:
Handedness:
Distinguishing Marks:
General Appearance:

Abilities/Special Skills:

Personality:

Interests:

Background:

Physical:
Strength ●
-Archery -, Brawl -, Heavy Weapons -, Might -
Dexterity ●
-Athletics -, Firearms -, Legerdemain -, Martial Arts -, Melee -, Stealth -
Stamina ●
-Endurance -, Resistance -

Mental:
Perception ●
-Artillery -, Awareness -, Demolitions -, Investigation -, Navigation -
Intelligence ●
-Academics -, Bureaucracy -, Computer -, Engineering -, Intrusion -, Linguistics -, Medicine -, Military Science -, Science -, Survival -
Wits ●
-Arts -, Drive -, Gunnery -, Meditation -, Pilot -

Social:
Appearance ●
-Disguise -, Intimidation -, Style -
Manipulation ●
-Animal Handling -, Interrogation -, Savvy -, Subterfuge -
Charisma ●
-Command -, Etiquette - , Instruction -, Perform -, Rapport -

Merits:
Flaws:

Backgrounds: Allies, Backing, Cipher, Contacts, Followers, Gadget, Influence, Menagerie, Mentor, Nemesis, Reputation, Resources, Sanctum

Knacks:

Heroic:
Mesmerist-
-Level 1:
-Level 2:
-Level 3:
Stalwart-
-Level 1:
-Level 2:
-Level 3:

Willpower:
Inspiration:
Intuitive Facet:
Reflective Facet:
Destructive Facet:

Health Levels:
Bruised 0 (1 hr / 1 day) O
Hurt -1 (1 hr / 3 days) O
Injured -1 (1 hr / 1 week) O
Wounded -2 (1 hr / 2 weeks) O
Maimed -3 (3 hrs / 1 month) O
Crippled -4 (6 hrs / 2 months) O
Incapacitated (12 hrs / 4 months) O
Death O

Soak:
Stamina:
Armor:
Base Total:
Armored Total:

Initiative:

Movement:
Walk:
Run:
Sprint:

Gear:
Weapons -
Armor-
Tools -

Experience (total/spent):

Okay, there you go guys, it should be formatted for a simple copy and paste.  All you have to do is fill it out.  Note: The '-' (dash) in the skills are is to denote that you have a skill rating of 0 (zero).  If you have a rating in the skill, delete the dash or you will look silly having a score of 'negative' that number or dots (depending on how you format it, I prefer dots).  The dashes are there to prevent you from deleting all the skills you don't have rating in, or having a bunch of words followed commas (fun fact: your eyes will gravitate to the dashes before the commas.  If not, you're a freak of nature, check yourself into a lab).  This way you have a comprehensive list of skills so you don't have to go trying to remember one you want to buy but don't have a rating in.

Alright, so, I know this is Noir's game but I'm going to go off on a rant real quick...

You character starts and ends at 'Birth Name' and 'Experience (total/spent)', repectively.  That means your character is not a series of dots or numbers on the screen and all the rest left blank with a 'Background Coming Soon' tag put on it.  That's plain lazy.  I know we all have lives we're living, but Noir is taking the time out of her life to entertain you and the rest of us with this game.  She doesn't have to do this.  So don't be one of those people who half-asses their character sheet, claims they'll add the background later... and then never does (you know who you are).

As a player as well as an ST on this site, if you don't submit to me a complete character, I don't even look at it and lately I'm seeing a lot of half completed characters.  C'mon people.  We're better than this.  Give Noir (and the other STs) something to work with so she (they) can maim and kill us properly.

Carry on.

A spy/hacker-ish would work, Jer.

Nice sheet, Dave.

Merits and Flaws? I hesitant to allow it, but I will say "yes, with approval". And none of the huge merits, like Iron Will, that are effectively knacks. 

Working on more setting/background stuff now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 9:15 PM, Noir said:

I would love to get into this, please say it's not too late to join. I have been out of touch for a while.

Okay, lets try this...

Game: Adventure! 2033

GM: Noir (Persephone)

System: Adventure! (with some slight tweaks)

# of players: 2-5 (or so), though if only one person is interested, solo is a possibility

PCs: The PCs are all "exceptional" people who have been recruited by a private firm that specializes in "problem solving". It allows HUGE room for varied stories from, cleaning up some mess, rescuing hostages, finding a lost research team, recovering (or stealing) an experimental thingy, obtaining secure data or whatever.

It a small, private company, so without actual governmental authority. Thereby the may be hired to do some things that a government cannot officially do and it means that sometimes the authorities are as much of a threat as the bad guys you encounter.

The team is likely a diverse group of people with many talents allowing for a wide range of concepts. The money and/or action would attract quite a few people as being so exceptional it is hard to really push yourself of find a thrill in mundane life.

Why you are exceptional can be for any number of reasons (luck, indomitable willpower, intensive training, experimentation, and many, many more), but it needs to fit with your knacks.

Setting: The year is 2033, so the world is not all that dissimilar to today. Cities, cars and so on still look virtually the same. For the average person, phones are better, as are computers and other common advancements for the masses. Some newer construction, especially higher end homes and office buildings are often "smart" with integrated computer control and refrigerators that order milk automatically when it detects the level is low or the expiration date is near. Things like that. 

In fact, it would likely take somebody from 2017 a little while to even notice differences.

On the cutting edge though, things have advanced rapidly. The highest end computers may have holographic displays and/or limited AI. Gene therapies cure all manner of conditions. Advanced materials engineering allow for all manner of manufacturing and construction. And so on.

That same advancement always has a darker side as well...

(This is NOT full Cyberpunk or Ghost In The Shell, or Blade Runner by any means, nor are people playing "superheroes". As far as tech, especially the cutting edge stuff, think along the lines of the general tech in the MCU, such as Captain America: Winder Solider, Civil War movies. Very similar to today, but just bumped up since things in developments in 2017 are reality 2033).

If there is interest, I will post more background and stuff for character generation. Seeing as this is PBP, and time is a premium, I may award a few extra points to give people a starting bump.

Archived