BESM Blaze Heart Chapter 1 Mistal

Justin OOC

I am repurposing this game zone for Blaze heart until Chosen comes back.   Hopefully this works out well.

It was a  rare Day in the town of Magnolia, home to the guild Blaze Heart.   It was peaceful, quiet, and for the most part ordinary.   The wizards of the guild were mostly out on various jobs, so there was little concern of a ruckus to be caused by them.   Despite the destruction the guild could cause, there was never any real talk of forcing the guild out.  They were powerful and of course some feared them, but that wasn't the real reason.  Blaze Heart was a very sturdy shield to the town, Monster attacks and marauding bands were things that just didn't happen in Magnolia, and if they did, the Blaze Heart wizards were the first to respond with typical decisiveness.  The guild brought fame with them, even if they weren't the strongest, and the members were reliable, though like many guilds, fairly quirky.

Headmaster Lester Caine  sat at the bar, a sheet of paper with the Imperial header and seal atop it before him, and he read it another time.   It was an Imperial command for his guild to send a team of no less than five Wizards to Mount Mistal to retrieve a relic that had been stolen from one of the Royal convoys.   Two dozen dead soldiers and four dead wizards already because of whatever was stolen, and yet the King had not seen fit to bring this to the council.  The job was delivered by courier, and only into his hands.   He sighed.   They had no information, save that one of the mages told the patrol that found the ransacked convoy That he heard the Theives say something about Mount Mistal before passing on.

Master Caine would have rathered gather his S-class wizards together and send them, since this was so important, but only one was still in town.  He'd have to send the others, and he would keep at least three members here in town, as insurance.   He'd already had Evie use her Telepathy Magic to contact the others in town summoning them to the guild hall.  He'd let them volunteer, then choose who to send from among those.   

Evie Conroy was the guild's hostess and bartender/chef.  She was a woman with a past, and while her magic was excellent for communications, there were other aspects of it that put most mages off.   Publiclly, it was called Communication Magic, as she could understand and communicate with anyone, but only the guild members knew the truth of the matter.   Like many of the members of the guild, Evie was a beautiful woman, though she didn't seem too concerned with it.  She was dressed simply as her tasks were mostly the maintenence of the Guild Hall.  She was the friendly face, the one who was always there to listen, and one of the few who actually lived in the Guild Hall's small dormitory.

Caine looked at her, and she nodded.  This close it was hard for her not to read his mind, and she shared his concerns.  To her, the Guild was family, her brothers and sisters, and this would be a Dangerous Job.  She had fixed some tea and brought it to the master.  "All we can do is wait to see who wants to do this. Knowing them, they'll all want to go, so you'll have your pick."   Caine just nodded.  "I know, but this is not normal.  There's no information on what was stolen, just that the Mages would know when they saw it, and that this was to be done as quickly and with all secrecy possible."

She tried to stifle her chuckle, but failed.  "And they sent it to our Guild, Master?"  "Yeah, I know, that was my reaction too when I read that the first time."

here we go post here arriving to the guild and anything else you'd like.  When we're all here, I'll move us along, feel free to interact.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brennan shuffled into the guild.  He was shambling like he wasn't quite awake yet and looked like he'd just rolled out of bed, which wasn't too far from the truth.  "Eeeey ere'body...," he managed through a wide mouthed yawn as lazily waved to everyone.  He sat at one of the tables lethargically rested his head against his hand.

"Brennan, hun, do you need something, coffee perhaps?"  Evie asked.

His head slowly bobbed in the affirmative, managing to reply before fell back asleep.  A moment later his eyes snapped open as the steam from his coffee mug caught his senses.  "Mmmm... Evie, you are the best."

"I know," she smiled at him.

"So, what's up?"  He took is first sip and it was like sweet ambrosia to his senses.  "What's going on?"

She patted him on the shoulder and walked off.  "Wake up first, Master will talk with everyone once they all arrive."

One member of the guild was already in the guild.  Evie had come by moments before and told her what was happening, about the letter, but not the mission.  Half-heartedly she managed a smile while she peeled the crust from her grilled cheese sandwich.  She had moved what few, modest belongings she had to the guildhall, now that her landlord had kicked her out.  He'd heard about the incident last week with her celestial spirit burning down a house she was asked to clear of vermin in the larder and feared that it might happen again, to his own property.

She was still a stranger to the guild, a newbie that had already proven her absolute ineptitude in every way imaginable.  Most days she just sat at her table, talking to herself.  Dreading he next attempt to pay her dues when her celestial spirits would find some new way to mess her life up.

Luci peered out the window at the street below from beside the closed curtain, it was empty except fo normal foot traffic she could see no one waiting. The tendril of hair released the curtain and fell back into place with the waves of black living hair which seemed to be perpetually blown by an unfelt wind.

With a sigh she picked up her swords and left the solitude of her room at the Hotel where she lived (it was the only place in town she could get 24 hour room service) to make her way to the Guild Hall.

She had taken no more than two dozen steps out on the sidewalk before two men (boys really, she doubted either one was more than a few days over eighteen) had come up behind her and boxed her in one on either side. Both held the kind of silly autograph books you could get in any general store. Both began speaking almost as one.

"Luci..."

"... Lacuna!

"This is such ..."

"...A thrill to meet you at..."

"...last!"

"We follow all of your adventures"

"And were especially intrigued by your latest from the paper..."

"How you bested the Marshlight Monster was..."

"...Fantastic!"

That the two boys actually seemed to be talking as one annoyed the living hell out of Luci yet still she took the time to pause.

She spun and both boys were caught surprised and stumbled. as she grabbed one book and scribbled then the other and scribbled again.

"Have a good day boys." She said barely audible to either as she spun and marched the rest of the way to the guild hall leaving the two boys standing together holding their books up side by side, one  having  Luci  on a page and the other with Lacuna

Luci stopped just inside the door lifting one eyebrow as she took in the scene. The Master sitting at the end of the bar a thoughtful look on his face, almost a worried one if she guessed right, Brennen trying to keep from planting his face in his mug of coffee, and the new girl, what was her name Kaori something.

"So I hear we have a job."

Her sprint chewed through the distance, the only sounds she could hear the beat of her music and the thundering of her heartbeat, with a grunt she launched herself from one rooftop to another. Much quicker than trying to take the streets. She'd only hit the road itself once she reached her usual drop off point by her favourite stand. She wouldn't have time to stop properly today, though. Not with the call going out like it had. Usually they were left to their own devices as far as jobs went. The master only occasionally making requests of various members, and even then, it was more the S classes, so for it to be broadcast to the entire guild at once had her heart racing in anticipation.

A familiar scent had her nose twitching and a wide grin stretched over her features as she came to the final edge. Launching herself over that with a whoop of delight, she hits the ground hard, rolling to bleed off the force of the fall and coming back up in a full sprint once more, momentum barely interrupted. Her hand dives into her pocket and she slams a handful of change down on the wooden counter of a stand, snagging her usual freshly baked treat from where it rested beside it. A quickly hollered thanks, a glowing smile, and a rapidly spinning coin sitting on top of a pile of it's brothers the only evidence of her passing. The stall owner barely even acknowledging the whirlwind that had just swept through his little store, raising his own hand in farewell and shaking his head, no doubt muttering imprecations on how she'd break her neck doing that someday.

Coming through the guild doors at full speed, she dodges around Luci, boots almost skating over the floor as she plops onto one of the benches, her momentum sending her sliding down the bench where she comes to rest beside Brennan with a cheerfully chirped "Afternoon" addressed to the room at large before biting into her treat with obvious pleasure. One hand rising up to pull her headphones down to rest around her neck, the muted strains of her music issuing forth.

"Hon, I would love to do more," Darrik said, moving to pick up his clothing and dress himself, "but the Guild's sending me a message and they want me back on the double." It didn't prevent him from giving Sabrina a long deep kiss with salacious tongue. Or was it Serena? One of the babes with long blond hair, a sexy body and a wish to keep getting some of that fine Darrik. It was later when he got halfway down the road to the guildhall that he remembered.

Yeah, it was Sabrina. Serena had the brother with flexibility and the bull tattoo, and mmm, strong muscles to fit.

When the door to Blaze Heart opened, Darrik sauntered in with swaying hips. "What's up?"

...it was at that point there was a little flash of light from high above the Guild Hall, followed by a distant, bass ...crump... sound that jiggled the windows ever so slightly.

Some of the old-timers in the Guild discretely moved away from the skylight. It wasn't that they were afraid of getting impaled by shards...the window up above had been replaced with 'safety glass' ages ago. A Guild Wizard was actually credited with the invention of the stuff.

They just had keen instincts for this sort of thing.

And thus, Darrik made his big, bold, sexy entrance to the Guild Hall...and no sooner than he had than something slammed into a pane of safety glass up above and broke through it, sending little mostly-harmless chunks of glass flying down in a shower all over the handsome devil. Into his outstretched arms smacked a smoldering thing that looked kind of like a human sized beetle grub with skin that felt vaguely like burlap. It wriggled.

That skin split open then, and sprouting from within was a puff of hair so violently red that in some cultures it would be an invitation to war. It jutted out to either side in a sort of pigtail. The person's face was mostly obscured by the oversized lenses of brass and smoked quartz goggles that ticked and whirred as they swiveled around. What wasn't behind those lenses was primarily an ENORMOUS grin.

"You GUYS! The emergency freefall system worked! I just survived a fall from...oh gosh, I don't even know. How high is it when you start to black out because you can't breathe? Like...higher than that. But I'm ALIVE! Oh, hey Darrik."

Without comment, the Dark Mage lowered the weird swaddling drop-pod onto the floor, his face revealing little to nothing of what his feelings about this development were.

She shoved the goggles up onto her forehead, revealing big, bright green eyes and round cheeks that were perpetually smudged with soot or grease or...something.

"So! When I was passing out from asphyxiation, I had the damndest thing happen! A voice in my head saying there was a job! I was so excited I managed to hit the Abort button just before I fainted!" The wizard laughed heartily, then looked away for a second. "...probably should look into automating that button."

"Anyway! If there's a job, I will get it done a hundred and seventeen percent! That is the Klattatech Guarantee!!"

She leaped out of the embryonic shell of the freefall system; a short skinny girl with overalls and a T shirt that were almost entirely hidden behind belts and bandoliers of pouches and odd little bits and pieces of brass and copper and crystal, all waiting to be socketed together and brought to life.

Luci walked past Darrick and Deezy her hair snaking out to the corner behind the bar snatching up the broom and dustpan kept there just for this reason.

A slight frown twisted her pale lips at the thoughtlessness of her fellow wizards as she sat down near the Master, her hair thrusting the broom and pan at Deezy.

People could have been hurt.

"You might need these Deezy, to clean up your mess."

Mitsuko walked into the hall, carrying a satchel over her shoulder with various groceries poking out. She strolled over, sidestepping the broken glass, humming to herself with a smile. Once she reaches the table she sat down the satchel, her groceries nearly spilling from it. 

"You rang?" she asked with a smile, tapping the side of her head.

Her gaze then returned to the groceries, taking a quick inventory to go over her mental checklist once again. She had been contemplating this dish for a while, but the groceries would keep for several days if duty called.

Master Caine shook his head and sighed.  "Honestly, even with the safety glass, must you use the skylight?  Why not simply use the door, like a normal wizard.?"   He looked at the assembled wizards, and looked to Evie.  "Seiya says he's not coming.   He figures if he stay in town, then you can send everyone."   Caine looked abit aggravated, but nodded.  "He does have a point, though it's unlike him to take on that sort of responsibility.  Very Well, it's not like we could really force him."    He looked to the other Wizards there, and didn't smile.  "Well, as you all know We have a job that requires considerable power to take care of.   This is a secret request, directly from the King himself.   An item of great importance was stolen from a royal convoy, resulting in the deaths of a fair number of soldiers and four wizards.  Our Guild has been asked to retrieve it, quietly, and intact.  We are to wipe out whoever we find in possession of the item.   I had planned to send four or five of you and Seiya, but since he's elected to remain behind, I will go ahead and send all of you on this mission.  Understand, you have to maintain secrecy, and that we have little information beyond the possible home of the Raiders at Mount Mistal.   You can take the Guild Magic Van  since there's alot of you going,  but do try to ensure you bring in back intact.   Now are there any questions?"

"So find something and punch the people that took it?  Easy peasy."  Brennan said, holding the dust pan while Deezy swept.  "I can totally do that!"

He dumped a small amount of glass into a dust bin.  "Deezy, remember the goblins outside Candlelight last month?  You can use that... thingy, you used and I'll back you up!  We'll be back before the weekend."

"Um, Miss Lacuna makes a good point," came a shy, soft voice, almost a whisper, from somewhere off to the side.  Kaori stood up, straightening her denim skirt before walking over.  "That's not a lot to work with.  Is there nothing else they could offer us?"

She stood among her fellow mages now, but she was hunched, like a hobbit standing among giants.  Just being among her peers made her blush red from embarrassment, she was among experienced mages and didn't feel she belonged here.  Bashfully she straightened a few imaginary wrinkles in her blouse that Luci would have argued was too tight and not buttoned up enough.  Just because she had it, didn't mean she needed to put it on display for everyone.  She swallowed nervously, "M-maybe numbers?  What we're up against?  D-do they have mages too?  I mean... you don't know Master, that's fine... I-I understand."

She realized everyone was looking at her... and why wouldn't they?  She had the floor after all... but once she realized it, she shirked away, wedging herself back between the shoulders of two other mages, hiding from the judgemental eyes of her peers.  "Um... shutting up now..."

Master Caine sighed.  "I do know that the four wizards slain were from the royal military, not any guild.  I asked repeatedly for more information, only to be told there was nothing more to tell.  If it's regular marauders, any two of you should be able to handle this. but given that I was told to send all the force I could, I expect that sending more of you will only help.   The other part is this.   If the mission is completed per all requests, there is the matter of compensation. One Million Jewel, to each mage, or a month's access to Royal Library's vault, Which I should tell you is normally restricted to only S-class wizards."

"Secret mission? What secret mission?" Mitsuko asked as she looked around.

"Hey, on a totally unrelated note, did you know there are some rare ghost mushrooms that grow on and around Mount Mistal? They would be great in this dish I am making. We should go collect some. And bring your gear in case we bump into some raiders." she said with a smile and an overly exaggerated wink. 

"I bet we could even borrow the bus!"

"...some kind of glass magnet..." muttered Deezy as she finished sweeping up chunks of window and took the dustpan from Brennen. At his prompting she nodded, brightening.

"Yeah, I could bring that...still, if these guys took out four military mages, they've gotta be tougher than goblins! I'll need the heavy artillery."

When Bren asked his question about collateral damage, Deezy nodded and pointed at him. This was a very important point he was making!

4 Mages dead and 1 million jewels on offer. She popped the last of her lunch into her mouth and began to rummage through her pockets. She knew she had a map in there somewhere. Keys, spare change, bandana, last weeks shopping list, throwing knife (and god only knows why that was there....).... Aha! Map! The little square was withdrawn and unfolded with a flourish. The map itself is practically covered in annotations and little doodles. Little cartoony scowling dragon faces here dates and times there and what appeared to be gibberish spread throughout.

Hmm. It had been a while since she was last in around Mistal. Maybe something new might have cropped up? The Jewels would be handy to have regardless. AND she might get to fight something interesting. Still though.....

15 hours ago, Mitsuko said:

"Hey, on a totally unrelated note, did you know there are some rare ghost mushrooms that grow on and around Mount Mistal? They would be great in this dish I am making. We should go collect some. And bring your gear in case we bump into some raiders."

"SOLD! When do we leave?" 

The money would be nice, but not really what she was 

"Well we can just play it by ear, I suppose."sighs Luci as  she sends a tendril of hair to take the keys to the van from Evie.

"I'll drive. Whoever is going, get what ever your going need and meet me out front. We leave in thirty minutes."

Luci stands and with a nod to Master Cain, heads to the garage to get the van ready.

Master Caine shook his head.  "That hasn't been stated, so try to keep the collateral damage to a minimum.  I'm sure if you go overboard, they'll simply take it out of your fee."   He sighed.  

With little more fanfare, the group seemed to temporarily break up as everyone got what they needed and then headed to the Garage and the magical van the guild maintained.  It wasn't new, but it was well kept, and far better than walking or riding on horseback.   Once everyone was loaded up, They set out with Luci at the wheel.   

An hour later, they were well away from the city, with another two or three hours transit time.  Luci looked to the other wizards, and nodded.  "i'll keep driving, but someone else needs to supply the magic, or I won't be able to do too much when we get there.   If we take turns, it won't be so hard on one person, So who's going next?"

"I'll do it!" Deezy immediately volunteers. "Powering magic machines is my specialty!"

She loved the whole 'magic van' thing, and a chance to see it working was not to be missed. Not to mention, despite mostly working magic through devices, she had an enormous amount of magical energy available to her.

"And you promise to do it without blowing up the van?" Darrik asked. In a friendly tone sure, but he was downright serious about that question. There was that time where Deezy had done this with a similar vehicle before, gotten over-excited and well... the overall damages had taken a lot out of the fee, and earned the Master a new yelling session with the Council. And it had really screwed up their escape.

Brennan was fast asleep.  It was all he did, but some of his peers had to admit it was almost an enviable trait: the ability to sleep anywhere.  Kaori pushed him off of her every once in awhile with her shoulder and bought her a few more moments to write in her journal.  Thankfully he wasn't a drooler.

"If you get tired, Deezy, I don't mind taking over for awhile.  I don't mind."  She was hard to hear over the sound of the van and some were wondering is she had any other volume settings.

"Sounds good! I'll letcha know!" Deezy replied as she squirmed her way over to the spot where she needed to be to do the thing she needed to do to power the car to carry the team to do the mission to get the cash!

"Too bad we can't power it in our sleep," she added with a grin. "Your boyfriend there could take care of it for us!"

"Oh, no...," Kaori attempted to defend herself as she turned beet red.  "We're not-"

The van jerked an everyone tumbled about, Brennan included although it did little to wake him up.  As everyone regained their composure Kaori found Brennan's head nestled comfortably in her lap, nuzzling the comforting denim of her skirt with a pleased grin on his face as he settled in for a more comfortable sleep.

She wasn't sure what do to.  A bit of panic set in as she considered what Luci would do to her if she saw them like this... she sure didn't seem pleased a moment ago, but then again... when did she ever seem pleased?  "Um, she looked around for help.  Anyone?  Some help please?"

She's gonna kill me... she's gonna kill me... this is terrible... my serious mission for the guild, the Master has entrusted important business to me... and Luci is going to kill my magical career before it's even begun!  Uhhh!  You sleeping idiot... get OFF!  Don't turn around... don't turn around... please don't turn around...

As Brennan got more comfy, she got more embarrassed.

Darrik let out a sigh as he saw what was going on, Kaori panicked as Brennan's sommulent repose trapped her in an embarrassing position.  With a wicked thought, it occurred to him a way that might help boost the summoner's confidence. "There's only one thing that can be done, Kaori. Smack him. Keep smacking him until he wakes up, Kaori."

Mutt was humming along to her music, only keeping an eye on what was happening peripherally. Sliding the headphones down around her neck when she saw Kaori's mounting distress. She nods vigorously to Darricks comment.

"Yeah. Only way to be sure. He'll sleep through anything less than violence." She cracked the knuckles on her right hand, the leather of her glove creaking ominously with a beaming smile on her face. "I can help, if you want!"

The banter, teasing, and conversations continued as they drove on, after another hour another wizard took their turn providing power, and so on.  Eventually they arrived at Mount Mistal, and the scene was shocking.  A town known mostly as tourist trap for its hotsprings, and many hotels, the streets were deserted, and many of the buildings had seen heavy damage, apparently from fire.  After driving through town and seeing no one, they saw a plume of smoke from one of the Inns that was on the mountainside.   Given that it was already midday, and they lacked any information, The collective decision was made to check out the inn.  As they pulled up to the main gate, an Older woman, easily into her seventies, emerged from the door, and looked somewhat startled.  She beckoned them to her, and spoke.  "Quickly, bring that contraption into the barn, hurry before you're actually seen."

With little choice, they did as she told them, and she brought them within the inn.   "It doesn't seem you were followed, so that's good.  Perhaps you can escape before Iratos and his flunkies come, but it's not safe to walk around in Daylight here."

She seemed to remember something important, and stopped herself.  "Sorry,  I am Lynne Okami, owner of this Inn.   You all seem to have come from somewhere a ways away, how about I fix you some dinner, and you can tell me why you've come."

"Oh, that sounds wonderful ma'am," Kaori's voice rose to a cheerful exuberance that none of her guild mates expected.  Around regular people she seemed perky, up beat, and cheerful although it was obvious her smile was a bit forced.  She found a comfortable spot one of the tables and took a seat.  "I am starving."

"Place seems trashed, if people've been giving you problems, lemme know!  We're from Blaze Heart, I'll totally become their Frienemy with benefists."  Brennan punched the palm of his hand with a wicked yet barely awake look on his face.  The yawn he used to punctuate his statement didn't do much for intimidation.

"Brennan... w-we can't just go around punching everyone," Kaori said softly.  It sounded like she wanted to scold him, but didn't have the courage.  "We're not here to beat up the whole countryside."

"Why not?"  He asked, legitimately not understanding the question.  Kaori's expression grew sorrowful and she let out a whimper while she buried her head in her arms on the table.

Luci found a seat next to Kaori and placed a consoling hand on her back and gave her apat.

"Miss Okami, Lynn, as my companion Kaori says we are from Blaze Heart. I am called Luci Lacuna, These are Brennan, Mutt, Darrick, and Deezy," she indicates each in turn, "and we are here to help with your troubles.

Dinner sounds wonderful then we can fill each other in with what we know." Luci gives a big smile to their hostess who leaves them to go into the kitchens to fix supper for the gang. Once Lynn is out of earshot Luci's smile vanishes and she turns to her companions.

"Kaori and I will stay here, why don't the rest of you check this place out. Keep it quiet and stay out of trouble but if trouble finds you," she looks at Deezy, "call fo help."

"But... fooood..." Brennan protested.  Luci simply glared at him, as if to say 'And?'.  "Ugh, fine.  C'mon everyone let's go have a look around."  He leg overed the table's bench and walked over to the door.  "Mutt why don't you and I take the Eastern side, Darrik and Deezy cover the West side, we'll meet in the middle.  Quicker we do this, the quicker we food, and the food is one thing we can all agree on."

Kaori whimpered softly, mildly afraid to raise her head once she found out Luci was staying with her.  She must be seeking to finish the job she couldn't do in the van.  Everyone was gonna leave and when they got back there would be a lavish feast... but no Kaori!  She was gonna use the guild to get rid of he evidence!  She cried dry tears and whimpered something that sounded like. "I'm surrounded by lunatics..."

"Kaori, pull yourself together. This woman likes you, everyone likes you." Luci uses her real fingers to gently raises Kaori's head from the table so they can see each others eyes. "You need to get as much information out of Lynn as you can while not seeming to be getting information out of her.

So why don't you be a dear and go into the kitchen and see if you can stall her while the rest look around and get on her good side."

Kaori nodded her head, a bit eager to get away.  Frankly, Luci scared the crap out of her.  "I-I'll see what I can do."  She squeaked softly.  She toughened up though, Luci had given her a mission and she couldn't let her down!  If she was ever going to prove herself as a mage of their caliber, she'd need all the successes she could muster.

She straightened her skirt and blouse and took a deep breath before pushing through the doors of the kitchen.  "Miss Lynn?  I-I'm Kaori... I'm sorry, I've just been sitting for hours and I could really use something to do.  There's a lot of us, so I'd love to help out.  Idle hands n' all that."  She offered a smile and was already setting herself to the task of collecting the plates and utensils they'd need.  "Thank you so much for your hospitality by the way, we really do appreciate it.  Um, I hate to pry, but what happened here and who is Iratos?"

Spoiler

Attempting to use Etiquette to weasel some intel from Miss Lynn.

2d6.  4, 2, +6 (Soul, Etiquette Skill) = 12.

At the mention of Lynn calling for help, Deezy brightened and started going through her pouches and pockets. She finally found what she was looking for...a somewhat worse for wear, lightly charred around the edges, but still legible business card.

She went over to the innkeeper and waved it in front of her.

"Klattatech Heavy Industries, for all your troubleshooting needs!" Deezy chirped happily. "We find your trouble...then shoot it!"

The moment the business card was hesitantly taken, the inventor whirled and called out, "C'mon Darrek! WEST SIIIIIIDE!"

Then she was barrelling out the door like someone who had a dozen things to do in the next five minutes.

On 8/29/2017 at 4:12 PM, Brennan said:

"Mutt why don't you and I take the Eastern side, Darrik and Deezy cover the West side, we'll meet in the middle.  Quicker we do this, the quicker we food, and the food is one thing we can all agree on."

"Yosh! Food and answers! My two favourite things!" She punctuates her sentence by slamming her clenched fist into her open palm, completely unaware of Kaori's mounting horror at the flashes of destruction currently dancing through her head. Spinning on one heel, she heads out the door, taking for granted Brennan following behind her.

Looking down on the slightly singed village spreading out ahead of her, she narrows her eyes gazing out at the western side of the village. All right. Time to get to work.

"C'mon Brennan. Maybe these guys will know something 'bout Pops. Sooner we find em, sooner we can talk!"

Mutt and Brennan wee polar opposites.  She was always full of life and energy while he was always lethargic and calm, like a calm breeze.  "Mutt, I highly doubt these guys are gonna know anything about 'Pops'.  He stretched and flexed a bit, trying to wake himself up.  The car ride had been a long one and he was feeling pretty good.  "However," he smirked.  "On the plus side, these guys are in need of a serious boot to ass wake up call."

He slugged her in the arm.  "C'mon Light Bulb, let's go ruin some jerks day."

"Ehhhhhh" she said, one hand wobbling in a so-so gesture. "Maybe, maybe not. But!" Here she raised a single leather clad finger "But, I won't know unless I ask! So. I go, I kick their ass, they tell me stuff. Hopefully what I want to hear, but if not eh." she shrugs indifferently, voice falling slightly. "I've been looking for 7 years. I'm used to disappointment. But I can't not ask, just in case, y'ken?"

She brightens again.

"But failing that, as you said, boot to ass! Yosh! So come on! We got work to do!"

The search outside turned up very little, which was odd in and of itself.  There were no people, Lynne was seemingly alone here with them.   Inside, the Hostess was happy for the help.  ", Kaori, Luci, Please, go ahead there into the second door, its the storage room for the dishes and such, get out the silverware and set the table in the secondary hall in the 3rd door to the left down the hallway." 

As she moved to do so, Lynne surprisingly spoke even as she began preparing some food for them, answering Kaori's question.  "Iratos is a demon that was summoned by the townsfolk.  They were foolish and wished to have the greatest hotsprings around, So they summoned a Fire demon.   He gave them the option to gain his service in granting their wish, but only if they could beat him in games.  Everyone else failed."   

Outside is was Mutt who found it first.  There was another spring, offset from the town.  It didn't smell the same, as the scent of sulfur was much stronger.   As Brennan neared it, he could smell it on the wind now as well.

Archived