IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!

Dave ST

The Mulan comment drew more than a chuckle or two from those gathered.  It was... nice.  The twins smiled, almost at the same time which was creepy and cool all at once.

"Wi," Tomas said to Autumn.  "Our mother is from Atlantis, we are half-bloods.  Atlantean magic combined with the resilience and versatility of humans.  At least, that's what papa would tell us.  I would be happy to tell you about it sometime, although all we have are stories.  Teres and I have never actually been there."

Teres just smiled before reluctantly nodding.  "Our mother doesn't visit often, but when she does, it's around the holiday break.  If you'd like to meet her, I'm sure she'd be happy to talk with you at length.  She's... what is d'word?"

"Ambassador."  Tomas helped her out.

She snapped her fingers.  "Ah, wi.  An Ambassador.  A politician working on relations between Atlantis and d'surface world."

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Our mother is a diplomat," Teres said softly.  "We, are students trying to get to know our peers, something you are working very hard at making difficult for us.  Tomas, would you mind?"

"Not at all."  Tomas smiles softly to the group and steps away over to Keiko.  "There is more to the tour, yes.  But not for you.  They will be going on, you and I will be staying here."

Qi steps up to Tomas as the rest of the group starts away. She places her hand on his forearm. "Please Tomas, remember this is a new and somewhat unsettling change to all of our lives. And those with disabilities often hide their fear of the unknown with  a rough demeanor and with, how do you say it in the west, with acting out."

Qi redirects her attention to Keiko but still speaks to Tomas.

"Especially those who are perceived to be more helpless due to their disability. Sometimes they feel they have more to prove." Qi stresses the word perceived.

She removes her hand and follows after the other kids.

"Thank you Connie, I'll bear that in mind."  He offered her a warm smile.  "Worry not mi bèl [my pretty], she is in no trouble.  We're just going to talk."

Teres and the others moved away from Keiko and Tomas and continued the tour.  "Come, this way.  I'll show d'classrooms.  If you have your schedule on you, I can point you to where you will be having class.  I assure you, this place is not as hard to navigate as you might think...

--==*==--

"So," Tomas smiled.  She was 'blind' so he wasn't making a whole lot of gestures.  "Just you and I, please walk with me.  I've had this talk with students before.  You will say something like 'I was just kidding' and I will say that you were the only one who found it amusing, whereupon we will be at a stalemate.  So tell me, what was it you were trying to do?  Because endearing yourself to my sister and I, you did not.  Now, what I'm not supposed to tell you, is after all of this, we have to go talk to the Headmaster and tell him our opinion of all of you... will you be trouble, will you be a problem, will you work hard, be a bully... all opinions, but it helps him know who to look out for.  I do not traffic in falsehoods or fallacies, plus we are strangers to one another, so please, help me to understand you better so that I do not go and tell the Headmaster something that is false."

Spoiler

Continue with your talking and friendly banter while the 'Keiko Situation' is being handled.  I'll be on hand to reply to the other PCs and I'll probably be introducing you to a few of the other students.

"Cosima and that Curtis guy were pulling all kinds of attitude, and I thought it was funny so I cracked a joke about it," Keiko replied. "That's really it. I'm not 'lashing out,' I'm not 'acting up.' I thought it was funny. If I'm the only one who thought it was funny...I'm okay with that. Don't you think this is all kind of...over the top though?" She waved a hand around in the air. "I just thought it'd break the ice! Sheesh."

They walked through the second floor, passing lockers and classrooms.  The whole of it all seemed a bit intimidating for some, a walk in the halls for others.  Sebastian seemed lost, looking at his schedule and looking at the numbers on the doors.  Curtis, well, he just memorized the entire layout  and the proceeded to wonder which of his new classmates would be his first experiment.  Connie, despite her age, has nigh legendary focus.  If she was nervous, she sure didn't show.  Like a good student, she paid attention and learned.  Cosima tapped away on her phone, updating her status.  She was paying attention, in her own way.  Rick had a pretty good grasp on things.  He took in the sights and the sounds of the school, but just sorta... went with the flow.  Na'Atem Simply took it all in, pondering the turn of events with the knowledge of Atlanteans being at her school.  Riley... well... the poor girl was completely out of her league.  This school was huge and she was thankful there were three of her... she'd need a forth to just remember all this stuff!

Oposite them down the halls strolled a young man, no older than them.  Teres seemed disheartened suddenly, audibly groaning.  He was tall, lanky, but still built like an athlete.  He wore a sleeveless Bulldogs football jersey and simple jeans.  He seemed to have misplaced his belt, however as they were sagging nearly to his knees.  He wore a baseball cap that was tilted sideways, the rim of the cap nearly to his ears.  "Ola mi amigas," he shouted gleefully.

"This is Dan Malroy," Teres introduced him.  "But I should warn you..."

She was suddenly cut off by Dan eyeing Na'Atem.  His eyes were suddenly swollen with interest.  He approached her and looked her up and down with little regard for her personal bubble.  "Gawd damn, girl!  Mmmm Mmm... I gotta say... I wish you was my pinky toe so I could bang you on all my furniture!"

"Yeah...," Teres buried her head in her hand.  "That."

--==*==--

"And who are you to judge them, hm?"  He asked politely.  "Keiko, there are all kinds of people like that here.  Let them be them, and worry about you, because this is not like d'world out there.  Here you are dealing with people who survive engines falling on their chest, throw balls of fire, command d'Earth to shake... people who are capable of bad things when strangers come out from nowhere and start making fun of them.  Did you consider that?"

He sighed.  He wasn't sure if she actually cared, but he continued on.  "Do you know them?  Any of those you just spoke with?  Because they are strangers to me.  Can you look at them and tell yourself for certain that you poking fun at them will not result in them lashing out at you, or worse, someone else gets the brunt of it on accident?  Someone like my sister?  Because if one of them lost it, you could have put her danger, and I do not take that lightly."

"Do not tell me, 'but it didn't'.  I've seen it happen, I've watched students brawl in the yard and walls get smashed, innocent lives get live hurt.  You insulting strangers is exactly how situations like that get started.  Your actions were reckless."  Despite his words, his tone was not in any way laced with anger.  He was simply telling Keiko how things were or could have gone.

"I made a joke," Keiko says. "A joke. If I tell a joke, and they flip out and get violent, then they are the problem. There is such a thing as normal reactions to normal things. I am not going to huddle in a ball and not be myself because someone might get mad at me. And I don't really appreciate you implying that if someone got violent because I poked some fun at them, that it would be my fault. That's not a reasonable reaction."

"And since we're being honest? This whole thing is really weird. I make a joke...which no one seems to mind but you...so you call me out in front of everyone, try to humiliate me, and then threaten to report me to headmaster? What exactly is going on here?"

She stops and turns to face him, though isn't quiiiiite facing the right way.

"What you may see as minor, we do not.  It is as simple as that.  If you do not like being called out in front of others then do not do d'same with your 'jokes'.  I've tried polite, now I will not be so polite.  They are new, we are not.  My sister and I have a job to do and you are ridiculing others with your judgmental humor.  If no one minded then why am I here with you?  Apparently we minded, or have you not been paying any attention?  Enough so that my sister did not want you continuing your brand of humor around her while she was trying to do her job.  You would poke a lion with a stick, and then blame the lion when it retaliates.  This tells me all I need to know about you."

"There are no threats.  I am no bully trying to squeeze you for your milk money.  My sister informed you that your behavior was not appreciated and you continued, going so far as to use our mother to insult us.  It shows that you have no respect for me or her."  He leaned in and gently said, "I do not care for you Keiko.  I do not see us getting along.  If you wish, go see Miss Childs and I'm sure she will see to arranging you a tour if you are interested in one.  Have a good day."  Tomas turned around and began walking away.  Still he did not seem angered, in fact his walk was casual as he pulled his smartphone from his pocket and began texting someone, his sister most likely.

"Yay, we find common ground at last," Keiko sighed. She ducked around behind a bush and reached out her mind to the wiggling field of light around her, copying the light coming away from her with the light coming at her...making it, in effect, 'skip over' the spot where she was. Now she could take a look around and not have to deal with anyone...which felt like exactly what she needed right at this moment.

Updating her social media status and taking a few selfies - Psychokinesis and a Genie-bestowed gift ensured every single pic looked awesome and professionally done - Cosima was mildly miffed. Their guides were pleasant and engaging but for the most part, she was finding her fellow first year students wanting.

With the exception of Sebastian, their introductions had consisted of little more than a name, and the city they were from if they were feeling generous. Sebastian had revealed more, telling them a little of himself and where he was from, even alluding to his reasons for being allowed to attend Claremont. The dour Curtis had mentioned his capabilities with all the panache of an Wiki page reference listing while eying her with all the personal interest of mathematical equation.

So she had spoken a bit more about herself and her family, even demonstrating her powers to a limited extent. She was proud of her family and knew herself to be very fortunate in her life, and was unapologetic about it. Some people seemed to take issue with that fact, though Cosima had yet to understand why. Her having an amazing life didn't detract others from having one as well, even if they were unlikely to be on the same level. She had even made it clear to everyone that they all being fellow students at Claremont, addressing her simply as Cosima was fine, adding any flattering qualifier afterwards at their discretion.

Sometimes, you had to share a little to get others to share a little in turn. That unfortunately didn't seem to be working out so well for her at the moment. And then, there were those who shared too much.

Cosima gave a delicate shudder at Dan Malroy's... arrival, such as it was, and what passed as flirting with Autumn. With the anonymity of the internet, she was well acquainted with far worse online. But she expected just a tad more decorum in person. She didn't mind sexual interest directed her way, reveled in it truth as one who had gone from say, a generous 6 to a stupendous 12, but please, be a little more classy, or at least clever, about it.

"Lovely," Cosima murmured dryly. "Living in what I presume is a cardboard box or possibly a jail cell, I wouldn't thing banging your anything on anything would be an issue."

Teres looked to Cosima, catching some of her mumbling while Autumn was left to fend for herself against Dan.  "Dan, is... well, Dan.  He's intolerable, but he's been through a lot in his life.  Social graces are not his strongest talent.  He's harmless, though, if you can overlook what spews from his lips.  That's about as charming as he gets, however."

Qi frowned at the vulgar display of this Malroy creature, but her frown deepened at the reaction, or rather lack of reaction from Teres.

"Excuse me Teres, I am new to this country, but why is it that this boy, " She uses her open hand palm up to indicate Malroy as if he were one of Curtis's specimens, "is allowed to sexually harass a student and be called harmless, when Keiko, who made somewhat mild jests, albeit also in bad taste, but much less harmful than what  this creature has said to Autumn in such a very rude and crude manner. I do not understand. Can you explain?"

"Certainly," Teres offered.  "The first key difference is that I asked Keiko to stop, but instead she chose to continue.  It was not so much her humor that earned her a removal from this tour, but her lack consideration for others.  Dan, as I was telling Cosima, has... issues.  This school is helping with those issues, and has come a long way from what I understand.  If Autumn is truly offended by his behavior then I will report him to the Miss Childs... again.  I tolerate it because I know Dan and I know a bit of why he is the way he is.  For those who are sick, certain concessions are granted."

Na'Atem was taken aback slightly, mostly by the invasion of her personal space. She listened to him with a confused look, and took a moment to remember the more vulgar usage of 'bang'. She then blinked, gave him a once over and composed herself.

"You know, wearing your sagging pants like that means that you are... 'wanting to be the girl'... so to speak. It is an affectation of dress appropriated from prison culture. So you need not perpetuate this ridiculous, comical act where you absurdly objectify women just to hide your own sexual insecurity or sexuality. Homosexuality and such is largely accepted now." she retorted calmly.

Na'Atem then turned to Teres and asked,

"I assume transforming classmates into small amphibians would be... frowned upon.. by the staff?", though it was not entirely clear if she was serious or not.

Fo

20 minutes ago, Dave ST said:

For those who are sick, certain concessions are granted."

Qi mulled this over while Autumn  verbally sparred with the offending man child.

"But Keiko is blind. Should concessions not be made for her? After all, if all are to be treated fairly then should not all be treated equally?"

"She could hear people say no just fine." Curtis added his two bits, though he was speaking of fact and really would have preferred to be moving on. "In any case," he told Dan, "we are on a tour and would like to be free of your interruptions. So do leave us be."

"Ouch, girl... damn."  Dan smiled and gave her another once over.  "You got some fire in you girl, I like it.  But, y'know..." Dan's form shifted and wavered as skin moved about and his clothing changed color and interlaced with itself into a new cut and design.  In a matter of moments of Dan was an attractive female but not much different than how he looked a moment ago, basically just a female version of his male appearance.  "I could totally go both ways for ya."

"Dan," Tere now stepped in, her expression was serious like a scolding matriarch.  "That's enough."

Before Dan could defend himself Sebastian stepped forward.  "I think you owe the lady an apology," he stood close to FemDan.  "Where I'm from we don't talk to a lady like that."

Again Dan's image shifted and in a moment there were two Sebastian's chest to chest, right down to the same outfit.  Glaring at one another like they were gonna throw down like a common street brawl.  There tension was thick and Sebastian didn't seem a great diplomat...

"You get the whole package with that trick, or just the good looks" he asked, popping each of his knuckles as he made fists at his side.  "Because if it's the second answer, I guarantee you Dan, you don't want these hands."

There was an awkward moment.  Teres' eyes lost their color, turning a solid white as she prepared to handle the situation if things turned violent.  Dan/Sebastian suddenly smiled brightly and raised his hands in surrender.  "Hey... hey, come on now.  It's all good.  Seriosuly, I'm just playing... I'm kidding.  "I'm sorry Asian girl... I'm just teasing... you give as good as you get, I like it..." He became Dan again in a few ripples of shifting flesh and clothing.  "I'mna... just go.   Nice meeting you all, later Teres!"  He swiftly stumbled down the hall in a rush to get away from the entire scene, suddenly moving like he was a victim through that entire exchange.

The color returned to Teres' eyes, and she sighed, waving for everyone to 'bring it in'.  "It's not my place to contribute to d'rumor mill, or to share Dan's personal business... but Connie, I believe you do deserve some broader explanation.  Damn's father would beat him with a switch in order to 'purge  d'devil'," she used air quotes as she addressed the group.  "Out of him once his powers manifested.  I'm not sure, but I believe he was only six or seven at d'time.  To deal with the pain he developed multiple personalities.  Ms. Gomez, the counselor here has been working with him for years, since Claremont West opened actually.  He's finally discovered d'real Dan... but has an incredibly hard time relating to others on a social level, but he's working on it.  That is what I mean by 'sick'.  Keiko is not sick, she is blind."

"Now, Sebastian," Teres crossed he arms.  "Will I need to ask you to leave the group as well?  We do not incite brawls in the hallway."

"Apologies ma'am, won't happen again,"  He was scratching his head like an ogre being scolded.

"Hmm," With a raised brow she looked him over.  "We'll see.  Come, let me show you d'theater department... since you will all be required to put on a play for your first semester.  Don't worry, it can't be any worse than when my brother went up there, ugh, he was terrible.  He gets stage fright something awful."

"Hmm," Cosima mused, pursing her lips thoughtfully as she considered Teres' words and watched Dan hastily leave, feeling a faint twinge of guilt. While she would question someone's fashion sense, taste in music, and the like, she did try not to disparage them for their socio-economic status or the circumstances of their birth and early life. She had a very fortunate life and she wished most other people - with a few exceptions of course - the best lives they could manage.

"Thank you for explaining some of Dan's... peculiarities, Teres," she murmured. She found his capabilities intriguing. The shapeshifting had interesting possibilities, but she was most impressed by his ability to alter his clothes as well. Unlimited fashion on hand, Dan just needed someone with taste and a good eye to teach him some style, someone like herself. "I will try to extend him some latitude in regards to his behaviour." She gave Teres a grin. "And perhaps teach him a bit of style."

Cosima brightened at the mention of a theater production. While not an actual actress like her sister Vida, she had been on several Reality TV programs and had made a cameo or played a bit part in a movie or two. She knew how to perform and was perfectly at ease being the center of attention or having eyes on her.

"Fabulous!" Cosima gushed, sashaying after Teres, heels clicking smartly. "Are we limited by the resources of the Theater Department and our own ingenuity and powers, or can we seek outside... consultants, shall we say? I know people in the biz. And subject matter, can we choose anything we like?"

He had been about to say something, much as Bastion had, but since he took his form, well better to let him reply.  "Well, his abilities are pretty cool, and he certainly seems to be comfortable with himself.  I guess giving him a chance is the least any of us can do.  Still that blunt honesty mixed with vulgarity will take abit of getting used to.   Even in public schools it wasn't quite like that."   

Rick smiled.  "A play?  God it's been years.   I was a kid the last time I was in one.  Since then I've generally just helped behind the scenes, when time permitted."   He was intrigued by it, if anything.  They had to do it, so they might as well enjoy said production.

Curtis' considerations undertook another shift. This made Dan more pitiable than annoying. Another note, on a more colder, logical element to file away - potential links in certain cases between mental disorders and use/possession of meta-powers? This too was forced away by the mention of a theatrical performance requirement. "I assume some of us will be working as stage crew and not actors?"

Leave acting in front of an audience to someone who already had a habit of it, like Cosima Vandersteen, Curtis already decided. If he had to participate, he could whip up plenty of special effects, staging and props for the benefit of whatever high schools had people perform.

Omg, omg, omg, he's gonna rape her and then she's gonna be a pregnant teen and oh god now they're gonna kill each other and we're all gonna die and oh, no it's okay now nevermind.

Riley2 and Riley3 had jumped out of their seats at the first shot of adrenaline from their prime, but before they could get more than a step or two out the room it was all over. Both rolled their eyes and headed back to their respective tasks. Seriously? Are you going to jump at each and every little thing?

The ones that scare me, yes!

Great, we're gonna spend the whole year looking like we're groundhogs.  The extra Riley's snickered in the prime's mind and then a second shot of terror ran through her. 

Oh God, we have to put on a play. I'm out, called it! One of you has to do it!

"A play? I've never, um, done that before."

"Then this will be your first time, Riley!" Cosima squealed enthusiastically, and she seemed genuine about it as she looped an arm through Riley's and used the other to envision a stage before them. "It can be such fun, especially if they have a good costume department." She grinned brightly. "And if they don't, I know people. Half the fun of being on stage or on screen are the outfits. Being your first time, don't worry about being good, just try to have a good time, and the next time will be better."

Cosima gave the boys an askance glance. She fully understood it took more than just those in front of the screen or on the stage to make a good production and she truly valued the work they did. But why ever would want to behind the scenes when you could be in the scene? "Why ever would you want to be behind the stage when you can be on the stage as well?"

"I was in my 4th grade Christmas play."  Sebastian said.  "I was the, uh... North Star... so I just stood there with this really," he chuckled at the memory, half laughing, half talking. "Really bad cardboard star slung over my dirty football uniform because I just came from pop-warner practice and didn't have time to change.  Pads n' all.  Still had the black on my eyes... no lines but man, I had stage freight like you wouldn't believe..."

"Were you guys any good up there?"  Riley managed to ask nervously.  He and Rick were... so... so... okay the Riley's really didn't have the right word for it, but there were a lot of teenage hormones cheering at being let loose from the farm.

"Oh, god no," he laughed.  The levity carried some of them along for the ride and they shared in the moment, laughing along with him.  "We were so bad.  It was a train wreck, but a funny one.  We were in fourth grade trying to ad lib forgotten lines... a complete nightmare.  I was pretty depressed about it afterwards, we worked hard, y'know?  But my mom was all like: 'laugh it off Sebastian.  See the humor and learn to laugh as much as you can, it helps to have a surplus when the bad times arrive'.  Next year though, same star... not one lick of stage freight."

"A play!?!" Qi called excitedly which surprised the rest of the kids since she had seemed so reserved during the entire tour.

Seeing their looks she explained. "I saw a Play once when I was little. It was festival and I was still allowed to go to the village, I was four or five, I think. There were all sorts of fireworks and costumes and a sort of platform had been placed in the center of the village. It was surrounded on all sides by heavy curtains.."

" That's a stage." helped Rick.

Qi smiled at him and nodded at him. "Thank you.

I remember the curtains in front opening and four people, three women and a man, They came out and talked and danced and changed costumes many times pretending to be different people, so it seemed like there were many more of them.

I don't know what the play was or that is what it was in truth but I remember someone calling it a play. I have always remembered that day fondly.  I was there with my brother." Qi grew quiet

"I think i would like to do that. Be in our play. If some one will show me how?"

The big sky blue customized Humvee pulled into the parking lot near admissions a little too fast. The squeal of the oversize tires drew the looks of a lot of those, both student and faculty, walking along the sidewalks, and even a few parents dropping their precious cargoes off.

Spoiler

tats truck.jpg

Claremont was a special school and all of those attending were special kids and not the short bus kind.

So when Tatiana Antonovna Balankova arrived she did so with the intention of drawing as much attention as she could.

First out of the hulking vehicles driver side door came her exquisite left foot wearing a very inappropriate 4 inch stiletto followed by the long shapely leg attached, only a couple of large tattoos covering of the bare thigh. Then both legs on the ground she came around the huge door slamming it casually and revealing the rest of her. Tight tight low rider denim shorts cut so high that a good portion of her ass cheeks were exposed, enough to make the average bikini blush. She was wearing long a Black muscle shirt with some demonic heavy metal emblem on the front with deep cutout sides revealing a taught flat belly and the hint of her smallish yet perfectly round breasts which were themselves barely contained by a simple grey tube top worn under the shirt. Tattoos on arms, bracelets of gold and platinum, rings on every finger sometimes more than one. An angelic face that rarely ever smiled, pierced lip and nose ring, both ears visible with almost as many piercings as she wore rings on her fingers. Her two toned hair, golden blonde center stripe with waist long brown dreads piled up and tied at the back of her head.

She was a sight to behold and she knew it. She casually tossed the keys the the twenty something man who had gotten out of the passenger side of the Humvee and came around the front of the huge truck. Yuri casually snatched them from the air and smiled at the little girl as he walked past her. “Don't scratch the paint Yuri, and don't be late classes are over at 3:30, I don't want to have to stay here one minute longer than necessary"

The bodyguard looked around and saw nothing that really could be a threat so he nodded an affirmative to his employers only daughter. “Da, Miss Tatiana Antonovna, I will be here on time don't worry, Have good day ." He climbed into the big vehicle, started it up and drove away not squealing the tires.

Tat watched her truck head out driven by the bodyguard and mused that it really would have looked so much better painted black like her father had wanted it. But she had demanded and thrown a fit until he relented to have it painted the color it was. She had done that just to piss him off.

She looked back at he school entrance and relishing the stares that followed her, walked to the entrance shaking her ass all the way.

Today was the first day of school and her birthday, she was sixteen now and this was a new school. That Special School.

“Miss Balankova.” Tat woke up from her day dreamy walk to find a large, African-American man who looked like he hated everyone and everything, blocking her path scowling at her or more likely her skimpy outfit.  His suit was perfectly tailored his head was shaved and he looked like he worked out nine days a week. In other words he was intimidating as fuck and kinda sexy all at once.

Tat stopped and let the big purse drop from her shoulder and placed it in fron of her covering her lower torso. She gave him a look of contriteness before answering. “Yeah?”

“You are late. You missed orientation and the grounds tour. We have rules here Miss Balankova and schedules, both of which you as a student must follow. Do I make myself clear Miss Balankova?”

Wow, Tat thought, this guy is a serious hard-ass, father would probably like him. “Yes sir, perfectly.” she replied then crinkled her brow. “But who are you?”

"You. Are. Adorable!" Cosima told Sebastian, punctuating each word with a tap on his chest with a pair of long-nailed fingers, her grin warm and... something. "Smart woman, your mother. I do hope you try for a part with lines this time though. Tall and handsome as you are, you can be so much more than set dressing, though of course, there's nothing wrong with some eye candy."

She winked up at the big country boy then smiled indulgently at Connie told them about the play she had seen as a child. She must've had a very sheltered life, Cosima thought. She couldn't remember the last time she had had such a sense of wonder for something so mundane. She had been to the theater and opera many times now, and while she enjoyed it - Hamilton was amazing - she just didn't feel that wonder.

"I would love to show you the ropes, Connie was it?" Cosima exclaimed, linking her other arm with the Chinese girl's as her expensive smartphone - radiating a faint pink light - floated in the air in front of her, Connie, and Riley, clicking away taking candid shots, #theplaysthething. "I've been in plays before at the other private schools I attended, but Reality TV is what really gave me the experience. Trust me, it's harder to be the self people expect or want to see on screen than you think."

She'd been on TV since she was a tween, trotted on screen for her mother's storylines on The Real Housewives of Emerald City, then as the baby sister on The Royal Vandersteens. But her profile had risen sharply when she started dropping the extra weight after her industrial accident when she was fourteen and then with her gorgeous curves blossoming with puberty and genie magic when she was fifteen.

Cosima was considering her own show on YouTube and Snapchat - with an accompanying curated app of course - taking a look at food and fashion and fun around the world. She was an hourglass now, but loved good food and desserts as much as ever, and even better, didn't have to worry about ruining her figure. She shuddered at the thought of all the time her sisters spent in the gym or exercising to stay in shape.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:26 PM, Tatiana Antonovna Balankova said:

Wow, Tat thought, this guy is a serious hard-ass, father would probably like him. “Yes sir, perfectly.” she replied then crinkled her brow. “But who are you?”

"I am Headmaster Steele," He said grimly.  "Allow me to illuminate you to the precarious situation you now find yourself in.  Late, first day.  Dress Code violations, first day.  Attitude, first day.  You're already on a list that I assure you you want to be off of as soon as possible.  However, you have found me a rather good mood today," He adjusted his tie around the mighty oak he called a 'neck'.  "So I'm going to 'strongly encourage' you to consider some changes to your wardrobe and meet up with your class as soon as possible."  He looked at his phone, possibly checking the time, then back at Tat.  "I believe they are heading to the theater department."

--==*==--

They walked as they talked.  Teres pointed out class rooms and offered small history lessons here and there, but for the most part the entire as dreadfully dull.  It was fairly obvious that not even Teres was all that interested in doing it.  She didn't mind doing it for Headmaster Drumm, he was pretty cool, but this new guy?  Yeah, no... there seemed to many processes and paperwork involved in just showing people around.  Why did he need assessments and why did this whole thing need to be scripted and on a schedule... ugh...

"And here we are," the cocoa skinned beauty pushed open the large double doors and the entirety of the theater opened up to them.  Rows and rows of seats all upholstered in red velvet as a massive freshly waxed stage sat at the front of the large room.  More red velvet in the form of curtains were pulled to the let and right by golden ropes.  A city scene was erected in the back of the stage, a left over from a previous production no doubt.  This place was certainly no Carnagie Hall, but it was the closest some were ever going to get to it.

"Ah!" A voice rose up from seemingly nowhere, like a ghost haunting the theater, a very cheerful ghost.  "Miss DeClouet!  You have more aspiring thespians for me, have you?"  An aging man rounded the span between the curtains of the stage and stage left.  He seemed in his fifties or sixties with greying hair and mirthful smile.  His sweater vest was right out of the eighties, but somehow he rocked it.

"I have," Teres smiled brightly.  She seemed very fond of the man.  "This is the new class, I thought you might..."

"I most certainly would," He approached them and gave entire crowd a once over.  "I love it.  Love them.  Yes!  Ugh, this semester is going to be so lit, you guys have no idea.  I can see it now..."  He held up his hands like a screen, he glared into them like he was seeing what was to be...

"Cats?"  Teres asked.  A wry grin forming on her lips.  "Rent?  Le' Miserables?"

He gave her a glare that whispered 'hush your mouth girlfriend'.  "Very funny.  No!  I'm thinking..."  He glared at Connie, appraising her, then to Rick and finally Sebastian.  "The Princess Bride..." He then noticed that all his prospective female leads were Asian.  "With noodles.  And machine guns."  He swept low into a bow and extended his hand.  "Hello to all of you!  I am Professor Keating.  Come now don't be shy, I must know all of you..."

Without a doubt this guy was either the craziest, or coolest dude they'd ever met...

"Khorosh yebat'" Tat muttered as she opened her bag and drug out her gym suit. Holding the sweats up for the Headmaster to inspect "Will this do, ...Headmaster?"

She can't help but give Steele, a slightly wicked smile.

A furrow appeared between his eyes. He didn't bother looking at the clothes. "Put them on Miss Balankova," He pointed off to his left. "The theater is that way"

Tatiana dropped her bag and stepped into the loose Sweatpants and pulled the Shirt on over her other tops. It would be warm but if she got expelled Father would not be pleased no not at all. She changed her shoes out for sneakers as well then ran off before she angered the bull even more.

A few minutes later she found the Theater and went in where she saw a group of kids about her age down by a cool stage with some old guy who dressed like Mr Rogers.

Qi ran her hand over the red velvet her eyes wide with wonder. She had never seen a room like this and the stage, the hanging curtains with their intricate layers, the light fixtures and the Orchestra pit. It was beautiful and majestic, and magical.

And the old man in the sweater, she watched as he animatedly had his short verbal spar with Teres and couldn't really follow what he was saying but something about the man lightened her heart. There was a familiarity about him and even though they were nothing alike she was reminded Mast Chao.

55 minutes ago, Dave ST said:

"Very funny.  No!  I'm thinking..."  He glared at Connie, appraising her, then to Rick and finally Sebastian.  "The Princess Bride..." He then noticed that all his prospective female leads were Asian.  "With noodles.  And machine guns."  He swept low into a bow and extended his hand.  "Hello to all of you!  I am Professor Keating.  Come now don't be shy, I must know all of you..."

Smiling for the first time since she had come o America Qi leaned over and tapped Rick on the arm. Rick leans over and Qi whispers a question "What do noodles and machine guns have to do with a wedding?"

2 hours ago, 齐刘 - Qí Liú said:

Smiling for the first time since she had come o America Qi leaned over and tapped Rick on the arm. Rick leans over and Qi whispers a question "What do noodles and machine guns have to do with a wedding?"

Relief flooded through Riley at the whispered question - at least she wasn't the only one here totally lost. Oh, she recognized some of the plays named off, and the crazy people around her seemed nice enough about it, but really . Had she gone to a foreign country without realizing it? It totally felt like it and her private facebook posts were definitely going to be weird for a while.

She squared her shoulders and smiled at Professor Keating. "Hello, I'm Riley Mills. Nice to meet you."

Now, Curtis had the Princess Bride DVD back home, he enjoyed it, but this... well. Professor Keating was creative and unusual. Normally, from Curtis' perspective, the former trait was well and good, and the latter an invitation for worthwhile study and investigation. For once now, he was seeing those traits as... disconcerting. That was new. At least school would be more interesting than he previously thought.

"Curtis Shane. I suppose if you want machine guns I can craft effective replicas."

"Ah!"  Professor Keating looked in Tats direction as she entered the theater.  "One more welcome soul into my parlor of Cherise whimsy!"  There seemed no bringing this man down from hi high on life.  "Please, please, enter and be welcome!"

He addressed Rick and Connie, clapping his hands together with a 'pop' as air escaped between them.  "No need to look online students that are still strangers to me, if, and I do mean IF you decide to do The Princess Bride as your work of stagecraft, then we will watch it and study it together.  The Blu-Ray has all kinda of amazing behind the scenes stuff, it's fantastic!"

He spun about on his heels facing Curtis, he turned and smiled to Riley.  "Curtis!  Riley!  Splendid to meet the both of you!  The ability to follow basic and simple instruction... it's the building block of the performing arts.  However, before you get your creative juices in a tizzy, we'll all go over options.  We've until Christmas, but I admire your gusto."

• Matt changed the title to IC: S1:E1 - Welcome to Hero High!
  • Matt unpinned this topic

Archived