Aberrant: Weirder Stuff - Chapter I Homecoming

WS ST

"Well that escalated quickly."   He said in abit of surprise.   He registered Sean's surprise, and Sara's confusion and winced inwardly,  And the awkward level just went over 9000...

The psychic cascade as what had happened registered with everyone who saw it, it was like being in the eye of a hurricane.   A moment of perfect calm Then a cacophony of frenzied thoughts on what they'd seen happen at the nerd table.   It was like someone smacked him in the head with a hammer.

Abel looked at the others, and rubbed his temples.   "Welcome to being the absolute number One talk of the school.  Everyone even Faculty's gonna know about that in five minutes, tops."

Inwardly he was hoping really hard, for Sean's sake, that Sara didn't just get up and bolt.   That'd crush him, and give the bullies even more ammunition to use when picking on him.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Shit! I'm dead. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna be killed!

Sean's face got progressively pinker and redder with each moment that more and more heads turned their way, his turquoise eyes were so wide they should white all the way around. He'd wanted to make a gesture that would surprise, even shock, his friends some, and now it had blown up in his face. He never expected Sara's lips would be so soft yet... electric. He wanted to run, to bolt, and he could hardly hear anything beyond the roar of blood in his ears.

But while he was very possibility terminally embarrassed by the situation, he didn't want Sara to think he was embarrassed that people knew they were going to Homecoming together. He wasn't. How they had found out though was another thing. But he'd be damned if he was going to run from it. He licked lips gone dry and with painfully obvious casualness he sat back down, neither moving closer nor further away from Sara.

He picked up his chicken fajita, took a bite and what seemed like a long time chewing. The cafeteria was eerily quiet before the silence was shattered by his sister Laurelei.

"You're going to Homecoming with Sara? Hutchins?!" she practically squealed for all to hear.

"Yeah, I'm taking Sara Hutchins to Homecoming." Sean swallowed, his voice higher and breathier than usual as he tried to affect an unruffled tone. He turned to Sara and offered her a smile that was more sickly than confident. It made him look remarkably young. "Any ideas about where you want to go or want to do for the after-party?"

Sara was stunned by so many conflicting emotions raging through her brain, but one thing was center and that was the electric tingle on her lips. She could hear voices but the words didn't register until Sean asked her a question.

9 hours ago, Sean Cassidy said:

"Any ideas about where you want to go or want to do for the after-party?"

Sean flinched as she glared at him and she shot out of her chair.

Sara stood so suddenly her chair screeched back. Her face was suddenly red with anger. How dare he kiss her (but god his lips were so soft and those eyes). She was about to give him the verbal ass kicking of his life and maybe even the more physical kind when she noticed the table behind theirs.

All those kids, some she could even name, were twisted around in their chairs staring, like this was all some CW Show. Her gaze traveled around the lunch room and saw that damn near everyone was staring even the faculty. Only seconds had passed, it felt like an eternity.

She glared at the kids and hissed at them. "What the fuck are you staring at?  Mind your own fucking business."

She sat back down and scrapped her chair back to the table. Looked at her new friends, at Taleena, Samantha's sister, sitting with Alec staring at her wide eyed. Of fuck she thought as she grabbed her Dr.Pepper wishing it were something alcoholic.

She turned her dark Brown eyes on Sean it was still a glare but not as hard as the one she had given the table behind.

"What the fuck were you thinking?"

"Um..."

Sean was still tensed for flight, but as it didn't appear Sara was going to immediately deck him, he very slowly started to relax. Still, he kept his eyes on hers or no ones, not wanting to experience all the stares shooting their way. "I wanted the reveal to be a surprise?" he lamely tried to explain. "Didn't, uh, expect it to be, er... go like that. In my head, it was suppose to be surprising, funny, and cute. No... this."

Sean's slender shoulders slumped. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. I just - just simply saying I was going with you to Homecoming seemed so... boring, banal for something that is so unexpected from me. And if I couldn't surprise everyone at Homecoming itself, well, I wanted do, I dunno, something now. Gods, I'm an idiot."

Those eyes. She could just fall into them and get lost. Her heart was fluttering and heat building. She looked at his face at those perfect lips. She wanted to kiss them.

What was coming over her for gods sake she barely knew Sean.

"We'll talk about this later" Sara said to Sean looking him in hte eye then She pointedly turned to the rest of the table.

"Yes Sean and I are...planning to go to the dance together. As for a party. I know there's going to be one out at Aloe Lake at the old camp site the boy scouts used to use. A bunch of seniors are putting it together. We could go there. There's gonna be beer and well weed,  probably food and softdrinks too. It's up to you guys."

If human eyes could change shape, Kia's would be heart-shaped right now.

She made a little, "awwww" that would normally be reserved for seeing a kitten trying desperately not to fall asleep, or all curled up with a few siblings in a tiny basked.

"You guys are so perfect together..."

Mercifully she snapped out of it quickly and added, "The party sounds like fun too!"

Well. That was.... a thing.

<Huh. So this is what it's like when a computer blue screens>.

It was a strange sensation. Almost visceral in how his train of thought had ground to a halt. He could almost feel the gears slipping.  He shared a wide eyed look with Taleena. At least it wasn't just him. Although..... looking around the cafateria, it seemed everyone was in the same boat. He blinks as his thought process finally realigns. Right. That's going to make the rest of the week really interesting. He made a note to try and stick by either Sean or Sara as much as possible over the coming days to act as a buffer for their.... admirers. He didn't think Sean appreciated just how much of a hornets nest he had just kicked. He'd talk it over with the others once they had a moment.

"I'd like it if we could do that, yeah. What about you" turning to Taleena to see her nodding. "Awesome. Count us in." Drawing further attention to the elephant in the room was probably pointless. Lord knew they'd all appreciate the normalcy they could get before the ravenous hordes descended.

"That's, that's fine," Sean readily agreed, willing to agree with Sara about nearly anything to make up for the embarrassment he'd inflicted on them. "Sounds like... fun?"

Privately, Sean was a bit disconcerted. A party thrown by seniors would likely be more exciting, even if he didn't drink or smoke pot, but he'd look even younger by comparison. Sigh. Being different was hard. He wasn't sure what Sara meant they had to talk either, but it didn't sound particularly good, but she had said they were still going to Homecoming together. So...

Felix sighed. He had a bad feeling about this. Sean really did turn a lot of heads in this decision. Felix just hopped that both Sean and Sara would survive this without too much trouble. If not then he fear more for Sean then Sara.

Yet at the same time Felix was glad for Sean. Sean was following what he desire no matter what it cost. Felix just hopped that Sara could at least respect that much at least. "I wish the best of luck for you two." Felix said a bit shocked at the revelation. "As for the party I am a bit concern due to.... well certain substances being there. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, just concern. Aren't such things well not allow by us at this age? Aren't you worried about getting in trouble? I am not going to use them and like the fact you said there was alternative stuff as well. I am just concern that's all." Felix said softly.

Lilly was somewhat surprised, by then again, not really. She figure there was something more to Sean inviting Sara to the game. Hell, she even tried to talk him up a bit to Sara, figuring that was the case. She didn't want to bring any more attention or possible embarrassment to the situation than there already was so she just shrugged with a smile.

"Cool." she said with a smile.

She then looked to Felix with chuckled.

"Dude. Chill out. Just because it's there does not mean you have to touch it. Like, I don't 'partake' myself, but if others want to, then cool for them. And if we're all there, not nobody is going to getting pressured or anything, so relax man." she said to her somewhat brooding, artist friend.

Changing subjects, Lilly looked to Kia and Abel.

"Hey, since it's a half-day tomorrow, Sandy and I were going to go down to Great Falls for some shopping and stuff. Like I need to get a dress and stuff, and we were figuring we might get something to eat and catch a movie too. You guys wanna come with? I mean, not reason to make separate trips." she offered.

"And I could prolly use some help dress shopping." she said to Kia this time.

"And so you know, we're friends and going to Homecoming together, but we're not, like, 'together'. So it's not like some couples only thing. We're all friends." she explained.

"Yeah, that'd be fun!" Kia agreed. "Abel, you want to come too? You can keep Sandy company while Lilly and me do our shopping."

She accepted Lilly's words about she and Sandy with just a nod. She and Abel were in much the same situation after all! Dances were for just having fun more than anything in her mind. You didn't have to be going out to go to a dance together. Happened all the time!

It was at that moment that the bell rang signaling the end of lunch.

Almost as if guided by some hidden hand all of the irregulars got up and accompanied Sean to put up trays. The group drew a lot of looks mostly directed at Sean and to a lesser extent Sara who was now inextricably linked to the schools main set of weirdos and misfits.

Sean for the most part kept his head down and ignored the stares, that is until he had to separate from the gang and noticed Chet across the hall grinning at him like a shark about to have dinner. Sean ducked into his class and stopped when everyone one turned and looked at him. Oh this is going to suck he thought as he took his seat and crawled into his textbook.

Sara had made a bee line for her usual quick exit from the building usually for a smoke but today after the fiasco of lunch, her emotional turmoil, as well as a nagging headache that was creeping up probably from the stress, she took it a step further and skipped the rest of the day. She needed solitude, her guitar, and time to think.

The rest of the gang, not under the pressure and scrutiny that Sean was, went about their mostly regular day. The only thing they all shared was a nagging headache pulsing behind their eyes. Not painful enough to send them to the nurse but noticeable and annoying.

This headache would last well into the night and return repeatedly over the course of the coming week.

Spoiler

I will be posting an Interlude which will cover several things happening off camera.

My next game post as AWS ST will be homecoming day. So that gives you guys the whole week in game to make a fluff/rp posts if you wish (bonus xp if you do). I know I intend to do a Sara and Sean scene. I will wait and give y'all the weekend to do any posts you may want. I will be making the homecoming posts Monday. You may also want to make your Enhanced sheets if you have not done so already already. I will be available for discussions during this time if anyone has questions. Just PM me.

Homecoming Week Interlude # 1

Monday

Sheriff Hutchins, Deputy Cordeaux, and Dr. Cross

Dr. Cross pulled the blanket up of the corpse on the table. When he had been asked to do the autopsies he had had no idea that 90% of the work had already been done. He looked over at the Sheriff and the disturbingly attractive deputy who had been observing.

“Everything is here, no missing organs and no tissues unaccounted for. It's damn odd Jake. Why go through all the trouble and not take anything? And why put it all back together again when you leave. Almost like who ever did this thought that by putting it all back they would come alive again.”

He shakes his head at the silently brooding sheriff.

“I just don't get it.”

“Don't get what?” Asked Annabel drawing a sharp look from Hutchins.

“Well for starters, the work is too precise. Each cut is perfect. Let me show you.”

He moves over to the computer and types in some fast commands. On a wall screen pictures taken during his examination appear. He enlarges them and using the mouse he indicates on the picturs his points for reference.

“Here, look at this cut. A scalpel is a sharp instrument but even the best made scalpel would leave tears in a cut even if only detectable at microscopic level.”

Click, click and the pictures zoom in. The screen shows perfectly smooth cuts in the tissue.

“All of them are like this. Every. Single. Cut.”

“What could do that doc?” It was the first words Jacob Hutchins had spoken in over an hour.

Cross considers for a moment.

“Maybe a laser but it would have to be computer controlled and this couldn't have been a laser the wounds aren't cauterized.

But that's not all. You say all three of these were done in the same night. That's just not possible. At this level of completeness it would take a professional team in a fully stocked operating theater ten to twelve hours to do even one of these and they would have to be experts on each of the animals at that.

Everything indicates that all three of these animals died between 2:00 am and 4:30 am Saturday morning. And everything also indicates that ...” He takes a deep breath and meets the two law enforcement officers eyes.

“Everything indicates that they were alive while this was done to them.”

Bulwark AFB

Project Stepping Stone Beta Site Level 4

Dr Mizuki, Dr. Chandler

“The Chinese?” How?”

The incredulous look on Dr. Chandlers face reminded. Mizuki of a cat.

Micheal Chandler was fifteen years older than Mizuki, had been at Chicago during the original experiments and at a member of the projects team since day one.  He had been at Bulwark since they opened the site as the number two scientist under two other site directors before Dr. Mizuki's arrival. But he never seemed to resent Mizuki's placement above him as director of the station. Chandler was a good scientist but not brilliant and he understood this about himself.

Mizuki shrugged at the question. “They seem to think one of the original Chicago scientist who didn't go to the Alpha site may be a Chinese spy.”

“Really.” Chandler mumbled not believing it he knew most of the original Chicago team. “But what makes them think it was the Chinese. This isn't something we ever caught wind of them working on.”

Mizuki directs a couple of airmen to continue removing the conveyor belt system that had been used to move the small animal cages. Once finished he went over to where chandler was dismantling the receiver frame.

“The only thing drone 1 and 2 shared in common that number 3 did not was orbital position. At the time of the anomaly 1 and 2 were within direct line of sight with the Chinese space station while number three was finishing its orbit and was below the horizon thus out of sight of the station.” He shrugged.

Chandler stopped working and shook his head. “That makes no sense. Even if the Chinese were researching the portals, why would they bother with putting them in orbit. They don't have the same safety concerns we do.”

Mizuki picked up an electric wrench and began removing bolts which prompted Chandler to resume his work.

“Exactly what I pointed out. The Gorman told me about the spy.” He stopped working aware that he had just declared that the scientist was in fact a spy and not an alleged spy. This place is changing me, he thought. “One of the scientist not directly involved in the initial experiments but who contributed to the after the fact mathematical support, a Dr. Kerslake, he wasn't on the selection list and left Chicago about three months prior to the final move, taking a position at Cern.”

“I remember Kerslake, very tall wore a ponytail.” Chandler mumbles more to himself than to Mizuki.

Mizuki continued. “It seems they had been investigating him for some time. He has ties to a couple of married Chinese physicist going back to his days at Stanford. And he was also in contact with one of the scientist at the alpha site, Judy Baines, it appears the two had a relationship. When she was questioned Friday she lawyer'd up and when Gorman's goons attempted to question Kerslake in Switzerland he refused to meet with them and has since asked for asylum at the Chinese embassy there.”

Chandler shook his head

“Damn this keeps getting more and more crazy as we go along doesn't it.”

Interlude

Monday after School

The Cross Trios

For Abel the days were not idle, though they were somewhat frustrating.   He spent much of his idle time scanning the town, and its surrounding environs to try and find whoever, or whatever, was responsible for the incident with the fence post.   So far it was completely fruitless, everyone and everything was completely normal.

Surprisingly, That was what actually bothered him.   Idly he thought about being friend-zoned by Kia.   It was fine, it wasn't like he'd asked with any romantic intentions, nor was he unaccustomed to the zone, it had pretty much been his home his whole life, when girls acknowledged his presence at all, before he'd changed.   He hated the way many thought of him, how shallow and vain most of the girls at school were.  Knowing what everyone was thinking was a blessing and a curse at times, and while once all he'd wanted was to be someone with lots of friends, his powers had both made this possible and impossible.   He was popular and well liked by most everyone, even if they thought him strange for not turning his god-given athleticism to football, instead focusing on the less-respected track and baseball.

His current circle of actual friends was small, limited to the "Irregulars" as they were politely called, people he knew were good people, without ever intentionally delving into their minds.  Hell, he and Sean had grown up together.   He st back from his desk, the notebook he'd been keeping track of the scans in open before him, the negative results recorded for posterity, and his own peace of mind.  The passive scans weren't returning anything, and soon he knew that he would be forced to actively start looking into the minds of the adults, trying to find what, if anything, they were hiding about what was going on.   It was the epitome of a double edged sword, he needed to know to protect his friends and family, but did he really have a just reason to do this.  He could leave behind no records, and that bothered him too, as he liked to document things.  He'd kept a journal his whole life, which was well hidden, and written in a code that most would not be able to decipher, much as the scan notations were.

"Dammit, Dammit, Dammit."  He rubbed his temples in frustration, the headache was minor, but it hadn't gone away.  Nothing over the counter had gotten rid of the little annoyance, he resigned himself to stop for today.   He put away the notebook and locked the drawer for his desk, just as the door opened, one of his younger sisters, Mellysa came barging in.  "You know it's called knocking Mel."

"Oh please, it's not like you're doing anything this afternoon Abe."  She knew how he hated that nickname and used it, just as he teased her with "Mel"  He was the only one who got to without an outburst.   "What do you want?"

"Mom wants you to go grocery shopping.  She's gonna cook when she gets home tonight, but we don't have the stuff she needs.   You didn't answer her call, so she called me and gave me the list. "

He nodded  "Fine, fine, give me the list and I'll go.  "Dalia and I are coming too."   

"Why would you want that?"  He teased even as chuckled inwardly.  Their mom was not fond of the twins getting a candy fix, but Abel had a habit of enabling them, so long as they stayed out of his hair afterwards.

"C'mon, we're out of hershey's again.   "Fine, but you know the deal, you gotta leave me be, and no disturbing my friends when they come over."   She nodded once.  "Deal."

She called out to Dalia, who as a courtesy to everyone else, wore her hair pulled back in a pony tail to differentiate between the two sisters, was much quieter as she met them in the kitchen.   "What's mom making?"  

"Lasagna, from the looks of it."   Abel sighed.   The girls loved their mother's cooking.   He was not especially fond of her lasagna, and a few other dishes.   Still as his father had taught him, you never criticized a woman's cooking, especially dishes they were proud they could make from scratch.   So he ate it with gusto every time it was fixed.

Piling into the jeep it was a quiet drive to the market, which while it was not really crowded, had more people than normal.   He grabbed the buggy, and would let the girls get the various items, as they didn't see fit to let him see the list.   Most of those there thought about their own lives, some recognized the Cross Trio, as he and his sisters were affectionately called, and he nodded respectfully, greeting those as he passed.   The girls were on a mission, piling up what they'd been told to get, operating seemingly in unision without ever speaking.  Even Abel was moving with them as if part of a collective hive mind, they went in order, getting everything that wasn't cold before moving to the cold items last.

When they finished he paid, thankful he was gonna get paid back, because he knew the dinner for homecoming was his responsibility, at least for Kia and himself.   They loaded the groceries into the jeep and got home, roughly fifteen minutes before their mother.   They'd put away everything already by the time she got there, and hidden the chocolate.     

"i'll be just a minute, I want to change, then we'll get started."   The girls looked to each other and smiled and Abel just nodded,  "Okay mom."   
When she came back she was dressed more comfortably, and soon got to work cooking, with the twins helping her.   Seeing he'd been replaced in the Trio by his mother he head to the den, to look at the weather, wanting to make sure it wouldn't affect his plans for the game and Dance.

To his surprise, his Father actually got to come home before the food was done, allowing him to unwind and relax in his chair in the den.   They watched the news together, and once dinner was ready, joined the Cross women in the kitchen to eat as a family.  Enough remained for leftovers the following day, but everyone ate a full plate. After dinner, the twins and his mother went to take their baths as he and his father washed the dishes in silence.     It was uncommon that he was so silent, and Abel knew why, they'd lost a patient today at the hospital.   Nothing could be done to save him, he'd had three strokes in succession, and it had fallen to his father to tell the family, the Johnsons, that he had passed.  Carl Johnson was only 34, and left behind a son and daughter, and his pregnant wife.   His father felt like a failure, even though he did everything he could  It was this that had pushed the events of the morning, what the sheriff had brought him, from the forefront of his mind..

Abel of course knew exactly why his father was silent, and as said nothing, he couldn't; though he wanted to reassure and comfort his father.  He was a good man, and sometimes, this just happened.  They took their showers after the women were done, and everyone pretty much went their own way until bedtime for the twins. It was during this time that having caught glimpses of his father's morning, he delved into his mind for those specific memories.  Very careful to only attain them, he watched through his fathers eyes effectively, seeing the entire scene, and marveling at how something could be done like this.  Still it worried him because this was so straight out of science fiction, but he'd have to put aside the knowledge for now.    Following that, his mother and father had gone to the back Porch of their fenced in yard, and Abel came to them, The original Cross Trio, as they were discussing the events of the day.  "I couldn't save him, it was like nothing I'd seen before."  "Dad, you did all you could, nobody's blaming you."

Sebastian Cross looked to his only son and shook his head.  "I blame me..."  His wife, Cornelia, cut him off.  "Well you shouldn't.   Everyone knows you try everything to save your patients, that you take your oath to heart."  She hugged him, and Abel joined in too.   "These things happen, and they can't be undone, what matters now is the family.   I'll see what can be done to help them out, I'm sure the church will be more than willing to help."

Abel nodded.  "I, or perhaps the twins can babysit the kids when needed.   I'm sure they'll help, that's what we've taught them to do.   They might even do it for free."  Abel smiled, and that got a chuckle from both his parents,  "You're probably right, you're all good kids."

Sara and Sean

Tuesday Morning Before First Period

Sara waited by the door of the unused chemistry lab. She had avoided going to the cafeteria for breakfast not wanting to see Sean with all the others present. Putting her private life on display was not something she wanted or enjoyed. But she needed to see him she had to know.

She had skipped school after lunch yesterday and gone home lost in her head she had played guitar and though about what had happened. Startlingly all she could think about really was how soft Sean's lips had been for the fleeting second they had been in contact with hers and how her pulse had quickened and how warm she had felt.

She had been sullen during dinner that night which was okay since her dad had been preoccupied as well. Anyways the less they said to each other the better things seemed to go.

That night she had slept little and when she did she had weird dreams not the least of which featured Sean but not the Sean she knew but a female version of him and a talking dog. She woke up with a headache.

Fucking dreams.

Which led to her hiding in the shadows of the empty classroom with her hoodie up waiting for Sean to pass.

Sean was agitated, all his nerves shot. After lunch yesterday, he'd actually felt pretty good. Sure, everyone was staring and whispering, even worse than usual, but after building up the courage - or at least not thinking about the consequences - he didn't regret the kiss.

But after school, he'd been feeling a throbbing headache. He could barely do any programming work and playing video games had felt like a chore rather than relaxing. The copious amounts of Advil and Tylenol he'd taken had done nothing.

He'd barely been able to sleep, getting at most two hours. If he dreamed, he didn't remember any of them, except for something that may have been a cat. He considered claiming to be sick so he could stay home, but didn't want everyone at school to think he was embarrassed or scared to show up after his display at lunch. So he dragged himself out of bed, got cleaned up and biked to school.

Sean came down the hall warily watching for Chet. Twice he had seen him this morning and both times Chet had given him that same shark grin so Sean knew that Chet was going to pull something, he just knew it! And when he got yanked into an unused chemistry lab, only the hand over his mouth stopped him from screaming.

Sara had seen him coming his attentions elsewhere and so he hadn't seen her in the shadowed doorway. She snatched his arm, pulling him into the doorway his back to her she shoved him into the open door without letting go of him and followed close behind she clapped a hand over his mouth so he couldn't yell out as she kicked the door closed with her foot.

Hand still over his mouth she spun him around and pushed him up against the wall glaring at his beautiful, wide with fear, turquoise eyes.

Don't yell” she hissed.

Keeping one hand bunched into a fist holding his shirt and pressing him forcefully against the wall, Sara took her hand from his mouth and pulled back the hood.

The urge to scream subsided after his assailant pulled back the hood and he found himself facing Sara, but the pounding of his heart didn't lessen. She had him pressed so forcefully against the wall only the tip of his shoes could barely touch the ground.

She glared more but before he could say anything she kissed him.

Not a quick peck like he had aimed at her the day before but a real kiss.

Shocked, Sean was unresponsive at first, but not for long, his body growing eager, and he kissed her back

Lips pressed to lips, lingering, pulse quickening, heat building in her body, between her legs. her body betraying her. Sean was feeling much the same in the ways boys do.

She pulled away breathless. And Sara wasn't the only one breathless when their lips finally pulled apart. Sean's large turquoise eyes were wide as they stay fixed on Sara's intense brown ones.

Well fuck...” Sara mumbled dazedly.

Sean didn't know how to response, he wasn't even sure what he felt. The silence stretched after Sara's muttered words.

"Um, I was surprised and that was my first kiss," Sean explained, trying a light, teasing smile. "If you give me another chance, I'll do better next time."

She continued staring at Sean watching his lips move as he spoke. This was not supposed to be happening.

"Shit this is not supposed to be happening." She whispered as she lowed her face to his once more.

Sean scrabbled a bit and Sara relented enough to let Sean get his feet flat on the floor as she lowered her lips to his. Seeing it coming this time, Sean responded instantly with inexperienced but enthusiastic excitement.

All the TV, Movies, and reading couldn't prepare Sean for actually engaging in his first kisses. Was he keeping his lips too hard or too soft? What did he do with his hands? His slid one hand down to Sara;s hip. The other fluttered around in the air for moment settling awkwardly on her shoulder. He stopped analyzing it and just went with instinct, following Sara's lead. Besides, it felt... good.

Having never had a girlfriend or made out with one, Sean thought people were kinda nuts about how badly they wanted to hook up and stuff. But kissing a girl now, he was getting a glimmer of their point.

This kiss was better. Sean was over his shock and while he fumbled a bit Sara led the way, after all she was more experienced.

Their lips molded to each other and Sara moved hers in ways that made Sean groan inwardly as blood flowed and his excitement grew. He felt Sara's lips part and her tongue slid along his lips and instinctively his lips parted and her tongue slipped inside his mouth to touch his. The sensations were incredible and his pants were getting uncomfortably tight. Her hands moved from holding him in place to his neck and the side of his face. She pressed her body hard against him then she pulled back.

Both of them gasped as their mouths parted.

"If it's not supposed to be happening," Sean countered when they came up for air once more, "Why does it feel to right?" He snorted a laugh. "Okay, that sounds cheesy, even to me. But still, I don't regret it for a moment." Sean grinned wryly. "I might after Chet does whatever the hell he's planning, but I don't right now."

"Fuck Chet. I'll deal with him. I guess I am Bi cause you sure the fuck are turning me on."

Sean blinked. Then he grinned hugely and stood up straight. Barely five feet in height, he was standing tall now. Instead of bluster, Sean was showing real confidence now. Sara couldn't help but notice that it looked good on him.

Sean couldn't like that he needed someone to deal with Chet on his behalf. But Sara saying she would without a second thought or looking down on him for that reason made her even more attractive in his eyes.

"So am I. I mean, are you. Turning me on, I mean." Sean grimaced a bit, but unlike other times he stammered, he didn't blush. "Did you want to come over after school? For supper? I'm a decent cook."

Sara giggled a little bit at the insanity of it all. Sean liked the way it sounded knowing she wasn't laughing at him but at the situation they found themselves in.

"You cook? That would be a change I'm the one who has to cook at my house." She pondered the invitation just as the bell for first period sounded. "Yeah I'll come over. We need to figure out what I'm going to do with all those experience points you gave me Saturday anyway. Who knows, maybe you'll get to earn some experience points too."

With a sly smile She took his hand and they left the unused room together to face the day.

Spoiler

This was written by Nina and Sean

Felix: Home

Felix was alone in his room. He was working on a painting. Felix mind was slightly unfocused due to a few reasons. One was that he suffering from a mild headache. Nothing too serious on it's own. He figure it would pass since it hasn't cause much or any stress to him.

The main reason Felix mind was unfocused was the fact that he was lost in though in how to talk with his parents about his current predicament. He wanted to tell his parents about how he feels, yet does not know how to. Felix knows that his parents know that he got the letter, yet his parents do not know what was in it. They have guess as to what the letter context was, but he has not reveal it to them yet. He wanted to tell them the news, but worries that they might change things to help him.

Then there was the crazy dream that keeps on going on for the past few nights. Felix had a feeling like something or someone was trying to tell him something, but Felix could not figure out what was being said. Either that or Felix imagination was getting the better of him and he should focus more on reality then fantasy. 

The painting in question was about those dreams that he was having. To be more precise at least one of them. Felix figure that if he could somehow put his dreams into some sort of reality, even if it was on a canvas, then maybe he could understand it more. That he could see things in a different light and figure out the meaning behind the dream. Yet so far Felix is not sure if his plan would work.

Felix heard Midnight give a familiar meow. She was looking up at Felix from the bed as she was laying down watching Felix in curiosity. “Don't you dare judge me. If your mind was going haywire you would try to find some means to get it out of your head too.” Felix said with a sly smile as he goes to pet Midnight after putting up his paint brush and palette down.

Felix heard a familiar voice soon enough. It was of his mother. She was stating that dinner was ready. Felix goes to the dining room after cleaning his hands to meet with his parents. Both look like they had recently got off of work. From their looks they have had a hard day at work.

Felix mother looked more clean up as she was placing the food down. His father on the other hand did not look as much clean up say probably his hands. The plates and utensils were already down. The food was a beef stew with a few slices of bread. Each of the glasses were filled with water.

“So how was your day son?” Asked his mother.

She seem so cheerful and energetic, despite the days work. His father looked exhausted. Felix almost looked exhausted just by seeing his mother.

“My day was alright. Nothing too exciting happen. So how was yours?” Felix said. He did not know if he should talk about school or his friends right now. He takes a bite of the stew. It wasn't bad. He wonder if his mother made this, or if it was from a can.

“Oh, it was great. We got a real old one today. I mean we had to repair a car that was probably from your great grandparents time. Finding parts for it was the most challenging thing. Well repairing it will be a blast once we get the parts in. We had a few other orders today as well. Real busy stuff. Your father did most of the world while I did the search for some parts. I also did some repairs, but nothing as intricate as what he has done.” Felix mother said with a smile.

She contemplates her next words as she drinks some water. “You know you never told us what was in the letter...”

“Felix will tell us whenever he is ready Alicia.” James interrupts his wife Alicia. “I mean whatever that place sent could not have startle you too much. Right son?” Felix father asked. He looks at Felix as he takes a bite to eat.

Felix wanted to sigh. He knew what his father was doing. He was trying to fish for information. Felix knew that his father hated to do that, that Felix father wanted Felix to say what was on his mind. Yet how could he without asking like he wanted money. 

“No, the news I got from the New York High School of Arts and Design was not bad. It was good in a sense. That's not what bothering me.” Felix said trying to steer the conversation away form that.

“Then tell us what is going on in that head of yours son? You know that I am not a mind reader.” Felix father asked as he goes to eat some more. Felix mother took all of this in with the curiosity of that of a child.

The room was silent as the three were eating. The clock ticking being the only major sound in the room. It was obvious that Felix was thinking, barely eating his meal. His mind focus on to what he was going to say.

I am going to need a lot of money, more so then what you have to at a start. That I have to move to a new school, which means abandoning my friends again and the life I have known again, in order to go to a school several states away in order to hopefully secure a better future for myself. To attain better skills and hopefully connections that will take me to college. Felix though to himself. He wanted to say that to his parents, but decided against it. He knew they had more important things to worry about then him.

“Nothing important.” Felix said lying. His tone was light and soft.

It was obviouse to the others at the table that it was not true. Felix did not want to create trouble for his parents. Even if they have for so long done that to him.

How many times did Felix had to leave the life he known to some new place for some unknown reason? How many people who said they would always be his friends leave him despite all the work he did to try to keep communications with them?

“So son aren't you going to the big Homecoming dance?” Felix mother asked. She seems to try to change the conversation. Yet to Felix it only cause more problems.

“Well I am thinking about not going. Work has a position needing to be filled that day and I am planning on working that day.” Felix said.

“Oh, come on son.” Felix mother said. “You only have four years to have homecoming. Each one being unique and different. Like the saying goes, you only live once. Why not just rethink that and go? Didn't you say that your friends were going as well. Also that some of them were part of the contest for King and Queen? Wouldn't you like to see them win instead of just listening from others the results. Oh, I remember the one homecoming when I dated the homecoming king. We...”

“Are you certain you want to tell that story?” Felix father asked. His father knew what she was going to say next and by his looks did not like what was going to be said.

“Oh, come on. It's not like he a child. Plus it's also not like he's a virgin.” Felix mother replied as Felix face redden.

The fact was that he was still a virgin and his mother assumptions. Felix goes to leave a bit fluster. “What was it something I said?” Felix mother asked.

Felix ran into the forest to get some distance from his parents and the world. It was getting dark but Felix did not care. He just wanted to let his mind calm down and focus on something else. He wonder why so many things were put on his lap so soon. 

Eventually Felix makes it to one of his favorite haunts. It was an old looking kids fort that Felix slowly worked on to remake into something more functional. It wasn't complete yet, but in time, it could be something that could be used as a private getaway or something akin to a cabin. It was here while Felix was laying near one of the incomplete walls that a cat fell on his head.

“What the...” Felix said. As he grabs the cat darting from his head. Felix soon recognizes the cat as Midnight.

“You should be more cautious of your movements if you don't want to be follow.” His father said above him.

“Wait, how did you….” Felix asked before being interrupted by his father.

“You forget I was in the military. In certain divisions, you are train to hunt other men down. Also good at hunting animals to an extent.”

Felix was quite for a few minutes as he pets Midnight. “So why are you here?” He asked.

“That was what I was going to ask you. You are not your usual self. Sure you can be broody and distant at times, but nothing like this.” Felix father said.

Felix looked up to him. “You're right. It's just that I have a few things on my mind.”  Felix said.

“Then talk.” His father said.

“What about?” Felix asked.

“Well I doubt that you ran away just because your mom though you weren't a virgin. So what is really going on?” His father asked.

“I just feel so stress out lately. It's hard to really detail it all lately. I guess the main thing is the letter I got. I got accepted, but it's highly costly. I don't want to burden you with the cost. I need to find out how to do so on my own, which has been troublesome. I don't know where to really start. Also I feel like even if I do get the money, I feel like if I leave now I will lose the friends I have here. I feel like I am abandoning them if I do so. Worse I worry about losing them, like I did so many other friends I have.” Felix said.

His father smiled. “You are an interesting kid. Then again teenager like yourself are caught between children and adulthood. I respect your desires to not put us into any financial problems due to your desire to go to a different school.” His father said.

“It's not just that any school dad. It could help me better get into art colleges. I mean it does more then just art. I want to do something that will help me improve my skills.” Felix said.

“So what if things don't go as you plan, and you don't get a carrier in art. Then what will you do?” His father asked.

“I don't know. If worse comes to shove then I will be a repairman like you.” Felix said.

“I see. I hope that whatever path you choose you will be happy. Just don't do something stupid while in the pursuit of your dreams.” His father said.

“Like what?” Felix asked.

“Lets just say don't impregnate a women right now. I understand if you want to be in a romantic relationship, as it will bound to happen in some part of your life. Just be sure of if it's the right one, okay.”

“Sure dad, I won't be bring you home any grandchildren anytime soon. What of you and mom… do you regret...” Felix said but was interrupted by his father.

“At times I wonder if it was. Your mother can be a handful. A real trouble maker, even if you don't realize it yet. Yet she has a good heart and does what she thinks is right. Do I regret ever meeting her and having you. In the past before you were born I wonder if I did. Hell even some points afterwords. Yet I think stay with it was more worth it then leaving. Plus I was raise old school. You create a child you take care of it. I know there is some controversial with that, and that there is a gray line to it. Anyways have you even told your friends about this?” His father asked.

“No, I don't even know if I want to. I mean I will tell them once I am sure that I am going to go.” Felix said.

“As for your friends. People change, even you will change. If they leave you then don't worry too much over it. Life changes people. True friendship is rare.” Felix father said. “Didn't you have that one friend… what was their name again.”

“I I haven't heard from that person in a long time so I am not certain if we're still friends.” Felix said.

A loud feminine scream is heard in the distance. His father laughs at it. “Seems like she doesn't learn. Well looks like we are going to have to go and save her. Lets get going son before it gets too dark.” Felix father said. Felix nods. Still uncertain of things, but feels a bit better knowing that his family will support him no matter what happens. His friends on the other hand he was not certain of. But Felix will  know once he gets to that point.

Spoiler

edited by aws st

Tuesday 1:00 PM

Shelly Mt

Skyler Rd. just off US Hwy 2

The Old Packmire Farm

Deputy Brody Watts stood on the porch his partner Deputy Jim Johnson was still inside taking pictures since they didn't have a crime lab and the sheriff would have to call Great Falls if he wanted the state to send their lab boys up. More than likely he would just take what the local deputies found and send the evidence along with a deputy down there. It saved time.

Brody watched as the Sheriff's big SUV pulled in behind his and Jim's, he laughed to himself as Jake and Annabelle got out. There has got to be something going on between those two he thought as he stepped off the porch to meet the sheriff and his inseparable favorite deputy.

Jake Hutchins was not in a great mood, the animal mutilations was no where close to being solved and now he had a missing persons case to contend with. Earlier today while Annabell and he had been back out at the Hallenback's going over the crime scene hoping something would jump out and bite them when they got the call from dispatch.

Frank Bell the cook at the Griddle, the diner downtown, had called in and report that Enid Packmire had missed work Monday and hadn't called in, and when she didn't show up today he had called and gotten no answer. Enid was the last of the Packmire's, she was single had never been married and had worked at the griddle since she it had opened way back in the seventies. She was pretty much a fixture and according to Frank in all the time he had worked that Enid had never missed a days work. So Jake fearing the worse had sent Brody Watts who was on County Patrol out that way to check up on the old woman. About forty five minutes later just as Jake and Annabelle were pulling back into the station, Brody had radioed in and requested the sheriff to come out the the Packmire farm.

"What you got Brody," Jake asked as the deputy came off the porch to meet them in the yard?

"Well sheriff...," Brody started but was interrupted by the sound of several loud engines.

All three officers looked back at the road and watched as two large military tractor trailers barreled up the road from the direction of the highway. in front and in back were two armed Humvee's escorting the trucks and over head were two Air Force Blackhawk's circling. one peeled off and flew over the tree lawmen and the house before curving back to join the convoy.

"Did just see machine guns in that helicopters door," asked Annabelle trying hard to keep the shock out of her voice?

"That's what it looked like," Jake replied before turning his attention back to his other deputy.

"Well?"

Brody kept staring off after he Air Force convoy then shook himself back to paying attention to his boss, "It'll be easier to show you," He led them back into the house.

The farmhouse itself was over a hundred years old, it had been renovated in the mid nineteen fifties and keep modernized to a degree but it was really showing it's age now. The porch creaked as the combined weight of the three stressed the ancient boards. Brody led the way and as Jake and Annabelle passed through the door they saw why they had been called.

The living room had last been decorated sometime in the eighties, against one wall was an entertainment cent which would have held a large television and a stereo. only the center was empty it's contents on the floor in front of it, not smashed up and broken, but disassembled the components down to the smallest diode carefully placed on the floor like the pieces of a puzzle.

"Not just in here," explains Brody as he leads them through the house. "everywhere."

From room to room they go, in each they find every electronic device and machine disassembled and neatly stacked up.

"Any sign of Enid." asks the sheriff?

"No sir. And her chickens are gone too."

Annabelle raises a curious eyebrow silently questioning Brody.

Jake answers for him as he goes out the back door and heads toward the barn/garage, "Enid doesn't farm but she raises chickens, sells the eggs to supplement her income."

He goes in the side door of the garage already guessing what he will find. He's right. he goes over and pushes open the big barn doors revealing whats inside to his deputies, now three as Jim Johnson has finished photographing the inside of the house and has joined them. All three deputies are speechless at what they see. Inside is the disassemble components, including the frames, of a 1998 ford 150, a 2014 ford prius, and a john deer tractor. Not a single piece is still connected to another piece even the welds have been broken, cleanly. And everything is all neatly stacked in piles.

"She's been missing two days. How in the hell can anyone do all of this in two day," Asks Jake Hutchins.

No one has an answer.

Bulwark Air Force Base

Project Stepping Stone Beta Site

Surface Level

Lt. Co. Pryor was finishing up detailing the enhanced security measures, that had been put in place with the security level changes, to Dr. Mizuki. Both men watched as the second crated portal was being unloaded onto the freight elevator.

"So, doctor, how long to get these new ones up and running," Asked the solid looking soldier.

"Not long Colonel. All we have to do is uncrate them then switch them to our power. Really after the portals are opened initially as long as there is a power feed there is no other maintenance to be done to them. Just monitoring," Mizuki said to the Officer.

He had come to know the Military man since they were neighbors and due to his daughters friendship with his daughter, Kia, and much to his surprise he found that he actually liked the soft spoken military policeman.

"I will tell you my friend, I do not like the way they are accelerating the program. Even if the Chinese, which i have my doubts about by the way, but even if the Chinese do have their own portal program, I do not think we are ready for Human trials. We have barley begun sending animals through and we don't yet have any clue as to what caused the mutations during the early experiments, " He shakes his head.

Will Pryor looks askance at the shorter man beside him. "There something your not telling me doctor? Have there been more mutations?"

"No, no at least not that anyone has reported or that we have detected, and not since they isolated the chambers. But still I would like to spend more time studying animals before we subject a human tot he process."

"If your against it why do you stay on?"

"Because, William, I am the best at what I do. I do not brag, but if there is a danger I have the greatest chance of discovering it," He steps forward and turns to face his friend pulling a folded paper out of his pocket and handing it to Pryor.

"Anyway, they want a volunteer. They will assemble a cadre to pull from. They want them to come from those already associated with he program. This lists the criteria, anyone who meets them is to be interviewed. We will make selections after the interview."

"And then what," Will asks asks looks over the paper?

"Then we send someone through."

Lily, Kia, Abel and Sandy

Tuesday, After Last Period

The half-day went by quickly, more or less. Lilly's thoughts for most of the day was on the planned trip to Great Falls, only occasionally interrupted by the mildly annoying headache she had been nursing off and on for the last few days. She figured it was due to the weather or hormones or any of countless other things, but it was far from bad enough to bother her mother about. She tried to be conscious of it though, and not take out any irritation on others. 

The final bell rang and Lilly made her way to her truck with Kia. She could have ridden with Abel, but it was part habit to get a ride from Lilly, and partially to have a few minutes to talk before they were stuck in jeep with the guys for 2 hours.

"So what's up with you and Abel? Just going as friends, or do you think he's like 'testing the water' or something before making a move?" she asked Kia with a teasing grin as they exited the parking lot in her truck.

Kia shrugged unconcernedly. "Well, he was all 'this is just because I want to go to the dance, it's not romantic or anything' when he asked, but I dunno. I guess we'll just see where it goes. I wouldn't mind going out with him if he asked. He seems like a good guy."

Kind of quiet though, she thought to herself. Maybe he needs some help getting out of his shell?

"What about you and Sandy?"

"Sandy? That's.. I dunno. I'm pretty sure he really likes me. Well, now at least. He used to hate my guts when I first joined the football team. Since then though, we've spent time together, both being QBs and all, and I think he's kinda into me now, but he was dating Courtney. She broke up with him over the summer, so here we are. I mean, I never really thought of him that way myself."

"But when he talks to me now, he kinda babbles or falls over his own words. You know what I'm talking about? But he drags ass actually doing stuff, like actually asking me to Homecoming. So maybe he will ask me out at the dance or something. I dunno. So right now, we are just friends and going to the dance together. I mean, we're friends and he is a good guy..."

"Can I tell you something?" Lilly asked.

Kia nodded.

"I've never even been in a serious relationship. Like.. ever. So this is all kinda.. I dunno.." she admitted.

With a grin, Kia leaned over to bump shoulders with Lilly. It was kind of a 'car hug' for her.

"Me neither! But it's no big deal, really. I mean, I've gone out with a couple of boys before, but it was just 'yay, lets go hang out and have fun' kind of stuff. I kind of like everyone, you know, but I haven't met anyone I'm just like, 'bwaaah baby me now!' and...I don't know. That feels kind of normal. I don't really want to get married right out of high school and juggle kids and job and school all at the same time. I feel like I need more time than that. Probably a LOT more."

"I mean, it's not a race, you know? We don't have to beat anyone across the marriage line. Just have fun with it. Otherwise what's the point?"

Meanwhile, Abel's sisters had gotten wind of the "Double Date of Destiny" as they were calling it and had been hounding him mercilessly.   He looked at them and sighed  "Geez, can't a guy just go out with three other people from his school to do some shopping?"  

"Yeah, of course, but this is two couples."   

"I told you Mel, it's not like that, sure Sandy likes Lily, but it isn't like that for Kia and me."   

Dalia chuckled  "Your grammar's slipping, clearly there's more than just a simple friend."   Abel looked at her, his eyes flashing dangerously,  "Hey now, I know I'll enjoy going with Kia, that's reason enough.  If, and I say this because we're taught to not rule out the impossible, If something more sparks from it, well that's good too.   Kia's a great girl."

This got the girls giggling and he sighed and checked the weather for the rest of the day.  He was dressed casually, and once the girls got there, they'd go pick up Sandy and head out.

He could feel Sandy's excitement and apprehension, it made his mind pretty easy to find.   He didn't go any further, but this was definitely "more" for him, at least.   

I wonder if Kia wants to try and play matchmaker? he mused to himself.  I wonder if Lily is actually looking for someone.

Lilly and Kia arrived at Abel's place as he was doing some last minute cleaning off his jeep. Not that it was really dirty but more so he could get out of the house and away from his sisters who were nagging him with their thoughts.

After greetings were exchanged the trio were on the road to Sandy's place where they picked him up and then headed south toward Great Falls. Kia took over running the tunes while Abel drove and Sandy and Lilly settled in the back.

The drive down to Great Falls was pleasant enough. After all, they were a car full of teens on a road trip. Lilly smiles at the sight of the mall as they pulled into the parking lot. She enjoyed Shelly, but she certainly missed the malls.

After a hour or so of actual shopping as a group, Lilly and Kia turned to the boys.

"Okay guys. We're gonna go dress shopping. So you do... whatever it is that guys do." she said with a grin

Kia smiled and waved. "We'll call you in a bit."

With that the two girls set about finding dresses at the various department stores. Dress shopping was somewhat new to Lilly, so she was glad to have Kia there to provide another opinion. After two hours of shopping, and with dressed bagged and hanging over their shoulders, Kia reached into her pocket, withdrawing her phone. Lilly reached over, pulling her hand on Kia's, pushing the phone down.

"Come on. Seriously? How often do we get to go shopping with a girlfriend here at the mall? The guys are fine. If we call them now they are just gonna groan if we want to do any more shopping. A few more minutes won't hurt." Lilly urged with a smile, shoulder bumping Kia.

"Yeah, I guess so." Kia acknowledge, her thoughtful look turning to a smile.

After making their way through some more shops, looking for earrings, makeup and anything else that crossed their mind, they finally called the boys.

"Hi! Yeah, we're done. Hm? Oh were near the food court." Kia spoke into her phone as Lilly tapped her arm and pointed to another store.

"You want to come to us? We're gonna check out Stuffed With Fluff. Okay! See you in a couple of minutes!" Kia hung up as she walked with Lilly to the shop. Inside was every manner of cute stuffed animal and plushy. The pair walked around, looking over the assortment, occasionally picking one up to show the other, giggling and petting them before placing them back.

Then both their eyes fell on the same bear. It was odd and stood out from the rest, with a bit of strange familiarity.

"What the...?" Lilly said as she plucked the bear from the display.

"That's really weird. Like, Deja vu or something. I've seen this bear before... In a dream the other night, I think." she said as she showed it to Kia.

Shopping with Sandy was somewhat boring.   Abel didn't make him go to the book store, and they hit virtually every other shop 2 young men might, spending the most time in the Gamestop.  Both of them had suits for the dance already, and Sandy was crestfallen abit because he'd wanted to spend time with Lily, not Abel.    For his part Abel didn't say anything to the effect, and when Kia's call came he answered.   By this point the two of them knew the mall well, and quickly found their way to the store where the girls were.   Sandy's whole countenance brightened when he saw Lily standing there, holding the bear.    Abel didn't have to read minds to know Sandy's buy it for her, or that at that instant, he wished to be the bear.

His own eyes narrowed as he looked closely at the bear.  "Just like the one in my dream the other night.."  he said quietly, 

"Oh shiiiiiiiiii..." Kia said as she looked at the bear and her eyes widened. That was one of her things. She didn't really swear but when the situation would normally call for swearing, she settled for just starting to swear and then letting it trail off.

"That's so freaky," she said, reaching out to touch the bear, then pausing just short of doing so. "I totally dreamed about this bear too...and it was a really bad dream. I almost never have bad dreams either, so it was really weird. I don't remember what happened, but I remember it was bad and the bear was in it."

She looked at Lilly. "This...there's something normal behind this right? Like we both saw commercials for the bear and there were subliminal things in it and kind of...got into our heads or something?"

For all her 'lovey dovey rainbows and unicorns' kind of persona, Kia was a rationalist at heart. This weirdness really had her spooked.

Lilly's brow furrowed at Kia's and Abel's mentioning that they had a dream with the bear too.

"Huh. Weird... Must have been. Like, something on tv, or maybe something Felix drew in his sketchbook or from a book we all saw at Sean's or something." Lilly suggested, trying to make sense of the shared image from their dreams.

Lilly looked at the bear for a moment, staring into it's hard, glossy black eyes. She then pushed it from her minds and smiled, remembering Kia's hesitance to touch it a moment ago.

"Oh no! It's tasted human dreams and now hungers for more! It's gonna get you! Rawr!" she says in mock terror as she reached out with the bear at Kia, chasing her around the store for a moment if she tried to run.

"We have to totally get this." she finally giggled.

Abel nodded.  "Yeah."  

Before he could say more, Sandy piped up.  "Well I'll get it for you, if you'd like."  

Abel nodded discreetly, as Sandy had stepped in front of him and couldn't see.  It was up to Lily to accept the gesture or not.

"Uh, sure." Lilly said, handing the bear to Sandy.

There was far more meaning to the gesture than what appeared on the surface, and Lilly knew it. She thought it would help build his confidence and show him that she was open to the idea of more than just a date to a dance.

"Don't worry Kia. You can totally barrow him." she grinned.

"Err.. The bear I mean. Not Sandy." she added with a grin.

"That's okay," Kia said with a mischievous grin. "I already have one."

She took hold of Abel's arm.

"A bear, I mean." She grinned.

"So what's next?"

Abel smiled back at Kia.  "well is there anything else you two need to get?   Somewhere you'd like to go eat here in town?"   it had been two hours, and going on that it was after three.

"I mean, i'm up for pretty much whatever, so let's have some fun."

As the piled back into the jeep Sandy, who had been thinking and kinda kicking himself for being so nervous with Lilly, spoke up with a suggestion.

"How about we eat at Rikki's Pizza, then instead of a movie, we could go play Mini Golf? That way we won't be so late getting back home. After all we do have school tomorrow."

He looks at Lilly and takes hold of her hand casually, "We can catch a movie this weekend if you want," He asks her directly?

Lilly snapped a glance down at her hand in Sandy's, but didn't pull her hand away or really even react much at all, even knowing that Kia and Abel would see the gesture.

"We can do that." Lilly nodded.

"But pizza? Seriously? We can get that at home. Why not Chinese food or something?"

Sandy nods smiling like an idiot, "yeah Chinese is good too, Peking gardens isn't to far here. What do you guys think?"

"Chinese sounds good to me," Kia agrees. Privately she missed sometimes the diversity of food that Hawaii had had. There were more kinds of meal than 'American,' Mexican and Chinese...but hey.

"Just, like a place you actually go sit down at though. Not one of those quick fast food type places where they just fry everything, okay?"

Abel nodded "yeah I'm not really in the mood for fast food myself."  He pulled out his phone, quickly finding the local chinese eateries , and picking one with solid reviews.  After getting directions he drove them there, without incident.  He was a careful driver, and seemed to know instinctively what other drivers were about to do.

"This will actually be my first time in a Chinese restaurant, believe it or not." 

"Really? Huh." Lilly said in surprise for a moment before remembering that Abel had lived in Shelly all his life.

"Don't worry. Just start with something simple like orange chicken or broccoli beef or something. Me and Kia can help you out with menu." she

"Both of you," she said, looking to Sandy too, "if this is your first time too." she added.

"Yeah," Kia said with a giggle. "If this is your first time, Lilly will be happy to help you out. Right Lilly?"

Sandy's eyes went wide and his cheeks reddened at Kia's comment, he shot a worried look at Lilly but relaxed when she saw her smiling and laughing along with Kia and Abel.

They settled on the Maple Garden for dinner since the girls wanted a sit down service and most of the other restaurants were buffet or takeout style. They ordered a variety of dishes and made Abel try all of them. He seemed to enjoy it especially the attention from the gilrs as they fed him various things from their plates.

Sandy was relaxing and enjoying himself a lot more now. Abel noted that his stress level was reduced now that he seemed to have jumped some invisible hurdle only he could see.

Through dinner and during their wacky and fun evening of mini golf, where they threw the rules out the window and went extreme sports version, he was more confident and sure of himself in regard's to Lilly.

The girls won.

The drive back was quiet and relaxed as well the main topic of discussion was the upcoming dance and plans for the after party. Kia brought up Felix and his lack of a date and whether or not they should find him one and make him go.

All in all it had been a very good day.

When the arrived back at Abels place the two couples separated for personal goodbyes.

Sandy led Lilly to her truck and lingered.

"I really had a good time today Lilly. I know I've been kinda weird about this, but I really like you and I meant it when I said I wanted to take you out after homecoming is over," he pauses then leans in and gives her a little kiss on the cheek, "I'll talk to you tomorrow. Text me when you get home so I know your safe."

Abel and Kia had said their good-nights but had waited until sandy and Lilly were finished before joining them and everyone said good night and drove off.

Later after getting home and saying good night to Kia, Lilly found herself in her room putting away her purchases. She had found a note in the kitchen explaining the her mom had the night shift in the emergency room at the hospital and that her dad had had something come up at work and not to worry that they weren't home. It was signed by her dad. Lilly had thought about that for a bit, while it wasn't unusual for her mom to work nights a few times a month. She could only remember a few time when her dad hadn't been home at night and all of those had been during his deployments overseas or during exercise. Something they didn't have here at Bulwark.

This occupied her thoughts as she put her new things away and it wasn't until she was finish and had only one more thing left that her train of thought changed.

The bear.

She picked it up. It wasn't a big teddy bear but it wasn't tiny either. Without measuring it she would say it was about twelve inches tall sitting, if it's legs could have held it upright it would be about sixteen inches standing. I was a golden brown in color a shade she couldn't name, Felix would know the name of the color, She set it on her dresser and snapped a pic with her phone, she would show it to him tomorrow.

She looked at it sitting there, there hadn't been any other like it in the store, she had looked so Kia could get one as well if she had wanted. That had been odd these things were seldom unique.

She left it sitting there on the dresser and went about getting ready for bed. Soon after laying her head on the pillow Lilly Pryor was fast asleep.

On the dresser the golden brown Teddy bear sat, it black button eyes staring at the teen-aged girl dreaming a few feet away.

Black button eyes that suddenly blinked.

Spoiler

This was written by Long, SMax, Noir and AWS ST

Sean

Wednesday Morning, Between First and Second Period

Sean left first period with a swagger in his step, in no rush to make it to his next class in time. It was just ITE 1 (Information Technology Essentials 1) - he'd already pretty much done at the assignments and lab work required for the class, they just wouldn't give him credit for the class or a spare. He was pretty sure it was Chet's fault. But the teacher let him show up late in trade for essentially being a TA for the class. Really, he knew more about the subject than the teacher did.

Yeah, school had been hell, but Sara was taking the abuse with her typical uncompromising aplomb, and Sean was trying to do the same. He hadn't really considered going to a school Dance before or having a girlfriend, but now that he was and that he did (at least in his own mind), he was finding he liked it. A lot. Sara had come over for supper last night, and after a bit of initial awkwardness, everyone seemed to get a long. Laurelei was still bewildered that he was taking a girl to Homecoming but his mother seemed happy on his behalf.

He glanced over as Chloe fell into step with him. She was also a junior, not much taller than he was, cute with a pixie cut.  But didn't say anything and just sighed, waiting for her pitch. It didn't take long.

"So, I know you've said no every before," she said without preamble, "But I have some new arguments about why you should join Concert Choir--"

"Okay," Sean said, with a small, private grin as Chloe continued without pause.

"First, it looks really good on - wait! What?!" Chloe spun around in front of him and stared at him in complete shock. "What did you say?"

"I said, okay. Next semester, I'll take Concert Choir," Sean confirmed, that small grin still on his face as Chloe tried to process his acceptance, clearing wanting to still sound out her arguments, despite there now be no need.

"Well.... good!" Chloe finally said with a sharp nod. A puzzled furrow appeared between her fair brows. "Why?"

Sean just shrugged. Last night, after supper, Sara had played her guitar for him, when they had been hanging out in the barn. And he in turn had sung along with the few songs they both knew. For so long, like the last five years or so, he'd been embarrassed by his feminine attributes and he peers had mocked him mercilessly for them. But now, there was someone who found them attractive and endearing and he was starting to learn to take pride in them, or at least accept them as an part of himself. This seemed like one way to do it.

"Fine then," Chloe muttered, then chuckled as they both continued walking to their next class. "Had I known it would just hooking up with a dyke to get you to join Concert Choir Sean, I'd have set you up with Sara or even another girl a long time ago. There's probably someone in Choir who'd take one for the team to get you to join.

"There's one condition, Chloe," Sean said in a cold tone, stopping her this time, his eyes hard as he faced her directly. "Enough with the casual insults. Be polite towards Sara or I'm out."

"Sure, fine, whatever," Chloe replied airily, but when Sean frowned, she nodded and added, her sincerity only a bit forced, "I am sorry, Sean. As long as she doesn't bitch at me, I won't bitch her back."

"Good. I'll see you in Concert Choir next semester then." Sean nodded then took the turn towards the computer lab.

"Jeez, he gets a place to stick his wick and suddenly grows all fierce and shit," Chloe muttered to herself as she headed towards her next class, then paused, cocking her head as she considered.

Now that she thought about it, the girlish Sean had always had a loud big mouth for such a small guy and seemed to get into fights more than most. And while he did usually end up losing, nobody could say he didn't try. Maybe his fierceness wasn't a new thing. Huh...

Sean

Wednesday Afternoon, After Last Period

"There you are, you little shitheel," one of Chet's lackey's said in a threatening tone. "You think you're all that, strutting around just because the little faggot is taking the dyke to Homecoming?"

Sean turned around from unlocking his bike, keeping the chain in his hand, upon seeing two of Chet's minions. Maybe Sara was being a bad influence on him, but he was feeling the urge to be extra assertive of late. He shot the goon - he knew the names of Chet's lackeys, but never used them, seeing them as nothing more than extensions of Chet - a scoffing sneer.

"As a guy, if admittedly not a big one, I can hardly be gay if I'm taking a girl to Homecoming, now can I?" Sean countered in a tone suitable for a child or someone with a mental handicap. "One the other hand, you two always seem to be together or with Chet, with nary a girl in sight. Are you two going to Homecoming together? If so, very progressive of you. Good luck. Now fuck off."

"You got a really smart mouth-" Goon Two began, but Sean cut him off.

"Nah, I'm just smart. You two aren't."

"That's it you little bastard!" Goon One roared. "Chet just wanted us to knock you down a peg. Now, we're gonna make so the only way you're gonna make it to Homecoming is in a wheel chair!"

"Ah-Ah!" Sean warned, skipping back a few steps as the Goons advanced, starting to swing the chain a little but focusing more on his smartphone and pulling up an App he wrote and scrolling through the options "If I have to, I will go the Homecoming in a wheel chair. But what you have to consider is this, will Chet or your parents replace your phones, your computers, and your consoles after they've been bricked?"

The goons paused, then looked at each other, then back at Sean.

"Huh?" they said simultaneously.

"Take a step closer and I turn all that stuff into paperweights," Sean clarified. "Just with a push of a button."

The Goons shared a look again, then Goon One ventured, "That's bullshit! You can't do that. Not from your phone."

"Take a step closer, and we'll all find out just what I can do with my phone. But remember guys who the faculty turn to when they have computer troubles - Me, not Mr. Wojchek. I can't pull this with Chet - he dad will just get him new stuff, but I figure you guys can't get it all replaced so easily."

The Goons were starting to look doubful, but weren't willing to back down just yet. "And what will you do if we rush you and take your phone away and smash it? Or tell everyone what you did?"

Sean affected a nonchalant shrug. "I'll get the shit beaten out of me, but your shit will still be trashed if I don't disable the countdown in an unspecified amount of time. And I'll say I didn't do it. Even if they think I did, they'll never prove it."

"Countdown?" from Goon Two.

"Well, duh! Insurance policy, I don't want my phone broken. If I don't put in a code, your electronics will be bricked automatically."

The Goons shared another look - Sean was beginning to think shared a brain, or have of one - then started to back off.

"This isn't over Sissidy!"

"It is for today."

Sean watched them leave and after making sure there was enough distance between them, climbed on his bike and pedaled home. Idiots! I better do some hacking tonight and write that App, just in case. The consoles will be tricky, but at least I know their gamertags. As for... The bike home went quick as he mentally starting mapping out how to make his bluff real.

Sean

Thursday Evening

Sean was in the kitchen, helping to make supper, which he did often enough, though he was better at baking. So they had compromised on a chicken pot pie. The meat and vegetables had already been cut and he was making the crust now while his mother finished the filling. He was humming, in a good mood, despite a mild headache and some twinges in his back from a couple of elbows at school that had left bruises.

"So, I don't want to pry," Sean's mother began, "but have you and Sara figured out how you're getting to Homecoming? Is Sara driving you two?"

"She doesn't have access to a car," Sean was forced to admit. The idea of how they would get to Homecoming had been a vague consideration in his head, but now that his mother brought it up, it seemed much more important.

"Well, I'm driving Laurie and he date, I can drive you two as well," Carolyn Cassidy offered as she began filling the crust.

"I... guess..." Sean accepted, a bit morosely.

Carolyn sighed. Sometimes, even for her, it was hard to remember that her brilliant and precious boy was actually a junior in High School. And Sara was a senior. Neither of them would really want to be seen being driven to Homecoming by a parental unit. "How about this? Does Sara have her license?"

"Well, yeah, I think so," Sean said, with a curious tilt to his head after putting the chicken pot pie in the oven.

"Okay, I give her the keys and lend you two the car for the night, on the condition that you drive Laurie and her date to and from Homecoming. Does that work for you, hon?"

"Yes! Yes it does," Sean agreed happily. "Thanks mom." And he gave her a rare hug, which was usually reserved for her birthday and that was about it.

"No problem. Just don't do anything that will require me to explain things to your father, okay?"

"No promises!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sean tapped at the door, then eased it open. "Hey, sis, can I ask you something?"

Laurelei sat up in her bed, setting aside the textbook she had been reading. "Sure. But I'm warning you now, just because Sara is driving us all to Homecoming, that doesn't make you or her the boss of me!"

Sean barely refrained from rolling his eyes, since he needed a favour from her. Still, he had no intention of letting her tag along to the senior Afterparty at the Lake. He might not look it, but he was still her older brother. "I wouldn't dream of it, Laurie. See, I... umm, I don't know how to dance. I looked at YouTube vids, but well, it's not the same and I was wondering... could you show me a few steps, so I don't look like a complete numpty at Homecoming?"

Laurelei blinked, a slow, cunning grin coming to her lips. "You want me to show how to dance?" Sean nodded. "I can do that, but in return, I want you to dress-"

"No! That's it! Sorry I asked!" Sean turned to leave and Laurelei quickly stood up and caught Sean's arm.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Sean," she apologized. "I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sure, I can help you out."

Laurelei closed her bedroom door, then went to her computer and put on some dance music. She'd taken some dance classes and was a cheerleader, she had all sorts of dance music. "First thing, neither you nor Sara - as far as I know - are trained dancers, so don't worry about specific steps and stuff. Just do what 95% of what everyone else does and bounce and sway with the beats, and stand close and sway on the slow songs. Get over here and I'll show you some moves."

"This feels weird," Sean groused when Laurelei had him put his hands on her hips and she had hers on his shoulders.

"Gawd! Don't be baby! You were one of my bras last year and have you own heeled boots."

"Don't remind me," he muttered sourly.

"I'm just saying... Look, am I pretty?" she asked

"What?! You're my sister!"

"Yes, and am I pretty?"

"No!" He paused. "I guess, sort of. Only because of Halloween do I know you wear a bigger bra than mom or Teagan, so there's that."

"Thanks for that," Laurie said wryly. "And do you find me pretty? Do you want to make out with me?"

"What?! Of course not! You. Are. My. Sister." Sean said the words slowly and distinctly, in case she hadn't understood the first time.

"Right, so no romance here. Perfectly platonic, nothing weird. Just showing my bro how to dance. A little."

"A short joke? Really?"

"A small one. Now come on, it's really not that hard. I promise, nobody is going to make fun of your dancing." Just for everything else. "Barely anyone really knows how to dance anyway. Now, get your hands on my ass!"

"Laurie!"

INTERLUDE

Homecoming Week

The Irregulars

Dates made and new relationships solidified over the course of a very busy week.

After the Tuesday shopping trip to Great Falls, Lilly and Kia set out, with some help from Talena, to find a date for Felix. All did not go as planned and Felix made it abundantly clear that he was not interested in being fixed up even if he did acknowledge that the girls were only doing it so he wouldn't feel left out. After his somewhat forceful refusal of any matchmaking attempt on his part he did, in part because he felt a bit guilty snapping at his friends over something he felt was silly, agree to go to the dance stag and to the party afterwords.

Lilly had had a small scare the morning after the trip when she woke with a nagging mild headache and found that the teddy bear Sandy had bought was now sitting on the other side of the dresser than where she had put it when she went to bed the night before. She thought she might have dreamed about it during the night and though she couldn't remember thought she might have gotten up during the night and maybe moved it. Still it creeped her out and she shoved it into a drawer. At breakfast she found out that her dad had checked in on her and had found the bear on the dresser. He had picked it up wondering where she had gotten it since she hadn't been into stuffed animals in quite some time. Strangely relived she had put it back on the dresser before leaving for school.

Sandy for his part was attentive to Lilly but not clingy or needy. But it was obvious that he was trying to make her like him.

Kia was very flirty with Abel and Abel played right along. The two even if they weren't dating seemed to enjoy each others company.

Alec and Telena spent a lot of time together as well, and while Alec hadn't done any more than ask her to the dance it was clear to anyone who saw them that she adored him.

Wednesday was a bad day for Sean and to a lesser degree for Sara, with both of them taking a drubbing of teasing and bullying for their sudden relationship. A great many thought it was a sham and those who lived for making other peoples lives hell centered in on those two. The worst of the teasing was instigated by Chet and his little sycophants. Wednesday night after Sean had put Chet's two goons in their place the bullies ran into Sara at the bowling ally. Chet made the mistake of badmouthing Sara and Sean without realizing that some of her Indian friends were there and heard all the crud and nasty things he and his friends said. Later when they left the bowling ally the Rez boys confronted the three and there was some pushing and shoving and some punches were thrown. Chet Showed up at school the next morning with a busted lip and a black eye his asskisser friends looked worse. They gave Sean and Sara a lot of glares but the teasing had stopped. At least for now.

All in all it was a good week and everyone was looking forward to Fridays game and dance with excitement

Thursday Late Afternoon

Bulwark AFB

Levels 3 and 4

“No nothing, not anything. How many times do I have to say this,” Dr Mizuki was trying hard not to let his annoyance show in his voice but after three hours of answering asinine questions time after time it was getting difficult.

Earlier in the week they had received the two new larger Stepping Stone Portals, each 3 meters across large enough for a man in a protective suit much like a astronauts spacesuit, to walk through. One of the portals was a transmission portal connected with a receiver portal at the alpha site while the other was a receiver connected to the Alpha site transmission portal.

Each Portal had been mounted in a large circular metal and ceramic frame in two separate rooms on the 4th level of the Site here at Bulwark. The portals themselves were of course invisible with the only point of reference telling an onlooker where the portal was located was the frame itself.

Once they had been installed and connected to the onsite power grid testing had begun. The first tests on Wednesday had gone well with several inanimate objects being sent through both sites. But today's tests had been less than spectacular.

While the beta site at Bulwark had sent several large inanimate objects through to the alpha site, the objects sent from the Alpha site to the Beta site had not arrived.

And no one could even fathom why.

Mizuki, the scientists, and the technicians were running ever conceivable test but in truth they didn't know what they were looking for. Everything told them that the receiver portol was still active and functioning as it should be. And things sent through at the alpha site disappeared but didn't come out here. So where were those things.

“Dr. Mizuki,” a technician monitoring the portal shouted! Everyone in the room looked at the screen something was happening at the portal.

At first it was a shimmer then it solidified into a large silver disc within the frame almost but not quite touching it metal ring.

Instinctively Mizuki knew he was looking at a portal the actual visual portal.

Several seconds passed with everyone staring then activity burst as everyone began running tests and Taking readings only to stop when a dog stepped through the portal.

The animal was a fully grown Doberman Pinscher, as soon as it stepped out of the portal the silver disc vanished. The dog calmly looked around then stepped down off the ramp leaving the platform once on the floor it sat and looked up at the camera expectantly.

Bulwark AFB

Level 4

A Short Time Later

The first thing Dr. Mizuki had done was call the Alpha site when they assured him that they hadn't sent anything else through much less a dog he declared a security emergency and contacted Lt Col Pryor.

With in minutes Col Pryor had a security team  standing outside the receiver room. Inside the dog  was now laying down alternating between watching the door and the camera.

Mizuki and Col Pryor were in a control room nearby on the same level watching the scene from several screens showing various angles. The same thing they were watching was being sent to the alpha site

The Beta site was on Lock down.

The door opened the dog looked over at it. A security airman stepped into the room he was armed with a sidearm which was holstered. In his hands he carried a snag leash used by animal control to capture strays.

The airman slowly approached the animal speaking to it soothingly.

“Good boy, that's a good boy. We're not going to hurt you boy.”

The airman stepped closer.

The dog looked at him, bared his teeth and growled.

“You are not going to put that thing on me. And get me some water, I am thirsty?”

Homecoming Day

Shelly Mt

The day at school had been wild and raucous school spirit soared, all the kids and even the faculty were dressed in the school colors, the halls and exterior of the building draped with banners. The whole city had a festive air this was the last game of the regular season and Football was on everyone's mind

That and romance and partying of course.

The irregulars met as usual to discuss their plans for the game and the dance. Since Alec, Lilly, and Kia, as well as Sandy (who had even sat with the gamer's at lunch a couple of times during the week when Lilly did), all had to be at the game it was decided that they would change to their dance wear after the game here at the school. Talena and Abel would attend the game ready for the dance. And all of them would go to the dance after the game.

Felix who had reluctantly agreed to attend the dance was also all but forced to go to the game with his parents. He would join his friends at the dance after his folks left to go home and catch a ride with one of them to the party.

Sean and Sara would be skipping the game instead they would take and drop off Sean's sister and date then go to dinner then the dance.

It was decided by the group that after the Homecoming King and Queen were announced that they would all meet up at Sean's to change clothes and then head to the lake for the party. It would be about 10:00 pm by then.

Lilly and Kia had been a little preoccupied during the morning. Being from the base their lives ran a little different but that friday had dawned a bit unusual for both of them. Neither of their fathers had come home from work the night before and on their way to school they had driven past the Tracking installation where Kia's dad worked and the saw the unmistakable heavy security surrounding the place. This had been on their mind and Kia even confided to Lilly that her dad had been weird about work for a couple of weeks now. While neither girl forgot about what they had seen or the concerns they had for their fathers the events were pushed to the back of their minds by the excitement of the day.

Felix had had a bad night. He woke several times because of nightmares he couldn't remember and a headache which was worse than the mild one he had been having most of the week and couldn't get back to sleep so he occupied himself by drawing. But what he was drawing was not his usual. For what seemed like hours he filled sheet after sheet of the most horrifying monsters he had ever drawn. And for the life of him he couldn't think of how he came by them. Some were of insects, like beetles or roaches, but armored with heavy scales and extra limbs of them tipped with wicked serrated blades. Others were obviously supposed to be spiders but with too many legs and with arms again with tips made of blades or tentacles. And there were other things that made no sense even after he had drawn it.

All in all the lack of sleep had put him in a bad mood that and his parents decision to go to the football game and drag him along.

Abel also slept bad Thursday night, something was nagging him and he was unable to put his finger on it. He woke up and had been dreaming of the day his powers had come to him, the day his dog had run away.

But like the other the excitement of the coming day but his troubled thoughts to the back of his mind.

Kia and Dr. Mizuki

Home Before the Game

Kia was up stairs putting her dress in a travel bag so it wouldn't wrinkle , she was already dressed in her cheerleader outfit, when she heard the front door open and close and the weary voice of her father calling to her mother. Kia smiled a big smile and put he dress down and all but ran out her room to greet her father who had been at work for what seemed like forever.

Warm greeting ensued and a smattering of small talk. Her father was very apologetic about not being around and that he would unfortunately have to miss her homecoming game. He had just come home to shower and get a change of clothes. He apologized to both his wife and his daughter for the inconvenience of his work emergency and wished he could talk about it but could not.

Her mother obviously not pleased changed th subject by asking Kia if she was ready for the game.

“Oh yes mother I just finished putting my dress in the bag and Lilly will be here at five thirty. We will go go to Abel's and leave Lilly's truck there...,”

“What did you say,Kia,” He father spoke sharply, “where did you say you were going?”

“To Abel's dad. He's my date,” answered Kia alarmed by her fathers harsh words.

Her father just stared...

Earlier that day

Project Stepping Stone

Beta Site Level 4

The dog had allowed itself to be moved to a smaller room where it was given water and food. It declined to speak anymore the soldiers who had encountered the animal were isolated from contact with anyone else and eventually Dr. Mizuki and Col. Pryor went in to see the dog themselves. The alpha site had wanted them to drug the animal and examine it to verify that it was indeed a dog or if it was a dog if the speakign could be some form of broadcasting. The alpha site had dispatched “expert” to spearhead the investigation. Mizuki and Pryor took the opportunity their travel time would take to hold off on tranquilizing the dog and see if they could learn more from it.

The doberman lifted it's head when the two men entered the room it sniffed and it stubby tail wagged excitedly.

Col Pryor crouched down to appear less threatening, “That's a good boy, can you speak again boy?”

The dog rose to its feet and slowly approached the Colonel and sniffed again. He sat down.

Where is Abel? I want Abel.”

The two men were shocked but try as they might they could coax no more words from the dog.

Who was this Abel?

Kia and Dr. Mizuki

Home Before the Game

“Your boyfriend is called Abel,” asked Dr. Mizuki excitedly?

“Well he isn't my boy friend, dad, not really. But yeah his name is Abel. You have met him his father is the doctor in town,” replied his somewhat worried daughter.

Dr. Mizuki's first instinct was to immediately call Col Pryor and relay this to him but then he saw his daughters look and realized that if he did this then her night would be ruined.

No he decided this was nothing that couldn't wait until tomorrow.

“Yes ok, I remember of course. I am just tired. But I think I will not go back to work tonight. I think after I shower that we should go to the game and watch our daughter.”

D'r Mizuki smiled at his daughter and his wife both of whom were beaming back at him. Yes and meet this boy who may belong to this remarkable dog. But first I must call Micheal Pryor and let him know that the animal must not be harmed or bother but must be cared for.

Sean and Sara

Before the Game

Jake Hutchins had been very surprised when his daughter Sara had asked him for a ride to the Cassidy place again and even more surprised when she told him she was going to the Homecoming dance with the boy, Sean. But the biggest surprise was when she came out dressed for the dance.

Jake hadn't seen his daughter in a dress since before she had been a teenager. And with the way she acted and usually dress never expected her to ever wear one again. He didn't even think she owned one anymore. When she came out of his room he was struck wordless. His daughter was beautiful.

Sara hadn't even thought about what to wear until the other girls were all talking about their dresses and she over heard Abel,Sean, and Alec talking about their suits, She knew that this dance meant a lot to Sean and Sean meant a lot to her (not that she could explain that) She wanted it to be a great night, no the best night, for him. It had been too late to go to Great Falls like the other girls had and get a dress even if she could afford a really nice one since she had a lot of money saved from her illegal pot business. Instead she went into the moms closet in her dads room. She hadn't taken anything and dad hadn't thrown anything out. No instead his dad had put everything in there in Plastic bags so they would keep.

Sara had rummaged through the closet and picked three or four which she tried on and they just weren't right then she found a blue dress in the very back. She tried it on and it fit perfect like it had been made for her. Sean had said something about his suit being blue she wasn't a fashionista so she hoped they would look good together. She found shoes there in the closet that matched the dress, they didn't fit as well as the dress but she could live with it for a couple of hours.

After leaving school that day she had gone to the lady who cut her hair and did the hair of some of the wives in their neighborhoods. She brought a picture and asked if she could cut her hair like the photo. She paid the lady 25 bucks and after she was done and she saw herself in the mirror insisted on giving her an extra 25.

And now she was standing in front of her dad and noticing a very uncharacteristic glisten in his eyes.

“I hope you don't mind bu ti needed a dress and well mom's stuff was just hanging...”

“No honey, That's is fine you look beautiful in that dress as beautiful, no more beautiful than your mother,” he said quietly.

Spoiler

Clea_6.jpg Sara's hair for the dance. navy-dress-SH-50255-a.jpgThis is her dress.

“I hope that's your date and not the cops coming to arrest your for computer crimes Sean,” called his sister from the front room.

He looked out the window and saw the big Sheriff's Department SUV pulling into the drive. He was suddenly very nervous and his palms felt clammy.

He watched as the sheriff himself got out of the cab and went over to open the passenger side door. Sara had told him that her dad always made one of the deputies drive her where ever she needed to go, that he never drove her himself. Well looks like tonight was going to be full of firsts.

Then Sara got out of the truck.

The Game

It was brutal.

Cut Bank had a much larger field of players to choose from due to the abundance of reservation students who attended the school. Because of that the majority of the players on the field for the Wolves were seniors and tended to be older.

Right out of the gate the wolves played an aggressive game and the Ranger defense was hit hard and gave up 21 points in the first half. Sandy was sacked twice and none of the Rangers plays were completed. It looked like homecoming was going to be a disaster. During the second quarter after his second sacking he told the coach that he should bring in Lily but the coach made Sandy finish the first half.

Spirits were down. Nothing was worse than a homecoming loss.

Lilly went in as QB for the second half. She gave a spirited little speech to her line and did what she did best. The only female QB in the district was unstoppable. Her wide receiver Alec Cordeoux, only a freshman, carried the ball for a record 240 yards.

They shut the Wolves down completely and finished the game with a resounding comeback and win!

Shelly clinches playoff berth, home game with win over Cut Bank

By Terry Gribbs

October 14, 2016

SHELLY – The Cut Bank Wolves set out to spoil Shelly’s regular season finale and Homecoming Friday. The Wolves held the Rangers scoreless for the first half of the Friday night game, however a stunning comeback by the Rangers led by Junior Lilly Pryor during the second half toppled the Wolves hopes of clinching a win and the playoff berth up for grabs. The final score was 21-28 Rangers.

The undefeated Rangers clinch the No. 1-seed in District 1B and will host a playoff game during the opening round of the Class B’s postseason.

Cut Bank falls to 8-1 this season and appears to have a solid chance at a wild card berth.

Friday Class B football scores

Cut Bank 21, Shelly 28
Poplar 56, Rocky Boy 6

The Dance

The couples, Abel and Kia, Alec and Talena, Sandy and Lilly, and Sean and Sara, along with Felix, all met up in front of the school auditorium where the dance was being held. It was a little after 8:30 and a fairly good number of kids had already arrived. They all greeted each other and took some group pictures with various phones and setup before going into the dance where they had to wait in line for the official Homecoming Photographs. Once in the dance proper the friends got cups of punch mingled and even dance some waiting for the announcement of Homecoming King and Queen.

Spoiler

I will give you all a bit of time to post any dance rp you may wish too do. i will move forward lets say if there isn't anything going here by Friday or if you all tell me your ready before then

Felix looks around the place, talking to people trying to gauge the mood of the place. Felix has been feeling stress due to recent events and just wants to relax. Part of Felix wants to dance but is concern about being laugh at as he does not view himself as the best of dancers. He wonders how the others are doing, and figures they are just as stress, some more then others. He looks to see which one to talk to first.

"Hey. I gotta get out of all of this and grab a shower. Think you can help me with my hair when you are done getting ready? I'm gonna need help with my hair." Lilly asked Kia as she pulled off her jersey and shoulder pads.

"Sure. No problem."

Lilly sat down on the bench and started yanking at the laces of her cleats, slipping them off and getting out of her football gear. She grabbed her towel and darted to the showers, taking a quick shower. Lilly dried and got dressed quickly and looked up to see Kia nearly ready.

"Wow. That looks even better on you now than it did in the store. Abel's gonna have a grin from ear to ear." Lilly remarked with a grin.

"Thanks!" Kia replied as she finished her own hair and then moved to help Lilly as traded her eye black of the gridiron for more flattering makeup.

With Kia's help, Lilly was ready relatively quickly and sat on the bench to slip on her heels.

"I hope Sandy has a good time. I never like going in when he gets pulled. No guy likes getting replaced by a girl who ends up doing better, ya know? I mean, Sandy is pretty cool with it now, but still." Lilly commented as she fastened the last strap of her heels.

Lilly had worn heels from time to time, for formal functions on base or weddings or whatever, so though it was not something she wore even monthly, her natural balance and grace more than made up for it.

Finally ready, the pair took the long way around to the front of the auditorium to find their friends and dates. As they rounded the corner Sandy caught the motion out of the corner of his eyes and looked over at them for a moment before doing a double take as the corners of his mouth curled up into a smile. Lilly walked up to Sandy, and noting the smile, she jabbed him rather hard in the ribs.

"Dude. I like never wears dresses or heels. So no jokes, okay?" she said, making a statement more than asking him.

"Huh? Jokes? You look... beautiful." Sandy said, still looking her over in surprise

Lilly blushed and smiled, hooking her arm into Sandy's. 

Lilly smiled and posed for pictures with the rest of her friends, as well as pulling out her own phone to take a few herself before they made their way inside and stood in like for the professional photographs. With that all done, she mingled and danced some, just enjoying being able to relax after such a tough game. She occasionally looked around for Courtney, idly wondering if her elusive, possibly fictional, 'college boyfriend' would be at the dance with her.

Spoiler

Lilly's Dress with Hairstyle in bittom right corner...

large.LillyHomecoming.jpg.a8cc803f81dc04

Abel's own preparations were simple, though he'd left his jacket in the jeep for the game, Now though, he had it and his tie on.   Once the game was over he joined the others waiting for Kia and Lilly to arrive, and was the genial young man so many had come to know.  Of course he was running his mind in halves effectively.  He couldn't shut out all the thoughts from everyone so he tasked some of his capacity to track it, and the other he reserved as his core, simply to interact with his friends free of his powers, and the unwelcome fantasies of others.

Kia needed some help with her own hair as well, and her dress needed to get a discrete pin to hold it tighter around the top. The strapless look was fetching on her, but she was short enough that it needed to cling pretty tightly or give folks an eyeful if it gapped open. The result was more than satisfactory though. Her dress looked like someone had woven it out of water, falling in waves of blue-green that faded from darker at the top to a bright iridescent color at the hemline. It looked fantastic against her deep tan skin tone. She had the slimness and curves to pull the look off, and while the skirt was long, it showed a bit of leg through a slit that let her move fairly freely. Her heels were maybe a bit short for the elegance of the gown, but she wanted to be sure of her footing. At least they were a good cyan color that went with the rest of the outfit.

She grinned and clapped at Sandy's reaction to Lilly's outfit, and went a little ways away to give them some privacy as she looked for her own date.

On seeing Abel coming over, she hopped excitedly on the balls of her feet and waved at him, calling, "Abel! Over here!"

The widening of his eyes on seeing her just broadened her grin even more, and she gave him a quick twirl.

"What do you think?"

Abel was momentarily short circuited seeing Kia in her dress.   She was a stunning young woman, and he found himself turning an appraising eye to her as she asked.   "Breathtaking."  he smiled and found his words again.   "Absolutely great Kia."  He loved that beautiful smile, and despite being something of an odd couple, with him towering over her, even in heels, he could only imagine how good they looked together, and he did note some of the other attendees turning to glance at them.   "You're already turning heads and we haven't even gone inside yet."

Abel himself was dressed in a dark grey Suit that fit him extremely well.   More than that, he'd actually gotten a corsage that matched Kia's dress.   It was Homecoming, after all, despite them ostensibly going as just friends.  "I'm so glad you agreed to come with me, this is going to be so much fun."

Kia squeaked with glee at the praise and hurried over to Abel to let the corsage be pinned.

As he did, she reached out and smoothed the suit over Abel's shoulders, then playfully straightened his tie.

"You look really sharp," she told him warmly. "I like that color on you a lot. Black would have been too formal, you know?"

"Thanks for asking me to go with you."

Abel nodded.  "I do have a black one, but I agree far too formal."   He smiled and offered his arm to her.  "I'm just glad you said yes."  he was really happy right now, this was going to be a great night.   The two of them took pictures with everyone else, some with serious poses and of course some that were anything but.   It was a different side of Abel than what he normally showed, and he smiled.  Kia's energy and good cheer was infectious, and he really didn't mind.

this post was a collaboration with Kia's player  

Sean and Sara

Before the Game

"Pshaw!" Sean scoffed. "If they were coming for me for cybercrimes, it wouldn't be the Sheriff or his deputies. It would be the FBI or the Department of Justice."

"Why do you know that?" Laurelei said back.

"Read it once," Sean replied with a smirk as he moved to the window. "Y'know, research, just in ca..."

Sean trailed off as he saw Sara, his eyes going wide, sudden heat making his skin prickle under his silk shirt. He wasn't entirely sure what he expected - maybe something black? Something... leather? - but it hadn't been this. She looked so different, it was like he was seeing her for the first time, again. He moved over to the mirror, checking his hair - he almost never brushed his hair, but he had tonight, even used a bit of gel - and straightened his tie.

"You keep primping Sean, I'll get the door," Laurie teased.

"No! Stop! I'll get it!" Sean exclaimed, scampering ahead of his giggling sister, who was dressed in lavender, her red-brown hair styled in a complicated looking updo.

Sean waited with poor patience, listening for the approaching footsteps. Should he open the door before she knocked or would that seem to eager? Or how long after she knocked? There came a double-tap at the door and Sean instinctively opened it. And seeing Sara up close, he nearly lost his breath, not noticing or caring if he did that Sara's shoes made her as tall, or slightly taller than Laurie was in bare feet.

"You look very... beautiful tonight," Sean said with only a small hitch in his throat, a slow, wide smile growing on his face. He was doing a good job, but Sara still caught his eyes occasionally drifting down, if admittedly, only a short ways for him. "Elegant."

Sean, for his own part, was looking quite sharp, in a suit that matched the colour of Sara's dress and a shirt that matched his eyes, which made his black tie pop. He was still tiny, but dressing up and styling his vibrant auburn hair made him look slightly older, and there was a growing confidence and self-assurance that made him seem almost taller, even if his eyes didn't quite reach Sara's chin.

Spoiler
d4c7ef1ff163e168ac5b48a91af4c327.jpg
Sean's suit looks like this, except his shirt is the colour of the tie and his tie is black. His hair is similar, except much shorter on the sides (shaved close) and somewhat shorter on top.

"No matter what anyone at school says, they'll all be jealous that I'm the one taking you to Homecoming," Sean claimed, and it didn't sound pompous or boastful, but simply sincere, as he slipped a corsage about Sara's wrist that matched his boutonniere.

"You looked very nice, Sara," Laurie admitted to the older girl, handing her the car keys. "You should wear more than black, leather, and jeans more often. Now let's go, we still need to get my date."

Sara walked toward the Cassidy's front door, her feet already hurt from the heels and she could feel her dads eyes on her back. She reached out to knock but stopped, why am i doing this to myself, she thought. Looking back over her should she saw her dad's big truck still in the drive, she franticlly waved at him to leave and she could barely make out him shaking his head.

With a growl she knocked.

4 hours ago, Sean Cassidy said:

There came a double-tap at the door and Sean instinctively opened it. And seeing Sara up close, he nearly lost his breath, not noticing or caring if he did that Sara's shoes made her as tall, or slightly taller than Laurie was in bare feet.

"You look very... beautiful tonight," Sean said with only a small hitch in his throat, a slow, wide smile growing on his face. He was doing a good job, but Sara still caught his eyes occasionally drifting down, if admittedly, only a short ways for him. "Elegant."

Sean, for his own part, was looking quite sharp, in a suit that matched the colour of Sara's dress and a shirt that matched his eyes, which made his black tie pop. He was still tiny, but dressing up and styling his vibrant auburn hair made him look slightly older, and there was a growing confidence and self-assurance that made him seem almost taller, even if his eyes didn't quite reach Sara's chin.

Seeing the look on Sean's face, the way his eyes lit up, that was all the reason she needed to be here

She looked back at her dad as he put his Sheriff's SUV in reverse, saw him give her a little wave, and even if she couldn't see his face, she imagined a little smile there.

"You look nice too," she smiled at her date and everything felt right.

They picked up Laurie's date, Tim Boehm, a freshman who Sean didn't know all that well and Sara not at all. They were going to the game mainly because Laurie was cheering so Time would be on the sidelines in the stands.

Sara had kicked off her shoes since they made it difficult to drive and they took the two freshmen to the game. after dropping them off the went for burgers and enjoyed a nice dinner just the two of them talking about stuff that didn't matter. Sara was already having fun and liked being in Sean's company, she didn't feel any pressure or need to prove anything. It was quite frankly the best date she had ever had.

They got back in the car and drove to the school they game was still going so they just parked and waited listening on the radio. At some point hey started holding hands and while they made a little small talk mostly they sat in comfortable silence just enjoying being together.

The game ended and they waited a bit longer knowing it would take the rest of the gang to get situated. Sara asked Sean about his plans for his game and Sean started telling her (without revealing secrets), and time got away from them. They would have just sat there all night if Sean hadn't of seen Abel at the entrance to the auditorium taking pictures. The two of them ran over to join their friends laughing.

As they arrived Sean enthusiastically greeted the rest of the Irregulars But Sara had pulled up short when she saw Lilly, Talena and Kia.

Her heart squeezed in her chest they were all three breathtakingly beautiful.

She found it heard to breath. Their dresses were perfect their hair was perfect, their makeup, They were perfect.

And her, plain old her, in a dress that hadn't been worn since before she was born, wearing shoes that hurt her feet. She had no business trying to be someone she wasn't thinking she could be like them like a normal person.

Her hands trembled. She wanted, no, needed a cigarette wanted a joint. wanted to turn and run as far away as she could.

Kia looked over as Sean and Sara came over, and on spying Sara in her dress she emitted an excited shriek and ran over to the taller girl.

"Oh my god, that looks so amazing on you!" she gushed enthusiastically. "Turn around, let me see it!"

Bemused, flustered, Sara's feet must have decided to listen to Kia since Sara herself wasn't doing anything with them, and she did her turn on the catwalk. Kia clapped and caught hold of her arm to pull her towards where the other girls were standing, chatting.

"Come on over here. Guys, isn't her dress awesome?!"

It was the sort of thing that, in another movie, would have been a cynical trap for Sara, set by the bitch-girls who just wanted to set her up for a fall. In a weird kind of way, it would have been easier if that had been the case, maybe. Sara was used to being mistreated and rejected. Being welcomed, while still not quite sure she really fit in...that could be scarier in a way...

Lilly smiled as she saw Sean and Sara approaching. They both looked honestly happy and that only made Lilly smile more. She had known Sean for a while and was glad to see him feeling so good. Sara, on the other hand, she had only really just met, but she could empathize with her to a degree and felt that she deserved some happiness too.

Lilly noted Sara's hesitance and gave Sandy's arm a squeeze before unhooking her arm from his and heading over to Sara.

"Wow! Killer vintage gown." Lilly remarked, looking over Sara with a smile, "You look amazing. Love the hair too!"

"Everybody is in these cookie cutter dresses and here you are with some real style. Kinda like your leather jacket, in a way. You have an eye for that stuff. I'm kinda jealous." Lilly complimented sincerely. 

She then took another step and leaned closer to Sara to talk softly so only she could hear.

"I never wear heels too, but my mom showed me some tricks to make them more comfortable. If you want we can go to the bathroom and I can hook you up." she offered.

Abel, despite having separated his Mental core from his abilities for awhile could easily read Sara's distress as she approached them.   He was about to say something, when of course, Kia sprung into action, pulling her hand from his arm to run over to gush over her.   That Lily joined her was good as well and he moved to follow them, The whole group migrating to her location to include her, within their number.  Sean looked good tonight too, Like a young man for once.  

"You really do look good Sara.  It's a great look for you."   he gave her a real smile and nodded.   "This is going to be a fun dance."

Sean's hand tightened on Sara, stilling her trembles, as Kia and Lilly approached to gush their compliments, the rest of his friends then joining them and he beamed wide. They hadn't even really entered the Dance yet and it was already one of the best days of his life. Dinner had been great and they had talked without any pressure. Even the silences they had shared had been comfortable instead of awkward. There was no way any bully or tormentor was going to wreck this night for him, for them. He wouldn't let them.

Sean nodded at his friends, and complimented Kia and Lilly on their dresses, but to his eyes, Sara looked better than they did. Maybe it was because they were friends first, before potential love interests or is was just his hormones talking, but at the moment, Sean was hardly trying to rationalize his feelings.

Standing right by Sara's side, he heard Lilly's offer about the shoes. He recalled Sara talking them off to drive and a reluctant sigh putting them on again, along with a wince or two so far. Sara had mentioned the dress had belonged to her mother and he figured that meant the shoes did too. Maybe she wasn't used to heels or they weren't the right size?

"If you have a spare pair of shoes in your locker that are more comfortable, you should go get them," Sean suggested softly, then gave Sara a grin he meant to be teasing. "I don't care what shoes you're wearing. They aren't what I'm looking at. Or I'll get them for you, if you tell me your combo."

Cut and run that's what her instincts were screaming but then Kia was there a ball of energy so bright Sara couldn't even focus on what she was saying then Lilly Came both of them seemed so ginuine. The boys complimented her and she found herself being pulled into the group for pictures.

"You all look so great all of you," she stammered.

Soon she was laughing right along with them her anxiety sinking into the back of her head. These were friends and she felt part of them wanted to be part of them.

Sean took his pictures last then came over and took her by the arm and they all went into the dance together.

With Kia taking Abel's arm again as they all went in, the dance was officially joined for the Irregulars, and To be fair, the Student Council had done a good job decorating the gymnasium.   The Music was loud of course, and students were milling about and some were already dancing close to the D-jay.   Of course the chaperones were there watchful as they could be in the darkened gymnasium, and Abel chuckled.   "Honestly."  He could almost hear neck muscles turning as some looked at them come in.   All the girls drew the most overt looks, Though he knew some of the female looks were for himself, and Sean and Alec.   It was kinda great.   Nothing was going to ruin this night.

The music pulsed and the Auditorium floor was filling up Sandy had gone to get punch for Lilly and himself and was on his way back when Lilly notice him flinch and hesitate.

She followed his eyes back to the entrance and there she was, queen bitch herself. 

And her date?

No one had really believed the story that she had started dating a college boy from Great Falls. but here she was making a grand entrance and she was definitely with an older boy.

Spoiler

courtneys boy friend.jpg  Courtney's boyfriend    black-dress-SY-ID3100VP-d.jpgThis is Courtney's dress

Courtney's friends all gathered round as her and her date posed for photos. Once that was done that little crowd made it's way into the main area and staked out they're territory.

They wasted no time heading out to dance, Courtney casting a smirk at Sandy and by association at the rest of the gang.

The two of them almost immediately became the center of the dance floor, within moments it was very obvious that that boy could dance, and that he made Courtney look great out there!

At Courtney's smirk, Lilly just smiled and rolled her eyes, turning her attention to Sandy. She stepped over to him and took her cup of punch.

"You know she's just trying to make you jealous. That's prolly her cousin or something." she said and took a sip of punch.

"I mean, think about it. How is a guy going to college like two hours away not only going to meet her, but also decide he wants to a date a younger, less mature high school girls two hours away?" she asked.

"That, or she's just his 'piece on the side' kept so far away from Great Falls that his real girlfriend will not find out, in which case she is just being used and I feel bad for her." she added. 

"So either go say hi if you want, or just don't let her get to you. I'm cool either way, but what you're doing now is only gonna feed her ego." Lilly said with a shrug of her bare shoulders.

"In which case the doors thankfully open outwards." she chuckled.

"Huh," Sandy looked confused for just a second, "no,  Lilly, no. Courtney was never important to me. Not like you are."

He takes her cup and sets both hers and his on the table the Irregulars had occupied. "That's not her cousin. He's Guy Jorgenson, the Goalie for the Argonauts. That's what surprised me. But your right they don't matter. Only you matter tonight."

He holds out his hand to Lilly, "Want to dance?"

• Nina locked this topic

Archived