Date: Olarunne the 14th

Place: Korth, capital of Karrnath

Dawn broke, with some reluctance, over the city of Korth.

Ana had settled here, in a small dwelling with a draft that didn't bother her as much as it would others, in the hopes of getting to see the Twelve and figuring out what had happened to her dragonmark. However, the Twelve had started out by giving her the runaround, and then something had happened that had made them close their doors. While she waited for them to open, she walked the city.

She found herself at the station for the lightning rail, feeling the crackle in the air and the smell of ozone, and the elemental bound within her dragonmark stirred, sensing the departed presence of one of its kind. It didn't communicate in words, so much as in feelings shaped like concepts - difficult to describe to an outsider. Ana felt she'd have to invent a language just to get the basics down.

She was about to pass through when she caught a familiar sight: two of the crew of the Harmony, the ship she used to serve on. The captain, Dev, was enjoying some ale and bread with one of the lower decks crewmates, a dreamtouched shifter named Rox who had stark white head hair and fur. Both of them seemed in good spirits... for now. Ana thought back to the circumstances of their parting and wondered if that could last...

Lee/Ana

Korth, Karrnath:

"Lee", for that was what she had been calling herself lately, had lingered too long at the rail station. If pressed, she would have said she was just lost in her thoughts- but it wasn't HER thoughts, It was the sensations she could feel from the elemental that she carried- more instincts and feeling than coherent thought, and something she still wasn't fully used to. But she could only stay around the station for so long- some of the Orien personnel had started to recognize her by now, and she definitely didn't want their attention, or the awkward questions which would be sure to follow... So she set out back towards her temporary lodgings, in a path as random as the swirls of wind around her.

And then she saw them- or really, she saw Dev- she recognized Rox (and who wouldn't), but the captain was the one who broke the chain of "thoughts" she had been wrapped up in.

She hesitated for only a second. Dev and his crew were a sharp bunch, and even the look-outs wouldn't match sight with Rox- they would have noticed her, and trying to duck out would only make matters worse. She stepped forward gracefully and stopped a reasonable distance from their table- it wouldn't do to have a 'stray' gust of wind blow their lunch all over the plaza. She gave the captain a ludicrously exaggerated salute and a wide, genuine smile. "Still following me all over Khorvaire, captain?"

"Ana!" Dev brightened at meeting her. He stood up and gave her a hug. "Of all the place...! Rox, did you see?"

"The twist of manifested patterns becomes snarled and jumbled, difficult to make out. Smoke from a campfire versus smoke from a forest fire. Much at once. Too much. Is the fire one that warms or one that burns?"

"Ah, ignore her. She's having one of her little spells..."

Rox suddenly smiled. "Spells? Naw. Just yankin' the anchor. Ana, you ol' so-an'-so, you have a seat an' catch up! We were just enjoyin' a little food before the big trip home."

Ana looked around warily. The street, and the area where they were sitting, weren't exactly crowded- but there were enough people about. And she knew that with the questions she had been asking, someone might be watching her- she didn't want to cause her friends any trouble...

But she hadn't seen them in SO long, particularly Dev. She slid into a chair, pausing to lean forward for just a moment. "Call me 'Lee', at least here-abouts," she whispered conspiratorily. Then she leaned back a bit. "So, if not my charming company, what DOES bring you all to this part of the world? And where are you bound from here?"

What she really wanted to ask was "Still need a capable hand aboard ship?", but she knew she couldn't do that. Not now, not yet. She had been asking questions, but she hadn't gotten many answers. At this point, her presence, and the power she carried bound within her, would be more of a danger than a boon- no matter what she wanted to do. Perhaps in time...

Dev took a swig of his drink, then set it back down. "Right now the Harmony is being fitted with a new binding ring - because someone not at this table cracked the last one and it wasn't up to standards any more."

"This someone'd be nicknamed 'the Hov,' if you take our meanin'. Link spell with Zee cut out at the wrong time. So while it's bein' fixed, we aimed to travel around to places outside the usual run. Casin' up contacts. Just 'bout done an' gettin' ready to hop on the rail. How 'bout you, then?"

"Still chasing the wind," Lee muttered after a moment's thought. She looked around the area again, looking for anyone out of place- but considering how out of place SHE was, she didn't have a lot of hope of spotting anyone; the habit was still a good one.

"Looking for answers, and finding not many. Not sure if I asking the wrong questions, or asking the right questions to the wrong people." She looked up at the sky, idly tracing one of the passing clouds. "I'd thought there might be answers here, but..."

"Still, not much to be done but keep chasing. It's like seeing those first black clouds boiling up- you know the storm is coming, you've got to get ready. Slacking won't keep the ship from wrecking- only work, and luck." She stood back up. "I wish you clear skies, 'specially once you get back in the air, and all the best to the crew. But I'm not sure I'm the best company right here, right now." She bowed, more formally than needed- but if someone was watching it might make this interaction less personal- and less dangerous for Dev and Rox. And as if it sensed her nervousness, the power within her stirred and shifted, ever so slightly- and the wind shifted with it, a sharper gust down the street at her back, just enough to send hats flying and cloaks swirling.

"Leavin' so soon? Huh. It my breath?" Rox breathed on her palm, and sniffed it.

"No, but maybe chew a mint leaf sometime. Lee: once the ship's back in shipshape, I was going to ask. Are you interested in coming back?" Dev put on his more charming of smiles. "We miss you, honest."

Archived