"One person, specifically. A half-breed like - "

Silvertooth paused, as Penda leaned over the bed. "Like what?"

"... like such a fine person such as yourself. She's a half-elf named Beryl Syn. She's a frequent patron of the Grey Dragon. And - there are rumors that when they say she's a half elf, they mean half one kind of elf..."

He waved towards Isstia.

"...and half your kind of elf. Which, I am given to understand, is fairly rare, and may make this a family affair of yours, no?"

Black Scorpion

Sharn

6 Olarune 998 YK/Night

Isstia frowned. “A half drow and half-” She used a drow word that, while it had no direct translation, was a fairly nasty thing to call someone. “No drow would consent to such a thing!” she said with offense. “And she would be no family of mine! Mine were all slaughtered,” she said darkly.

“Beryl Syn…” Isstia rolled the name over, committing it to memory. “You know where this Grey Dragon is?” she asked Prenda.

Black Scorpion

Sharn

6 Olarune 998 YK/Night

Isstia really couldn’t fault Prenda’s logic. While she didn’t doubt the Blessing of Vulkoor could allow her to make the climb, prudence might dictate she utilize all the conveniences of this strange land to give her maximum advantage.

“Get your sky cart,” Isstia nodded, pulling up the hood of her cloak, hiding her drow visage again.

• 2 weeks later...

Penda nodded, and in a few minutes' time, a sky card was hailed.

As it ascended, Penda gripped nervously, white-knuckled, onto the seat.

"Nervous?" asked the cabbie.

"Yeah."

"First time?"

"Naw, I been nervous lots'a times."

Twenty minutes later, the two of them disembarked, Penda paying the cabbie. They walked down the streets towards the Grey Dragon. "So what's the plan, you going to stake the place out?" asked Penda.

Black Scorpion

Sharn

6 Olarune 998 YK/Night

Isstia glanced at Prenda as they rode in the sky car. “You are afraid of heights?” she asked. “You did not say anything when we were climbing,” the drow observed. She settled back in the car, looking out over the city. It was rather dizzying, she had to admit. Trees in Xendrik could get tall, and she had climbed many, but never this high.

When they had reached the Grey Dragon, Isstia studied the place. It was decidedly more upscale than the other tavern. Isstia had noted that the higher one went in the city, the better the neighborhoods became.

Isstia paused, considering Prenda’s question. She wondered if she would be too noticeable. But she needed eyes inside, if this Beryl Syn was already there. She pulled her cowl up further to hide deeper in the darkness.

“We go inside. Perhaps get drinks, a meal, a room? We watch and check the rooms. If she is not there, we wait, watch.”

"Well, complainin' with me on your back might have ended in me gettin' dropped. THere's laws against cab drivers doin' that." Penda went inside to grab drinks at the bar, while Isstia followed.

The restaurant-slash-tavern was at partial capacity, so Isstia didn't have much trouble blending in as long as she stuck to the shadows. She scanned the room, looking for signs of her target.

Isstia, give me a roll - Perception is probably the most appropriate - to see if you can find your quarry before she finds you.

Black Scorpion

Sharn/Grey Dragon Tavern

6 Olarune 998 YK/Night

Isstia slipped around the edges of the room as Prenda went to the bar. Hidden in cowl, cloak, and shadow, she found a place with a good view of the tavern room yet hopefully inconspicuous, her green eyes passing over the patrons, trying to see if she could find this half-drow.

Spoiler

Perception: 1D20+10 = [1]+10 = 11

Well, that was horrible...

Isstia was distracted by the unfamiliar scents and smells of the restaurant/tavern, so she was taken completely by surprise when a voice spoke to her from a few feet behind her.

"You're drow. How interesting. You're a long way from where you belong, aren't you?"

The voice was a woman's, and it had the particular inflections of an elf... and Isstia knew, deep down, that she'd found her half-drow, and that the woman had the drop on her.

Black Scorpion

Sharn/Grey Dragon Tavern

6 Olarune 998 YK/Night

Isstia stiffened as the voice spoke behind her. Damn unfamiliarity of this infernal place! This never would have happened if she was back in the jungles of Xen’drick!

“I am a long way from home,” Isstia agreed, her accent readily apparent. “And who are you?” She hadn’t been given any instructions, so Isstia slowly, carefully, started to turn around to face the voice.

(tags Isstia)

Archived