OOC: Scion: MM General Discussion

Dave ST

I am good to have Austin and Yokiko have a follow-up date,  probably just going out for coffee and a show,  and discussing the doings of their respective bands. He wouldn't just want to get info from her, but if she asks, he'll answer her questions.  I'm game to do this OC in a series of posts either all public, or PM for ease of response and so it doesn't get lost somewhere.   Or simply handling it off-camera, as time permits.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Justin OOC said:

He wouldn't just want to get info from her, but if she asks, he'll answer her questions.

Justin.  Dude.  We all know Austin likes Yokiko, you don't have to specify that he's not taking her out just use her for information.  If you'd like to do it 'on screen' then by all means, start a thread.  You don't need my permission to write side fics as Modern Mythology has an open invitation for Free Writing.  While it does say that your side fics can't have anything to do with the current story, there are exceptions (like coming to me and doing something as simple as asking me if it's cool).

Possible Side Stories-

-What if Darth Vader was evil because he was looking for love in Alderaan places?  Dane tackles the tough questions plaguing today's youth.
-What's Laurie been up to with Eric?  How come you guys haven't seen a whole lot of her lately?
-Yokiko and Austin go on a date where Austin will not take her out just to get information from her because he really likes her.
-Grim meet and greet!  Everyone, come meet Grim and have him stay for a Band meeting or something.  Get him up to speed!
-What if Google was deleted and we couldn't Google what happened to Google... a Dane introspective.
-So, Nadya... still has all your trophies from the Spear-Finger battle guys.  She gonna do anything with them?
-What's Rachel/Taryn's home life like after Vidar's visit?  What did he tell them that he couldn't share with Rachel?

At anytime you wanna try writing something out, go for it.  If you want me to give you a hand, simply ask.  If you guys want all the little side stories to happen 'off screen' and you just hash out details in the chat room, that's cool too, I know a lot of us are short on time.  You tell me what you want to do and how you wanna handle it.

Justin, if you wanna do the date 'on screen', get it started, I'll gladly write for Yokiko.

About those trophies.... I haven't played Scion at the table, only here, so I just have the books to go on. In the books, monsters drop trophies that generally have set effects, but they don't really go into relics after play has started beyond saying you can earn them.  How are you going about it in this game? You've mentioned before about getting them forged - how so? And in what way? As Relics I presume, but how many dots and can we choose what we get? Only purviews, or unique powers?

But most importantly, beyond asking Archie, who do we go see about getting them forged into whatever? Do you have some NPCs planned, or are you fine with us making them up? I had the sense you had some trophy-benders in mind, so that was why I hadn't pushed it, thought you'd reveal them in your own time.

I'd say everything doesn't have to be Norse this and Norse that... but Norse Mythology is the one I'm most familiar with, followed by Celtic and Greek/Roman, so...

Probably dwarves, if not 20 feet tall. Would have Nadya ask if they sing like the dwarves in The Hobbit, and have them counter they prefer breakdancing and hip-hop.

1 hour ago, Nadya Lunălescu said:

About those trophies.... I haven't played Scion at the table, only here, so I just have the books to go on. In the books, monsters drop trophies that generally have set effects, but they don't really go into relics after play has started beyond saying you can earn them.  How are you going about it in this game? You've mentioned before about getting them forged - how so? And in what way? As Relics I presume, but how many dots and can we choose what we get? Only purviews, or unique powers?

But most importantly, beyond asking Archie, who do we go see about getting them forged into whatever? Do you have some NPCs planned, or are you fine with us making them up? I had the sense you had some trophy-benders in mind, so that was why I hadn't pushed it, thought you'd reveal them in your own time.

See?  These are the things I need to know.  Okay, it breaks down like this: some Titanspawn will leave behind trophies.  A trophy and a relic are not the same thing.  For example, when you defeat a nemean creature its hide is the trophy, the clothing that can be made is the relic.  You can't just wrap the skin around yourself and be protected, it needs to be made into something that can provide you with protection.

As for the relics themselves, the finished product is what it is.  That means you don't get to pick and choose any powers that go into it, it's not like when you make relics at character creation.  For example hollowing out the tusks of a nemean boar might grant the players with a drinking 'horn' that, once stoppered, keeps any liquid placed within it chilled and fresh indefinitely (great for etir).  The frozen heart of a powerful Yuki-Onna might grant a player access to the Frost purview.  Everything is decided by the ST to help the players get access to the things they want/need to put their characters on the path they want to be on, without over awarding them with powerful objects that throw the game off balance.  One it's a relic, unless it's a consumable one, it's generally indestructible, but can still be lost.

Forging relics is an art that only a few legendary creatures can do, players generally can't unless it fits the theme of their divine parent (like a Scion of Hephaestus), or they actively seek to learn the knowledge on their own, and even then it takes a lot of training and ST permission.  To clear it up now, I generally do not allow PCs to make relics from trophies because they have a tendency to bother me into wanting to customize them and add all sorts of OP garbage like ranged aggro damage that not soakable and shit like that.

As recompense for not allowing players to make relics, I generally always have some sort of critter or caper in mind that will allow them to benefit from the spoils of the war their fighting in.  Until trophies are processed into relics they don't do much with some exceptions, like giant's blood is pretty much ready to drink right out of the container, powdering horns is also pretty easy, but you need to know this sort of stuff.  I don't recommend powdering and drinking everything you guys stumble across.

5 hours ago, Rachel Cooper said:

Rachel looks askance at Laurie then moves from the center of the groupe to where Wolf is and sits down on the ground next to her where she starts petting the large puppy.

"Well I have never claimed to be the smarted and I am not the wisest, so Fisher, Grim, what do we need to do about those ghost witches?"

So, I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly that Rachel is ignoring both Grim and Laurie and changing the subject. I'm not so much worried about her intention (because, hey, we're writing for entertainment and drama is part of that), just checking that this is the action other people are actually seeing.

Hey, guys, just a heads-up: This is the last week of classes, and final exams are next week for me, so I'll probably be scarce (and not reading/posting) for the next several days as I super-casually try to write a pair of research papers and study for finals.

Yee.

aparna nancherla lol GIF by bubly

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dave has expressed interest in continuing this game when he's able to do so. Although I'm not sure how many people will still be around then, I'm going to do my best to hold this space for him until either that time comes, or he decides to transfer things to another site. Expect to see periodic comments from me here until then. :) Also, if any of you have questions or comments, feel free to leave them here as well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This house is being cleaned.  Now that I'm back home, as promised, I want to get a head count so we can get these stories back up and going.

Sound off with interest so I can adjust the storyboards to accommodate the new cast.

Thanks!

I'll stick around.

As an aside, guys, Artemis might be just a tad, a smidge really, miffed, about something that may or may not have gone missing, that in a roundabout way, if you squint really hard, could be considered the fault of someone in particular. I don't wanna name names...

Between the Homecoming dance and the next episode "Quit Yer Witchin'" will be about a week of in-game time.  In that time, it's assumed that the PCs have been souring Salem looking for where ever the escape d witches fled to but have so far, ended up with nothing.  More importantly it also means Halloween is coming up and everyone is invited to the big Halloween bash that Mercedes Rhodes throws every year.  Normally you wouldn't be invited, but you weren't Scions last year and not inviting you would be an insult that not even her stuck up Pantheon is willing to deal with, so, congrats!  A night with Mercedes!

In the mean-time, that give the PCs a week worth of writing opportunities amongst themselves.  Like pick out costumes or Nadya finally going to meet the guy who can forge birthrights for the band...

As always, you're adults, I trust you to handle things and if there is something you are not sure of or you'd like my help with something.

1 hour ago, Nadya Lunălescu said:

I was about to post or PM for details about said guy. If you had already sent me some, I'll admit to completely forgetting about them.

Got with you on Discord.  If you like, round up a buddy or two and go handle that.  :)

Archived