Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Faz danced between the attackers looking for an opportunity to sew confusion with his disguise as one of their number. It wasn't happening. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the heavy hitter hitting his erstwhile metal ally rather heavily. The time for subtlety was over.

"I hope your code-phrase is 'ouch'." He growled as he began to change forms again. At first it seemed he was morphing back into a changeling, but even as his features blurred and his flesh turned pale he began to grow. His limbs lengthened and grew hideously muscular. He hunched forward as his head, now the size of a wash basin, threatened to crack into the ceiling. Still apparently wearing the stretched and torn uniform of the Talon he had been imitating, Faz had taken on the appearance of a hulking cross between a changeling and some kind of ogre or giant. His milky eyes glared down at the foes which he now dwarfed and he grimaced in anger (or was it hunger?) so his lipless mouth revealed rows of needle sharp teeth.

He formed his massive, clawed hand into a fist and swiped it through the assembled fighters, aiming to backhand the Talon he had been imitating into whichever wall the laws of physics and fortune permitted.

 

Spoiler

Sorry for the delay folks. I'm not sure how the timing of my actions can be accounted for, given that, but I'd like to do my transformation and my attack as expeditiously as can be managed. Let me know when my actual attack comes up and I'll make the roll.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(doh! Sorry, I managed to forget that! Lets go with straight up damage then...to the face! POW! I will adjust my post.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Faz, the shapeshift is good, and shapeshifting takes up an action. You'll go in the initiative order as such: Steel Falcon > Faz > Tobias > Baddies.


 

Spoiler

 

Barricade Toughness save: 1D20+9 = [2]+9 = 11

Failed by 14 for three degrees; Barricade is staggered, and a hit that hard again will send him down for the count (in theory.)

 

Steel Falcon wound up, connecting with Barricade squarely on his golematically-enhanced chin, sending him flying up end over end and sending him crashing to the ground in a heap of dust. The enhancements in his body made telling signs of stress failure and fatigue as he struggled to stand back up.
 

Quote

 

Status quo for the end of round one:

Tobias: struck by an Eagle Claw attack, injury unknown

Steel Falcon: -1 to Toughness saves

Faz: uninjured; shapeshifted into big damn ogre

Barricade: -1 to Toughness, staggered

Eagle Claws: uninjured

Terror Claws: uninjured.

Round 2 begins. Tobias, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bolt cut through the air and left a laceration across Tobias' forearm, but nothing severe. It seemed finesse was not of much help here. Once again, Tobias reverted to the more blunt aspects of the Silver Flame, letting the eternal fires ride forth against the first of the Claw spheres.

Spoiler

Toughness: Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 7+10: 17
-1 to DR checks

Attack roll (PA -2/+2): Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 19+8: 27

Toughness DC 27

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

Toughness Save (DC27): 1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22

Failed by 5; Eagle Claw #1 is at -1 to Toughness checks.

 

The telekinetic apparatus was wreathed in flames, and while the pilot twists and avoided the worst of it, some of the supernatural heat had made it through the bubble and into the controls.

"Alpha!" called out the unwounded one. "Barricade is in trouble! I'm covering him!"

"But - he - dammit, Beta - " Alpha, the one that Tobias had wounded, stayed to attack Tobias, while Beta turned his bolts on Steel Falcon.
 

Spoiler

Meanwhile, Barricade staggered to his feet, sizing up the warforged in front of him. "Nice shot. Let's see if you can fight with your eyes fused into glass - "

The omni-weapon that made up his arm reconfigured, and fired what looked like a magical flare at the Steel Falcon, There was a blinding flash of light...
 

Spoiler

 

Attack roll for Flare Cannon: 1D20+9 = [19]+9 = 28

That's a hit. Steel Falcon needs to make a Fortitude save, DC 18. Failure by one degree means her vision is impaired; failure by two degrees means it is disabled.

 

Finally, the Terror Claws manage to jockey for position a bit more, and the newly shapeshifted Faz finds himself facing down four attackers, not just three. It didn't do any good, as they found their attacks surprisingly difficult to land, on such a large target...
 

Steel Falcon, you have the initiative. What is your action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was more luck than skill that caused the movement on the side to catch Lysa's eye in time to see the threat from that direction. With a grunt she whirled and caught the incoming bolt on her armored forearm, deflecting it entirely.

Then Barricade's weapon discharged, engulfing her in blinding light!

The light faded, leaving afterimages on the eyes of everyone present. Everyone except Lysa, it seemed. She glared at him, unfazed.

"You're going to need a few more of those if you want to fuse anything of mine," she gritted.

[SalmonMax] 3:13 pm: Two toughness saves, DC 21, and a fort save DC 18
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 4+10: 14
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 11+10: 21
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 19+10: 29
[SalmonMax] 3:13 pm: Hm. Bummer on the first, but I'm outta HP so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Max, only one of the Eagle Claws is attacking you - the other is still focused on Tobias. I'll rule that you can have your 21 be the Toughness save vs. it, if you wish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(OOC - Gah, sorry, my bad! Well that's an incredibly generous offer, so I'll accept it with gratitude. :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2016 at 5:07 PM, SalmonMax said:

(OOC - Gah, sorry, my bad! Well that's an incredibly generous offer, so I'll accept it with gratitude. :))

No problem. Now: what's your action on this turn?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(OOC - Sorry for the delay, I'll make sure I get all my rolls and actions posted in a single post moving forward.)

For a moment Lysa hesitated, torn between Barricade and this new threat. Neither was ignorable, but Barricade seemed more dangerous. She had him off balance...it behooved her to try to keep him from getting back onto his feet. Hopefully the Claw didn't have more surprises to launch at her back!

She clomped forward and grabbed at Barricade's weapon arm...not to disarm it, but to haul him roughly up so she could aim a punch at him!

Attack: 1d20+10 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Barricade's Parry is a 9, for a target of 19, so that's a miss.

Barricade's arm click-clacked and rotated as he reversed the grab, then as Steel Falcon reversed the reversal, he slipped free.

"You zzzt you're good. I'll grant yy-y-ou-u that-t." Despite his bluster, Barricade looked in bad shape.

Quote

Faz, your action is up. What do you do?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The aforementioned massive claw let fly at one of the encircling puny claws! Faz did his best to follow through with the strike and not get too preoccupied by his desire to strike terror in the hearts of his foes, and any interested bystanders, with his new monsterous form. He did allow himself to indulge in a bloodcurdling roar.

 

Spoiler

Melee attack! I don't have my sheet where I am so just dropping the d20 rolls +10 which I believe is correct but I'll edit if I'm mistaken. I'm giving five rolls at once because if these guys are minions I can keep swinging as I drop them.

 

Swinging through up to five minions! ... If he can.: 1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27
1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29
1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13
1D20+10 = [2]+10 = 12
1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Their Parry is 14, so the first two rolls hit - and drop - minions. You're now facing 4 foes.

Faz-as-an-ogre swung a mighty fist, sending two of them flying, one all the way down the bar, drinks dunking on him as he went.

The other four looked as one to their flying comrades, then looked as one to the one that sent them flying.

"Okay," said one of them. "This could be bad."

Quote

Round 3 begins. Tobias, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time Tobias was prepared, and his shield disintegrated the bolt Alpha sent. Tobias sent back his own bolt in return.

Spoiler

Condition: -1

Toughness
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 14+9: 23

Attacking Eagle Claw Alpha again with Silver Flames.
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 14+10: 24

Toughness DC 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

DC 25 Toughness Save: 1D20+7-1 = [17]+7-1 = 23

Failed by 2; now the Alpha Claw is at -2.

 

The telekinetic attack bubble was wreathed in more flames, and now the apparatus that held it all together was starting to smoke visibly.

"B! This one's trouble! I need backup!" shouted the pilot. Reluctantly, the second pilot swung its bolter back around, and they fired in unison at Tobias.
 

Downstairs, the Terror Claws chose to panic - one of them, anyways, diving under a table in fear. The other three took their swipes at Faz.
 

Spoiler

Finally, Barricade yelled in frustration, sounding like a phonograph skipping in place. His arm reconfigured into a bolter, firing a shot at the Steel Falcon...
 

Quote

 

The state of play:

Tobias: 24 (-1 Toughness)

Eagle Claws: 13 (Alpha at -2 Toughness, Bravo undamaged)

Terror Claws: 13 (was 6 foes, now 4)

Barricade: 11 (-1 Toughness, Staggered)

Steel Falcon: 8 (-1 Toughness)

Faz: 7

Steel Falcon, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Lysa saw Barricade changing his arm, she intuited what was about to happen and quickly hunched over, protecting her face and torso with her arms. The long metal 'ribbons' of her wings sliced out and around, curving to make a dense cage around her upper body. Magical energy sparked from Barricade's weapon-arm as he launched the enchanted bolt directly at this cursed warforged thing that was making his life so difficult. The bolt hit with the force of a stake launched from a ballista, strong enough to punch through a thick suit of steel mail...

...it impacted one of the 'bars' of the protective shell Steel Falcon had woven around herself and glanced off...thudding heavily into the cobblestone at her feet.

The metal myrmidon immediately lunged forward, even as her wings retracted. The sorcerous thrusters in her feet fired, launching her into the air very briefly on an arc that carried her directly towards where Barricade was standing. She fell fist-first, directly into his face.

Toughness! Toughness: 1d20+9 28

Attack! Melee attack, DC 25: 1d20+10 28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

Barricade Toughness Save (DC25): 1D20+9-1 = [19]+9-1 = 27

Miraculously, Barricade takes no damage!

 

Steel Falcon dropped on Barricade with the force of a small keg of alchemist's fire, and Barricade raised his metal arm. The impact shook through the street, rattling windows and shaking dust loose...

... and Barricade was unharmed, locked in melee combat with Lysa. He was still on the ropes, but not down yet.

Quote

Faz, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faz growled as one of the claws managed to land a hit. The blade rebounded harmlessly from the pale rubbery flesh of his forearm. His instinct was to drop a witty but intimidating quip... but he felt it more prudent to play up his current ogre-ness so instead he just roared and slobbered and made his pupil-less eyes go a little blood-shot and attempted to swat the offending Terror Claw into the wall... and follow through to his nearby compatriots. He kept an eye on the next nearest possible target, in case he could use his momentum to dervish his way over to slam him down as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All failures; three Terror Claws are taken out. The fourth one freaks out and runs, so he's out of the fight unless someone decided to chase him.

There was a mighty swing, and three soldiers of the Emerald Claw went flying. The fourth watched them go, took one look at Faz, and decided that years of radicalization and training mean jack spit in the face of a giant ogre that could sneeze a human in half. He ran.
 

Quote

 

Tobias: 24 (-1 Toughness)

Eagle Claws: 13 (Alpha at -2, Bravo undamaged)

Terror Claws: Out of commission, one of them is running.

Barricade: 11 (-1 Toughness, Staggered)

Steel Falcon: 8 (-1 Toughness)

Faz: 7 (-1 Toughness)

Tobias, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another passed, another left a cut on Tobias' already injured arm. These contraptions unfortunately remained far more resilient. Tobias began reciting the old mantra again, quietly, as he mustered a larger ball of silver and focused it on the already damaged craft.

Spoiler

[Jeremy] 11:15 am: Toughness
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 6+9: 15

Another -1, Dazed until next turn.

[Jeremy] 11:16 am: Power Attack -2/+2
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 15+8: 23

Alpha faces Toughness DC 27

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

Eagle Claw Toughness save (DC27): 1D20+7-2 = [7]+7-2 = 12

Failed by 15; Eagle Claw Alpha is down!

 

Even though the shock of getting skinned by another bolt, Tobias' aim was true. Alpha steered straight into the jet of flame, and the instruments immediately fused; the telekinetic bubble collapsed, and the Eagle Claw fell to the ground, the pilot frantically trying to right the ship.

The second one continued to concentrate on Tobias, but Tobias could tell that he was beginning to lose his nerve...
 

Barricade's artificial arm reconfigured into a nasty looking drill, as he attempted to gore Lysa on it. But it refused to spin up, and Barricade stuttered out a curse of frustration. "W-w-work, you - work, y-y-you - working - work-ki-ing - "

And the Terror Claws were either down or fled, so they didn't have a say in the proceedings.

Quote

Steel Falcon, you have the initiative. What is your action?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We don't have to do this," Steel Falcon said to the heavily damaged man-forged before her. She had a distinct feeling her words wouldn't work...that these were fanatics...but if there was a chance to end this without more violence she'd try for it, no matter how slim that chance was.

"Tell your men to stand down. Surrender to the guard and cooperate."

Barricade's rictus of fury, and his continued efforts to animate his malfunctioning arm, told her that her gut was correct this time.

She aimed a kick at that arm, but he managed to wrench it out of the way before it connected!

Damn it all...I just need one or two good hits in to get him to a place he can't fight anymore...maybe I need to train more before I try this kind of thing.

Attaaack: 1d20+10 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barricade fought off the assault, and shook his head at Lysa's rhetoric.

"W-w-we s-serve something gr-reater-r than ourse-e-elves. The Emerald Claw is l-li-ife fo-for the wor-orthy - "

Quote

Faz, you have the initiative, and there's no more Terror Claws left. What is your action?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faz stepped gingerly over the fallen Terror Claws and approached the battle between the unusual warforged and the Barricade. There was a thoughtful look on his face, exaggerated by his face's monstrous proportions. He didn't want to get in his ally's way or interrupt if this was some kind of a grudge match. He kept his distance as he circled around to block the doorway and otherwise opted not to get involved. 

Well, not involved except for reaching out and swinging his ham-sized fist down on the Emerald Claw agent's skull with all of his might. But that was barely getting involved at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Toughness save (DC 25): 1D20+9-1 = [6]+9-1 = 14

That's his second failure by over 10, so he's down for the Count!

"Worthyworthyworthyyyyyy..."

The half-man, half-warforged slurred down and fell into unconsciousness at the impact of Faz' fist. The remaining pilot in the telekinetic bubble took one look at this, and started to flee the scene of the battle.

Quote

I'm calling it - victory for the good guys! If you want you can chase after the fleeing telekinetic-bubble Eagle Claw, or let 'em go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hee hee. 'Bonk'." Faz grinned at the noise his fist made against the metal infused cranium of his enemy, and at the noise of that same enemy hitting the floorboards of the tavern. His grin was a snaggle of dagger-length teeth of which he was rather proud.

Then he looked up at the Steel Falcon and straightened up, bonking his own head on the rafters. "I hope you don't mind me cutting in there. You definitely had him on the ropes."

 

Spoiler

Where was the last bubble-claw at the end and which way did he go? Are those of us fighting in the common area aware?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steel Falcon regarded the ogre warily, not having seen the transformations from before, so engrossed was she in her battle.

"I...no, of course. Thanks for the assistance. Nice to see citizens willing to lend a hand."

She looked at the fallen Barricade and leaned over to take a better look at that weapon arm of his.

"I've never seen anyone try to integrate magically animated construct with living flesh before. He was powerful, but...that's a huge sacrifice for a person to make."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a thickening of the air, a cloud of mist that reformed into the vampiric form of Ebeneezer. He coughed, self-consciously.

"Possibly may not have had a choice. A lot of people returned from the Last War missing parts of themselves, irreplacable by magic for whatever reason. He may have felt it beat not having an arm at all.

"Now - " Ebeneezer waved towards the fleeing Eagle Claw. "They're going to come back with reinforcements. Perhaps we should vacate the premises?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lysa shook her head. "It didn't have to be a weapon though. Or...I suppose depending on who did the work, maybe it did."

She looked at Tobias and Ebeneezer and nodded.

"Yes, no reason to stay here. Though would they really come back? I realize the Emerald Claw is a powerful organization, but surely this city has guards that will be looking into all this that they'd rather steer clear of?"

If and when people start to move away from there, Lysa follows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Let's take to the rooftops," says Ebeneezer. "They never check up there. There's a particularly nice gargoyle up that-a-way - not an actual gargoyle, mind, this isn't that part of the city."

The group regrouped, atop the building, far enough up that the drop in teperature was felt more acutely by those who still felt the touch of winter. Up there, Ebeneezer opened the lockbox.

Inside was a collection of notes that seemed to do with artifice, something to do with a "Ruby Ray," some kind of pocket-sized magical device - though deciphering further would take some effort - and equally important, there was a map with a location inside the city circled. Scrawled on it was one note: "safe."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steel Falcon leaned in on seeing the papers and scanned them more carefully.

"Ruby ray...I've never heard of something like that. I wonder what it does. May I take these and study them? I think with some time to go over these formulas I should be able to work out what this is."

She looked at the map and added, "Safe. A safe place, or a place that has a safe? Do you know where that is?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faz's first instinct was to sneak away to revert to his normal self, but it seemed that only the warforged hadn't noticed his shape-shifting act and as much as he loved messing with people, this particular person didn't seem like one to be tricky with. At least not tonight. So once the group reached a relatively isolated area he surreptitiously changed back and looked over various shoulders at the contents of the mysterious box.

"This 'ruby ray', knowing these guys is probably something really awful. Like a portable 'ruby ray of all your bits fall off'. If it's in any way related to their collaboration with the children of winter awful won't even begin to cover it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I've no idea if that's a safe house, or a place with a safe. But I do know the location." Ebeneezer tapped the map with a fingernail. "We can be there within the hour. Unless any of you have other business to wrap up?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...